Reviews for Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality
ShadowLDrago chapter 74 . 10/28
Poor Snape has no patience for this shit. Also, that was a creepy ritual, yes. Also, that last line. All the yes.
GreatWyrmGold chapter 74 . 9/10
"Harry, do you not feel that all of this has gotten a bit...utterly and completely out of hand?"
I can't help but feel that some professor, possibly the head of Slytherin, would have predicted this. The term "pet disaster" comes to mind.

Ah, the arguments of children combined with the madness of magic. I'm surprised Hogwarts students don't trick each other into thinking they ate their souls more often.
Zyxis chapter 74 . 8/20
I was wondering how you would reintroduce Harry as the protagonist when the Heroine arc was over, and I have to say, YOU DID IT IN THE BEST WAY POSSIBLE. XD
Concolor44 chapter 74 . 6/17
Oh My Lord In Heaven! My achin' gut! That last section was one of the funniest things I'd ever read in my LIFE!

Now ... as to the earlier section ... where Prof. Quirrel was talking about it being "a very strange thing" that he didn't hate Harry ... that little section, and Harry's chilled response, were quoted in another work I was reading on an entirely different site. That quote is what led me to seek out this work in the first place.

I've said it a few times, and I'll say it again: This is one of the most impressive works of literature it has ever been my happy destiny to encounter. Thank you. chapter 74 . 6/15
~Pansy Parkinson

'Nuff said
PA chapter 74 . 5/24
Village-Mystic chapter 74 . 4/6
The weird thing here, even though Harry is frightened is that he actually has made a friend out of Quirrel-mort. Now I don't know which side of him is actually "warming up" a fraction to consider Harry his friend, but that was amazing. Not quite sure if what is happening with Tracey is all smoke and mirrors or some actually effect of her focusing her magic. The emo/goth joke was funny, though.
did...did Tracy invoke Unlimited Blade Works?
roflmao I love this story XD
philharmony chapter 74 . 1/3
I hope thus story doesnt get really sad, because I kind of have a feeling it will and I'm really enjoying how funny it is right now.
Dovahkiinwolfghost7 chapter 74 . 12/30/2014
TheButterflyComposer chapter 74 . 12/26/2014
I...truly have not met many people as stupid as the first year side characters.
I'm morbidly fascinated to see what happens to them all.
Katrina Evans chapter 74 . 12/14/2014
Can Starkid PLEASE convert this into a script? Please?! I would pay ALOT of money to see this!
jacob.chen.927 chapter 74 . 12/4/2014
You know, Dumbledore has a really good, maybe underappreciated point.

Rational Potter sees the world in the lens of a comic book hero where good needs to fight evil and if good tries hard enough, and plots carefully enough, evil will be defeated. But in the real world, we have tons of "evil", whether its human rights abuses against women, gays, and minorities.

But to put an end to all of these abuses would mean war. The subjugation of women in Saudi Arabia for example may expire gradually over time. But if "we" want to stop it today, it can only be done through war. The same can be said about the subjugation of gays in Uganda or the subjugation of Muslims in Burma.

Dumbledore peggs Harry Potter precisely as the type of boy who wants to make the world a better place but does not fully appreciate the costs associated.
thepkrmgc chapter 74 . 8/2/2014
HarryPotter Nar Ryleh Mwapha Fthagen!

in all seriousness, I really like harry's whole chaos god thing hes set up
Kakareen chapter 74 . 6/14/2014
Why is NOBODY talking about how the bullies LITERALLY wore the costume of the KKK?!
Tallman7 chapter 74 . 6/14/2014
I would say this chapter went off the rails, but that would be predicated on the idea that there were rails to begin with.
Uraharaisgod chapter 74 . 6/9/2014, Harry accidentally may or may not have had one of the other students sacrifice their soul in servitude to him? Not to mention if anybody had any knowledge of Dark Rituals, they may assume that the cost to summon and use Harry's powers is to both sacrifice their soul and also sacrifice a god!

So, Harry now has one minion in servitude Slytherin (L.L) and one (maybe) soul bound in servitude Slytherin (T.D)...

1 million Dark Harry Points
Guest chapter 74 . 6/2/2014
Hahahahaha! She ate my sooooooouuuul!
Deathday Party Planner chapter 74 . 3/8/2014
Very funny! Just great! I chuckled through the whole chapter, but the classroom scene was a true hoot! Thank you!
Siriusly StarKid chapter 74 . 3/5/2014
Wow. All I can say is Wow. I'm only on Chapter 70 something but I thought I should review about now. I don't understand half of what Harry is talking about, all that Science stuff, I don't even get the gist of it, but this whole story is just hilarious. The first few chapters were so funny, I was literally rolling on the floor laughing. This is better than the actual books, and this is the best story on here. Fact. I LOVE THIS! :D :D :D
Xavon Wrentaile chapter 74 . 2/17/2014
SO did Harry really come up with the chant for the Giga Slave on his own (at least within the story), did he deliberately crib it and just not tell QQ, or did he read Slayers a while ago and just not remember where it came from?
Alexja2013 chapter 74 . 2/2/2014
This is one if the only fics where I actually like Draco.. "Why is my life like this?" Lmao
Talonis Wolf chapter 74 . 1/28/2014

... I don't even know how to react... just...

where do you come up with this stuff? You are ingenious!
Makokam chapter 74 . 1/17/2014
Oh. My God.
is the best thing I have ever read.

I can't even form words.
The ending. I swear. It was so CHILDISH but they were all DEAD SERIOUS.

And the chant. so perfect.

And the talk with Harry and Quirell. A true masterwork.

I hate to say it, but I think you'd have to create a significantly advanced technology for this to not be you're greatest achievement in life.

Makokam out.
CMVreud chapter 74 . 1/6/2014
"In darkest day, in blackest night,
your fanfiction makes it all alright."
Guest chapter 74 . 12/15/2013

Leoni Liponscovi chapter 74 . 12/6/2013
RPhysics chapter 74 . 12/3/2013
I find it ironic how Dumbledore is mentioning how one should not try to win every battle, when in the earlier chapters he had protested Harry learning how to lose. Certainly it was the method of how to lose that got Dumbledore enraged, however it still seems a bit ironic :p
Tezi the Waterbender chapter 74 . 11/27/2013
I love the last part, and the second to last part, but best of all is the part where Snape is the one who's been helping them!
Guest chapter 74 . 8/29/2013
"Professor Snaaaaaape!" wailed Pansy Parkinson in tears. "Tracey ate my sooouuul!"

Some lines make reading a whole fic worth it. lol.
Guest chapter 74 . 8/8/2013
"One of the hands turned over, beckoned a finger.

Beckoned verb. Meaning: "To signal or summon, as by nodding or waving. "
For instance: You could summon someone by CROOKING a finger.
But Our Author wants us to believe that "One of the hands" summoned "a finger"?

No wonder this crap isn't available in print.

"The Headmaster was regarding him with increasing graveness." -
It's probably not fair to point out that the right word is not "graveness" but [ahem] "gravity."
How can you call yourself a Rationalist and not know about "gravity". !

Answer: This fan fic is by an American. He can imagine ANYTHING; except how English girls and boys would ACTUALLY talk/act in any credible fiction.

Word to the Other Readers:
ONLY Americans [and, possibly, Canadians] think "Dr" Seuss is a writer worthy of being quoted.
ArthurAlbionKirkland chapter 74 . 7/18/2013
L.E chapter 74 . 6/9/2013
Ha! Excellent ending!
lastcrazyhorn chapter 74 . 4/8/2013
Luna's Meow chapter 74 . 4/7/2013
I saw a guest responding to one of my reviews, so I needed to answer:

Then the interdict doesn't make sense. One, it would still have to affect EVERY SINGLE BOOK OF MAGIC WITH A POWERFUL SPELL. Do you realize how much power that would take? Far too much. (Wasn't shouting, just can't do italics.) Two, unless it always in effect, (which would require even MORE magic) it would only affect past books, and any books written after the casting of the spell would be fine. Like those written after Merlin, but during or before the time of the Founders. Either that, or it's a spell on every parchment and quill and could only affect FUTURE books and not old ones, but that would make the spell useless as you could just put a stasis or preservation type spell on the old books and just use those.

The whole point of grimores is to have magic spells recorded for posterity. If you're worried about secrecy, then you tie the grimore to your bloodline, so that only they can read it. Otherwise, if the spell is only there to be read by only those who already know it, what is the point of writing it down?

The Interdict of Merlin was a contrivance, one that both made a easy out to why magic was "disappearing" (according to Lucius) without him being forced to say muggleborns and mudbloods were responsible in his story, (which actually would have been okay, as long as he made it REAL and not just prejudice) or being forced to say that wizards had just somehow lost ALL their books on ancient magic. That's why he had to go to such lengths to show that being magical was a single event, not mattering to being mudblood or not, and that it had no basis on your strength. Which doesn't actually make sense, considering that some people are stronger magically than others, no matter how hard you try to pass them. It's not ALL hard work. There would still be the genes for being magical, and the ones for being naturally talented. And he really hasn't proven what he claimed he has, as there are a lot more possible reasons that his experiment came out the way it did. And doing only ONE experiment and accepting that result as the be all end all is VERY unscientific, as the author knows, and has said himself on multiple occasions. I offered only ONE such possibility in a separate review. He was doing what he needed to continue the story, not proper science.

However, since this isn't his world that he built from the ground up, but rather one that he is editing, he had to fix Rowling's huge, gaping, plot hole somehow, but it also had to be fast, or he'd risk his story getting way off track. He made a very good try, one that most would accept very readily, but it still had holes.
dragoon109 chapter 74 . 3/28/2013
An instant later there was another massive volley of shieldbreakers and hexes, fired on reflex at the suddenly revealed figure, shattering the shields which had almost immediately begun to form around it -

okay that is next to impposible here. snape isnt a weakling. he can fight dumbldore or voldemort, he IS a tough sob. so him being so easily found and defeated is unlikely.
Jerden chapter 74 . 2/26/2013
Well, this was interesting. Once again, rationalist Harry amazes me with just how crazy he can be, and at the same as being very effective. Another chapter of a brilliant story.
Guest chapter 74 . 2/5/2013
Where do you come up with this stuff? It's too awesome!
Arkh Cthuul chapter 74 . 1/12/2013
Ah, one of my favourite 3 chapters. The aftermath in Snapes Classroom and this Paragraph

""Because they are stupid," said Professor Quirrell. "There are hundreds of useful rituals which could be performed if men had so much sense; I could name twenty without stopping to draw breath. But in any case, Mr. Potter, the thing about such rituals - whether or not you choose to term them Dark - is that they are shaped to be magically efficacious, not to appear impressive when performed. I suppose there is a certain tendency for the more powerful rituals to require more dreadful sacrifices. Even so, the most terrible ritual known to me demands only a rope which has hanged a man and a sword which has slain a woman; and that for a ritual which promised to summon Death itself - though what is truly meant by that I do not know and do not care to discover, since it was also said that the counterspell to dismiss Death had been lost. The most dread chant I have encountered does not sound even a hundredth as fearsome as the chant you composed for Miss Davis. Those among the bullies who had a passing familiarity with Dark rituals - and I am certain that there were some - must have been terrified beyond the capacity of words to describe. If there existed a true ritual which appeared that impressive, Mr. Potter, it would melt the Earth."

"Um," said Harry.

Professor Quirrell's lips twisted further. "Ah, but the truly amusing thing was this. You see, Mr. Potter, the chant of every ritual names that which is to be sacrificed, and that which is to be gained. The chant which you gave to Miss Davis spoke, first, of a darkness beyond darkness, buried beneath the flow of time, which knows the gate, and is the gate. And the second thing spoken of, Mr. Potter, was the manifestation of your own presence. And always, in each element of the ritual, first is named that which is sacrificed, and then is said the use commanded of it."

"Was permanently sacrificed in a ritual which but briefly manifested your presence," said Professor Quirrell. "I suppose we will discover tomorrow whether anyone took that seriously, when we read the newspapers and see whether all the magical nations of the world are banding together in a desperate effort to seal off your incursion into our reality." "

alone are worth reading your "fic" (better your book if you ask me) a third time.
illuminios chapter 74 . 1/7/2013
I love this chapter. With the power of thousand suns, certainly.
The ideal mixture of humor, seriousness, action and pure awesomeness made me cry with tears of happiness. *Applauding*
WildCard-Yes Man chapter 74 . 1/2/2013
I love this story :D
treena-ivy-carter chapter 74 . 12/24/2012
Now I'm laughing hysterically, and my roommate is asking me whether or not I need medical attention.

Have you considered being a professional comedic author or script writer, if you are not one already?

I believe that you should do that, and make a lot of money entertaining paying customers. You are certainly talented enough.

chain.reader chapter 74 . 12/21/2012
I was laughing for the last half of this chapter...

30 minutes after reading it... and I'm still chuckling
Wendell chapter 74 . 10/21/2012
A finger is not much, professor Quirrell... A finger is not much to give.

Still, it WAS a touching moment. When Quirrellmort says that he doesn't hate you, it's like a proposal with expensive gift from another person.
Mavarax chapter 74 . 10/16/2012
"a ritual which promised to summon Death itself"

Is this how Dementors were created?
Akiyama chapter 74 . 9/4/2012
Possibly my favorite chapter so far. Thankyou for brightening my day!
Poetheather1 chapter 74 . 8/11/2012
The last bit, with Tracey and Pansy was brilliant. So fricking funny. I had to feel sorry for Draco, that he had to endure that. What a trying life he has...
EverfreeSparkle chapter 74 . 8/4/2012
Tracy ate my soul! Funny as hell! Epic story.
voodooqueen126 chapter 74 . 8/2/2012
The ugly girl, is of course the unpleasant girl.
PinkMusicalCherry chapter 74 . 7/4/2012
HAHAHAHAHAHA CRYING WITH LAUGHTER I LOVE YOU. OH MY GOD. . "Professor Snaaaaape, Tracey ate my souuuuuuuuuul!"

god of blood chapter 74 . 6/5/2012
This is a great story including harry using magic and science.

one thing in chapter 74 tracey said the names of the four chaos gods of the warhammer 40k universe.

is this a angle youre working down the road?

harry-science, magic, chaos powera-a true god!
ihatesnakes chapter 74 . 5/26/2012
We need more Malfoy and less Hermione for the sake of awesomeness. That is all.
Arkh Cthuul chapter 74 . 4/29/2012
Just rereading the fic, and once again I ahve to say that this is my favourite Chapter.

