Reviews for Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality
Jerrod Tibor chapter 78 . 8/3
It's the LOTR guy again! My understanding is that part of the reason Frodo agreed to bear the ring was that he didn't want anybody else to bear it. He heard the ring whispering to him, he'd borne it long enough that it already was starting to have a hold on him.
Majerus chapter 78 . 7/16
Eeep!
aww crap.
AlenDarkStar chapter 78 . 11/13/2018
Hermione has a big, big problem.
Guest chapter 78 . 12/10/2017
1. God, I'm so relieved Neville is still Harrys Lieutenant. I feared Harry might've given him to Dragon army or worse Sunshine regiment.

2. I kinda like Tracey. I find her a way more interesting than Hermione. She is funny and I find her crush on harry amusing. Also her ambition to become his dark lady is sort of adorable. If they were'nt 11 I'd put more..err relationships in the story?
Which brings me to another point: The character's devolp nicely but they don't get older. Usually authors make the mistake that their character's age but they don't get any character development but here it's vica versa. It would'be been nicer if the plot covers up, let's say at least 3 years of their school time? Because I wouldn't find it really believable if 11-year-olds defeated Voldemort. (I hadn't the same issue with Enders Game cause I knew the kids were gen manipulated.)

3. And it's so fun to ponder about who might win the battle. It's always a surprise. Positive!
Beyond Hope chapter 78 . 9/25/2017
Ok not related to the chapter, but I was just watching a video on YouTube and it sounded like something Harry would do... So if you like the crazy stuff Harry comes up with, go watch What medieval weapons would wizards really use? by Shadiversity
Avatar Whitelighter chapter 78 . 8/21/2017
I welcomed a new age year while reading this epic. (I feel that a little over a month is a worthy while time line to read this epic story straight through),
ack1308 chapter 78 . 4/12/2017
Gleep?
The Anguished One chapter 78 . 8/25/2016
Welp, Lucius is going to disown Draco. Losing to a mudblood and then supposedly almost being killed by one... yeah, this is a bad day for Draco. I wonder what actually happened, seeing how the odds of Hermione trying to kill Draco are absurdly low.
Montara chapter 78 . 1/25/2016
I can't believe Draco would get his revenge like this! It's his style and yet...attempted murder?!
WatchingTheWatchman chapter 78 . 12/10/2015
Wow. Incredible chapter, I wish it could be made into a movie so everyone could see the scenes of the battle. They are intense!

Draco apparently hasn't learned enough from Harry yet, that duel is one of the stupidest ideas he's ever come up with.
ShadowLDrago chapter 78 . 10/30/2015
Wait, what?
GreatWyrmGold chapter 78 . 9/11/2015
"I find your lack of skepticism disturbing" is a great line.
Quirrell was a delight, as always. More so than often; he should snark at aristocrats more often.
I want to see the next day's Quibbler headline for some reason.

Great way to end the chapter, by the way.
Zyxis chapter 78 . 8/21/2015
. . . WOOOOOOOOWWW. I DON'T KNOW. BUT I ALREADY KNOW THAT THIS WILL BE INTERESTING. OUO
jpiabrantes chapter 78 . 6/23/2015
It was a great chapter but I don't get how Harry find out how to stir his potion. Should he stir it 4 times clockwise and one counterclockwise or should it be two? What's the logic behind it? Why didn't the potion release an imense amount of water that also was absorved by the tree during whole it's growth?

Anyway, i'm really enjoying this book
PA chapter 78 . 5/24/2015
Oh lord ...
TheButterflyComposer chapter 78 . 12/26/2014
And so she snaps...
Tarvok chapter 78 . 12/13/2014
"... with an 'E' at the end so people know we're not messing around!"
Anastasoula chapter 78 . 9/13/2014
Shouldn't everyone exposed to the light have sunburns, or at least tans/heating of their out garmets/body? Although I guess the crisping of skin due to UV rays takes longer than a couple seconds...
But, would the conservation of magic work on 'non-magical' stuff like acorns and sunlight? Seems fishy to me.
chris678 chapter 78 . 8/27/2014
So, I love the potion system, very straight forward and you can do a lot with it. My question is though, what if you use a magical metal heavier than iron? That's seems exceedingly dangerous. Is there a reason no one has accidentally brewed a supernova? Or is there some sort of mental block on atomic potions, like with partial transfiguration, the patronus, or the killing curse?
thepkrmgc chapter 78 . 8/3/2014
its sad how its the little choices that have the greatest impact on out future, but i suppose that it would be unreasonable to expect that these points of divergance come with a trumpeted fanfair
Guest chapter 78 . 6/3/2014
Thus it had been with some trepidation that Mr. and Mrs. Davis had insisted on an audience with Deputy Headmistress McGonagall. It was hard to muster a proper sense of indignation when you were confronting the same dignified witch who, twelve years and four months earlier, had given both of you two weeks' detention after catching you in the act of conceiving Tracey.

Haha
PiNerd3 chapter 78 . 3/30/2014
First of all - really great.

In this paragraph: "There was a cautionary tale the Potions Master had told them (with much sneers and laughter to make the stupidity seem low-status instead of daring and romantic) about a second-year witch in Beauxbatons who'd stolen some extremely restricted and expensive ingredients, and tried to brew Polyjuiceso she could borrow the form of another girl for purposes better left unmentioned. Only she'd managed to contaminate the potion with cat hairs, and then instead of seeking a healer immediately, the witch had hidden herself in a bathroom, hoping the effects would just wear off; and when she'd finally been found, it had been too late to reverse the transformation completely, condemning her to a life of despair as a sort of cat-girl hybrid."

here
\/
There's a missed space at "brew Polyjuiceso she"

Just wanted to mention it. :-)
Impressed chapter 78 . 2/15/2014
This has been one of my fav chapters. Like the battle thru the eyes of mom and dad. And surprise twist that her ions arrested! Is she guilty?
Julix chapter 78 . 2/7/2014
This chapter was muuuch better! It reminded me a little bit too much of the hunger games (I'd like to have had some kind of explanation at some point for what kind of magic is making those screens show stuff, and what exactly. Do the players have to be careful of what they're saying? Is it recorded in any way? Or is it much like a glass ball for seeing spells?) - Still the action was detailed and not too confusing, and had surprises and fun. VERY GOOD! :-)
julian.sloman chapter 78 . 2/7/2014
This review is actually an addition/retraction for last chapter - I just realized once again how many (very disconnected) things happen in a single chapter. Some had resolutions (sort of), like how did HP get to Dumbledores office. And I guess that conversation (except for the horribly irrational history abuse) was alright (I loved the Phoenix price shrine to fallen comarades)...
Alexja2013 chapter 78 . 2/2/2014
Wow unexpected much
Guest chapter 78 . 8/8/2013
Luna's Meow 4/8/13 . chapter 78

Kudos. You've brought this whole over-wrought, self-important, pretentious pseudo-fiction to its knees!

Apparently the "Methods of Rationality" [alluded to in the title] don't involve the use of Muggle Logic. Who knew!
mockingbuddha chapter 78 . 7/2/2013
I'm new to reviewing these things, only got involved because Of the Hermione thing that comes later, but THIS is my favorite chapter. The scenes in my head during the battle are sharper and clearer in my consciousness than anything from the REAL books, and they had movies to go with them. The extra level of having the parents there as avatars for the audience was great. I'm running out of positive critical adjectives here. I love this and wish I could get more people to read this book just for this chapter. Great work here. Daphne and Hannah vs Neville, one of the great fights of all time, who'd have thunk. Were those two girls even in Rowling's books?
Luna's Meow chapter 78 . 4/8/2013
Apparently equal signs don't show up in reviews, so I'm going to fix my previous one:

Interdict of Merlin Cannot learn extremely powerful magic from books.

Voldemort was made immortal by one or more Horcrux. He learned about these from books. (Even in THIS version of the story.)

Horcrux give the maker a type of IMMORTALITY.

Immortality therefore, according to the rules of this story, CANNOT be extremely powerful magic, or it wouldn't be readable in books. Therefore there would be no Horcrux made by Voldemort to begin with, and he wouldn't have stolen the books from the library.

Great story, but epic fail.
zhinker chapter 78 . 4/1/2013
I have to say, this is one of my all time favorite fan fics. Thanks for the great work and please keep it going!
IdleSpeculation chapter 78 . 9/20/2012
Revision to previous post, there is actually no particularly strong evidence that Atlantis is behind the genetic marker. Any sufficiently powerful prehistoric civilization, or for that matter even a singe intelligent person who bootstrapped their own intelligence using mental magic, could have come up with the genetic marker for magic.
IdleSpeculation chapter 78 . 9/20/2012
WARNING SPOILERS up through chapter 78
In between the potions following rules that make sense according to "a deranged version of thermodynamics invented by someone who thought life ought to be fair", transfiguration following a form of platonic idealism, except when Harry does it and it conforms to a modern understanding, Harry's patronus acting as he expects it to, and broomsticks following Aristotelian Physics, I'm beginning to suspect that almost all of the rules of magic are mental/subjective in nature, that is to say magic works how people expect it to. This is my main theory on hpmor magic. A few other burdensome details also contribute to this explanation:

1. Magic in Harry Potter fits muggle's stereotypes because they expect it to (i.e. flying on literal broomsticks)
2. Time turners can't work if information from the future is shared. However, in reality anything within the light-cone of the time traveler would receive information (in the physics sense). One time turner usage would stop everyone from using time turners during that 6-hour period. Add in the fact that time-turners have a limit of exactly 6 hours and this means that time travel follows rules related to human perception, and not the physical universe.
3. The fact that Voldemort is a sociopath gives him a perception outside that of an ordinary human and lets him use certain types of magic more effectively (i.e. dark magic).
4. Smart people in general are better at magic not necessarily because they study more but because they have a clearer perception of reality and their perception has a greater weight on magic.
5. Rituals magic follows human expectations on value when things are sacrificed.

Idle speculations based on this theory:
1. Arresto momentum could release more energy than atomic bombs if someone where arrest momentum as related to the earth's momentum around the sun, or better yet the galaxy.
2. Atlanteans didn't invent magic as Harry suspects, but rather figured out how to permanently strengthen their magic/associate magic with their descendants through a genetic marker. Irony points if it turn out to be in the blood (although the blood purists would still be wrong). This would mean that there must be some way for non-magical humans to manipulate magic (or how else would the Atlanteans use it before their genetic marker?)
3. I've got no good explanation for magical creatures. Atlantean retrovirus? Manifestations/personifications of human emotions/concepts (i.e. dementor manifestation of death, phoenix of goodness, unicorn of purity, etc.)? Maybe evolution/nature acts as a weak perception capable of warping reality?
4. A self modifying super-intelligence would be ridiculously magically powerful, because it could manipulate its own perceptions perfectly. Or conversely, super-intelligence might be impossible because the reality warping of its own perceptions would be self destructive/unstable/insane.
5. Harry might have a really hard time studying magic because any theory he makes will be confirmed because the magic will follow his perception of it (provided his perception is strong enough to outweigh that of the rest of the magical population).
6. If Harry does figure out that magic is altered by perceptions, then to master the underlying theory of magic in the case of humans he would have to master neurology and psychology. A general theory of magic would require a general theory of intelligence.
7. The afterlife might exists simply because everyone expects it to and desires it to.
8. Even if in story another theory is raised that explains magical phenomena, and is confirmed via experimentation, this theory might still be right after all and that theory is merely made true by everyone believing it.

