Reviews for Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality
walkingspring chapter 8 . 6/5
At least Harry is nice to Neville.
Jhuffy chapter 8 . 5/19
Harry and Hermione's first encounter was great! They will be great friends!
The six quarks are as follows:
Up, down, top, bottom, strange, charm.
TheOther4thHorseman chapter 8 . 4/28
Harry reminds me of a more... cheerful, compulsive Artemis Fowl and I cannot express how much I love that.
ack1308 chapter 8 . 4/6
Harry Potter manic is a lot more fun than Harry Potter angry.
SnuggleKitten69 chapter 8 . 3/10
Harry's true colours shining through there?
Aislynn Crowdaughter chapter 8 . 2/18
Love the interaction between Herminoe and Harry, here, although you made her even more socially inept than the start-of-Hogwarts-Herminoe in the original. She will have a real hard time to compete against this version ofHarry. And in this fic, I foresee she will end in Ravenclaw, which is probably where she would have belonged anyway.

One more remark to the previous chapter 7, Reciprocation:

I loved Harrys interaction with Draco Malfoy and his thoughts about wizard society, there. Especially this line:

"Right. Because he seemed like such a normal kid. And he is a normal kid, he is just what you'd expect a baseline male child to be like if Darth Vader were his doting father."

Great picture. The whole Harry-and-Draco interaction, especially the part about Harry convincing Draco what Muggles and science has accomplished so far, is awesome and makes one very sympathetic to Draco Malfoy. One little point of critique, though: we haven't seen Harry learning much about the House systemat Hogwarts so far,so how would he know what Slytherinis suposed to be, and what defines Hufflepuff?

"I wonder how difficult it would be to just make a list of all the top blood purists and kill them."

Heavy foreshadowing, here...

I also absolutely loved the aftermath. It gives a clear picture and a strong idea about what it really means to be in Slytherin, or rather, to be raised as the heir of a pureblood family like the Malfoys. Even the interaction between father and son is breathing politics.

Awesome!
kronoan chapter 8 . 1/27
WOW! WOW! WOW!
ivyriry chapter 8 . 12/31/2016
To much information... Necesito una nueva memoria
Meerhawk chapter 8 . 12/10/2016
HOLY **** THIS IS AMAZING! I think you just punted my brain past the asteroid belt.
Jatok chapter 8 . 11/13/2016
This story is really refreshing. I hate stupid/ignorant/ithinktheyreboth people
Anatia chapter 8 . 11/4/2016
Harry's actions are sometimes strange, but he has his own reasons and they are all logical and pre-planned. I love it. His rage was amazing at the end of the chapter, and I wish to see the conversation he is about to make with the prefects.
Rambling Drabble chapter 8 . 9/19/2016
1. Didn't know eidetic memory was a synonym for photographic memory. Let me just take a few days to repeat that word to myself so I can learn it like any NORMAL human would.
2. I still love the mention of how Harry speaks like a book. For once, a fic came out and said how people don't talk like this in real life.
3. Oh, the crackpot theories about Harry v the Dark Lord sure are fun, aren't they?
4. Hmm, consequentialism, eh? If only politics ran on that.
5. So I'm making a list of any science (text)books mentioned in HPMoR and I'm not sure which ones I'm going to go and read, but I think I'll just stick with the old "promising title/description" method that's worked out well enough for fanfiction.
blood-doll-aishiteru chapter 8 . 9/15/2016
These was very interesting.
sunset oasis chapter 8 . 9/2/2016
Harry continued to be awesome and I'm just amazed by his knowledge his ability to think so quickly and rationally and I love the game he played with Hermione. And the therapy thing with Neville is interesting.
Lupinefire chapter 8 . 8/28/2016
Enjoying your Hermione so far. Very interesting seeing a different side of Harry as well, both with the twins and his intent to help Neville.
tanadhari chapter 8 . 8/17/2016
Whoa, I'm not a science major, so I'm not surprised at all that the majority of the science is going completely over my head right now. (Sidebar: I really do wish we could use italics in reviews, but...) Besides that, I'm already liking the characterization of Harry and Hermione. The Diagon Alley scene with Harry and McGonagall was priceless! If it went that way in canon... the possibilites would have been endless.
Guest chapter 8 . 8/14/2016
WHY HAVENT I READ THIS EARLIER
Andrew chapter 8 . 7/16/2016
I really like the idea of the book, the whole rationality thing, etc. but why do you have to write so many words in italics? I find it really annoying sometimes when a short paragraph has at least 5 or 6 of them written like that. Isn't the idea of using italics to emphasise something? Let's take that as an example:

It just sounds unnatural to me when every other word seems like it's said with some sort of stress.
Squarekiddo chapter 8 . 7/6/2016
This is why im so confused really, Hermione gets hailed in the books about being smart and bright, bu shes not really, shes actually pretty dumb, and thats why im so shocked you would have her with Harry here, of course the books arent much for side characters so I cant really recommend someone better, just someone with a moderately clean slate.
ThaleiaEuphrosyneEveningshade chapter 8 . 6/25/2016
What's the pairing again?
its not slash is it?
is the pairing HarryxHermione?
myafroatemydog chapter 8 . 6/23/2016
This was such an excellent chapter.
Raijin2013 chapter 8 . 5/31/2016
Ok, so I started reading this story a few hours ago. There is no point in saying that it is awesome, its quite evident with how many favourites this story has, the only problem that I have is that I cannot write a comment that does this story justice. You sir, are really awesome.
Happy chapter 8 . 5/22/2016
This is so much more fun than the original! Don't tell you know who I said that
Happy chapter 8 . 5/21/2016
So wonderful!
Arctic-Starflowers chapter 8 . 5/20/2016
...My brain got run over by a truck... This is like: the science version of Harry Potter. Completly mindwrapping...
TheLittleRoguex chapter 8 . 5/14/2016
Yayyyyy Hermione
benrobbins77 chapter 8 . 5/4/2016
So why is Harry still small for his age if he isn't malnourished?
gi-freakazoid chapter 8 . 5/1/2016
I actually liked Hermione being stumped over a trivial experiment of Harry's.
Guestamazing chapter 8 . 4/10/2016
My world has been turned upside down. Suddenly, Hermione isn't the main brain. But I do love genius Harry. AHA! Gryffindors turn out to be not so stereotypically Gryffinforical after all, thus proving the issue with the Sorting I mentioned earlier. Also, isn't Percy Weasley a Prefect this year? Forgive me if I'm mistaken; I haven't read the books in a long while.
Darthiceanfire chapter 8 . 3/26/2016
I'm sure the books not History: A Hogwarts
Rebecca dawn hughes chapter 8 . 3/18/2016
I love this so much! Thank you for writing such a lovely and well written story!
bagofpopcorn chapter 8 . 2/1/2016
I love Harry. He is amazing. And annoying (if I had to deal with him myself), but truly wonderful as a bystander.
Guest chapter 8 . 1/29/2016
Ha. Bet they BOTH end up in Ravenclaw.
Nixus-Hiver chapter 8 . 1/21/2016
Waht.
Montara chapter 8 . 1/20/2016
Harry Potter The Roller Coaster - since Hermione's life with Harry will be one challenge after another. :D

It's like Draco, Harry, Hermione and Neville are the Founders reunited...
Keira chapter 8 . 1/13/2016
Ah, you certainly DID do your research. At first I was going to call you out on it, but then I realized: at the time this takes place, they most likely still called the top and bottom quark truth a beauty. Nice work.
LiteratureGirl12 chapter 8 . 12/25/2015
Omg, this is so confusing... even Hermione got confused,so I was completely left in the dust.
Pom Rania chapter 8 . 12/22/2015
Ah. That is actually very important, testing for things to disprove one's hypothesis. I shall have to remember that for the future.
Grissina chapter 8 . 12/10/2015
I have to admit that harry's reasoning about the neville incident reminded me of dumbledore and so for the first time i didn't quite like him being so super inteligent. then all his passion in helping him erased any bad thoughts I'd had.
is curious to see hermione not being the smartest.
WatchingTheWatchman chapter 8 . 12/4/2015
Hermione's response to Harry's proposition is pretty much the best reaction anyone could have to that question.

Harry really needs that his intelligence doesn't mean he knows best for everyone around him; desensitization therapy is only good when done by a trained professional under controlled circumstances. That's the whole theory behind trigger warnings. I love what you're doing with his character, and making it pretty clear that he does have flaws.

I hope Hermione acts like Harry's conscience, he needs someone to do that for him
Maliciouspixie5 chapter 8 . 12/4/2015
I love this. It's like Douglas Adams read Harry Potter, discovered Fanfiction, and then decided 'WTF' let's see what I can do with this.
Xidaer chapter 8 . 12/3/2015
Using his powers for good! Although in seriously questionable ways. I like it! Thank you for writing!
The Anguished One chapter 8 . 11/23/2015
What a spectacular meeting between Harry and Hermione. Both are now aware of the other's skills. Hermione doesn't love Harry's style, but she does see its merits. Who knows, maybe they'll still be friends. As for Neville and this Gryffindor incident, I think the chances of Harry joining them just dropped to zero. For that matter, Neville has reason to not care for them and Hermione has doubts. Without all three of them, their generation will have a much weaker Gryffindor class.
Guest chapter 8 . 11/18/2015
"This ain't bashing, it's the story writing itself!"
Dude what the fuck. No it's totally bashing. You know why? Because Harry is apperantly just so burdened by Ron he can't even understand why he exists, yet good ole Malfoy comes in, seriously states he wants to RAPE one of his peers and Harry still wants to be buds with him and change him for the better. I'm really, really trying to enjoy this fic, but if it gets anymore annoying, it's gonna be dropped like a ton of bricks.
Gothic Rain chapter 8 . 11/13/2015
Yeah, never trust a book when it comes to people...
iTaleTeller chapter 8 . 11/11/2015
Funny how multiple experiments should be had to reach a conclussion, yet one single bad Gryffindor is enough to damn the whole house
Davis chapter 8 . 11/10/2015
This stuff is great!
Any way to get a hard copy?
I'd pay for all the costs, shipping too.
Please let me know!

Thanks for the great writing, you rock!
John D. Harrison chapter 8 . 11/8/2015
First things first, this is a wonderful work.

However, it is worth noting that the six quarks are actually "up (u), down (d), strange (s), charm (c), bottom (b), and top (t)", and the initial rant about Conservation of Energy might need some slight wikipedia-ing. Also, perhaps it may be a good idea to not actually quote a book unless you've actually read it, otherwise you end up looking like an idiot trying to sound smart in front of somebody who did.

Hate to be so negative.
Best of Luck,
John D. Harrison.
(Too lazy to log in, direct replies toward my younger brother Rogueninja12374)
ShadowLDrago chapter 8 . 10/14/2015
What, just happened?
Gleas chapter 8 . 10/13/2015
Wow... just wow... Hermione probably won't be a proper know-it-all anymore... I can't wait for the Snape-Harry interaction...-giggles madly-
boom chapter 8 . 10/10/2015
I like Harry's character here, your kind of writing is a rare find in a fanfiction site, great work.

One thing though, no matter how smart Harry may have put it, the end does not justify the means, cold hard reason dictates that sacrifice of a few is justified if it benefits the majority, but morally speaking, if that sacrifice requires a violation of innocent peoples basic human rights can that kind of abuse really be justified? What kind of human or institution would ever have the right declare and accept such a thing to be just? It may be the most logical solution ergo the right solution but it can never be called just, what kindof society would we have if that is what Justice is defined by.

Harry is a complicated character, At one point I seemed to have figured him out but I still get confused along the way, I can't figure him out, he's definitely manipulative and he wants to defeat Voldemort either to save people or simply because he hates to dissapoint the public' expectation of him. I cant figure out his motives so I
can't tell if he's acting out of character.

Great job writing though keep it up :)
Annalynn Roe chapter 8 . 10/1/2015
I imagine this is what the Doctor would've been like as a child...although maybe more the Master. Either way, Hogwarts is in for an interesting time.
Good chapter 8 . 9/29/2015
Im reading the first real harry potter book at the same time as this here fic and this man does good.
Pratima chapter 8 . 9/21/2015
trust me, this fic is a worth of migraine for fantasy lovers. Worst fic i ever read no doubt it.. Unnecessarily tough language it has. What it lacks most is Harry's innocence. In this fic he is kind of insufferable wannbe EienstienmarxGallieoPlato... What not and above all he is arrogant.. But that sort of personality doesn't make a good character. one must have some flaws.. This is kind of Author's own personality to transform in Harry Character so it is not Harry himself. I bet many wouldn't like it for sure but they considered something complex to be really good. it's really old characteristics of human nature. So the story becomes purely tasteless because of it. I honestly tried so hard to be a neutral reader but at last i gave up. It literally gave me the feeling that inventing or discovering something would be far easier than to understand the motive of such fiction. It doesn't give you the entertainment neither you can imagine the ccharacter nor you could feel its depth then why do we actually read fictions if we didn't get it anything? I have read plenty of standard science fictions but they did justify their plos and characters. I just don't criticized this fic for the sake of criticism, i just criticized it constructively.

Ps.

At last only one thing i find genuinely appreciative about this fic which is its theme if i could say in a word. but its langauge and unnecessarily fetched conversations btw characters are its greatest drawbacks. And because of it the plot seems lost and we just wondered if we readers some generals on psycopathyscience beyond science epistemologymetaphysicswhat not..
Sam chapter 8 . 9/13/2015
I liked this story at first, but it feels like Harry is a totally different character in this chapter. I want his smug face punched in. He was curious and polite up until now. It seems interacting with his peers brings out the arrogant jerk in him. I'll give it another chapter, but if the main character remains so unlikable I'll move on.
P. P. P chapter 8 . 9/12/2015
Damn, I don't know what to say. They shouldn't form a negative bias against Gryffindor just because of one jerk though.
SomeoneKnew chapter 8 . 9/6/2015
Harry is freaking amazing. "And if that doesn't work, I'll start recruiting my fans and if we have to we'll take apart the whole train screw by screw." This is epic!
Zyxis chapter 8 . 8/10/2015
Second, I'm incredibly curious about the pairing, but I am glad it is not slash. Not that I am homophobic or anything of the sort, it's just that I'm straight and I enjoy seeing Harry paired with the various girls in his universe. Unfortunately I am unsure if I will be able to continue reading a few hours from now, but I will return ASAP.
Zyxis chapter 8 . 8/10/2015
I was interrupted before I could review last chapter, so I will review this one twice. First is that I love that Harry is so pessimistic and intelligent. He is also more than a bit wise.
Carly chapter 8 . 8/7/2015
Off to get the list of references for this fan fiction... I will not sit here and be lectured on intelligence and the scientific method by a fictional character.
Guest chapter 8 . 8/7/2015
Б
Nachtvogel chapter 8 . 7/7/2015
I read on and I really, really honestly love your story. But I wonder, how it will all turn out. Harry in Ravenclaw? Seriously? And friends with Malfoy? Still, I love your Harry. I love his sharp wit and sometimes I just think, he is hilarious. I havent often read something I liked as much as this and I have read a lot!
Lucyferina chapter 8 . 6/4/2015
Wow! What an amazing first meeting!
Tornhold chapter 8 . 6/2/2015
Great Scott!

In other news: Wonderful stuff, that. Great use of comedic elements. Kudos. Yes yes, I am entirely aware of the fact that this Chapter is rather... old in comparison to some works. Still... glad I hadn't already read it. Gives me something to enjoy right now.
Angelfirenze chapter 8 . 5/26/2015
Okay, Harry's a bit difficult to digest in this chapter, but - as usual - it evens out in the end.
ahsie chapter 8 . 5/22/2015
Holy. Jeepers.
I feel like I actually am LEARNING THINGS as I read harry teach!
My apologies for not reviewing more often but cell phone keyboards are a pain. And this is page turning! I don't wanna stop! But kudos must be given at semi regular intervals regardless how much more I just want to READ!

AWESOME.
EPIC.
EPIC SPIN!
Doctor Jackson chapter 8 . 5/20/2015
As I'm sure you have been tomd before, this is one of the shining stars in a world of often sub-par writing. Fanfictions rarely recieve as much thought and clever plot development as I have seen in this. I have been thouroughly sucked in and have enjoyed every second of it.
PA chapter 8 . 5/16/2015
Ron's pushed out the way. Draco's still a douche. Harry wants Luna? What about Hermione? Ohh ... let's keep going.
Your-Room-Is-A-Mess chapter 8 . 4/3/2015
"How, without wands or magic? It's a long story, Draco. Science doesn't work by waving wands and chanting spells, it works by knowing how the universe works on such a deep level that you know exactly what to do in order to make the universe do what you want."

I'm sorry, but that's not true by any stretch of any imagination. Take it from someone who studies those rockets that go to the moon.
Hobbyfarmer chapter 8 . 4/1/2015
I am sorry I can not get into this story for several reasons. Harry is very unlikable and disrespectful. The chapters cover so little time it appears choppy and even though it is witty it is extremely boring. I can see why it is popular it is just not for me.
Arabella Lee Smith chapter 8 . 3/28/2015
rereading and loving this.
Myu-chan chapter 8 . 3/27/2015
This story completly blows my mind. It is so amazingly utterly confusingly brillant, i can't even...
Village-Mystic chapter 8 . 3/21/2015
Cause and effect. I wonder if Percy'd pettiness has made a big shake-up.
ravencarr chapter 8 . 3/18/2015
Just finished chap8!
Ohhh!just what I need to kick start my day.
KOTORgeek13 chapter 8 . 3/15/2015
This story... There are no adjectives to describe it. That's a good thing tho. Harry x Hermione!
Julia Ba chapter 8 . 3/15/2015
This story is absolutely brilliant! I'm only at chapter 8 here but the more I read the more amazing it gets. Thank you for the pleasure and I'll review later on.
hisnhers chapter 8 . 3/14/2015
I love the influence Harry is having on everyone he comes in contact with. btw... my brain hurts reading this... ugh. Not all of us are smart cookies, thank goodness my kids take after my hubby and not me in the brains department.

I am enjoying it even if I'm not keeping up 100% with Harry.

-his
4everfictional chapter 8 . 3/12/2015
Ravenclaw all the way! Also, I adore this version of Harry Potter! XD
mab70 chapter 8 . 3/11/2015
I completely agree with Hermione, in every way!
mpbheywood chapter 8 . 3/8/2015
There was actually a better experiment Hermione could have used. She ended up pouring the soda on the floor and concluded that the Charm was in the soda and not in her robes. But there could have been Charms on both the robes and the floor to clean up spills, and it would be useful for both to have such Charms. But she knew that no Charms had been cast on her own skin, so she should have spilled a few drops into her hand, and if the soda disappeared then, the Charm was in the soda.
Berlin chapter 8 . 3/5/2015
Wow, that was just a whole load of awesome Gobbledegook. (So yes, I love this.)
LauraDragon chapter 8 . 2/1/2015
*whimpers* Potter is being scary! *Punches Voldemort* IT'S ALL YOUR FAULT! *Voldemort goes unconscious*
TheCauldron chapter 8 . 12/10/2014
Oh god I'm in love with your sense of humour!
IV Legacy of Poseidon chapter 8 . 12/7/2014
going good.
camilaus chapter 8 . 11/30/2014
awesome chapter I like harry being so smart
N. E. Person chapter 8 . 11/8/2014
Wow... I'm loving this. No Ron, and Harry and Hermione having a nerd war... :D
kimchi759 chapter 8 . 11/3/2014
This was a very entertaining chapter. I loved this exchange between two extremely well-read people. That said, gosh darn. I had hoped Harry wouldn't be biased against any of the houses, even if he is biased toward Ravenclaw, but it looks like he dislikes the house of the lions.
Jammie chapter 8 . 10/23/2014
Hi, I know your aim is to write in British English, rather than American English. As a brit, I figured I'd point out something I found a bit odd.

We generally call 'pop' drinks, like coke and fanta, 'Fizzy Drinks'.

So rather than saying "Hermione poured the pop onto the floor", We'd say "Hermione poured the fizzy drink on to the floor."
Kurt's Anatomy chapter 8 . 10/19/2014
You continue to amaze me with this.
MeiPhantomhive chapter 8 . 9/18/2014
So a NEW side to everything, huh?
I am impressed.
Sue Clover chapter 8 . 9/3/2014
Her mind was so jumbled she didn't think she could properly read "History: A Hogwarts." That sentence just made me hiccup.
So, are Harry's glasses still round? Because even if he hasn't spent his life in a cupboard, he has spent his life reading books and he's bound to be nearsighted still. But he had a different father and lifestyle, so his glasses might have a different shape. Or does he have contacts? Have you mentioned this already and I just missed it? Because I do believe I am that oblivious.
alix33 chapter 8 . 8/26/2014
Hehehe at the claws of Harry's trunk making that "odd slithering sound".
Hehehe at Hermione now wanting a pouch like the one Harry was sold in Gringotts.
Probably Percy Weasley who refused to help Neville look for his toad…
Talkingbirdguy chapter 8 . 8/11/2014
Very good chapter, on to the next!
Pazia28 chapter 8 . 8/6/2014
I totally like the idea of Luna being a seer. But have her prophecy horribly mistuned so its tabloid stuff please oh please do it.
thepkrmgc chapter 8 . 7/30/2014
its really quite surreal to see harry's antics from a strangers perspective, they are still rather funny but im starting to see why he doesnt have any freinds...
Tinnis chapter 8 . 7/17/2014
This story is brilliant. I love it. The way you explore the magic society and what's wrong with it is really interesting and I have never encountered your interpretation of the books anywhere else at least so that makes it feel new to me.
The story has also already taught me quite a few things because Harry almost always explains his strange scientific theories to someone else, giving me a chance to learn them.
So far my favorite moments has been the interaction between Harry and Draco. That had me laughing so much that I couldn't breath and I had to put my pillow in my mouth so that I wouldn't wake the entire house.
nightkit11224 chapter 8 . 7/14/2014
Harry Potter is not a conceited brat, but someone who has been hit hard with a Memory Charm. I change my mind with every chapter...
Grandmaster Soul chapter 8 . 7/14/2014
It seems a little arbitrary to judge all of Gryffindor by the actions of one guy. But she's 11 so I guess some slack can be cut.
Foxy-Floof chapter 8 . 7/3/2014
OMG, THIS IS AMAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAZING.