So many reasons, so little time.

Although I have to say, the huge gap in your update schedule does make my inner voices a bit ... miffed shallw e say?

To go with "Harrys" naming scheme:

Hufflepuff: But hes a good person, he ahs to be to write that good, so he wouldnt DO that to us!"

Ravenclaw: Abilitys got nothing to do with being nice. For allw e know he could be a total Doucebag. So dont get your hopes to high (I hope I dumbed that down enough for him to get it, sigh, Huffle puffs...).

Slytherin: I agree. Such genius always leads to darkness. Wait, that didnt come out quite the way I wanted ..."

Gryffindor: Ha, got you! So youre dark, and admitted it, seing youre all geniussy yourself.

Slythering (grinning evilly): Why yes, thank you.

Gryyfindor: Ah,damn.

Ravenclaw: (sighs)
Finariona chapter 74 . 4/21/2012
As far as instances of How to Make Snape Lose It go, the ending of this chapter was in my top 10 for sure. I like those cliff-hangers that are not truly dreadful, but thoroughly exciting or funny. Will there be an aftermath written for Snape's follow-up on Tracy and Nott's prank, or will we be left to imagine it?

It's a pretty good prank, for sure devised by Harry with two of his Chaotic soldiers, Tracy and Nott. You consistently manage to make the dreadful piquant and entertaining. Especially in the interaction between the possessed Quirrell and Harry; it should be terrible, throat-constricting to read, but in fact its ''merely'' gripping.

Now that you wrote your fic, it seems weird how nobody before seems to have questionned ''What would the Dark Lord do if he could spend a year at Hogwarts with Harry Potter disguised as the Defense Professor?''. Your answer to that seems so much more plausible than Rowling's... I guess I get why Harry and ''Quirrell'' feel like they are the only sane people they know...
Sage of wind Dragons chapter 74 . 4/4/2012
this is brief thing for chapter 82 that I forgot. Harry or dumbledoor is going to be dead now. Harry is in the debt to malfoy senior and hes made a vow actually they only had 2 people so dont know if that is right but it will still will have an effect. Harry is well and truely on his way to deystroying the world. witch means the fate of the world restin the hand of HErmione Granger who was just sworn to be Harry's vasal..

Oh dear unless deux ex machiina happens I do believe Harry will have to die if the light is to win.

well thats wort case at best cenerio but oh well.
Rationally Procrastinative chapter 74 . 3/27/2012
(Posted before reading Ch 81, just in case it has clues.)

Who is Quirinus Quirrell?

The body could be that of Quirrell as I cannot think of any contrary evidence, so the question is about the mind that often animates the body. Call that mind the Defense Professor (DP).

The DP has done a huge number of things that are contrary to Voldemort’s personality and/or interests: criticizes Voldemort directly [Ch 19]; attempts to set Harry up as magical Britain’s next ruler [Ch 34 and 35]; gives Harry a Christmas gift [Ch 37]; saves Harry’s life [Ch 42]; helps save Harry’s sanity [Ch 43]; saves Harry’s reputation and freedom when Harry decides to sacrifice himself in Azkaban [Ch 58]; teaches the students how to resist groups like the Death Eaters well enough to impress the head of magical law enforcement [Ch 78]; and in general strengthens Harry (and to a lesser extent, the other students) in many ways. There is simply too much contradictory evidence to believe that the DP is Voldemort.

The DP is not similar to anyone in canon because there are no canon characters that are that rational and few that are that powerful. So if the DP is a canon character then he has been heavily altered.

The DP is: a snake Animagus [49]; probably Muggle-born (too familiar with Muggle things, e.g. Pioner) [Ch 20]; a fully competent wizard by 1973 [Ch 20, based on Pioneer launch date]; especially affected by Dementors and may have been promised to them [Ch 45]; probably a Slytherin (he certainly plays one well enough and he is strengthening Slytherin house); desirous of being Defense Professor [Ch 12]; unable to cast a Patronus [Ch 39]; completely ruthless and deadly [Rita Skeeter]; a vastly superior teacher and wizard; and inherently pessimistic and intolerant of stupidity. And yes, most of these fit Voldemort.

In the end, I have so solid hypotheses, but that brings up:

Who is Hat & Cloak (H&C)?

At first H&C looked like a well-meaning but misguided person (that is what I believed until Taboo Tradeoffs). The various thing H&C says to Hermione when they (gender neutral pronoun for H&C) know they will Obliviate her sound suspiciously like rumors most people would believe and include “I am trying to help you.” [Ch 77] However, it is clear from the Taboo Tradeoffs arc that H&C is coldly malevolent.

And there are few other clues to work from, but there are a few.

To fathom a strange plot … H&C did apparently earlier cause increased wariness between Dumbledore and Quirrell using Zabini [Ch 35].

H&C can create multiple false appearances and cast Obliviate multiple times inside Hogwarts without getting caught [Ch 77]. By rules revealed in Ch 79, this means H&C is a Hogwarts professor.

H&C does not understand Hermione well enough to manipulate her until after several tries [Ch 77]. This precludes Snape, who understands her all too well, and probably precludes the DP, who is far too competent to make that mistake so many times.

Ultimately, I was completely clueless until Dumbledore basically spelled it out: H&C is a person with one of Voldemort’s Horcrux’s or perhaps a person possessed by the remaining spirit of Voldemort.

And so, I conclude with great reluctance and with no great confidence that the body of Quirrell is harboring two interloper minds: the Defense Professor and Voldemort. Voldemort uses the body when the DP is absent but is aware of most events anyway. The great weakness of this theory is that the DP is too competent to be unaware of the possibility … and at the same time too careful to use a Horcrux without extreme precautions and too defensively knowledgeable to be possessed by a spirit.

And really, three beings in one body? Occam would not be proud. Perhaps, like in canon, the DP is Quirrell and made a Faustian bargain. Otherwise, I simply cannot come up with a better idea at the moment.

Oh well, let's see if Chapter 81 has clues ...
PuppyBeBad chapter 74 . 3/2/2012
"Professor Snaaaaaape! Tracey ate my sooouuul!"

OMG I can't stop laughing XD
Lunacom chapter 74 . 2/19/2012
And another Bellatrix is born...
Avvjakn chapter 74 . 11/7/2011
"Even so, the most terrible ritual known to me demands only a rope which has hanged a man and a sword which has slain a woman; and that for a ritual which promised to summon Death itself - though what is truly meant by that I do not know and do not care to discover, since it was also said that the counterspell to dismiss Death had been lost."

Could this be the ritual that creates a Dementor, with the "lost" counterspell being Harry's "Patronus 2.0"?

Or am I reading too much into something that's not actually important.
Captain Death chapter 74 . 11/5/2011
One regrets not hearing the response to 'she ate my soul'.

The magical school is supposed to resemble an English public (what in the USA is called 'private') school, a place like Eton.

In certain key respects, the magical school is just the opposite of a traditional public school

I suggest you would find it broadening to read Correlli Barnett's Pride & Fall sequence on Britain from WW1 through to 1970 or so, though the first book of the series, especially the parts on UK education of its privileged classes from 1870 forward to WW2 may be especially interesting. These are paperbacks, available second hand.
LauralHilll chapter 74 . 10/30/2011
Well apparently everyone knows but I figure I'll chime in with this chapter being completely perfect.
Poe chapter 74 . 10/16/2011
Mr Yudhowsky,

May I draw your attention towards this particular article:

I believe it might be familiar.
Toratchi888 chapter 74 . 10/13/2011
Ah... children are so cruel...
bookivore chapter 74 . 10/9/2011
hahahahahaha! the uncertainty of the exact scathing response from Snape! they just seem to bubble up!

"If you hadn't noticed, Miss Parkinson, this is the Potions. Complaints about your - soul - belong to another lesson ..."

"Miss Davis is not a Dementor, Miss Parkinson, though I don't know why I didn't expect you dunderheads to believe that putting on a cloak would turn an idiotic witch into a Dark Creature ..."

"I expect you have indigestion, Miss Davis. Please feel free to go the Hospital Wing if you feel the urge to retch into your cauldron, I have no idea what regurgitated soul would do to the potion we are going to start RIGHT NOW ..."
Guest chapter 74 . 10/7/2011
Delightful! As usual, I'm not sure I followed all the scheming, but the action was very amusing.
mat33 chapter 74 . 10/3/2011
A Ravenclaw Sorting Hat you are writing here ;)
M chapter 74 . 10/1/2011
Gorgeous chapter! I would eat it if I could!
jujujgerboo chapter 74 . 9/26/2011
Just saying this chapter gave me one a very memorable coincidence. I had been trying to get hold of my friend for a while (weeks), and after announcing The Summon, with added verses referencing my friend, he contacted me within seconds.

I tried it a bunch of other times and with other people, so I think the lesson must be that I should just repeat The Summon all the time, and then gather enough positive evidence to show that it really works!

it was cool though.
youxcan'txstop chapter 74 . 9/24/2011

this was so freaking amusing, ahaha, I love Tracie and Daphne. And at this point I'm more than excited to see what havoc Tracie's own sense of chaos will wreak on Hogwarts :D
AR chapter 74 . 9/23/2011
You know...a lot of people harp on about the balance of power and that to keep it one must let the "evil" win.

Evil wins way too much. I am a pacifist. I do not believe in violence and think that in most cases things can be controlled without declaring all out whatever form.

But bullying? ...evil was winning too often and if the argument is to be trusted it was about damn time that someone did something about it.

Brilliant...had I been there I would have applauded.

You know just how to control the chapter before it gets too intense...i was in fits by the end of it
Bigreader in The Omniverse chapter 74 . 9/23/2011
Nice chant. I like how part of that was stolen from Lina Inverse, the spell where it is supposed to summon the power of the Golden Lord of Darkness, who live on a sea of chaos, the creator and destroyer of worlds in the Lina Inverse anime. Ironic how the utterly rational HP is a champion of chaos.
chaosglory626 chapter 74 . 9/20/2011
That was without a doubt the single most epic mind-bendingly awesome ritual I have ever ever seen, read, or heard about. I don't think I will run into a ritual that could even approach that level for a very long time if ever.
Kutta chapter 74 . 9/18/2011
Great chapter
Nadejsda chapter 74 . 9/11/2011
This is the MOST FUNNY CHAPTER I've ever read.

"Tracey ate my soul !"

Anyways, it's a bit difficult fanfiction to read, but I like it. You worked hard for it and it can be seen in the style, the events, the whole story.
dereckrickit chapter 74 . 9/8/2011
Once again I was utterly sure that this story has achieved as much awesomeness as it was possible for any work of fiction to achieve. And then a girl sacrificed her soul to Harry Potter... One would think I would stop being surprised after the first hundred times.
Dragonanzar chapter 74 . 9/7/2011
The problem I personally have with Dumbledore's argument is more along the lines of 'give them an inch and they'll take a mile' in that they won't be satisfied with the victories allowed them; they will take those and more. In chess, for example, it is necessary to sacrifice pieces to either set into motion a benificial sequence or take a piece of greater value. There are always, however, times when the decision to sacrifice or not is taken out of one's hands. Thus, it is impossible to control every situation.

I therefore do not agree with Dumbledore that sometimes battles must be deliberately lost to the dark because if the light deliberately loses as well as accidentally loses, they are likely to ultimately lose the war completely. If those bullies had been allowed to continue their reign of terror without consequences, with their victims being punished instead, they will grow up into the kind of people who became the Death Eaters; short-sighted oppressors drunk on their own sense of power. The victims, in their belief that no matter what they do, they will always come out worst then grow up into the Wizarding population that allowed Voldemort to rise in the first place, prefering to run and hide rather than stand up for what they believe is right.

My old school had very little bullying simply because it had been established that such behaviour would not be tolerated either by staff or by student body. Equally there was very little drug use; I remember one child in my year was expelled for the possession of cannabis. There were of course arguments and cliques, but on the whole, there was no tolerance for anyone who tried to target others.

School is important beyond teaching transfiguration, charms, potions, etc or maths, english, science, etc; it is the place where children are moulded into the roles that they will fulfil as adults. I have a deep mistrust of the way Dumbledore takes a laisse-faire attitude to his dominance of the school.

Just my opinion. I hope you find it at least marginally interesting.

Torvaun chapter 74 . 9/6/2011
OK, so I have references to Dr. Seuss, as mentioned by Harry, Yog-Sothoth, as mentioned by Harry, Zelazny, the Warhammer Gods of Chaos, Buffy, and Rene Lemarchand. Not sure what other references I'm supposed to be catching here. Also not sure how, other than this, your loyal readers are intended to contact you on such things.
Lynn chapter 74 . 9/6/2011
Other: Ah, thanks. But while that may have been more specific than I realized, is that something that people in the Wizarding World would know/recognize? Apparently Quirrell and the Slytherins understood the reference... better than I did, at least. (shrug) Anyway, I wouldn't've brought it up to nitpick at this level.
Other chapter 74 . 9/6/2011

"You who know the gate, who are the gate, the key and guardian of the gate"

Google the name Yog-Sothoth.
Lynn chapter 74 . 9/6/2011
At first, I suspected that Lucius Malfoy was behind the bullies ramping things up, but now, I think it's simply Quirrell. Among Quirrell's potential reasons are to widen the split between Harry and Dumbledore, to start a true split between Hermione and the school's administration, to push Snape into the (semi-)open about what he's been doing with SPHEW, to try to get Harry to suspect Draco, and to get Harry to be grateful for his (Quirrell's) help.

