Reviews for Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality
Alyce Reide chapter 70 . 12/27/2019
Cimorene...Linderwall...

Are you insinuating that a princess from a world with dragons and magic and a sentient moving forest, which is really nothing like our world, went to Hogwarts, which is clearly set in a slightly changed version of our world? Or did you just borrow her name?
Majerus chapter 70 . 7/12/2019
Um -
RH sane GS Not chapter 70 . 4/8/2019
Did anyone notice the Snakes and lions were the ones encouraging the stupidly risky plan whilst the Ravens and Badgers were against it
the Honeycomb chapter 70 . 3/25/2019
OMG I LOVE Hermione's decision to not only be a heroine but to open a club of sorts for other ladies to join and spread the heroism bug. And Minnie! I laughed when she surprised Dumbledore by totally backing the girl's club.
Guest chapter 70 . 11/2/2018
And there's every cishet male's way of derailing a discussion about the victimization of women: make it all about men.

"But men can be victims too! Here's a completely irrelevant example!"

The discussion was about what women did and still continue to suffer, not any other subject.
AlenDarkStar chapter 70 . 10/23/2018
A good idea, out of control too.
Arrowman chapter 70 . 6/11/2018
Incredibly entertaining.
moonscape-iron chapter 70 . 8/20/2017
OH MY GOD S. .W. ! There's seriously a lot of hilarity in this masterpiece of yours, but THAT takes the cake for me I just couldn't stop laughing

Really, thank the stars for writers like you, you are amazing.
Guest chapter 70 . 7/26/2017
Just have to say... Cimorene is one of my all-time favorite characters. Hermione does seem to share many similar qualities-excellent character development... even if she can't go off and be a princess to a dragon.

I immensely enjoy the reference as I also immensely enjoy this story.
reader chapter 70 . 4/15/2017
hermione's disgusti n g

but i love your fic uwu
best fic
20/10
ack1308 chapter 70 . 4/7/2017
Oh dear.
The Harrinator chapter 70 . 4/5/2017
As much as I don't want any of the girls to die, at this point I think it kind of needs to happen for them to get the point through their heads that being a hero sucks and is dangerous.
Penguinjava chapter 70 . 12/15/2016
Sphew! Sphew! Sphew! Grrrrrrrrrrl power!
Guest chapter 70 . 11/11/2016
ok, i started of thinking about how the plot twist was boring, and on what whim was this writer supporting women rights. bit, the ending twist was grt.
sunset oasis chapter 70 . 9/3/2016
Damn, I love Minerva. How she handled Dumbledore is classic.
Stalyon chapter 70 . 9/2/2016
There is no doubt that this is a good story, however I do have a minor nitpick about it. I understand and applaud the idea of the premise of the story, which is of course that Harry grew up grounded in science and logic. On its own it is a very fascinating idea, which I think is what has drawn so many people in. My only real complaint with the story is that too many of the other plot elements have also been changed. As an AU fanfic, the author certainly has every right to do as he/she wishes. However, in my mind it really dilutes the intent of the story. It's no longer how Harry would've navigated the original story using the alternate premise, but rather because of the altered plot elements, he is navigating a considerably different story using the alternate premise.

It is that part that somewhat disappoints me. I still don't know what the deal with Sirius and Pettigrew actually is, although the story kind of suggests that Sirius WAS the guilty one. This of course involves Bill Weasley, making him an OOC character too. Indeed, that is the crux of the problem for me. Too many characters have been redesigned for this story, so that it is no longer just about how Harry might've gone about things differently, but rather he is navigating through a sea of very different cast members as well.

If the only characters to have been altered were those in Harry's immediate family, I think the story would have remained much more true to its starting premise. Perhaps the author felt that the story would've been too predictable otherwise, but I don't think that would necessarily have to be the case. The fact that Harry's own reactions to his circumstances would've taken the story to very different places all by itself, would be proof enough that the story need not be predictable, or at least not too predictable.

One other really tiny nitpick; the 'Forbidden' forrest is ACTUALLY, the Dark Forrest. So, the 'Forbidden' forrest is forbidden joke slightly falls flat. Still, this story has some great humor and deserves credit for that. I actually have been enjoying the story, I just wanted to point out an area that has made it more difficult for me to enjoy it more than I do. Otherwise it IS a very good story.
greycat chapter 70 . 8/30/2016
[ "... Dementors will not stop them, nor the deaths of friends, and not discouragement either." ]

Yeeesh.
The Anguished One chapter 70 . 8/19/2016
I feel bad for Hermione here. She'll realizing that Dumbledore isn't being unfair, and why it's a bad idea to try and teach people to be heroes. Wonder how far this goes. Loved the scene with Quirrell testing her too.
Nictis chapter 70 . 2/29/2016
I know I can't be the only one to point this out, but...

"Heroes have to do dangerous things! But we won't ever be in danger, no way!"

I believe a Ravenclaw saying might be that "The difference between bravery and stupidity is determined by if you win." Originally something I heard from Dresden, but I can't remember the quote exactly.
Guest chapter 70 . 2/10/2016
At least we now know how KFC make Hot Wings ...
Guest chapter 70 . 2/2/2016
I had just been wondering if the forbidden corridor would ever get mentioned again. Meanwhile, the Harry/Ender parallels keep on keeping on.
Montara chapter 70 . 1/24/2016
What a start, they now want to go to Dumbledore's third-floor forbidden corridor!
WatchingTheWatchman chapter 70 . 12/9/2015
Dumbledore ought to read "Feminism is for Everybody" or "Power, Privilege, and Difference". His arguments that more boys are just born heroes is the same argument people use for women in computer science or physics, that they're just not born interested in that. Which is demonstrably untrue. Also, it's perfectly possible to discourage young women from being heroes; the hegemonic feminine scripts do a good job of that. Admittedly, it's interesting that the wizarding world doesn't seem to have the gender discrimination in other sectors, so maybe they have different scripts (except the characters don't behave like that)
myownknight chapter 70 . 11/8/2015
omg a Cimorene reference! I loved that series, and I love this fic! I've been chipping away at it for three days, and I am OBSESSED, SO GOOD.
ShadowLDrago chapter 70 . 10/28/2015
Uh, ladies, not to interfere with your heroining, but uh, ever considered that the third floor forbiden corridor is, y'know, FORBIDDEN for a reason?
NhaTrang chapter 70 . 10/15/2015
Lupe Cazaril. (snorts) Not the least of which I love about this fic are your references to other SF&F works, and it's almost a game to see how many references I recognize. (grins)
Cherri202 chapter 70 . 10/8/2015
I have to admit this whole SPHEW thing just makes me really hate Hermione. Dumbledore didn't even say anything about her being a female. Talk about taking a poor assumption to absolve herself of responsibility and running with it.

Honestly, while a lot of your characters are great, you are very hit and miss with Hermione. I don't mind a character that does dumb things, but you tend to change her personality on a whim even if it conflicts with her earlier behaviour. She should be developing as a character, but instead she seems to flip back and forth between entitled princess and overly-helpful, intelligent and a bit arrogant.
Zyxis chapter 70 . 8/19/2015
Oh no. Someone is going to die. I honestly have no idea if you'll have a timeskip or something, but I don't see how you're going to get through the other six years AND the part involving traveling to the stars and merging the Muggle and Wizard civilizations. But I'd love to see you do it. w
JediMindaugas chapter 70 . 8/6/2015
Great story so far. The rationalization from the characters takes them to the whole new direction and the explanations of methods/expriments/philosophies is enlightening.
I only found one quirk in this chapter. Although you took the male/female hero/heroine issue very nicely, you still left out a common misconception about the voting rights. This seemed like a great opportunity to tie that to the draft as the paralel to hero's great risks, fallowed by great rewards.
PA chapter 70 . 5/22/2015
Oh lord ...
ThomasAD chapter 70 . 4/13/2015
I don't know what it is about the wording "set fire to a chicken" that sends me into hysterics. Your Dumbledore is amazing. Possibly my favorite thing about this story is how most of the fic is so serious in both its message and its content yet you are still able to make my cheeks hurt from laughing. The sheer spontaneity and absolute randomness of your humor scenes wrecks my brain every time. Once I regain control of my faculties (it takes a few reviews after nearly dropping my table due to the laughter) I can reflect and be impressed by the fact that I don't feel the humor removes depth but instead adds layers and angles. The first time I read set fire to a chicken (many chapters ago) I suppose I reread the sentence maybe 4 times. Then I reread the context. And then the sentence again a few more confusion until I realized it was indeed a chicken and not Harry thinking Fawkes resembled a chicken. Even though I was clearly told it is indeed a chicken. It is just too bizarre and I have no idea how your mind made those incredibly insane combinations of words. The humor aside, this is an extremely intriguing and inspirational story. You might like to know, if you didn't already, this fic is displayed above some of the actual Harry Potter books when searching Harry Potter on google. I'm very glad I stumbled upon it. Perhaps not as eloquent or as all encompassing as I hoped to word my review, but I'm sure everything I could come up with has been said before. The humor hit me at a time when I myself and my life felt quite serious. Tl;Dr: An excellent escape with hidden life lessons.
Village-Mystic chapter 70 . 4/5/2015
I like the 2 girls from each house thing - even if it was an accident. I love the inter-house unity and friendships.
Guest chapter 70 . 3/3/2015
Are you sure you want to continue to use the word coloured here? If you're so read up on civil issues, you'll know that's kind of a racist term to use these days.
Guest chapter 70 . 2/7/2015
You mentioned Cimorene from the Enchanted Forest Chronicles which automatically means I love you and I figured I should say so. Also, thank you for writing this. It is hilarious AND makes me think which is a rare but good combination.
philharmony chapter 70 . 1/2/2015
And all this time... I had NO IDEA Dumvlefote set a REAL CHICKEN on fire! Thank you crazy Dumbledore, I bow to your insanity.
TheArisingOverlord chapter 70 . 12/30/2014
Ok I love this story but Hermoine and Co. Are being little whinny bitches I mean seriously there is like no segregation for females in the wizarding world,look I'm a guy and not sexist or anything they are overreacting about this
MeiPhantomhive chapter 70 . 9/24/2014
I agree with them but SERIOUSLY?!

Oh, hi Tonks!
Jennifer chapter 70 . 8/3/2014
hermione's being incredibly immature. It actually enfuriates me ALOT. This whole thing is absolutely ridiculous but not funny ridiculous.
I think what quirrel was saying-about how it was a way to get a stab at harry potter and steal the "hero crown" is completely spot on.
thepkrmgc chapter 70 . 8/2/2014
i wonder what draco's been up to during all this chaos, we havent seen him in a while
Arian chapter 70 . 6/14/2014
I'd no idea that Cazaril (that's Lupe -dy- Cazaril !) was ever at Hogwarts. :D Live and learn...
Guest chapter 70 . 6/2/2014
Best fan fic ever.
Grizzmon chapter 70 . 1/15/2014
Hermie, this won't end well...
Dawn Darkling chapter 70 . 12/14/2013
You know, It's nice to see you NOT using the same arguments with similar parameters every time. Every argument is different. Of course, there is the theme "Kids Against Adults" going on most of the time, but that's to be expected, given the cast. (I'm thinking of a crow going "KAA!")
Dragonlord1199 chapter 70 . 6/15/2013
First time Harry meets voldiemort :My name is Harry Potter you killed my father prepare to die
L.E chapter 70 . 6/9/2013
Excellent chapter!
BlueWolf1923 chapter 70 . 2/5/2013
bweeble-bweeble-bweeble. that's a Chaos Legion motto, actually. O.O
Ardwolf chapter 70 . 2/3/2013
"You weren't around for Professor Barney"

Twitch.

Bwha-ha-ha-ha-ha
BreeDante23 chapter 70 . 1/7/2013
Okay, Hermione is just beyond childish right now. Protesting over not being taught how to be a hero? Come on! She's just still stuck in the whole being lost in Harry's shadow. If she wants to be a heroine in her own right, then she should stop aimlessly protesting and going off to look for dangerous quests. Ordinary people have greatness thrust upon them. If she just waits, eventually her chance will appear but going off looking for danger so you can call yourself a hero is just stupid.
illuminios chapter 70 . 1/6/2013
The heroines are on the way to solve all problems of Hogwarts! But, firstly, they have to create it... )
AssortedNerdery chapter 70 . 1/6/2013
I love this story. I get the feeling that we've read many of the same books.

Have you read anything by Patricia C. Wrede? Or did the name Cimorene come from somewhere else?

I know I'm commenting out of order, but I absolutely adore the Chaos Legion and all Harry's references in it, especially to "Ender's Game".

I'd comment more, but this story is entirely too captivating.
WildCard-Yes Man chapter 70 . 1/2/2013
This will end in tears...
redriley2005 chapter 70 . 12/26/2012
Made me laugh out loud. Earlier parts even more so.
Susan M. M chapter 70 . 12/21/2012
Huzzah for references to Patricia Wrede and suffragettes!
chris678 chapter 70 . 12/8/2012
Cough* cough* Enders game cough* cough*
Wendell chapter 70 . 10/20/2012
All that Hero needs is a Monster. And the world is never running out of monsters.
shyd1 chapter 70 . 8/13/2012
I am unashamed to say that I read your reference to Cimorene Linderwall and immediately squeed in happiness!
AM CRAZY ADDICTED TO THIS FIC. MUST PROCEED ONWARDS.
voodooqueen126 chapter 70 . 8/2/2012
lol. This chapter was great. the parodies of a lot feminism are brilliant...
and the line about the 3rd floor and Gryffindor...
HerGoldenHair chapter 70 . 5/25/2012
Hahahaha at the cunning plan to get away with anything! That should happen more often xD Three cheers for inter-House cooperation!
Corinne chapter 70 . 5/11/2012
I've only gotten to the first quarter of this chapter, but I have begun to notice a trend. You like to make Hermione seem mature and intelligent, and have her make a

Mature and intelligent decision, and then you turn around and make her seem like an ignorant, delusional, and frankly irritating fool. I do not like this approach to hermiones character. At times you make her seem like a competitive little bitch (like when Harry beats her in classes), and then suddenly Harry is praising her sky high for her kindness and bravery. Then you have her doubting that her freindship with Harry is really as important as her own, personal success! And she has the nerve to call herself a good friend! And then with the whole SPHEW thing - she just decides that she is going to be a heroine! For NO GOOD REASON! She's just like "why dose Harry get to be a hero and not me? I wanna Always be better than Harry!" so she goes ahead with ABSOLUTEY NO MOTIVATION, and decides to be an idiot. Again. She is completely romanticising using the notion of a hero, and she dose it for whatever strikes her fancy! Sometimes I just want her to go away and leave some of the more DECENT characters alone.
SilkenRoseDreams chapter 70 . 3/20/2012
Aaaaaaahhh! I think I am in love with this fanfic! All the sci-fi references and fantasy references and just plain awesome references like Tom Lehrer just make me squee with joy! I adored all the Ender's Game quotes and the various other interesting little things I picked up on from books I've read, but the Dealing With Dragons reference... I love you sooooo much for this. You would not believe how much I abso-freaking-lutely love you for the nerd-tastic references in this story...

That is all. .
Dimension Kayt chapter 70 . 12/11/2011
There is a lot I could say about this. Like how I've never before found anything so interesting that I would read 70 chapters on my computer when I hate reading off a screen. Like how this is brilliantly conceived and incredibly interesting. Like how I am most definitely looking forward to more.

But what I really wanted to say was how much I laughed when I read Cimorene's name.
AR chapter 70 . 9/23/2011
If everyone was a hero...no one would be.

You have to have the potential to be one...and that can be refined..but the foundation has to be there.

And heroes need their own stories. You cant make a society of heroes and expect it to work...someone has to take charge.

I was always against leagues...but as the boy said: This could all go very wrong
Katayun chapter 70 . 8/20/2011
I love how you reference other books. I jumped for joy when you mentioned Cimorene. Also, I am terribly impressed the thought and intelligence that went into this fic.
Triangular Reasoning chapter 70 . 7/26/2011
Wait, Tonks was in Hogwart? Wow, so if HP is only six years younger than her, she'd be 23ish at the second wizarding war. Dayum, Lupin... that is just... impressive.
egg chapter 70 . 6/29/2011
even after all this time, I still have not found a typo; that's impressive.
Fantastic111 chapter 70 . 6/12/2011
Cimorene Linderwall!

I love your little references to other works. They make my heart go all warm and fuzzy inside!
Slayer End chapter 70 . 5/28/2011
Fascinating.

Forever Signed in Blood,

Slayer End
lostallusions chapter 70 . 5/12/2011
The S.P.H.E.W. chunk is less tightly wrought than the majority of passages, particularly the amazing TSPE sections, but I went to a girls school adjacent to an associated all boys school (with better facilities and out of school groups and a shared board of governors), and recognised what was going on as echoes from events and debates back there. It isn't surprising that the characters involved aren't as clear-sighted and consistent as your rationalist exemplar, or that some would fail to take on board a clear explanation of feminism. I remember encountering individuals with similar baffling failures to take certain ideas in school and since, even when their own experience was relevant. I also recall the puttering out of the fires of protest when ideas generated in the heat of the moment turned out to be half-baked, and how some protests descended to absurdity but kept grimly going because stopping would have been truly dismal and the point, if not its expression, was still serious. Equality issues are a very difficult topic to cover, especially without just retreading well-covered ground, and you haven't done it badly, plus Quirrel (especially on Tracey's ambition) is great and suddenly Dumbeldore's chicken stunt seems to have a point to it.

Sections without the hero-protagonist of necessity have less of his awesomeness, but 70 chapters into the book you have to have more of the other prominent child characters filled out and taking their own self-development journeys than just Draco and HJPEV* – Hermione certainly had needed more to her to keep her place in the text as anything other than an appendage/device, the more so if she is to affect the tightly bound and solid Draco-Harry-Quirrell band. You had to demonstrate that the force is far less strong in her than Harry and get round that to make her still a player who can affect the balance, and you had to round her out further after going into such depth with D, H&Q. Broadening more of Harry’s other female contemporaries in the process, while simultaneously demonstrating changes to parts of House Sytherin, is no bad thing.