I love smarty-pants stories where Harry is intelligent and analytical...
Jesper chapter 8 . 7/2/2014
Why would HERMIONE think of Gryffindor like it was bound to be wonderful. Pfft :D
crpt chapter 8 . 7/2/2014
Are you sure that that shouldn't be run over by a pancake and turn into a steamroller? because that does seem like it would fit her mental state.
Jesper chapter 8 . 7/1/2014
Hermione is more awesome in the real book but nice try.
InArduisFidelis-RAMC chapter 8 . 6/15/2014
'I'd like you to help me take over the universe.' 'No thank you, I'm not evil.' How can anyone say that with a straight face? And it's refreshing to find someone who can actually bamboozle hermione.
00 Non C. Anon 00 chapter 8 . 6/4/2014
Please don't take this the wrong way, but I think I'm in love.
greenprisoner chapter 8 . 6/4/2014
finally omg i've been trying to think forever how to make hermione an enjoyable character what a brilliant setup *claps*
Ibbonray chapter 8 . 4/14/2014
Honestly? This is brilliant. Utterly brilliant. Your scientific additions are genius and Harry's effect on those around him is utterly priceless. Fabulous story.
Just a note: Towards the end, when you say "History: A Hogwarts," do you mean "Hogwarts: A History?"
Sailorcelestial chapter 8 . 4/10/2014
:/ So, I was enjoying this fic until it became clear what a self-righteous, condescending little jerk this Harry is, and not in a fun way. I assume some of it is intended to be a hint at the piece of Voldemort's soul residing in him, unless that's also changed.

This fic was fun at first, but seeing Ron portrayed and perceived by Harry as actually stupid instead of under-confident and a little rash, and then seeing Hermione reduced to being condescended to rather than actually respected for her intelligence and education, has taken all the fun out of it for me. Honestly, that's what really did it; I could have handled the Ron thing, but I strongly dislike seeing the character of Hermione treated as a less intelligent lacky to super-special-snowflake-Marty Stu-genius Harry.

Perhaps you fix this later. There are 101 chapters to this fic, so if you do, then I apologize. But as of right now the characterization of Harry, and how he relates to the characters around him when he's not being hilariously insane, has turned me completely off.
Silverrain chapter 8 . 4/9/2014
Great story.
Me chapter 8 . 4/8/2014
End of ch.8: History: A Hogwarts. Is this a typo?
Anchpop chapter 8 . 4/5/2014
History: A Hogwarts is the funniest thing I've ever read! I was literally (yes, literally) rolling on the floor!
CapDePardals chapter 8 . 3/31/2014
I presume that the "History: A Hogwarts" thing was done on purpose? Genius. The whole thing is, actually. I always loved doing what Harry does, but on a less smarty sciency wibbly woobly what-the-eff scientific terms-y scale. Using more... basic vocab. Hope there's a chapter on The Law of Conservation of Mass and the Vanishing Charm somewhere in the near future :D
Sailor Saturn fan chapter 8 . 3/3/2014
Dahm! Hermione did not pass Harry's test in her first try?! This is fabulous! At least he gave her a second chance. And what Harry is going to do for Neville is very nice. Let's see how it turns out!

-Saturn
Harlequin de Rustre chapter 8 . 2/22/2014
I like that you use valid sources of knowledge, but I wish there was a better way to illustrate education without rattling off book titles and such. Then again, that's what brainy schoolkids do if they're all about learning...

I sense a mild dip in the quality of your character writing, as well as general plot writing. A shame, but some deterioration was expected...
IXAthenaeum chapter 8 . 2/7/2014
salkdjgn all that reasoning, and Hermione gets to show off her intellect! I freaking love you 3
Vampires2rocks chapter 8 . 2/5/2014
Gryffindor isn't as wonderful? That's what I felt when I read the Series itself.

...too many plot holes, ignores too many holes, and made me just a tad too angry a tad too many times.

Vamp
julian.sloman chapter 8 . 2/3/2014
This is amazingly entertaining, though the D&D references throw me off a bit (due to overlap with HP and the nat 20) - and because there's no other indication that this nerdy character was into D&D. No one just reads the rule book for fun if you have science books left to read, and science fiction, etc. - But since the quality is so high I'll accept that if need be, and make this world too a D&D/HP crossover in my mind. We'll see.
Talonis Wolf chapter 8 . 1/27/2014
Harry vs. Hermoine in a cross of intellectual swords? I believe that's a first. Philosophical Swords, seen it, morality, been done... but this is highly original, and I like it!

The "stay" comment confused me at first, simply because I hadn't thought of the Trunk as a pet which /could/ follow him. Now I have this idea of the trunk being the T.A.R.D.I.S and Harry being the Doctor with less qualms, if the same eccentricity.

If you don't get the reference, you might want to look up Doctor Who. It seems to have many themes in common with this, and you might get some... "unusual" ideas.
Hinotorihime chapter 8 . 1/20/2014
Try reading this, replacing "Harry Potter" with "Artemis Fowl".
nickyfullmetal chapter 8 . 1/16/2014
Is everything I studied a lie?
I was taught the six quarks were: up, down, strange, charm, top, bottom.
I suppose in the magical world of Harry Potter, incosistancies such as these are easily explained :)
Grizzmon chapter 8 . 1/13/2014
The world isn't as black & white as you thought, right?
Oh Eurydice chapter 8 . 12/28/2013
hands down, your fanfiction is the best there is. i'm thinking of printing and making this into a book for my hypothetical kids to read. for science!
Dawn Darkling chapter 8 . 12/12/2013
You make stringing together theories and facts look like a veritable art form!
Also, ya can't let one circumstance ruin your perception of something, you have to collect more circumstances as if you were starting a stamp collection so to be certain that one perception among the rest is correct (speaking as if I were addressing Hermione.)
Naja chapter 8 . 12/6/2013
Okay now there is something wrong. This fic is making me want to do some science or at least some psychology. I got C in science and E in additional science. I am not cut out for science yet this fic is telling me to do science. This is a very good fic and I love Draco, Hermione and the way that you have portrayed Gryffindor as a slight negative in Hermione's eyes to adapt her to the story instead of completely changing her character. Most of the characters seem consistent to canon but with more depth, in my opinion, with the obvious exception of Harry and that had to be changed because in my opinion he was a bit of a flat character and a fool, as if JKR thought that as he was the main character he did not need to have much character development as there is more concentration on the other characters; I like the way that you have not done this, you have concentrated on Harry also
Darkace23 chapter 8 . 11/27/2013
He seems like Sheldon Cooper from The Big Bang Theory.
567zoock67 chapter 8 . 11/8/2013
Heh, I like Hermione in this. And Ron too. You've managed to keep their original personalities as well as adapting them to fit the theme of this story. I also got my question in my last review partly answered. Hermione didn't know the properties of the drink, and yet when she drank it, the outcome still occured. It's funny how such an action-changing drink is only worth five knuts in the wizarding world.

I also love Harry's test at Hermione with the numbers. When I first read it, I was unconciously thinking the same as Hermione, and was both surprised and baffled by Harry's explanation, which made sense after a while. I'm dying to try that trick out on anybody and see if they can get the formula XD
Extended Experience chapter 8 . 11/7/2013
Urghn... You're story is like a science lesson... It makes me want to cry and take out pen and paper at the same time...
willam and jack and jake chapter 8 . 10/22/2013
interesting fanfic
Inscrutably Expressive chapter 8 . 10/17/2013
Where is Ron in this story, the most strategic and three-dimensional thinker of the trio? Perhaps the author implemented some positive bias of his own: stereotypical fanfic Ron is supposed to be stupid, so obviously he can't keep up in the story. After all, everyone is a chess master right? Such an easy skill.
AuroraAustralice chapter 8 . 10/10/2013
You, Sir/Ma'am, are brilliant, I tip my hat to you and bend in the face of your magnificent, intelligent, supreme story. This story should belong in original fiction, truly something that would fly off the shelves ... just saying. Anyway thank you for the riveting, brilliant, fascinating read that has made me laugh and smile and not get bored even once. :)
Lots of Love
Urvashi
Iryerris chapter 8 . 10/6/2013
Yesssss... convert to Ravenclaw... come to me...
Percabethgirl2645 chapter 8 . 9/13/2013
Harry's just a little smart ass isn't he? :)
finnr chapter 8 . 8/30/2013
Sorry this is the first chapter I've reviewed. Superb! I played the 2-4-6 game with my family with the standard result. They latched on to n, 2n, 3n and did 8 "tests", all Yes.
I'm
Saying goodbye to my weekend/free time now. Brilliant!
Cundrie chapter 8 . 8/25/2013
O.O WOW... great story! Im only at chapter 8 at this moment but looking forward to read more of this fic
Was Harrys trunk inspirated in some way? Because, sometime ago Ive read a book that also discibes a semi-sentinent trunk. In German the booktitel or rather the series is called "Scheibenwelt Romane". I loved the trunk in this book and yours is also fantastic to read )
Cant wait to go back to reading
Cundrie
cross-over-lover232 chapter 8 . 8/15/2013
some times reading Harry gets REALLY confusing.
Dieter chapter 8 . 8/13/2013
Harry could make a lot of money transfiguring vegetables into cake. It should be safe enough to transfigure food into food... It would still spike insulin levels and have a bit of effect on the waistline, but people definitely wouldn't absorb all of the calories.
DaftDruid chapter 8 . 8/5/2013
Awww! I hope you didn't crush ALL her dreams!
Shadowdude333 chapter 8 . 8/1/2013
I loved the ending! I am SO glad Harry has a "you better do as I say or you will not like the consequences" face! I really enjoyed his conversation with Hermione and the aftermath of the conversation!
Netchka chapter 8 . 7/31/2013
There you have it. Kids are kids no matter who they are or where they're from.
Stacks chapter 8 . 7/31/2013
Luna Lovegood can have "the gift of sight" without having every prediction she makes come true. You gotta have that crazy voice thing happen for it to be a real prophecy right?
Guest chapter 8 . 7/27/2013
I was reading about the six quarks on wikipedia and and they said that the quarks should be named: up, down, charm, strange, bottom, and top. Are you quite sure that it should be truth and beauty instead?
Redbookbluebook chapter 8 . 7/24/2013
I keep bursting into laughter while reading. (My family is no longer surprised.) I love the sense of humour you've infused into this story so far; your response to the Mpreg review was brilliant.
Livixx chapter 8 . 7/19/2013
I like this story
To the TARDIS chapter 8 . 7/7/2013
Yay Harry!

Neville Hermione Harry Fred George and Draco as friends..FANTASTIC!
EditDeath chapter 8 . 6/30/2013
I'm guessing you've already provided the answer somewhere in the 80 chapters I have yet to catch up on, but nonetheless I'd like to provide a possible conclusion regarding how the spit take soda works. We are constantly surrounded by visual, audial, and even nasal stimuli which can cause a multitude of human reactions, the spit take among them. However, by and large they go unnoticed, hovering on the peripheral of our awareness. The soda contains a mild compulsion potion which causes the drinker to alter his focus to more thoroughly perceive those stimuli most likely to result in the desired reaction. Since it affects the drinker on an individual level, he subconsciously directs himself toward the most effective stimuli available.

I feel like an even bigger nerd than normal, but I'm curious to see how close I am. By the by, the "power he knows not" being science is bloody brilliant. I've never seen anyone take that route. Nicely done!
Guest chapter 8 . 6/30/2013
Excellent! We meet Hermione (always a worthwhile activity), and Neville (not quite what he appears), and see relationships evolve. En route we learn a bit about science. (I swore a while back I'd never again read a series in progress, but I'm glad I started this, even if eventually I have to wait for additions.)
Alissie chapter 8 . 6/30/2013
1. A note I forgot from the last chapter: I find it HILARIOUS that it is said that Luna is a Seer! In my Rose Weasley series, Lorcan (one of her twin sons) is a Seer, but it's from his grandmother on his father's side, not his mother's. Still, interesting!

2. I love it. I know it must be getting awfully repetitive of me to be saying that every chapter, but it keeps getting better and better! What a way to spend a night! Discard Ron, get Draco on board instead. Sorry, but that's amazing. D
smallpaperstars chapter 8 . 6/30/2013
Wondrous.
sillysnarrylovinggirl chapter 8 . 6/28/2013
Oh goodness, in my quest for vaguely depraved literary endeavors I've managed to come across a fanfifction which will actually teach me something... and it's an epic fic. What are the odds. Hehe :) Lovely so far, more more. Increasing my 'muggle' reading list by ten.
ShadowFireZelda chapter 8 . 6/23/2013
I have a thesis for an experiment.

You have shown a great amount of knowledge in things rational, scientific, and mathematical. I have three Hypothesizes.
1. You used google to find information and names of things you thought sounded "smart." (Most Unlikely)
2. You are, like your version of Harry, a child protoge (curse my english keyboard and my limited knowledge of shortcut keys). (Unlikely)
3. You are an adult and very well studied, probably having been to college way more than the stereotypical 4 years. (Most Likely)

I find myself fascinated by this story and Harry's use of logic. As far as the science and mathematics, most of it goes over my head, but the thing about adults not actually listening to children and calling it disrespectful and talking back has bugged me for years. (I am 14) Please message me back. I am sorry if it is redundant and your age is stated on your profile, but I haven't checked it yet. Hermione always was my favorite character due to her knowledge and how she never just ran into things without a plan. Ronald and Harry would have been dead in the first book if not for her and they just don't appreciate it. Ron totally doesn't deserve her. Kinda wierd saying a fictional character doesn't deserve a fictional character, but you know; if they were real. And now I have been rambling, sorry. I absolutely love the story, and have checked out the website. Keep writing, you have a unique gift.
Kaos McPunchfist chapter 8 . 5/13/2013
As far as I have read, this seems to me worthy of a bizzaro-world type officially licensed spin-off book.
cryptologicalMystic chapter 8 . 5/4/2013
"Hermione's mind was now so jumbled that she didn't even think she could properly read "History: A Hogwarts"."
"that she didn't even think she could properly read "History: A Hogwarts"."
"could properly read "History: A Hogwarts"."
"History: A Hogwarts"
Please tell me that that was intentional...
But otherwise, this is a great fanfiction, and there is a good reason it has so many reviews.
Ryvaken Lucius Tadrya chapter 8 . 4/27/2013
You know, the flaw with consequentialism as an idea is that in a chaotic system (like, say, everyday life) the consequences of an action cannot be exhaustively mapped. The flaw as an ethical guideline is that it only provides for justification after the fact. Either way, it's pretty much worthless.

And my earlier concerns about this Harry being not precisely scientific have pretty much been confirmed at this point. You have social philosophy being mixed in liberally with scientific theory without differentiation, giving weight to the meaningless drivel and drowning out the few decent thoughts with a mountain of jargon and showmanship.

Also, Weasley bashing. Oi. Such hopes.
12neo chapter 8 . 4/23/2013
Epic! Yet another 'sane and logical person' confused :P
RussianDestruction chapter 8 . 4/18/2013
Ohhhhh Harry testing Hermione is just spectacular! I love that she's questioning Gryffindor now...but I still wish he would be in S, not R House. :(
Poor Neville! I'm glad they're helping him.
sww11685 chapter 8 . 4/16/2013
Loved the interactions between Harry and hermione, as well as what Harry and the twins got up to
The Three March Hares chapter 8 . 4/10/2013
Ok, here's my problem with the Sorting Hat:
Wouldn't it only make sense to put you in a House that would help you develop characteristics that need building to make you a more well rounded person vs. characteristics that you're over abundant in? If you're already brave and whatnot, why do you need more encouragement? Wouldn't that just lead to foolhardiness while attempting to outdo your peers? Same thing to be said on the other house characteristics, if you focus on just one or two valued characteristics and ignore others, you'll have some screwed up kids. And why would you put all of the kids with anti-social tendencies in Slytherin? That's just nuts.
BEB chapter 8 . 4/5/2013
Your mind is so full I don't know how it can processes to put it all on to paper.
Hannah chapter 8 . 4/3/2013
I'm glad that the positive bias towards Gryffindor that exists in the books doesn't exist here. I always thought it was... I can't remember what the word for it is, but like, everyone thought Gryffindor was so amazing, without much thought to the other Houses. Then again, the protagonist is a Gryffindor and not a rationalist, so maybe it's not that surprising.
Guest chapter 8 . 3/2/2013
This is brilliant. It's incredible how you've crafted this story such that it's educational yet still thoroughly enjoyable.
yoloswagmaster chapter 8 . 2/28/2013
Noo! I like Gryffie :[
hervissa chapter 8 . 2/26/2013
First of all, I would like to tell you that when I was reading the line "I'll start recruiting my fans", I choked on a water I had in my mouth and spilled it just next to my keyboard. Okay, some of it /hit/ the keyboard, but it was worth it xDDDDD
I'm glad that you didn't skip anything. This chapter was AWESOME.
But I have to admit, I had to read some things twice or more times just to really understand what the hell was that about xD ..Harry is too clever for me... ;)
I hope Hermione will get into Ravenclaw too! With those two the eagles will win the House Cap with a snap of fingers :D
...and it just occured to me that I'll maybe even learn something from this story :) The steps for a hypotesis were certainly very interesting :D
Uh, I should go to sleep now. Really. BUTTHISSTORYISSODAMNAMAZING!

hervissa :)
Guest chapter 8 . 2/20/2013
This story is absolutely mind-blowingly good. Even better than the original book.
Linda chapter 8 . 2/15/2013
I get that Harry might be on the autism spectrum, but Herione too?
CathyX1 chapter 8 . 2/11/2013
Lol "History: A Hogwarts". Haha even Hermione is confused.
tylermech66 chapter 8 . 2/9/2013
finally she gets it that the griffs arent so great
Noble Nine chapter 8 . 2/2/2013
Despite not being interested in Harry Potter in general, the twist of this fanfic and the quality with which it has been presented has pushed it high up on my list of favorite fanfics. This chapter in particular (and the previous one or two) have been exceedingly excellent, to the point that this chapter is currently the ONLY bookmarked page on my IPhone. Well done!
Enei Emmu chapter 8 . 2/2/2013
So, thus far, SPOILER a rationalist Harry Potter has allied himself with Draco Malfoy and Hermione Granger, winning over both with his knowledge of science and theses. Ron Weasley doesn't seem to be getting along with him. He already knows he'll have to fight Voldemort at some point. He intends to take over the world, without the slightest trace of being evil. He wants to be in Ravenclaw and wouldn't mind Slytherin.
This is possibly the greatest fanfiction of all time.
petalene chapter 8 . 1/25/2013
"No thank you, I'm not evil." Ha, ha, ha, ha, ha. I love your Hermione. Now I want Hermione, Harry and Draco to take over the world.
Guest chapter 8 . 1/25/2013
Awwww, poor Hermione the moment you relalise life doesn't fit into categories.
voidblade6 chapter 8 . 1/23/2013
does harry have dissociative personality disorder.
Monstruo de ojos verdes chapter 8 . 1/23/2013
Consequentialism..the end justify the means ha! the road to hell is paved with good intentions..
Harry is still young and thus will follow some philosophies such as consequentialism.. but in time i think he should grow up out of it. It's the natural way after all everyone tries different ideas while young, no matter how intelligent the person is.
The story is going well so far, i am really enjoying it. Thank you for sharing with us.
ardeth hines chapter 8 . 1/16/2013
this is getting to be not-fun. It was bad enuf when you junked Ron, but all of Gryffindor? Hm. Your world is not going to be simple, is it? Not to mention rather amazingly horribly educational. . . . .
Sardonic Irony chapter 8 . 1/8/2013
I've decided you're a genius... a writing and academic genius. By way of asking, do you personally know all of the science involved in this story or does it involve what would seem to be a terrifyingly substantial amount of reserach?
Writing bunny chapter 8 . 1/6/2013
Good chapter. I liked your interpretation of Hermione's thought process. It felt in character.
anonymous chapter 8 . 1/4/2013
"What other experiment could she do? She had a Chocolate Frog, could she try to rub some of that on the robes and see if it vanished? But that still didn't seem like the kind of twisty negative thinking the boy was asking for. Like she was still asking for a 'Yes' if the Chocolate Frog stain disappeared, rather than asking for a 'No'."

But spoiling the robe with chocolate still will disprove hypothesis "robes are magical". Then you can propose other hypothesis "pop is magical", trying to disprove it by pouring it on the floor. So, I don't see what was wrong with first experiment.
Virtual Deliverance chapter 8 . 12/21/2012
May I practice the art of pessimism by imagining the worst possible consequence for Harry's prank and posting it as a non-canonical Aftermath section, for a bit of dark humor?
What do you say? Yes? Why, thank you. All right then.

Aftermath:

After Harry's prank, Neville spent the next hours in what could only be described as post-traumatic stress disorder. The prank had worked a little too well, and as a consequence, the parts of his brain that controlled fear and contentment had gotten crosswired. Every act or experience that would have previously triggered one of those reactions, now triggered both at the same time. For this, Neville refused to leave the office of Deputy Headmistress Minerva McGonagall, in order to be around as few people as possible, as well as do as little as possible.
The following night, he had a terrible nightmare about unspeakable abominations performing random acts of kindness to him, while he felt what could only described as pure distilled terror flowing in his veins.
When he woke up, he instantly knew what he had to do: he would venture into the Forbidden Forest alone, where he would find a monster which would give him money and chocolate. In silence, he left the Hufflepuff dorms and ventured into the Forbidden Forest alone, where he found a monster that promptly ate him.