Whether or not Quirrell is responsible for that, I'm pretty sure that he was the one to reveal Snape's presence at that last fight.

I don't understand the confusion in these comments about Quirrel/Voldemort giving Hermione points for "doing the right thing." Voldemort doesn't have moral objections to doing good things the way a good person would have moral objections to doing bad things, so even if it *didn't* serve any important purpose, he might have done it just to amuse himself. And it's hard to imagine that it served *no* purpose, when Dumbledore told Harry it would have serious effects.

(A side-note: I don't believe that "the Outer God" or "Yog-Sothoth" were actually *mentioned* in the chant, in the final posted version of the chapter.)
Iluivatar chapter 74 . 9/4/2011
I liked the Slayers reference.
Osma77 chapter 74 . 9/3/2011
Tracey ate my sooouuul!

Again with the laughing. My wife was concerned for a brief second that i had gone insane. I started laughing so hard that i couldn't breathe for no reason she could figure out.

Then she remembered that i have always been insane and drove to the store for some milk.
MrRobertsIII chapter 74 . 9/3/2011
I've lost so much time at work reading this fic, and I just don't care. This is hilarious!
Arvarno chapter 74 . 9/2/2011
The invocation seems way overkill. I think it ought to sound way too ridiculous, like somebody threatening some bullies with a city destroying nuke.

That's because:

Nobody sane would use such an unique sacrifice in exchange for so little.

It ought to be impossible to sacrifice something you don't control. You can sacrifice a virgin you kidnapped, but you can't sacrifice a random deity that you've not bound somehow. If that was possible, somebody would just have used Voldemort as a sacrifice for something, and problem solved.

Even if Harry could control a god somehow, a random student couldn't.

Usage of power ought to be proportional to the needs of the action performed. Exchanging 1 Kg of antimatter for moving a car one meter doesn't work, the unused energy would have to go somewhere and make a huge kaboom or launch the car into space.
Saint Fiasco chapter 74 . 9/2/2011
Whoa,that was scary. Quirrel turned Hogwarts into Silent Hill for a while.
Other chapter 74 . 9/1/2011
On another note...

Was that a reference to Star Wars &/or Robot Chicken at the beginning?

"I take ten Quirrell points from you, and be glad it is not more."
Prof. H.J Potter chapter 74 . 9/1/2011
I keep on checking if you've updated chapter 76 :

I'm really looking forward to it. And yet there wasn't even a real cliff hanger. No one's died, but Hermione's will to be good. I want to see where this ends up.

Usually, I can't get into Harry/Hermione, but it truly shows how you have taken this fandom and made it yours, because now it seems nothing but evident that they're meant to be together.
TheOneButcher chapter 74 . 9/1/2011
You know, Harry should make himself look absolutely awful, show Milicent his time turner and say:

"Dementors! They abandon Askaban and try to break through the wards of Hogwarts by the dozen. They come in revenge for the Dementors I sacrificed for Tracy's ritual. You make a "prediction" in front of the whole school so the Professors and my past self can prepare for the next six hours. I", he pointed at himself now "will go design a ritual to call forth something which makes a light brighter than the sun, fueled by the attacking Dementors. Whatever it was it listened to my future self and looked vaguely human shaped, so probably a Light Golem or something. I think I read something about Light Golems in the Chamber of Secrets... Well, I'm off." runs away, cleans up and enters the Great Hall as if nothing happened.

Lets see how the belief of a School-full of terrified children affects our little shadows...
Eshalar chapter 74 . 9/1/2011
Nice Chapter, I loved the WH40k reference. Also, the fact that Harry apparently sacrificed Yog-Sothoth to manifest his presence for a few seconds is simply hilarious.

Just a quick question though, why didn't Harry object to Dumbledores wrong accusations of him and Quirrel helping S.P.H.E.W out on the two occasions before this chapter?

Drix chapter 74 . 9/1/2011
I loved this chapter. I was already on the edge of my seat and honestly fell off laughing when I "heard" Tracy starting that ritual. Points to you for the inclusion of the Hellraiser part, my favorite horror movies, and the Dragon Slave inclusion.

I'm still a little confused as to where you are going with this plot point in the bullies, especially Hermione's involvement. I can see her standing up to bullies, I can't see her letting her friends put themselves in danger to do it though, no matter what Harry says.
aldeka chapter 74 . 9/1/2011
Also: (this is actually for chapter 75, but it won't let me edit my old review or write more than one)

The quoted stanza of Godric Gryffindor, in Latin or in English, is just a gorgeous piece of work. I wonder how many people will put that in their .sigs or make stickers for their laptops or get tattoos with those lines...
richard chapter 74 . 9/1/2011
Dumbledore steepled his fingers. "Harry," he sighed, "have you ever considered why we keep Slytherin House here at Hogwarts? When practically all Dark wizards come out of it? When we know it breeds a destructive atmosphere of distrust in the school and it means we have to appoint at least one professor that is likely to be a sadist? Have you ever wondered, moreover, why we so seldom expel people, even for behaving like wretched little Slytherins?"

"Keep your enemies closer?" hazarded Harry. The corners of Dumbledore's eyelids drooped a little.

"Something like that, I suppose. But it's also more than that. It's about what I expect you might refer to as 'impulse control' and 'stress atavism,' but what I like to think of as the call from darkness to darkness. You see, Hogwarts is not separate from the adult wizarding world. It's very much a part of it. And pretty much every generation the wizarding world throws out another Dark Lord, and pretty much all of them pass through Hogwarts. And Dark Lords have to learn their skills somewhere, and so we, the rest of us, get to see them learning those lessons and we get to see how they think when they're first developing their plots and we get to see who is drawn toward their flame. Do you see?"

Harry chewed this over for a moment. "So you're saying that you're willing to tolerate bullying in the corridors..."

"Bullying is a fundamental part of how Slytherins learn to live together," interrupted Dumbledore. "It's how they learn the proper fear and duplicity that will allow them to function in Slytherin society. If we did not allow them to do it here they would merely do it elsewhere. And then we wouldn't know what society it was producing, or what the bullies might do if they thought nobody was watching. And if we expelled them, they'd only form their own school, and you can see where that would lead."

"Durmstrang" finished Harry. He knew it only by rumors and gloomy reputation, but it seemed the ideal finishing school for Dark Lords and he'd been puzzled about why other schools were so friendly to it.

"Durmstrang is exactly what happens when you expel the bullies, yes. It happened when I was a student in these halls: they decided they would have a bully-free school, so they dismissed anyone who was vindictive and violent and vile. And do you know what happened? A school for bullies started up down the road and they lost all their other students to it. Because nobody wanted their children to be in the school for victims. It entirely changed the nature of the institution."
Me chapter 74 . 8/31/2011
"most terrible ritual known to me demands only a rope which has hanged a man and a sword which has slain a woman; and that for a ritual which promised to summon Death itself - though what is truly meant by that I do not know and do not care to discover, since it was also said that the counterspell to dismiss Death had been lost"

AHA. So, THAT'S where Dementors originally come from... Am I right?
xan avalon chapter 74 . 8/31/2011
apropos of nothing in particular in this chapter (well, maybe the last line...) but I ran across a line I thought you might, if not find use for, at least enjoy:

"It's so far out of whack that it would take the light from whack a million years to reach it..."

source, friend on another board. The "it" in question was a thyroid issue but it seems applicable in a wide range of uses. :)
Trun chapter 74 . 8/31/2011
Throughout the scene in Dumbledore's office I kept expecting Harry to say or think something along the lines of "No wonder almost no one fought Voldemort in the war. You have been training them to silently endure torment for generations!" Of course I haven't read the next chapter yet.
Saltwater chapter 74 . 8/31/2011
Sometimes you just make me so happy.

That is all.
Slayer End chapter 74 . 8/31/2011
Couldn't stop giggling.

Forever Signed in Blood,

Slayer End
Higashiyama Sayuri's Devout chapter 74 . 8/31/2011
Was that an AT Field and i dont know if the Gods names are from War Hammer 40k or a Evangelion fic "thousand Shinji".

Hh the awesomeness...

Love the show.
Dee chapter 74 . 8/31/2011
lol! So funny this chapter! Glad that this story is being updated again :) I especially loved this:

"Thank you very much," Harry said evenly. "Though I think Professor Quirrell deserves more credit than me."

That part and the end really had me laughing.
Swamp Adder chapter 74 . 8/31/2011
This chapter is pretty hilarious. Especially the last bit. "Kick your asses" is an Americanism, though.
Selina Novella chapter 74 . 8/31/2011
The amount to which I've been laughing for the past 10 minutes can not be properly expressed in English. I'm sure the Germans have a word for it, but I don't know what it would be. Normally I don't notice that this is a parody/comedy, because it's so cleverly done, however this last scene certainly brought it home. *applauds*
JelloRaptor chapter 74 . 8/31/2011
A conversation i had that might be of intrest:

me: so I thought of something that might intrest you

Kevin: oh?

me: basically a technobabble explanation for HP MoR's magic system

Kevin: Oh?

I'm listening

me: what do you know about holograms?

Kevin: basically nothing

me: well you make them by shining a lazer at an object, taking the reflections of that laser

and another laserbeam

so that the two beams interefere with each other

Kevin: OK.

me: and getting that intereference pattern recorded on a photoplate

Kevin: Okay

me: now you can reconstruct the image by shining a light back through the plate and it'll form the original image. Here's the interesting part if you take the photographic plate and break it in half both separate halves will be able to produce the original image.

Kevin: ?

me: and you can keep on repeating the procesws taking smaller and smaller bits of the orignal plate, until the the size of molecues starts to interfere with the clarity of the image

basically, every part of the plate, contains all the information needed to reconstruct the original image

Kevin: ok

me: the pattern formed is a fractal effectively infinitely complex, only limited by the fact that the recording plate is made of molecules and those have a minimum size

Kevin: Yeah

me: So, imagine of the universe is like that, there's a physical world but there's also a holographic interpretation of it. As in, our universe, with its physical laws is the data, is the say, teacup and there's also a hologram of that teacup, that contains all the information needed to recrate the teacup, in a fractal self similar form.

Kevin: okay. I think I'm following.

me: now, this hologram, contains within it every possible viewpoint. In that, if you look at it at the right spot and angle, you'll see the universe as it exists to an entity that happens to have a particular viewpoint and because it's infinite and fractal, it can contain every viewpoint so for every possible observer, be it human, robot, beetle, and every possible location there's a corresponding point in the hologram that would show the universe as if that observer were there looking at it. The interesting part comes when you add that the universe as we see it, is the hologram, that if you can figure out how to make a change in the hologram representation of the universe, you make the change in the real universe.

Kevin: nods

me: So, the magic comes in, basically it's way of shifting things around in our universe, so that they reach out, and change the holorgam directly, and in order to do that, you need 3 things:

The first is a viewpoint a place, time and observer, since those are the 3 things you need in order to pick a place to look in at the hologram from.

Next you need a transform, that given the universe looks a certain way, you need a way to define how you want it to look (in the terms of the same viewpoint).

Finally you need the 'magical energy' which would be a physical thing in our universe, that allows you to reach out and touch the hologram at the place defined by observer, and change it in the way defined by the transformation.

When you reach out and make that change at one viewpoint, the change needs to be reflected in every other viewpointif you transfigure a door, you also need to transfigure every part of a door.

Kevin: okay…why?

me: Because

there's a view where there's a door

there's a view where there's a collection of planks

and there's a where it's a part of a house

among many many more and all of them are in there somewhere as represented by the fractal nature of the hologram.

Kevin: ah

me: So, you have this change and because all the viewpoints reflect the same underlying reality, making a change in one, makes a change in all the others (all the others that can see the change at least, light-cones and whatnot) and the change in reality has to be made in such a way that all the affected viewpoitns still reflect the same underlying reality and the more viewpoints that are affected (the more that can see the change) the more magical energy you need to make the change.

Kevin: nods, That is interesting

me: The atlanteans figured this all out and modified their genome so that they could connect to this hologram, and changed the structure of the connection, so that once people could define a transform they could tie it to a particular phrase and wand movement.

Kevin: that is very high-level technobabble

me: So this is why people have intrinsic magic: People with the genetic marker and the connective machinery it provides, define a viewpoint by being themselves (it's their mind at their place and their time), and by wanting something really badly, and once it reaches a certain threshold the machinery clicks and makes the magic happen. And people invent spells by figuring out what they want to happen, and refining that transformation, while also mentally tying it to a spell and set of wand movements. When they've refined this enough, and their mental state and the relevant transform and the little wand movement and spell they made up are all locked down in their head the little program the atleans wrote remembers this and stores it so it's easy to cast later.

This explains a lot things very neastly, except potions and magic that sticks around (magical artifacts and magical creatures and whatnot). If things can have a a little tag in the hologram that they don't in the physical reflection, that allows it to interact with other things with tags, in ways that wouldn't if they didn't ahve a tag then you've got magic items and potions and whatnot but that's not as elegant, and i'm hoping for a better way to put it.

But this theory is elegant in other ways, take aveda kedavra, it needs hate to cast it, and the patronus needs a happy memory. You could cast it without those but the energy use would be so high it's practically impossible, what those emotions do is put you in a particular mental state that makes the tranformation simpler to comprehend and therefore cheaper (energy wise) to cast. A robot without emotion, wouldn't need hate to cast aveda kedavra and a human could probably also cast it with the belief that whatever ze's casting it at is worthless, in lieu of traditional hate, much the same way harry casted a different patronus with a different type of thought.

Kevin: yeah

me: and the mental shenanigans harry did in order to allow partial tranfiguration don't reflect an underlying reality, but put him in a mental state where the transformation was easy to visualize and cheap to perform.

Kevin: Ahhh

me: someone delusional (or not delusional depending on how you want to see it) who thinks that half a door is a separate part in itself could probably also make the same partial transfiguration. That harry did it with science was just Harry being Harry.

Kevin: Hahaha

me: If Harry reinvented the broomstick spells from scratch, before seeing a normal broomstick, they would probably be newtonian, easy to point and accelerate but not Aristotelian like other broomsticks (though seeing and using other broomsticks might taint his view of how things are supposed to work).