*I love what you've done with Neville, who always seemed hard done by in the original.
MayEvenGod ForgetThis chapter 70 . 4/18/2011
Grammar Eater here. I couldn't help but notice that you used the phrasing "the point is moot" within this chapter (specifically when Dumbledore was speaking to Miss Granger. I would like to inform you in a non-critical manner (as rarely anyone actually knows this with the trend the English language has taken) that the word "moot" actually means "arguable" or "within range of reasonable discussion", so the phrasing "moot point" would actually mean "the point is open for debate"

Sorry if this terribly annoyed you, but I would like to hereafter say that this marvelous story has kept me amused and intrigued for many an hour. I thank you for the gratuitous entertainment. Please keep up the amazing work.
patricia.pc chapter 70 . 4/6/2011
wow, this story was just wow! Sometimes I had to literally run out of a place so I could laugh and laugh and laugh. Now I know why this story had so much response, its simply brilliant and if you continue the whole 7 books it will be larger than a world illustrated encyclopedia with notes. Its been a pleasure, The best of luck!
esscsc chapter 70 . 4/6/2011
Oh, and a review that should be on the next chapter, because I just thought I'd add: I love the S.P.H.E.W. plotline. It makes me happy to read. :)
Kutta chapter 70 . 4/5/2011
Great chapter.

Also, trying to be not very obnoxious about it, could you maybe give a loose timescale as to the continuation of the fic.
magfrump chapter 70 . 4/3/2011
I have been reading this fic for so long, it has taken me far too long to write a review.

I have recommended this fic to essentially everyone I've met. I've had many friends who have greatly enjoyed it and many of them found out about it via other channels.

I have loved every word and every sentence of this fic. If I were to choose a single piece of fiction to take to a desert island, it would be this fic.

That said, there is one thing that I noticed, while reading "Harry's Game," a fanfic of your fanfic.

It seems like you have a very specific plan in place for a huge portion of the fic. For complicated time travel shenanigans and Xanatos pileups like you've had, this is obviously necessary. But in some ways I think it makes the fic feel less fluid. Developments like SPHEW which occur to you later don't have the same integration that other pieces do. The original series of Harry Potter evolved over time, and while that created a huge number of plot holes and inconsistencies, it also felt like life; things are simpler when you're younger, then get more serious as time goes on, and the only real sense of continuity you have is your vague and fading memory of what's happened.

My favorite part of this fic, among all the dozens or hundreds of brilliant moments, was when Harry faced down McGonagall for the first time and retreated to the bathroom to dry heave. That part of the fic was so emotional and so near to my experience. The later parts of the fic, even the more personal segments of TSPE which have extensive internal narrative, don't give me the same gut feeling of being in an intense situation that that early moment did.

Part of that change and my preference for it may come from the fact that I became depressed a few years back, and I've felt the intensity of my emotions fade over time. I would absolutely love to see through this fic that that dulling that Harry felt in the high towers of Hogwarts can return to a rekindled intensity of new experience. I am optimistic that there will be opportunities for this with Hermione's assent to greater heroics and closer friendship, so I hope that you can exploit those opportunities with your amazing writing, as you are so wont to do.

Thank you for making this a part of my life, and a part of the lives of so many others.
Twiggy-Hoyden chapter 70 . 4/3/2011
I've enjoyed reading so far.

Pace seemed a little erratic in early chapters, but seems to have settled into a something more consistent, looking forwards to reading more.
yumeniai chapter 70 . 4/2/2011
Um.

Amazing story - can't say I agree with all the points you raise, but amazingly written and entertaining nonetheless.

The thing with genetics - the way you said it, muggleborns come from long lost descendents of squibs. That's possible. But what about all the half-bloods like Seamus? And even Voldemort himself? Snape? There's too many to ignore, and by your reasoning, one of their parents must also be 'squibs' - except that is obviously not the case, with Tom Riddle senior being from a noble family, and thus able to trace his genealogy back a long time. Even if that were possible, that would imply that the Magic gene is spread across the Muggle world in huge amounts, and that would mean lots more Muggleborns would be present, unlike the number you gave here. It doesn't really make much sense according to genetics. I'm actually more inclined to believe that it's actually several genes that, all together, influence the 'magic' factor, and that it was just a coincidence that Malfoy's results pointed to that direction (as, after all, he wasn't looking at the number of families, but rather the number of children). Insufficient evidence? Also, Hermione might be powerful, but so are Malfoy, Neville, Ron, Harry and Dumbledore, all of which have roots in ancient wizarding families. Hermione might just be an anomaly, which occurs from time to time.

And the thing with Dementor's kiss and comas ... well, the problem with souls in HP cannon is that people that have been Kissed are able to walk, eat, and carry on with daily life ... if explicitly instructed. They're like living dolls, not exactly in a 'coma'. And that, for the Wizarding World, proves the existence of souls. Plus, what exactly are Horcruxes if not fragments of souls? You haven't really explained that part properly yet.

(And what do you mean 'I'm not serious/Sirius'? You can't be serious ... that somebody is impersonating him, and that Sirius is actually guilty and free? Or that he's innocent?)

(Adult Harry will be a pleasure to read. I hope you get that far in your story.)

Anyway, I look forward to future installments of this story! It really brightened my day when I was depressed (though in some parts, it just added to my depression). Overall you present quite a positive view on Humanity and I hope that you'll continue to do such through the rest of your story.
Bezbozny chapter 70 . 4/1/2011
As you know, and have yourself stated, if something as purposeful as magic exists, it had to have been created by intelligent beings. This brings up mounds of thoughts to myself about all the different aspects of magic, and theories about the possible reasons a society could have designed it the way they did.

Prominent among those thoughts were about seers. What was the purpose of seers? Why did the progenitors of magic genetically engineer them (or genetically engineer the extra “seer” marker in their DNA)? What was there job in society? Why didn't they give everyone the seer’s ability?

I think I have come up with a fairly rational answer.

Seers were designed with the purpose of being safety measures.

You see, their sole purpose when they activate “seer mode” is to give self fulfilling prophecies. These self fulfilling prophecies would act as checks and balances in the wizarding world. Say, for instance, if one wizard became to powerful and tyrannical (or met some other set of “bad” conditions whose parameters were set by the progenitors of magic) and could not be defeated by conventional means, a seer would activate and say the perfect series of words that would both predict and cause a series of events that led to the evil wizards downfall. It would have made sense to do something like this, because in a world of such high technology, an especially evil and powerful person could do unimaginable damage. On top of that, this could be a reason that Atlantis fell. It wouldn’t make much sense for a society like that to die, yet have people with its genetic markers somehow live on. Some unlikely series of events brought on by a self fulfilling prophecy is the only thing that makes sense as something that could destroy the society, but keep its people alive.
Jonathan Wallis chapter 70 . 4/1/2011
This fan fic is brilliant, please, please post more updates soon. Please?
Deborah chapter 70 . 3/31/2011
I wonder WHERE this story is going! When will there be another update?
alephOne chapter 70 . 3/30/2011
HP:MoR is so fantastic it has entirely eclipsed the original in my mind.

I'd really like to see a bit more done with the physical geometry of the world. I'm not sure quite what you could do with the ability to flip chirality (the 2-dimensional analog is turning a "p" into a "q" by lifting the letter off the page). Muggle chemical synthesis would certainly be greatly improved (you too can create methamphetamine with OTC pharmaceuticals and a 3-dimensional Mobius strip). Chirality-punking also might lend itself to wizarding pranks wherein someone wakes up and wonders why everything he/she tries to read is mirrored.

I can't wait to see where the story goes next. Keep up the good work! Long live the Bayesian Conspiracy!
Celestina chapter 70 . 3/30/2011
This fanfic is fun and awesome. Please keep up the good work.
Tehee x3 chapter 70 . 3/29/2011
Good chapter update NOW
KuraYouso chapter 70 . 3/29/2011
This was ASTOUNDING. This entire thing. It is EXQUISITE. You've made an AR (alternate reality, which I am putting in here becasue very few people know about it) fic that manages to ACTUALLY BE GOOD. And interesting. And... awesome.

However, there are a few detractions: in the later chapters, basically from TSPE onward, there have been almost no long and involved proofs. I'm not sure why, but that's a bit depressing.

However, you still manage to make this one of the most amazing things I have ever read. Frankly, I want a printed copy.
Artur Hawkwing1 chapter 70 . 3/29/2011
Please Don't drop this story! It's one of the best on FF (no offence to the other authors but they don't combine science, genius, AND good writing skills.) Please don't drop this story!
ev chapter 70 . 3/28/2011
I'm glad Hermione isn't as scheming as Harry, Draco, Dumbledore, and Quirrel. *Someone* ought to be sane, straightforward and honest; I'm sure Harry would appreciate the relief. I would like to know who Hermione's wise old wizard is soon, if she gets one!
admiralskippy chapter 70 . 3/28/2011
Update for the Update god!

Updates for the Update throne!
yamiishot chapter 70 . 3/28/2011
Oh god they're all gonna get eaten by Fluffy.
Nikola Dachev chapter 70 . 3/28/2011
I just wanted to thank you for the wonderful experience Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality has been for me so far! It's been educational, inspirational and very fun reading it!

My only criticism is not to go for too much details on scientific experiments too much in a single chapter. It tips the balance a bit too much to scientific and less fun. But that's just a balance thing. Everything else is quite unique :)

Wish you all well and don't take criticism too seriously it's a great fic and nobody's perfect... not even rational Harry!
Tracy chapter 70 . 3/28/2011
Awesome story!

Update please.
Lelouch's right hand chapter 70 . 3/27/2011
This story is amazing! Please Update soon!
A Fan chapter 70 . 3/27/2011
I apologise for not reviewing this fanfic chapter by chapter as you asked, but I felt I wouldn't have much to say after 20 chapters.

This has been one of the more enjoyable reads that I've had the pleasure of binging on for a while now. Your humour is brilliant and almost Pratchettesque at times. The sheer scope of time in this fic is impressive and interesting. Your characters act according to their motivations and thoughts, which is not something I can say of all fanfic writers.

My only criticisms is that occasionally your paragraph blocks are too large for easy reading and that sometimes your wordings can be a little awkward.

All in all, this is a very good read and I'd recommend it.
Maggie K chapter 70 . 3/27/2011
congratulations, this fic has colonised my brain. when I saw today's SMBC comic you were the first thing I thought of. /?id2196
ariel stormcloud chapter 70 . 3/27/2011
great story
MountainRose chapter 70 . 3/26/2011
Wow. simply amazing. Blisteringly inteligent, coherent and utterly insane. Schitzophrenic, almost.

truly a brilliant bit of sriting. cant wait for the next bit!
cohomology chapter 70 . 3/25/2011
I know how much fun it is to save the world. But sometimes we must do stuff we dont like. So get up and write a new f****** paper.
Reader chapter 70 . 3/25/2011
I'm starting to think this fic has been abandoned. I hate it when authors leave a long story like this unresolved, so please update soon.
Anonymity Suspect 386-21B chapter 70 . 3/24/2011
It took me two full days to read through the whole of this work, and I am very much pleased by what is an excellent example that the 10% of great fanfiction is worth sloughing through the other 90%. I look forward to your next installment.
Nick chapter 70 . 3/24/2011
Hope everything is alright with you. Haven't seen an update for a long time :(
Anonymous chapter 70 . 3/24/2011
Loved the chapter, hoping for a new one already!
DarkRavie chapter 70 . 3/23/2011
Cantwait chapter 70 . 3/23/2011
Review

Yeah, I have the same problem. I wont even start doing anything if it's near that time, I'll just waste time from 9:45-10:20 (i'm on EST). I think an author's note would be nice as well, just to make it clear that this hasn't been forgotten or anything, but I'm holding out hope that the next chapter will be long, or followed closely by a few more.

On a side note, could avadakedavra be used to kill all of the bacteria in a sample of water to purify it? or to kill a virus without disturbing its structure so that it could be used in a vaccine?
Jay-F chapter 70 . 3/23/2011
This is an amazingly well constructed and consistent story. I Love the interactions between Harry, Hermione, and Draco. I really really hope that Quirell is actually Vodemort since that would pose a tremendous dilemma to Harry that I would love to see worked through. I am extremely impressed with how much you have managed to write in a year and hope you can maintain the same quality and quantity over the next year as well. I think my only true complaint is Dumbledore. I wish that he were less... stupid. I don’t mind him being wrong but he seems to have moments of true stupidity that I find unfortunate. Though I suppose it could be that he just does not care enough about some things to pay attention.

Thanks for writing,

Jay
Jonathan Graehl chapter 70 . 3/23/2011
I'm generally a fan. This chapter seems to fall into the trap of "plucky young hero(ine) has plucky dreams, with the loving approval of wise ancients". There's a lot of talking about things that are supposed to be significant. We're supposed to care because we see that the adults care. It's warm-hearted rather than obnoxious, but I hope we don't luxuriate in it too much without actually seeing some meaningful conflict or sacrifice.
The Karlminion chapter 70 . 3/22/2011
You know, for a while it wasn't very funny and I didn't get most of it. But then I read this, and it was funny again and I think I got it.

I should also confess that I learn through humor best; if it's not funny I don't recall it very well.

-Karl
Review chapter 70 . 3/22/2011
I, on the other hand, do not feel bad in the slightest for complaining about lack of updates.

There is a particular danger of absorbing content for free online, and that is the growth of a feeling of entitlement. Because your work on your book is, minute for minute, more likely to demonstrably return monetary value, it is reasonable to focus your attention on that project. The actual work of coding an AI is also, depending on one's estimation of the probability of your success, a worthy goal. However, radical shifts in lifestyle and distribution of power among intelligent agents like the Singularity you expect to cause (or at least catalyze) via FAI are notoriously difficult to predict. The most common timetable I've seen for the Singularity is "if we're lucky, in our lifetime."

In the mean time, you've got a third public project on which to work, which has gained some mainstream recognition. Not all of your readers are futurists, let alone Singularitarians. Leaving MoR unfinished would offer a negative point for the "impression of rationality" column in their minds. This is a problem if you widen the scope of your work beyond "coding AI" to "improving the world."

Leaving this fic undisturbed for the same length of time as your hiatus is damaging to the reputation of rationality itself. Even an author's note suggesting that there will not be an update for another two weeks would be considerate; as it is, I check MoR every night at 7:05, 7:15 and 7:20 Pacific time, just in case your update is a little off the hour mark.

Even if you can't offer content, some sort of update would be the professional thing to do, especially since you've taken the position of "Champion of Rationality."
Almaseti chapter 70 . 3/22/2011
It's okay that Tracey didn't do the insane laughter. I did it for her.
CantWait chapter 70 . 3/22/2011
Ugh, every time I get annoyed about the lack of an update I feel terrible for hoping you're spending time writing and not trying to save the world. One good thing about these gaps is that i've finally dived head first into the sequences. I'm really loving them and the whole Less Wrong community, and I'm hoping to join the NYC Less Wrong Community when I go to college in a year and a half (crossing my fingers for columbia). I think you should include a link in your author's notes to your other fiction. I've only read Sword of Good but I actually really liked it, despite how much story space was left out and how not-happy the ending was. Oh yeah, this is a review, so um, this story is awesome and I can't wait until the story refocuses on Harry.
Mute chapter 70 . 3/22/2011
Read the whole shebang - awesome!
Paganimagus chapter 70 . 3/21/2011
Just re-read it all, as I'm still waiting for the update ;)

I also had to disagree with some fool who disliked the armies.

I LOVE the armies. They're awesome. Especially as they impact on the school background and the minor characters.

I love the Chaotics! Minor quibble: the impact of Chaos should not be the only thing mentioned, even if they stand out more than disciplined Dragons or studious Sunshines.

I'm looking forward to seeing how Harry and Chaos survive with 8 less Chaotics. Which lieutenant did he drop? Which army got whom? And how successfully will they integrate? :D

Thinking ahead, as Frodo's Jedi powers strengthen- what will Sauron get?

Is the final battle to be the generals vs the world?

WE NEED UPDATES :D

I mean, I also want to see Quirrel's plot to grant the Christmas wishes. I expect it to be evil.. :D

On a more mundane level, I just want to see Quidditch without the snitch.

Also- wassup with the Bayesian conspiracy? Just chillin out, reading physics books? Boooring :(

I feel like you're waiting till other members can join (Padma, Hermione). Please do more stuff first!

Immature male plotting is funner.

(Next on my whine agenda)

Will Harry get to take up ground-breaking research again?

I understand that you probably don't want to make Harry OP (already a huge danger)- so its a challenge to make it not too useful- BUT STILL: SCIENCE! The heroism needs to be something adding variety, not a majority dominating it all.

Besides, Harry wants to become a god, not some pesky Hero.

On that note- the quest for Atlantis seems a suitably awesome challenge for an increasingly awesome Jedi-Hobbit. Actually doing that quest seems too incomprehensibly epic to write about, but probing the problem of researching something *erased from time* (!) seems pretty cool. And impossible. Which is what Harry lives for, ain't it?
Xallanthia chapter 70 . 3/20/2011
Thank you very much for this fic; I can honestly say it is the best I have ever read from any fandom (I don't read much, I'm very picky). I started reading on Thursday, stayed up late, read more Friday, stayed up until 7AM, slept till 4, finished by 7PM. In other words I basically did very little else. I even tried to read while fulfilling World of Warcraft obligations. It's especially relevant to me because I married a man very like your Harry: brilliant, rational, etc (though obviously your characters are somewhat exaggerated). The war games made me laugh because they are so much like our own games (board games etc) as far as Harry vs. Hermione: I will win the first 2-3 times while he is trying out crazy strategies and messing around, figuring things out; after that he will roundly trounce me every single time. Similarly, when Petunia wants her husband to just trust her because he loves her... story of my life. I'm smart, but I'm not smart like he is (I was better at school, though :P).