Well, what do you think? Was that pessimistic enough? :-D
Susan M. M chapter 8 . 12/19/2012
This variation of Harry has a fair bit of Artemis Fowl in him, as well as a bit of Encyclopedia Brown.
StrangeoneXD chapter 8 . 12/16/2012
Turning houses round and round, what an interesting carousel this is I've found
Dylan chapter 8 . 12/15/2012
Absolutely love this stuff, really enjoy the Science and Psychology bits. Thank you so much for taking the time to do this - I'm completely hooked!
Dan Riddle chapter 8 . 12/14/2012
Great chapter! Hermione is fantastic! ;D
Byakugan789 chapter 8 . 12/1/2012
Good, you're moving hermoine to ravenclaw like she was meant to be.
eyebox chapter 8 . 11/30/2012
You are wonderful, of this I am certain, but I still have trouble imagining even the most wonderful person alive being able to write this well.
Conclusion:
I either need to read better books, or I need to meet better people.
I am amazed, you are amazing. I have never before spazzed out at anything this much , this story is pure, unadulterated obsession-feeding-scientiffic-joy-fuel
(which is a thing).
Have a marvelous day.
-Hazel
Maran Zelde chapter 8 . 11/28/2012
The title of this fanfiction is somewhat misleading. A more accurate title would be “Harry Potter-Evans-Verres and the Methods of Rationality.” Reading the first chapter, I thought that this story would show what canon!Harry would be like if he were raised by a scientist. However, each successive chapter showed that Harry Potter-Evans-Verres shows personality traits that a different upbringing alone couldn't account for, particularly his ambition and curiosity. And a nurturing home life alone couldn't turn a child of (at best) average intelligence into a super-genius. Of course, I'm happy to accept that this is an OC who happens to share Harry Potter's name and some of his family history. But let's just call him what he is.

What really perplexes me is Draco's characterization. Confession time: I've never been a fan of Draco. He's just a magical, richer, thinner version of Dudley. In SS/PS, Harry immediately disliked Draco because he reminded him of Dudley, and Draco never did anything to disprove that first impression. However, this fanfic makes him seem like a budding Voldemort. I acknowledge that both canon!Draco and “Methods of Rationality” Draco are products of their upbringing, but that still doesn't excuse his deeply unsettling comment about raping little Luna and erasing her memory. I guess you're going somewhere with his character development, but he'll have to do a massive good, sacrificial deed to redeem himself in my eyes. Also, whatever you think about Ron's intelligence (or lack thereof), you have to admit he was exactly right about Draco's character.

Hermione is very close to her canon self, and I love the moments of humor in her thought process and reactions. Her conversation with Harry is one of the most enjoyable parts of this fanfic so far. Her books told her what to think, and now Harry is teaching her HOW to think.

(Insert smooth segue here; I've got nothing.)

In Neville's defense, if three people with their faces obscured surrounded me and laughed evilly while shoving candy at me, I'd run screaming. Harry's justification is weak in my opinion. He has no way of knowing that he did Neville more good than harm, or that Neville has already lived through more traumatic experiences than that prank. And consequentialism itself is flawed. Suppose two people get drunk and drive home in separate cars. One of them makes it home safely while the other hits and kills a pedestrian. Does that mean one drunk driver made a better decision than the other?

However, I'm very glad Harry took charge in the toad search. I'd probably have stopped reading this story if he hadn't at least offered to help.
Lazurman chapter 8 . 11/23/2012
What? Just...what? Harry, I feel more intelligent just by reading this. Good show man, jolly good show indeed!
bkaddictjk chapter 8 . 11/23/2012
Step 4: Make a cardboard poster.

If I had a can of Comed-Tea... the moment I read that sentence... that would be the moment I'd spill it over myself...
PureHearts chapter 8 . 11/5/2012
My life just got a little bit more screwed over. Night before my exams too. Thanks for that.
Guest chapter 8 . 11/4/2012
I hereby apologize for my outburst, i have been to quick to jump the conclusion. But still in some aspect, Harry is being a very evil and wicked person, manipulating one's thoughts as he did
Muirgen Monet chapter 8 . 10/26/2012
Awesome chapter! Poor Hermione. Sometimes I can relate. It can be hard to make friends.

I also like seeing Gryffindors being not perfect as well. I never bout into the whole 'Slytherin Evil' 'Gryffindors Good' thing.
janefanatic chapter 8 . 10/25/2012
Well, the last bit before Neville returns has given me a new reading list! Which of these books are your favorites? Thank you for sharing this wonderful story!
Le soleil brille pas pour toi chapter 8 . 10/23/2012
So I was told of this story a few days ago any have been making my way through it, so far enjoying it immensely as a fan of both science and wizardry, but still finding it a little difficult to get used to such a drastically different Harry.

Usually I wait until I'm all caught up in the story before reviewing, so as to have the full impression of what's happened so far, and take the time to come up with a well-rounded, constructive review... but I had to stop at this chapter and let you know that "a trembling young boy who looked exactly like he knocked" is quite possibly one of the best phrases I've ever come across.

I look forward to reading the rest!
Aynessa chapter 8 . 10/10/2012
Oh. OH.

I am so thoroughly excited to see that I've only glimpsed a fraction of this ridiculous, wonderful, hilarious story! So thoroughly in love with this so far.

For the first time in my life, I find myself enjoying science and wanting to know more - quite a feat seeing as I've had 20 years of disliking science class. Harry is both delightful and utterly terrifying. I especially love how in character everyone mostly is, with the exception of parallel Harry of course. But even he is somewhat still himself - despite having grown up differently, he still has a clear sense of what's right or wrong morally, and endeavors to correct those mistakes as soon as possible. Amusingly, he still has that pent-up rage issue...despite having grown up with a fairly kind and loving family.

Overall this series is brilliant, and I can't wait to read the rest.

I would like to add that the scene of Harry and Draco drinking Comed Tea together was absolutely one of the most hysterical thing I have ever read. I was completely unable to hold back my laughter, which is extremely unusual for me while reading! Loved that scene so much.

Thank you for an enjoyable and intelligent contribution to the world of fanfiction. They are so depressingly rare.
justmeagaininpink chapter 8 . 10/4/2012
this story is a stroke of pure genius. its ingenuity... wow. you must be clever
LordXeenTheGreat chapter 8 . 10/2/2012
WOW!
Oli chapter 8 . 10/1/2012
Ah... I feel your plot pulling me faster and faster 3 It shall certainly be necessary to reread this wonderful work of awesomeness later :D
Light Under My Skin chapter 8 . 9/24/2012
This is really interesting. Confusing. Mad. But interesting :)
The Potters of the Future chapter 8 . 9/20/2012
I don't think neville or Hermione will want to be in Gryffindor now. Hermione Ravenclaw and Neville Hufflepuff. Hufflepuff needs some more credit they are seriously underrated. Ask the Hufflepuff prefect they are all about hard work
Z.V chapter 8 . 9/14/2012
I get the distinc feeling that you did this on purpose: " 'History: A Hogwarts.' "
chai chapter 8 . 8/30/2012
wow!
i got interested in this fanfiction cause it became very popular...
it really deserved its popularity since it is great and the author is the greatest!
Tertium457 chapter 8 . 8/29/2012
very interesting story, though the six flavors of quarks are actually up down charm strange top bottom
maybe they changed the names or something
voodooqueen126 chapter 8 . 8/1/2012
Since Slytherins are shown to be consistently mean, I would say that they would be far more likely to be mean than the supposedly Jerk-Jock Gryffindor's
Poetheather1 chapter 8 . 7/28/2012
This was a completely messed up chapter in a good way. Lovely dementia. Poor Neville, gets no respect. And Hermione... now she has to work to be the smartest... YAY! Good for her.
Assymetric chapter 8 . 7/28/2012
Addicted, through and through.
AnimationNut chapter 8 . 7/26/2012
Poor Neville. I'd probably have nightmares if that happened to me xD But hey, candy and money.
Doku chapter 8 . 7/20/2012
two problems with this chapter. One the quarks are up, down, top, bottom, strange, and charm not up, down, strange, charm truth, and beauty. Two you said history; a hogwarts at the end. Great series.
Hawklan chapter 8 . 7/19/2012
Ch 6

hmm can we call Harry Pinky or Brain? :)
poor MCG :) More time with Harry and we can find her in the LongTime Ward of or wearing a pink tutu and
proclaiming she is God :)

Ch7

rofl...the thing with the can and the Quibbler...rofl...
ohh man i never liked the character of Draco but now I feel sorry for him :)

Ch 8

rofl..poor Hermione over-rolled by the big Potter Train of Chaos :)
Satirica chapter 8 . 7/16/2012
I knew Harry and Hermione would get along. Well...the way they interacted suggested upcoming friendship, but it's difficult to tell whether or not Hermione will stick with him, especially after she discovered his semi-evil streak. And the Gryffindor-bashing was another thing I liked about this chapter...while J.K. Rowling was a brilliant author, she made it seem like Gryffindor was the only House worth getting into.
landofmyth chapter 8 . 7/8/2012
Wonderful, we're already getting into House stereotypes and prejudice! I can't wait to see where this goes.
Jaol chapter 8 . 7/5/2012
Go Harry! Go! Beat those meanies!
Guest chapter 8 . 7/5/2012
Now that this chapter and those earlier have been 'brit-picked' as you put it, I felt like noting that the method of implementing this change was significantly off-putting. (Whereas changes to the content so far have not been.) The character quotes are improved by the localization of dialect, but the text surrounding them most decidedly is not. Harry calling his mother "mum" makes sense; but you as an American author and narrator describing Hermione as 'hiccoughing' does not. The method of the changes is a difference between a change in setting and a change in authorial style and what feels like a change in target audience(British readers instead of American).

I'll grant that I can see how you might feel obliged to stick to a term in your writing that the characters use, or stretch to explain their mental states using terms as they perceive them; yet I'm not certain that you can completely blend British modes of speaking into your narration and not have it subtly clash with your own American style of thought and expression, even if you allow your proof-readers to change a wide range of phrases and sentences that simply 'sound odd or uncommon' to a British ear.
Guest chapter 8 . 6/30/2012
Still gold. Joss Whedon could take lessons.
PinkMusicalCherry chapter 8 . 6/27/2012
LOL SO UNEXPECTED:

Hermione finished her drink and lowered the can.

HAHAHAHAHAHA.
Kendra chapter 8 . 6/10/2012
Hermione's NOT-photographic memory is rather Mary-Sue-ish - quite funny to see in action, but over the top. It contrasts nicely with Harry's approach to knowledge (relevant digits of pi versus all that the textbook had) but it doesn't seem necessary to have her so vastly capable. Unless you're planning something where it's vital that Hermione precisely remember some odd thing, it ought to be sufficient to just make her somebody who remembers stuff for the sake of remembering it.

Also, *this* is the way Harry's expositing ought to go. It's directly related to the story, it accomplishes something in-story, it's not a monologue-y paragraph, and it engages the reader. Not that I mind the other kind of rationality/science preaching, but I suspect this is better received by most people.

There should be more of Hermione's POV. She is just so entertaining to read.
benthor chapter 8 . 6/3/2012
"History: A Hogwarts" made my day. Failed to catch that the first time through!

One of the most fun chapters in the entire fic, there honestly is nothing to complain about.
Cytavani chapter 8 . 6/2/2012
Yeeesh, Harry Potter is a Utilitarian (or, at the least, some other form of consequentialist)? As a philosophy student, I am terrified and appalled. o.O Shame on you, Harry. Somewhere, a philosophy professor is crying. :-P (for those wondering why, you can likely find some interesting info and problems by looking it up in the Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy. It's a great online resource.)
Kyubbiman chapter 8 . 5/14/2012
You are utterlty brilliant. This story is well thought out and utterly hillarious. I have been looking for a story like this for a long time so thanks for writing it.
cherapin chapter 8 . 5/5/2012
Remembrances from conversations with my peers or near-peers when I was 11yrs old: I could hear and understand (if not comprehend) every word others said, even though they talked really fast, whether or not they were a boy or girl or whether or not they spoke with a strong, foreign accent; I considered socializing difficult, as in requiring hard work and concentration, so I read a lot of books, partly to keep from growing bored and partly as a defense mechanism from having to socialize; and, I remember precious little about being aware of others' (my peers or near-peers, remember) body language or facial expressions. For these reasons, I find this chapter credible from Hermione's perspective.
GSYH chapter 8 . 4/30/2012
I'm so guilty of Positive Bias, but damn it damn it damn it.

I found this college I liked, and I'm Positive Bias confirming why it's good over all instead of looking at all the candidates.
natsu.point chapter 8 . 4/9/2012
Interesting. I haven't realized that I actually analyzed things at a negative perspective. So that's why I can accurately form a guess because instead of expecting that I'm right, I always expect my theory to be wrong or to be precise I accept the possibility that my theory could be wrong.

The more simplistic version of the way you do it is by looking at all of angles of the problem instead of only looking at one angle - which is what most common people would do and which also lead to lead to the result of a lesser probability of being right because of an incomplete observation.

This is an interesting thing again because you have a different formula than me but both of us leads to the same result. Kinda like addition and multiplication.

Interesting. I love that word.
The Understudy chapter 8 . 4/8/2012
Harry and Hermione are quite the intellectual pair. I like how everything is displayed differently than the book- like how Gryffindor is exposed as a haughtier House (even though I always thought that anyway). I always preferred Ravenclaw.
Hidden Lines chapter 8 . 4/7/2012
That prefect was Percy. Dat Percy.

That trick with the numbers was hilarious. I'm planning on using that on the next person intelligent enough to get past step 1.

And I was wondering what happened with that Lord of Chaos thing. I KNEW it was Fred and George.

To paraphrase, "How would you like to become a Lord of Chaos?" That was hilarious. So random.
Elynne chapter 8 . 3/14/2012
Definitely one of my favorite chapters. Especially the "Lords of Chaos" part. This is the chapter when I began to want the MOR Harry as a friend.
BakaFireKitsuneSama chapter 8 . 3/13/2012
ERROR 404

The 6 quarks are up, down,strange, charm, TOP, BOTTOM not up, down, strange, charm, TRUTH, BEAUTY! :C I would really really appreciate if you fixed this error.
SqrlLrd chapter 8 . 3/12/2012
Harry reminds me of a small hyperactive Vor (I truly enjoy reading about)only crossed with a scientific dictionary.
Subsuper chapter 8 . 3/6/2012
I think that this is my favorite chapter, since it is the first one that shows that Harry is a little... off. The audience gets a glimpse of the dark side earlier, but here, Harry ignores basic ethics and takes charge over Neville without consent or even much reason, a theme that will continue in Harry's journey. He has many such flaws, which make him the type of dynamic character that I enjoy reading.
excelsia chapter 8 . 3/1/2012
so awesome so awesome so awesome!
Robbie the Phoenix chapter 8 . 2/18/2012
Okay, I got ridiculously excited when I realized this chapter was from Hermione's point of view. Hermione is almost definitely my favourite character and I absolutely love the insights you've given into her mind.

Having Harry test Hermione was very interesting, and I hope she passed (I admit, my brain might have short-circtuited at one point) because together I imagine they really *could* take over the universe.
The Blind One chapter 8 . 2/17/2012
Hermione's inner monologue is fantastic, all the more so because that was me not all that long ago. Social skills are /hard./ So... good job with that!

First time through I actually stopped and went "Truth and beauty? Huh? Oh yeah, this isn't modern day." Yay geekery.

"Who told you about me?" "Professor McGonagall." Yeah, you just keep thinking that. Me, I'm quite convinced it wasn't.

Challenging his ingenuity may make your life surreal? Try "existing in his general vicinity at all."

"Make a cardboard display." I am reminded of the later snarking at peer review in one of the omake. Personal experience, perhaps? Ah well, it deserves snarking, I say.

Aaand we have science. This would be where I properly fell in love with this fic, I think. It was funny and clever before, and I'd have kept reading on that alone, but this made me stop and think, and it impressed me.

Harry, your rationalism is impressive, but other people's minds do not always work the way you think they do. Well, at least Neville later ends up (ironically) braver than he was at that point in canon!Gryffindor House. I like Neville, for what it's worth - I hope he has something majorish to do in a future story arc.

That last line makes me think - are there ANY student Gryffindors that have much of a role later on? I know they were in the armies, and SPHEW, and so on, but I can't think of any specific thing a Gryffindor did. Neat reversal from canon.
Nintenfan81 chapter 8 . 2/14/2012
Hmm. Still enjoyable to read, but I'm getting bored/annoyed with Harry's overconfidence and the long-running tangents that tend to go hand and hand with him.
Hedgehog chapter 8 . 2/5/2012
Wow. Just... wow.

That's a really deep portrayal of Hermione and her insecurities, more used to memorizing information than lateral thinking, upon which Harry apparently thrives. I can totally feel with Hermione, at the end. That boy sure is a force to be reckoned with.

Incidentally, I loved Harry's experimenting back with the "back of holding", and it was the same here. (My theory would have been that it's any three numbers, but without Harry's advance warning I would have fallen in the same trap as Hermione did.)

And of course Harry's quib about Hermione being part of a quest made me crack up. Pure comedy gold, I've got to find a way to recommend this story to other people.
NZNerd chapter 8 . 2/3/2012
I really love your story, I get geeky about things, but I talk about this story so much that my parents sigh, as if to say, oh god, not again, and I've never gone that far with anything else. EVAR.

One of, if not the, funniest lines (in my opinion, at least) has to be when Neville starts looking around for his toad, and Hermione is shocked about the whole "Lords of Chaos" thing, and Harry says:

"I think the word you're looking for is enjoyable-"

I still fall off my chair from laughter.
eastern rosebud chapter 8 . 1/28/2012
Hilarious :) I liked the way how switching to Hermione as the centre of narrator's view shows the main hero from a different perspective.
timunderwood9 chapter 8 . 1/10/2012
"And talk about your foregone conclusions. Harry didn't really see why Hermione had been so tense about it. In what weird alternative universe would that girl not be Sorted into Ravenclaw? If Hermione Granger didn't go to Ravenclaw then there was no good reason for Ravenclaw House to exist."

This is brilliant. When I read this the first time it was the first Harry Potter fan fiction I'd ever read, so I read this and think 'of course, thats clever, obviously Hermione shouldn't be in Gryffindor when there is a house for people who like to study'. However now, with a disturbingly thorough understanding of the setting, this seems completely different.

Hermione is far more Gryffindor than Ravenclaw, and the point of Harry's thought here is actually that Harry is making a wrong assumption.
emcee31 chapter 8 . 12/31/2011
another reason for her sadness might have been the realisation that nothing would ever be the same again? Sounds like the beginning of several beautiful friendships - with HG, NL, FW and GW.
calliebairdgmail.com chapter 8 . 11/17/2011
There was a moment, reading Harry Potter when I was in fifth grade, where I was absolutely certain that it was the best, most wonderful thing I'd ever read in my entire life. I don't think another book has ever given me that same feeling since.

But this fanfiction, or the first 8 chapters, has single-handedly given me a feeling that I had come to think was only for impressionable children. I feel entertained and amused and educated and as if my life has been irrevocably changed all at the same time.

Thank you thank you thank you. I can't wait to read the rest of this.
bishifangirl chapter 8 . 11/14/2011
Wow, this is definitely a deviation from the original story. I thought at first that I would loose interest because of all the technical jargon (most of that flies over my head with feet to spare) but the story just keeps getting more and more interesting. Not to mention, it's great to see a story where the main thread driving things is logic.

I like the character changes and I really like the way that the lines between black and white are further blurred (Harry stealing the gold from his vault, talking to Malfoy, turning around the conversation about who he should and shouldn't hang out with to make Ron the unreasonable one, and the Gryffindor prefect being an ***).
Aoi Dragon chapter 8 . 11/13/2011
I'm right in the middle of reading your story and I just want to say:

Harry does not sound like Daniel Radcliffe.

Harry sounds like Benedict Cumberbatch - specifically from the BBC series Sherlock.

It's a bit alarming to mentally hear Cumberbatch's Sherlock voice coming from a person who looks kind of like Daniel Radcliffe.

Here, this should entertain you: www. youtube watch?v m4foH4HCzKA&featurerelated

Delete the spaces of course.

I'm going to continue reading.

~Aoi Dragon
EpitomyofShyness chapter 8 . 11/9/2011
Oh I love it! I can't stop reading!
ShadowDragon010 chapter 8 . 11/4/2011
Hermione seems very realistic of your average bookworm. Harry's interacting with others gets more intersting with each person.
HayleyComet chapter 8 . 11/4/2011
I can definitely see why this story has so many reviews XD
Asparagus chapter 8 . 10/14/2011
I would like to inform you that each chapter I read makes me laugh aloud in evil glee, which I don't get to do very often unless I'm watching Doctor Who on netflix. Because of this, however, I feel obligated to write a review and this stalls my reading and makes me a sad panda, so I will try to stop writing reviews for a while and see if I can actually read the chapters together instead of one at a time.

Thank you for contributing to the world using awesome fanfiction and actually teaching people things in the process, because I had not heard of the test used here and I will probably use it one people at parties and whatnot for the rest of my life. I might have learned about it otherwise, but not at this point in time.

This review was much longer than anticipated and defeated its original purpose.

Darn it.
Subham Soni chapter 8 . 10/11/2011
The six quarks have been wrongly mentioned.

They are UP, DOWN, TOP, BOTTOM, STRANGE and CHARM and not UP, DOWN, TRUTH, BEAUTY, STRANGE and CHARM. Please correct the same.
Toratchi888 chapter 8 . 10/6/2011
I am beginning to believe the world is not as simple as I believe it to be... and that includes Harry Potter...

I LIKE IT!
DerAndere chapter 8 . 10/3/2011
First of all - Wow!

This is the first story I ever read, which had me laughing at the first meeting of Harry and Draco. Really well done, that one!

I also like the whole approach to take the magic world at a scientific angle. I read some stories out there, where Harry uses the whole range of possibilities magic offers, but not from that very basic level. Well as an engineer I may be a sucker for that.

I think that Harry might be a bit forceful when dealing with McGonnagal but maybe it's really just the frustration of grown-ups never taking him seriously, so that may be not too much out of character for a genius in a eleven year olds body. It may even be just his ominous dark persona emerging, of which I am sure to read much more later on.

But all different Harry and alternate universe stuff aside - the Weasly family one hour early at the Hogwarts Express? Unbelievable!

*ranting done, reading on* ;)
snarkcheezey.org Snark-n-Moon chapter 8 . 10/1/2011
To begin, let me apologize for any typos I will probably make. I am using a keyboard that seems to not want to work half the time.

You said to wait till chapter ten to see if the story was worth my time. I haven't even started chapter eight yet, and I can honestly say this:

Woah.

To expand on that thought- It is, indeed, worth the time. Not only is the story entertaining, but I feel like I am being enlightened. It has been a long time since something has made me stop and consider the way I (or others) think. Made me, with eagerness an giddiness, absorb everything I was reading. And even giving me epiphanies on was that society (and the world) works around me.