It also explains occulamency and legimency legilimency is basically, the other person locking onto your viewpoint somehow, and pulling in information from your viewpoint in the hologram, occulemency is temporarily changing your viewpoint from yours to a a delusion (pretending) and making the legilimens lock onto that viewpoint instead of your real one.

So yeah, it's technobabble, and with a little fiddling could probably be adapted to any magical system but hell if it doesn't sound really nice.
centreoftheselights chapter 74 . 8/31/2011
My favourite part of this story is the intent to create confusion, and I especially loved this chapter just for that.

It also inspired me to write a song:

youtu. be/ 9gxYYw_NO9M
arglebargle.IV chapter 74 . 8/31/2011
AlpineBob: "I have no idea how Tonks is managing to take Susan's place without Polyjuice, but I'm sure the explanation will make sense once I find out."

Tonks is a Metamorphagus. She can change her appearance at will, with no Polyjuice potion required. She frequently changes her hair color, but can change other aspects of her appearance as well. She can change from a young to an old woman. I don't recall her ever changing so much that she looks exactly like someone else, but there's no reason to think she couldn't, given what she can do.
malcolm75k chapter 74 . 8/31/2011
I can see the excuse Harry will give for not exercising his "powers" in the future.

"I'm sorry, but the Headmaster has asked me not to manifest in the halls no matter *how* many outer gods people sacrifice to me. It just gets too messy. So let's just all try to get along in the future, shall we? I really think its for the best."
Bobbeaver8 chapter 74 . 8/31/2011
Star wars was dashing and exciting, star trek had adventure, Rome had politics and backstabbing ( wait, isn't that the same thing? )

Tim Minchin has wit and clever phrasing. Most literature has "moral Lessons" ( that aren't worth a carp ( darn overpriced fish ) and this has all that and more. It is a fun educational learning experience that draws one in and I feel the characters are more dynamically portraid than in the original. I love the tongue in cheek style of writing and how you portray the game. I don't usually write reviews, however I think this may be the third I have written for you. I'm sorry for the nonsensical nature of it ( it being the review, not the number of reviews written. ( which wouldn't have made much sense. ( so why did I feel the need to clarify? ( sleep deprivation ( so why not go to bed? ( Good call)))))

Good night remember! Screw the money! I have rules! wait, let me try that again.
madbrad chapter 74 . 8/31/2011
Such a clever story. Humour and mystery over, I really enjoyed the debriefing between Harry and Dumbledore.

In particular I was struck by the notion that fighting the bad guys every-single-time might be an instance of pride rather than gallantry/heroism. But I was even more intrigued by that line of Dumbledore's -

- But if Peregrine Derrick could learn that lesson, he would not be Peregrine Derrick.

That stopped me in my tracks for a moment.

(But it doesn't sound like canon's "everyone can be redeemed" Dumbledore. Or is that a fanon exaggeration?)

Excellent humour (as always with S.P.H.E.W) in the last segment.

I do hope there's a greater plan threading throughout this tale that fully explains Quirrell. While I am greatly entertained by each vignette and section in isolation I'm quite puzzled by exactly what Quirrell is doing overall.
godescalc chapter 74 . 8/31/2011
This would seem to be what Harry was talking about regarding "the true power of pranking"... wonder what the Weasley twins think of Harry overtaking them so drastically. I hope they get some more page-time soon.

Harry getting Quirrell to solve problems like that comes close to deus ex machina territory - justifiable however in that getting Quirrell to intervene isn't just a matter of asking, and what counts as a deus ex machina in the SPHEW subplot is simply an interesting development in the larger plots of Hogwarts politics and Harry & Quirrell's relationship.
everyone chapter 74 . 8/31/2011
The Monster kiramythos

Kindly continue your flirting elsewhere.

On a related note, looks like The Monster has the more valid point. On a related note, kiramythos has the cooler name. On a further related note, people seem to be focusing back on the literature here, not the legality/morality/etc.

Looking forward to what Eliezer says about the Singularity getting 128K in funds. Seems some folk were swayed by a good chapter 74, eh?
Xan Avalon chapter 74 . 8/31/2011
I keep thinking this can't get any better and yet somehow it does. The delay was worth it.

well, almost.

Anything that can have me laughing my ass off and chanting "O yes this is how it should have been" at 3:15 in the morning is ever so most entirely worth waiting for.

thank you. Do keep up the good work.

AlpineBob chapter 74 . 8/30/2011
Awesome is as awesome does, and you do awesome well indeed!

Many great things about this, but I especially liked "Lavender, the Amazing Stupid Hostage". And Hermione's worry about how prevalent dark sides seemed to be in Hogwarts students, and whether it might be catching.

I was surprised about how the battle went - I was expecting their white cloaks to be removed and the resulting confusion when various G's & S's realized they were working together to allow S.P.H.E.W. to escape. Too predictable for true chaos, of course.

"I cannot deny that my influence was at work," Harry said.

Which surprises me, because, of course, though he does not, he could. And does not answer the actual question asked, of responsibility. Because the answer would be no - really, he's less responsible than anyone actually in the hall, because they each and severally, could have chosen to be elsewhere. Even, and especially, Quirrell, who could have chosen not to help.

Sure, some people there are acting on his ideas and suggestions, but others are acting on their concept of Sytherin's honor, or misconception of Gryffindor pride. Etc.

Of course, Harry has his own pride, and thinks himself safe from reprimand besides, so he claims at least what influence he can...

"Somehow Harry managed not to cheer out loud."

But I laughed! :)

What surprises me, as it did Harry, is that Dumbledore seems to feel that a little bullying is OK!

"All that I know of human nature says that I should hate you. And yet I do not. It is a very strange thing."

Perhaps because he knowa that Potter's position is actually his own, Harry being merely a figurehead for his own efforts. Or perhaps something else; Quirrell is certainly beyond me!

I've never been fond of the "aftermath" label you use - mostly because to me that stories are continuums, from beginning to end. Seen that way, each section is an aftermath of the one before it, so the "aftermath" label is redundant.

Anyway, it is hilarious that being kissed by Tracey is "probably worse" than being kissed by a Dementor. Go Seamus! Talk about a burn! And it slides by under her radar - she certainly isn't the brightest bulb in the pack, is she?
Lokyar chapter 74 . 8/30/2011
The wait? Worth. Every. Second.

Quite possibly my favorite aspect of this fanfic is the believability. Most fanfics, and honestly even normal novels, rely heavily on the 'it works because it works' rationale. The Hero can do such and such because they're that awesome, even if it was very hard for them or only because they had the secret magical maguffin of superness.

But this fanfic? Everything makes absolute perfect sense(even if only in hindsight) without introducing any deus ex machinas. And quite frankly you're making better use of the world and magic than the original stories did.

You make me smile, you make me laugh, you make me think.

And I cannot begin to thank you enough.
Ham Nox chapter 74 . 8/30/2011
I am happy that Quirrelmort likes Harry. Y'know, these whole two chapters make me ineffably happy.

"Merlin, she did!" cried Theodore Nott. "You look all pale now, and your eyes seem empty!"

I can't help but think this is the kind of thinking that leads to people getting burned for witchcraft. Confirmation bias say wuh?
RexNoctis chapter 74 . 8/30/2011
Well, I didn't expect a chapter where Dumbledore ends up being more cynical than Harry. Although really Harry has already put into action what Dumbledore is saying, choosing your fights against evil. Harry didn't destroy Azkaban in order to do a greater good later.

Read the whole story up to now over the summer and am absolutely psyched that your updating again. Cool story.
narutonejii chapter 74 . 8/30/2011

Props on this chapter, and the rescue Harry orchestrated. Can't imagine what would've happened if he didn't..
perlhaqr chapter 74 . 8/30/2011
iTo always fight the darkness, to never let evil pass unchallenged - that is not heroism, but simple pride./i

"Joking, of course." -Rorshach

I'm impressed. You've managed to write a Dumbledore that isn't completely unreal, and yet that I want to punch repeatedly in the face.

Yes. Always fight the darkness. Let no evil pass unchallenged. That is what good men must do. "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

i"That may be as it may be," the Headmaster said, "but all these conflicts must end. I can hear the strain in the air, and with each of these clashes, it rises. All this must end, decisively and soon; you must not stand in the way of its ending."/i

"Easy as pie, Headmaster. The conflicts will end the very instant the bullies stop initiating them. Have a nice night."

(Sorry, I get worked up about defending the innocent.)

Nice Warhammer ref. :)
Svenion chapter 74 . 8/30/2011
wow, i don't think i've laughed that hard this whole year. Is dumbledore's "sometimes evil has to win" his excuse for not trying to find another way to get the horcrux out of Harry and just deciding it'd be easier if Harry died? if so,it certainly explains some things. thanks for the chapters!
WinterhartZahneelCalina chapter 74 . 8/30/2011
Wow. Just wow. Excellent work as usual. It had the appropriate logic twists mixed with the perfect amount of humor. You have idea how difficult it was to stiffle my laughter when I read the last part of the segment. I almost busted up laughing in the middle of the bus stop when Pansy complained to Professor Snape. I can't wiat to read what happens next.
The Monster chapter 74 . 8/30/2011

I'd love to have this discussion elsewhere, but the misinformation is here, so the correction must be here as well. Eliezer stands accused of "plagiarism" and "copyright violation", two crimes of which he is clearly and obviously innocent, but due to the common conflation of the four branches of Intellectual Property, someone might actually believe this nonsense were it not fully and completely refuted.

I am done discussing this with you, because nothing I say can change your mind. I therefore direct your attention to the US Copyright Office website's FAQ: . , from which I excerpt these few paragraphs to make my point; that while J. K. Rowling and/or Warner Brothers may concoct some legal theory under which they might pursue a TRADEMARK action against Eliezer (which I find incredibly unlikely because there is no "there" there), they have absolutely ZERO basis for a COPYRIGHT claim:

How do I copyright a name, title, slogan or logo?

Copyright does not protect names, titles, slogans, or short phrases. In some cases, these things may be protected as trademarks. Contact the U.S. Patent & Trademark Office, 800-786-9199, for further information. However, copyright protection may be available for logo artwork that contains sufficient authorship. In some circumstances, an artistic logo may also be protected as a trademark.

How do I protect my idea?

Copyright does not protect ideas, concepts, systems, or methods of doing something. You may express your ideas in writing or drawings and claim copyright in your description, but be aware that copyright will not protect the idea itself as revealed in your written or artistic work.

Neither Rowling nor WB can claim a COPYRIGHT under US law on Harry Potter or any of the characters, places, names, ideas, systems, nor concepts expressed in her books and their movies. They can't even claim a copyright over a particular short phrase, even if no human ever combined that particular sequence of words in that order before. But you need'nt take my word for it. Go read what the US COPYRIGHT OFFICE says. And stop accusing Eliezer of "copyright infringement" when the government agency tasked with enforcing copyrights says he's done nothing of the sort.
Sienf chapter 74 . 8/30/2011
The opening is very gripping and I quite like some of the Harry/Quirrel banter, but it starts getting funny by the time he points out Tracey was supposedly sacrificing an ancient one to bring Harry around and gets flat out hilarious by the Aftermath XD Oh dear :D
A Changing Persona chapter 74 . 8/30/2011
How? HOW can these people be SO DUMB?
outlawpoet chapter 74 . 8/30/2011
Wow, ten points for again, making Dumbledore right but so wrong. Harry doesn't know about Nymphadora, does he have any theories on how they survived Jugson, knowing it wasn't Quirrelmort?

Also, a hundred points because I honestly can't tell if Tracey is fucking with everyone or not.
ii chapter 74 . 8/30/2011
Cosmo tip of the Day:How to Channel His Dread Powers! what all men really want

gotta say I'm getting more and more supportive of Dumbledore, avoiding conflict escalation seems like a worthwhile goal if your entire society is functioning on a "one school per country" basis
Moon Stone chapter 74 . 8/30/2011
An amazing story, I cant get enough :), just facebook'ed it...the least I could do.
a reader chapter 74 . 8/30/2011
brilliant chappie
Wyatt chapter 74 . 8/30/2011
Eliezer Yudkowsky writes fanfiction. I'm still a little hung-up on that point; forgive me. And you ate two days of my free time! Dammit! But no, this was enjoyable and smartly written- you have a stronger grasp of flow and cadence than many fiction writers. If there's anything I could suggest, it's toning down some of the more blatant cultural shoutouts because I love subtlety (How many people caught the AT Field in this recent fracas?), but that's a personal preference. Please, by all means, continue at the pace you are able.

Also, I'd love to see a graph of donations before and after your promotion of SIAI; it may be absurd at some level to think that fanfiction just paid your bills, but I want to believe. ;)
heeha chapter 74 . 8/30/2011
I don't usually review fanfics I follow, even if I absolutely adore them, but I think going through seventy-four chapters merits at least one review, even if it may be the only review I give this story.

I think this story is brilliant, in short. The plot is very engaging, and I lost no interest in the story throughout all seventy-four of the chapters currently posted. Although it's been seventy-four chapters and they're still in their first year, I have not felt as if the story is dragging on and on, probably because each chapter has its own unique, captivating elements. I do wonder, though, what the current events are ultimately leading to, as I have not caught any foreshadowing of some major event in the future, although that might be my own lack of insight.

I like how we still see Harry struggle with the obstacles before him, even though he is a genius. I think this illustrates your own creativity and wit in creating obstacles that are challenging enough for Harry to struggle with, or perhaps your awareness of subtleties that would make Harry struggle with his circumstances.

I don't have much else to say. I'm really enjoying this story, and I will probably continue to follow this story as it unfolds. Thank you for writing such a wonderful piece of literature.
Alloysius chapter 74 . 8/30/2011
This is probably the most amusing fic that i have read about Harry Potter. However i fear that it is also the most convoluted and properly confusing one, beyond the whole rationalist field and the many example of application of the " scientific " method, the aspects the more perplexing for me are:

1. Hermione Granger.

2. The whole theory about Heroes

new " war " against bullies.