The part that is still making me grin stupidly days later, though: "Why are you upside down?"
teachergirl chapter 70 . 3/19/2011
I guess the only word I have is incredible. With only a few exceptions, I love your story!
gwern chapter 70 . 3/18/2011
A nice suspenseful lead into the Corridor of Doom, which is a long dangling plot point that makes me happy may be resolved soon - there are so many loose ends and possible plots strewn throughout MoR that when I was reading the PDF version a few weeks ago, I felt more and more oppressed as I read because something in my mind was trying to keep track of them all.

On an side-note, some people are interested in making not PDF versions of MoR, but *audiobooks*. There's the start of a discussion over on LessWrong: /lw/3rb/harry_potter_and_the_methods_of_rationality/3pt7

(Of course, no one fan could bankroll a good audiobook of MoR; it'd have to be a community/group effort and so discussions are crucial.)
Nick chapter 70 . 3/17/2011
Update Please! Need my fix :P
Ryan chapter 70 . 3/16/2011
Just wanted to let you know I spend about 10 seconds everyday to check to see if you've updated your story yet.

Keep up the good work.
Stuart Armstrong chapter 70 . 3/16/2011
I love the whole series, as usual. But I can't help but feel that Quirrell is suffering from villain decay. Yes he probably has cunning hidden plans, yes he has a bad influence on Harry, etc...

But what we've seen of him is him getting knocked out, hospitalised, and not visibly acheiving anything terrifying. There are good and cunning reasons for that, but wouldn't it be better to have him visibly win on important things, rather than keeping the threat in the background?

Anyway, keep up the good work.
Fogwood chapter 70 . 3/15/2011
This. All of this. I can't wait.
BluePard chapter 70 . 3/15/2011
I enjoy it when Dumbledore outsmarts himself, but this review goes mainly to the fanartists, in case they read it: Your fanart makes me want to go back and reread the story so I can better remember the context. Considering that this fanfic is _70 chapters_ that's quite a feat, and you should all be proud of yourselves.

Also, I quite admire your ability to keep this story going so long. Even if it weren't as well written as it is, your attention span is quite amazing!
Kathleen chapter 70 . 3/15/2011
I love this story, so much. It is the nerdiest thing I have ever read, and one of the best fan-fictions. Ahh! All of the detail, all of the possibilities, I can't imagine how hard this must be, having to think like Potter and convincing us about the soundness of his arguments, and then Lupin is all, "why didn't you try this?" And then you realize how unnecessarily deadly it all was. How do you keep it all in track?I bet with your rationalist mind, it must be hard to come up with faulty logic, or is it worse to come up with the "perfect" solution? I just discovered this last week, and spent the majority of my free-time gobbling it all up.

I hope all of the girls end up okay! Maybe Hermione can reason with them, and be all, "heroes do things that are right, not just stupid for the heck of it." I fear Hermione is going to cry over it all, about what she created. Be gentle!

My one critique is that sometimes your characters don't seem very realistic. I mean, Dumbles is supposed to be weird, but sometimes it just seems off. As well as Quirrell. I don't believe in that speech he gave after the big underwater battle. I just don't. I felt my suspension wires break. Who would be insensitive enough to say, to a group of eleven year olds, "ask how many people lost someone?" TACTLESS. I wanted McGonagle to smack him. Maybe he was getting ahead of himself, getting more and more into his rant as time went on, but I didn't see that. Still all dispationate. Also: wtf with calling out Lucius in front of a crowd? His frickin son is in the audience! THAT I didn't understand. He said it all non-chalantly, to boot.

You see how invested I am? GOOD WORK.

3, Kathleen

PS:

How often to do you update? Does anyone have a rough idea?
The Fictional Saloon chapter 70 . 3/15/2011
After rereading this Fic I could write a whole bunch of new praises but at the moment I won't, because there are a few things that are really bothersome.

To sum it up: where do you intend to go with this story?

If I kept track correctly, we're still in the second half of the first school year...after 70 chapters. To say this is quiet the accomplishment since there wasn't an uninteresting sub-plot so far is right, but it furthers also the fear that this will be the thing, that in the end will break the neck of this story so to say.

I'm no professor on rationality mind you, but there isn't an endless supply of things you can teach about it to your readers and characters. No endless plot-lines you can pull off before it gets too far fetched.

I don't care that you've already taken up characters and plots from future canon books but there has to be a line somewhere. The sheer amount of character development Harry & Co have grown so far is astounding, but sadly there were already times you had to make them take steps back(read: make them dumber) to pick up their development later again. This can't go on much longer before it gets boring or you make your own ooc-character ooc.

So, since I don't (want to) know how far you've prepared this storyline, I fear I can only see two ways this thing can go at the moment: either it blows up spectaculary as one of the greatest attempts on HP-Fanfiction - OR - you have to loosen up your own writing style to keep this Fic "alive".

Hopefully I wasn't too harsh.

Alex
Bwahahaha chapter 70 . 3/14/2011
So its the girls who are going to go to the forbidden corridor? Are they the ones who will learn about the stone, suspect Snape, show up only to see Quirrel and go 'what but you were so obvious already!'

Harry's not just changing Draco Malfoy's views on the outside world, he's made Hermione look inside at herself and go from "we're just 12 and should not experiment let the adults do it!" to "I will take charge and defy authority if I have to!". That is awesome, I hope someone comments on that!

I really love the dynamics of the armies, not only are the generals awesome in the way they rule (Harry's throne? Hermione's collective leadership compared to the strict ranks in Draco's army?), people like Neville and Blaise really make my day. All the random shout outs (I love Ron's Do Your Homework yell) really stood out. Speaking of Ron, I love how even though he loses to Neville once outside the battle they can get along regarding the Bellatrix issue. I suspect Blaise's mysterious friend is actually Quirrel setting up a show for Harry, but Blaise thinks the show is being set up for Quirrel. Niicceee...

So since you're bringing characters who never showed up in the first book in, will we get to see Lockhart? Whether he's an idiot Harry can talk circles around or whether you'll make him the charmistic influential person, I'm curious to see how you'll portray him! We've already gotten the Slytherin heir and the chamber part settled, so how Lockhart will play a role here is really making me curious!
blashimov chapter 70 . 3/14/2011
I am so pleased that the female characters are not trivialized! This work is a great example of how you can have a female "sidekicks" who are not there just to make the hero look good.
FanBoySalami chapter 70 . 3/14/2011
Rational!Harry makes me feel less alone. Thank you!
SlyGoddess chapter 70 . 3/14/2011
Wow... I don't usually get too far into AU H/HG stories before I have to close the window in exasperation due to all the needless explanation and reasoning for not directly following canon, but I simply couldn't put this one down. This is perhaps the most original story on the site.

I'm not a huge fan of nerdy Harry, but HJPEV IS an extremely interesting character to read, plus all the other characters are flawless.

Really excellent work. I kneel at the feet of your genius.
Cat's Eye Nebula chapter 70 . 3/13/2011
Whoops, says Hermione.

Clearly she did not think ahead to the worst case scenario. There is much for her to learn.
Melissa Trible chapter 70 . 3/13/2011
By the by, if Harry was being entirely honest with himself, he'd realize that ghosts (and portraits) provide at least weak evidence for the existence of souls, or something functionally similar.

That is, they are evidence that minds can be recorded-that the meat is not the message. If you can record something and play it back, then it has at least some existence and reality beyond its source. And if a mind can be recorded without any apparent neural mechanism (for example, ghosts), then it's at least possible that some other process is recording minds in such a way that they're *not* being played back for humans to experience.

And his brain damage argument is a little weak, re: disproving souls. Because the evidence fits all of the following hypotheses (and probably more I'm not thinking of):

1. Souls can be damaged if the medium in which they are housed is damaged in certain ways.

2. The brain is a control interface between the soul and the body, and that control interface can be rendered partially or completely inoperable.

3. Souls are a separate thing from minds, but are instead some "essence" of a person (likely functionally equivalent, from Harry's viewpoint, to 4)

4. Souls don't exist.

I don't think there's any real way to *rule out* the possibility that an afterlife of some sort exists. One can consider it improbable, and one can *certainly* chose to act as though no afterlife exists, but actually trying to prove that it doesn't would be a little like proving that alternate universes don't exist. There is no vaguely honest scientific test I can think of that could disprove the existence of a realm or state that does not interact with our own reality, and from which no one has ever (definitively) emerged. I can think of things that would prove (or at least very strongly suggest) the existence of an afterlife, but none that would in any meaningful sense disprove it.

Things like reincarnation can perhaps be disproven, because those might require specific real-world things to happen, but the concept that at least some part of the human mind goes off somewhere living humans can't access? Not so much.
Melissa Trible chapter 70 . 3/13/2011
I just wanted to say that I love this story to little squishy pieces. I just finished re-reading to this point...
Me chapter 70 . 3/12/2011
Waiting for an update to this awesome story
mcdowellhu chapter 70 . 3/12/2011
Great story! Thanks!
alchymie chapter 70 . 3/11/2011
I can't help contrasting Hermione's current "Don't tell me I'm only twelve, I'm going to be a hero and you can't stop me!" attitude with her previous "We can't experiment with Transfiguration, we're only twelve" and "I'm sorry, Fawkes, I haven't saved anyone yet, I'm only twelve" attitudes, from previous chapters. If this is some sort of epiphany or transformation in Hermione's character, I think it should be remarked on - by Harry, if no one else.
Smeepalicious chapter 70 . 3/10/2011
... Reblogging this now.

And reading all the Sequences.

And quite possibly altering my entire outlook on life.

Because of a *fanfiction*

Are you sure you're not Harry James Potter-Evans-Verres in disguise? Because my life just got a lot more surreal.
Strangeattractor chapter 70 . 3/10/2011
i"Why, that's brilliant, Hermione!" said Daphne in a tone of great amazement. "The way you set it up means we can get away with anything! And I didn't even notice your cunning plan until now!"/i

Ha ha ha ha. I hadn't thought of that either. It's pretty neat.
hellow212 chapter 70 . 3/9/2011
I found this story just a few days ago, and have just finished reading Chapter 70. I absolutely love it. I'm sure it's been mentioned before in the comments, but it seems that Harry's thoughts on Atlantis just disappeared. One minute he was pondering the origins of magic, and the next he wasn't. I'd definitely love to see some more realizations about how magic actually works, I love the science behind it. You're on my favorites list now :)
AlpineBob chapter 70 . 3/9/2011
OK, so this is my second review of chapter 70, and you've asked us to limit ourselves to one per chapter. Sorry. But I haven't reviewed any chapter in a while, so it should even out...

But what I'm wanting to discuss is - this revelation of the chicken. At the time I read the incident, I was under the impression that Dumbledore (Dd) was messing with Harry in exactly _opposite_ the way it now appears.

I thought that every Phoenix, or at least Fawkes in his dotage, just looked like a chicken. And that Dd took the opportunity to PRETEND to slight of hand with the egg just because he likes pranks (witness his tacit support of the twins).

Or just to confuse Harry because he is "inscrutable at everyone, not just witches." And in fact, my theory is still possible if he just has put Fawkes under a charm to APPEAR as a chicken.

Or the whole incident could have been an illusion, especially as Harry didn't smell anything.

Honestly, to change a pebble into a chicken just to then set it afire? That strikes me as evil. Because pebbles have no feelings, as far as we know, whereas chickens, however limited, do. If I thought Dd had actually done that I wouldn't trust him at all. Insane or not. Because that insanity would definitely have a bit of the psychopath as a component...

And this reminds me that Harry has basically aboandoned the whole, "what to eat if intelligence is might be hidden" question. Which strikes me as a shame. If he had thought it through, it is really a question of empathy, not intelligence. Harry doesn't want to be eaten. He knows he doesn't want to eat anything that knows it doesn't want to be eaten. How intelligent does something have to be to know it doesn't want to be eaten? But I digress...

Sorry about the "extra" review. Delete my first one if you want; basically all it said was that this chapter feels like a digression anyway.
AlpineBob chapter 70 . 3/9/2011
I've read this chapter many times now, and I really do like it.

Even though it feels like a digression. The story is, after all, titled '_Harry Potter_ & the Methods of Rationality' - not Hermione Granger's quest for heroic equality. And given that in the notes the author stated he only understood Dumbledore's discouraging actions in previous chapters in hindsight, it seems the feeling is somewhat accurate. Digression or not, I can't help feeling it would be somewhat delightful if, after all the development of Harry that we have followed, it turned out to be Hermione who actually saves the day in the end...
ANV chapter 70 . 3/9/2011
Hermione just gets cooler and cooler.

Update soon, please?
New Reader chapter 70 . 3/8/2011
Thanks to this story, I have gotten very little done in the last three days. Thankfully, 70 chapters later, I can get back to my life. (Until 71 comes out.)
b17chofcerberus chapter 70 . 3/8/2011
So basically this is one of the more awesome stories I've read in quite some time. I enjoy it more than I did the original, to be honest, and I love the way the changes to the circumstances turn the original story's events on their head. I have devoured the whole thing in the space of a few days, so it might be a good thing that I have run out of chapters and will have to wait patiently for a while. I'm not a math person, but logic and reason I do understand, as I also can empathize with being too smart for my age/own good (though more in the linguistic area than science). Anyway, I think it's awesome, and I look forward to devouring the next segment with Ravenclawian literary gluttony. _
me chapter 70 . 3/8/2011
Hey I loved this ffic, it's bloody briliant!(a british exclamation, isnt it?). Although, I do wish there was more dialogues to make things a bit lighter, you know what I mean...

Waiting for the next installment, this is the worst commercial break in the history of breaks! Come back my marijuana!
Tripitaka chapter 70 . 3/8/2011
Somehow this chapters Mighty Impressive Dumbledore somehow pales in comparison to the Voice Of Power-User in the aftermath of TSPE, chapter 63... But since his purpose is somewhat different here htat may be negligible. Id love to see more Voice Of Power-Dumbledore!
anon chapter 70 . 3/8/2011
Never read the books, find the mix of magic and science amusing. Have read some of the other less wrong stuff, and as a very biased person it was good to assess why I believe what I do.
ThatJewel chapter 70 . 3/7/2011
I just read this story in less than 48 hours. As a college student, I don't have time/ don't make time to leisure read. Your story is the first in years that has grabbed me and not let go and is definitely on caliber with/ higher quality than some books I have spent my time on in the past.

I had forgotten what it was to get lost in a story. Thank you so much for this. I can't wait for the next update!
Axalion chapter 70 . 3/7/2011
Less Wrong,

I am now sure that this fanfiction is the reason that i joined fanfiction in the first place. So amazing but i really shouldn't say everything now (i have a research paper i need to be writing)so i'll just sum it up quickly. THIS FIC IS WHAT EVERY HARRY POTTER FANFICTION SHOULD BE AND MORE! IT IS AWSOME, AMAZING, WELL WRITTEN, WELL THOUGHT OUT, ADDICTING, , and so on... sorry i needed to get that out. Anyways i can't wait for the next installment of this sheer awesomeness!

I hope that my review helps this become the most reviewed on ffn. Thanks for giving fanfiction a meaning,

Axalion
ejhawman chapter 70 . 3/7/2011
More edits/retcons to past chapters! Irritating. I've a mind to stop reading until this story has a "Complete" tag. Maybe then I can get through it from start to finish without worrying about the past changing on me.

Agree the Matrix omake is the coolest one. "The universe doesn't run on math" - a true horror story for a scientist!

Albus has irritated Minerva recently with his encouragement of Hermione's heroic tendencies. Now Hermione gives Minerva a perfect way to get back. "I explained to them that Wednesday at 7PM would be fine." LOL.

You seem to use the movie appearance for Sinistra, where she is played by a black woman. Fair enough. You also posit she is in her 70's, but the actress looks much younger. That's the thing about witches, it can be hard to gauge age from appearance. Minerva, in the books, is also mentioned as still having black hair in 1991 - though we don't know the extent of dye usage in the magical world. And she IS the Transfigurations professor; recall a section in one of the later books where she teaches self-transfiguration, assigning students to change their hair color.

The unfair treatment of women in earlier times naturally horrifies modern girls. Witches in particular might have been at the forefront of gender equality. There are a lot of stories that assume the dominating fact of life for witches is the pre-modernistic feel of the magical world. They could just as easily be seen through a more Muggle-historical lens: as non-Christians, not greatly attached to Mugglish morality or practices, their troublemaking being a Muggle slur on them to obscure their true sin: having the power to defend themselves and their interests without the aid of men.

(Has this Hermione read "The Feminine Mystique" yet? I'd give even odds for her in canon at this point.)

Dumbles and Quirrell both make good points. The education of the witches progresses. But they soon start paddling up the wrong stream, looking for trouble. More excitement ahead.

All of Gryffindor House has been through the third floor corridor already? As far as they're able to go. Has Dumbles set up an obstacle course there, basically using it as a red herring to distract the students? In canon, it might be postulated as a lure for Voldy, in which case it worked, and others have noted how Harry's presence wasn't necessary for the trap to work.

Let's see what those silly girls get into next!
Grollo chapter 70 . 3/7/2011
I love this fanfic. It was the first fanfic I read and got me started on reading more, but I have not found another one quite as good. It has grown so much on me that I often confuse this for canon, and get confused about wich houses people belong to. The sorting here just makes more sense, as does a lot of things. Going to keep reading!
Phenylalanine chapter 70 . 3/7/2011
I discovered this story by way of a reddit post advertising a speech the author was giving in New York. I don't normally read any fanfic but the idea seemed so intriguing that I decided to take a moment to procrastinate with the first chapter. After finishing I immediately downloaded the pdf of the rest and voraciously read through the rest over the course of a weekend. I would be embarrassed if Methods of Rationality wasn't so rad.