TL;DR; Magic in hpmor is like Old World of Darkness/Mage the Ascension magic, except since everyone agrees how it work and muggles get obliviated, no one has noticed up till this point. Also, the scientific method and even Bayesian rationality might be underpowered when your beliefs do in fact alter reality.
Satire Swift chapter 78 . 8/11/2012
'A potion spends that which is invested in the creation of its ingredients.'

Hmmm... You know, it could be said that most matter was made inside of stars.

And that which wasn't was made in supernovas.

I think Harry now has the means to literally blow up the planet.
voodooqueen126 chapter 78 . 8/2/2012
your description of the Davis family is brilliant.
I have often wondered that people in the Potterverse seem slightly desexed.
Guest chapter 78 . 7/9/2012
I think that principle can be found in most computer manuals? Input equals output, or something like that.

Love how you set up Lucius to be Baron Vladimir Harkonnen.

Also, that potions rule only makes me respect Snape more. I want to hear more about him and Rianne. It's about time he moved on with his life.

And The Order of the Phoenix, I want to read more about that as well.
Riddletobien chapter 78 . 5/2/2012
I love the dance of natural sciences with magic that is everywhere in your fic. Up till now I most loved the time-turner part a while back, and the convoluted consequences of using a time-turner. The logic was so deliciously complicated! I couldn't understand completely what REALLY happened, but I loved thinking it through!

One thing I find unrealistic in your fic (aside from Harry behaving as at least a 25 year old, but I will forgive that :)), but perhaps cannot be avoided: Quirell would not put so much energy in first years, I think. Maybe some energy to form them as he likes, for which first years are very suitable, but his interest must actually be in the higher classes like the 6th and 7th years, right? Certainly if he'd set up a huge war-game like this one it would be among higher years.

Thank you for the energy you put into this. I find your site also very entertaining. Much writing pleasure to you!
madbrad chapter 78 . 4/7/2012
Loved the Dragons' copying the Chaos ploy to win the day; quite a surprise, quite clever.

Draco's chagrin, his obsession, with Hermione's overpowering his spell was most realistically and chillingly done. It's a natural consequence of all the 'pure blood superiority' nonsense I guess.

'The first Granger' - a clever title, too.
ficlay chapter 78 . 4/5/2012
Loved this battle. Hope it's not the last thou, since your battles-arc deserves a truly epic finale. Potions making is perhaps a bit overtly simple, if stirring is truly the only required thing. Your description of the inner workings of potions however was incredibly fascinating.

I'd love to see Harry brew evolution. Godhood is suddenly much closer.:)
Eli chapter 78 . 4/5/2012
Under arrest? Don't you mean she's "Bound by Law" ;-)?
estokes chapter 78 . 4/3/2012
Just finished rereading and what can I say, it's even better than I remembered, and I remembered it being really good.
trixt chapter 78 . 3/29/2012
The thing that looks most unrealistic in this battle: all three armies were split in half, and each half met the other army's single half! Not encountered situation "one VS two", not lost until the final survivor got them, not lost at all. They had broom support, but if they get info about enemy split, what sense to split themselves?

Am I missing something?
Larry Huss chapter 78 . 3/28/2012
Long, rich and solid chapter. And man, do you know how to throw in a cliff-hanger!

rys Larry Huss
Ozma chapter 78 . 3/28/2012
By the way: there's a huge difference between solid green goggles, which block all red and blue light, and simply greenish goggles, which block only some of it. Somebody who'd only heard the call for "green" glasses, and hadn't gotten the lecture on wavelengths, colors, and the logarithmic nature of human perception of intensity, would have to be lucky to get it right. I'd expect that at least 4-6 of Dragon's 11 would not, thus putting Dragon (5-7 attacking 8) at best at a slight advantage over Chaos (8 attacking 11, assuming those blinded can at least pretend to be in the battle enough to serve as distractor targets). I for one would appreciate a clause that succinctly expresses this fact, and reminds us again that even a really good idea can fail without careful execution.
outofculture chapter 78 . 3/22/2012
The pacing and imagery of this chapter were excellent; I couldn't stop reading once I started. Well done.
CaptainPumpkinPie chapter 78 . 3/21/2012
Yes, you can't exhaust your magic by making a potion, and no, it can't be Finite'd, but didn't it occur to Harry that since a potion is tangible, it can be Summoned, Vanished, etc.? That seems like something he'd notice and prepare for accordingly. Odd.
skywiseskychan chapter 78 . 3/19/2012
Now I see why you put the next update date in the header. That was kind of you. It was also an excellent stopping point. I am curious to see just where this is going. If she beat him badly in the duel, didn't believe him and assaulted him beforehand, ambushed him after, or if his father had something to do with it to save face.
Eli Courtwright chapter 78 . 3/18/2012
Lots of great stuff in this chapter, but I absolutely LOVED the fleshing out how potions work. That sort of thing is what made me fall in love with this fic to begin with. I've gotten several of my friends interested in this fic by explaining stuff about broomsticks and Aristotelian physics and now potions and conservation principles, etc. Keep it up, this chapter was totally worth the wait!
Erroll chapter 78 . 3/17/2012
Glad you're back - worth the wait!
Runecutter chapter 78 . 3/17/2012
What a comeback!

I just absolutely love and adore your analysis of potion making and the hmmm "mechanics" or rules behind it. (and the idea of Flitwick losing his calm demeanor about a first year student trying to inventing new potions is not bad also :D) and the result Harry comes to by rational deduction.

I guess this will prepare him to have a better look at the core principles of other stuff and to discover that there are also similarities to muggle physical rules like here with the slightly bent principle of preservation...

The battle was epic even if it was partially disappointing in that Harry's carefully thought out plan did NOT succeed because of the changes he was forced to make to his army, (not so much when Neville lost because the last Longbottom had the odds really against him with two simoultanous fights of opposite nature at the same time going on, it was a slight bit sad that he was overpowered but not really unexpected as with the sunshine essence)

And of course the duel Granger versus Malfoy was the absolute unchallenged highlight of the chapter, regardless of the outcome, when Granger had gone down it would still have been a triumph of first generation witches against pureblood cheating... I think i should have reread the last chapters before starting this one so i would have understood her anger, but it's still impressive when you've got no notion of what motivated her...

okay... i think i got your message about the battles... it's not really about winning, even if the winner earns some recognition, fame and maybe brownie points with the proud Teachermort... but it's at least as much about being uncalculatable, innovative, improvising (or should i say "macgyvering"?) and not the least... growing with your challenges. Yes. Draco has shown that he can prepare his team to win in a not truly balanced battle but even he is overwhelmed by sudden unexpected developments like the duel with Hermione... and so he lost.

What i don't understand is why he then went on and did the most asinine thing, falling back into pureblood customs and defend his "honor" by intriguing and living out the need to humiliate a supposedly inferior witch just because she won ONE battle? That's not very rational, i think Harry would be very disappointed in this backward behavioral lapse.

Which does bring us to the bomb at the end... Hermione almost killed Draco?

I could understand him losing a duel, power is not everything and creative learning habits and superor dedicatio on self-improvement might give her an edge even about his longer training experience and nastier spell library. But she was challenged to a duel, shouldn't that protect her legally? I mean of course is there a lot of bias in the wizarding world and Hermione would probably not have good chances if SHE had issued the challenge, but to punish the winner in a duel he was forced to take part in or lose his honor, maybe even land before a wizarding court when not taking part? That's not the kind of tradition i could see the purebloods openly admitting to needing against being bested by "inferiors". well i suppose we will see in the next chapter (which to my now very great relief already is up on the site! :D)
Other chapter 78 . 3/17/2012
Worth it. Absolutely worth the wait.

AAAAHHHHHHH!
Zargon chapter 78 . 3/17/2012
Given Harry's newfound potions principle, I wonder if he'll realize at some future point, when he's not quite so distracted, that if he were to learn how to produce original potions, he'd be able to effectively produce nuclear weapons since he knows where all elements heavier than iron come from...

I don't know the specifics of it, so I don't know if such a thing would be comparable in energy to modern nuclear weapons or many orders of magnitude greater, and I also can't imagine Harry ever ever ever releasing such a thing upon the world, but it was just one of those interesting thoughts that popped into my head.
braindoll3 chapter 78 . 3/17/2012
Looking back at Hermione's behavior at breakfast here, it ostentatiously chipper, a giant flashing sign that something is strange. The problem is that when I first read it, I expected something strange to have happened at the duel, but of course not what actually happened. So I imagined any number of extremely vague scenarios which could explain things, until I was satisfied that I had "explained" Hermione's behavior; and then I removed the "clue" flag from my mental model of her behavior, and read on.

Then, days later, we got chapter 79, and found that Draco won, Hermione stunned him, someone blood-chilled him, and Quirrel had "coincidentally" cast exactly the kind of alarm on him to detect this unusual form of murder; and that Hermione remembers herself being responsible. These circumstances are nothing like the vague scenarios I had imagined. But it was not easy for me to go back and consider Hermione's behavior in this fresh light.

What I'm saying is, it is not easy for the reader if you give them clues to a mystery before they have the corpus delicto. There's a reason that the classic murder mystery gives us the body in chapter 1; switching mysteries is hard. I mean, when we first see her strange behavior, we're trying to read it as a clue to what happened to Draco; so when we learn what (though not who), it's hard to realize that it's actually a clue to what Hermione thinks about what happened to Draco. And the first reflex, as you can see in my earlier reviews, is to re-evaluate it not as a clue, but as bad characterization. When I thought that the characters in chapter 79 were right, that Hermione believed that she'd murdered Draco on her own initiative, I felt that her cavalier attitude was unpardonable violence to her heroic, ethical character.

But say that it is a Clue, and not just bad characterization. (I think that that's justified, because she's very clearly acting strangely, and there's no question that it's deliberate by the author.) What does it mean, now that we have the corpus delicto?

My first thought was that "Hermione" in this scene was actually someone else. Of course, the prime suspect would be Quirrel, or perhaps Quirrel polyjuiced into Harry to convince Bellatrix to polyjuice into Hermione or something. (Because we basically know that HC is Quirrel by now; and we basically know that Quirrel set up the events at the midnight duel, because otherwise his discovering Draco just in time to save him is way too coincidental.) But I really don't think that's it. It would mean either that Q found some way to switch Hermione back, or that the whole trial was going to proceed with false H. while Q is awesome, either one of those would mean he had to overpower the entire enforcement system of magical Britain, and given that there are at least two badass Aurors (Moody and Bones), it would be foolish of him to be confident that such a plan would not run into unexpected hitches.

