Reviews for Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality
Majerus chapter 88 . 7/17/2019
You're having way too much fun with this.
Del chapter 88 . 9/19/2018
HAHA, YES

But also

oh my gah nooooooo what’s this sense of impending doom
Guest chapter 88 . 4/26/2017
I swear if this is all an elaborate plot by Dumbledore to force reality to conform to a story-plot he contrived in his head, then I will go crazy. And applaud.
Guest chapter 88 . 4/22/2017
Not the bathrooms, huh?
The Anguished One chapter 88 . 9/8/2016
Ah, the troll has arrived. A shame Quirrell wasn't the one to announce it, I always got a laugh from that scene. Fred and George knowing about Harry's Patronus could be a problem, but I imagine they'll lose that memory or will simply promise to keep the secret.
JD73hsnHSBDF chapter 88 . 9/4/2016
Madam Pince is really very NPC ...
Guest chapter 88 . 6/4/2016
Two ways to have cleared Hermione:
Priori Incantatum
Go back 6 hours with a time turner and tell someone else with a time turner to go back to the time of the attack and watch. Harry could even ask the time turner girl to go back and warn him. Different people with different time turners no broken rules.
Montara chapter 88 . 1/26/2016
I can't believe nobody wanted to help Harry find Hermione except a very few...it shouldn't have matter who the student was...but I wonder what would Harry have done if it was someone else, would he have gone after them?

That trol is obviously a distraction. Hope Hermione is alright!
WatchingTheWatchman chapter 88 . 12/10/2015
Please don't kill Hermione!
GreatWyrmGold chapter 88 . 9/13/2015
The rising panic Harry experiences as he realizes the danger Hermione's in nicely mirrors the dawning realization which comes to readers who don't think significantly faster than they read. Similarly, I doubt many people even thought of the Patronus 2.0 until Harry did. I approve heartily and wish more authors could match viewpoint-character and audience thoughts and emotions.
PA chapter 88 . 5/24/2015
It begins!
My Swagg Level Its over 9000 chapter 88 . 3/30/2015
0.3 percent the speed of light is more than nine-hundred thousand meters per second.
ronald.lambert.503 chapter 88 . 2/16/2015
I think you missed the signficance of Filch's cat. He called her "Mrs. Norris." This suggests to me that the cat was actually a faulty animagus, that got stuck in its animagus form of a cat, and could not change back. Argus Filch knew her as a human, and she was the one being whom Filch truly loved. Her death was a tragedy. (And I admit I am a cat lover.)
lizzyjean chapter 88 . 8/24/2014
Right after reading Chapter 88, I just happened to read your notes for Chapter 77 which said, in part:

"(2) Thinking abstractly about the degree of tension that needs to hold in a particular place in the text, was very helpful in letting me see which events couldn’t happen, or needed to happen at a later point. For example, you can’t have a joke, or certain kinds of jokes, while you’re trying to build tension – laughter dissipates tension."

Chapter 88 is definitely a Tension Building chapter. Yet is also has a really funny joke in it. When Harry's Patronus comes back and says, "Hermione Granger says AHHHHHHHHH", I totally cracked up and had to stop reading for a minute to just enjoy that silly joke, in spite of how truly worried I was about Hermione! So, how does that fit into your tension building strategy? It seems like sometimes a compelling distraction - even if it' a funny joke - can actually build tension around the main thrust of the story that you're even more anxious to follow because you're being distracted - ?
thepkrmgc chapter 88 . 8/5/2014
i was wondering when the troll would show up, great timing too!
The bad quoter chapter 88 . 7/14/2014
This chapter came as a weird kind of a relief. To me Hermione has seemed as a pretty uninteresting character considering her start-out potential. I had wished for her mind to develop into something just remotely as creative, altruistic, reflective and delightful as Harry. I might be biased given I am female and not really fond of the rather flat Hermione-stereotype from the books (it's too close to home in a not good way).

It seems to me she was even more restricted in her way of thinking than I was at that age (And since Harry deems her as someone in the 2 percentile of the population or likewise (I do not mean IQ, but intelligence) there is a difference in intelligence to be taken into account here too). (I do hope) it takes a truly special uprbringing for such an intelligent person to be so... not narrow-minded as much as not able to go broad-minded. Maybe I should learn from Quirrells pessimism.