This has inspired me to study rationality by way of Yudowsky's wiki and blog site. In fact, I'm reading through his explanation of Bayes' Theorem at the moment. Brilliant!
Audaks chapter 70 . 3/7/2011
Awesome story. I especially liked the argument with Dumbledore about death. It brought up some ideas I had never considered before and was very fun to read. Thanks
Arun chapter 70 . 3/6/2011
Dude.. Nice chapter. But people like me are waiting for updates!
Heartsinger2 chapter 70 . 3/6/2011
Excellent. Pure gold.
RPGX chapter 70 . 3/5/2011
Your story is Amazing! Continue the EXCELLENT work!

P.S. I don't know if I am strange or not, but I can follow (and understand) what Harry thinks pretty well :D
Swamp Adder chapter 70 . 3/4/2011
This whole fic is brilliant, as I know you've been told many times. I thought the joke would get stale after the first few chapters, but instead it's just gotten more and more dramatic and interesting as it goes on. You've kept me in suspense, wondering how Harry will react when he finally learns the truth about Quirrell. It's also great how you've borrowed so many elements from the books but gone off in almost a completely different direction, plot-wise. Very fun and refreshing. Can't wait for the next part.

P.S. Nice Enchanted Forest Chronicles reference in Ch. 70. ; )
dangerousdame chapter 70 . 3/4/2011
I'm so glad I came across this fanfic! I definitely want to see where it's going (and references to the Enchanted Forrest Chronicles always earn extra points!)
Parker chapter 70 . 3/3/2011
Having read through all seventy pages of this manuscript, I am left with one lingering question. Where might I read more of your work? Have you been published?

Reading through this was an extremely refreshing experience that is both educational and entertaining. It is a sophisticated piece of work presented in a friendly Harry Potter wrapping.

I will be checking back in on monday for the next chapter, and will be looking for more material to devour from this author.

-Parker
NPB chapter 70 . 3/3/2011
Wonderful fic. Some of the ideas in this chapter reminded me of "Diamond Age", where some of the characters were trying to encourage what they called "subversiveness", which was a sort of initiative and independence of thought. The efforts of SPHEW sort of had some reminiscence of this when people started talking about promoting villainous equality for witches as well. Though this evolution of the effort does somewhat take it farther from its connection with one of the things that HJPEV was thinking about a few chapters earlier, with training people to actively do the right thing. Making a decision or mental change because, while people had the potential to learn to behave nobly most didn't express that potential.
Bladeswin chapter 70 . 3/3/2011
BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH I've never laughed at such absurdity in my life! Extremely amazingly hilarious story! You are indeed an excellent storyteller, and the words your characters speak are simply meant to be spoken (and I did indeed read two chapters worth of lines out loud). Good stuff! Please write more!
ZedsDed chapter 70 . 3/3/2011
Reviewing per author directive...

I agree with the notion that the first ten chapters were the funniest. But the comedy-plot pendulum must swing, and I love that this isn't just a hilarious one-shot, but has an actual Plot (and many actual plots - I'm still gleefully anticipating Quirrel's promise-keeping).

Would love to see more Science, and more of the Weasley twins. Maybe in combo.

And finally, I should congratulate you on avoiding, in most cases, the slew of Americanisms which jar so horribly in a British public school context. However, in ch70, you want s/buttons/badges/g

Swahili chapter 70 . 3/3/2011
WOW, this is such a good story!
L.A.H.H chapter 70 . 3/3/2011
Wonderful story. I look forward to more
HadrasVorshoth chapter 70 . 3/3/2011
Great fic! Hopefully you'll get the next chapter up soon, but don't rush it, I've found in my own experience that my own fics die VERY quickly if I rush things... *feels guilt about the fact that I've yet to ever actually finish writing a story since I was 8 years old*

I found a lot of things interesting, mainly Harry's approach to reality... Refreshing to see in a protagonist, and you used various tropes effectively without overdoing them... Which I guess makes sense, after all I did find it on TVTropes (I think it was on the "What the Hell, Hero" page...)...

I'm now going to read your other stories, keep up the good work!

*imagines Death Note as a play, then decides it'd actually be pretty fun to write in that format*
twistyguru chapter 70 . 3/2/2011
lol

Nice Chapter!

Two words: Silly Bints...
artemisgirl chapter 70 . 3/2/2011
Greatest. Fanfic. Ever. I read it straight through, pausing only to eat and pee. I love it! I have never laughed so hard at a fanfic as I have at this one. Chapter 5 was incredible - I could not stop laughing. I hope the humor returns again soon; it's been very dramatic lately, and humor would make a nice counterpoint.

Thank you so much for writing and sharing this with everyone!
Circaea chapter 70 . 3/2/2011
I just wanted to note that MoR is nearly 400k words. According to Wikipedia, that puts it in the same league, sizewise, as _Anna Karenina_ and _Gone with the Wind_. Congratulations!
Rob the Cauliflowerian chapter 70 . 3/2/2011
I felt pretty bad about not writing a review until now, but now that Yudkowski has been revealed to be a living breathing person, I feel worse, so here we go:

This is the best fan-fic in existence. (Note: I assume most fanfics are pretty awful, and haven't read any great ones. However, even among real, published books, very few are as good as this.) It is smart, funny and exciting, a combination I have very rarely seen elsewhere. One of a few examples of hilarious remarks which actual enlighten you (unless you studied AI in college, in which case you smile even more broadly delight):

"The rules seem sorta consistent but they don't mean anything! I'm not even going to ask how a pouch ends in up with voice recognition and natural language understanding when the best Artificial Intelligence programmers can't get the fastest supercomputers to do it after thirty-five years of hard work," Harry gasped for breath, "but what is going on?" "

(Most of the similar amazing lines show up early in the story. Chapter 6 is the best, in this regard.)

In this book Harry Potter is smart. Not the phony intelligence of Ender's Game (and the rest of the series), where the characters are all theoretically "geniuses" but never actually display strong cognitive abilities. Additionally, where most sci-fi books will consistently feel convoluted (Ender stands out again), as the author desperately tries to make utterly bizarre decisions appear intelligent, Yudkowski (who is actually pretty smart) considers what he would actually do in a given situation and then has Harry act. (Fortunately, only Harry [and possibly the antagonist, though it's hard to tell] is particularly bright, allowing the story some needed flexibility.)

This story is funny where it wants to funny, exciting where it wants to be exciting and an enthralling read throughout. It mocks the silly parts of Harry Potter as necessary (see Knuts, Quidditch) but never enough to bog down the story.

A riveting read. Mr. Ebert and I give it multiple raised thumbs.
JChan chapter 70 . 3/2/2011
Sheesh, you sucked me in. This is literally the only long work of fan fiction I have ever read. I always found fan fiction to be pretty much worthless...the few times I did start reading something I would be disgusted right away and quit reading. But the alternate world you've created is so inviting and interesting that I couldn't stop reading. Thanks for the read...I'll be looking forward to more chapters. The only thing I didn't enjoy was how sad I was when I realized you left out Ron and Hagrid because they really aren't very interesting characters. Oh well, doesn't tarnish my enjoyment of the original much.
Hunterw chapter 70 . 3/2/2011
REVIEW PART 2 (ff.n won't let me post the whole review 'cause it's too long; look up or down for part 1):

blockquote

It is because, in logic, the judging subject forgets itself, shows itself incorruptible, that it wins its victories. Just as, on the other hand, people within the narrowest horizons grow stupid at the point where their interest begins, and then vent their rancour on what they do not want to understand because they could understand it only too well, so the planetary stupidity which prevents the present world from perceiving the absurdity of its own order is a further product of the unsublimated, unsuperseded interest of the rulers. Short-run yet irresistible, this hardens into the anonymous schema of the course of history. To it corresponds the stupidity and obstinacy of the individual; inability consciously to link the power of prejudice and business.

/blockquote

We see now why intellect icannot/i take instinct or social pressures as axioms: both imply a particular subject's interests. But if a particular subject's interests are built into the reasoning process, it will be defective. Mere self-interest leaves us with Quirrelmort: escaping to the stars at best, but more likely killing others to ensure his own survival. At the societal level, we are left with the totally reasonable existence of Azkaban (not to mention pure-blood prejudice), and the complete inability of anyone iwithin/i wizarding society to see what's wrong with these things. It is just when an intellect is able to get outside itself, that it is able to reach the correct conclusions about what's right.

blockquote

Such stupidity regularly consorts with moral deficiency, lack of autonomy and responsibility, whereas so much is true in Socratic rationalism that one can scarcely imagine a seriously intelligent man, whose thoughts are directed at objects and do not circle formalistically within themselves, as wicked. For the motivation of evil, blind absorption by contingent self-interest, tends to dissolve in the medium of thought./blockquote

And if this doesn't perfectly describe the Harry that you are trying to write, then I've itotally/i misread your whole story. One might argue that it is not the lack of 'an ambition' that makes someone not a hero (contra Quirrelmort), but the refusal (or at least incapacity) to accept responsibility for the way the world is around you, and to act autonomously to make things (at least marginally, at least locally) ibetter/i. And so we see that Hermione is inot/i morally deficient, even lacking a grand quest. Her acceptance of her autonomous responsibility is just the self actualization that is moral.

blockquote

Scheler's dictum that all knowledge is founded in love was a lie, because he demanded immediate love of the contemplated. But it would become truth if love urged the dissolution of all sham immediacy and thus, of course, became incompatible with the object of knowledge. The severance of thought is not remedied by the synthesis of mutually estranged psychic departments, nor by therapeutically imbuing reason with irrational ferments, but by self-conscious reflection on the element of wish that antithetically constitutes thinking as thinking. Only when that element is dissolved purely, without heteronomous residues, in the objectivity of thought, will it become an impulse towards Utopia.

/blockquote

My take on this last bit is that you can't just synthesize mutually estranged psychic departments, nor can you just mix some irrational feelings into the intellect to fix the feeling-understanding separation. Rather, if the thinker consciously focuses on the wish [desire] at the heart of a thought [i.e. that other-directed goal that motivates the thought, e.g. Harry's absolute rejection of Death as the natural order] then this wish may be integrated so seamlessly into the operation of understanding that it [understanding] will become true intellect: an impulse towards Utopia. This is where the title of the paragraph comes from: a demand that we engage in wishFUL thinking. The key here is that it is thought itself which can be moral, and which can activate moral behavior on the part of mindful creatures (persons).

Thus the Methods of Rationality can show us more than just the simple operational methods of correcting for our inherent biases in understanding the world (though it does that too, and well). It can also show us the essential morality at the heart of our existence as intelligent beings: our responsibility to not just know the world but to change it for the better.
hirsch chapter 70 . 3/1/2011
nice fanfic
MebsTheFiend chapter 70 . 3/1/2011
Oh me oh my, I laughed so hard at this chappy.

Keep 'em comin' :D
Dain chapter 70 . 2/28/2011
Some reviewers have pointed out that we haven't seen much of actual class work since the first day in school (the Patronus lesson etc was more of a voluntary extracurricular thing, wasn't it?) and I agree that it would be interesting to see what is actually taught, and what learning methods are used in a halfway realistic "magical" school and how Harry & Co. have progressed. How exactly does he beat Hermione in Transfiguration when previously, she succeeded with every spell on the first try (talk about being ridiculously overpowered...).

Rowling suffered from the same problem, after all - she was only very vague with the content of the few shown lessons since she didn't quite know what the children were actually supposed to be doing there, every day, every weak, for seven years. I particularly remember how Harry's homework assignment in astronomy in fifth year was exactly the same as in first year - "name Jupiter's moons and describe them, all four of them" (*groan*).
sinj chapter 70 . 2/28/2011
really loved this chapter. Still think they should be renamed SHREWS - would have loved it if Dumbledore had offered it as a suggestion...

Hope we see a bit more Draco in the next chapters.
AlloraSara132 chapter 70 . 2/28/2011
when will the next chapter be?
ARMH chapter 70 . 2/28/2011
Another not-my-favorite-chapter. Hermione is really getting on my nerves. She shouldn't be able to get away with being so immature and so wrong. If she believes that being a hero is just being conscientious and brave and good then why did she have such a low tally of heroes/heroines. How did Quirrell not notice this discrepancy?

Things I would like in the future:

-Chapters including class life (not just past tense references to what happened in class)

-More research on Harry's part (I liked a lot of what Jester of Doom said)

-An insight into draco's mind. is he still planning to overthrow Harry? how much muggle stuff has he learned?

-General Bayesian Conspiracy stuff

-What is Harry doing with his extra hours?

-How is Harry's occlumency training going?

I agree with what many others are saying, and while I am enjoying the story (less so with the past few chapters but that is personal preference and not something that should necessarily be changed) I think the earlier plot lines need to be revisited. I know that Harry is more mature now, and perhaps the tone needs to stay in its current state (i'm totally fine with that), I can't imagine that Harry abandoned his work with Draco or his will to study Magic. He has shown an interest in Wandless and Wordless magic so perhaps he should pursue those avenues. I still love this story, and I wouldnt dream of giving up on it, but it would be awesome if it could return to some of the more interesting plotlines of its beginnings and focus on what Harry is doing to augment his growth.
Reader chapter 70 . 2/28/2011
S.P.H.E.W. - The most laugh I had in a while.

Now, the witches have correctly identified that they have to go by themselves to face the evil and the fear and the dark "and teach it to be afraid". But they have yet to find the difference between mindless fearlessness and fighting with something really evil. But it can wait, at first they have to see whether they can do something despite fear AND not harm anybody in the process. Their quests shouldn't end with heart attacks to teachers, now should they?

Oh-ha-ha-ha-ha!

And if you wonder how I spent the time waiting for this chapter (brilliant chapter!):

Moon Fire - Too much gods, mind-speaking, avatars, unicorns, undead, and romance. Too strong powers are given to main characters, compared to "normal" wizards. And this balance of light and dark... And so you know, I'm an atheist, I don't believe in afterlife, however beautiful tales you weave.

Two Hawks Hunting - First, I don't like psychological healers... Second, too much of bird-language - hawks and owls should have different languages. Third, I don't like ghosts with minds - a ghost (in magical world) is a weak imprint of personality, not the whole personality; and "auras" and mage-sight confuse me. Fourth, the main advantage of wolfen over werewolves would be in healthy lifestyle, I suppose, not in the mysterious "wolfen are better, lighter, so they are stronger; the werewolves are dark and therefore weak". Fifth, the ritual of renewal is really childish, not related to usual, normal magic - probably, you just needed a plausible way to remove dark mark from Severus. Sixth, astral ways (during Harry's coma) and celestial guardians (Dumbledore's sacrifice) are, again, too much.

Though mostly, the idea is brilliant. Harry mourns losses, tries to find freedom in becoming an Animagus, and at first attempt breaks wings and suffers amnesia. The probability of Snape, of all people, finding him, is small, but not tiny. Snape keeping bird to himself is highly probable. But he should be smarter and guess that if Harry is alive and non-locatable, he is an Animagus, and therefore Snape should have checked whether the hawk is an Animagus. Surely, there is a way to check without forcing the bird into human form.

Harry Potter and the Unspeakable - The idea is good. Lonely Snape wants to be an unique, but instead of Death Eathers' membership, chooses to be an Unspeakable. That explains rescuing Harry and selecting proper wand for him. But the flux of events (Malfoy attack and finding Lily's will previously lost) is too fast. Malfoy would know better than to come himself in place of the Snape's boss, he would use some of his pawns, who wouldn't be identified by the wand as dark wizards. And Wizengamot was too cheerful and disregarded proper procedures.

Too quick and short. And don't forget there is this possibility of Voldemort's return.

Chasing the Sun - Strange: Lily uses her love to protect Harry from Voldemort, and BOTH Lily and Harry stay alive. And despite the fact, that it was Lily who defeated Voldemort, all the fame is still given to Harry, The-Boy-Who-Lived. As if Lily was just kept from death to make her friends and son feel better. Not completely logical...

Common Interests - Too evil Draco, not that I'm going to complain...

Not Myself - Why two sacrifices? Jardin AND Severus Snape? WHY? Isn't one sacrifice more than enough?

And I don't enjoy telepathy, empathy and mind-speaking. Parseltongue is enough, thank you.

The idea of Harry Potter growing up on the streets is plausible, considering Petunia's attitude, except... Why locator charms couldn't find Harry Potter?

And again, High Elves and their plane are a bit too much. Normal magic is quite enough, without High Elves.

In the Midst of the Night - Too much power, like Necromancers. Usual magic is enough for me, without mingling with death.

Rejected Runespoor - Harry is too sharp, disliking all the people around, and Dumbledore is too sharp, too, destroying Harry's home and hunting him as a deer and separating him from his family. Dumbledore should have persuaded, not forced, Harry to go to Hogwarts. Hope, the wise Runespoor will soften Harry's character and Harry will make some friends here. But I wouldn't trust THIS Dumbledore if I were Harry.

A Father's Sin - Well, you made up the whole Serpents' children scheme just to get Severus to be Harry's father without marrying Lily, right? The book is interesting, especially the part, where Malfoy doesn't want to serve to the-one-who-depends-on-a-book, and destroys the book, effectively showing to the Voldemort how vulnerable he was... and how he can be defeated now, without the book and without the Serpents' children.

Full Circle - Charistrega and Chinese Fox. Too childish and complex. Just like the way how Severus and Remus and Harry fought, with optimism, against the dark spirit-or-whatever. Plain magic, please. My head is overloaded by plain illogical magic, no need to add magic-squared or super-magic-cubed to the mix.

Brighter Morning - Could use a sequel. But not necessary.

Resolution - I like it, but it doesn't change the point, that the whole Dark Plane is unnecessary invention. Surely, if vampires could go through anti-apparition barriers like that, they would be used as assasins for well-guarded persons or thieves from goblins (unless goblins already have anti-vampire wards similar to the French prison, but then why Hogwarts doesn't have them). And defeating Voldemort in several universes at once is too much of a task. Just hope the book gets continued.