So, it's Hermione. And if Hermione thought that she duelled alone and killed Draco, she would NEVER act like that, no matter how many imperiuses and obliviates she was under. (If I didn't trust the author as much as I do, I'd doubt that more; in fact, if this were the average story, a character violating their very nature would be by far the more probable hypothesis, so it takes a lot of trust for me to suppress my reflex anger when that seems to have happened.) So the next hypothesis is that Hermione suspects something, but is playing her own game. That is, she's a PC pretending to be an NPC.

If that is true, it is AWESOME. However, there is certainly evidence against it, too. Despite both veritaserum and legilimency, we have no hints that she's Up To Something. And she's not an occulemens. Still, while unlike Harry or Quirrel or some other occulemens, she can't construct a falsehood to present under v-serum or legilimency, I think it's plausible that she could hide a key fact.

Is there anything else that would make her breakfast behavior OK? Well... not really. Again, if she actually believes she just killed someone and doesn't suspect some deeper plot, I seriously don't care how many imperiuses and obliviates she's under, "chipper" is just not the right vibe.
braindoll2 chapter 78 . 3/16/2012
Is that even really Hermione at the end there? When I first read this, I thought that she was being strangely chipper for some good reason. But now that we "know" that she remembers killing someone last night, this is just way, way, way wrong.

But if it's polyjuiced or metamorphed someone-else, that's very strange. The aurors, whom we have no reason to suspect, would have to have somehow allowed her to be switched for the real Hermione (suitably memory-edited) after they caught her. And that's a huge stretch, almost as much as Hermione really acting this way.
Zargon chapter 78 . 3/16/2012
And working backwards, I suppose I'll just add my opinion that the discovery of the potions principle was good. Not ridiculously awesome, but it fit perfectly fine.

Also, the self-actualization arc works for me, because while it was a drop in the intensity of the story, it was very good, if nothing else, to drive home Draco's progress. The biggest long-term question for me is how badly Draco is going to get worked, which will determine if he gets permanently turned from the light. But Harry's influence is over an extended time, so wiping all that out seems like it would be costly and still not lead to a perfect solution. Draco will wonder where those months went, though he might not remember that attacking that question scientifically might be a good idea.

Since I forgot to last time, I figured I'd add a wild-ass guess:

Hermione is headed to Azkaban, and that'll prompt Harry to burn the whole place to the ground, one way or another.
Tangshou chapter 78 . 3/16/2012
I want to address a couple of things you said in your AN for Ch 79. One is about writing the work-in-work-out. I liked that part. In fact the scientific analysis of magic is one of the best parts of this story. I loved the story from the first chapter, and was pleasantly surprised that it actually became a long and wonderful story with a great plot, suspense, and action.

About your "How do I know the haters aren't just quiet?" question. Why not look back (maybe in your memory) at the reviews and see if people posted negative comments. Did they only post them when saying "...so I won't be reading this fic anymore" or are they dedicated readers who are posting constructive criticism? I think you'll find that plenty of people speak up about things they don't like, though I would bet a higher percentage of likers write reviews than haters.

There was one thing I didn't understand about the sun potion though. Do you mean that that potion contained no magical ingredients? It was just using magic to reorganize non-magical energy instead of magical energy like a in normal potion? The first time I read it I thought you were implying the sunlight was magical.

About Self-Actualization. I felt everything was going really well with the story. Then I think you had a rush of feminist energy and started SPHEW, which I'm guessing you had not planned to do. Those chapters around 70-71 where great. Really energetic and fun to read. It felt like you had a lot of fun writing them. But it seemed you didn't really want to follow through. You started something that you couldn't just drop, but you didn't really want to spend that much time on it either. That's the time when your writing seemed to get less fun for you, and you stopped writing soon after that. The whole SA arc worked out fine in the end though.

I recommend you worry a lot less about whether readers will like it.
Curly chapter 78 . 3/15/2012
'My brain seems to be refusing to update and is generating phrases like “But maybe everyone who hated it just isn’t saying anything,”'

Not everyone who liked it posted a review either. The potions sequence was my favorite part of the chapter and I went back to it several times. The vicarious thrill of discovery comes through strongly; the reader shares the 'Aha!' moment with Harry. This is the only way the rest of us can know what it feels like to have a scientific insight. Please don't stop writing them.
Fishnet Tights chapter 78 . 3/15/2012
An excellent, long-awaited chapter. The action scenes were enthralling, although I found that the cuts to the audiences reactions were a little bit long, and I could not tear my eyes away. Sitting in Australia waiting for Pacific time to catch up to me, 30 mins! Huge fan of you work, love what you have created and how complex this is. Keep writing.

Your loyal fan, Fishnet Tights
NothingPretentious chapter 78 . 3/15/2012
Excellent and compelling as always. Thanks for writing.
One Brain chapter 78 . 3/15/2012
This might be the best fanfic ever written. I found it this past summer and burned through the whole thing as fast as I could, which I immediately regretted due to your long absence. But now you're writing again and it's awesome! Thank you so, so much. Can't wait for chapter 29 _
Rationally Procrastinative chapter 78 . 3/15/2012
I am going to guess at some of the things this chapter implies. Right now, I want to post before the update so that I can realistically evaluate my guesstimate skills for this story arc without the benefit of hindsight. I will post thoughts on the preceding chapters later.

[1] Hermione still hasn't figured out she cannot trust Cloak-and-Hat (C&H). Confidence Level: High - Hermione is still acting as if she believes the statements the readers know C&H made.

[1a] Hermione still hasn't figured out she has been obliviated. Confidence Level: High * High - She would trust C&H much less if that were the case, see [1].

[2] Neville will end up in a three-way relationship with Daphne and Hannah. Confidence Level: Low - We know from previous conversations within SPHEW that both girls are interested in him. Now, the two girls partnered to fight him, and all three have good reason to talk further based on their encounter in this chapter. However, many other possibilities exist and the evidence for this one is marginal.

[3] This story arc will show Draco's transition to heroic status. By that I mean that Draco will, at the end, go against his father on something important and be willing to do so again in the future. Confidence Level: Moderate - Draco may already be a hero based on his previous actions towards Hermione and his realization that his actions were breaking from his father's beliefs. However, there is a difference between doing so well away from his father's control and doing so with his father (and other Death Eaters) interfering directly. Also, the two previous long arcs were for Harry's transition (Stanford Prison Experiment arc) and Hermione's (Self Actualization arc). There are many more points both for and against this interpretation but I will not enumerate them here.

[4] Draco did not initiate the attempted murder charge - Lucius did. Confidence Level: High - Draco had already planned even past his loss on the midnight duel without attempting to jail/ruin Hermione. Politically, Lucius has to ruin Hermione or lose huge amounts of influence.

[5] The midnight duel happened and Hermione won. Confidence Level: Moderate - The story is very careful to give no definitive evidence either way so far. Since that event occurred almost at the end of the chapter, this guess is based mostly off of estimations of characters. Again, there are many possible points both for and against this interpretation. Basically, this is a gut feeling. One strong alternative is that Hermione did not show up for the duel and her reaction to the Aurors is based on a belief that they are coming to deliver on Draco's promise to have her in front of the Wizengamot.

[5a] If the duel happened, one or both of the duelists were obliviated afterward. Confidence Level: Moderate * Moderate (dual happened) - There are several characters with reason and possible motivation to do so but the driving necessity for such an action is not immediately obvious. C&H has potential reasons to obliviate either or both Draco and Hermione. Luscius has potential reasons to obliviate either or both Draco and Hermione (see Draco's explanation of how he could get away with rape in an earlier chapter). Quirrell might do so to protect either or both children, who he sees as allies of Harry. Other possibilities exist.

[5b] If the duel happened, someone interfered in the duel, or, at a minimum, watched it. Confidence Level: Moderate * Moderate (dual happened) - There are many characters who might have known or predicted the duel and have reasons to interfere. Snape spies on Hermione and other students. Snape, Luscius, and Quirrell have reasons to interfere, could have predicted Draco's intent to duel, and could have found out the time by various means. Dumbledore clearly predicted that trouble was coming and could have moved to block it. However, for all of these characters, interfering also carries significant risk and the driving necessity for such action is not clear.
Thomas chapter 78 . 3/15/2012
Kind of a cliffhanger? Dastardly asshole. I'll have you know your updating is going to make a mess of three separate deadlines of mine this week, let alone the damage it will inflict upon the weeks afterwards. It is kind of difficult not to hate you for making me feel okay with that, but upon examining my personal reality I think I have to settle with it :/ Doesn't mean you're not my C2H5 or anything flattering like that, oh no. But keep on doing what you're doing; it does kind of help piercing that what we have to read that which is untrue at that same time. And reluctantly, regards, for I can't stop being a fan.
Work Designer chapter 78 . 3/15/2012
Awesomely beautiful update. I almost forgot the determination Hermione had in her in the beginning of the SA sequence of not being second to Draco. Thanks for reminding us of that! Plus the additional rage of SPHEW being dismantled. That has made her pretty angry.

I'm scared of what might happen to Hermione. I don't want her wand broken. Harry would have to dig up all the secrets of Atlantis to make a wand-less magician equal to one with a wand. Hmm.. that could be a factor to accelerate Harry's research, but it would make the primary unambiguously good character very weak in the meanwhile. It would totally remove her as a contender.
anotherone chapter 78 . 3/15/2012
I'm an atheist. My best friend is currently embroiled in a bully-off where the bully's are "men of god." They believe firmly that what they're doing is the 'will of god'. I'm so glad I've read this fic- Quirrel's views on democracy, the ability to not make up things when you don't know what they are, the good that we have left to live for even in the absence of a created divine being- all this makes me feel intensely privileged. I'm saying things like 'with the EXPERIMENTAL METHOD, not rationalisation.' You've shared the light, Elezar Yudkowsky, and I am grateful.
my soul for neville chapter 78 . 3/15/2012
Ah this story is so wonderful. Thank you for continuing to work on it: its well worth the wait between installments. I'm really excited to find out what you have to say about taboo tradeoffs.

I love all of the rationality stuff that I learn about when reading this story. I also love the way that its not just a handful of characters that are really cool - Harry and a supporting cast. Its so fantastic the way that Neville and Hannah and the others are learning things too and becoming awesome. Whenever I read this story a voice in my head goes, "well? so what are you going to do then?"

One of the things people used to say about JK Rowling was that her genius was to get people reading who wouldn't be otherwise. Your genius seems to be to get people thinking. Thank you again.
scorpioneldar chapter 78 . 3/15/2012
WHAT!

that is all i can say to this glad i waited to readit i expect awnsers in 3 hours ... it is 4 am isn't it damm
Batmankind chapter 78 . 3/14/2012
I laughed at this part:

"Granger whirling, spinning, sweat-dampened hair flying around her, bolts flying from her wand as fast as his own, jinx and counter-jinx, glowing bats flying at his face, and through all of it the look of fury in Granger's eyes - "

Ain't that the spell she and Harry were using to test the strictness of spellcasting incantations spellcaster knowledge, way back in the early part of the school year? I can't believe she used it as a combat hex XD
Artur Hawkwing1 chapter 78 . 3/14/2012
We even have apps for this story? talk about making prime time! and we aren't even in second year yet! Looking forward to more. :)
Johnay chapter 78 . 3/14/2012
Hmmm... so the potential magical energy in a potion ingredient is the integral of the past energy flux through it. And said energy comes out in the same form it went in. Yeah, that's sounding like all magic is time-travel-based and/or accesses the "records" of objects in the "computer" simulating this universe. It'll be fun seeing if that's what you have in mind.