1. Strangely, i like very much the upgrades and the changes of the witches of first year : Daphne, Tracey, Susan ect..., when i can't find in me to appreciate this Hermione and futhermore, see anything coherent about a possible relationship with Harry. ( On this point, they are, what, 11 years old ? I was at this age able to dream about megalomaniac conquest of the world and generally absurd theory about the order of the universe, but girls ? They were just a different sort of guys for me, with longer hair, softer parts and even then, that was not a general rule. )

...well, who would want to be one ? Talk about a job at risk and few rewards Anyway, i don't dislike this part of the fic but it seriously need to hurry up.

3. I agree that inactivity in the face of the apparent and blatant mistreatment in Hogwarts is absurd. But i agree also that in a school where people can set others on fire by waving a wand there is a serious concern about escalation. For the moment, the acts on both sides are of a show than decisive action. Serioulsly an ambush with 40 or so people ? That's stupid for this type of conflict. Anyway.

All in all, a amusing fic for sure even if the idea of seeing it finished in my lifetime seems dubious lol kidding, but there seems to be a certain lack of progress plot wise
anon chapter 74 . 8/30/2011

I dunno, this Harry Potter seems very different indeed from the original. Change the names of all the people and places in this story and it would be difficult to tell it was a Harry Potter fanfic at all.

Also, it's not financial gain for the fanfic author that is important, but no financial loss for the original author. This is certainly the case here.
everyone chapter 74 . 8/30/2011
The Monster kiramythos

Get a room.
kiramythos chapter 74 . 8/29/2011
The Monster

Characters can be, and in fact are, copyrighted. You show a pretty lacking understanding of copyright as it pertains to creative writing and fiction; just by writing something, it is automatically copyrighted, with the author as the "owner" of that work and the contents of it, such as, oh say, the characters (This is the same reason, by the way, anything I independently publish online would be automatically copyrighted without having to file a copyright). If it can be demonstrated that someone else has taken a character from a piece of fiction you wrote for their own works, then it can be argued that that someone else has infringed upon your copyright. Granted, it can be extremely difficult to prove that the character is taken from another work, but it's also extremely difficult to argue that you independently invented a Harry Potter whose parents Lily and James died when he was one at the hand of a Lord Voldemort, and who attends Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry to learn magic with his friend Hermione Granger, etc., especially while there is pretty clear proof that you had prior knowledge of the original work.

Really, you seem to misunderstand what I mean by having a character copyrighted (Thanks for the lecture on Trademarking, though-actually. It's useful stuff to know!). I'm not talking about a filed copyright (or rather, as you say, trademark) on the name "Harry Potter" or the name being untouchable now that Rowling has used it. Instead I refer to the recognizable character of Harry Potter as a whole person (backstory, abilities, personality, social relationships, etc). While he is somewhat different in some ways in this story when compared to canon, he is also recognizably taken from the original in some form. If an author were to commercially publish a piece of fiction containing a recognizable Harry Potter and it was successfully argued that they are the same character, they could be sued (in fact, attempts were made on Rowling herself for just such a thing, oddly enough, back in the late '90's).

Fanfiction is able to exist because it can be argued that the use of another author's property in fanfiction is harmless and does not result in financial gain for the fanfiction author in any way whatsoever (Fair Use). Note that this is a not a guaranteed defense, and it is very possible that a vindictive author could, indeed, start proceedings against their fans who publish legitimate fanfiction, free of monetary entanglements. They could even quite plausibly win them (though most fanfic' authors would rightly back down upon receiving a C&D notice). This state of being is only possible because of the very clear rules that fanfiction cannot be used to make money, in any way (even is only allowed to have adds in order to cover their hosting fees, not to make a profit). Tying monetary donations to release schedules of fanfiction (especially one so inexplicably popular), then, is a lot like tickling a sleeping dragon.
gdjohnson chapter 74 . 8/29/2011
Awesome chapter, love your adaptation of black magic from Slayers (and Hellblazer?). I'm looking forward to seeing everyone's reactions.
Almaseti chapter 74 . 8/29/2011
I'm surprised more hasn't been made of Snape being there for that whole thing, but I'm sure that will get covered in time. Dumbledore made a good point about escalation, and it seemed to me like Harry shouldn't have dismissed it, but that might just be because I'm the kind of person who tries to figure out why something hasn't been changed before before I try to change it. Anyhow. I loved the "Lavender, the Amazing Stupid Hostage" and the "soul-stealing" bits at the end. Very funny. If there was a way to work more Tonks into the whole Heroine deal (they still need a mysterious mentor type, don't they?) that would be full of win.

Also, congrats on the charity fundraising! Woo!
Hinatafanboy chapter 74 . 8/29/2011
I was laughing so Hard I was about to cry...
David DeLaney chapter 74 . 8/29/2011
It, er, may be none of my business - but why has Chapter 74's last line now had "You don't have permission to access on this server." added below it? Not a link that says that when you click it, just the sentence itself...

-Dave, curious what we're not accessing
75th chapter 74 . 8/29/2011
Great chapter, as always.

I feel like Dumbledore missed an obvious opportunity to make Harry second-guess himself here. If it were me, I would have said something like this:

“I am given to understand that earlier this year you learned a hard lesson on how to lose. Forgive me, Harry, but you seem to have a great deal yet to learn about WHEN to lose.”
Jonathan chapter 74 . 8/29/2011
At this point I am wondering how the wards that supposedly protect the students could possibly work such that they could allow the chaos that has happened so far, but somehow protect a student from actually dying. Surely there was a danger of someone dying with that many curses and whatever the fuck Quirrell did flying around that hallway. The only idea I have is that it is a com-ed-tea like effect that only activates if a student has actually died in the near future, but then it couldn't be stopped and remain self consistent.
the.STARS.and.I.say.GOODBYE chapter 74 . 8/29/2011
Hahahaha. "Tracy ate my soul!"
Psilontech chapter 74 . 8/29/2011
One of the best chapters you've put out in some time, I enjoyed it thoroughly and cackled on multiple occasions.

Keep up the good work sir, and I look forward to your next update!
Spidey-phd chapter 74 . 8/29/2011
ROFL. Loved the ending!
Me chapter 74 . 8/29/2011
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA this story is so brilliant and if it gets any better I'm going to explode-
Zargon chapter 74 . 8/29/2011
Wow. Okay, now I'm interested to find out what happens next, since Dumbledore thinks that the bullies cannot learn that lesson.

Obviously, Harry isn't ever going to back down, and if the bullies won't either... Hmm.
Chargone chapter 74 . 8/29/2011
the funny is... excessive.

i can't even really say what the best part was! :S

the last line was a perfect ending though :D

(I am, however, hoping that Tracy doesn't truly believe what she's saying. the bit about eating souls makes it seem more worrisome if she does, but less likely. Chaos legion and all that... it's hard to tell where the line is between 'this action makes a delightful mess of everyone else's ability to track reality' and 'the person taking this action is insane.')

hehe. the ritual's aftermath is just one big string of funny.

and you've actually managed to write Dumbledore in such a way as to make him seem more detrimental to the light, and possibly actually evil,(and in either case, massively more Dangerous to his students' well being and that of the wizarding world at large given his many leadership hats) than any other fic i've ever read, including the ones that are Trying to make him either evil or insane.

the entire conversation between him and harry leaves one screaming 'how the hell did you miss the option to EXPELL THE BULLIES WHO TAKE THIS SORT OF ACTION YEARS AGO!'. after all, if you cannot reform someone, the next best thing is to deprive them of the ability to act in a manner negative to the good of those you are responsible for. that is, after all, the entire point in the existence of prisons. (which, come to think of it, explains my thinking that people are put in prisons too easily and, once there, let out too soon, in many western nations. i'd not really nailed down the Why of that before. yay for thought provoking fic!)

your fic is officially awesome on an entirely new level.
Not-A-Spy chapter 74 . 8/29/2011

Harry's ignorance causing grand chaos is not unprecedented in this story. In fact, it's a veritable theme. This is the latest, greatest example, I think.
Itachi's apprentice chapter 74 . 8/29/2011
Great work. Freaking awesome Chapter.
The Monster chapter 74 . 8/29/2011

It's not just semantics, and you'd lose the bet. You don't know me at all, but you feel able to guess all sorts of things about me. Fascinating.

I've been deeply involved in "Intellectual Property" issues for a long time as a member of the Open Source Software community, which depends on copyright law to enforce the licenses that assure the code remains open (rather the opposite of how copyright is usually used, which makes for some interesting discussions). I've read heavily the writings at Groklaw and other websites that discuss IP law. There are, as I said, four different kinds of law that collectively make up "IP": Copyrights, Patents, Trademarks, and Trade Secrets. The things one does to enforce one kind of IP can make it impossible for it to be treated as another. For instance, patents require publication and trade secrets are, well, secret. The formulae for Harland Sanders' chicken spice mix, and Coca-Cola would be free for other manufacturers to duplicate precisely, were they patented when their inventors first commercially exploited them. But it would be illegal for anyone to market those identical products as "KFC" and "Coke", which are registered trademarks.

Copyrights and patents expire after various terms (because their Constitutional basis specifies a limited term for each, although the repeated lengthening of the term for copyright has called into question whether it's being used as the Framers intended) while trademarks remain in force indefinitely, so long as they are in use by the holder, and infringing uses defended against. That last bit is a very important distinction between copyrights and trademarks. The Bayer company lost its trademark on "Aspirin" because it had become a generic term for acetylsalicylic acid. Kimberly-Clark very nearly lost "Kleenex", and Xerox Corporation barely kept its brand name under trademark protection. On the other hand, a copyright holder can fail to defend encroachments, then later suddenly decide to crack down on violators. That others have violated the copyright with impunity means nothing, which simply is not true for trademarks.

I will bet YOU that neither J. K. Rowling nor Warner Brothers will ever file any COPYRIGHT action against Eliezer based on what he has written thus far, nor will they accuse him of "plagiarism" (the use of someone else's work without attribution). They won't do those things, because because the mere use of the name of a character in a story, or even recognizable settings such as Hogwarts and Diagon Alley or for that matter Wonderland or 221B Baker Street, is not a copyright violation. They won't accuse him of "plagiarism" because that would open them to a countersuit for defaming him, as he has clearly disclosed the shoulders on which he stands.

Words really do mean things, and you can't just go around claiming "plagiarism" and "copyright violations" when those words do not apply, any more than I can say that the way you're raping the English language makes you a c***d m******r. (So I don't.)

LW great chapter. You captured the frustration many of us feel about schools that punish the bullied kids for fighting back, and gave us another example of Harry playing the game on one level, without realizing how important the higher levels are.

No matter how often you emit nonsensical expressions such as "The use of copyrighted characters/settings/events/materials", characters cannot be copyrighted. But they can be trademarked. If Rowling or WB went after Eliezer, it would have to be for infringing the Registered Trademark "Harry Potter" (particularly when written in a particular font with the lightning bolt tails on some letters) or "Hogwarts", etc. To you, the difference between a copyright and a trademark is "semantics"; to an IP judge or attorney they are very much different. The standard for what constitutes a violation of each law is completely different, and there are some lawyers who specialize in copyright law, others who specialize in trademark law, etc.
NothingPretentious chapter 74 . 8/29/2011
Fantastic story as always, please keep it up.
ilikebluepineapples chapter 74 . 8/29/2011
I'm getting the impression that Harry and Quirrell are the only real players in this game- as entertaining and thoughtful as Hermione and Draco's and _insert other non-Harry/Quirrell character_'s arcs have been, in the end it's always "and then Harry/Quirrell rush in and solve everything and set off the Grand Finale." Which is fine, two truly dynamic characters are more than most fics have, but it could be better.
Parsley chapter 74 . 8/29/2011
There are pretty much only two gripes I have with this otherwise fantastic fic. One more than the other.

The first is that sometimes you let the fannishness begin to detract from the story. The extended Ender's Game plotline, for example. But it's fanfic, so hey, being allowed to do that is one of the perks (even if it does unfortunately come at the cost of an overall more polished feel)

The second, however, is more of a problem. In a universe of essentially balanced, rounded out characters and tons of shades of grey, Dumbledore frequently comes across as a caricature. Scenes with him involved pretty consistently ranked my least favorite throughout the fic. And it stands out all the more that he comes across as so grating and flat when every other character has gotten an upgrade.

Other than that, I've really enjoyed this, keep it up! )
that lionhearted vagabond chapter 74 . 8/29/2011
Oh god, I can't stop laughing, I am literally not capable of stopping. You have a gift for making humor subtle.
Lokistrong chapter 74 . 8/29/2011
There was so much crazy epicness in this chapter I needed to comment. And I have.
badkidoh chapter 74 . 8/29/2011
another great chapter
Guile chapter 74 . 8/29/2011
Nice to end on a moment of levity. Things were getting entirely too serious around here.
Unsigned chapter 74 . 8/29/2011
That was the best line of this fic.

E.A.V chapter 74 . 8/29/2011
If this weren't already my favorite story, it now would be after reading this chapter! It was so Funny! It seemed to me to be pitch-perfect childishly insane! I loved it! Thank you! Thank you for making my day!
zigzagzoom94 chapter 74 . 8/29/2011
Is it just me or does the description of the thing which must be sacrificed to summon Harry (darkness beyond darkness, which knows the gate and is the gate, etc) sounds like death.
Eponymuse chapter 74 . 8/29/2011
I've really enjoyed reading this fan fic! The ever-twisting plot is fascinating, as are the discussions of important psychological studies in the real world, and the way you've illuminated magic in Harry's universe. Many of the characters are also compelling, particularly Harry, Draco, and Quirrel, though Dumbeldore isn't as believable as the others, probably because his apparent level of sanity varies so widely. Hopefully this was planned from the beginning, and will be explained, but for now it seems like your idea of Dumbeldore has changed a little too drastically since you started writing.