Hope the next chapters will be lighter, and Harry's health gets better, and Dark Plane will not be visited again.

Realizations - Interesting... Petunia running away is plausible, Harry mistaking somebody else for his uncle is probable, Harry heading to the Leaky Cauldron later is highly likely, he wouldn't want to burden others with his problems (nightmares/{abusive relative running away}/{strong guilt}/{probable attacks from Voldemort}), but the whole "protective folder" is highly unusual. It looks like the Ministry can potentially invade privacy of any wizard with this folders.

It's just to prevent magical locators from working and to give Harry new family, right? To stop others from controlling Harry's guardianship once and for all, and to assign guardians based on their merits, not political manipulations?

Champions - Realistic. And it would be good for Harry to attend the same school as Fleur. It would be the first book where Harry goes to French school instead of Hogwarts. Waiting for update.

The Return of the Marauders - Too bad Dumbledore (putting Compulsion charms on Order members!), and too strong Harry (and his friends). Though, if first Maradeurs made the Map, Harry and his friends deserve to make their own Room of Requirement, which doesn't depend on the Headmaster.

An Aunt's Love - Very interesting... Why couldn't Harry be found by a locator charm, instead of looking in all possible schools?

Is there any chance that Voldemort is turned to light side? He fights corruption in the Ministry... I don't understand what happened with him.

How does Dumbledore know that TomHarry? Did Hogwarts tell him?

Hope that Dumbledore helps Harry.

And, I don't like superpowers.

To Shape and Change - A slumbering mage, too much power for Harry. And too small dragon, I would say. But I'm not surprised that it's easy to calm, as a child, or that it speaks parseltongue.

But I like very much the idea of Snape returning in time, with his knowledge, to help Harry as much as possible.

Did Voldemort guess that Snape is a traitor, or not? In any case, Voldemort is furious, that this corridor is only a bait, without the stone.

I have also read "Children of Prophecies". I'm also waiting for updates to "The Boy Who Died".

Overall, I don't like superpowers, and Elven and Dark Planes, Astral ways and Celestial guardians, and Ways of Twilight, and Chronos and Atlantis.

I don't mind (read: I like) somebody wanting to correct a mistake/problem and returning in time, though it might create a logical time paradox.

I like Animagus, but I don't like the idea somebody could have multiple different forms (I have met it in the book where Harry has so much powers after being taught to fight Voldemort, that he goes on "vacation" and messes up the lives of all his friends, and they cannot find him, and when they meet him, they cannot catch him; over-use of Time Turners; too much superpowers).

I like Darcorn (dark unicorn), but don't overuse unicorns.

Again, I don't like when an author describes somebody's stress and nervous breakdown and invokes lengthy healer sessions to deal with it.

My favorite characters are:

students: Harry, Fred and George (don't harm anybody), Ron (when doesn't overreact), Neville (shy, herbs' friend), Ginny (when she isn't jealous of somebody), Draco (when he isn't an evil coward);

teachers: Severus (when he cares not only about members of his house), Remus (always the gentle peacemaker), Minerva (when she isn't overprotective about members of her house), Charms' teacher - duelist (cannot spell his name correctly), Albus (when he isn't too manipulative).

Going to read "All That Glitters", "But For A Dog", "Six Feet and Falling", "Altered Destinies", "The Final Battle".

Now, how is a review of one chapter supposed to be this long, when I cannot overwhelm it with (short) reviews of whole books I have read? I suppose my memory is too short to write properly long reviews.

Good luck! Best wishes! Thank you!
venatorr chapter 70 . 2/28/2011
I'd just like to say that I LOVE your story :D even though I should have done my homework rather than reading it
arkleseizure chapter 70 . 2/28/2011
I had some worries, so I went and did a lot of reading on Less Wrong, and then I came back.

I feel, intuitively, as if Harry must be doing something wrong, but I don't have a name to attach to it - mostly, I think I just want him to sit down, write down all of the various things going on in his life and how they might destructively interact, and devise countermeasures.

In general, though, I like what you're doing. I trust that you have a mostly worked out plotline, and subject to that assumption, I like how you're doing it. In particular, all of the characters seem very *self-consistent,* in the sense that they behave consistently according to their characterization. (The possible exceptions are Harry, mostly because the tone of HPMoR has changed over time and Harry with it to some extent, but that's largely explained by plot, and Quirrell - "inscrutable" seems to be approximately the right word for him.)

I'm still mildly concerned about the Laws of Time, because I expected McGonagall's test to work in Chapter 62, but the best explanations I have are quantum and revolve around the fact that McGonagall was the one who thought of the message to send back in time. I've taken a graduate class in quantum computing, so I have some idea what I'm talking about, but I'm not quite satisfied - and I'd be really impressed if you managed to give a quantum-mechanical explanation that met MoR's standards of lay-readability.

This remains at least one of the top 5 works of fiction that I've ever read.
Charles chapter 70 . 2/28/2011
Sigh...and HPATMOR started off so SO SO well!...

It's degenerated into some self-serving ramblings that never seem to come to any point. There is more to writing than expressing your inner fantasies - it has to have a PLOT (gasp!) and ACTUALLY LEAD SOMEWHERE.

Bah - this has turned out to be one big disappointment.
FanFicBias chapter 70 . 2/28/2011
Man i like the ambiguity with Quirrelmort. You're never sure what that guy is doing.

I was actually inspired enough by the MoR principle of taking a character from a world with a traditional bent and imagining what he would do if he were a rationalist hero. I did it myself in the Naruto world with Shikamaru on here.

"Shikamaru vs the Logical Fallacies" (/plug). Heh.

I've been reading for months and haven't reviewed yet so i figure I'd add to your total.

Also I guess i should say, I don't know if i fully understood why Hermione had to "answer for herself." I would think Flitwick would be puzzled by that too. I for one, think it would be cool for another line or two there about what he means. Is he afraid Quirrelmort would follow her around otherwise? haha his creepiness is awesome by the way.
gwonbush chapter 70 . 2/28/2011
When I started reading this fic I decided that I would review at the end of every year and at the final chapter. I was naive, having such expectations that 400,000 word actually covered a whole year. Even if that many words were multiple with J. K. Rowling. And fanfics generally are more condensed than their novel origins. All else aside, on to the review

The Good: First and foremost, the beginning was completely hilarious, I laughed almost continually from chapters one to 10. Although, that may have been partially the sleep deprivation talking, since it makes funny things funnier. Good plot, all the changes in characters are improvements or at least make the story more entertaining. The references that I caught were entertaining. Let's see: Compleat Enchanter, D&D with the prismatic spells, the always great Ender's Game, Guren Lagaan with the drill spell (could almost hear the shout in the background of GIGA DRIIILLLLL BREAKEEEEEEEEEER!), Fermat's Last Theorem with the too narrow margins, and that is just what I can come up with off of the top of my head.

The Not-So-Good: This fic is at the level where I wouldn't call any thing bad, but there are still gripes. Your version of Quirrell has no canon support and is more like an OC with the same name as Harry's ill-fated first Defense Professor. Even if Voldemort possessed this Quirrell, I cannot picture him becoming the quivering mess that is Canon!Quirrell. As OCs go though, he is a very entertaining and well rounded chaacte that this is only a mild huff thought of while grasping for criticism. The only real complaint is your tendency to have characters be the voice of the author when mentioning situations of previous books that you found the actions of foolish. And in the beginning you tended to cast Gryffindors as generally stupid, when they would often be better described as being foolish or rash. Although as the story progressed, you were truer to their qualities. The quality is not that of simple courage, but the courage to do what is right, no matter the consequences to yourself.

Looking to the future: How will the Sirius situation be resolved is the first question in my mind. Peter was not Scabbers so there goes his incentive to escape. You made it so the defenses included anti-Animagus potions so there goes his ability to escape. And he might even be guilty of the crime he was convicted for in this universe. So the question remains: will Sirius escape or will he rot in Azkaban until such time as Harry has enough power to destroy it? The next question is how many layers does Quirrell have? Is he an attractive evil person, a good person pretending to be like that, an evil person pretending to be... etc. Who killed Narcissa Malfoy and why did this difference between this universe and canon happen? What will SPHEW (an acronym I am not sure how to pronounce) do when dealing with the third floor corridor and will they actually meet someone in there by the universe working towards its full heroic potential? And finally: What the HELL is Harry going to do next?

In short form: great fic, I favorited it by the second chapter.

*scrolls up* This is without a doubt my longest review yet.
Jester Of Doom chapter 70 . 2/28/2011
Hey so I like the story a lot thus far, but thought I’d bring up two issues that had bugged me and some suggestions as to where I thought it may be fun to take things (if you haven’t already got it planned out to the extent where suggestions are worthless). Sorry it’s a bit long.

First off I just felt like pointing out that in the books squibs are rare non-magical children who are born to wizarding families, like Mr. Filch. So the genetics you describe would not actually work. But then again that might just be a quality of your alternate universe so…

There’s also the issue of him not going home. In the book his protection form Voldemort only lasted when he visited home at least once a year until he was an adult. It seems like it would possibly be more beneficial if they did like a yearly daytrip to his parents house with Order of the Phoenix guards. More importantly however I don’t think that the spell said the home he visited had to be the only one his family owned, so if his dad is a professor anyway he could probably wing a month per year to go and stay in a quickly built cottage on Hogwarts’ grounds and have Harry stay with them there for that month of summer.

I also thought of some things for Harry to explore in his studies. And ideas for things that would be helpful to him based on his experiences at this point in the story.

Back on the topic of genetics, if genes control your magic it would be interesting to see what happens if a wizard polyjuiced into a muggle or vice-versa, assuming that polyjuice chances genetics. It’d be an interesting way to make muggles live longer, or a way to make an anti-magic jail without dementors. Also a good way of getting trained scientist who could study magic.

So considering Harry’s first line of study had been what is required to make spells work, and since he expressed envy of it anyway, it would make a lot of sense if harry tried to learn how wandless wordless spells work. He tried different wand and word alterations so I’m surprised he didn’t consider investigating gestureless magic as it is a clear exception to the otherwise apparent rule.

Also considering his penchant for using muggle devices, and now has the concept that his enemies may copy him and use them as well, it would make a lot of sense for him to try to determine why technology doesn’t work in places like Hogwarts. Clearly a simple circuit works based off the car battery experience, it’d be interesting if he tested what limits of complexity are, or if things like chemistry are effected, and tried to work around them (like charming a laptop to work) or discover how to shut down technological devices.

It would also be kind of interesting if he looked into devices that detect magic, there must be something to detect underage magic, and tried to ascertain how that functioned. Because if you know how a detector of something functions there’s probably a good chance you will learn something about what you’re detecting. Like maybe magic all creates radiation he could learn to detect when it’s used or has some kind of wave or particle style properties he could begin to discover tricks concerning, like how to focus it or modulate it.

And on the topic of battle it would probably be very useful to any of the generals to begin enchanting objects for battle. I know in the books Fred and George started selling protective charm items, if they could cast charms that would maintain weak shields or the like it would really change combat. And if you can’t use muggle devices then at least he could perhaps enchant things to act like some devices he knows (like if his entire army enchanted a hoverboard since he cant use skateboards, especially useful if you can focus power like that). I’m also a little surprised Harry hasn’t looked into some kind of enchanted items to ward against mind altering spells considering he thinks about it enough to have set up passcodes and the like.

If you’re looking for more ways to spice up the battles to stress creativity you could also implement magic items to a limited extent. Certain items could be scattered around the battlefield to represent valuable strategic items, like a hard to reach warded strongroom holding a few disillusion cloaks or those compasses you used, or terrain features like stationary prismatic walls. Or they could have spending limits to buy from a list of pre-existing items before battles to allow armies to bring in certain potions or the like. Totally the kind of things I’d implement if running war games.

I realized Harry also hasn’t yet done his library indexing that he’d wanted to and considered that it would be cool if he got a portrait of himself with shelves from the library in the background of the picture. If he ever walked by a painting who was reading a book he’d possibly think of it. It’d be a nice way to collect a lot of books into one magic storage unit as well as gaining access to any other connected painting’s books, and then he could use the painting’s AI to search the books for him.

Also considering Harry has taken up weight training I was wondering if he’d consider the magical equivalent. He has that rock always on him, which probably is somewhat analogous to wearing weights all day in that it burns his magic. He might consider testing to see how much his magic grows over a normal week as compared to a week where he has several difficult transfigurations running at all times and it’s effects on both his transfiguration abilities and his non-transfiguration spells.

Lastly if you’re looking for other cool ways for him to develop his own unique powers I thought of the following. If occlumency is essentially the art of emulating a second mind over your own this might be able to allow harry to emulate his dark side while still staying warm, or vice versa. That however would probably be a bit bad for certain plot stuff at least until much later in the story. There is another trick I thought of however. If he ever does know his memory is going to be wiped he might be able to emulate a small subpocket of his mind to just contain a single brief bit of information, possibly on continuous loop so that it’s not a memory so much as an active thought process, or processed so deeply under occlumency shields that it escapes attempts to modify his memory, and is later triggered by either thinking of his barrier or the phrase ‘I am a potato’ or something. Just the kind of thing to get exactly one important thought out when that’s what someone was trying to erase.

Whew, that was long. Please let me know if you like any of the ideas.
AdamSpitz chapter 70 . 2/27/2011
I keep trying to get my friends and family to read this story, and only about a quarter of them do. I think maybe it's a problem with the title. Some of them lose interest at "Harry Potter", and some of them lose interest at "Rationality", even though I try to explain to them that I'm 90% certain they'll love the story once they've read a few chapters. Maybe try renaming it "The Awesome Story Of Awesomeness That You Will Totally Be Interested In".
Congrats chapter 70 . 2/27/2011
Congratulations on this story being a year old! Or, well, it will be in one day. Uh, maybe it already is in certain time zones? I just wanted to say it so I wouldn't forget tomorrow.
Thomas chapter 70 . 2/27/2011
First of all, salutations for your writing skills, clever wit and scientific knowledge, it makes for one of the greatest things I've ever read.

Second, here's one to the goal of #1 reviewed of all time :P

But onto the actual reviewing, I'm wondering what happened to the earlier plots, before Azkaban. The Bayesian(?) conspiracy, Harry pupiling Draco, Occlumency, the usual class lessons, Snape (for boss points, make him go on a plane), the Weasly Twins as someone just mentioned, Quirrel's christmas wishes, etcetera. All the 11-year-olds plotting that made the early chapters so great, so wonderful. I'd really, really appreciate if those aspects of the fanfic weren't left alone, and I'm secretly hoping that by this bridging chapter you're returning somewhat :P

Oh, and I love dialogue-heavy chapters! And the matrix experience was, surreal. Better than matrix surreality itself.
Him-mione chapter 70 . 2/27/2011
Is Quirrel Voldemort? I don't mean that he's possessed by Voldemort, I mean that Tom Riddle had some major plastic surgery and he's *actually* Voldemort. That bit about witches giving muggle men love potions... "some do...although personally, I don't"-but he is the result of that very action? Just a thought...

I went back and read the additions to chapter 64..."Machines tell elegant lies" is probably one of the creepiest lines I've ever read. Amazing.
aliza chapter 70 . 2/27/2011
GAH. My words fail me when trying to tell you how amazed I am. I have never, ever been in to fanfic, that is, until I read the first few chapters of HPMOR. The whole premise of your story appeals to me (and the rationality part of it allows me to not feel too guilty about procrastinating homework and papers in order to read)! I hope that the Reader Meetup and university talk goes really well. Meanwhile, I will be eagerly awaiting the next chapter! Thank you :)
Silent Avid Magma chapter 70 . 2/27/2011
Well, I suppose I cannot rightly decide what exactly I should say to you since as I have read the story my opinion has changed too often for me to honestly write a review.

I want to flay you alive while thanking you deeply, all at once.

Meh.

~Silence
Pathatlon chapter 70 . 2/27/2011
Haha, this is really funny! Really, really funny! I hope all that generation's girls with become powerful leaders of the magical society in order to prove their point xD

I hope it won't be just Hermione who turns out to be a heroine. And hopefully she'll be a heroine and not sidekick.
shinseina chapter 70 . 2/27/2011
Heck. I love ur works.

Haven't read up to chapter 70th though.

(I'm Indonesian, your vocabulary' killing me , nuh! where's my diktionarie?)
Too lazy to sign in chapter 70 . 2/27/2011
The chicken impression will always be one of the most memorable traits of this story XD

Although it was a bit saddening to see how the protest ended, it did seem to have lead to even more interesting things. Daphne's right, with the way Hermione has gathered the group, another faction is in works at Hogwarts. And we have returned to the forbidden corridor! I am interested in that remark about the Gryffindors already having gone through it. Perhaps its time for a return appearance by the Weasley twins, or more of the often-ignored prefect Percy?

And with Quirrel's questions to Hermione, she seems so well intended and naive even I feel like alternating between protecting her or wishing for more troubles for her to fight.

Love that mention of Tonks! As well as the comment about witches and love potions, as we the readers know canon history...
IodoRor chapter 70 . 2/26/2011
I'm in love with how creative your story is! Just when I thought I'd finally scraped the bottom of the barrel as far as good, worthwhile Harry Potter fanfic goes, here something wonderful pops up out of nowhere and proves me wrong! Keep up the good work!
sithwalrus chapter 70 . 2/26/2011
every time I read that nothing really bad ever happens to students in Hogwarts, I spend a few seconds wondering exactly what percentage of them will be alive by the end of the story. way to jinx yourselves.
w chapter 70 . 2/26/2011
Pretty cool. Why is Q so public with his view of reality? He can hardly hope to convince anyone.
madbrad chapter 70 . 2/26/2011
Weird sort of chapter, the light hearted nature is something of a shock after recent events. I feel like I've decompressed too fast. :-)

Out of curiosity, what are the top 2-3 HP fanfics by number of reviews on fanfiction dot net? I can't see how one can conduct such a search on the site.
wow chapter 70 . 2/26/2011
I've really, really enjoyed reading this. It appeals to the logical, problem-solving side of my brain as much as the emotional, story-loving side. It's like reading a really interesting paper combined with a really interesting novel. Most narrative writing that is so packed with ideas reads like propaganda and lacks empathetic characters-and really lacks a sense of humor-but you've covered all your bases and then some.