Another thought: you have SO got to arrange with Rowling to get this made into movies or even a direct-to-video mini-series, maybe with all the profits going to a mutually agreed on set of charities/research trusts/scholarships/etc. You really must try, if for no other reason than to see Neville's landing realized on film. (Would be cool if the original actors could do it. Too bad that wouldn't be an option.) Not sure how to handle the scientific narrative asides, but I'm sure it could be done, even if only in a companion book.

Thanks for such a great ride!
eSemmel chapter 78 . 3/14/2012
Great show as always. I have one nagging little thought though. How come Draco is allowed to lock transfigured gloves of all things to the hands of his soldiers when you've already established the specific safety lessons of transfiguration in excrutiating detail? Any casters that fall unconscious might seriously harm themselves depending on how the glove decides to remap into a leaf.
aaa chapter 78 . 3/14/2012
great to see the chapters coming again!
Trent chapter 78 . 3/14/2012
I hoped each evening around 9PM CST that a new chapter would appear in my RSS reader. I wasn't vocal about it, but I really wanted to see you throw a new chapter up, especially given you had several chapters ready.

I see now why you delayed. With the cliffhanger being Hermione getting arrested, Draco possibly incapacitated, and Quirrell absent for unknown reasons... There's going to be some pretty interesting stuff going down, and so the time taken to get the setup just right pays some big dividends.

All of which is to say: your instincts on when to publish are quite good, and I'm sorry for privately doubting you.

Apart from the obvious stuff that others have commented on, I was struck by how Zabini is really not such a good tactician without someone very talented helping him... Perhaps he's very good at executing plans handed to him, but hopeless at coming up with or adapting plans?
jdboss1 chapter 78 . 3/14/2012
O fck the ending made be fell ill o god

going need the new updats soon

out of ever ending i have read i a long time this was the

you better save Hermione Fast
An UnConcerned Citizen chapter 78 . 3/14/2012
You just had to end it there didn't you. Damn you're good.
Unformal Sorrelle chapter 78 . 3/14/2012
I finally finished rereading this and just got to the end if chapter 78 and have to say... WHAT! Hermione's getting accused of attempted murder? Draco must/may have been hurt? Ahh! I need the next chapter now!

Other that my "ahhhh!" from the cliffhanger I enjoyed the battle very much and um, I don't know... This is a very cool story because its intellegent, the characters woto well together, the plot is drawing and compelling, and the writing style is wonderful. This fic really is a symphony of a story where everything combines in harmony.
Mazken chapter 78 . 3/13/2012

BWAH HAH HAH HAH HAH HAH HAH

Loved the ending.
TheallknowingandUnseen chapter 78 . 3/13/2012
Woot! Thanks for the update and chapter postage! Wonderful read and loved the parents reactions! Had quite a few giggle fits while reading this. Crazy cliffhanger, luckily the wait isn't too long.

"...They have learned that to survive they must follow orders. Some have even learned a little creativity. Oh, no, Lord Greengrass, these wizards will not hide in their manors and wait to be protected, when the next threat comes. They will know that they know how to fight."

Oh gosh just WHAT is professor Quirrell planning?

I am more than a little concerned with Hermione's fate, not sure if Harry can pull her out of this one.

Awesome work!
Sam chapter 78 . 3/13/2012
Brilliant, brilliant, brilliant. I enjoy this story and these characters more than I would enjoy baby manatees giving me a back massage while sirens crooned in my direction.
Poet chapter 78 . 3/13/2012

A fresh-fallen leaf

flawless clockwork of diamond

would Spring come again!
Kist chapter 78 . 3/13/2012
Wow! What a chapter! I can't wait for the next update!
Multipartite chapter 78 . 3/13/2012
Potion-relevant parameter-setting (prompting thoughts about the Spirit of Magic having observation access to all or nearly-all time prior): particularly enjoyable.

Most parts: Wonderfully enjoyable.

Near-mind-control parts: Definitely enjoyable in terms of exploitation of available abilities, gut-churning in terms of seeming-unbeatableness. I look forward to learning either a satisfying way it can be overcome or a satisfying reason for why it won't/doesn't need to be overcome!

(I find myself casting my mind back to Code Geass, and how easily most of the restraints could have been overcome through sufficiently specific (or rather sufficiently general) wording... granted, for Death Note by contrast the consequences of the rules and the motivations hung together much more tightly. -Though now I start wondering about whether it was ever explained why, once L's location was known, Kira didn't just have someone take the whole building out Emiya Kiritugu -style... hmm.)
bookie chapter 78 . 3/13/2012
anon You, my good sir or madam, have issues. "Ignorant simpleton" redundant much? And to be frank, who memorized the 6 quarks for every era in the past 20 years? Besides u and less which I can respect but there is no reason to chew someone out for not knowing that.

Now, on another note, this story repeated knocks me out with every chapter due its sheer brilliance. I can't really phrase ot any other way.
anon chapter 78 . 3/13/2012
BakaFireKitsuneSama: Ignorant simpleton!

Are you unaware that at the time this story is set those were the proper names for the quarks?
Kutta chapter 78 . 3/13/2012
At last! Fine chapter.
covaithe chapter 78 . 3/13/2012
Another fine installment. Glad to see you're back, and in fine form.
Mr Stereo1 chapter 78 . 3/13/2012
'Yes, this story is still alive and I still plan to finish it, but many future installments may arrive in the form of novellas with a wait of some months between them, rather than chapters you get on a weekly basis. This is still faster than a lot of professional authors put out books, please remember.'

George RR Martin.

*Goes off to read the actual chapter*
nased0 chapter 78 . 3/13/2012
That was an awesome battle! To use concentrated solar energy from acorns as WMD :)

And poor Hermione, obviously Draco is a sore looser, hopefully she didn't hurt him.

IMHO revealing this duel contract is a lesser evil, if Draco protests, it can even be turned against him!

And Wizengamot has better things to do than delve into kids scuffles.
auPHE chapter 78 . 3/13/2012
You've ruined me on Harry Potter fanfiction. :C

And I mean that in the best way possible.
Sage of Wind Dragons chapter 78 . 3/13/2012
and the plot thickens, is this what finally pushes your trio (never call them golden) to become a trio?

and a intresting idea about the potions for harry shame it didnt work out really.

even if his asumtions about people are a bit flawed

the whole thing about a cat girl? and you should only have knowledge if you do the test for yourself?

dear harry THATS WHY WE HAVE SCHOOLS YA TWIT!

but oh this is awesome! Hermione is gudied down a dark path by what i think is the grey lady Draco did something that was not parrell with his fathers plaining (really the do the impressive stomp out and we dont think hes plaining something?)

love how smart our dear voldamort is being I got to wonder who the hell did he learn it from though because while yours is a smarter fellow I still dont know why. or why he aparently only had 50 (known death eaters) when the graveyard scene alone could be easily a bit more than that and thats just those who stayed faithfull.

do you think harry will relise for all of his airs he IS still a child and he is overestimating what he can do? hoenstly he did that whole talk of how Quirll was doing a thing after azkaban that would eventually allow our dear professor to own him.

and black. I love how you showed while harry is a gifted young fellow , who has been given the tools he needs to win is still painfully a child. that story our dear master manipulater is doing while tragic, didnt take away the fact that SHE STILL DID IT! and she was locked up. was never going to turn back from what she turned into at best just a more healed evil chick capeable of being a follower again.

honestly laws our made for the society as a wholes benifit not just the one special person. Harry has a horrible track record with stay out of wha isint his affairs dosent he? but that is what our anit hero / sociopath is meant to do.

and is it possible that someone other than harry and draco get some power in this? cause im fealing the girl power in this witch is great! but its not really an equil amount of those your useing as minor charecters of some importance

could the sixth of seven children (the most poweful of magic numbers 7) the unluky child of a nobel house have something happen? cause you have very few nobel houses that are light involved. most are the snakes and longbottom whos aunt is a well intentioned extremist.

or perhaps our dear neutral slythirin could be taken into the the thicker and thicker fold.

love your writing, your charecter have what few do witch feels like Life! A wonderfull story and your dedication to one story and one story only on here its inspiring really.

good luck on your non profit thing
Riverview chapter 78 . 3/13/2012
Very exciting chapter!

A lot of people seem to think that the inflated attempt on Draco's life happened during the duel, but I think that it was just the fight during the battle. My interpretation is that Lucius saw the battle, saw his son lose and decided to take down Hermione himself by implying that her aggression against Draco was an attempt on his life. At this point he is doing what was foreshadowed in the talk between Harry and Lucius in the train station; he abandons the game to put all his political capital into protecting his son.

Meanwhile the two kids meet for their duel and either Hermione wins (which is why Draco is hiding in his room in shame), or they come to another understanding, Draco learns of his father's plan and while Hermione is being arrested, he is trying to convince his father to let him handle his own problems.

Either way, I can't wait until Thursday to find out!
Scipio chapter 78 . 3/13/2012
I'm guessing that someone ran into fluffy, looks like MacNair will be beheading a magical beasts two years ahead of time.
anon chapter 78 . 3/13/2012
I'm curious, as to what "discoveries" that are being left for Harry's 2nd-5th years
xallanthia chapter 78 . 3/13/2012
"Later, looking backward, Harry would think of how, in his SF and fantasy novels, people always made their big, important choices for big, important reasons. Hari Seldon had built his Foundation to rebuild the ashes of the Galactic Empire, rather than because he would look more important if he could be in charge of his own research group. Raistlin Majere had severed ties with his brother because he wanted to become a god, not because he was incompetent at personal relationships and unwilling to take advice on how to do better. Frodo Baggins had taken the Ring because he was a hero who wanted to save Middle-Earth, not because it would've been too awkward not to. If anyone ever wrote a true history of the world - not that anyone ever could or would - probably 97% of all the key moments of Fate would turn out to be constructed of lies and tissue paper and trivial little thoughts that somebody could've just as easily thought differently."

This paragraph made me laugh and laugh because of how idealistically Harry sees these characters! Sure, Hari Seldon created the Foundation to rebuild the Galactic Empire, victory of order over chaos and all that-but he's also a pompous, self-impressed man with a flair for the dramatic: it was not sufficient to found the Foundation, he wanted to *be remembered* as having founded it. Why else give dramatic video announcements at every major event? Raistlin didn't have to choose between godhood and Caramon; rejecting your past isn't necessary to become a deity in Krynn. Caramon turns out to be a strong ally and stronger opponent; what might not Raislin have achieved with his wholehearted aid? Frodo he gets the closest: Frodo is a hero. But he also feels trapped by circumstances: who else can go?
Shrlck chapter 78 . 3/13/2012
I really wanted to read about that duel. Nice chapter.
Anonymous chapter 78 . 3/13/2012
So extraordinarily happy that we finally get another chapter! I love HPMOR. Waiting in suspense for the next (nice cliffhanger, by the way). Keep up the good work!