My mind naturally lives in this middle ground world of analytically and imaginative thinking. Of a world of science and romanticism creativity. But it has been so long since I've picked up anything that appealed to my natural inner scientist, that I almost forgot it existed. It's been a thrill discovering it, and flexing its muscles.

You have a new reader,and I eagerly can't wait for my ways f thinking to be challenged more.
AR chapter 8 . 9/20/2011
I get what you mean about consequences...but I think that motives play a role in it as well. A poorly executed evil act does not necessarily negate the meanness of the action simply because it did not produce the desired effect..

Also...this boy is strange. I find it intriguing how he can dissociate his feelings from his thoughts. I know that people consider that a sign of psychopathy (especially his conversation with Draco in the previous chapter) but I dont think there is enough evidence to make that conclusion.
Sabregas chapter 8 . 8/31/2011
absolutely LOVED the bit between harry & hermione, really really well written, incredibly engaging and thoroughly entertaining

please keep up the excellent work!
madeyemarauder chapter 8 . 8/29/2011
Sory for not logging in: I must have hit a wrong key, and now they won't let me sign unless I can decipher a convoluted mess.

Anyway, that was another brilliant chapter. I realised early on that it was going to be, when I read

Magic ran in families, and Michael Verres-Evans couldn't even walk.

Great stuff!
Reader123456789 chapter 8 . 8/28/2011
I'm making an exception to my rule. Hermonie is in love with Harry.
silence chapter 8 . 7/28/2011
Ah, just as I thought: young wizards seem to base their opinions of Houses on behaviour of students sorted in each House. and it may impact their own sorting. There is something twisted about this Harry. Arrogance and power to intimidate alien to canon Harry. Something definitely OOC, or it may be sort of mental disorder. Or maybe it is his Horkrux side, he has something common with Tom Riddle (the side too evil for being simple Slytherin side). On the other hand his gentleness and tender-heartness displayed in Diagon Alley is much like original Harrys. Seems like he was splitted in two characters infiltrating each other. And why did he vomit in earlier chapter? Thats intriguing.

Conversation with Draco Malfoy about science was great. Fusion of science and magic related themes is a good idea, the one that came to me when I was reading HP books.
Isa Knightwalker chapter 8 . 7/10/2011
Harry seems a bit annoying at times (I can see why Hermione would be annoyed). Haha the sorting was interesting. I don't really like the Gryffindor bashing though (I'm not really a fan of character bashing in general) since they really aren't all that bad. I also like that Neville went to Hufflepuff though since I think that house is rather nice and tends to get undervalued by the books and fans in general.

Ghostbusters song made me laugh :3
Dariuchka chapter 8 . 6/30/2011
I am incredibly hooked to his story. I always thought Harry's background was wholly inconsistent with his character. Now, allow me to auto-seer: I just know that I am going to read this story till I drop off from sheer exhaustion or by reaching the final chapter all the while getting my undying hope stamped down in every chapter (because it seems like it's set out to be a Harry/Hermione story yuck even more boring than Draco/Hermione) but despite that I would read and re-read and re-re-read the story again from the start because I am masochistic like that and then proceed to recommend the story to every fandom friends I have (who are all Drarry-crazed) because I am sadistic like that. All in that order. Congratulations for writing such a story that creates madness and make me leave an incoherent review.

Oh and I also predict "Methods of Rationality" becoming a fandom of itself complete with "fanfictions" and "fanarts" and "fanclubs". Congratulations even more!
Diz chapter 8 . 6/26/2011
I like that your spider potion had everything in 8s. So clever.

It impresses me that you'd make up this whole tea experiment just to show how Hermione reacts to logic.

Why must you demonize Gryffindor? What's the deal?

I feel like I know too many people with personalities like your Harry...

Sorry my reviews are becoming less thoughtful. I just keep reading and as it gets later and later, I no longer write coherently. (It's now like 4am thanks.)
Tamara Collins-Parks chapter 8 . 6/24/2011
I work in a bilingual teaching credential program & so am very interested in how well this induces teens (& adults) to think & reason. Also, your novella is well written, characterized & plotted - I am having lots of fun reading it. Since you seem to enjoy logical arguments, I have a few to offer . . .

First - speaking from the adult side of the fence, Mc Gonnagal was reasonable in operating from the assumption that an 11 year old would need to be guided in the use & rate of use of his gold galleons. Most 11 year olds are poor on long-range planning. She did not yet know Harry and did not have time to test her generalization. That she was willing to learn differently says a lot for her but if she'd failed to some to a conclusion based on one day of evidence, then it would not necessarily mean that she should be written off. Harry's father is another matter - he can be justifiably censured since he has had ample evidence and persists in acting as if Harry is unreasonable. In my parenting experience, things do turn into power struggles sometimes (generally a negative situation on both sides) but generally the more responsible a child proves him or herself, the more responsibility (& self determination) a parent allows.

Second, consequential reasoning, as applied to the desensitivity training of Neville, has two fundamental flaws, (a) it ignores immediate consequences (such as being freaked out), & (b) Harry ignores the possibility that there may be a third solution that would allow them to desensitize without further traumatizing the child. Logically speaking, if death eaters can walk up to you & give you candy without anyone stopping them, they might also be able to walk up to you and kill you without anyone stopping them. This is not very reassuring. Lastly, Neville had not consented to the treatment so the interaction was a violation of his rights & personal space.

Of course Harry is just 11 and also my reasoning might be flawed.

Best wishes - please write something that can be published & purchased.

Tamara Collins-Parks
Baahubali chapter 8 . 6/22/2011
Hermione finally meets her match! Can't wait for Harry vs Dumbledore!
ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWQYZ1234 chapter 8 . 6/15/2011
Just a fact I remembered about the last chapter.

Scabbers is dead? Sirius wont escape? I love Sirius please tell me that in the future chapters harry discovers that Sirius was charged without a trial! Harry needs Sirius because hes too grown up for his own damn good!

Anyway I am going to read now.

the 2-4-6 task was really good! I enjoyed that but I have to admit I am already finding Hermione annoying... hopefully if the relationship grows between them, she ill become more of a friend but I will just have to wait and see.

The ending was great! I hope Harry helps Neville with his timidness and I will love to see what Harry will say to the prefects! I can just imagine him shouting something about 'not wanting to join Griffindor because he isn't worthy' that would be hilarious!
Zaru chapter 8 . 6/14/2011
Mpreg? That's a joke right? Is the pairing HarryxHermoine? Please let it be so!

Report to me back on this stat! Please! I don't want a fic as good as this mired in that!
Slayer End chapter 8 . 6/5/2011
I've read and reread this entire story from start to most recently Updated and I must say, sir, you make excellent work.

What's more, in the span of about a month, I've become a milestone Reviewer for this story twice. I am not only the 12500th Reviewer... I am now also the 12700th Reviewer.

I will once again say, I will CRY if you mention me in a chapter.

...I really will.

But in all seriousness, I have a genuine question: What's next? After this, you're probably going to do book 2, but you've been at book 1 for so long that I can barely imagine how challenging it'll be for you to switch from Sorcerer's Stone to Chamber of Secrets.

...Or will it? Perhaps, this logical Harry will meet the Basilisk with a gaze that sees past petrification?

What's more, what are your plans for other fics (if you have any)? There's no way you can keep the first book in the HP series going past a hundred chapters... it HAS to end eventually! So, all in all, what's your plan for the future?

Or are we just going with Chaos's plan of making plans until no plans can be made...?

...Geeze, this is confusing.

Once again, please, mention me. I'd really like that as a favor of sorts...

Forever Signed in Blood,

Slayer End
Death by manga chapter 8 . 6/5/2011
I know I should really stop and wait , but I must review again!

Beautiful. Using the Scientific Theory to analyze the effects of a spell is beautiful. But I must say, now that Harry and Ron aren't friends, how are Hermione and Ron supposed to fall in love?

Wonderful!
Nomsterli chapter 8 . 6/5/2011
Wonderful and very very promising!
Clownwithachainsaw chapter 8 . 6/4/2011
Okay, Hermione's introduction? Just pure wizard. I'm making up a new word for amazing, brilliant, and outstanding, simply because a certain word from Mary Poppins isn't cutting it.
X-elemental chapter 8 . 6/4/2011
Okay, I g2sleep nao, but I might mention some things at this point such as...

-Harry is Possession Sue.

-However, it is quite entertaining.

-Also, the quarks didn't have to be called that. It is a horrible name compared to some alternatives. In fact, the one who first made theory on them had his article rejected by Nature for he had no scientific credit. However, his mentor saw his thesis, changed "aces" to "quarks" and got accepted with the same article and hailed sky high afterwards.

If you believe this is not true...well, tbh, I read it on Cracked and didn't check it afterwards. However, I do totally believe that aces is much more cooler and would have much more kids interested in nuclear science.
chaSing b0b chapter 8 . 6/2/2011
Hey :) Don't know where you got the truth and beauty quarks from. They're called Top and Bottom
Sorrowman 9000 chapter 8 . 6/1/2011
Harry scares me. I think he's Doctor Doom's prodigy or something.

All in all though, good fic.
FmaFan10 chapter 8 . 5/23/2011
wow this chapter was greaT! very informative! excellent. lol harry so funny when it comes to nevel
x chapter 8 . 5/18/2011
You've inspired me to get to the next stage of making my life peculiar.
iphis17 chapter 8 . 5/1/2011
Like many others of my generation, I read the Harry Potter series as an extremely small child. I was never struck with the desire to 'believe' in Hogwarts, or wait five years for an acceptance letter.

Looking back, if the universe conceptualised here was the one I was exposed to, I may well would have.

That last sentence confused me. Apparently I need to improve my grasp of English grammar.

~Mademise Morte
typo chapter 8 . 4/27/2011
Not sure if this was on purpose because of Hermione's twisted mind, but in the 3rd to last paragraph the book is referred to as History: A Hogwarts. I am enjoying the story otherwise. Thank you for creating it.
MouetteHeartsErik chapter 8 . 4/12/2011
*giggles* Draco and Harry. Not in any, ahh, slashy way, but quickly becoming one of my favorite parts of a great read. I love their exchanges, absolutely love them. Poor Ron... ahh well.

And the Order of the Chaos. Oh heavens :D
Smooth Trooper chapter 8 . 3/3/2011
The more I read this the more I want to learn well...everything in this lol
The StrayXIII chapter 8 . 3/1/2011
I'm reading a fan fiction and I'm actually learning something! This is so much fun, but still, I got a lot more to read!
Goldrune09 chapter 8 . 2/27/2011
Thank god you're not making this a slash fic! I would have probably had an aneurism or something because this is an awesome fic!
jessj chapter 8 . 2/23/2011
i like this story
AnFan-n-More chapter 8 . 2/22/2011
I love how you have an intimidated Hermione. :)

You may have wanted to increase that last bit of back and forth at the end: "The ensuing quiz and counter-quiz went on for several minutes before being interrupted by another timid knock at the door." The reason being, that you are implying in this sentence that Hermione developed some energy in her communications with Harry, but it doesn't show with only that one sentence and you have to think twice before it is evident.

I also like how you've shot and if not killed canon Hermione, that you've wounded her severely. :) The biting whit is fun to read.
August Mayhem chapter 8 . 2/20/2011
Oh gosh! I am loving this story! I favorite'd about 10 days after you first posted, very surprising now (I usually look at updates rather than publishings). I love this story! It's absolutely incredible. Draco and Harry in Madam Malkins makes me laugh EVRY SINGLE TIME, for long periods of time and it's fantastic.

Harry and Hermione was great, I quite enjoyed the dumbfounded!Hermione, it was a nice change. I also like HP's interaction with Draco, though I am a little wary of Draco at this current point in time.

I am impossibly impressed, as a reader/fan as well as an author that you've put out an amazing story consisting of 65 (Very long D) chapters in 11 months. I'm stupefied, quite literally. That's beyond incredible!

Anyway, just wanted to say thanks for posting such an amazing story and I hope I can see it through until it's completed.

All the best!

August
ARMH chapter 8 . 2/20/2011
"(It said almost everything you needed to know about Hermione Granger that she had never let that stop her, or even let it interfere with her love of being tested.)"

After reading that, I'm a little disappointed with how obnoxious Hermione gets about losing to Harry in the army battles.
Tashie chapter 8 . 2/20/2011
Hermione Granger's mind flashed back, she hadn't realized she would be tested on those books so she'd read them only once, but it was just a month ago so the material was still fresh in her mind. Yeah JUST a month...

Awww poor Hermione, all will become clear... no... actually no it doesn't... hmm..

Tashie xo
Avi chapter 8 . 2/3/2011
When Hermione "finishes her drink" it sounds as though she has gone through a whole can without a spit take, then later when she does spit it out it becomes clear that "finishes her drink" just means that she swallows the sip she has in her mouth.

Despite it being a parody of a story I know, this manages to remain fairly unpredictable.
Markus Ramikin chapter 8 . 1/30/2011
This story is pure awesome. I'm being entertained, being told a good story, made to laugh, made to think and actually taught things I haven't thought of - or at least haven't thought to express them quite as well.

Thank you, Author.
a fine mess098 chapter 8 . 1/28/2011
Not to be to criticising, but the six quark flavours are 'up, down, top, bottom, strange and charm' I dont know if things have changed since you wrote this story but evidence seems to lead to these titles being the appropriate headings. I thought it important to mention as clearly you felt it was important to mention.
Zee chapter 8 . 1/28/2011
Sir, I am thus far thoroughly impressed by your interplay between characters and hilarious plot situations. An amazing work of fiction, which I fear will keep me up for the next few nights as I rush to catch up. Perhaps my impatience reflects poorly on my methodology as a student, but that is a separate matter.

Regardless, I am becoming increasingly interested in which books you have read, as you make mention of several throughout this fiction. Furthermore, while I do believe that it is possible to be a natural in the art of persuasion, I find it highly implausible that even a natural genius can explain the finer, more subtle points of this art without thorough reading. I kindly request that you share your book list on your profile, that perhaps many more people can become enlightened in this field than just myself.

Absolutely riveting story, I look foward to the following chapters.

~Zee
Flamey9371 chapter 8 . 1/26/2011
Ok i just started reading your fanfic and at the end of this chapter all i can say is I want your fanfiction babies this is one of the most clean clear cut and concise Fanfics i have read i enjoy how you took the approach of having harry being moree scientific and how he embraced magic and is trying to make it work with sicence i apologize in advance for y atrocious spelling but i am too excited and felt i must send you this review before continuing with this masterpeice of fanfiction it is a beautiful fic and i can't wait until it is finished i am really excited as to how you are going to approach this story.
LovelySnakes chapter 8 . 1/25/2011
Bice I like.
The Fuzy Llama chapter 8 . 1/14/2011
If I could favorite this story five times, I would. No, make that ten times. Plus the hard work and effort to convince friends, acquaintances, and family to do the same. Kudos! It's hard to find a story that makes me laugh as much as this one has and yet at the same time is intelligently written and has so many things for me to type into google. I've never seen a fanfiction (and scarely ever a book) that presents the argument of science so convincingly.
dementedumlauts chapter 8 . 1/11/2011
Please. What is the name of and who are the authors of these "very, very best sort of books"

And just so you know I keep getting derailed by the juicy sciency bits and I have so many more non-fiction books I need to get my hands on now then I'll be able to read in a reasonable time frame and just.. THANK YOU!
CHARbones chapter 8 . 1/10/2011
This fic is wonderful. I skipped the first chapter (I don't know why, I'll end up going back and reading it later) and read til chapter 8 and I have to stop and review because I've laughed so many times my cat glared a very perturbed glare and leaped off my lap to find a more stable place to sleep.

And, the cat's apparent anger forced my attention away from the fic mid-chapter and I thought then about reviewing because you deserve to know that your fic is in my singular opinion, wonderful.

So if you ever write yourself a fiction book, please self promote on your FFN profile and I assure you I will find it and buy it... unless it is priced above 30 american dollars. If it is I will wait for the price to slowly drop. I'd ask you not to be offended by this, however if you are, there is not much I can do to alleviate this other than buying the book and reading it anyways.
jada951 chapter 8 . 1/7/2011
wow. this is pretty mind boggling FF.

amazing. interesting. fun and I'm glad I'm not Hermoine!
Ao yuki chapter 8 . 1/7/2011
You're absolutely AMAZING and I could kiss you. Do you study psychology, by any chance...?

In any case, you're awesome.
Tangshou chapter 8 . 1/3/2011
"PC or NPC, that is the question?"

"I didn't say you said you were Hermione Granger, I just said you were Hermione Granger."

There's more great parts but I won't bother you with more of your own writing.
Gelacacine chapter 8 . 12/13/2010
There are three types of genius's in the world:

Book Genius's / School Genius's Hermione Granger

People Genius's / Manipulative Bastards Draco Malfoy

Rationalist Genius's / Chaotic to those who don't understand Harry Potter
MungoJerry chapter 8 . 12/13/2010
Oh, Harry! You can your lack of ethics!
Tremario chapter 8 . 12/8/2010
Yay this story is amazing! I am just on chapter 8, and I already love it...I've been looking for a scientific story like this one for a while. Thanks, I will continue to read with great alacrity :)
NCGeniusGirl chapter 8 . 12/6/2010
I believe the 6 quarks are up, down, charm, strange, top and bottom.
Los Grotos chapter 8 . 12/4/2010
They should be in Ravenclaw together.
Metaltaco chapter 8 . 11/29/2010
Oh go, at this rate im gonna end up pulling an all nighter and sleep through all my classes tommorow, i suppose its worth it.
Matthew Fallshaw chapter 8 . 11/29/2010
Excellent.
I owe you feedback chapter 8 . 11/27/2010
...but I can't stop reading long enough to write it.

Your writing is wonderful.

Gratefully,

Mickey.
nachtdemon chapter 8 . 11/27/2010
I doubt if you can keep up this level of brain-crack writing my head will make it till the end of the story. But congrats from all asperine making company's in the world.
JellyfishBlues chapter 8 . 11/26/2010
I haven't laughed that hard in a while.

I applaud you. And it is friggen early, so I just pissed off my roommate.

See ya.
Cringo chapter 8 . 11/25/2010
Not the coming together that I was rooting for...but at the end of the chapter the saying, be careful what you wish for comes to mind. I hope you have Hermione developing a backbone and not be so scaredy cattish.
Mind's III chapter 8 . 11/21/2010
In chapter 8, Harry seems to have assimilated the 'dark lord lives on and only you can destroy him' pretty well, especially since he hasn't actually heard any details - him treating it all as a cliche story quest or computer game quest is pretty hilarious, particularly "PC or NPC, that is the question".

This version's Hermione annoys me for some reason I can't describe well. I think it's the combination of eleven-year-old naivety and fearsome intellect, or perhaps her strong unexamined moral stances. Something with her thinking, anyway. I'm glad she's at least a step ahead of Harry in not fearing a mere word, talking about "he who must not be named though I don't know why not".

Another pretty good chapter.
Melverne chapter 8 . 11/18/2010
That was an interesting meeting between two great minds. Hermoine is definitely what I would call book smart but Harry is a genius. He is definitely a thinker and it looks like he can teach Hermoine to be one too. If she gets over her quirk of blindly trusting authority figures and believing everything she reads the two of them will be a nightmare for Hogwarts.

-Melverne
Jeremy Black chapter 8 . 11/12/2010
I was really loving this, especially the first bits. But I'm starting to realize that a perfectly rational person being glorified for it is just as unreasonable as a perfectly gullible one. Basically, the reactions Harry gets from people are very VERY skewed from real life. People don't doff age bias, or similar things after a bit of discussion with someone they have the bias against.

In a way, it feels more like 'magic' rationalism. Arguments so convincing they break the laws of socialogy. I think ultimately reeling back Harry's responses a bit, and focusing more on the incongruities and what not would make for a better read. It starts sounding a bit like a Skeptic Manifesto.

Also, having Harry quote studies, books, laws, etc seems to make it sound like he isn't internalizing things well.

I do enjoy the spins of it, but I just can't read past about chapter 8. Thanks for the writing though!
Arturo Vandorien chapter 8 . 11/5/2010
haha oh my God, I laughed so hard when Harry described what the lords of chaos did to neville. Oh man I hope there's more of those three in the future. It would make this story 8 kinds of more awesome than it already is. haha dancing around him and giving him candy, giving him money and then running away screaming when he says go away. hahaha oh wow!
AspergianStoryteller chapter 8 . 11/2/2010
Interesting. And funny. I'm at home now, so I was able to cackle nice and loudly. I like Grythindor but the House is a bit overrated yes. Each Hogwarts House has it's good and bad qualities and students.
Guest chapter 8 . 10/31/2010
Very nice! If you'd like figuring out something like the 2-4-6 rule with fellow bayesians; you will definitely enjoy Mao the card game (good wikipedia entry exists). Strong recommendation from all fellow physicists I have tested it on yet.

Cheers,

Anonymous Physicist
fukuji mihoko chapter 8 . 10/25/2010
I don't know what to say other than this story is really amazing. It's written so well!

-is in awe-

Also, in regards to ch7, it always annoyed me in the HP books when wizards were all 'haha, muggles are so backwards' when muggles have things like the internet and tv and (like you said) space travel, which wizards don't have. Yeah c:
w chapter 8 . 10/24/2010
Also, can't imagine really how Quirrell is going to convince Harry in 51 - one person in pain should hardly justify the risks, given he doesn't spend his Galeons on hungry children. Also, I mean really, he might not care about government, but the risk of Hogwarts expulsion should be quite high for him not to rush into whatever Q proposes.

Good things:

The whole business of meeting people had never seemed sensible to her. But there are manuals.

She wished some other girl would just walk up to her and say, "Hermione, the teacher told me to be friends with you." Oh, that's ironic, didn't notice on the first reading.

Slithering sound, eh. Forgot to mention, Luggage is a nice reference. I want an annotated version once this completes (hopefully in a very distant future, hpmor is of way too high quality to become finished).

PC or NPC - nice touch.

Oddly disturbing fashion.

She'd met someone from inside a book... I'm in a book. Nice meta. I still hope you won't make them find this out, this would suck.

Very nice introduction of Hermione altogether.

Well well well well well... sounded like a book.