This fic is inspiring. Thank you for writing it and for sharing it with us.
ZoobsMaroobs chapter 70 . 2/26/2011
I hope the "Girls can do math too!" arc wraps up very quickly. There was a time when the moderator would ZAP such a trifling issue, saying, "Shock Level has dropped to 0."
Jimbocous chapter 70 . 2/26/2011
Was trying to think of how to describe this story for a friend.

Finally came up with Harry Potter crossed with Douglas Adams, with a few dashes of Monty Python for extra flavour. And that's a good thing. Thanks for a great read so far!
brutti chapter 70 . 2/26/2011
Difficult, isn't it, to define what in the differing career trajectories of average men and women is about society expectation/lack of encouragement and what is about nature? Big questions, few answers. But I liked that you raise it, and the contrast of Hermione's determination to be a hero with meaning, vs some of the girls' determination to be any kind of hero. Quirrell continues to fascinate. I should review this fic more, as I look for updates eagerly.

*Can I be an annoying Britpicky pedant and point out it's probably not the Qualification of Women Act you mean but the Representation of the People Act (also 1918)? The former allowed women to become MPs, the latter gave women the vote (if they were over 30 and only if held property or were married to someone who held property). It also gave all men over 18 the vote, removing all property qualifications for male voters. The Equal Franchise Act 1928 (clue is in the title) finally conceded sex equality in voting.

Thank you. I had a political history itch at the back of my brain till I typed this.
Nigita chapter 70 . 2/26/2011
Very amusing! Completely unexpected turn in the plot. This was a fun chapter.
delilahmedea chapter 70 . 2/26/2011
LOVE the protest, and the support from the female profs. Disappointing in the way it fizzled out, but then real protests often do, alas. It is so hard to keep the energy going when someone like Dumbledore comes and douses the fires of indignation like that.

Also like the way Cimorene Linderwall snuck in- Cimorene of Linderwall was one of my favorite heroines when I was young.
Eternal Density chapter 70 . 2/25/2011
I stumbled across this fic in my latest trip through TVTropes and knew from the concept that it would be too awesome not to read. I was not dissapointed. The first few chapters had me in stitches and it's been a series of crowning moments of all positive varieties all the way.
Ettlesby chapter 70 . 2/25/2011
I don't have much to say, except that this story is absolutely amazing so far.
dinosaurusgede chapter 70 . 2/25/2011
Dumbledore reaction is priceless! I just can't stop laughing reading that part. Thank you Less Wrong, another beautiful chapter, I shall put a fanart for Dumbly'bweeble' face. XD
Dragon Man 180 chapter 70 . 2/25/2011
The part of this arc I love the most is Minerva walking out on Albus in this chapter while he appears to be panicing. And Hermione will make a great hero... but I suggest using Dungeons and Dragons as some inspiration, at least for gear to be enchanted or purchased.
Doug Lampert chapter 70 . 2/25/2011
Hmm, my review of chapter 70 appears to have posted for chapter 1. I don't appear to be able to remove it so I'll ask that Less Wrong do so, and repost here:

Geniusly-Unique: Yes a lot of the girls sound silly, but I don't think it's anywhere close to "incredibly foolish and silly" because they're mostly pre-teens.

I can be quite credible about how foolish and silly pre-teens can be. Especially in groups.

If anything they're too rational and sensible to be credible, they actually come up with a plan and are prepared to execute it on fairly short notice, and the plan isn't COMPLETELY disconnected from their alleged goals (just mostly).

This sort of thing is why groups of pre-teens SHOULD have adult supervision, unfortunately these are at Hogwarts and McGonagall can't be everywhere at once, for one thing she's got the rest of the staff to oversee, and that's enough childish idiocy for most people.
Madrak chapter 70 . 2/25/2011
This story not only entertains, but instructs. But it really, really entertains.

Evidently writing this review is the only acceptable way to reward the author for the fanfic. Wish I could do more in return for this story.
jazzyb chapter 70 . 2/25/2011
Just putting my review in to get this fanfic to the most reviewed HP fanfic position.

I just don't know why you say that your dialogue heavy sections are hard for you - this chapter was easily in my top ten. The words you put in the mouth of Professor Quirrell are spine-tingingly wonderful. I know he's the villain, but he's so brilliant, and his arguments are so good that it's hard for me to root against him.

Whatever you're doing to keep writing such high-quality fiction, just keep it up. This story keeps getting better and better.
Guest chapter 70 . 2/25/2011
Oh my god this is so awesome I don't even

Honestly though, this chapter had me giggling the whole time. I love the way Eliezer made obvious how absurd some kinds of thought patterns are. Also, both Quirrel and Dumbledore are just -ing cool.
Tall Tails - Feline Jaye chapter 70 . 2/25/2011
"Um-" always sums up everything. :D
malcolm75k chapter 70 . 2/24/2011
Well, its good to see some of the older threads being brought up again in this chapter.

I was wondering when the topic of magic assisted rape would come up again. Harry reacted very strongly to it when Draco brought it up, and I thought it strange that it was placed on the back burner for such a long time. "His father's rock" also came back. XD

With the heroines tromping off to the 3rd floor corridor, well, I can see things going very wrong, especially if you intend to have Quirrelmort and Harry have their conflict in a way that is consistent with the original story.

I can see it now, a back and forth discussion that is brutally frank and a lot less "good" than 11yo girls would naturally accept, possibly a revelation of Harry's part in Bellatrix's escape, followed by a situation where Harry may have to let one of them be hurt/killed to have a chance of saving the rest. The scene would end with the scent of burnt flesh hanging in the air, a seared corpse in the background and Harry standing there staring at Hermione with the ashes of his friend and enemy and mentor coating his hands and smudged on his face. A blank look, with the knowledge of a "hero" echoed in the sadness of his eyes.

Or it could be all fluff, or something clever. XD

But it feels like this lot are playing at being heroes without true understanding of the price, despite all the warnings Hermione has read in her books, and the gods tend to punish that type of hubris.
Eli Courtwright chapter 70 . 2/24/2011
"Does some aspect of the world dissatisfy you, that you must remake according to your will?"

I continue to wonder about Lord Voldemort's goals in the MORverse. In canon, he wanted power and he wanted blood-purity in the wizarding world. Assuming that Professor Quirrell basically is Voldemort (which seems probable but not certain), it's hard to see his goals as being quite that simple. I've reviewed everything that Quirrell has ever said, finding especially interesting bits/clues in chapters 19-20, 26, 34-35, 60, and 70. But while I have lots of ideas and theories, nothing is definite, and I mostly just can't wait to see how it all turns out.
Steve chapter 70 . 2/24/2011
Wonderful as always. Absolutely hilarious, and quite profound. I love how Quirell ignores social graces completely, in the favor of complete and total honesty. I don't think that anyone besides Hermione has what it takes to be a heroine, and I think she herself can't stand alone, especially when Harry has the aid of Neville, scion of Longbottom.
Violintide chapter 70 . 2/24/2011
Absolutely amazing as usual, and so great to see the ladies of Hogwarts of all ages get screen time! Hoping that putting you one review closer to the record will encourage more people to enjoy your epic work!
The Monster chapter 70 . 2/24/2011
I'm glad that you don't shy away from the politically incorrect observations of gender differences.

There are more men than women at both ends of the probablility distribution of most measurable characteristics. More geniuses and more morons. More heroes and more villians... There is a very simple explanation for why this is true, which is that individual males are expendable, but premenopausal females are not: A tribe can afford to have some men who stray far from the mean; those experiments that turn out badly, meaning that the man in question fails to reproduce his DNA to the next generation, can be compensated for by those that do better than average. One hunter with superior skills can bring the whole tribe much more game than the difference between an average hunter and an incompetent. The alpha male and the others who are the best hunters/warrriors can take multiple mates if necessary, to make up for the men lost doing dangerous things, and the tribe can continue to produce children at the same rate.

But the reverse isn't true. If women get into the habit of doing dangerous, dare I say "heroic" jobs like hunting vicious animals and fighting battles against other tribes, and those women die (or have their reproductive systems damaged to the point that they can't reproduce), the other women can't really do much to pick up the slack. Yes, this is a double standard. We instinctively want to defend women against danger. We don't want them "going after the darkness and teaching it to be afraid". Dammit, that's a man's job!
Liz chapter 70 . 2/24/2011
Long time fan of your work! Marvelous escapism, while plunging into the depths of what it means to be "reality."
Anonymous chapter 70 . 2/24/2011
"We'll show him! We'll show them all!"

Harry has mad scientists as his unconscious role models? :-)

I would say Professor Quirrell is one of the most -maybe the most- interesting and complex villains I've ever seen in any form of fiction ... except I'm still not sure if he is overall a villain in this story. But questioning simple labels like that is the way it should be, reminiscent of the real world in a way. Keep up the outstanding writing.

Unfortunately I live way too far from NYC to travel.
toraffles chapter 70 . 2/24/2011
Um. Is it just me or do these girls sound incredibly foolish and silly?
ThatKyubiBrat chapter 70 . 2/24/2011
Really like Quirrel in this chapter, great job!
Female heros chapter 70 . 2/24/2011
On Chapter 70: It feels more like an interlude than a real HPMOR chapter. I felt the same way about Hermione in the original Harry Potter trying to get the house elves to stand up for themselves; it felt preachy and/or like a parody of an actual protest.

In neither case was I very amused by the distraction, though in the HPMOR case, I'm hoping that HPMOR goes around a couple of turns that I'm not expecting to get back on an interesting trajectory. It wouldn't be the first time it surprised me.
Turtle Kid the Woolgatherer chapter 70 . 2/24/2011
I keep forgetting how funny the not-supposed-to-be-funny stuff actually is. Well, I mean, you probably wrote it purposefully funny, but in real life it would be considerably less funny until hindsight came into play.
DarkDreamer1982 chapter 70 . 2/24/2011
OMG! This is the BEST fan fic i have ever read. The way you mix the science and the magic, and huge points to you for using actual science and not just making it up to fit the story. I LOVE how you are combining all the hogwart years into one and just your overall story! Are you planning on ending this with his 1st year, or continuing through all years? Holy cow that would be a huge story, would probably have to start a new story for every year. Also, it seems to me that Quirrel is almost like how Tom Riddle would have been before he became Voldy and went crazy. He is like a rational sane Voldimort. If he is vodimort, that would definately give Harry someone to defeat to get let out of hogwarts, but it would make poor harry question so many more things about himself and everyone. Butm he is already questioning alot about Quirrel, so i guess it wouldn't too bad. And it would defiantely explain why he wanted to get Belitrix out, since the weasley's pet rat isnt wormtail. I cant wait to read the next chapter and everyone after it!
Neil chapter 70 . 2/24/2011
I feel like we're somehow moving away from the methods of rationality. Nobody seems to have solved a problem using research or reason in several chapters.
Sarshi chapter 70 . 2/24/2011
Timing! I was just feeling lonely and forlorn and I'd just had a fight in which I debated quite strongly for intelligence and reason as important aspects of life and found myself overwhelmed by arguments that couldn't be beaten. Mind you, when I say that, I don't mean that they were good arguments, or solid arguments, but 'because I'm telling you so' arguments. You can never beat those. Anyway, I was feeling all alone and melancholy in a world that went against brains when I saw that you posted. And reading it made my day after a lot of unmade days.

Minerva was brilliant with beating Albus at his own game there. Hermione - my heart feels for her. She's such a GOOD character that I really want to protect her and make sure that she doesn't get hurt and cynical before she can become strong.

Dumbledore... Dear gods. Isn't it amazing how when you're on a pedestal you can do virtually anything and people will interpret it as wise and correct? I've known a person who had those attributes, but a lot less of Dumbledore's good intentions and Cloud Cuckoolander tendencies. And it was *frightening* to see how everything he did/said was interpreted as being godly and awesome. Even when he sent women off to be prostitutes.

So I'd say I'm siding with Quirrell as far as mysterious old wizards go. Dangerous place to side oneself, but while you can be led on very dangerous grounds, indeed, at least you don't go there with your mind clogged by dreams and imaginary explanations as to how the world works. But I suppose cynicism and negativism have their bad sides and that they can also be quite-

Oh. Had a thought. May I please borrow Quirrell and throw him at the people who've been bothering me? Please? Pretty please?
Chelsea chapter 70 . 2/24/2011
this chapter was a little hard to understand at some points though, like i dont know what anyone was thinking really, or why they were thinking it. hermoine seems uncharictoristically silly here.
Chelsea chapter 70 . 2/24/2011
oh no! silly girls being silly...
The French Dark Lord chapter 70 . 2/24/2011
Too bad I can't make it to NYC!

Keep up the good work!
josh148513 chapter 70 . 2/24/2011
Good chapter
josh148513 chapter 70 . 2/24/2011
Good chapter
NotImplementedException chapter 70 . 2/24/2011
This is the first update since I was introduced to the fic, and I can't say how excited I was to see the bold line in my RSS feed.

I like the direction SPHEW has taken, Quirrel's Hermione-trolling, and of course the chicken.

Unrelated to this chaper:

In exchange for a favor, I recently offered a friend "One cunning plot..."
LCF123 chapter 70 . 2/24/2011
You know, I actually like this story more than the original! Keep up the wonderful work! And thank you!
Kokuyo chapter 70 . 2/24/2011
With the way your main plot twists and turns, you might as well be throwing me curve balls here. I'm looking forward to seeing what you'll come up with next.
Larry Huss chapter 70 . 2/24/2011
Definelty like how you are bringing the other girls into the story, with very distinct personalities.

yrs L. Huss
Anon chapter 70 . 2/24/2011
Maybe I should leave a review to help you become the most reviewed story... so here's what I have to say: I LOVE YOU! I think I actually said that out loud to the screen when Harry asked his troops why they were standing upside down (Ender is my all-time favorite character ever). I laughed out loud quite a few times this chapter, as usual. Keep updating!
Kd7sov chapter 70 . 2/24/2011
Iiinteresting.

I do like reading your cunning!Quirrell. And whatever other points of his I may disagree with, he's absolutely right about one thing - great saints and great villains re made from exactly the same sort of people. (I wish I could remember what part of "Screwtape Letters" I first encountered that in, so I could look it up and get C.S. Lewis' wording.)

It is not often than I facepalm hard enough to hurt my nose, but Hermione's line about not wanting them doing dangerous things was sufficient prompting. I kind of despair of Padma, though - someone hasn't been following forty-nine-year-old scandals. I would venture to guess, in fact, that quite a lot of students have died at Hogwarts over the course of its history.
cosecx chapter 70 . 2/24/2011
I like this mostly, you do a good job of this Mr Less Wrong. Thanks. w00t, one more review and closer to #3, #2 and #1.

PS It could be very deliberate, but the main characters, all seem a bit pretentious, and this annoys me a bit, as it alienates them slightly, however it does leave room for development, which is good!
smallcatharine chapter 70 . 2/24/2011
I think you totally nailed Hermione's character, especially in what she didn't speak out about. Quirrell was also very interesting again, just like McGonagall and Harry himself.

The chicken joke keeps cracking me up as well as the fact that absolutely nobody is interested in the 3rd floor corridor!

Furthermore compliments for achieving a level of editing that's often missing in actual paper books.
Last Alchemist chapter 70 . 2/23/2011
As long as you have courage, sooner or later you will have an opportunity to be a hero. Being a hero is not something you go out and look for. It finds you.

You can go out and look to be a leader. That is different from going out seeking to be a hero. Hermione in this epic fanfic is already a successful leader. And that is pretty good for an 11-year-old with an army of older kids.

Hermione was merely upset at being "typecast" as a "sidekick," as if being heroic was not a fate that was open to her. As Dumbledore admitted, this was really a miscommunication. Which means that Hermione's heroic-level courage shown in protesting Dumbledore to his face, forced the headmaster to back and fill a bit. I like the approving nod that Harry gave her.
AckSed chapter 70 . 2/23/2011
That's 1-1 to the head of Gryffindor, I feel. ;-)

Nice reminder of Tonks there.

While the science has taken a back seat, the story's grown marvellously. Keep it up!
just me chapter 70 . 2/23/2011
But what they're not thinking of is that heroes don't just do dangerous things, they do them to cause good things to happen.

Also, there are possible other reasons for the apparent discrepancy. Why didn't Dumbledore point them out? Hermione is only counting heroes who were written about- what about heroes who died, failed, went about their good deeds anonymously, fell prey to Lockheart? (That last one might well affect more female heroes than male.) What if heroes often get their wands broken or stolen? If that's the case, male heroes would have a slightly better success rate. Also, what about people who are strong enough of character to be heroes, but not trained, and so die trying without being successful? Sexism in teachers could definitely skew THOSE figures. And she's (probably) not counting heroes who don't do flashy, adventurous things. People who are heroes through their work as doctors, lawyers, firemen or any other such people whose jobs lend themselves to important and difficult choices (what does it mean to be a hero, after all, if not to make the right choice when it's both important and difficult?) but not necessarily to publicity.

It's also possible that there are MORE female heroes, but most of them are braver than the men or otherwise more attracted to lost causes.

Also, you can only be a hero based on your own value system. What if female graduates of Hogwarts are disproportionately committed to causes most people wouldn't approve of or think of as necessary? Or what if there are causes most people think of as good that really aren't, and disproportionately many females realize that?