Love from Switzerland
irdgad chapter 78 . 3/13/2012
Thanks for the birthday present. :-)

Great chapter. Looking forward to the next one.
Elf Knight chapter 78 . 3/13/2012
!

Okay.

*takes a deep breath and calms down*

WHAT THE HECK DO YOU THINK YOU ARE DOING WITH AN EVIL, EVIL CLIFF-HANGER LIKE THAT?

ARG!

That was almost worse than the Lord of the Rings cliff-hangers at the end of the movies!

Still, the chapter was awesome though and I loved the battle. Hermione is my second favorite character right up there next to Harry Potter, so I'm glad she was more powerful than Draco.

*counts to ten and lets out breath*

Okay about that!

What the heck is Dodo, sorry Draco, doing?

I didn't mind him up until this point but now I want to spill his guts out! I know he's a little boy but he is such a sore loser that it makes wanna punch someone.

I really hope Harry will come to her rescue and maybe have to protect her with a Marriage Contract or something? Whatever the case, I cannot believe you'll let Hermione die.

Never! *raises fist in the air defiantly*

lol, Okay enough nerdiness!

The chapter was swell though and I am thrilled that you are back on the job of writing this fantastic epic! It is nearly better than the original thing and certainly a refreshing change from the status-quo.

It is heaps better than other fanfics that try to make Harry nerdy or a scientific genius. They will never match up to this fanfic...unless Hermione dies.

*sulks*

Please don't let her die!

And have Harry come to her rescue.

Okay, I gotta go now but please keep this up and I will definitely be waiting and watching for the release date you specified.

Keep up the awesomely epic work! ;)
Matilda Black chapter 78 . 3/13/2012
Oh wow...
Philosophical CAT chapter 78 . 3/13/2012
Just adding a story alert, don't mind me... .
T-TrainOrTurkeyT chapter 78 . 3/12/2012
What? Under arrest? She can't be under arrest! How could she have "attempted murder" to Draco? I think I'm missing something here. I hope Lucius isn't just plotting and being a butthead! Looking forward to the update!
The Sarcastic Waffle chapter 78 . 3/12/2012
Thanks for including a date for your next chapter! It's a lot easier to wait for the next installment knowing that there will be one, and that it'll come so soon!

Hermione is so annoying, though. She's really just a wannabe, morally righteous version of Harry Potter. I feel really bad for Draco; can't you just let him have the victory for once?
Selina Novella chapter 78 . 3/12/2012
Wow, I know Lucius is over protective, but doesn't he see that his actions are emasculating his son? Giving the impression that he can't fight his own battles against one muggleborn girl? That his father has to call in the MINISTRY just to save face? Foolish man... Poor Draco. I know Harry can get Hermione out of this, so it just leaves Draco looking like an idiot.
dysgraphic programmer chapter 78 . 3/12/2012
NOOO! More! Must have More! Write More Now! PLEEEEEEAAASE!

Look what you have reduced a grown-ass man to. hangs head in shame

Look around to confirm room is empty.

Fanboy SQEEEEE!
Jiraya K chapter 78 . 3/12/2012
Yipee! A new update! *lunges forward and stumbles into the cliffhanger* .

Love it and resent it. Every chapter is wonderfully long and satisfying/titillating but I wish I had enough restraint to wait for you to post the full arc instead of stumbling upon dreadful cliffies. '

Everything about this story is love/hate imo (characters, relationships, plotting, etc.)

I want MoR!
Jiraya K chapter 78 . 3/12/2012
Yipee! A new update! *lunges forward and stumbles into the cliffhanger* .

I want MoR!
Nitpicker chapter 78 . 3/12/2012
You posted! You posted!

...

"Certainly the good Lord Malfoy would not have openly flaunted the underage magic laws by arranging for his son to receive a wand before his acceptance into Hogwarts."

flaunted should be flouted.

"well rounded?" Well ... no.
Captain Death chapter 78 . 3/12/2012
Welcome back! Very well done!
Aaron Lowe chapter 78 . 3/12/2012
I guess what I love most about this story is I don't know what's going to happen next, and not because of some hidden info or overtly contrived plot. It's uncommon food for the mind that leaves me feeling a little uplifted.
Swamp Adder chapter 78 . 3/12/2012
Brilliant.
Duquette7 chapter 78 . 3/12/2012
ARGGGGGGG!... sigh, ok I'm better now, thanks for the update.
Fenrir666 chapter 78 . 3/12/2012
Oh, screw you!

Just kidding. Actually, that cliff hanger was a work of *beauty*. I wish I could pull them off like that, but I never feel that I can get them just right. I'm glad to see this story resumed, and can't wait to read the next chapter.
trix chapter 78 . 3/12/2012
Nice chapter but missing the explanation about stirring patterns discovery: the most fundamental potions law is clearly not enough to make specific potion.

Battle scene is exciting though I did expect a false dark ritual started upon Nevill's landing. 8))

Part about "true story of the world" vs "fiction reasons" is very bitter and frank so I bow to your relationships experience. I would say those "lies and tissue paper" are just the fears and the consequences. Mostly small and unimportant so we even don't think we need to fight them.
Mavarax chapter 78 . 3/12/2012
!

CLIFFHANGER!

I really should've waited for the arc to go up before reading this. That said it was still really awesome. One of your most awesome chapters yet I'd say apart from maybe the first few ones.

Is the reason you have a few days gap between updates because you are holding out for donations or something like you did last time or is it just that you feel they should be spaced out for some other reason?
Shubhs chapter 78 . 3/12/2012
Interesting.

I loved the fight scene.

Especially the one in-between the Dragons and the Chaos League.

I loved the strategy they adopted. XD 3
Wednesday1990 chapter 78 . 3/12/2012
What? Oh my, what is this new intrigue?

Well, that last line defintely came out of left field, and I'm a little pissed that I want to read this beast of a story again. I mean, I've got midterms...

But anyway, great as usual. Love the fight scenes, I've got my own soundtrack going through my head when reading about these battles, and it's not the soundtrack to the first Harry Potter movie.

The descriptions were lovely, great imagery, but of course some of the references flew over my head. Ah well, what can you do? I almost wish that Rowling really had taken her own world more seriously, but then I don't think she would have managed to create something quite like this.

Well, great job, can't wait until thursday to find out what happens!

-Wednesday
outlawpoet chapter 78 . 3/12/2012
Good to see this chapter up. Some plotlines coming home to roost in this arc, I see. I like the Greengrasses, I hope they make more appearances.

Appropriate that Harry can't tell when he's not the viewpoint character of the chapter, I wonder if Dumbledore can?

Quirrelmort is really building all this to a fever pitch by his actions, surely Snape must suspect by now. He served Voldemort closely before, saw Dumbledore's side as well. It's reasonable that Dumbledore would not, he's completely dismissed Voldemort as a raving Other, not a patient, polite teaching colleague.

The Daphne/Neville thing continues to build nicely. I only hope this all ends with a supremely awkward formal dinner with all the adults and kids involved trapped in circling metaphor-talk and adult condescension to what they presume is hormonal rivalry/puppylove.

Also, so help me, if this Draco/Hermione thing really happens the way you're threatening, there better be a timeskip or something first, is all I'm saying.
AR chapter 78 . 3/12/2012
YOURE BACK! D

Well hello old friend (yes i know its too familiar)...happy to see you alive and doing what you do best. I refrained from nagging you these painful months but I would just like to say that you are awesome for keeping us updated in between the chapters. It's more than what most people would do.

Now...on to the chapter. Interesting...I wonder how far this will go to unravel Harry's progress in fixing his two friends relationship.

I feel bad for Hermione though...she's not having it so good is she? But then again...she wanted to be the hero.

Cant wait for the next chapter. Great writing...loved that youve read dragonlance D
Uryuu-Nipaa chapter 78 . 3/12/2012
That was unexpected. I guess Hermoine won then.

And I really loved your whole theory about potions. It sounds really cool and really logical
Harrypotterspirit chapter 78 . 3/12/2012
I had forgotten how humorous this story was. The cliff hanger obviously leads me to wonder what Hermione has done to Draco. Probably something humiliating which Draco has translated into an accusation of attemped murder to save face.
Pollyanna's Goatee chapter 78 . 3/12/2012
Awesome update :D

(I surprised myself by working out what the goggles were for before the reveal ;) The first time I think I've been able to predict your writing ;)
burtikus chapter 78 . 3/12/2012
I really really REALLY love this fic. Another awesome chapter. I still do worry that the whole thing will eventually collapse under its own weight (awesomeness is very heavy, I'm told) and be simply impossible to bring to a satisfactory conclusion (e.g. the finale of Lost ... there just WAS no way to end it.) But I am loving it so much as we roll along.

Rereading the last few chapters prior to this one, it seems that Harry has forgotten how to lose again. Or rather, he may still know how to lose for himself, but he doesn't seem to have extended that lesson to other people he cares about. I do wonder if / when he'll realize it.
Incendiarist chapter 78 . 3/12/2012
That was... wow. That was an absolutely brilliant example of common sense being applied to the usage of magic, even if the "common sense" in question is a touch... warped. I bow in admiration of the potion. So much. So very, very much.

Just...

Win. So much win. You win the whole godsbedamn'd internet.
Crazy Iemon chapter 78 . 3/12/2012
Damn you cliff hangers!
anon chapter 78 . 3/12/2012
A terribly evil chapter.

Brilliant of course except that the description of Harry's potion idea went on waaaayyyy too long. It took up almost a tenth of the chapter when it should have been 4-5 paragraphs.
Jai Rose chapter 78 . 3/12/2012
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Holy crap! This is brilliant!
Channitut chapter 78 . 3/12/2012
YES! A NEW CHAPTER! AWESOME! The batle was awesome! The ending was horrible and fantastic. I can't wait for the next chapter. I don't understand anything, but it's fun. Keep up the good work.
LM1991 chapter 78 . 3/12/2012
That was surprising! Didn't see that coming.
Anonymous chapter 78 . 3/12/2012
Oh, you darling, brilliant, wonderful man! Thank you so much for returning and ending this aweful suspense! Thankyouthankyouthankyou!
a-logged-out Runt the Brave chapter 78 . 3/12/2012
Mwuahaha.

Yesyesyes. Arrest Hermione! That's got to be the best part of this chapter; I'm curious as to what Draco's reaction will be, instead of Harry's and Hermione's reactions. Heh. Some fascinating points presented in the chapter. Flitwick's reaction to Harry wanting to create a potion is genius - as is the acorn based potion. Can't wait for the 15th.
hjcallipygian chapter 78 . 3/12/2012
Hahaha, oh I can only imagine the shitstorm of responses to that last sentence.