Blatantly impossible.

35 years.

Surreal - the surreal parts got less pronounced further down the line, I hope they will return.

Testing banana.

Steps including 4.

Almost everything you needed to know.

Shyer than expected - alas, not so much of this further down the line.

Who would give candy to a child - funny.

you're asking the wrong question. The question is, did it do more good than harm, or more harm than good? Ah, didn't we have exactly the same discussion quite recently too.

I still want my reference list.

One too many brain hiccup on Hermions's side, I think.

History: a hogwarts - funny.
strange72191 chapter 8 . 10/17/2010
As batty as this all is to read, I really enjoy your writing style-it makes it...work...could be the word...anyway. Makes me wonder why you're spending your time on fan fiction too...
Indigo Ziona chapter 8 . 10/16/2010
I love the summary of Hermione's character at the beginning of this chapter. Apart from the extreme intelligence, it sounds awfully like me when I started secondary school... Of course I wasn't shy, except I had no idea how to make friends...

I really love how you've woven your story around the Philosopher's Stone plot :)
Maxmilianus chapter 8 . 10/15/2010
You're a terrific writer.
Kutta chapter 8 . 10/7/2010
great chapter
SablePhoenix chapter 8 . 10/6/2010
Don't know exactly why but I LOVE THIS LINE: "His trunk scurried in after him, grew to three times its former diameter and snuggled up next to her own in an oddly disturbing fashion."

Brilliant!
LunaSlashSea chapter 8 . 10/5/2010
Excellent as always. Positive bias should really be taught and reinforced throughout all schooling starting from an early age.
Nakedkali chapter 8 . 10/4/2010
Some of these books are hard to find. Some author's names, even if including them here would stilt teh converstaion and they don't quite fit the story style, would be good.
dinosaurusgede chapter 8 . 10/4/2010
Great chapter! i love this hermione & absolutely adore you harry.
Eli Courtwright chapter 8 . 10/2/2010
I'm a software engineer, and your description of the 2-4-6 game really resonated with me. When testing software, so many people make the mistake of only making sure that the software succeeds when they expect. They fail to make sure that it also fails when they'd expect.

For example, you write some code that checks whether a number is prime, and then they ONLY test it on prime numbers. It always returns "true", so you assume that the code works. But you ALSO need to give it some numbers which are NOT prime and confirm that it returns "false", or else you haven't REALLY tested it.

This is one of my favorite chapters for giving such an entertaining and pithy example of this principle.
Sabrinasidd chapter 8 . 9/27/2010
Harry's first meeting with Hermione was AWESOME! It's second ONLY to Draco's first meeting with Harry, as far as 'most awesome introductions' go! lol!

Thanks for helping me learn a little about rational experimentation, and the proper way to arrive at a correct solution to any problem. First you have to find out what DOESN'T work before you find the right answer. It sounds so obvious, but it takes a quick trick like Harry's experiment to show it in full. THANKS for that, LessWrong!
E.A.V chapter 8 . 9/26/2010
Force of personality, yes!
Libera chapter 8 . 9/12/2010
Just by the way, the six quarks are up, down, top, bottom, strange, charm. Not truth and beauty.
Serpent In Red chapter 8 . 9/11/2010
*giggles* So I stand corrected. Harry does want to take over the universe.

Oh dear, I share poor Hermione's feelings. I would have stuck my wand in his ear if I met someone so annoying.

Loved the "desensitization therapy" administered by Harry and the Weasley twins.

Ohhh, you had me thinking of Voldemort again, when Harry was all "it doesn't matter if an act looks bad as long as the consequences are good."

Not to mention you have me thinking where you're going to go with this - in a good way, of course. Since that will mean that I probably will be anxiously waiting for the next chapter when I reach the last chapter you have up.

~Serp
Tall Tails - Feline Jaye chapter 8 . 9/5/2010
Thank you! I get that the books have a POV bias - but Gryffindor is always painted in a light that's better than it's actions tend to deserve. Aside from the usual praise, that is all.
Donteatacowman chapter 8 . 8/21/2010
XD That Neville incident (and how Harry described it) was HILARIOUS! XD

"...Now, there's a saying that the fear is often worse than the thing itself-" Hm, just was I was saying a little while ago. Perhaps this was what Harry's mother had in mind when she made him go return the pan to their neighbors despite the muggings in their area. I wonder if he's realized this yet...

I don't know if that doing-more-good-than-harm thing would always be applicable. I mean, aren't there some things that, no matter what good would come because of them, can't be redeemed? Not everything is black and white, but aren't there barriers? Wouldn't you regret doing something evil that brought about good (and I realize these are loaded and culturally-defined words)? I don't have any examples or proof, but that's just my thoughts on that morality... You know, the whole "utopia justifies the means" thing. Especially when the outcome of those harmful actions wouldn't necessarily be predictably positive.
Cuckoo Cloud Lander chapter 8 . 8/15/2010
It's always kind of disappointing when people realize that Gryffindor really isn't that great. It's like when the kid you're babysitting hears that Santa Claus isn't real, and part of you wants to say, 'No, he's real' and the other part wants to say 'Well... yes. He's fake.'

How sad. Anyway, another fantastic story. I kind of feel like I shouldn't be reading it since I can't do anything very spectacular in terms of maths or sciences, I've never been a prodigy, and I don't have anything memorized in particular.

But I read it anyway...
Lord Loco chapter 8 . 8/12/2010
This is genius. It's downright brilliant! You've managed yet another chapter that's made me cackle like a witch gone bad. Very well done.

Funny logic! It's clearly a field that merits further examination.
Malfoie chapter 8 . 8/2/2010
Ok I got through 8 of the chapters to this story and the plot and story line are good but. I just can't read another chapter of Harry talking that way. I just can't keep up with it. sorry.
MBM1952 chapter 8 . 7/10/2010
I just wanted to mention, the episode where Harry Potter makes Hermione think that snapping his fingers made the green stain disappear from her clothes reminded me of a story (probably apocryphal) about Christopher Columbus and the Indians in a book I read when I was about 7. Columbus was trying to establish himself in the Indians' minds that he (Columbus) was a godlike entity, and knew that a solar eclipse was imminent. So he told the Indians that at a certain time he was going to make the sun disappear temporarily. And when it did right on schedule, the Indians were impressed as Columbus had intended.

Ah, my associative mind .. nothing less than magical!
Naramyon chapter 8 . 7/9/2010
...At first, I thought that the two scarf-wrapped people were Fred & George.

Then, I thought that 'Order of Chaos' was something that Harry would create.

Now? - You're a genius.

[Finishes reading the rest of the chapter.]

Oh.

Never mind. Forget everything I just said. (That's what I get for beginning to review before finishing the chapter.)

Mwahahhahaha! Hermione and Neville have been converted from the EVIL Gryffindor ways!

This is hilarious!

And I am impressed with your constant use of advanced vocabulary and scientific terminology.

Either you're a Science Major or you did your homework. - Both are commendable.

While this story IS hilariously comedic, it's not very interesting in itself. - So far, this is a case of lots of content, but little plot.

Currently, I consider Methods of Rationality a 'Must Read' for HP fanfic writers. - A 'Classic' if you will. Something that all works should be compared to.

And no, I am NOT flattering. I am simply stating my own opinion. (And maybe Wolfkin's. We'll have to see his reviews, now won't we?)

~ Zoa Naramyon
Reddragon13x chapter 8 . 7/5/2010
What exactly are third generation quarks? I feel rather foolish for asking, but it would bug me otherwise.
The Midnight poster chapter 8 . 7/4/2010
I must say that you have a unique sence of humor. Think this is the first story where I can laugh and learn at the same time.
James Birdsong chapter 8 . 6/23/2010
Eerie but good.
Plumbum chapter 8 . 6/17/2010
Poor Hermione :-)
Guyro chapter 8 . 6/14/2010
i loved your character interaction between harry and hermione

whats the ship in this story going to be? im hoping for harry/hermione (please)

i love all the elements in this and i like the magical things you are making up yourself - please continue (i mentioned earlier, this is my favourite thing in harry potter fanfiction reading teh authors own thought up magical items and spells etc.)

i like your story sooo much im begging you to go all seven years of hogwarts and maybe a bit after - and im hoping you will do as harry says and have him tear down/break the statute of secrecy - this is something i have wanted to read in a story for ages now but i havent seen it and this story has the potential

maybe i should make a challenge
Psalmy chapter 8 . 6/9/2010
Wait, so are you educating me in this? Oh, the HORROR! *runs away screaming*

Hey thanks.
LB chapter 8 . 6/7/2010
I really enjoyed this story so far. The scientific Harry is definitely a fan fiction cliche but you have made this story unique. In other stories I've read they claim that Harry is smart but in this you prove that he is. I have to say this is one of my favorite types of stories and one that I don't come across very often. Stories like this don't just make me enjoy the plot but make me pause and just think about the concepts being explained by the characters. Instead of just enjoying a tale, I feel like I'm learning something. It makes me feel both ignorant and glad to be reading something that explains ideas that I would never have come up with myself. Thank you for such an enjoyable read.
sastath chapter 8 . 6/2/2010
Oh Percy the prat. Harry kind of reminds me of Val Kilmer from Real Genius or Malcom from Malcom in the Middle.
Mother of Tears chapter 8 . 6/1/2010
The Lords of Chaos... I knew that had to be Fred and George. But to have Harry a part of it. Brilliant! His dad's love of practical jokes without the cruel motives. What fun!
Animekitty47 chapter 8 . 5/26/2010
Hermione's POV is awesome. And it fits her too. XD Excellent chappie. :D
bipocni chapter 8 . 5/23/2010
i'm onto your tricks. your little game with hermione gave it all away. however, i approve, and will definitely continue to read this story.

ps. this story is awesome
Mr.Destructo chapter 8 . 5/20/2010
omg a review!
Tangerine-Alert chapter 8 . 5/13/2010
Hurrah! Hermione's broken!

Brilliance, amazing, pure fun, brilliantly brilliant!
Loonynamelass chapter 8 . 5/13/2010
Lol, of course utilitarianism has to come up in a story like this! If only she had been able to retort with a Daentological standpoint! AHH! Though I admit, I wouldn't have known philosophy as an eleven year old, it would have been cool if Hermione had... *sigh*

But anyways, I am loving the amazing everything. It's not just the science that's feeding my nerdiness, no. I would respond to more, but I want to read onward!
Greytune chapter 8 . 5/11/2010
That science speech Harry gave Draco last chapter? I'm a little turned on.

By science.

Seriously.

"Honestly, I don't think he needed our help to have nightmares, and if he has nightmares about this instead, then it'll be nightmares involving horrible monsters who give you chocolate and that was sort of the whole point."

Nightmares about monsters giving out chocolate... I could get used to it.

(Also, that was the most epic and awesome story ever. Fred and George are totally the kind of people who would do something like that.)

"She felt as if she'd just been run over by a steamroller and turned into a pancake."

I think we all do, honey.
DrangoWings chapter 8 . 5/7/2010
great story, but please don't mind me pointing this out, near the end you wrote history:a hogwarts and its hogwarts:a history. as i said great story, and i hope it continues
A Bibliophile chapter 8 . 5/2/2010
Once again this story has made my day, this time with its Agents of Chaos.
MegaB chapter 8 . 4/26/2010
Well that was...anti-climactic.

I think they're onto something with all these psychological theories. I totally expected way too much and was then disappointed by the real occurrence.

Sucks.

Why can't real-life be like that just for once?

~B
TxA-GunFighter chapter 8 . 4/20/2010
Very good chapter.

Gunny
Melusinahp chapter 8 . 4/19/2010
I'm not sure you realise it, but Draco's line about raping Luna is very triggering. In such a light, otherwise humorous story "When I'm old enough to get an erection I'm going to rape that bitch" came out of nowhere and felt like being punched in the face.

Not funny. And it's impossible to feel any sympathy for Draco after that, yet you continue to treat him as a viable character.

I've had to stop reading, and it's a shame as I was enjoying this fic very much otherwise.
noylj chapter 8 . 4/16/2010
I assume it was Minnie "yes that is a 4 foot steel pole up my ass" McG that told her how wonderful Griffindor is.

Hermy, based on canon, could never be a scientist. She would always be a librarian/research assistant/lab technician. Never an original thought has entered her mind.
Makurayami Ookami chapter 8 . 4/11/2010
well written. they are doing very well.
He Who Comes With the Dusk chapter 8 . 4/10/2010
Yet another great chapter! But I think there may be a smal mistake: The six types of quarks are, if quite a few books and wikipedia are to be believed, up, down, strange, charm, *top, and bottom*. Perhaps, though, their names have changed, and you are using some from the correct time period? Or there is more than one system for their naming? I can't be sure, I'll leave it to you.

Also, I'm finding this story to be rather educational, which I am enjoying very much.
Cinnamon Selkie chapter 8 . 4/4/2010
Poor Hermione. I think you hit her character off extremely well. And I loved these lines:

~But let it be quite clear that Hermione Granger, sitting alone on the first day of school in one of the few cabins that had been empty, in the last car of the train, with the cabin door left open just in case anyone for any reason wanted to talk to her, was not sad, lonely, gloomy, depressed, despairing, or obsessing about her problems. She was, rather, rereading Hogwarts: A History for the third time and quite enjoying it, with only a faint tinge of annoyance in the back of her mind at the general unreasonableness of the world.~

~His trunk scurried in after him, grew to three times its former diameter and snuggled up next to her own in an oddly disturbing fashion.~

...

Well really, I can't think of any comment to make. I enjoyed the line though :)

~The Rise and Fall of the Dark Arts claims that you survived because of your mother's love and that your scar contains all of the Dark Lord's magical power and that the centaurs fear you, but Great Wizarding Events of the Twentieth Century doesn't mention anything like that and Modern Magical History warns that there are lots of crackpot theories about you."~

*Sniggers* Wow, she really has done her research. And it seems that the general consensus is that no one really has any idea *what* happened, so they're making things up.

~"A proposition?" Hermione said suspiciously. She tended to stick to nonfiction but she had a vague idea that girls weren't supposed to listen to those.~

*Chokes with laughter* Smart girl. I doubt it's that sort of proposition, but she probably shouldn't listen to it anyway. Might not be safe.

~Hermione's brain kept hiccuping in confusion every time she tried to get properly angry. "Is your life always this peculiar?" she said at last.~

The answer? Yes. Yes it is. We like it that way. Cinnamon.
Nancy Lebovitz chapter 8 . 4/3/2010
en./wiki/Systematic_desensitization

Desensitization involves teaching relaxation methods and *gradually* ramping up exposure to what the person fears.

en./wiki/Flooding_(psychology)

Flooding is more drastic, but it still involves teaching relaxation techniques so the person has a chance to integrate their experience.

Consequentialism is a weak argument for abusing people, unless there's some reason to think what you're doing to them will have more good effects than bad, and Harry had gone way beyond any knowledge he seems to have had.

I've been enjoying the story very much otherwise, but that bit makes Harry look cruel and stupid.

-Nancy Lebovitz
tatewaki2000 chapter 8 . 4/2/2010
Hm. :)
Orchamus chapter 8 . 4/1/2010
This Harry comes off as more than a little mad, but ridiculously charismatic.
Seimika chapter 8 . 4/1/2010
...i myself am insane but even potter would make me crazy
hjcallipygian chapter 8 . 4/1/2010
I was reading your prologue and came across your point about how all fantasy novels can be improved by eliminating their prologues. It made me think of a speech Kurt Vonnegut once gave where he gave two pieces of advice to all aspiring writers: Take your story and drop off the first ten pages. They're unnecessary. Second, your story needs Iago.

Thought you'd like that.
Sarah chapter 8 . 3/31/2010
Hahaha! I'm reading through some of the other guesses, and c'mon, you have to give out cookies at least for some of the creativity/humour. xD

Matumoko - I have to say yours is my favourite guess so far. :3

.:c

And I'm bored of reading your reviews from this chapter. Gosh, why you actually want them is beyond me.

My next guess:

since the hat seems woried... DID HARRY BREAK IT? Does the hat not know how to function beyond it's purpose? Is it going to have a breakdown? Possibly philosophical in nature?

I'm sure that has also been guessed, along with my few from my last greet. xD I'm not going to bother re-reading your fic, I'll wait until after April Fools. YESSIR. You better not be late on the delivery!
Alrissa chapter 8 . 3/31/2010
Houses for Potter? Ravenclaw would be the obvious choice.

Unless rationality counts as hard work (and it does and of course Hermione might desire friends more then admire Gryfindoor.)

Slytherin? Sure. He's ambitious and crafty.

Hm. Is your intent to teach readers rationality by writing fanfiction, might that only be a side effect of your desire to write a good story or something else equally sinister as a well written fanfiction?
KafeiDetour chapter 8 . 3/31/2010
Wow, just wow. fav
deitarionSSokolow chapter 8 . 3/31/2010
Excellent. 5 out of 5 rating. Quite possibly the best Harry Potter fic I've read this year (the only thing approaching this good that readily comes to mind is nonjon's A Black Comedy)

You've managed to duplicate and possibly concentrate the characterization and humor that made the original three HP books the only books I've ever read more than twice in a year. (I have an excellent memory and, usually, I only read books once every two years... if that) Great job.

I especially love how you've managed to combine amazing humor, captivating characters, and great insight. Even among the rarefied atmosphere of the 5/5-rated fiction, you usually only find two out of three at best.

Heck, even Perfect "I love to torment my reviewers" Lionheart didn't do this and he's often used as an example of how someone can use "a gift for fiction" for evil. (At the beginning of fics, before he starts tuning further chapters to do the opposite of what reviewers ask for out of spite, he tends to reach this level of humor and insight, but his insight is more setting/backstory-focused rather than character-focused and he doesn't achieve this level of characterization or concentration.)

It helps that it also has so many elements I find in short supply in HP fiction:

- Fiction with insight

- Well-written fiction exploring Draco as a character

- "Main character, the genius" written by someone who knows how to write smart characters rather than "credentialed idiots" like canon Hermione. (As I like to put it, "Any character can bribe their author to praise their intelligence. Truly smart characters don't need to".)

I also find your habit of beginning each chapter with a focusing intra-chapter quote to be very refreshing. It's a nice change from the usual and also from the rarer (and usually either cheesy or trite) "quote by a fictitious person" technique used in a lot of older sci-fi and fantasy.

For the first time, I find "keep up the good work" insufficient and myself at a loss for more appropriate words.

I don't want to risk this fic becoming abandoned, but in the interest of honesty, I have to say that, if you can apply this level of skill to an original story and write an appropriately representative first chapter, you should have no trouble getting it professionally published.

By some metrics, this fic is of higher quality than best-sellers like Artemis Fowl or canon Harry Potter. Given the kind of insight-based humor you're using, it wouldn't surprise me if, with more practice, you could end up being the next Douglas Adams or Terry Pratchett... assuming you don't let it go to your head, slack off, or prove to be a one-trick pony, of course.

Oh, as for chapter-specific stuff, I quite like your analysis of Hermione's thoughts on meeting people. As a person with Asperger's syndrome, the whole "why is there no instruction manual and why do I have to be the one to take initiative?" really resonates with me.
JustAGuy chapter 8 . 3/31/2010
Excellent fanfic. Keep it up!
Artemis XIII chapter 8 . 3/31/2010
I love you! Well, maybe not literally but I most definitely love this story. The last two chapters are very, very, very good, especially the part about Draco and Luna. I adore the enchanted soda too. I actually adore everything here. So I won't be another marriage proposition but I really hope that you'll publish some original fiction someday since this is already so good (and much, much easier for a French to follow than the website to which you give a link in your profile! It's very interesting but it uses completely different and much more abstract methodes than my math teacher about Bayles' Theorem, for example). So, bravo once again and please continue soon!
WishLord chapter 8 . 3/31/2010
This story is one of the most amusing stories I have ever read. As I look at the current amount of time between the stories start and current update I know I probably wont have to wait long for a new chapter.
wuoreb chapter 8 . 3/30/2010
Wow - I really do love this. Sorry I don't have anything more constructive to say but I'm really looking forward to reading the next chapter.
Xardoth chapter 8 . 3/30/2010
I think I love you. Probably the best more intelligent Harry fiction I've read. Well, I suppose thats not much of a compliment comparing it to how many bad intelligent Harry fanfics there are, but I think you get the idea. I like the premise so far, and the pace of the story. What I'm wondering is what you have planned for the timeframe of this story... will it encompass all of his activities throughout Hogwarts and beyond.. are you just spending alot of focus on the introduction.. that sort of thing. I'm curious about how much of this story I've left to read I suppose. Anyway.. thanks for posting your work.
StarWest45 chapter 8 . 3/30/2010
I love irony. Hermione being annoyed by a know-it-all was brilliant! Since I'm guessing from the Harry and Hermione end up together wouldn't it be fun if Draco and Luna ended up together? Also irconic after chapter 7. I hope we see more of the Lords of Chaos, too.
TheOneKnownAsEmerald chapter 8 . 3/30/2010
this is...one of the most amazing stories I have ever read in my entire life.
TML chapter 8 . 3/30/2010
Are you going to abuse the existence of oracles/other truth telling devices? Would be pretty cool.