My greatest gripe with your story is the occasional (stylistic?) use of present tense in descriptions, and the overuse of sentence fragments and run-on sentences. Perhaps these are just part of the fan fic genre, but the abuse of grammar doesn't seem to _add_ anything, and it is so straightforward to fix...

I don't mind the fact that everyone and everything in your story is much larger than life, and that the stakes seem much higher than in the original stories. I am, however, very impressed with how well you've managed to balance the characters against their conflicts, while still letting enough childishness show through the younger characters to give them a human side.

I'm looking forward to the coming chapters! Thanks for continuing to write!
Runecutter chapter 74 . 8/29/2011
What a devious, devilish mind you posess.

I've cried tears of laughter and sat with my mouth wide open in the face of utter, brillant awesomeness! I guess there's not much more following up in regards to S.P.H.E.W.? Because my mind simply fails to grasp any way this storyline cculd possibly get even better.

And amused!Quirrell is outright scary.
KuMardagg chapter 74 . 8/29/2011
Hooooly cow, this has been the best chapter since #5.

While reading Tracey's "ritual" the hair on my arms stood up! That has only happened 2 times in all my years reading FF.

Especially when she started invoking 4 Chaos Patrons using their Dark Tongue names.

And then later in the same chapter I was struggling to keep my laughter silent.

Well done!
Kd7sov chapter 74 . 8/29/2011
You, sir, are quite talented. Not only do you manage humor and spectacle quite well, but you have managed to keep me enjoying Dumbledore's part in this story, even sympathizing with him to some degree, while disagreeing with his expressed opinions on a growing list of subjects.

Which is not to say I entirely agree with Harry in this discussion - my personal view is that while Light should always overcome Dark, there are often more effective and less disruptive methods than direct combat - but that I can look forward to the next appearance of characters with whom I disagree so much speaks well of your skill.
Blurr chapter 74 . 8/29/2011
"And if, come that day, you still think that evil must never pass unchallenged"

I think your portrayal of Dumbledore here is a bit unrealistic. assuming Dumbledore's philosophy truly is to overlook small evils in order to prevent them from developing into (in his mind) bigger ones, it is highly unlikely that the way he would phrase this would be that "evil" should "pass unchallenged". He'd probably use a more euphemized word than "evil", for example.

As it is, the phrase essentially presumes it's own guilt- built into Dumbledore's own argument is an assumption that Dumbledore is wrong, which is all well and fine for Harry except it doesn't make sense.

Even if you disagree with your dumbledore's ideas, you should make that slightly less obvious to us as the readers by letting Dumbledore defend his approach in an actual, defensible manner.
randomsample chapter 74 . 8/29/2011
I really like the discussion of rituals, it's always fun to see more re-imagining and clarifying of your take on what magic is and how it works for !wizards.
tenchifew chapter 74 . 8/29/2011
Awesome, awesome chapter. Each time I hear the incantation for the Giga Slave I feel that certain tingling inside. And here we have the Warhammer Chaos Gods evoked too. And Eldritch Evil. Must not forget Eldritch Evil. It is probably very, very good the ritual only asked for Harry's presence. Otherwise it just might have worked. Kidding. Or not.

This chapter so very, very good.

Dunmbledore's philosophy is... understandable... and one of the reasons last war was effectively lost. It is the let them hit the other cheek policy that frankly infuriates me. The escalation could get bad if the bullies are not yet scared shitless, but if headmaster prefers to punish people who are defending themselves and others and not 44 bullies who were attacking 8 first year girls then all the potential blood, and it could come to that if I am reading signs clearly, is on his hands.

Brilliant story! Thank you for writing.
Guest chapter 74 . 8/29/2011
Pure gold. I laughed until I cried.
Kudou Shinichi chapter 74 . 8/29/2011
I would have come up with something insightful to say if I wasn't snerkling too hard to think.
UncleTravellingZek chapter 74 . 8/29/2011
First mention of Ron Weasley in... How many chapters? All is right in the world.
ev11 chapter 74 . 8/29/2011
i totally understand dumbledore i cannot think of a way to describe that chapter it was horrifying in its content and delivery. i have re-read half a dozen times and still I'm affected by it. The initial intrigue of the ritual the comedy when i realised it was referencing eldritch gods a sure sign of harry but then the visible effects i assumed it must be quirrel but the specific mention of the charms i fell flat realising it might be serious. Then when harry said maybe they didn't need to die... the following moment of comedy hit like a freight train. I think ill stop here or ill break the character limit but if the rest of the chapters are even half this good id happily give the entirety of the remaining money myself.
Raeigh chapter 74 . 8/29/2011
I guess that Dumbledore's conversation with Harry offers an explanation as to why Snape was working with the bullies. He could have been thinking along the same lines as Dumbledore and was trying to restore the "natural order". Of course there are other explanations too but I have to go to class now. Loved this chapter!
Zicou chapter 74 . 8/29/2011
Awesome chapter, I loved it, and its endig.. even more :)

Gelasia Kidd chapter 74 . 8/29/2011
Ohmy. I can't stop laughing. Must.. BREATH. In, out. Haaa. xD This was great.
constant3 chapter 74 . 8/29/2011
I'm glad to say that this chapter made a lot more sense, so I guess only some chapters are utterly confusing. I think focusing on plot instead of random thought helps with that. Thanks.
LookingForChemistry chapter 74 . 8/29/2011
LMAO! what IS Snape doing?
potterinu chapter 74 . 8/29/2011
Very nice. :) love the last bit.
Normal Anomaly chapter 74 . 8/29/2011
This made me very happy. The part about the Order not owling all the Death Eaters hand grenades was important and thought provoking, but mostly I'm just happy from all the awesome.
iphis15 chapter 74 . 8/29/2011
Giggle. Giggle. Giggle.

~Mademise Morte
Gastogh chapter 74 . 8/29/2011

MMMMMMo..yMM/ :oss:/MMs...:NMd ./oso- /MMs...oMMMMMM

MMMMMm-..hMM. .MMd...MMo MMd...-mMMMMM

MMMMN-...sMM/ -MMh.../MMy -MMh...-NMMMM

I hope that worked. In case it didn't, allow me to paraphrase:

You, good sir, are awesome.
uo-chou chapter 74 . 8/29/2011
The ending was hilarious! Keep up the excellently rational work!
SlickRCBD chapter 74 . 8/29/2011
Dumbledore's attitude is perfectly normal for a school administrator, and you had Harry pegging it on the head. It's better to have victims living in fear and suffering in silence than fighting back, since fighitng back does lead to escalation. Escalation makes it difficult to pretend there isn't a problem and makes the school look bad. So, rather than come down hard on the bullies who are unlikely to change, they come down hard on the victims who fight back and tell them bullshit like "you need to pick your battles, and just let them win" or "find a way to avoid conflict", and my personal favorite "just ignore the bullies".

It really angers me as I was on the receiving end of both bullies and Dumbledore's attitude. Why they only concentrate on trying to change the victim's behavior and make them accept the bullying rather than coming down on the bullies for harassing others I don't understand.
Vaidile chapter 74 . 8/29/2011
Oh my. The ending of this chapter was priceless.

I've actually been eager for Self Actualization to end, but the last chapter sort of made it up for the previous ones.

It's the first time I'm commenting on this story, so I'd like to say that the only other works on Harry Potter I've enjoyed this much are the books of Rowling herself. This is such an amazing story: hilarious at times, powerful and moving at others, and well-considered and unpredictable throughout all of it. Of course, it has its ups and downs; I almost quit reading after Locating the Hypothesis- it was just too weird even for me. And if this cycle you're doing now was located somewhere in the beginning of the story, I'd probably have quit as well. But I know you can do so much better, so... Waiting for more good stuff to come.

Anyway, keep it up! This is certainly the best HP fanfic there is!
AngelForm chapter 74 . 8/29/2011
Using the essence of an Outer God to summon, no bind, not command but simply summon, one person.

Not a bad reputation to have.
Remoara chapter 74 . 8/29/2011
Ah, so much awesome. Still can't wait to buy Eliezer's upcoming the non-fiction book(s) on human rationality! And copies for friends and family!
chronodekar chapter 74 . 8/29/2011

I'm laughing in my chair now! "she ate my soul!"

Too good mate ! Too good !

jdboss1 chapter 74 . 8/29/2011
you are a god of fanfiction

Professor Quirrel lol

the spell lol

think it might be best to just remove the add 4 money

i will you shood get money for your hard work but i can see it piss pelpe off on there to see you asking

best fic ever
harrypotterspirit chapter 74 . 8/29/2011
Excellent and humorous chapter.
Madmax1960 chapter 74 . 8/29/2011
Great chapter. Keep up the good work.

Giveres chapter 74 . 8/29/2011
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA! Omg, dying of laughter! Keep it up!
Larry Huss chapter 74 . 8/29/2011
OMG! Tracey is now a soul-eater! Considering what Pansy had to offer, won't poor Tracey starve? Loved the chapter, most especially (as you can tell) at the end.

yrs Larry Huss
Beth anon chapter 74 . 8/29/2011
"Tracy ate my sooooouuuuuuuullll!"

I and my kid are delighted to see new chapters!
SnowFox345 chapter 74 . 8/29/2011
I can't stop laughing.

It is all pure AWESOMENESS. The aftermath had me in tears, it was so awesome. I don't think this story could ever get enough praise.
Gogolu chapter 74 . 8/29/2011
That was amazing.
LAHH chapter 74 . 8/29/2011
Absolutely excellent. Thanks for updating. x
Markus Ramikin chapter 74 . 8/29/2011
Good chapter, more fun to read than the last one.

"You sacrificed your soul to Harry Potter?" - that one made me laugh.

It's interesting that Professor Quirrel himself is a little bit of a Chaos God - Harry can get him to help, but it is dangerous to try, and he must be appeased, tempted with the right approach. I wonder how long till it bites him in the ass.

Harry (and Dumbledore before him) jumped to the conclusion that it was Quirrel helping the girls all along a little quickly there. Given that Snape was actually revealed there, you'd think they'd at least consider alternatives...
Arkh Cthuul chapter 74 . 8/29/2011
You are certifiebly evil beyond reproach.

This part

Made me laugh so hard, my coworkers thought I had gone nuts.

I also liked the reference to Tzintchi, as I am a fan of "The open Door" myself.

In short: marvellous chapter. Absolutely.

Only the end with the soul eating thing seemed a wee bit forced.
kitiem3000 chapter 74 . 8/29/2011
Fun ending. :P
CassieMouse chapter 74 . 8/29/2011
This was the most humorous thing I read in recent memory. Thanks.
admiralskippy chapter 74 . 8/29/2011
This has been a epic chapter and an epic few days.

The Summer Challenge going from 39K to 100K.

The DLP haters routed and driven back to their holes, their tiny erections deflated.

And Harry Potter James Evans Verres is revealed as an avatar of Nyarlathotep, the crawling chaos.

Looking forward to Wednesday/Thursday :D
Death by manga chapter 74 . 8/29/2011
Ha Ha Ha. My God. I laughed my $$ off during the Aftermath. They WERE all just goofing off right? Cause if not, Harry might of just invented the funniest Insanity curse in his time.

I like the idea of letting evil get away. Harry needs a lesson in Escalation. Good cannot overcome evil forever. Order in the universe is not a possibility, but a definite reality. The stronger good gets, the stronger evil gets, with there always being 49% good, 49% Evil, and 2% Neutral in the world.
quickshot0 chapter 74 . 8/29/2011
One can't help but be reminded of the beginning of the school year where the sorting hat 'said' it was kidding, I'm quite sure all the students now very seriously doubt that.

At the rate things are going I imagine the remainder of the school year can but lead up to a very unsettled remainder of the school year, that and probably a cult based around Chaos... though maybe that's inevitable already...
dora chapter 74 . 8/29/2011
great chapter! it's really nice knowing in advance when a chapter will be posted.

i thought severus was intervening in the fights from the beginning. i wonder if harry is going to find out it was him, and not quirrell, all along?
anon chapter 74 . 8/29/2011
Excellent chapter!

Still not happy about the advertisement on the previous chapter but this new chapter has me forgive you. :)
The Dain chapter 74 . 8/29/2011
I went to sleep with a big smile on my face and woke up with one. On a monday morning with an early shift. Good work. :)

"I suppose we will discover tomorrow whether anyone took that seriously, when we read the newspapers and see whether all the magical nations of the world are banding together in a desperate effort to seal off your incursion into our reality." - Ooh, I read that one, that was an amazing HP/Dreseden Files crossover alright.

"Even so, the most terrible ritual known to me demands only a rope which has hanged a man and a sword which has slain a woman; and that for a ritual which promised to summon Death itself." - Ah, I see, he's somewhat of a traditionalist. Everyone who keeps up with modern thaumaturgical research knows that strictly speaking, you can summon Death just as effectively with three small sticks and 4 cc of mouse blood, or even with a fresh small egg. :D
James Orland chapter 74 . 8/29/2011
Infinite silent laughter in my classroom at the Aftermath.
TbD chapter 74 . 8/29/2011
You, kind author, are the defenition of awesome.

Seriously, I don't know of any other writer that could make a student tell "proffessor Snape, She ate my soul" And not seem complketely ridiculous. LOVE it.

Now she'll just have to go emo :P
Just Awesome Like That chapter 74 . 8/29/2011

I had Frosty The Snowman stuck in my head this entire chapter.

I blame you.
Triangular Reasoning chapter 74 . 8/29/2011
Damn, Eliezer, way to redeem yourself after a so-so chapter 73. Been checking the reviews and its good to know people have stopped jumping down your neck.

I mean, forget the ethics, the donations, the legality, all that stuff, just hell of a good chapter, and love how you made characters who never really got any characterization in the original series (Daphne, Blaise, Millisent, TRACEY, etc) into such lovable and interesting characters. And congrats on hitting 100K. Not to dwell on the morality of it, but before you mentioned it here it was at 39K. In maybe four odd days its at 100K, and still rising.