Great to have you back. Hope all is well with you and yours.
The Dain chapter 78 . 3/12/2012
Well, that went to hell surprisingly quickly. Somewhat disappointed that Hermione did believe at least some of the allegations instead of noticing the trap... oh well. ;)
Malix2 chapter 78 . 3/12/2012
Great to see a new chapter, it's been a while. :) I'll be looking forward to the next installment. :)
TheOneButcher chapter 78 . 3/12/2012
That was magnificient. It was everything HPMoR is about.

But an incredibly evil cliffhanger. Malfoy's "If we know the Chaos Legion's plan involves green goggles, we don't need to know WHY we should have our own." Hilarious...
HwaseungOz chapter 78 . 3/12/2012
Let's see...a midnight duel in the trophy room, and allegations of attempted murder. I think Draco just met Fluffy.
Malcolmina chapter 78 . 3/12/2012
I always figured Aguamenti to collect moisture from the immediate proximity (air, soil etc.) -not creating water of nothingness, but I guess this is rather up for interpretation.

Anyhow, I spend more time reading these chapters of yours than any other fic, as I always seem to end up doing some deep introspective thinking whether that part of the chapter consists of the Quantum theory or simply the machinations of 11-year-old students. I can only envy you for the plot.

Kudos.
xxxxx chapter 78 . 3/12/2012
oops, premature submit. I meant to say, if you edited this part:

"Nearby, Nita Berdine, who had a high Transfiguration score, finished creating yet another pair of green sunglasses, and handed them to Adam Beringer, who folded up the sunglasses before tucking them into his uniform pocket. Other soldiers were already wearing their own green sunglasses, despite the cloudy day."

To this:

"Nearby, Nita Berdine, who had a high Transfiguration score, finished creating yet another pair of green sunglasses, and handed them to Adam Beringer, who folded up the sunglasses before tucking them into his uniform pocket. Other soldiers were already trying on their own green sunglasses, despite the cloudy day."
xxxx chapter 78 . 3/12/2012
The hole in the logic is that initially some chaos soldiers put their goggles on right away, but then later all of them have them in their pockets. I know that if you think about it, you can come up with an explanation: the ones wearing the goggles earlier were just trying them on for fit. But it would probably work better if you edited this part:

Kaz chapter 78 . 3/12/2012
I have been following this story almost religiously, as soon as it gets into my inbox I'm already reading it. Sometimes I get confused and sometimes I like the story a little too much ;), but I've stuck with it. The ending of chapter 78 really surprised me. Alot of stories you can kind of see them build up into that moment and you can tell what was going to happen. Not this time. You're an amazing writer and I cant WAIT for the next chapter. Poor hermoine, stupid draco. ._. KEEP GOING!
Raven3182 chapter 78 . 3/12/2012
Great chapter! I really enjoyed seeing things develop for the battle. The Malfoys are in a tough spot, and apparently so is Hermione. I look forward to seeing Harry figure a way out of things. Thanks for writing!
braindoll chapter 78 . 3/12/2012
"Granger whirling, spinning, sweat-dampened hair flying around her, bolts flying from her wand as fast as his own, jinx and counter-jinx, glowing bats flying at his face, and through all of it the look of fury in Granger's eyes -"

Can't help yourself again? I'm sure you've constructed some rationalization of why it would make sense to use limited magical power to cast Oogely Boogely in a duel, but admit it, it's a tortured one; you just wanted to fit the callback in.

It's OK, we forgive you. Actually, we feel the same way. Who cares if it makes no sense; it's cool. Just like Harry leaving time for the Longbottom/Greengrass/Abbot duel before pulling out his secret weapon.

...

So, the two salient mysteries are, how did things end up between HC and Hermione, and then between Draco and Hermione. Clearly, in the end, Hermione did believe something from HC (somewhat disappointed... I wanted her to notice her fatigue/fear and deduce, but actually it makes sense, as a brain-powered kid she's not particularly attentive to her body). Whatever HC's allegations were, they had to do with Snape and Draco. But more than that – they were enough to actually get Hermione worried. But then, at breakfast, she's perfectly happy, though somewhat distracted.

So whatever happened between her and Draco, it evidently put her worries to rest. I think that's a bigger clue than the "attempted murder".

The other clue is the chapter name. Taboo Tradeoffs Prelude: Cheating. The cheating part is obvious: Hermione cheated. Unlike canon Hermione, this she would not hesitate to do so now that HC has convinced her that something larger is at stake. The Taboo Tradeoffs part is obviously yet-to-come, but it involves somebody offering a "secular" value (money or power) in return for a "sacred" one (honor or life). Not hard to imagine how that could happen once the Wizengamot gets involved, so I'm not sure whether to apply it to the duel.

Final clue is that this is the thick of the plot bunnies, where the author was caught up in too-deep plot recursion. (Very glad that's over, by the way.)

So I doubt I'm going to get this right, but my guess is that Hermione cheated by telling HC about the duel. Perhaps the dueller was actually polyjuiced HC? (I still like to think that resestting HC was Bellatrix, in spite of the Map, since having it just be Quirrel is too boring... but I guess I have to let go of that.)

Hmm... but then again, Draco's memory that "someone" told him a good spot for a duel is suspicious. Also the "forced move", which is of course a guessable move. Makes me wonder if the author was deliberately setting us up for someone to have deduced the duel and location.

So, either way, someone could well have intervened in the secret duel.

As for the attempted murder... it could, of course, just be Lucius in ignorance of the duel, using some trumped-up charges based on some earlier event we've basically ignored. Lucius would know that Draco would not be pleased at the meddling, but would also know that Draco wouldn't have the slightest option of publicly showing his displeasure.

But Lucius is one of the major plotters, and unlikely not to realize that a duel was necessary. He'd realize about the weak Colloportus... wouldn't he be overconfident about Draco's chances in an open duel against a mudblood? I mean, he really believes the blood stuff. And so he wouldn't even foresee the secret practice duel... so why wouldn't he let Draco handle this one?

And now, this morning, Hermione evidently thinks it's satisfactorily resolved. Which makes no sense because if Draco had some Big Reveal which made her turn her suspicions on HC, then she'd be bursting to tell Harry. And if not, why wouldn't she tell Harry about HC's allegations? So I notice I'm confused. What could possibly have put her mind at rest, yet not be tellable to Harry?

So I can't figure out what happened. Makes sense; we're obviously being set up for a courtroom drama arc. And so what happened is going to remain a mystery until at least chapter 82. Which means that the average reader isn't supposed to figure it out despite, not just the clues we have, but also at least three and a half more chapters of clues.

This is going to be a great ride. I'm really looking forward to Harry desperately maneuvering as both Draco and Hermione are clammed up or out of it. Can you get Azkaban for attempted murder at age 11? Seems a bit extreme, even by Wizarding Britain's medieval standards. So Hermione's probably only facing de-wanding and/or expulsion; plenty serious enough to make Harry go deeply dark-side, though. But I'm sure that the author realized that 3 chapters from the point of view of dark-side Harry would be insufferable.

It's almost enough to make me want to read canon enough to understand Wizengamot procedure better. Almost, but not quite; it would be too much of a letdown after this.

Looking forward to seeing how the plot bunnies were tamed!

...

1 to fixing flaunt/flout by the way. Also... there would really be nothing wrong with going back and fixing the "burst into flames" in chapter 5 that another reviewer pointed out. (Personally, I'd be in favor of general fixes of the US/British English issues, too, including the almost-once-a-chapter mistakes of "like" versus "as if".
ELS-Ramay chapter 78 . 3/12/2012
Awesome chapter
Anonymous Reviewer chapter 78 . 3/12/2012
Wow. What a cliffhanger. That was an amazing chapter, and I look forward to seeing where this arc ends up.

I hope your work and life continue to improve and allow you to post more frequently, but the overwhelmingly high quality of your updates makes waiting for them not as much of a hardship as it might otherwise be. Harry's as self-centered as a gyroscope in the chapter's end, which I thought was hilarious. I loved the interaction with the parents of the students. Amelia Bones was particularly awesome in this chapter. Quirrell was awesome but Quirrell is always awesome so that's only to be expected.

Thanks so much for writing this story!
Arkh Cthuul chapter 78 . 3/12/2012
First things first: Yay, update!

Now after the little dance: Strong chapter. Good to see you are still up to your "usual" form.

Especially since future updates (for a time at least) will be more frequent.

Loved Nevilles Landing btw.
scotty90 chapter 78 . 3/12/2012
Epic chapter ending is epic. God i love this fic.
Norven chapter 78 . 3/12/2012
Thank you for continuing the fic! I've lost hope to see it finished) You've raised fanfiction to the level of an art)) Thanks again for letting us have a glimpse into the world that is much more yours than JR's.
Tams chapter 78 . 3/12/2012
Bloody Hell, what a great chapter. We're back on track now.

Cheers
lendary chapter 78 . 3/12/2012
Awesome Awesome Awesome Awesome.

The whole "Conservation of magic through potions" thing is rather huge. Harry could probably do pretty much anything if he used immensly powerfull ingredients, like basilisk teeth or the sorting hat. That'll probably give him A LOT MORE options in future conflicts.
pika318 chapter 78 . 3/12/2012
I loved this three armies fight, probably the most entertaining so far.
Sin of the Fallen chapter 78 . 3/12/2012
Nice cliff hanger!
Nancy Lebovitz chapter 78 . 3/12/2012
Lots of good stuff, and possibly my favorite 3 armies story, not to mention a very evil cliffhanger, which I am not expecting to see completely resolved in the next chapter.

I'm very fond of "I find your lack of skepticism disturbing" and the bit about the hazards of being new at creativity and thus being too fond of any ideas you come up with.

Editing: "Certainly the good Lord Malfoy would not have openly flaunted the underage magic laws ". That should be 'flouted'.
WardenMaiev chapter 78 . 3/12/2012
Okay, so I am probably the 16001th reviewer and very proud (sorry, couldn't stop myself)...
Final-Fan chapter 78 . 3/12/2012
When I was reading the part where Dragon Army took out their copied sunglasses and put them on, I literally thought, "Oh my God, it's World War One." It's possible, I suppose, that it's all somehow a coincidence, but COME ON the analogy to gas and gas masks is just too perfect, and you know they'll all have to keep glasses as standard equipment even though they know the others probably won't use the potion because THEY'll know they all probably have sunglasses anyway but they'll do it anyway (italics) just in case (/) et cetera.

Also: I appreciate your desire to refrain from posting parts of arcs you haven't finished writing (though I can't say it's what I'd prefer), but if you should run into an INDEFINITE (long-term) snag of some kind I would really recommend posting whatever you have at the time. There is a certain story - dead for years now - a sequel to a story I enjoyed greatly, which cuts off in a cliff-hanger (and I do mean a character is hanging off a cliff at the end of the chapter) and I prefer that to there being unposted, finished parts of the story. If others feel differently, and you care, you can warn them. And if, after doing this, you take up the story at a much later date and feel the need for large scale rewriting, that will be fine by me too. (It seemed to me that a desire to avoid this was named in your notes as a motivating factor in your decision on not to post finished parts of unfinished arcs.)
CarlJ chapter 78 . 3/12/2012
Ah, amazing!
sionnachsSkulk chapter 78 . 3/12/2012
Oh my dear sweet belief of a higher power, you are absolute evil to any readers anywhere.