A:(something I can control) and (something desireable)

B:(something I can control) and not(something desireable)

C:not(something I can control) and not(something desireable)

D:not(something I can control) and (something desireable)

Ask the question will (AC) happen, then depending on answer, force (something desirable) to happen (if true, do (something I can control), if false do anything else)
DammitJim chapter 8 . 3/30/2010
I love logical! Harry! He's so hilarious!
karekid2004 chapter 8 . 3/30/2010
the story is kind of funny

hope to see more soon
The Benevolent Scriber chapter 8 . 3/30/2010
Brillant I really like this story, keep up the good work. A decidedly different Harry for once!
MightyMyte chapter 8 . 3/30/2010
OMG, I loved this chapter. My favorite part was where Harry pointed out that if he did give Neville nightmares then it's going to be nightmares about monsters giving him candy. I laughed so hard at that I gave myself the hiccups. Love the story, and can't wait for the next chapter.
nwspor chapter 8 . 3/30/2010
cool
krazyfelinelover chapter 8 . 3/29/2010
Hello, I just found this and wanted to thank you for this very funny fanfic. Usually I unconscously laugh at stories, not even realizing when I laugh out loud or in my head, but with this story I laughed so much that I was conscious of it and sometimes had to stop and catch my breath. So anyway, whenever you find time to come up with ideas please update, I cannot think of any suggestion that might help off the top of my head, but if I come up with something I will review on the next chapter.
archiesfrog chapter 8 . 3/29/2010
this story has had me in stiches! I particularly enjoy the way you weave a (somewhat) serious plot with brillant humour. Thanks for sharing, and i look foward to the next chapter.
DoubleC chapter 8 . 3/29/2010
is fantastically entertaining, and mildly enlightening at that (mildly - for a person far removed from logic, that is). Don't like Hermione, even with Harry's coaching. Can't wait for Hogwarts! How's Harry going to deal with the lessons and the teachers and- and- Fascinating. The chapter about Diagon Alley trip was so funny I'm worried what my neighbours are thinking of me, now, and Draco's intellect incredibly chilly. While I'm ready to accept a super-smart Harry, an extra-Machiavelliankid Draco seems so OOC, - although a great pleasure to read. Again, hope to see the collision of Harry's 'ingenuity' with Hogwarts life soon.
timber chapter 8 . 3/29/2010
ok first off, enjoyed what you've written so far, to a point. some of the scientific aspects reminded me of classes that i inevitably fell asleep in. now to the flame. sorry but i have to. eight chapters and he hasn't even gotten to hogwarts yet?

while this might seem minor, in my years of reading on this site stories that start this slow either end up being never finished or the author ends it very abruptly because they get sick of it. that may not happen but there you go. if the story is ever finished maybe i'll give it another go but until then i just can't see me investing the time.
mentalkid chapter 8 . 3/29/2010
Awesome. This fic is just awesome. Didn't like the suggestion of raping Luna, glad Harry was as annoyed as I was.
Jessalynvix chapter 8 . 3/29/2010
My boyfriend and I both enjoyed this story very much. It gives us a believable Harry who is very different from other things that I have read. We look forward to new chapters.
Meteoricshipyards chapter 8 . 3/29/2010
Wonderful! The image of Harry and the Weasley Twins terrorizing Neville by giving him candy and money was hilarious. Glad Hermione's rethinking Gryffindor.

And the "test" was very interesting.

Great story.

Tom A.
mudbloodpotter05 chapter 8 . 3/29/2010
I can just see it now... A malfoy friends with a muggleborn, a longbottok friends with a malfoy, a muggleborn friends with Harry potter...(which really doesn't fit with what I'm trying to say, but just go with me...) and Harry potter not really caring about any of this as ling as he can "expeiriment"!

So what am getting at is I think it would hilarious if they, all four of them, nev, mione, Draco and mr. Bronze. Were to all be in ravenclaw. How would dracos daddy feel about that?

My somewhat pointless Drabble aside, I do like this story and cannot wait until you post next! I must say that the chapter with him and Minerva made me laugh outloud! My coworkers thought me insane...but this is beside the point.

Keep up the great work!
Nothorse chapter 8 . 3/29/2010
This is brilliant.

You have an ear for dialogue and a talent for spittakes that may slightly exceed the power of Comed-Tea. (And I realy like the interactins of your protagonists. Except for Harry himself, all others are quite plausibly in character.
yuu277 chapter 8 . 3/29/2010
I love it! Innovativ and ingenious!
jdboss1 chapter 8 . 3/29/2010
let me start off by saying this was the most enjoyable story I've ever read on here and ingenious level of Harry in your writing comes across wonderfully I have read so many stories where people have had an intelligent character but rubbish at

showing it (specially in my story I tried to write)

Criticisms on the plot

1 informing Draco so much information regarding science

I would consider that to be a secret weapon and that I would not want to help (at this stage) there understanding of the world I would like to see Draco dad here ining of a nuclear bomb and go looking

I wouldn't think it would be hard for him to have one set of somewhere of his choosing through mind control Magic the last thing I would want to go with increase the ( pure blood) power

2 not having more conversation about Magic with harry parents I couldn't imagine somebody has supposedly clever as his father not going to the alleyway and getting his hands on all that magic

good points

1 not being nice to Ron Weasley

2 having Hermione knowledge tested in ( Canon she was hold back my Ron she could have been so much greater I hope you have her reached their full potential)

3 getting the first aid kit so many stories specially Canon have the main character survive on only luck

I would have had that first aid kit everywhere (1 in car 1 in house 1 in super Bag)

I have never had the desire for an update this badly I really really enjoyed this story

have Add Story to Favorites

updats SON
Rodrigo Black chapter 8 . 3/28/2010
WoW, what a great history! And you start it from such a basic premisse: Harry was raised by an scientists (and is a genius, but that is minor) and voila! great history, but now the questiond lingers : will harry be an evil rapper with dray-dray, or an onipresent researcher with mione? ( being a goddie two shoes with ron ron seems very distant and boring...) I cant wait to read wich way he will develop, or hopefully an another wonderfull way you will creat! JOY! see ya!
sesshoumaru4me chapter 8 . 3/28/2010
genius...
Wolfric chapter 8 . 3/28/2010
I am really enjoying your story. I hope you will be able to continue with it for a long time. Watching your Harry work over the magical world while they try to work him over promises to be a major hoot. Thanks for writing. W.
Rome28 chapter 8 . 3/28/2010
amazing story
Looney the coon chapter 8 . 3/28/2010
Exellent.
mac-c chapter 8 . 3/28/2010
oh my god! this is so good! I cant wait to see what happens next! specially a conversation between Snape and Harry...or maybe Flitwick and Harry would be more productive?
TatraMegami chapter 8 . 3/28/2010
Such an interesting story, a great AU. :)
Deritine chapter 8 . 3/28/2010
You know it's a good fanfic when you get scholarly books to add to the 'to read' list at the end of a new chapter... ;P Great chapter. I feel like my brain is exploding a little bit. In a very good way. Especially as you manage to keep a balance of narrative flow inside all the mind-exploding.
Angryoptimist chapter 8 . 3/28/2010
I just took the last eight chapters in a single sitting. This is... good. I confess that I almost didn't click on the link when I saw this recommended in a forum-I've gotten pretty tired of Harry Potter fanfiction, I suppose-but I'm mighty glad I did. The premise is refreshing, and the execution just generally good.

I suppose that it all boils down to: I am entertained, many thanks.
Guararararar chapter 8 . 3/28/2010
Amazing story
Mordac chapter 8 . 3/28/2010
"In physics, “magic” is synonymous to “deceit”; you rely on magic if you don’t understand what it is that is really going on. This should not be accepted." Gerard t'Hooft

"You can't ask questions, it's magic. It doesn't explain anything, it's magic. You don't know where it comes from, it's magic! That's what I don't like about magic, it does everything by magic!", Commander Vimes, Thud!

Of course, t'Hooft was talking about string theory, but I still thought it was relevant.

Anyway, I think this fic is very much a diamond on the rough. I am bothered by people who are contented with saying "it's magic", and I think it's about time someone tried to work this out in fiction. However, this fic is a very good idea hampered down by clumsy execution, even though there were quite a few moments of brilliance scattered around.

For instance, even though it was a veer into serious territory, I found the Draco scene worked in the end, even if the premise that an 11 year old would say that non-jokingly seems a bit flimsy. And the notion of "lessons in manipulation" is just ridiculous. No one is that self-conscious about manipulating behavior.

The poke at the implausibility of the wizard economic system is also appreciated. As an economics major, and soon to be grad student, the whole thing just drives me insane.

However, Harry's interaction with McGonnagal felt pretty contrived. I don't think that she would allow him to be so free with her, nor that he would be so free with a complete stranger.

I really disliked this last chapter, too. I think it's all too obvious where this is going to go. Hermione will go to Ravenclaw after being disappointed by the actions of that one Gryffindor prefect (Percy?), where she can be Harry's sidekick and future romantic interest. I really think Hermione would make a lousy Ravenclaw, and I think you have a bit of an overinflated view of her intellectual capabilities. Also, why can't she just have a good memory? Does it have to be photographic or whatever it's called [I am not a psychologist]. You're letting your liking of the character getting in the way of an accurate portrayal (unless, of course, you're changing her personality as you did with Harry; that's a legitimate authorial choice, but one that'd probably make me stop reading-I like AUs with only one change prior to the point of divergence, and this, my friend, ain't it).

It is still not too late to change course, however!

I apologize if I've been too harsh, because I do think this has potential; I am, after all, following it and taking the time to review! You should just put a brake on the fanboyish stuff.

P. S. - John Nash Feynman!
Cateagle chapter 8 . 3/28/2010
Hmm, it seems unlikely that, after this little episode, Hermione's going to be sorted into Gryffindor, more likely Ravenclaw. Since I can't really See *this* Harry going anywhere but Ravenclaw, they should be quite a pair and quite a challenge to Filius Flitwick. Meanwhile, I can see Harry & Neville become good friends, too, and Ron never having a chance; this will definitely change a lot more things to come.
hotcocoalatte chapter 8 . 3/28/2010
You have a great story here so far! I look forward to the next chapter. :D Your Harry is so amusing, though I can see how he'll probably rub many people the wrong way (like with Hermione in book 1). Oh, and another point where I disagree with Harry: "..did it do more good than harm, or more harm than good?...what I did looks all terrible and bullying and mean, since it involves a scared little boy and so on, but that's hardly the key issue now is it?...the only question is how it will turn out in the end - what are the consequences."

Though it's too early in the story to say whether what you have Harry say is what you think (since it seems that many authors are blatant in using fics as a way to spout opinions/vent-not that that's always a bad thing), that Harry does believe this but may gain doubts (such as how magic has disrupted his view of the world), or if this is another test for Hermione and Harry may not agree with it (or maybe he does and it's to see where Hermione stands). Urg, I could put why I disagree, but I don't want to write another long review. :P And I'm curious to see where you go with that without my ideas 'biasing' you, lol.
Fyreheart chapter 8 . 3/28/2010
This is an absolutely wonderful plot line! I was laughing so much at one point in the visit to Diagon Alley that my husband had to call from another room to see what amused me. Well done!
thenewestmarauder chapter 8 . 3/28/2010
this story is great...i always liked ravenclaw harry type stories...please update asap
entity.unknown chapter 8 . 3/28/2010
hilarious story. and i loved chapter five too :] i also love harry's character in this xD
devoted2know chapter 8 . 3/28/2010
Awesome! I love how Harry has conversed with and confused Hermione in this chapter! I also loved the description of Harry and the twins efforts for Neville, I can't wait to see the effects of that adventure! I'm glad that you have Harry helping Neville get his toad, though I feel a bit sad for Hermione who stayed behind, sad and jumbled. I still don't think it's a good idea to read this in public, too many laughs to stifle, but at least no chapter other than chapter 5 (with Harry and Draco) had me still giggling long after I'd finished.
Nargus chapter 8 . 3/28/2010
M...it's good to know that's just Greg and Forge and not some new randomly added faction! :D
Guest chapter 8 . 3/28/2010
Another great chapter!

I like that you do not fall into the big bad trap of fanfiction and really build up characters over time, not just deliver them the way you want them straight away that many people seem to do.

Keep writing and doing your part in stomping out Idolon tribus!
duj chapter 8 . 3/28/2010
Hmm, if Hermione and Harry together potentially make a world-dominating team, then it *really* wasn't smart of McGonagall to suggest to Harry to hook up with her ASAP...
Aku-dono chapter 8 . 3/28/2010
...Although awesomeness cannot be accurately quantified, this has to be the geekiest and most awesome Harry Potter story I've read this year.

More of this must be written, for the sake of SCIENCE!
Unlisted but Interested chapter 8 . 3/28/2010
I'm absolutely amazed at how many reviews you have gotten in less than a month of this story being posted. However I have found it fabulously entertaining so far and think you deserve every one. I adore it when fanfic writers bring logic and scientific process into what has so far been an extremely unorganized society. I'm not a writer myself (yet) but I do enjoy rolling odd ideas from stories around in my head. I particularly love the Harry Potter world, but it has always bothered me that something as undefinable as magic has so many rules and laws attached to it. To my mind it has always seemed that magic is more a function of will and belief, and that by going to a school like Hogwarts they are limiting their potential by having others tell them what is and isn't possible. It's magic, anything should be possible (or non of it, depending on your viewpoint). I'm curious to see your Harry's response to it. I just hope you are prepared for what you've gotten yourself into. You don't seem the type of author who likes to time jump, so I predict an extremely long and involved project in this fanfic. Good luck and looking forward to more. I don't usually do this, but if you would like to respond you can reach me at this e-mail:

Thanks for being creative!
R-Gomeni chapter 8 . 3/28/2010
Interesting chapter: a good mix of humour and pure scientific speculation, and I enjoyed reading it. I'm guessing that now that Hermione's bias towards Gryffindor has declined a bit she'll end up in Ravenclaw? Regardless, looking forward to the next chapter.
TJG chapter 8 . 3/28/2010
Further add on to my earlier comments.

For Harry's 26-hour cycle, this could be solved with a time turner set for 2 hours every day. This could be used during after classes in his own trunk where he can do his own studies. While it could be said to make him age a little faster, since wizards live longer than non-magical people by around twice it is not too big of a deal.

The concept of a time turner does lead to some interesting ideas of time travel or at least one version and whether there might be other forms or even a way to make a room or containers that can have different flows of time as a correspondence of how expanded space exists in some items and rooms. Like having a container that can have extremely slow time within to store items or for allowing observing actions that would otherwise require extremely high-speed cameras. The other extreme is to allows reactions that would otherwise take very long periods of time to occur very fast for normal time flow like geologic processes and crystallization. A possible practical product could be a computer casing that holds far more volume that its external dimensions and also have time pass far faster within as well to potentially have a vast computer that appears to have processing speeds comparable to theoretical quantum computers in the space of a laptop. For that matter, a technomagic idea of using the concepts of quantum entanglement and sympathetic magic might be used to create quantum mechanic-like technologies like quantum computers.

As a suggestion, Harry might act more invisible during class times at least for the first week since he might want to observe how "typical wizard classes" held given that he was mostly restricted to tutors due to his sleep schedule up to now. While he could appear to stick in the background during classes, it would be outside of classes he can be more himself unless attention is directed to him during class for some reason. For those classes he becomes dissatisfied with, he could start checking on the rules to see if he can just do independent study, test out, do correspondence courses (if necessary with other schools), and so forth so he does not have to attend classes he decides that have incompetent teachers (how does a ghost grade homework and how do education authorities accept it?). He might even form a club of sorts where studies and tests are maintained with non-magical schools so that they can have credit in the non-magical world. It could even give something to do while avoiding that underage magic rules. On a more secret aspect could be for investigating the underlying rules of magic and how it can be manipulated and maybe set up a technomagic magazine like science and engineering and products publication either published independently or under an existing publisher perhaps even under the Quibbler if he plans to make good on that earlier comments of taking it over.

I wonder if magic could allow one to capture lightning in a bottle.
uo-chou chapter 8 . 3/28/2010
Uh-oh... Two for Ravelclaw, then? Or maybe the hat will put Harry into Slytherin after all. Keep up the excellent work!
SensiblyTainted chapter 8 . 3/27/2010
I really love the fact that Harry demonstaited he is going to be a Hero, in the classical sense, and he is going on the Hero's Journey. I also liked Hermione, which I wasn't sure I would, but you convinced me there is potential there for an interesting friendship. I am reassured because it wasn't smooht sailing between them. I love Hermione getting angry, annoyed, and fascinated inspite of herself. I think Harry will have bouts of annoyance with Hermione in the future, but that will only make their friendship deeper and more realistic. Anyway, I hope that you keep writing, and I wanted to give some advice. Don't turn your story too far away from the way you saw it because of reviewers. We love the story, so you are doing something write. Don't try to change to much to give us "what we want to see" because seven out of ten times, we don't know what we want, we only think we do. Hahahaha... Although I admit if a review got you to make Draco a main character, I applaud that choice! Let my contrariness be a lesson to you!
Yukatado chapter 8 . 3/27/2010
Great story. I love all the logic and science you're injecting into it.

I like that one of Harry's goals is to apply the scientific method to magic.

Keep up the great work and I look forward to your next update.
Toki 13 chapter 8 . 3/27/2010
Please please please, update soon, its getting really good. You gotta keep going with this story, never quit on it, you already have loads of reviews. Those plus this one please update soon. drops on knees and begs I'm begging you please!
addisonj chapter 8 . 3/27/2010
I like this story. Very AU. I'm used to the brave, loyal, humble Harry and this one is more of a know-it-all than Hermione. Interesting to see someone smarter than her. And the adults all seem to be quite flawed and less intelligent than Harry, even the professors. The Quibbler headline in the last chapter was hilarious but Draco talking about raping was creepy scary. A very dark turn in a humorous fic. Harry discussing and planning world domination is very Slytherin. Loved the moment last chapter when Harry shows Draco the earth rise from the moon. It's a very powerful image even for us Muggles decades later. And the comment last chapter about Ron not having any purpose! Literally LOL. Are you going to go thru the entire first year in this fic?
Shadow of Flame chapter 8 . 3/27/2010
I find it hard to believe that a story based on Rationality and science can be so funny...and funny it is...very good job! I like this version of Harry, Draco, Luna (so far, undeveloped as she is), and Hermione. And McGongall, and Petunia. I liked the "Your dad's as awesome as my dad" "He buys me books" line...or something like that, I too am obsessed with books, although prefer fantasy to sci-fi.

About the point you made about prolouges, in some series, prolouges add more mystery, instead of less. Great job, would like to read more.
Gabo 1602 chapter 8 . 3/27/2010
Wow, this is really good! It's so awesome seeing people smarter than you on the internet! Keep on teaching me science!
the true elec chapter 8 . 3/27/2010
Brilliant, just brilliant. I don't think that Harry and Hermione meeting could be any funnier.
pyrobabe7713 chapter 8 . 3/27/2010
This was absolutely fabulous I haven't laughed so hard in forever, please please please update soon!
LoireLoa chapter 8 . 3/27/2010
Ok... the meeting between Hary and Hermione was hilarious! and what he did to Neville WAS kinda mean, and I don't think that it will have worked the way he and the Terrible Twosome planned, but he meant well (in a scientific way, which is why scientists should not become relationship therapists) and after standing up for Neville they might be friends. After all, they need someone who's grown up around magic and (unlike Draco) has no bias against science.
Timballisto chapter 8 . 3/27/2010
You rationalize the differences between science and magic well, but I recommend breaking up the large paragraphs of dialogue, it makes readers want to skip the large block of text.
Roznog chapter 8 . 3/27/2010
Consequentialism is bunk.

Just because a million-to-one bet turns out doesn't mean it was a better decision to make than the one-to-a-million bet.
badkidoh chapter 8 . 3/27/2010
It's still really great so far.

It doesn't seems like there will be any parings in this storyline or if there are it will be much later in the storyline if at all. Also if there are parings later I wounder if there is any chance for a Harry/Hermione paring?

I look forward to your next update.
moregoth chapter 8 . 3/27/2010
Hermione in Ravenclaw with Harry, maybe ;)

Hers and Harry's first encounter was great, the soda the robe and the rules!
eggplant purple chapter 8 . 3/27/2010
aw lol poor hermione and i almost feel sorry for the prefect

Happy Writing

EP
DarkPencil chapter 8 . 3/27/2010
O.. Hermione not knowing everything ) I enjoyed your portrayal of her and i think that explains much of her behavior in canon
Larry Huss chapter 8 . 3/27/2010
First I'd like to congratualte you on handling humor so well, doing funny AND character developement is far from easy.

Having Harry sometimes being carried away with his logic stream, and finding out that he jumped in with an invalid basis should keep him from being an annoying creature. Some failure, especially for an 11 year old, is naturally par for the course.

In general, good work and please keep it coming.

Larry Huss
TegwenielWestwind chapter 8 . 3/27/2010
Chapter 8 was really amusing. Thanks for putting those tests of logic and explanation of scientific examination in there. I'm glad Hermione has essentially made a friend, and also had her worldview rocked if every so slightly. This is one of the best high-brow fics I've read in a long time.
UndeniablyBritish chapter 8 . 3/27/2010
I am completely and utterly perplexed about the going ons in this story. I find myself staring at the wall for a full ten minutes before I catch myself, thinking about what the hell is going on.

I have decided that you are either a genius or completly off your head; at the moment in time I think it is probably the latter. But, as a film I recently watched suggests, 'all the best people are.'
Chi Vayne chapter 8 . 3/27/2010
That prefect sounded like it might have been Percy. Interesting way to keep Hermione out of Gryffindor. I can't imagine that Harry was headed there in any case.
hchan1 chapter 8 . 3/27/2010
"Three real numbers in increasing order, lowest to highest."

Isn't "lowest to highest" redundant? That's ground already covered by "increasing order".

Suddenly Neville's face contorted in fury. "You! I remember that voice! You're one of the Lords of Chaos! You're the one who gave me candy!"

This reaction seems a bit... aggressive, considering how you portrayed little Nev' up to this point, and how freaked out he was by said Lords of Chaos. I would expect something along the lines of squeaking and quickly backing out of the compartment, not a Ron Weasley special.

As for the story, enthralling stuff. Not being as well read as you or your protagonist, I sometimes have to struggle to wrap my mind around some of the concepts when Harry engages lecture mode, but that's a minor quibble at best.

Appeared to be the typical Snarky Harry finds magic story up until Chapter 7, which hints at your story having more meat on the bone than my first impression would indicate. Thanks for a good read; I'll be keeping my eye on this.
ejhawman chapter 8 . 3/27/2010
Going to jump on the bandwagon at this point and say this is one of the best things on FFnet at the moment.

I can see Harry viewing Ron as an annoyance, not a true enemy. His relationship with Malfoy should be less antagonistic than canon. Harry and Hermione should be intellectually duelling much of the time. She isn't the fangirl type, but they could learn to respect each other.

I suppose he will be getting his subscriptions to Nature, The Economist, and possibly Scientific American, or some European equivalent, delivered to Hogwarts.

Loving the scientific expositions. I gave up on a physics degree when I realized I couldn't handle string theory, but have kept in touch with scientific literature and issues, I can appreciate what you're doing here (though I wouldn't be so audacious as to try something like this myself). As a writer, though, I do worry that there isn't plausibly enough time for the expositions or verbal sparring to fully play out before there's some kind of interruption.