I guess it's a defining flaw of Hermione's that she looks for answers in books and numbers, but surely Dumbledore should have pointed out at least one of these possibilities!

Or what about a reporting bias- male and female heroes in equal numbers, but females not reported on as much even if they do the same things as the men?

Or females resolving the situations when that's simple and not very flashy, as opposed to males letting it get out of hand and solving it when it looks cool to do so?

I hope YOU see these possibilities, at least.

Seriously, everyone seems to be carrying the Idiot Ball this chapter. Quirrell is to some extent correct in that you can't just say "I want to be a hero" or anything. Heroing can't be a goal. It's a pattern that certain ways of meeting certain goals fall into.

Do you notice that listing professions I listed doctor and fireman? (And lawyer.) Do you realize I could have listed other professions, but (aside from lawyers, who COULD be heroes through their work if they only represented clients where they believed in the clients) only listed those that are occasionally called heroes? But if heroes make the right choice when it's both important and difficult, then surely there are heroes right now who are patients in mental hospitals. There are surely heroes right now who are living in poverty. There are heroes who will never be known as important historical figures.

Getting called a hero involves the luck of being faced with a choice that is not only important and hard, but also public. And by definition the heroes Hermione read about are heroes who are known (perhaps slightly obscure, given how thorough she is, but still KNOWN). She can't read about people whose deeds were a secret.

And why does no one notice that Dumbledore all but acknowledged that their protest was heroic?
libco chapter 70 . 2/23/2011
Consider my mind boggled.
Kate chapter 70 . 2/23/2011
This is great! Keep up the good work! :)
thewanderingmonster chapter 70 . 2/23/2011
Awesome, as always :) And to the authors of the expanded chapter 64: bloody brilliant :D
wisecurledqueen chapter 70 . 2/23/2011
Oh wow. Your set up, from what I can see, will end in utter awesome choas. Thank you so much!

-curledruler
lnky chapter 70 . 2/23/2011
Just a small nitpick in the last chapter, where Padma uses the term "ward"; it is purely a fanon invention - the term used in canon was "magical protection".
PaganiniGirl chapter 70 . 2/23/2011
I love the reference to Dealing with Dragons by Patricia Wrede... that was my favorite childhood book! I like the turn of events. Keep writing!
Vorkosigan chapter 70 . 2/23/2011
Miles Naismith! It always makes me happy to catch those sci-fi references...
outlawpoet chapter 70 . 2/23/2011
Enter a story I'd much rather be reading, although it obviously will have to remain a sideline to your deconstruction of canon.

Really excellent chapter, on multiple levels. Super bonus points for unsupported (but possibly correct) assertions from Dumbledore, and Hermoine floundering to counter.
Niqi chapter 70 . 2/23/2011

This actually makes a lot of sense.

"That's not true!" said Tracey indignantly. "And what's it mean?"

*snort*

"I do too have an ambition!" said Tracey, who seemed to be almost on the verge of tears. "I'm - I'm - I'll figure out what it is by tomorrow, but I have one, I'm sure!"

I friggin love Tracey. Please keep us updated on whatever she decides. XD

Wait, that WASN'T Fawkes?

"No!" spat Tracey. The Slytherin girl was stalking through the hallway looking ready to kill someone, like a miniature female Snape.

Tracey. She fills me with glee.

The girl went on stalking through the corridor, like she had dramatic music accompanying her that only she could hear.

Auuuugh love. XD

And I just thought you should know you made my day by updating. You, sir, are amazing, and one of the only sane people I know. I wish I lived in New York.
timunderwood9 chapter 70 . 2/23/2011
This is sooooo not going to end well.

That and the Matrix bit was brilliant "The universe doesn't run on math". Lol.

Or is that a foreshadowing about what will happen in this story?
Kaouthakis chapter 70 . 2/23/2011
I must say, I quite enjoy it when the characters in this fanfiction take reason, stomp on it, and then chuck it at a plexiglass window. Not out the window, of course, seeing as plexiglass doesn't break that easily. But they still try...

Amusing.
Not-A-Spy chapter 70 . 2/23/2011
This isn't going to end well.
braindoll chapter 70 . 2/23/2011
1. Quirrel starts out the scene "watching with unreadable eyes". Have we just given up on his catatonia now?

2. I bet he has his SPHEW button bugged. Just on the principle of the thing. Maybe a remote-control portkey, too.

3. Dumbledore seems suspiciously clear-headed about his insanity. I mean, suspicious in-story; from out here, it's been an obvious front for a while. Is he really that easy to put on the defensive? "Call me crazy, but don't EVER call me prejudiced."

4. Dumbledore was awfully insistent about that corridor with Harry. It would serve him perfectly right if Hermione gets whatever quest rewards that Dumbledore had planned for Harry. But that can't possibly include the philosopher's stone... because that is a win condition for either Quirrelmort (if he is) or Harry.

5. Now that Fluffy may be coming into the story, I wonder if Harry's assholish rejection of meeting Hagrid was more than the author's prejudice against a character who almost never stops showing off his idiot ball.

6. What did SPHEW plan to say to Dumbledore? I can't believe that they didn't have some demands. There has to be some living heroine, maybe outside Britain... asking Dumbledore to invite her would have been a perfect Protest Demand.
B-A-HPlova22 chapter 70 . 2/23/2011
This is the first review I've submitted in probably 2 or 3 years. I feel that your fic warrants it.

First, let me say this: that your story is one of the few that I can respect. I normally am somewhat ashamed at reading fanfiction as often as I do, but finding your story, I think, justifies it.

Second, and the real reason for my review: the most captivating aspect of your writing is how you somehow *insist* on everything. I don't know how else to explain it, but it makes your writing that much more genuine, and it is a signature in your writing style that I haven't seen anywhere else.

Lastly, I would like to thank you. This story has been instrumental in helping me rediscover my rationality.
NoNeedForIdentityHere chapter 70 . 2/23/2011
One of the improvements over the original in

HPMOR is the lack of having to cringe at

the stupid things Harry does all the time.

At the end of this chapter I had to cringe at the stupidity of the

girls. Though, them being little girls wanting to be heroes,

this sort of stupidity is in character, I guess.

I just hope the consequences won't be annoying.

Bad consequences are good for drama, annoying ones are annoying.

What makes the difference?

Wish I knew.

Good luck with that.
Lu chapter 70 . 2/23/2011
Darn it! I live too far to go to the HPMOR Meeting! WAAAAHHHHH!
ray chapter 70 . 2/23/2011
Great chapter
Little Lion chapter 70 . 2/23/2011
So when should we be expecting a children's book?

Seriously. You've got a knack for embedding lessons into the words and actions of children that reminds me of C.S. Lewis himself. The character development is simple, but strong- giving each definitive, calculable personalities. Your writing style is easy to read while broaching more complex topics; the plotline flows at a steady, engaging pace; you already have a huge fanbase. . . .

Besides that, I'm waiting for the moment that this fanfiction starts getting talked about in the media- maybe even for J.K. Rowling to make a comment. Lucky for us you've got a rational mind betwixt your ears. Thank you for the time and effort, and good luck.
Gerk chapter 70 . 2/23/2011
The 'bweeble-bweeble-bweeble' made me laugh out loud for a good thirty seconds. Excellent touch.
LauralHill chapter 70 . 2/23/2011
I have always been creeped out by the idea of Love Potions, but I find it alarming that no one else is. Even Quirrell's description seems to only creep people out because it's witch vs. muggle.

Also:

i"Well," said Parvati, "has everyone already been through Dumbledore's third-floor forbidden corridor? I mean everyone in Gryffindor's been through it by now -"/i

Really?
Entropic Specter chapter 70 . 2/23/2011
Finally, another delicious chapter. Thanks for this.

What an interesting direction this whole S.P.H.E.W. thing is taking. That four way split of lost points is of course handy... Which might just be a bad thing. We shall see, no?

I wish you and everyone attending a fun anniversary celebration.

Anyway, once more: Thank you. Please keep up the great work and update soon.
LLXxD chapter 70 . 2/23/2011
Hi, just want to say I love this story. I love it for many reasons; it's very entertaining, has good believable characters, it follows your rules of fanfiction, I learn a lot from it and it was through this fanfic that I discovered LessWrong and Overcoming bias

This chapter was as good as usual, and I love dialogue-heavy sections so don't worry about that, I'm sure people wont mind.
badpanda chapter 70 . 2/23/2011
"then he set the chicken on fire-and also he gave me this big rock and told me it had belonged to my father and I ought to carry it everywhere"

Holy crap, I couldn't stop laughing after Harry said that..
Guest chapter 70 . 2/23/2011
It's nice to see an update! I am incredibly intrigued by the latest happenings with the heroines, though it is odd to read a chapter without much Harry in it. The chapter was great, and I especially enjoyed the part where Hermione realizes that Quirell is Harry's Mysterious Old Wizard. This story has become pretty divergent from canon, so I'm looking forward to seeing how much of it you tie back in as the girls go looking for trouble.
godescalc chapter 70 . 2/23/2011
"I worry too much that people will hate dialogue-heavy sections."

This reader is totally happy with the dialogue-heavy sections, especially when Quirrell's involved.
eipiplus1 chapter 70 . 2/23/2011
I can't begin to say how much I enjoy this story. to quote my favorite expression: "its better than the combined forces of crack, sex and chocolate" having an update completely made my day.

reading some of the reviews, boasted, here, I think people really need to notice that all statements made by characters do not represent the view of the author. I would think this would be obvious from the fact that characters disagree with each other, but there you have it. It seems clear to me that Dumbledore's theory that heros are born, not made, is not even true by his own recollection. He himself states that there have been a three fold increase in the number of heros under his managment. clearly, he has a significant effect. ergo, heros can be trained. Perhaps not everybody can be a hero, but it can be encoraged
artloife chapter 70 . 2/23/2011
lol. I love your characterization!
AviendhasTree chapter 70 . 2/23/2011
I think that you are wrong about the idea that heroes are either born heroes or not. I think that there is a significant amount of life experience, early childhood training/play, cultural influences and expectations that go into some of the more stupidly heroic that some heroic people do. Claiming that there is no statistical correlation between these sets of influences and the gender of a child is naive, I think. Especially for anyone who is interested in shaping people's actions.

Observing that there are more male heroes in history books than female ones also dramatically under emphasizes the strong incentives that female heroes have historically had to understate their own role in essentially everything. For hundreds of years, a strong independent female head of a particular cause would undermine its efficacy. True heroes are supposed to care about the change that they are bringing to the world, not the credit that they receive for it - right?

Don't get me wrong. I am just as annoyed with the next person by the kind of protest that Hermione organized. I think that they had their place in the 60s when they had to explicitly fight explicit sexism. But the sexism that is in the world today is not explicit, and therefore needs a different set of tools to fight it. Womens rights protests are like fighting fire with a sword. It is not making anything worse, it is just useless and ineffective.
AOEUIDH chapter 70 . 2/23/2011
The reminder of Harry's dad's rock in this chapter is well placed. I had totally lost track of it.

One of my ongoing dissatisfactions with the story is that it has seemed too full of elements (like that rock) which are introduced and which I expect to play an ongoing and important plot role, but which are then not mentioned for dozens of chapters. It's like there's just *too much* to this book, and it's insufficiently integrated into a single story. One caveat to this criticism: my perception might be caused by reading a chapter at a time over many months, which leads me to forgetfulness. But even considering this, the plot seems a little scattered, like your plan for how things are going to fit together and how important different elements are has been shifting a lot over time.
Aotrs Commander chapter 70 . 2/23/2011
Your Dumbledore is quite possibly my favorite incarnation of the character (heck, he compares extremely favourably to canon!) He is hilariously awesome.

The alternate Matrix was both hilarious (though the He-Man one made me laugh the hardest) and also quite chilling at it's core. There's some real potential in that thought.

Superlative work as always.
Dain chapter 70 . 2/23/2011
Hermione is still walking a fine line between being funny and being dislikable. While I found the SPHEW solution to her existential crisis to be a very uplifting idea, Quirrelmort's comments expressed my thoughts exactly: She better not do this just to rival Harry Potter, because I really really disagree with her attitude on that topic. Of all the causes to seek and devote her time to, out of all the problems in the world, she chooses a pecking order contest as the most important? She should be better than this.

Well, my strong feelings on that matter might have to do with the fact that I personally prefer being the 'second-in-command' to being the 'leader' in a group if given the choice. Less pressure and responsibility, nearly the same amount of influence. If you feel yourself marginalized, go find a better leader. I guess that would make me the wise old wizard if I ever achieve wisdom or old age. XP
TJeanetteT chapter 70 . 2/23/2011
Doesn't sound like their wanting to be heroes is going to turn out so well in the end. It is amusing though. :D
farwalker chapter 70 . 2/23/2011
looks like things are spinning in directions Hermoine doesn't expect...
Arkh Cthuul chapter 70 . 2/23/2011
Adorable.

Had me laughing the whole time...
addicted2text chapter 70 . 2/23/2011
BWAHAHAHAHAHA!

Here's to professor Quirrel, doing a bit of MGTOW in this chapter.

Also I loved the interplay of insane Dumbledore and these silly girls who are now about to have their arses handed to them via attempting to chase down and subdue evil...
Drix chapter 70 . 2/23/2011
I fell out of my seat laughing within the first five paragraphs, I seriously love your Hermione! And your McGonagall!
Animekitty47 chapter 70 . 2/23/2011
The confrontation with the Quirrel was awesome, the one with Dumbledore was interesting too. Though you cetriannly seem to gone with the insanity-pretending-sanity(pretending-insanity) plot for Dumbledore. In the books it was reckless endangerment. Here he just seems crazy. XP

And speaking of the books, you snuck in a Merope reference! Yay! XP

And that line about history and braveryavoiding embarassment was hilarious. XD

Somehow, I doubt the stuff guarding the stone is the same here as it was in the book. I think they will end up in the third floor, if only so Hermione can protect everyone else. XP
s-david-m chapter 70 . 2/23/2011
Another great chapter!
Raineh Daze chapter 70 . 2/23/2011
Quirrel, we don't need your family history. XD

The inches thing always bothered me. Some people have small handwriting, some big, some cramped... such an inaccurate measure of homework.

Beware mysterious practitioners of magic.

Purple IS a colour associated with royalty.

Maybe it's the tendency towards aggression? Heroism is a violent profession. XD

Walking around like there's dramatic music is always fun. Especially if it's stuck in your head.

They're learning to be dramatic, Hermoine. Dramatic and slightly mad.

If there's a giant three-headed dog there, they're fools. If there isn't, they're just walking around an empty corridor and are GULLIBLE fools.
storybookknight chapter 70 . 2/23/2011
Bonus points for Cimorene of Linderwall! I loved those books when I was a kid :) Actually, you get bonus points for Miles Naismith too, even though I only discovered the Vorkosigan books a couple months ago.

But who is professor Barney? Somehow I'm imagining a giant purple dinosaur.
Lara chapter 70 . 2/23/2011
I've got to say, this had better be building up to something EPIC. We've got something on the order of nine million plot threads hanging around by now without much payoff in sight. I don't doubt that you'll pull it off stunningly, but you sure do know how to frustrate a reader in the meantime.
badkidoh chapter 70 . 2/23/2011
another great chapter.
Double-Portion chapter 70 . 2/23/2011
I'm afraid Hermione is the only one with half an idea.
Leona chapter 70 . 2/23/2011
Brilliant!
Raven3182 chapter 70 . 2/23/2011
This is great. I love Hermione, I think she's your best character, and she is definately a heroine. Quirrell taking the time to question Hermione and she if she was "worthy" of his tutorage was a great scene, as was the confrontation with Dumbles. Great writing.

As for your worries about people not liking chapters with lots of dialogue, I think this was great. You don't need lots of action to keep things interesting. For instance, once of the best scenes in Lord of the Rings is a bunch of old people in Rivendel sitting around a table and talking for a while. I think ou can take those 11k reviews you have to mean that people are going to read and like whatever you offer...

I look forward to more! Thanks for writing!
hjcallipygian chapter 70 . 2/23/2011
Dumbledore is awesome.

And it's interesting how you write these characters who just don't get it.

I would think it noteworthy that the mothers who raised children who ran *toward* the danger instead of away from it probably required some heroism to ensure the child survived to even make it to Hogwarts.
jdboss1 chapter 70 . 2/23/2011
So happpy So happpy So happpy So happpy So happpy

thanks for updatsing 2

Wood of love to of went to the book eveny in new york but i am in the uk pooon old me hop some one put it on youtube
Schuikichiro chapter 70 . 2/23/2011
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO I WISH I LIVED AT NY !

As it is i am too far from you ( i m from brazil)

Nice chap i really like some things you wrote... does quirrel reflects your thoughs somehow? if not, where did you get his ideas from?
Rosa Mundi chapter 70 . 2/23/2011
Wow! This is going to be good.
Vlad chapter 70 . 2/23/2011
"bweeble-bweeble-bweeble."

I couldn't read for five minutes I was laughing so hard. Excellent moment in an excellent story.
bakapervert chapter 70 . 2/23/2011
Man, this story really make me understanding the phrase "Hindsight is 20/20".
bethy2-2 chapter 70 . 2/23/2011
Ha, I love S.P.H.E.W trust Hermione to make another protesting group.

It'll be interesting to see how far Hermione goes with the whole hero thing, looking forward to it.
meow114 chapter 70 . 2/23/2011
nice chapter i hope that in the future this becomes a warhammer 40k crossover with harry being an chaos god or the emperor, the way you have writen this story so far i get the idea of him being one of these two options plz update asap.
NothingPretentious chapter 70 . 2/23/2011
Intriguing chapter as usual. I'll be interested to see where the heroism stuff goes.