I have just sat through fifteen (interrupted) hours reading this thing, and you end on a cliffhanger.

I HATE YOUUUUUUU!

But I also love you and will have your internet babies for writing this beautiful monstrosity of a fanfiction that might possibly be better than the original.

...I can't believe I just typed that, but it's the truth, and I'm trying not to fall into that particular trap from now on.
badkidoh chapter 78 . 3/12/2012
another great chapter
Snowflake chapter 78 . 3/12/2012
This chapter is a thing of beauty. Not that that's surprising. Oh dear my goodness me, what will happen next?
Elelith chapter 78 . 3/12/2012
EPIC comeback... Wow, this has just become my new favourite chapter of this fic. Thank Goodness you're back, my world needs a bit more rationality in it!
Alexandrel chapter 78 . 3/12/2012
Woo! New chapter! And a promise of even more chapters!

Ok, about the ending of this one: I wonder what Hermione could have done to Draco that qualifies as an attempt to murder? And she didn't exactly *behave* as someone who'd cast a potentially deadly spell on Malfoy and left him unconscious in a closed room. Ok, she did behave oddly, but not *guilty*, just sort of absent-mindedly. My guess is that something important happened between them, something that left her satisfied with the outcome, and that someone else intervened for their own purpose. H&C, Santa Claus, Snape, Quirell, Dumbledore or all of them probably guessed about what was about to happen between Granger and Malfoy and decided to act about it in their own interest in some way that left H accused of attempted murder. Now Harry together with Quirell will come up some twisted plot to find out what happened, blackmail Dumbledore and Snape and find out who H&C and Santa Claus are. But not before Harry has an internal monologue or two about how everything is his responsibility and that he should have prevented it all before it escalated.

And also, why would the Aurors arrest her in front of everybody? What point does that have? (Apart from a dramatic cliffhanger of course :D)

Anyway, great thx to Elizer for writing! When will the rest of the next chapter sequence be posted?
Double-Portion chapter 78 . 3/12/2012
I am incredibly annoyed at this cliff-hanger. Thank you for it.
xan avalon chapter 78 . 3/12/2012
oh. my. This has suddenly perked up the story quite a bit.

ok I retract the word "suddenly." It is three in the effing morning and I am on the edge of my seat trying to conjure a forward-moving Time Turner so as to get to Thursday without further delay.

*taps fingers impatiently.*

HUZZAH! HPatMO is BACK, and with a vengeance. I am overjoyed. and overstimulated. /I kvell.
Debate4life chapter 78 . 3/12/2012
Awesome chapter, as always. I look forward to the next- the reactions after Hermione is arrested should be interesting. Here's hoping that updating happens soon, though I understand if real life doesn't allow it.
Dessel Ordo chapter 78 . 3/12/2012
First: HOORAY UPDATE!

Second: that was plain awesome. Really, really enjoyed the chapter, really glad that there will be weekly updates for some time now, as, excluding this fic now, NONE of my other watch-list/favorite fics have updated for the longest time. As usual, it was a stellar chapter... man it really feels like the storyline should be past first uyear with how much has been happening, haha. Once again, I'm incredibly eager for more.
Zathium chapter 78 . 3/12/2012
Fantastic chapter! Loved the parts on potions and the conservation of energy. Looking forward to the 15th.
Felix chapter 78 . 3/12/2012
Excellent chapter :) Best fanfic battle scene I've ever read and (as you know) better than all the ones in the books. FWIW I got a bit confused when Tracey appeared (as to whose army she was in and for whom she was casting the shield charm). Looking forward to the next update, thank you Eliezer.
Endless Strategy Games chapter 78 . 3/12/2012
This story is tied for best fanfiction ever and is easily in my top 10 books in general. I love this story, few things get me excited or giggling or such lately, but you are rather good at evoking certain emotions. I believe this is your best chapter yet. Even more than a well written story I long for a creative one, and you've delivered just that. How you surmise and connive the old Hogwarts spell into unique strategies is quite admirable. The battle kept me guessing, was surprising, fast paced, and the commentators were a nice touch (I loved when professor Quirrel started laughing).

I must also bring commend you for something all novel length fanfictions should aspire to-utmost utilization of the source material.

The ending was... well, lets just say I'll be looking forward to your next update.

The end
Silver1226 chapter 78 . 3/12/2012
Well that is not right at all, Hermione should physical proof that she was challenged to a duel, in the form of that letter, unless she destroyed it for some silly reason, at which point they should have no grounds. Though I guess that depends on e full story of what took place that night.
grammarian chapter 78 . 3/12/2012
Nice chapter.

I think "Dragon and us each have twenty-eight" should be "We and Dragon each have twenty-eight," unless you wish to have Captain Weasley deliberately misspeak.
bre the Babbitt chapter 78 . 3/12/2012
So wonderfully excited to see an update! Way to go! Horrible Cliffy there. I love this story. now its after 2am so goodnight I'll be third t

Tomorrow and this don't makesense astounds hang c phone
Guest chapter 78 . 3/12/2012
love how Harry learns a new base principle of magic and then puts it to use in a highly unconventional way
Jack Diamond chapter 78 . 3/11/2012
Great as always. Please carry on carrying on!

Thank you.

(Remarkably OK to follow along after only catching up on one chapter, with many months since the last time I've looked... but 2 readthroughs of the entire text... well, what was Entire Text at the times, anyway.)
Elynne chapter 78 . 3/11/2012
I -really- want the next chapter to start with Hermione turning to Harry with one of her condescending little smiles and saying "Honestly, Harry, -everything- isn't -always- about you," and then she lets herself be led away without saying anything else, and then Harry's head explodes. I have to admit that I thought at first, with the setup of the rain and the stuff about Harry's decision not to talk to either of them, that Hermione had -succeeded- in killing Draco.

This was one of the best battle sequences I've ever read. It's difficult for me to remember who all the characters are, but there were enough hints that I was able to place most of the important characters. The explanation of what was happening at what times was so clear and backed up with an extra layer of exposition in the form of the parents watching from the stands, I followed the whole thing.
MariusDarkwolf chapter 78 . 3/11/2012
Evil cliffy. Liked the battle, and thought Harry's potions trick was rather interesting. I'm very curious as to what happened in the duel now and how Harry responds to this.
Ivar Hugo chapter 78 . 3/11/2012
I just wanted to say this was a great chapter, much anticipated. I liked seeing Harry return to magical theorizing, and it was interesting to see how the various armies adapted to new circumstances.

I've pretty much given up on fan-fiction nowadays, but I keep returning to check if this story has updated; I literally half-shouted "yes!" when I saw that it had. It was worth the wait, and however long time it takes for new chapters to be finished I'm sure future updates will continue to entertain, challenge and confound as appropriate.
White Ivy chapter 78 . 3/11/2012
Thank you for updating! I love this story. :)
Does it really matter chapter 78 . 3/11/2012
Well, I have to say I didn't really expect to see this story back again. But, your absence makes quite a bit of sense given what you posted about your new Center For Modern Rationality. It was an interesting read.

Speaking of the Sunk Cost fallacy, I've always found the easiest way to get people to break that mold is by giving them a break. Why, just look at this story. I hadn't read it since you took your break, and coming back now, it's rather painful. During your hiatus I guess I lost that sunk cost I'd built up, because now your writing just seems... tired. I'm taking your advice and considering the future returns, rather than what I'd previously received. And given that, there doesn't seem to be much of a reason to keep reading.

Oh well. It was fun while it lasted. I wish you luck, but I don't think you need it. You could use a better editor though.
bakapervert chapter 78 . 3/11/2012
Thanks for the update.
sam boosalis chapter 78 . 3/11/2012
just turned 21. best birthday present ever.
Sam Apxas chapter 78 . 3/11/2012
Congratulations on 16000 reviews!
tenchifew chapter 78 . 3/11/2012
Extremely glad to see you back and this story continued!

This was a beautiful battle description, masterfully done.

After this battle the adult purebloods are bound to get involved... and I fear they already did. On a related note this is an evil, evil cliffhanger.

Only... if Dumbledore was able to stay Harry's hand regarding Jugson and co as extreme bullying was involved, now when Azkaban is in the odds Harry will do anything in his power to win. This should be interesting. Now it also will be important if Hermione can show Draco's letter without going in Azkaban for that...

It will be three long days.

Thank you for writing.
AlwaysInADream chapter 78 . 3/11/2012
Jesus dick. Attempted murder.

I'm just gonna. Wait for the 15th. Somehow.
Tom Buckner chapter 78 . 3/11/2012
Oh. My.

How can this get any better?

I want to commend LessWrong on his decision to cook his chapters a bit longer; it makes sense to do this. To explain why, let me reference Chapter Five, which steady readers of HPMOR will recall as the hilarious first meeting between Harry and Draco.

In that first meeting each is playing a game of "I'm your biggest fan!" but Harry has already had a taste of what unbridled obtrusive fandom feels like and volleys with the phrase:

"Burst into flames and die."

Now, this is a funny line! BUT... many chapters later we learn how Draco's mother died... and in retrospect, the line feels wrong. Knowing what we do now, it's hard to imagine Harry saying that without derailing their friendship on Day One. This is exactly the sort of thing authors spend months, MONTHS backing up and patching, massaging, rethinking, before they dare release a finished manuscript before readers. It's the difference between good work and true excellence, and whether Eliezer likes it or not, he wandered across the boundary into true excellence a long time ago.

So, that's all the advice I have. The method is good. Give it the time it needs, and be of good cheer.
excelsia chapter 78 . 3/11/2012
waiting for 15th march now! what a cliff-hanger! / thought i guess i shouldn't have expected the duel to have been mentioned so soon, or as to what lucius malfoy nott etc had wanted to do after they saw draco losing to hermione. and well, it was another awesome chapter :) though i didn't like neville going down without taking even a single opponent... though that could be used as a reason to see why chaos didn't win.
jpaulson chapter 78 . 3/11/2012
I now have an answer to "What is your favorite book?" :)It's a pleasure reminiscent of "A Game of Thrones" watching your intelligent characters scheme against each other. I've been very impressed by the character development (usually stories of this type feature static badass characters at the height of their power, but Hermione, Draco, and to a lesser extent Harry all seem to be reshaping their worldviews). I really love following Harry's thought process as he solves the riddles that let him gain power (particularly with regard to the Dementors); your interpretation of Rowling's system makes a good deal of sense. Harry's interpretations of all the studies he cites would be worth a book by itself (as LessWrong attests), but they don't seem (that) forced. The action scenes are great, but the discussions among the characters are my favorite parts (they seem more intellectually meaty);

the political philosophy discussions between Quirrell and Harry and Dumbledore are particularly thought-provoking.

The new arc looks great: looks like Dumbledore had reasons to be cautious. I'm very curious how Harry will do against the Wizengamot. Again, my sincerest thanks for a wonderful novel; it is obvious why this is the most popular Harry Potter fanfic ever.