Another great chapter and hope 75 is equally good, gonna be real interesting if Hermione gets jealous of Tracey. Can you say catfight?
Eternal Density chapter 74 . 8/29/2011
Hilarious! (also, clever) The aftermath in particular had me giggling. And I don't normally giggle.
The Lord of Chaos chapter 74 . 8/29/2011
Oh, my, what an awesome chapter, an excellent addition to an excellent fic. But you're killing me with wonder, what exactly has been going on in Snape's head?
Celestial Moonwalker chapter 74 . 8/29/2011
Truthfully, I have some trouble comprehending it's not the second year yet. But it's awesome so I'll get used to it.

It's rather disturbing to realise Harry is right. I don't think the students are being taught to fight back - be they bullies, abusing authorities or DE
Joern chapter 74 . 8/29/2011
Thank you for this great chapter! I guess the last two sections will keep me grinning for the rest of the day. The escalation from three to 44 bullies seems a little excessive but of course makes the win that much more awesome. I currently have no idea how the final resolving confrontation will exceed this scenario but I'm sure you'll find a way. I also liked the part about the morality of "dark" rituals and the reminder of the inherent stupidity of the wizarding world. Regarding the invoking of the chaotic gods, I would have expected association of Khorne with the right hand and Tzeentch with the left hand (dexter/sinister) but I only read a few Warhammer novels and your directions might be more appropriate.

It's great to have your stories back.
simaetha chapter 74 . 8/29/2011
This was beautiful. I especially liked Quirrell, but that last line was just *perfect*. :)

Slight criticism: the bullies work as a plot device. That said, I find your characterisation of them increasingly bizarre. I mean - in their heads, people aren't generally bullies. Chances are, they're telling themselves they're *right*: in their heads, the real problem is their victim, for being different in whatever way... and they're not bullying them, they're just teasing them a bit. It's the victim's fault if they can't take a joke. Et cetera.

So I literally cannot imagine what would go through a seventh-year's head to make them thing they ought to hunt down and beat up a first-year girl for her stated goal of preventing bullying. As I remember from school, it's pretty hard to get a seventh-year to even *notice* a first-year's existence, let alone think that said first-year is any sort of threat to them. And I'm not sure why seventh-years with enough social status to be a lieutenant in an army &c would bother to beat anyone up, instead of just saying mean things behind their back and encouraging other people to do the actual bullying for them, like bullies with social power often do. I dunno, it all just seems a bit strange.
Fenrir666 chapter 74 . 8/29/2011
I love the 40k references you put in this story. And the last scene? Loved it. Sometimes you forget the kids in the story are just eleven, and then-BAM! Instant hilarity!
Chris chapter 74 . 8/29/2011
Damn, you're back on form, Eliezer!

I just about pissed myself laughing with Tracy in this chapter, the "Chaotic Tracey" bit had me in stitches, and I just had to go back to get this quote:

Daphne spun on Tracey, incensed. "You? Take Harry away from Hermione?"

"Yeah!" said Tracey. "Me!"

"You're nuts," Daphne stated with conviction. "Even if you had kissed him first, you know what that would make you? The sad little lovestruck girl who dies at the end of Act Two."

Hindsight makes it all the funnier, or maybe I just have a strange sense of humour. Great chapter, looking forward to the next bit in four days!
Delta chapter 74 . 8/29/2011
It bothers me slightly that for most of the fic (as in, about the most recent two-thirds), on the rare occasions where Draco's social skills give him the edge over Harry, he doesn't have a good way of using that fact. I don't like the idea of him just being a foil.

That said, he is an AWESOME, HILARIOUS foil, and he is very, very good at minimising his losses.

The new chapter actually made me laugh out loud multiple times. I don't usually do that with fiction (that includes most of your fiction).
LM1991 chapter 74 . 8/29/2011
That was FANTASTIC. I laughed like crazy... I liked the thing about Tracy 'eating' Parkinson's soul best... and that wail at the end of the chapter! Funny... Please update soon!
Nancy Lebovitz chapter 74 . 8/29/2011
Lots of good stuff in the chapter, so I'm going to mention something no one else has- apparently even Quirrelmort can be driven to depression by grading student papers.
Elelith chapter 74 . 8/29/2011
Priceless...just priceless. One of your funniest chapters yet. The entertainment Harry prepared for his Professor and the aftermath...I might go back to write a proper review once I can stop laughing.
narutopsykoz chapter 74 . 8/29/2011
LMAO ! Awesome ! :)

"Tracy ate my soul "
kiramythos chapter 74 . 8/29/2011
The Monster

You argue semantics, which I will concede matter a fair bit in the world of law. Unfortunately for you, your understanding of copyright is so incomplete I would be willing to bet you Googled the word "Intellectual Property" for the sole purpose of jumping to the defense the author-a full grown man who is more than welcome to, but apparently unable to, defend himself. Characters themselves are, in fact, included in copyright-not just their names. If a character is recognizably plagiarized (as is the case in all fanfiction; try arguing that your Harry Potter, attending Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry is different from the one in the books...), then it is arguably infringement of the copyright holder's rights. As J.K. Rowling and Warner Brothers are the legal owners of the INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY, by DDEFAULT they own the copyright to the characters contained within it (in case you're confused, copyright is not something that has to be filed, though it can be).

This is why fanfiction as a whole is considered to be in a 'legal grey-area.' The use of copyrighted characters/settings/events/materials is quite obviously infringement of the owner's rights to those characters/settings/etc. However, some argue that as fanfiction authors do not have any financial gain involved in publishing their work online, the use of copyrighted material falls under Fair Use (which isn't actually a law, just an attempt at defense).

Still following?

Over a very short time, a Fundraiser which displayed modest donations more than doubled it's intake. Great. Unfortunately, corresponding to the rise in donations, is Mr. Yudkowsky's ill-advised plea for donations to fanfiction audience. Alright, that's not exactly the best place to be asking for them, legally, but most people will turn a blind eye to it. Unfortunately, he further tied donations his (already copyright infringing) fanfiction work by offering to release chapters faster in exchange for donations. You can argue all you want that this doesn't constitute a service, but if an established, published author did the same, you'd damn well understand that you are paying for a service, specifically the earlier access to more of the story. So now this not-for-profit is receiving revenue for the early publishing of copyright infringing material.

Worse yet, this not-for-profit organization is one that the author of said material co-founded. The organization also signs the man's paycheque. Hmm, now you see how he could be seen to be profiting off the SALE of copyrighted material, I hope. Putting money through multiple channels to hide the source, by the way, does not absolve Mr. Yudkowsky of responsibility. In fact, money laundering is a crime.

While I hold no personal or professional respect for/grudge against Mr. Yudkowsky whatsoever (aside from my own amazement at his arrogance-calling DLP nothing but a bunch of trolls when a quick perusal of the site shows a number of their members to be among the most talented writers in the fandom (some even published authors) was inspired, by the way), and am willing to give him the benefit of the doubt that laundering money gained from clearly-illegal practices is not his intent, were I a lawyer for Rowling or WB, I would probably assume he was, just for the sake of thoroughness. Normally, I would ignore such a risk and work under the assumption that either the lawyers will disregard it all, or they will prosecute to the full extent of the law. Either is possible, really, but the latter option unfortunately would draw undue attention to a community that, by and large, has done nothing wrong (the Harry Potter fanfiction fandom). This is not what you might call a good thing, though admittedly nothing may come of any of it.

On top of the POTENTIAL for legal interference in the community, the act itself is just fucking slimy. There are appropriate places for donation requests, and is not one of them. And for that reason is have only one further thing to say to LessWrong: how about some god damned tact.

Mikko Rauhala chapter 74 . 8/29/2011
Ahh, this is what I'm talking about, getting back into high gear. What can I say, I'm a sucker for overpowered craziness. Ritual and its analysis a nice touch, as was the shark simile. And many other smaller things. One presumes Quirrel was the one that revealed Snape.

Undoubtedly Harry will find a way to let poor Tracey down in a spectacularly backfiring fashion.
Hayden Elrics chapter 74 . 8/29/2011
Ha! Angst is a must for the soulless eh? Twilight reference mayhaps?
josh148513 chapter 74 . 8/29/2011
Lol omg

I thought I die of laughter

Interesting turn

Can't wait

Update soon
GL chapter 74 . 8/29/2011
i have it on good authority that soul tastes like chicken
MikeK7 chapter 74 . 8/29/2011
This chapter was amazing. Definitely the best of the SA arc (so far).

One part I found interesting: "it was also said that the counterspell to dismiss Death had been lost"

So then, dementors have been destroyed before? That would suggest that Harry's Patronus 2.0 is really Patronus 1.0, and that the animal form was perhaps born when the early wizards gave up on trying to end Death. Could the desire to end Death be the very reason why Magic was discovered (or created) in the first place?
Pentecost chapter 74 . 8/29/2011
I'm a fan of your work, both here and on Less Wrong, but, the DLP forum... they aren't the ass hole's you're making them out to be. I lurk on that site, much as I lurk on Less Wrong, and the reviews on MoR, were pretty 50/50, yes, they are pretty snobby about their works, but you are exaggerating and it just seems petty.
The Sarcastic Waffle chapter 74 . 8/29/2011
Oh my god this is epic. You are so awesome for writing this that words literally fail me. I honestly lost count of the number of times I burst out laughing just this chapter. You, sir, win the internets.
SherpaRage chapter 74 . 8/29/2011
Eliezer? I love you. I want your brain. I want your wit. I want your ability to make people literally ROFLMAOing.

The Sherpa.
Sawyer chapter 74 . 8/29/2011
I am so very happy to see you updating again. I've picked up several new vocabulary words from reading this fic, now I just need to work them into my everyday language. Keep up the terrific work!

The ritual Professor Quirrell spoke of, does it summon a dementor? Since they are shades of death, no one really knows how they came about, and the counter charm was "lost".
urfan chapter 74 . 8/29/2011
Wow, I this chapter was both utterly hilarious and a genuine treat. I never would have imagined an intellect of your sort would be as familiar with the gods of chaos ala Gameworkshop's warhammer and warhammer 40k franchises but I was delightfully surprised nonetheless.

Harry as the fifth god of chaos no less? The god of chaos unidvided? I find myself left with but one comment- L O L

Truly, I shouldn't be surprised I myself play the games alongside lawyers, physicians, professors (at times), and all the ilk of the common man, but still I was surprised to find one of your stature familiar with the mythos ... and the incredibly appropriate use thereof.

Also, Voldemort's ...envy... of Harry's place as a dread power is equally utterly hilarious. What a treat indeed after these long months in wait. Alas, I can see the end is near for Quirrel, but even then His growing fondness for Harry as an equal-to-be is also intertesting- afterall whom else indeed was ever able to draw him out of a 'funk'? Such an intersting story on all fronts...

Is it any wonder at all why this is the most reviewed HP fanfic of all time? I find myself totally enthralled with thoughts of where things will continue to delve from hereon.

Amuse me. Humor me. Amaze me.

Rufus Shinra SFFS chapter 74 . 8/29/2011
I'm feeling sad for all those poor students and teachers. A ritual calling forth the Chaos Gods of WH40k, some Old Ones, a BtVS high demon, just to summon a few seconds of Potterish Chaos... And they don't even know that such a ritual must obviously be underpowered. Yeah, no wonder even Albus is speechless at that.

I've been laughing way too hard for my own good at that (especially at the last line, oh God, the last line!), and yep, it's official, MOR is back in business, and crazier than ever!
Ivar Hugo chapter 74 . 8/29/2011
Now, I did enjoy this chapter, but something is puzzling to me… forty-four bullies banded together to face eight first years? Presumably the bullies were mostly upper years, and I do seem to remember that you expanded the class-sizes at Hogwarts, but damn, that has got to be a non-trivial percentage of students right there! I would be interested to know how many students there are at Hogwarts at any given time. I’m not sure you’ve provided such information in the past, but I don’t think so.

I do find myself wanting to see more of your Snape. He’s definitely up to something, and your portrayal of him is fascinating. I hope he features in the eagerly anticipated updates.

The last scene was funny, and I also think it’s good to be reminded from time to time that these are eleven year old children. They can be foolish and childish; they SHOULD be foolish and childish.

Oh, by the way, I hope to see an update regarding the armies, how they are doing after the split. I can imagine that the morale of Chaos is soaring; if it makes up for the lost personnel I wouldn’t know.
smusma chapter 74 . 8/29/2011
This makes my brain smile through the pain. That is all.
Argency chapter 74 . 8/29/2011
It's the goosebumps that make this fic so incredible for me. There's something about Yudkowsky's description of the epic scenes that just makes my skin crawl in awe. When Tracey started intoning I had trouble sitting still. Ripper!
Daleu chapter 74 . 8/28/2011
Also, what's Hermione's reaction? I can see her being pretty angry at Harry and worried about him, since she should surely have deduced Quirrell's involvement and we know she is mistrustful of him.

Also, even though Harry was ostensibly only protecting Tracey, he really did arrange for all of them to be protected and she may worry that it could look again like he's doing things to anyone who threatens Hermione, which she earlier said she didn't want him to do after he scared Padma.

This chapter was fantastic. Apparently unlike some other reviewers, I've really enjoyed Self Actualisation, Plausible Deniability was a highlight, but this climactic chapter was the perhaps the best yet of the series.
Daleu chapter 74 . 8/28/2011
-"A message from your informant?" said Hermione, when Daphne told her. "That's odd - I

Ah, so Hermione has been getting further mysterious parchments under her pillow from Severus Snape since the first?

So I guess she's just assumed that Daphne has the same informant, when really Hermione has been (unknowingly) "letting" the time loops collapse into stability only when Millicent travels back to inform Daphne. Wait...

Anyway, I love how the end degenerates into a schoolyard playground argument: "TEACHER, TRACEY SAYS SHE STOLE MY SOUL, MAKE HER GIVE IT BACK."

Snape is angry because students (the "head bully") managed to locate and stun him? I was actually a little surprised that he didn't manage to block the spell, since he is supposed to be extremely powerful. Unless there's more to that bit than meets the eye.
irdgad chapter 74 . 8/28/2011
This chapter is much better than the previous ones. Its great to see Quirrell and Harry back in action. I got bored reading the last few chapters. Keep updating soon.
BobH-199 chapter 74 . 8/28/2011
Okay...he's back.