At the rate you're going, it may take all year to get to the end of book 1. But at the rate Harry is figuring out the wizarding world he may have overthrown it all by then. Ill be looking for his calculations of how useful Voldemort is as a destructive agency toward the greater good of the Rational Wizarding Revolution...
Frank chapter 8 . 3/27/2010
Very good! Humor and writing that forces me to think. I thank you for writing at an adult level, or at least above 9th grade angst. It is stimulating to find IDEAS!

Again, thank you.
Meneldur chapter 8 . 3/27/2010
Don't listen to the DLP thread! We love you!

Actually, no. Listen to them if they're correct and have something constructive to say. But in my experience, this is rare. They rarely have something good to say about anything. They're also occasionally stricken by bouts of Madness/Blindness. I've seen them accuse a story of being utter smut, when the author wrote expressly in the author's note for the first chapter that the whole story was an exercise in writing smut.

I stand with my theory that if Harry wanted to, he could have vanished a stain with a snap of the fingers (see my previous review if you don;t understand).

Hermione's thoughts on 'people from books talk like books was hilarious'.

The entire part with Hermione was great. I loved Harry's tests, since I like science and I love the theory of positive bias, having learned about it when reading The Black Swan*. I enjoy probability/economics theory quite a lot, and love how you incorporate them into this story. The induction problem is one of my favorite theories/paradoxes/problems.

I also quite enjoyed Harry's story of the Lords of Chaos. It shows he's not just a geek, but also knows how to enjoy himself, and realizes the fun in chaos. However, his reaction to Neville's plight was a perfect counter-point to his tale, for it showed that he is not simply cruel, or cold and practical, but truly wants to improve the world.

Until the next chapter, Meneldur.

* Much of the book rotates around the theory - in fact its' name is derived from the following example of it:

Statement: All swans are white. Conclusion: Anything that is not white is not a swan. Therefore, seeing a red car is proof of the above statement, and proof that there are no black swans.
Bob chapter 8 . 3/27/2010
great i can't wait to see more of this. it is just awsome
BobSquirrelKing chapter 8 . 3/27/2010
Yet another fantastic chapter. I particularly liked how you had Hermione lose her pro-Gryffindor bias, as it was completely believable, and didn't require anything more than a small look into the reality of the situation. I could very easily see Percy (who I'm assuming the prefect is supposed to be) declaring that helping a first-year search for his pet is not worth his time.

Also, congratulations on getting over 1,0 posts in the first month. I can't think of any established authors who have managed that, and this is your first story.
kail chapter 8 . 3/27/2010
always learning somethings new. thank you very much
Katamabob chapter 8 . 3/27/2010
I like Gryffindor :( But this was a great chapter, and I like Hermione and that she does get a little annoyed with Harry _

Can't wait for an update!

Kate
l20 chapter 8 . 3/27/2010
harry comes of more a geek than a rational character
tumshie chapter 8 . 3/27/2010
I'm enjoying your over smart Harry, buit Trevor is a Toad not a Frog, two entirely different species of amphibian.
The French Dark Lord chapter 8 . 3/27/2010
Epic! DLP ought to put this fic in the Library!
Heidinanookie chapter 8 . 3/27/2010
Well, well, well! Harry Potter IS a kind of arrogant little brat. Who would have known?

And since you apparently take the opinion of your audience into consideration, I might suggest you take Harry down a notch or two. Make him a little more child-like. That doesn't mean to forgo scenes like the one with Hermione. He just needs to have scenes where he behaves like an eleven-year-old, too. Besides, if he's such a little know-it-all, he becomes "insufferable" as Snape would put it, and he also thinks too much, thereby hurting people with his good intentions.

The ending, on the other hand, with him getting all worked up over Neville's problems is quite endearing. Still, I'd chalk up his self-confidence to his arrogance, too... There's still a lot of work to do to build Harry's character.

I'm really looking forward to his confrontation with the prefect(s). Also, Neville showed real Griffindor qualities by returning to the scary Harry. I already start to like him.

heidi
ForgottenTales chapter 8 . 3/27/2010
This was a riot! Loved it. Harry's hitting the magical world like a speeding bullet train and I don't think he's going to stop anything time soon, if ever. Can't wait to see what happens when he actually gets to Hogwarts, they wouldn't know what hit them.

I wonder, what will he make of Luna. I would think she's the almost opposite of him, aside from constantly surprising and confusing people.

Harry is an awesome character (though I can't see myself living with him without damaging something). Therefore I conclude that you or at least a part of you must be an awesome person for coming up with this. (Harry would probably say this isn't a rational conclution, but who says I'm rational?)

Anticipating the next chapter with bated breath!
Errrrr chapter 8 . 3/27/2010
Amazing!

The way Harry met Hermione was awesome!

I really like the inclusion of Fred and George
Pusakuronu chapter 8 . 3/27/2010
Hermione and Harry? Hogwarts isn't going to know what hit it! Very good.
AiSard chapter 8 . 3/27/2010
*commence o-ing sounds* love it p
Lycia chapter 8 . 3/27/2010
Oh, I like this story!

Finally an author with a little intelligence
Secca Irises chapter 8 . 3/27/2010
I blame you for causing me to, for the first time in my life, fall off my chair laughing. A literal ROFLOL.

The scene where Draco and Harry meet at Madam Malkin's is a classic, and I hold it up as the best version of that scene I've ever read.

I can't wait to read more!
shadow uzumaki chapter 8 . 3/27/2010
Hahahaha, another victim of Hurricane Harry. Though, I'm sure that he'll meet his match soon?
Gundum M chapter 8 . 3/27/2010
very nice chapter
Anaerobie chapter 8 . 3/27/2010
Awesome !

At least, some henchman rivalry. Who get to be the henchman Harry with his superior rationality or Hermione with her mighty knowledge ?

Will Luna Lovegood and her absurdity be their arch-villain ?

Find out with the next chapter...

Sorry, couldn't help myself and remember Make a Wish from Rorschach's Blot with the Professor and Henchgirl. Some, might also due to reading all the Girl Genius webcomic in one fell sweep lately.

But why can't we see more Luna ? I want more Lovegood 'it's better for your health like that'.

And stop spoiling us, so much chapter in a week. Do you not fear the inferi reader from Hell screaming out: "We want want want want want want want want more..." in their annoying screeching voice that suck all your spontaneity ?

Space up your update it's for your wellbeing.
June22 chapter 8 . 3/27/2010
Run over by a steamroller and turned into a pancake? I sort of feel the same.

Do you, by any chance, know Orson Scott Card's "Ender's Game"? It's about a super-intelligent boy amongst other genius-children who wins every game and beats every manipulation instigated by the adults. The goal is for him to defeat the big bad aliens that threaten our planet. At one point someone says: "I pity them. Ender is coming to get them." I was kind of reminded of that scene. Poor wizards... Harry is back.

:-)
cheekylildevil chapter 8 . 3/27/2010
Thank you so much for writing something which not only doesn't portray Hermione as a pathetic little teachers pet know-it-all, but which also shows that even Gryffindors have a dark side.

This is quite possibly your best work so far, you deserve everything you've gotten.

Congrats,

Indi
TJG chapter 8 . 3/27/2010
It looks like Harry, after the experiments with language with his magic pouch, is taking a more Wonderland (Alice in Wonderland) way of analyzing magic with him as a curious Cheshire Cat. If magic uses words in spells the same way words with the magic pouch works then the Red Queen logic on words may apply there too (something along "It means what I mean, no more, no less. What I mean may be different when I say it again."). He might want to try picking up books on fictional languages like Klingon and see if the magic pouch works with even fictional languages. If the concept works in normal spell casting then it could mean the whole point of practicing of spells is so the caster means what they mean when casting and whether the concepts of platonic ideals and solids may have some relationship of how magic works. This could have the idea of conceptual magics that have to meet certain requirements. One fictional possibility would be how the older Dungeons and Dragons game has the concept of Inner Planes with the elemental planes of earth, air, fire, water and the energy planes of Positive and Negative energies, then using magic to tap into the concept of selected planes and their interactions. This could require setting up the concepts in a balanced mathematical form though not necessarily balanced by real mass or real energy, even if they are normally imaginary for non-magical purposes.
cajuncoffee chapter 8 . 3/27/2010
My god this is good. And without a doubt the cleverest HP fanfic I've ever read. You deserve every single marriage proposal :)
SROTU chapter 8 . 3/27/2010
Wicked.

As in really awesome.

Do you research scientific theory?
Nongarak chapter 8 . 3/27/2010
Well, this certainly was a wordy chapter. Very smart. Not nearly as funny, but I must admit that I laughed out loud at the last paragraph of the Author's Note. Shit's dash. Good job with Hermione, even if we don't really know much about her yet. The whole sciency thing is great, as well.

It's so strange to finish reading this other fic I was reading, where Neville is this big strong buff confident leader dude, and then go read about him as a kid. Really a bit of a shock. Great work, anyways. I would hate to be the Gryffindor prefect that didn't help him. Percy?
asdeed chapter 8 . 3/26/2010
"Technically, all I needed to do was look for you, but it seems likely that I'm meant to talk to you or invite you to join my party or get a key magical item from you or find out that Hogwarts was built over the ruins of an ancient temple or something. PC or NPC, that is the question?"

"If you were making oil of sharpness -"

"If you were brewing a potion of spider climbing,"

Oh my god, I had to go play some dungeons and dragons straight after reading this! LOVED IT

The boy coughed. "No," he said. Just as Hermione started to drink, he said, "I'd like you to help me take over the universe."

Hermione finished her drink and lowered the soda. "No thank you, I'm not evil."

How did you make this scene adorable?

Hermione's mind was now so jumbled that she didn't even think she could properly read the title of "History: A Hogwarts"

I just died laughing, I am dead now. Hehehehehe
Pointer3109 chapter 8 . 3/26/2010
"I make it that peculiar."

What a wonderful answer.

"I suppose," Harry Potter spat, "that finding some first-year's frog isn't heroic enough to be worthy of a Gryffindor prefect. "

I suspect someone will regret being lazy. Likely Perfect Prefect Percy?

Enjoyed it.
SomeGuyFawkes chapter 8 . 3/26/2010
Why do you even care what those total douche-nozzles at DLP say? That place *defines* the phrase, "95 percent of them make the other 5 percent look bad."

}} All fantasy novels can be improved by eliminating their prologues.

No, that's a cliché that kills most fantasy novels - the classic "Ugly duckling gradually discovers that he's a special fish out of water."

Rowling had epic success because she didn't play cheap tricks with the reader. She hinted and foreshadowed everything important (at least for the first few books). Her prologue was a masterful introduction of all the series' key elements - without giving the adventure away.

~-~

Nice characterization and "meet cute" of/with Hermione. It was charming and had a couple of LOL moments.

"Step 4: Make a cardboard display." - :)

Thanks for the update.
yoyoente chapter 8 . 3/26/2010
YES! I can totally see Hermione NOT arguing with the Sorting Hat...getting into Ravenclaw and then shrieking wildly for a brief time when she realizes that Harry is sorted into the same house...Though I really would like to read what the various reactions McGonagall and Snape would have if he got into their repective houses...oh, oh, could you do little unrelated Omakes for those...especially if Snape DID meet Harry in the Potions shop and speak to him, but not know that he was Harry Potter...lol, that would be wonderful. :D
Majin Hentai X chapter 8 . 3/26/2010
Rational Harry. Lo and behold he who he wields both magic and science but those are his minor tools. His true power is derived from Logic and Common Sense.

Please tell me Harry is going to rip the old bumbler a new one and when he does get to the sorting don't forget to make a decent Ghostbusters quote.

Now then keep up the good work.
witowsmp chapter 8 . 3/26/2010
I'll bet Neville asked Percy, who was always more interested in having the position and bragging about it than doing the work it required.

It looks like this time Hermione won't be arguing with the hat, which I firmly believed wanted to place her in Ravenclaw, where she really belonged.

I've greatly enjoyed these past eight chapters and look forward to the next one.
riayi chapter 8 . 3/26/2010
This chapter felt shorter than the rest (didn't actually do a word count), but it was filled with logical funny goodness. It looks like bothHarry and the rest (except Ron) are heading away from the gold and red, and considering their options. While this seems most obvious for Harry, who wants Ravenclaw (not having any kind of preference in canon before meeting a Slytherin), in this chapter we saw Hermione and Neville getting a dose of non-magical disillusionment, and I have to say I find it a bit confusing. Obviously, JKR played the Griffs as bold heroes with one or two defects (like James and his cronies being bullies), and Slytherin as opportunist bastards with one or two exceptions, while the other 2 houses where around to, I don't know, fill the gaps and contribute little overall to the plot. Anyway, while in previous chapters we had Ron acting mostly as stupid and pig-headed as usual, now we have an unnamed Griff prefect acting the bully for Neville's benefit, and while it's something that could certainly happen (can't truly imagine self-important Percy helping a First Year just because), I can't help but wonder if it's but a sign of partially unjustified Griff bashing. To be fair, no one is perfect, making any group inherently imperfect, and mob thinking will make it worse than any one person. To be clear, Slytherin are certainly cunning, not necessarily evil, and their medieval views on mudbloods and muggles are, if not justified, understandable (at least after you flawlessly explained away last chapter); Griffs are brave, not necessarily smart, and may be jackasses just like anybody else; Huffs are usually zeroes (you know it's true, Cedric was just a sacrificial lamb and had to look good), and Ravenclaws (with the exception of Luna), are pretty much unimportant (even Cho). So it boils down to JKR making Griffs protagonists to Slytherin antagonism, and fanfictions writers being given almost nothing to work for with the rest of the Houses. And then we have people writing fanfics that claim all Slytherins rule, or all Griffs, or whatever, and we ignore the fact that logically, no one House can possible be all bad, all good, or all useless. So there. Great fic, all of it, even if you actually do turn it into a Griff bashing fest.
Akira Stridder chapter 8 . 3/26/2010
hmm...
shiro-wolfman-k chapter 8 . 3/26/2010
I needed to read this chapter two times before review, first, because I readed it just a few seconds after it appeared in my desk in hotmail, but, I was running late to the Job and well, it was too fast to give a good opinion of your job.

Now, that I have more time, I enjoyed even more what you put in there, OH if you are a teacher, how I envy those you teach.

Thank you for such a good story to read, AND for this chapter.
Violet Shadows chapter 8 . 3/26/2010
Amusing, though it felt a little bit rushed - probably because there wasn't as much descriptive narrative you could include when two people were more or less simply sitting in a train compartment, resulting in a chapter formed mostly of diolouge and conversation.
liareh chapter 8 . 3/26/2010
Liked the story as yet but this chapter left me cold. I hope it is a spoof or a 11-year old being a 11-yr old and trying to desensitize a fear/phobia and thinking doing what he did would help. It was bad of him actually.
DarkHuntress01 chapter 8 . 3/26/2010
loved the new chapter - your writing is brilliant! i love the way you Harry thinks!
rags007 chapter 8 . 3/26/2010
Loved it...
aalens chapter 8 . 3/26/2010
. Great. Fascinating. Funny. Thank you.
Edengrave chapter 8 . 3/26/2010
A treat.

Couldn't resist and finished reading the chapter at work. I am a science student, graduating in Math, and I learned something major from a fanfic. Thank you for that insight. Very interesting dialogue. I enjoyed every word. Hopefuly this influence Hermione to he in the house she belongs in, Ravenclaw. Thank you again for this fascinating story.
FuzzyBoots chapter 8 . 3/26/2010
_ OK, so that part led to me laughing in an evil manner, which admittedly spooked a few people at the bar I'm at (I'm here for the karaoke. I don't like to socialize in bars because I can't make out conversations among all of the background noise. Almost enough to drive a person to learn sign language just so that he can have rational conversation while doing his public singing). Anyhow, I'm enjoying all of this. Hm... in regards to what you said about the first law of fanfiction, I would like it if Harry saw more consequences to his actions. Arguably, he's facing some consequences in the people he's driving away, but since they're people he's not really all that interested in, it's not much of sacrifice. *shrug* I guess I just feel like he should be seen driving off at least some potential allies with his erratic behavior and realizing his error there. Of course, it could be that you're already building toward this...

Ah, anyhow, I will now add my standard codicil that I'm looking forward to you writing more and me reading more.
Emperor Vanquest chapter 8 . 3/26/2010
I now love your story. I need more to be positively biased to think highly of modern fanfiction. :P

Mentioning positive bias like that...you have so got to incorporate the theories of positive/negative enforcement vs. punishment!

Have a good day!

btw...as per lolcatz! Your story is now as a bucket...ah needz mah bucket! :D
acepro Evolution chapter 8 . 3/26/2010
How on earth did this story get over a thousand reviews in one month? This truly is a singularity within fan fiction writing. It is unique, awe-inspiring and a real good read, and it has a the appeal for gaining ones attention with its scientific side.

I applaud you for this piece of work and congratulate you more for being the one to write it.
tick-toc-tick chapter 8 . 3/26/2010
Brilliant chapter, I was looking forward to Harry's first meeting with Hermione and you did not disapoint. It was perfect, I can't wait to see resaults.
Anonymous chapter 8 . 3/26/2010
nice chapter

i don't know about truth and beauty but if i recall correctly aside from up, down, strange and charm there is top and bottom.
AStatine11 chapter 8 . 3/26/2010
wow great chapter.

i absolutely loved the interaction between harry and hemione.

the part where hermione learns how to experiment is also great.

now i am really really REALLY looking forward to further harry/hermione discussions.

u could actually, from time to time show their intellectual discussions rather than just imply it every time.

and from what i have read u could easily pull off such a discussion.

it would be really a great thing to have a discussion with u.

Keep up the GREAT work and Thank You!

p.s. on a side note i was just curious, are u a theist or an atheist?
delta chapter 8 . 3/26/2010
O,.o(nosebleeds)Your awesome. grins, can't wait to see the consequences Harry's going to create by his action alone! Will this affect the sorting? oh, the just thinking about all the possibilities harry represents.

Good Luck!

P.S can't wait to see how all the teachers are going to respond to harry, and the house elves. HEHEHEHE.

P.P.S What about that weird sleeping pattern of his? how would that affect his interactions with the school and the ?quitchditch? games?

all god, so many questions, all because of ONE story.
TardisIsTheOnlyWayToTravel chapter 8 . 3/26/2010
AWESOME! *dances around* Scary Harry. And love Harry making the frightening hissing noise.
DarkHeart81 chapter 8 . 3/26/2010
Good chapter! I rather like Harry's meeting with Hermione. Though I can't help thinking that he could have easily blown any chance of being friends with her. lol I wonder if Percy will be getting into trouble for the way he treated Neville? And why do I get the feeling that Harry and Hermione will both end up in Ravenclaw? Or at least I hope they do. :)
serbii chapter 8 . 3/26/2010
Up, down, charm, strange, top, bottom

Hello, another person from Viridian dreams here where your fic is increasingly well known because

a. It's good

b. You quoted Darkandus and we're always amused to find one of us mentioned in a fic :P

Anyway! Good story, I haven't read anything like it before. I've got a physics and chemistry degree and feel smart when I get your referenced XD

I'm glad you update quickly too. Keep up the good work.

Being very careful with my tea,

~serbii
Ratus chapter 8 . 3/26/2010
I love the logic puzzle. It reminds me of when I was in collage and had to prove that I existed in this reality that included the teacher and not just my own. Poor Hermione, I think her mind will soon break, if it doesn't, then she will have the rest of her life being an experiment in what is reality.
ReflectionsOfReality chapter 8 . 3/26/2010
And Harry Potter spreads a rumour up and down the train that Gryffindor Prefects refuse to help first years... the sorting was one of the most surprising ones in living memory when there is only one new first year sorted in the house... and when the feast began and almost as much food ended up on his robes as in his mouth the rest of the first years were thankful.

What would be the irony and could anyone actually punish Harry Potter for the statement before he was even in the school?

~Reflections
what are you even saying chapter 8 . 3/26/2010
Best chapter yet. Hands down. Not because of the conversation between Harry and Hermione, although that was beyond mere excellence, but because of the chapter's conclusion. Having Harry swoop in to defend Neville that way and simultaneously destroying Hermione's illogical feelings towards Gryffindor was nothing short of extraordinary.

Looking forward to more.
ytreza chapter 8 . 3/26/2010
Love this story,

Logical harry is going to storm the wizarding world.
Swords and Spells chapter 8 . 3/26/2010
MAGNIFICENT! I loved what you did with Harry's interactions with Hermione. The fact that she is so confused only makes sense considering what she and probably everyone else is expecting of the Boy-Who-Lived.
MisterTabi chapter 8 . 3/26/2010
Just be careful. A lot of potentially good stories spiraled into a trainwreck because the author writes as conformed to popular opinion.

It's not hard to see how that can be expanded to other, more odious fanon cliches, if that's what the reviewers want. And that would wreck the story.

However, that potential trainwreck was superbly averted. Keep writing and just be sure to write YOUR story, not the fans.

*Note: Thought this does not in any way justify ignoring good advice from other authors.
peoplhi chapter 8 . 3/26/2010
fun to read. i do hope that you stray far from the cannon story though.
bub23453 chapter 8 . 3/26/2010
my head hurts from all this science lol! But i LOVE seeing it in action! Keep up the good work! Why am I using exclamation mark after every sentence? No idea! :D
LonelyAura chapter 8 . 3/26/2010
XD! My mind is spinning! Anyway, awsome chapter! Hmm... could a certain girl end up in a different house? hmm..
AnnF chapter 8 . 3/26/2010
Love the last line!
Stoned Koala chapter 8 . 3/26/2010
And you're just summed up the greatest misconception about the scientific method. It's not that you have to try to prove your hypothesis, it's that you try to *disprove* it.

How many *real* scientists do you really think are out there?
MrRobertsIII chapter 8 . 3/26/2010
. "I make it that peculiar. You're looking at the product of a lot of hard work and elbow grease."

-Made me laugh.
HoBoAdin chapter 8 . 3/26/2010
As I'm sure you've heard any number of times by this point: this looks to be an amazing story that I cannot wait to read. This would appear to be a great story that could actually rationalize magic and still be internally consistent.