If, as you say, the bridging chapters are falling a little flat, that simply puts them at 'excellent' instead of the usual 'unintelligbly good'.
Guest chapter 70 . 2/23/2011
Quirrelmort is really quite a disturbing character to read. SPHEW is great though, and I hope the next chapter has more of their adventuring.
Zealot chapter 70 . 2/23/2011
Well, that was so CUTE!
anonymous chapter 70 . 2/23/2011
Fairly weak chapter but bridging is important.
cseeker chapter 70 . 2/23/2011
After reading this chapter, all I have to say is good thing this is a story, cause I'm getting flashes of the Children's Crusade and the young volunteers who joined up in WWI. Real life heroism kills the vast majority of people before they get past trying it out the first time. But then, Hermione is only 12, so she probably wouldn't know that, and more importantly, have experience with it. That, and this is a story.
Gogolu chapter 70 . 2/23/2011
A Bibliophile chapter 70 . 2/23/2011
Please accept this review as a gift for your amazing writing. May it help you achieve your goal of #1 most reviewed HP fanfiction.
Froggie chapter 70 . 2/23/2011
ahaHAHAHAahahaHA! So looking forward to discovering how darkness was taught to be afraid :)
Clem Stanyon chapter 70 . 2/23/2011
Just fantastic. Read it. If it doesn't bring a smile to your face and a tear to your eye, your heart has turned to stone already...
xn3ct chapter 70 . 2/23/2011
Come on S.P.H.E.W.! That's the attitude! I'm really curious to see what they will do. Enjoyable chapter with MoR-Dumbledore been very... MoR-Dumbledory ( crazy & confusing) and Quirrelmort been deliciously Quirrelmorty. We NEED an alternative reality where Prof. Quirrell becomes Hermione's mysterious old wizard, although I don't know how many things one will have to twist and change to make that work.

Lastly I wanted to shout out to Dinosaurusgede: your art is wonderful and it touches me in a strange way. You became the official HPMoR-Illustrator in my mind a long time ago. The comic rendition of chapter 67 is nothing short of amazing!

I also very much enjoyed the new rationalist versions of Moby Dick and the Matrix! Hilarious!

Congrats to Less Wrong on the soon to come 1 year anniversary of MoR, I can't believe it has only been a year. It's really a titanic feature what you have accomplished and I hope for much more to come! I'm very disappointed I won't make it to the anniversary get together in NY (specially since I be heading thre in march) but I hope many others will be able to make it.

Until next installment!
JD chapter 70 . 2/23/2011
Ha! Great chapter as always, but I loved seeing the Vorkosigan shout out, especially since I literally finished Shards of Honor 10 minutes ago. Keep up the good work!
loonyphoenix chapter 70 . 2/23/2011
Voldemort is so great in your story. I can totally see a Dark Lord like that, totally charismatic, lucid and persuasive. A man with an immense diameter.

Dumbledore is great too, of course, but I've come to expect it with Dumbledores, not so much with all the Voldemorts out there.
KGB chapter 70 . 2/23/2011
I like the demonstration and how Dumbledore's wise old man routine backfired. (and how Harry tries to convey to Hermione that this is the kind of injustice that they 'heroes' will be fighting.)

I hope you have fine meeting. I can't come because there's an ocean in between. :)
Flexiloquent chapter 70 . 2/23/2011
Wonderful fanfiction! I just finished power reading the first 69 chapters the past week and was delighted to see a new chapter today! (at 7pm no less) This is by far one of the greatest stories I have ever read. I thoroughly enjoy reading this and have recomended it to all of my friends. I have started reading sequinces, and hope to change my way of thinking.

Thank you.
smittyha chapter 70 . 2/23/2011
Great stuff. Please keep up the good work.
lord Martiya chapter 70 . 2/23/2011
Sorry... Was professor Barney the same as Barney the Dinosaur? THAT would be evil...
November 5th chapter 70 . 2/23/2011
Good sir, I'm afraid to inform you that your fic has caused a public disturbance.

... This chapter really shouldn't be read at 1:30 AM when other people are within hearing range of uproarious choking laughter. The guy down the hall yelled for me to shut up and slammed his door about five minutes after the bweeble scene.

It really was that funny.
abacab chapter 70 . 2/23/2011
Wonderful!
atymer chapter 70 . 2/23/2011
What? He is crazy. He is crazy. He is crazy. Isn't he?

For once Dumpy actions stun me. He went to Canada and nobody noticed until it was too late. Unless of course, he's fighting off an Imperious curse that Voldy (Quirrell) caste, or he's suffering from Dementia and nobody wants to address the issue.

Or else, he just decided to go to Canada in the middle of the conversation and left. I'm sure his body will catch up later.

Poor Mione, I fear she will discover what being a hero really means. Fear, pain and death in immeasurable quantities.

She just may be beginning to understand how much danger is on this path.

Oh my this is bad.
Tiky3000 chapter 70 . 2/23/2011
Finally a decision that can be attributed to be being 11 years old. I wonder if Fluffy is there?
Austin chapter 70 . 2/23/2011
Absolutely love everything you've done. I'm currently reading some lesswrong sequences as well as MoR, thanks so much.

I think you are making a big impact on many lives, keep it up!
Chasing chapter 70 . 2/22/2011
... lol.

XD
Dureth chapter 70 . 2/22/2011
First read through, there are parts of this chapter that are a little dry. (Of course, I know it's not finished, so for all intents and purposes this whole story is a rough draft. Still, I thought I'd say it.)

However, the part that really shines here is professor Quirrel. Sometimes I wonder if you have the CAPACITY to give him a boring line.

He was spot-on about his mother, and I'm glad he had the perspective to see what was going on there. Also, he's absolutely right about women being just as 'bad' as men; they've done studies to indicate that aggression by girls is just as bad as that of boys, girls just tend to be less physically violent. If you're curious, they've done studies on heroism of women too, and the result is that in any case where there is not a physically dangerous/taxing component, like firefighting, women are just as heroic as men.
Oxi-Nu chapter 70 . 2/22/2011
Nice to see another chapter, it has been a while. Seemed a little boring and slow, but honestly I was beginning to wonder if you would ever slow down. Can't wait for it to speed up again. Best fanfic ever without a doubt.
SomeGuyFawkes chapter 70 . 2/22/2011
Thanks for the update.
Math and Chaos chapter 70 . 2/22/2011
Miles Naismith :)
Final-Fan chapter 70 . 2/22/2011
The first review-ish thought I had while reading this was, "McGonagall is (italics) practicing." And while I might not have thought of it otherwise, when I collected my thoughts to write this review I thought, "So is the SPHEW - if Parvati wins out."
Shadowhawke chapter 70 . 2/22/2011
I love the way you really delved into Hermione's head in this one, as well as making her realise a few things about Harry. And damn I wish I could fly to New York. Have fun with the readings! I will be there in spirit.

Mwahahaha.
Curly chapter 70 . 2/22/2011
Love the symmetry between Quirrell/Tracey and Dumbledore/Hermione. Love the image of the devil at the crossroads, tossing a coin. Love this chapter.
Lurking Silence chapter 70 . 2/22/2011
I would so love to come to the meet up but sadly the fastest driving route would take 1 day and 19 hours according to google maps :( sometimes it's hard to be Canadian
White Ivy chapter 70 . 2/22/2011
And this, Hermione, is what comes of not thinking things through.
wassup chapter 70 . 2/22/2011
stupid stupid stupid girls.

you write them well, but i'm wishing there was more to this update than just a dumb protest.
Majin Hentai X chapter 70 . 2/22/2011
Feminism from witches about damn time.
squidbert chapter 70 . 2/22/2011
Brilliant!
unnamed2 chapter 70 . 2/22/2011
particularlygoodfinders, Hermione wasn't shifting the definition of a hero, she was disagreeing with Quirrell about what it takes to become a hero. Quirrell presented the view that the way to become a hero who does extraordinary things is to have an extraordinary goal - an ambition that is outside the bounds of what ordinary people aim at. Hermione disagrees - she thinks that you can become a hero who does extraordinary things while pursuing the thoroughly ordinary and commonplace goal of doing what's right. What's unusual about a hero is their willingness and ability to actually follow through on that goal and take it wherever it leads them.
Darkly Dreaming chapter 70 . 2/22/2011
Did I miss something with the chicken thing? Does Dumbledore actually have a phoenix, or was the fiery chicken thing just a way to explain that? Or was Harry just thinking it was a chicken because it's what his rational brain can understand?

~*SRC*~
Overlooked Supporting Cast chapter 70 . 2/22/2011
Tracey Davis may very well be my new favorite character in the history of everything. There is something so endearingly *real* about a little girl who is determined to *matter* at any cost, though she doesn't yet know why. Even if she never grows beyond this running gag of a personality, I will smile each and every time she makes an appearance.

On a completely different note, there is something sad and sweet about watching Quirrel wax poetic on the failings of humanity as witnessed by cynical observation, contrasted against Hermione recognizing the same foibles by living through them. I could probably write a solid twelve inches on that subject, but I haven't the time at the moment. Thank you, again, for another delightful installment in my favorite serial adventure.
TheWiseSirIvanTheShadowLord chapter 70 . 2/22/2011
The girls definitely sound like 11-12 year old children doing something just because they were told they shouldn't and getting all caught up in their cleverness while they are at it.

Of course Hermione, who tends to display rationale tendencies on occasion when she isn't irrationally following a single line of logic or thought to the exclusion of almost all else, is starting to realize the negative connotations about being heroinic that she was ignoring in favor the positive connotations.

I did love Quirrell pointing out the Dark Wizard bit implying that males are just more likely to overtly mess with people both as Dark and hunters of the Dark. What was not said/implied is the concept that females appear to be more likely to mess with people in a non-overt way (calling it subtle would be giving many way too much credit). I also enjoyed his gender-neutral stance on the potential abuses of power between wizard/witch and a muggle.

If I lived in New York and not Alabama I would be more than merely interested in attending your meeting on the 28th.
Borror0 chapter 70 . 2/22/2011
"I think mostly because I worry too much that people will hate dialogue-heavy sections."

This is just to say I *love* dialogue-heavy chapters the most.
particularlygoodfinders chapter 70 . 2/22/2011
I can't believe that Quirrell let Hermione's equivocation/definition shift of 'hero' slide. She changes the accepted definition of a hero (someone who does extraordinary things, more or less) which she no doubt used in her tally (if she only found 12 in the last 40 years) to the following:

1. Does what's right, repeatedly

2. Not lazy

3. Thoughtful

4. Brave

I would have thought Quirrell would tear that to pieces before making his dramatic exit.

Anyway, another excellent chapter.
Zicou chapter 70 . 2/22/2011
ohoh :) they are in deep sh** :)

Awesome chapter!

Continuuuuuuuue,

Z.
ByLanternLight chapter 70 . 2/22/2011
I love Dumbledore. Really I do.
potterinu chapter 70 . 2/22/2011
Yes oh yes lets see what they get themselves into. This plotline with the girls would make a great story of its own.
boonerunner chapter 70 . 2/22/2011
Dumbledore just told Hermione that you can't LEARN to be a hero. Which is to say that he just challenged the most brilliant witch at Hogwarts to a contest in her stongest area of expertise.

By the end of the year it's only going to be Harry who hasn't made it through the forbidden corridor. Unless, of course, it's like the emperor's new clothes and nobody who said they did has ACTUALLY been through the corridor yet.
2313021 chapter 70 . 2/22/2011
Really love how Dumbledore can go from quiet reflection on the nature of heroism and on his past with Grindelwald and Ariana (even though only he knows this), to making silly noises at 11-year olds in the span of a minute and still be completely in character.
somebody chapter 70 . 2/22/2011
I've grown to like where this is transitioning and no pressure, but I can't wait to see Hermione's Patronus rival Harry's crowning moment of awesome.

That said, I found the previous couple chapters annoying, but this one fixed it all and restored the HPMOR-ness. It was well worth the wait and got the first review out of me even though I've loved this fic from the start and throughout.
Loonynamelass chapter 70 . 2/22/2011
"Nymphadora Tonks, in seventh-year Hufflepuff" - I knew she was young, but I never fathomed they might be in school at the same time. That lends Remus' protestations a little more validity...

Professor McGonagall coughed warningly, and the Head Boy said, "You weren't around for Professor Barney," which made several people twitch. - I giggled loudly at that even before I recognized the purple dinosaur.

Dumbledore put a finger to his lips and twiddled them, making a bweeble-bweeble-bweeble sound. "Albus," said the weary voice of Professor McGonagall.- I love the relationship that Minerva and Albus have. In fact, Minerva just seems to wind up exasperated at everyone.

And nice rousing ending. The necessity of the SPHEW-ness is vaguely unclear, other than resolving Hermione's conflict of being overshadowed by Harry. Which is ironic, because in the series that had always been one of Ron's burdens.

Well, that was my attempt at a meatier review. Thanks for updating! :D
Dreamer In Silico chapter 70 . 2/22/2011
I think I said something similar after the last chapter, but - I'm still laughing my head off that just as I was starting to get disgruntled at your handling of gender in the story, you started prodding that fantasy stereotype. (Also, I hate Dumbledore's guts a little more each chapter.)

In particular, the co-opting of SPEW/SPHEW is hilarious, and I loved Minerva's responses to Dumbledore.

I also thought that Hermione's answer to Prof. Quirrell was perfect - very apropos given her character track. She's so sweet she makes my teeth hurt, sometimes, but you've been setting up a fantastically interesting tension dynamic between her character and Harry's and it works very well. I've got my guesses as to how that will play out, but I suppose I'll have to wait and see how right they are.
Markus Ramikin chapter 70 . 2/22/2011
Did you just hand Hermione's bunch the Idiot Ball?
Gardengirl6 chapter 70 . 2/22/2011
Sweet ever lovin' Louise... remind me that it's a BAD IDEA to read anything that funny after a 2 hour rehearsal that left me with very little voice. Trying to laugh with no voice left is rather painful.

The whole "bweeble-bweeble-bweeble sound" thing just about killed me!

That said, now *ahem* I really have enjoyed this story. I have to wonder where you get these rather bizarre insights, but they're fascinating nonetheless. I hope you have a great gathering in NYC!
ladymirth chapter 70 . 2/22/2011
I can't say for certain, but this might be your best chapter yet. Poor Hermione is discovering that the plans forged in the heat of righteous anger can snowball into something completely unlooked-for very quickly. *cuddles her*

This is actually only the second time that I've seen a Harry/Hermione pairing actually work. Of course, it helps that Harry is nothing like he is in the books. It'd be perfect if I didn't miss Ron so. *le sigh*

Moste Pratchett-worthy Line:

"But she had to carry on, because that was what heroes did, they carried on, and also because it had seemed infinitely too awful to tell everyone she was calling it off. Hermione wondered how much heroism had gone on for reasons like that. Most books didn't say "And then they refused to give up, no matter how sensible it would have been, because that would've been too embarrassing"; but a great deal of history made a lot more sense that way."
m-f42 chapter 70 . 2/22/2011
I think all this talk of heroes and heroines and mysterious old wizards has to be some of the stupidest stuff I have read in a fanfiction that I respected. That being said I have decided to justify it to myself as you showing that despite the maturity of Harry (and others) they are all still just children with childish ideas.
HerrSchmidt chapter 70 . 2/22/2011
"Dumbledore put a finger to his lips and twiddled them, making a bweeble-bweeble-bweeble sound."

It frightens me that I can see this.
Sheaman chapter 70 . 2/22/2011
I've very glad to see this new chapter, even though-or perhaps especially because-someone made a post in complaint of the gap between chapters in LW. I understand that this works better for you, and so you should do it, but it is rather more frustrating for us.

In case you are curious, I do not hate dialogue-heavy chapters, particularly in moderation.

Also, the end of this chapter opens up some interesting possibilities for the next chapter...
Daughter of Ether chapter 70 . 2/22/2011
Every time you mention chaos legion i have to think of harry being a representative of the ruinous powers...

~ja ne
KEVIN chapter 70 . 2/22/2011
Awesome chapter. I love Hermione realizing that Harry's mysterious old wizard is actually Quirrel.
fsdfasefe chapter 70 . 2/22/2011
Too funny!
AspergianStoryteller chapter 70 . 2/22/2011
Oh dear. I have a foreboding feeling. If only I was in NY.
NougatEvolution chapter 70 . 2/22/2011
Oh, god, Quirell was so very in character in this one.

I love the girls, deciding they're invulnerable since they have the same number of members from each house. I wonder where this is going...
JoshuaZ chapter 70 . 2/22/2011
This chapter was very good. A few minor issues: It is funny to have passing references to characters from non-HP works of fantasy as if the characters exist in the universe. That doesn't work as well and is very jarring when the character is someone who is from scifi that is set hundreds of years later (although I'm now wondering what Brothers in Arms would have been like if Miles or his clone had also had a time-turner. Heck, Miles with a time-turner is by itself a frightening idea.)
bissek chapter 70 . 2/22/2011
Miles Naismith? Is the little Admiral going to show up at some point? Or his alter-ego, the Auditor?
ilikebluepineapples chapter 70 . 2/22/2011
"Some do," Professor Quirrell said equably, as though discussing the weather. "Although personally, I don't."

Lol. Personally I'm not a rapist. Just so you know!

But yeah, I appreciate you working Merope's "love" potion into this, because I've always thought that the "hello, /date rape/" aspect of it is ignored by... well, everyone. Partly because date rape doesn't feel like "real" rape, the leaping out from bushes kind, and partly because Merope was a tragic female figure.

Tracey is a very interesting character and I'd like to see what becomes of her. Daphne and the Padma continue to be two of my favorites. I hope this storyline becomes the catalyst for the next big blowup, or, failing that, I at least hope that some of the girls will move into H&H's inner circle.

Moar Draco please, and thank you for the Cimorene reference- she was a childhood favorite of mine, and I'm surprised that you know her.
Sky chapter 70 . 2/22/2011
Loved it! Can't wait to continue reading. I wish I was in New York to come to the reading. I'm starting to love this version more than the original.

My only critique would be: let there be more!