After a (very) long dry spell it's worth it again. Both the interaction with Professor Quirrell, which was excellent, and laughing to pee myself, "Tracey ate my sooouuul!", it's nice to see this again.

Welcome back!

liobi chapter 74 . 8/28/2011
Oh gosh.

"Professor Snaaaaaape! Tracey ate my sooouuul!"

Oh gosh ahahahahaha. Never stop writing. Please xD
Solstice of Life chapter 74 . 8/28/2011
I love you. That is all I can say about the sheer awesomeness of this story.
Ephemeral-Nightboy chapter 74 . 8/28/2011
I love the irony here.

["He wants a girl willing to channel his dread powers, that's what he wants."]

Tracy may be more correct here than she realizes, since Harry's "dread power" is actually Rational Thought, which Hermione does indeed "channel" better and more willingly than any other girl he knows. And that would obviously be something that Harry looks for in a partner.

Funny. Was that intentional?
sizuka2 chapter 74 . 8/28/2011
Dumbledore thinks Daphne needed hidden help to pull off her comeback against Jaime. Theory: Snape has always been there,helping out deniably (but not mentioning it to Dumbledore - he only denied helping in the HP summons)... probably legilimizing and using that memory-charmed Slytherin Prefect to tap the message system to know when to intervene. Tonks was there after, and now finally Quirrell. Sphew has BACKUP.
Alex Mennen chapter 74 . 8/28/2011
I'd been wondering for a while why you always had SPHEW win every time, and in the fight in this chapter, I was thinking, "Okay, now this is just getting stupid." I should have realized that you would be going somewhere with that. :)
s-david-m chapter 74 . 8/28/2011
Excellent chapter, and quite a chilling ending to Harry and Quirrell's conversation.
Graham Percival chapter 74 . 8/28/2011
That chapter was absolutely incredible. I know that some people aren't fond of the Self Actualization arc, and it was hard for you to write, but that was one of the best chapters ever. Incredibly funny, combined with dark hints of Quirrell's goals, vague excuses for Dumbledor's inactions, etc.
Elz Durden chapter 74 . 8/28/2011
This is all that is right and good in fiction. I admire you.
Zankaru Zelladonii chapter 74 . 8/28/2011

Oh wow, I have gone beyond speechless into wordless screaming.

Had my playlist on while reading the chapter, and 'requiem for a dream' started playing right as tracey started her ritual. Which was bloody epic!

This has been my favorite fanfic for a couple months running, but I believe this chapter has cemented the position.

Blood and ashes, that was good. Thank you!

J chapter 74 . 8/28/2011
A great climax to the battle in this chapter, and a hilarious ending.
November 5th chapter 74 . 8/28/2011
*Is recovering from laughing so hard it made his chest hurt.*

Overjoyed to see that the Institute's grant is doing so well, and happy to see another chapter. The end was an utterly priceless scene. A lot of HP fiction ignores that 11 year olds are children, and you don't get a lot of them acting like it. Something like this scene probably plays out in 5th grade classrooms all the time, if a little less serious in nature.

I can only hope for a Prof. Snape reaction shot.

keeperofcoldtoes chapter 74 . 8/28/2011
" "Why is my life like this?" said Draco Malfoy. "

I outright lol'd at that. Okay, that isn't so much of an impressive feat considering this story has made me flat-out, cackle like a loon beforehand. Still, I enjoyed it immensely. :D
Madsamurai chapter 74 . 8/28/2011
I don't think I've ever laughed so much during a story. Especially the part where harry realizes that Tracy sacrificed Yog-Sothoth!

I am really liking these chapters about the girls. There is a great amount of humor, wit and character building here.
ssjgokillo chapter 74 . 8/28/2011
To sum this chapter up in three words (or one acronym!): LOL

Great stuff. I was worried there at the start of the fight, but man oh man did was that hilarious. Though Dumbledore seems to think Harry's involvement runs a bit deeper then it does. Anywho, great stuff, looking forward to the next chapter.

And as I don't know what a OKCupid profile is, I cannot add this, though I certainly would otherwise.
Eclipse1234 chapter 74 . 8/28/2011
This was probably my favourite chapter of all time, of any book, ever.
SexySnape99 chapter 74 . 8/28/2011
Most. Brilliant. Chapter. EVER.
iamnuff chapter 74 . 8/28/2011
was hoping for a dragonsalve.

that last scene with tracy is just completly out of this world.
Violet Shadows chapter 74 . 8/28/2011
Not bad, though to be honest her aria needs work, especially since you don't mind borrowing from other works. Too many sources - I think I would have liked it better if you stuck with one or two and adjusted it for a catchier flow. The bit with Harry as an outsider was pretty good though as ideas go, reminds me of Shinji and Warhammer 40k, but with more con.
AndrewC chapter 74 . 8/28/2011
My goodness chapter 74 was hilarious.
Lucas Sloan chapter 74 . 8/28/2011
I must say that I find Pansy's reaction a little disconcerting, sure stealing someone's cryonics necklace is serious, but what sort of idiot hasn't a replacement? Otherwise, a very fine update. I especially like the portrayal of the bare minimum of friendship that quirrel is capable of feeling.
Shikaku Zetsumei chapter 74 . 8/28/2011
Aftermath was amazing! Need to read what happens next

~Shikaku Zetsumei
Bittersweet Freedom chapter 74 . 8/28/2011
I can actually understand what Dumbledore is trying to say, but that seems like a difficult thing to try to attempt. Which battles should you lose? When should you fight?

Anyway, love this chapter, funniest in a while, and I love Tracey. Actually, I like her more than Hermione. The way she acts all love-sick and trusting is cute. :)

Can't wait to see the repercussions from Harry's POV.
Multipartite chapter 74 . 8/28/2011

(Properly paying attention to and nurturing the appropriate threads of curiosity about the various other matters to keep in mind. However, the squeeing climax at the sacrifice-related part is significant enough that I feel no remorse at letting the most processing power go to experiencing it.)
Culhu31415927 chapter 74 . 8/28/2011
The last bit of this chapter was SO FREAKIN HILARIOUS! I loved it. The last few chapters I thought were a bit dull but this one more than makes up for it!
hhrforeverhhr chapter 74 . 8/28/2011
lmao... this story is unbelievable..
Howard Russell chapter 74 . 8/28/2011
Evil must be opposed. If you can't get HJPEV and Quirellmort to teach Dumbledore that, at least slap him with a dead fish. If logic fails, a little surrealism might do the trick. Or at least be as amusing as Tracy eating Pansy's soul. Bwahahaha!
Daniel chapter 74 . 8/28/2011
HEAHAHA "she ate my soouul" haeheaheaheha soo good! ANd my god, is voldemort getting a soft spot for Harry "boy-who-lived" Potter? That would be, as is the words of Harry Potter :"Awesome!". ANd this whole story is awesome! and you are awesome!
bakapervert chapter 74 . 8/28/2011
Thanks for the update.
Maimakterion chapter 74 . 8/28/2011
Oh god, i nearly fell off my chair laughing at that ending.

~ja ne
Fangren chapter 74 . 8/28/2011
["I... see," said Harry, as he trod through the halls of Hogwarts after Professor Quirrell, following him toward the Defense Professor's office. "So my chant, the way I wrote it, implies that the Outer God, Yog-Sothoth -"

"Was permanently sacrificed to fuel a ritual which but briefly manifested your presence," said Professor Quirrell. "I suppose we will discover tomorrow whether anyone took that seriously, when we read the newspapers and see whether all the magical nations of the world are banding together in a desperate effort to seal off your incursion into our reality."]

That part made me laugh so very, very hard. Thank you. Keep up the excellent work.
Mz Luna Potter chapter 74 . 8/28/2011
Funniest chapter ever!
Anonymous chapter 74 . 8/28/2011
Great chapter, really enjoyed it. I recognize most spells in this fic as D&D references or Anime references (Lagann for breaking through things, for example, is a tribute to TTGL). The "dark red hexagon" seemed at first glance to be an Eva reference, but then I remembered in NGE the AT field was octagonal. Anyone got a clue?
SaintPeter chapter 74 . 8/28/2011
I laughed so hard at the end bits that I cried. I feel for Draco - tiz truly a sad thing indeed to be the only sane people left in a world gone mad.
loonyphoenix chapter 74 . 8/28/2011
I loved everything about this chapter. Best one in the arc so far.
Speechwriter chapter 74 . 8/28/2011
The heir of Malfoy had slumped forward, resting his head in both hands, so that nobody could see his face. "Why is my life like this?" said Draco Malfoy.

I love you.
db48x chapter 74 . 8/28/2011
Wow, I haven't laughed that hard in a long time. I love the way Harry's solutions always go way over the top in the drama department. Thanks.
Adam chapter 74 . 8/28/2011
I have a really stupid grin that is going to remain only face for the rest of the night. That chapter was awesome!
Rurouni209 chapter 74 . 8/28/2011
Another Xanatos Gambit successfully achieved. Although perhaps it was more of a Batman Gambit since the girls could have simply not shown up in the hallway, and the plot would have just disappeared quietly. Still, was pretty climactic and hilarious to boot. Enjoyable read.
Denubis chapter 74 . 8/28/2011
This chapter was absolutely fantastic, causing violent laughing out loud moments. Thank you for this (rather unexpectedly early) gift.
Raven3182 chapter 74 . 8/28/2011
Well done. I enjoyed this chapter very much. Especially the aftermath. Tracy ate my soul! Excellent! Thanks for writing!
Peregrinate chapter 74 . 8/28/2011
Thank you. For reminding me what I'd forgotten.
AwsmAdm chapter 74 . 8/28/2011
This chapter was fantastic, and the ending may have been one of the funniest things I've ever read.
w chapter 74 . 8/28/2011
Excellent update. Nice to see you back in form, after somewhat more average previous episodes of the arc.

Nice things:

Q becoming spooky. Uranus/Newton. "Citing experimental results about keeping a gratitude journal as a strategy for improving life happiness didn't seem like it would be taken well." Tracey. Draco. KKK. Tonks. Dumbledore conversation. Q growing fond of H. The Potions class. It's quite impressive you can do also the funny parts so well.

"Even so, the most terrible ritual known to me demands"... this is interesting, is he lying deliberately now?
Khadon chapter 74 . 8/28/2011
Okay, I feel like there's a chance this plot arc has finally become just a tad to unrealistic to believe. I'll be damned if it isn't the funniest thing I've read in a while though. Tracy is getting dangerously close to being my favorite female character in this fic.

The way she just blindly trust and believes in the power of Harry had me laughing my ass off. Pansy's fear of losing her soul was just icing on the cake.
Dinner chapter 74 . 8/28/2011
This chapter, was made if win!
Fluphy Ninja chapter 74 . 8/28/2011
i am struggling to contain my laughter as i type this. i just love how you have the eleven year olds actually act like eleven year olds, for the most part being stupid.
Sin of the Fallen chapter 74 . 8/28/2011
Oh this is too funny for words! If only we oils take your first year and replace it with Rowlings life would be good... Till then I'll settle with awesome fanfiction!
JoshuaZ chapter 74 . 8/28/2011
Ok. So that ritual references Dr. Seuss (explicitly), Slayers, Hellraiser, Warhammer, and HP Lovecraft.

I'm a little worried. We know that a lot of fictional stuff in non-HP fiction turns out to be real in this universe. I hope Harry hasn't accidentally triggered something.

Also, this does raise a serious question: Since Harry has read Lord of the Rings and Lovecraft and a fair bit of other stuff, how much of what he is making up is made by him from fiction he knows and how much is stuff that he happens to write that sounds good that happens to (at a meta level) reference fiction in our universe? For example, it is extremely unlikely although just potentially possible for Harry to have seen some version of Slayers. But this seems unlikely.

Overall, this was a great mix of seriousness, hilarity, zany madcap fun, and with a bit of useful psychology thrown in there. This is HPMR at its best.
Overlooked Supporting Cast chapter 74 . 8/28/2011
I think I will have a smile permanently affixed to my face for several years. I could fail all my classes, lose my apartment and all my worldly possessions, suffer the impact of a javelin that sliced through the portions of my brain containing my knowledge of calculus -and- Feynman -and- joy, abandon all sense and *become a theist*, and still stay smiling.
Matthew Fallshaw chapter 74 . 8/28/2011
Thank you, EY. Thank you for bringing unstopping the flow.
OwlofNight chapter 74 . 8/28/2011
Amazing. Amazing. Amazing. DOFBGHGJHIFJEFIGGJIG

Thank you for writing this story, i hope it doesn't get canceled and i totally love LW and the whole rationalist community that was revealed to me because of this story.

Epic Chapter indeed my dear Eliezer.
Hanzo of the Salamander 2.0 chapter 74 . 8/28/2011
Loonynamelass chapter 74 . 8/28/2011
There are many things about this chapter that please me more than this arc has been pleasing me lately.

I'm so happy to know I can expect regular-ish updates from this story for a while. I suppose my next review will be in the weekend... :)
AlwaysInADream chapter 74 . 8/28/2011
Permanently sacrifice Yog-Sothoth... to briefly summon Harry Potter.

... Now I've gotten this wild idea in my head that the ritual completely did work that way and somehow retroactively caused the entire fic.
linkhyrule5 chapter 74 . 8/28/2011

Good to see the funny's come back! I imagine Yog-Sothoth will be slightly annoyed...

And loved the Potions classroom, certainly.
Eli Courtwright chapter 74 . 8/28/2011
Wow. I mean, just... wow.

One of my favorite things about MoR is how the children in it are super-smart and competent and whatnot, but they're still children. And their childishness still comes out in subtle and amusing ways.

I absolutely LOVE this storyline because it emphasizes that more than anything else in MoR to date. I also think that it's a great followup to the Azkaban story arc, since it's a different type of conflict and you're not just trying to make every arc more intense and extreme than the last.