I am especially pleased that you're writing an extremely intelligent Harry without feeling the need to include out of character childish behaviors to somehow prove that Harry is actually 11.
Shadowface chapter 8 . 3/26/2010
dude, you lost it at the wandless magic.
uiramatos chapter 8 . 3/26/2010
You are a genius! At least briliant. Harry is amazing, rational to the extreme, unwilling to accept things at face value, the complete oposite of the average wizard. Your writing style is great and, to my meager knowledge of english, grammatically correct. The story flow is slow, but the scenes are very detailed and funny, witch makes itenjoyable to read.

I'm eager for the next update, and hope you do not abandon this fic,like so many authors.
verity76 chapter 8 . 3/26/2010
I am loving this story. I am curious, though - are you really a first-time author? Because you are doing a rather amazing job for someone who has only one story to their screenname. Anyway, can't wait for more!
pfeil chapter 8 . 3/26/2010
I really hope you didn't interpret my comment about Draco as "MOAR PLZ!". I'm good with as little of him as possible to fulfil his role as impotent schoolyard angatonist.

Glad that Hermione will no longer be so tempted by Gryffindor. It's more of her and Harry that I want.
ryuou chapter 8 . 3/26/2010
Yay for harry, destroy the train.
Patricka chapter 8 . 3/26/2010
Can't wait until the next chapter! )
hhrforeverhhr chapter 8 . 3/26/2010
i would love to confuse people like harry does, it would be frekin hilarious. i don't know where you get the inspiration to write all this, but please for the love of god CONTINUE! this is a wonderful story, and i can't think of a better way to pass my free time than reading this over and over again.. please update soon...
ammybah chapter 8 . 3/26/2010
Speaking of Harry hissing, it’d odd how canon!Harry never tried to see if Parselmouths could effect turtles, lizards, and other non-snake reptiles to establish the range of its effectiveness. Could DRAGONS understand the parseltongue language? If Hagrid gets Norbert again, the hatchling might imprint on Harry and refuse to leave his side, sort of like that baby alligator in “ .”

P.S. Harry could invite Moaning Myrtle to visit his house over the summer. Ghosts can be free-roaming unless corralled by the Ministry, as Myrtle was able to haunt Olive Hornby. The verbal permission of a witch or wizard could let a ghost break its bonds and journey to another location.

Both Hermione and Luna are rather lonely individuals and need all the friends they can get.
PeanutTree chapter 8 . 3/26/2010
Bravo! I applaud the way you're portraying the houses in equal lights-well, relatively equal. I'm glad there are snobbish Gryffindors and confused (to-be) Ravenclaws, and maybe even some nice Slytherins? I really do have to commend you on your explanations. I don't read fanfiction for science or math, but when you/Harry start up you make more sense than any of my teachers, combined.

Still thinking of constructive criticism.
wolf550e chapter 8 . 3/26/2010
"PC or NPC, that is the question?" - I don't role-play, but I laughed at Harry being on a quest.

"tends make to your life" - word order

I _love_ how you confront Hermione the wondrous regurgitation machine with having to actually think. Not to mention the devastating effect of meeting someone who doesn't think she's so smart.

"the sort of evil villain who" - isn't "evil villain" redundant?

You're awesome.
Cassandra30 chapter 8 . 3/26/2010
Way to go, Harry!
phoebe turner chapter 8 . 3/26/2010
amazing chapter!
Tess chapter 8 . 3/26/2010
The reason they criticize you so heavily is because you do something they are incapable of doing themselves. I would further submit to your better senses that some of the reviews you may have read on DLP forums are a symptom of jealousy. I myself am quite jealous of your writing talent, your rational thought processes and your incredible sense of humor.

That said, I am incredibly grateful that you have chosen to share your gift of writing with us. I discovered your story yesterday and I haven't stopped reading on your recommended wiki site since. It's been very helpful in my most recent history paper and furthermore, it's made me laugh so hard I nearly wet my pants. To think how I thought two days ago would be simply primitive to me now, and I can't thank you enough for sharing this gem.

I pray you continue to be inspired and continue to share that inspiration here.

Also, Lasers! Don't forget Lasers! There must be lasers somewhere in this story! Surely they can figure out how to create a light saber... surely? *looks hopeful*
Innortal chapter 8 . 3/26/2010
Nice job once again.
David M. Potter chapter 8 . 3/26/2010
bravo! may the muse be with you
happylady chapter 8 . 3/26/2010
I love it, Harry shut up Harmione I did not think ANYBODY could do that lol. I can not wait for the next chapter

post more soon

Gloria
Less Wrong chapter 8 . 3/26/2010
10 reviews in 26 days AWESOME POWA! You guys all ROCK! ROCK LIKE IGNEOUS PROTOLITH GRANITE!
SJ chapter 8 . 3/26/2010
Brilliant! Making Hermione question the world around her and her conclusion about it. I am eager to see where this takes our heroine.

I love Rational!Harry. Wouldn't it be nice if more folks thought for themselves instead of enslaving themselves to others's opinions? Looking foward to more of this fic.
Wulfenbach chapter 8 . 3/26/2010
yay! reality shifts!
Prince Charon chapter 8 . 3/26/2010
This is good. Really, really good.

Randomly, I wonder how this Harry would react to a spell that makes you immune to all Muggle weapons, but doesn't protect you at all from totally non-magical arrows that were made by Centaurs (something I can easily believe the Wizarding world would have).

Comed-Tea is just bizarre, but I believe it, here.
shenmi meiren chapter 8 . 3/26/2010
omg!

wow

really - wow

you a fan of pratchett by any chance?

i'm really impressed. especially by both harry-draco and harry-minerva interactions

can't wait for snape! :D

plus: have you read all those books? or better still - have you understood them? ;]
hemotem chapter 8 . 3/26/2010
Baffle them with Bull S* or in Harrys case baffle them with science Fact! I so look forward to seeing where this goes and hope to see more of this in the near future.

Hemotem
1Batman4u chapter 8 . 3/26/2010
So now Harry and the Twins are in a competition to see who can out-weird the most people. Very well done to Neville.

The observation aspect of traditional scientific method is often limited by what you can sense and perceive. Perhaps Harry could pay to get his glasses charmed to see magical auras like the spell “Arcane Sight” (Sor/Wiz3), although not in first year as that could prematurely reveal Voldemort in the back of Quirrell's head. Fortunately, there are several scrying devices that could be cheaply modified to better understand the phenomena referred to as “magic.”

omnioculars could function as a microscope with a little adjustment.

monitors for underage magic (J.K.R. was inconsistent about the methods used to do so)

sneakoscope

foe-glass

Electronic devices don’t work at Hogwarts, somewhat implying that there’s electromagnetic disruption involved, so a bolometer and spectrometer would be useful in control group studies far away from Hogwarts.
blue artemis chapter 8 . 3/26/2010
Percy? I can just see Hermione annoyed by this Harry who can give her an intellectual run for her money. And the prefects should not have annoyed Harry.
lord Martiya chapter 8 . 3/26/2010
And so Hermione met the male version of Qiao... Poor girl.
Drac-frst chapter 8 . 3/26/2010
Congratulations, you've made an intelligent Harry that's positively hilarious to watch interact with people. You've also, apparently, struck the Harry/Draco nuts who care not one bit about a character's canon sexuality, but only about what they can rant and rave and imagine with all the might of their feeble imaginations. Please, I don't care one way or the other about Draco - he's a perfectly fine character if done right and not "mysteriously" turned homosexual and obsessed with Harry and/or Harry's ass. I just don't think you should let your readers influence you to the point of changing the direction of your planned plot though. Fewer authors than I would like actually bother to plan out their plots beforehand, and seeing it change just because a few Draco-obsessed nuts clamor and yell is a little disappointing. I want to read what *you* write and plan. Not what the mindless fanbase thinks. I certainly think you've been doing pretty well so far. Just don't let reviewers push you out of your comfort zone or turn this into a story it was never meant to be... ok? I like where it's been going perfectly fine as it is.

Looking forward to the next update!
Meandering Fox chapter 8 . 3/26/2010
Awesome, even though my brain hurts a little bit. Looking forward to the next chapter.
drvash chapter 8 . 3/26/2010
Don’t forget that Nyphadore Tonks is in here seventh and final year at Hogwarts. She’s a Hufflepuff and a rare Metamorphmagus.

In canon, Tonks wasn't a prefect, but this is your story so she could be a prefect if you wanted her to be, just like how Peter Pettigrew is dead and buried in the Weasley's backyard. Tonks didn’t get decent control over her shapeshifting until mid-way through her Auror training with Mad-Eye Moody.
Perspicacity chapter 8 . 3/26/2010
No offense, but truth and beauty probably should be top and bottom in the time when Harry Potter is set. (As a bright-eyed young physicist, I spent a summer in the early 1990s helping to build and install detectors on CDF, the one that discovered the first top quark).

Nice chapter, by the way. I enjoyed it more than the last, which felt a little too preachy with too much infodump in one place. This one was comparably rich in background material, but more polished in how you handled matters. Harry takes a turn for the complex in this chapter, which makes me much more interested in him and, by extension, this story.
firelordeg chapter 8 . 3/26/2010
wonderful chapter thank you for sharing please continue to update a.s.a.l.a.
Fasor chapter 8 . 3/26/2010
I quite like the story so far and I am looking forward to seeing where you are going. Since you mentioned that you will put in more about Draco because of Readership Feedback, I wanted to ask you not to put in too much about Draco. Just to consider the balance.

Cheers

-Fasor
michael68 chapter 8 . 3/26/2010
“PC or NPC, that is the question.” Classy!

In fairness to Neville, if Severus Snape offered me candy, I’d run away screaming too (they’re likely poisoned or something). It reminds me of a “Got Milk?” commercial where a dead guy thinks he’s in Heaven and eats a cookie, only to realize that there’s no milk and that he’s in Hell.

On the plus side, Neville might not be so pudgy if he developed a fear of sweets and cookies.

“Lemon drops are made from people!”

(like the movie ‘Soylent Green’)
Eternal Raine chapter 8 . 3/26/2010
Aw! You made me love Hermione! The poor girl! She doesn't know what hit her! And poor Neville! I'm guessing that Percy(?) is about to get reamed. I wonder if you're going to have Neville join the group. He does after all, have reputation and influence with his family name... Reading Harry talk makes my head hurt. XD Let's just say there's no way I would ever make it into Ravenclaw.
hordac85 chapter 8 . 3/26/2010
wonderful work. I love the way you turned Hermoine (& possibly Neville)away from Gryffindor.
BOOKgod22 chapter 8 . 3/26/2010
I love the way you portray Hermione in this it seems to be the way a smart but emotional kid would act when confused. And congradulations on getting 1,0 reviews before your tenth chapter.
Shining Ducky chapter 8 . 3/26/2010
This story will almost certainly hit a thousand reviews before its one-month anniversary, so congratulations! That's pretty incredible.
quickshot0 chapter 8 . 3/26/2010
Hmm, while it is obviously important for the kid to find the toad, isn't he being slightly to forceful about it? making it a bit to much of a big deal, wouldn't that lead to potentially expectations from Neville in the future that are less then ideal?

Also, about the universe... I've been pondering for awhile if you can construct a way to map such incredibly complex outcomes, via such simple measures. But I'm not having much luck, basic thinking indicates that it is pretty unlikely that any simple universal design would allow for it either. And there is no way a human mind should be able to handle it, as you noted in the fic yourself as well. Meaning it's probably something complicated..., but well this is probably crazy complicated and Occam's Razor does not favor crazy complicated just happening.

Which led me to my current most likely theory, magic is an artifact from a super advanced civilization, or maybe the entire universe is. In either case we'd be heading more in to Clarke's law, on any sufficiently advanced technology being indistinguishable from magic. From this point of view, your comment on Atlantis would be indicative of atleast one such potential civilization. Though they'd have to have been much better then even I believe Legend typically attributes them to be, to be pull this cute trick.

Still, what ever the exact details of how they make the effects work, you'd need a godlike AGI or near AGI system, to be able to keep up with all the permutations that can crop up. And to continue to get acceptable results.

So anyway, that's the best I've managed to think up of at the moment on the topic, maybe I'll figure something else out later on still, though I'm really not sure how to otherwise handle the excessively complex issues that arise... now that I think about it, it would be very hard to even create the illusion the magic works as it does for a sufficiently wary observer... Well not that Harry has all the equipment he could use for such observation yet. Though this is leaning a bit towards a Reality Engineering AGI or some such...
troyguffey chapter 8 . 3/26/2010
LOVE this story!

Hermione only has POTENTIAL as a scientist at this point, right? She's not educated in the proper true scientific manner of thought yet.

Callous Gryffy prefect! No biscuit!
lordamnesia chapter 8 . 3/26/2010
Fantastic story! Poor Neville and Hermione!
Paralelsky chapter 8 . 3/26/2010
"bows to the master". I must say this is the most original first meeting between Harry and Hermione I've read since I've started reading fanfiction. Why am I not surprised, I wonder? "grin"
germankitty aka Dagmar Buse chapter 8 . 3/26/2010

BEST. LINE. EVAR!

I think I'm going to love the trunk ...

As I'm not at all scientifically-minded (I can barely understand the empirical method), I'm having trouble at certain points, but I know enough from my "soft science" (Linguistics) background to enjoy this enormously. Probably much more than I should, but ... who cares?

MORE!

Please?
GinnyLover14 chapter 8 . 3/26/2010
Let me guess. Percy.

Thats the only word that needs to be said.
Thekilleregglord chapter 8 . 3/26/2010
Yeah update!

Couple of thoughts. First the whole bit where Hermione mentions that Sirius didn't get a trial sounds very forced, as her doubts aren't backed up by cannon, make it seem like your doing some stupid Sirius rescuing, would only exist if the book explicitly drew attention to that fact - otherwise lack of mention of a trial would not imply that one did not take place, especially in a place as legally backward as the Wizarding World. Maybe Harry would find that information after digging, but it sounds stupid for Hermione to volunteer the information after reading three books which only dealt tangentially with the subject. After all if you read that Martha Stewert was arrested for SEC violations in some history book, your mind jumps to fill in the trial and sentencing, because that is the common journalistic practice for English speakers. We assume that if someone takes note of an arrest, and doesn't follow it with a discussion of the uncertainty, then that person was convicted. So that bit seemed forced.

I'm beginning to think that the proper way to enjoy this story isn't as a coming of age tale where Harry learns and grows in a humorous way, but rather as a set of enjoyable scenes in which Rationalist!Harry meets cannon characters and problems. Mostly because the dialogue appears to want to become Atlas Shrugged when it grows up, and tell the world all about the value of science and rationalism while paying lip service to plot and character development.

This is a bit unfair since you have (in the last two chapters) advanced the plot and character bits quite well, but it seems a bit schizophrenic, like you have the whole story mapped out with all the changes and challenges the characters go through but when you get down to writing it you have so much fun with Harry's responses to everything that it ends up taking forever for the story to go anywhere.

I mean we're at 44,0 words and Harry has 1) Got his letter, 2) bought his crap, 3) got on the train. JK Rowling took 76,944 words to tell the whole story of first year. At your pace you'll be lucky to finish it in 5 times that amount.

I really enjoy this story, its a lot of fun and I am quite happy whenever I see you update. Yet I feel like your quite a good writer who can make a really good contribution to the standing corpus of HP fanfiction. For one, I think the story would be better if you synthesized the amount of dialogue with the amount of action, you don't need to talk about everything.

Oh well, I can't wait for the next update and as one DLP member (if a lurker) I quite like this story.
faithaholic chapter 8 . 3/26/2010
Aw... poor Hermione. I sympathize though, that's how I feel after my Logic class. Awesome chapter though.
Baughn chapter 8 . 3/26/2010
That's one way to get her into ravenclaw. :)

It actually took me several days to consider that the lords of chaos might be just gred and forge, which saddens me. Well, at least I wasn't /mistaken/ on that.

And.. right, the title of the first book was "Harry Potter and the philosopher's stone", wasn't it?

The fireworks are likely to be impressive. I'm looking forward to it.
SituationalExtrovert chapter 8 . 3/26/2010
Oh, goody! Smart!Harry has morphed into KICKA$$!Harry!

Some poor Gryffindor prefect has no idea that his/her life is now - for all intents and purposes - at an ignoble end.

My cup runneth over!

On to Snape, please!

By the way, are you in need of minions? Acolytes? Sycophants? Where do I apply?

Please, mum, could we have some more?

Cheers,

Adriann
Zicou chapter 8 . 3/26/2010
Another awesome chapter!

Continue,

Z.
acelly chapter 8 . 3/26/2010
Good lord this is brilliant!

I love you and want to bear your babies! This might be a little difficult as I'm a man but I'm sure that, somehow, you'll be able to come up with a way to overcome that minor, insignificant problem. :-)

Really looking forward to the next chapter!
Ralyn Longs chapter 8 . 3/26/2010
Reading this story is a positively delightful experience. That said, I delayed reading chapter 7 so that I wouldn't have to 'tune in' for just one short chapter. But then I read that chapter 7 was 12k words, you see, so I got excited, thinking I now had 2x 12k words. But then chapter 8 was small-ish again - the inconsistency is vexing.

That is the absolute extent of my worries about this fic (well, provided you keep a fast pace - 8 chapters up to the train means either you'll be writing for years, or you'll abandon your story half-way through) - thanks for writing!
AngelForm chapter 8 . 3/26/2010
It was always slightly puzzling why The-Smartest-Girl-In-Her-Year wasn’t in Ravenclaw. On the other hand why Harry didn’t get put in with the puffs is an equally suspicious question.

I get the feeling that you have a P.H.D or two lying around.

Interesting look at the inner thought of Granger.
gand982 chapter 8 . 3/26/2010
Love this story, love the treatment of Hermione. More please. Thanks for sharing.
Allen Pitt chapter 8 . 3/26/2010
Hm... and now Harry's trunk is molesting Hermione's? Maybe this is how magical trunks reproduce.

Gee, and you've got him recruiting Hermione (essential to this task, probably) and decisively turning against Gryffindor. Still-hissing like a snake? His intended destination of Ravenclaw may not be as certain as he thinks.

I have to say, his encounter with the Sorting Hat should be epic. Might drive it insane.
odonata617 chapter 8 . 3/26/2010
Brilliant.
Mel72000 chapter 8 . 3/26/2010
Very great chapter, I love it !
masterlich chapter 8 . 3/26/2010
love it cant wait for the next chapter
Arkeus chapter 8 . 3/26/2010
Really like the way you are shuffling their Houses around.

Wouldn't be surprised if all three ended up in Hufflpuff, as Ravenclaw Prefect will show they don't *study* things, they just *study how to get good marks*.
Queenofununu chapter 8 . 3/26/2010
Ha! Brilliant again.

Please do not leave out the upcoming confrontation in your next chapter!

Keep up the good work.
jtptan chapter 8 . 3/26/2010
Good show!

One thing, at the end, Hermione is very confused and calls the book "History: A Hogwarts" in her thoughts. While I get what you were doing there I don't know how well it actually works.

The Luna thing - I'm not sure if it's just Draco saying what he heard or what's true in this world, but it always seemed to me in the books that it was more Luna following her father in the crazy stuff rather than the other way around.

I'm glad that Harry and the Weasley twins can't have traumatized Neville *too* much if he went back to Harry & Hermione after talking to Percy, I mean, 'the mean Griffindor prefect'.
DvorakQ chapter 8 . 3/26/2010
Hurricane Harry is on the loose :)

I really liked this line "I make it that peculiar. You're looking at the product of a lot of hard work and elbow grease."

Good update! Please keep finding the inspiration to continue writing this fic :)
Ceralyn chapter 8 . 3/26/2010
Why didn't adults ever help? She wished some other girl would just walk up to her and say, "Hermione, the teacher told me to be friends with you."

Lol. I just LOVED that. Your characterization of Hermione is so cute and very faithful to canon too.

I also liked how she was challenged on thinking. I don't doubt that Hermioen can think and reason well enough - there's plenty proof of that. But she is often challenged.

Fantastic first meeting between Hermione and Harry, though I hope Harry doesn't scare her too much. Nice way of getting her to think more logically on Gryffindor. She'll make a great Ravenclaw.

I really don't think Harry's first method of helping Neville was very helpful, but this second attempt for the toad looks to be much better.

Thanks for giving some Harry-Hermione time - look forward to reading more!
Aries The Ram chapter 8 . 3/26/2010
Wow, just plain Wow.

The excercise with Neville was hilarious, as an understatement and I can't help but feel completely gob smacked at the way your portraying Hermoine.

Its not bad in any way, but I know a few of us were expecting Harry's equal in some sort of way, but now its shifted to Hermione being the sidekick and Harry being the odd ruler of the universe. Everything he said certainly put me through a loop and I consider myself a fairly intelligent person.

Though I guess thats the difference between being put through a loop and being left in the dust somewhere along the axis.
J-Kid chapter 8 . 3/26/2010
And, now we have Hermione! YAY! Plus Neville! I wonder what will happen next, I am loving this story. :-D
CJNyfalt chapter 8 . 3/26/2010
Excellent chapter. I really liked the positive bias part. The only thing that I disliked was that the chapter was so short.
jojobevco chapter 8 . 3/26/2010
Epic Chapter, I hope this will be a Harry/Hermione story.
Aealket chapter 8 . 3/26/2010
Hi,

I so love what you are doing to the characters. Harry is way more fun this way. And the kids are mostly kids. Thanks for the meeting with Hermione.

Alan
Wonderbee31 chapter 8 . 3/26/2010
Why do I have this insane image of the three of them leaping and dancing around Neville there, LOL, na d got to say, that was a heck of a meeting with Hermione, and looks like Gryffindor's been put out a little bit for the time being, and hoping that we get to see more of the aftermath of Harry maybe tearing the prefect off his horse, who sounds a lot like it'd be Percy?
Paultagoras chapter 8 . 3/26/2010
I have to say... I have a feeling I'm going to love the interactions between Harry and Hermione.
Shadowed Voices chapter 8 . 3/26/2010
This is bloody fantastic! I like how Harry can seem all mean, but is actually not, and then get all scary-like when someone is actually mean. Good work!
perestroika chapter 8 . 3/26/2010
Truth and beauty aren't quarks, top and bottom are.