P.S. Long ago, you mentioned that you were looking for a way to show readers that Quirrell was still Voldemort (perhaps justly; he seems to have undergone a dramatic personality change). I'm sure you've thought of this, but in case not: why not have a paragraph or two from Quirrell's point of view and state it? This is the way we learn about other character's secrets that Harry doesn't know.
Number Six-Sixtysix chapter 78 . 3/11/2012
... Well, now if that isn't isn't going to be able to defend herself without breaking the terms of the agreement - something that she will be taken to court for, no matter her reasons for it. And the court will be, at the very least, prejudiced against her, and at worst, bribed.

And if she is being accused of attempted murder, then he is either pressing the charges, and therefore unlikely to come to her aid, or he is _incapable_ of speaking for himself and explaining the circumstances. I'm not sure which would be worse, there.

However, I must say you're description of the battles is _glorious_. So much so that I almost want to take part in one myself (unfortunately, at the strategic level, I am far to slow to adapt, and at the tactical level, I am far too focused on specific areas to be of any practical use on the field, except as spell-fodder).
RationalGirl chapter 78 . 3/11/2012
FIRST let me say Thank you thank you thank you! Secondly welcome back! Thirdly, Happy happy boom boom swamp swamp swamp!

Ok now that the formalities are over, let me say Well done. I like that all the battle magic training is paying dividends now. I like that the children are thinking on their feet. Harry continues to amaze. Neville continues to be Neville of Awesome, chivalry be damned when it comes to combat (if he was fighting Bellatrix Black, we'd want him to use everything he had, and a Heroically Equal witch wouldn't want him to hold back, I'm sure) I love the development of Draco's feelings for Hermione, his cognitive dissonance, he wants to dislike her, but he likes her and admires her. At the end of the chapter it is good to see that Harry is only human after all and can make mistakes too.
None chapter 78 . 3/11/2012
Another excellent chapter and given past performance I expect the drama will resolve rationally.

Some quick ideas for Hermione's fury:

-she thinks Draco and Snape are trying to turn Harry evil

-she thinks Draco and Snape are behind the bullies attacks

-Black Hat and Cloak did something to her mind / memory

Puzzle bits:

-Prof. Q. has some plot going

-Prof. Q.'s goals are not very clear, but his speech may have shed some light on it and is consistent w/ convo's w/ Harry

-Author went out of his way to 'rationalize' how Harry didn't go talk to Hermione. Not entirely clear that's consistent w/ Harry or Hermione

I'm glad you have decided to let us know that future installments will come in bunches with a fair bit of time between. The e-mail update is also great.
Not-A-Spy chapter 78 . 3/11/2012
The story is as good as I remember it, and does not disappoint. Harry's increasingly clever ideas and mounting disadvantages posed by outside forces remind me strongly of Ender.
TheConsort'sParamour chapter 78 . 3/11/2012
Very nice, the battle was extremely fun to read, and the increasing tension is keeping me very interested. I love the elaboration on the rules of magic.
Entropic Specter chapter 78 . 3/11/2012
So, how did this go? I'm a bit out of practice after all this time. Right. And stunned. Herm, what did you do to the poor boy? Just a bit rough during the duel? Yieks.

Okay, so. Thanks for the new chapter. It was worth the wait. I'm looking forward to the next one. Great work, and please keep it up.
DarkRavie chapter 78 . 3/11/2012
Violet Shadows chapter 78 . 3/11/2012
Three days never seemed so long.
Ummm chapter 78 . 3/11/2012
She is NOT related to Merlin...
Paganimagus chapter 78 . 3/11/2012
...AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRGH

Awesomeness overload! WITH A CLIFFHANGER!

A CLIFFHANGER BETTER THAN GREAT TV SHOWS!

Ok, enough capitalisation: I am very glad you've kept on writing, the standard is as high as ever (almost said higher, but then remembered the highpoints in the previous 77 chapters).

I think I'm having relative scale problems :P
Deadzepplin chapter 78 . 3/11/2012
What the fuck!
Unsigned chapter 78 . 3/11/2012
Oh, thank god you're still alive, and that you've given us the time of the next update. I would have been very sad if you hadn't.
darkflare75 chapter 78 . 3/11/2012
You should have the fact that she is related to merlin lead to lucius getting his ass kicked politicly. the best way to do this is to have Nikolus flamel be the one to come in and tell everybody.
josh148513 chapter 78 . 3/11/2012
I get the anger part but attempted murder

Love story

Update soon
Fangren chapter 78 . 3/11/2012
Well, this was a rather unexpected turn of events. The battle itself was spectacular, and the addition of the assorted relatives as spectators was a nice touch.

I'm really interested in reading what happened with the duel; as Draco obviously hadn't intended this to happen, I'm guessing they were caught.

I'm also interested in finding out where Quirrell was at breakfast too, though I don't think his reasons are directly related to the duel.
Mr Cannon chapter 78 . 3/11/2012
Well, that was worth a long wait. Thank you!

I think I missed the point where Harry was allowed back into potions class, but I'm sure it happened somewhere.
Majin Hentai X chapter 78 . 3/11/2012
The magic is back this story has life in it again.

If you ever time travel replace the original Harry Potter with this story instead. Don't worry about paradoxes you will just bifurcate on to another time line entirely.
FanBoySalami chapter 78 . 3/11/2012
AMAZING! This is incredible. The epic-ness of this story will live on as long as human civilization endures.

The way you describe "magical conservation of energy" makes sense, though the energy is still coming from Atlantis/wherever, and it seems a bit overpowered. I thought about it and it doesn't seem to imply infinite energy bombs- good job! What I was worried about was a potion that generates heat from volcanic rock being used to melt the world- pour a bit of the potion on the ground, and it turns the rock into more potion and releases heat. Fortunately, my understanding is that potions can only be created inside a cauldron, and only in a batch- you can't have a cauldron with raw material flowing in and finished potion flowing out. It seems like there should exist a potion with only non-magical ingredients that heats the materials to the highest energy state they have ever occupied. This would be about as powerful as a nuclear bomb, and brew-able by first-year students. Fortunately, I imagine this isn't something Harry will stumble upon on his own, and I'm not sure whether you want to write about the implications of easy nuke-spells.

Good luck with the new rationality education project! I would caution you to seek the clearest possible explanations for your ideas, maximize buy-in from mainstream academics, and to set up online quizzes (see what did) to make sure people actually understand the material in your sequences.
Anon chapter 78 . 3/11/2012
Omg what the hell? attempted murder? gaah I'm dying to find out what happened! Very entertaining work!
WhyJayTeeSee chapter 78 . 3/11/2012
YOU UPDATED! AT LAST! AND IT'S A LONG CHAPTER! AHHHHHHHHHH! (I saw MoR got updated and just had to review. lol. Going to read it now...)
Reviewer chapter 78 . 3/11/2012
Wow! That was fantastic. I really can't wait until thursday. Good to have you back.
gwern chapter 78 . 3/11/2012
And now the speculation begins: how did Draco mess up so badly that Hermione is being charged over it? Charging in no way serves his stated goal and makes him look even worse than he did before. Is this a move by Lucius? But I can't quite see what the point would be even if he has influence in the courts.
Anon chapter 78 . 3/11/2012
This was a pleasant surprise. I thought you hadnt really written all those chapters and were trying to write them as quickly as possible. Actually, that is still a valid theory since you haven't uploaded any more chapters. Quick, before you get mobbed.

Great chapter though slightly disappointing since I waited so Long for it.
a nitpicker chapter 78 . 3/11/2012
Shouldn't the "the Lieutenant" be "their Lieutenant" in this part?

Sending Dean Thomas to Dragon Army had been a quite deliberate move on Harry's part, Draco was certain. Three other former Chaotics had also been transferred to Dragon Army, and all were watching Draco hawklike to see if he offered the former Lieutenant the slightest insult.

-A Grammar Nazi.
sliz225 chapter 78 . 3/11/2012
You updated! Squeeeeee!

Loved the framing device of the parents watching the battle. They were continuously hilarious. In fact, as a rule of thumb, anything in (parentheses) in this story is absolutely hilarious.

Ooh, I thought the goggles would be night vision, but your version made more sense.

Loved the little Take That at catgirl and her Polyjuice Potion.

Poor Hermione. What a Wham Line, at the end! She's so exhausted and stressed and now . . . that. Ouch. And Harry assumed the Aurors were for him. Hmph.

Good Luck.
AnaRola chapter 78 . 3/11/2012
I have to admit, I was worried about this chapter. I was longing for it so much that I thought it couldn't possibly meet expectations.

I was wrong. To put it mildly.

This chapter has everything that got me addicted to this story - the emotional roller coaster, the intensity, the legitimately intelligent characters, the plot twists I don't anticipate and the ones I can see coming - and dread. My heart is still racing. Waiting until Thursday will be more painful than the last six months.

But if it takes this long to put together a good chapter, take all the time you need. I would worry that I would die of old age before you finish it, but I hear you're fixing that as well.

I'd sign up for the Rationality organization if I were in the Bay Area. I'm not, so I'll donate money once you're ready to take it. Not in exchange for chapters - let's not offend DLP - but just because I think I've barely gotten a taste of what rationality really means, and if other people can learn that, the world would be a better place.

Hope the move to Berkeley went well!
w chapter 78 . 3/11/2012
Welcome back! Hope the move went well. Pay no attention to the reviewers with attention deficit and haters, good things require time. Thank you for continuing working on that, though you surely do know that by doing this you're spreading out rationality much more efficiently than all the other ways :).

Nice humor with parents-children interactions. Nice cliffhanger at the end. Things are getting serious and just how exactly the masked Quirrell embedded these ideas in Hermione, must have been him. Draco is still one of your best characters. And nice bits on how important decisions might really be made.
Jones chapter 78 . 3/11/2012
"It was hard to muster a proper sense of indignation when you were confronting the same dignified witch who, twelve years and four months earlier, had given both of you two weeks' detention after catching you in the act of conceiving Tracey."

That's a good start XD

YOU ARE FORGIVEN ELIEZER
JoshuaZ chapter 78 . 3/11/2012
That was well done. Although I'm not sure I'm happy with the long wait. I'm really not happy with the fact that I need to wait a few days to get the next chapter. Oh, and Harry's realization about how potions work and how he used it was a very clever bit indeed. Excellent.
Whitewinds chapter 78 . 3/11/2012
Ooo... Hermione's got *problems!* I can't help wondering what, if anything, this has to do with the duel; I'm inclined to think nothing, as Draco when to considerable lengths to ensure the duel's privacy. I think this is more about Lucius' outraged pride overriding his good judgement, though how this will interact with Draco and Hermione's duel (assuming it happened) is going to be very interesting.

Also, I really like how potions work. It makes no scientific sense, but makes perfect magical (meaning symbolic) sense.
Wrathkal chapter 78 . 3/11/2012
Damn! It's been long since an update. Extremely interesting battle descriptions, especially Neville's entrance. And the cliffhanger... damn, you deserve commendation for your writing.
Angel Is A Centerfold chapter 78 . 3/11/2012
An... update? But how could this be?

Also, March 15th is my birthday! Thanks for the early gift, Eliezer~