I needed for 1 more narrator to broaden the story, until know it is very much narrated by Harry trying to manoeuvre between a bunch of manipulating grown-ups. Draco, not being on the altrustic side just yet, does not really fit the reader-relatable-role. Before the plotting it worked with just Harry as narrator, but as things are getting heated up you sometimes need to get out of his crowded mind and his perspective so as not to get too biased.

And exactly how far will Quirrel go to teach Harry to lose? He seems to be taking pretty (and be ready to take even more) desperate measures. Might wonder (someone mentioned time travel) exactly how much the later Harry is going to screw up, and whether Quirrel knows and has gone back in time to prevent it/ recieved a message from the future telling him to/ being a descendant from Atlantis (or other conspiracy theory themed thoughts like that) or if he might just be very, very intelligent. I'll go for the last one.

Besides, I am looking forward to all those books that will make me laugh/smile and think back of this fanfic. Every adolescent should read this, though quite a few of my peers seem to be might be out of reach. Altruism is my favorite word, I do hope it survives.
Guest chapter 88 . 6/4/2014
Oh shit... !
Navadda chapter 88 . 1/19/2014
Is this the right way to report typos?

Final paragraph: that that
Anon chapter 88 . 7/11/2013
Dramatic music, vivid imagination, and the way you drag out sentences, makes for a high-paced and chaotic experience, made by mere words. It's amazing how words can deliver all of these things, just mere little symbols conveying so much from mind to mind
Pistols-at-dawn chapter 88 . 7/6/2013
My browser keeps cutting off the title as "harry potter and the meth"
just so everyone knows
G01den Unicorn 11 chapter 88 . 7/5/2013
Brienne is awesome and I want to see more of her.

"Minerva felt a stab of dismay in her other self, she hadn't liked the other cat very much but the two of them had still been felines." That bit of humor seems misplaced.

Excellent action scene at the end.

It is not obvious to me why Harry wasted time looking for a broomstick companion.

I thought "roughly 0.3% the speed of light" was strangely appropriate.

I enjoyed McGonagall's comment that it was a good idea to never trust the Defense Professor in that sort of situation.
solipsist chapter 88 . 7/3/2013
I loved this chapter. The Ticking scene was one of the best tension builders in the book.

Sadly, the momentum faded next chapter. I half-skimmed the battle with the troll, which I assumed was a hasty upgrade-pack for Hermione and the twins ahead of the book's climax. I suspect my lack of excitement next chapter stemmed from pacing this one.

* The perceived threat to Hermione diminished as Harry got closer to finding her. We didn't see the tension climaxing in her battle - we saw the ugency abating in his search.
* Trolls don't strike fear into the hearts of men. If someone had recapitulated Quirell's lesson on them, or the Troll had done something more threatening than eat Mrs. Norris, I might have been more conviced that the battle was for realz.
* The obliviated Weasley twins felt like hapless NPCs, not like Hermione's betters. The twins haven't established themselves as bad-asses, and their memory problems had horn effects.

Side note: I was often confused about where Harry was, physically, when he wasn't standing in the great hall or in the library.

But, as I said, this was a great chapter.
Raji7b chapter 88 . 7/2/2013
isn't this a little too cliche?
what is the probability of Herm crying in a bathroom and a Troll being let into the school, and finding that exact bathroom. Are you gonna use selected cannon improbable events whenever they fit your plot?
fontgoddess chapter 88 . 7/1/2013
Further thoughts from chapters 88-89:

You had Hermione notice she was a secondary character and fight against that. She works hard to level-up as thinker and a fighter. Then her climactic battle comes and she doesn't get to fight or die from her own POV. This bothers me more than her actual death, which bothers me a whole lot.

The systematic disempowerment of Hermione (and of Draco) in the later parts of this fic bothers me, but not as much as the complete disappearance of their agency as they are shoved offstage in favor of the titular hero. The fic has suffered as those characters got shoved into familiar tropes and finally the background. This fic was better when you were subverting characterization tropes, not just the tropes of plotting. I expected more from you due to your lampshading of the relevant tropes earlier in the story, and I remain somewhat hopeful that you will somehow show the agency of these characters rather than leaving them demoted to plot devices. The complete disappearance of Draco, however, makes me fear that Hermione, too, will get no further POV chapters, permanently removing the complexity those additional POVs gave the story and what made the it so exceptional earlier.
Shay McSudonim chapter 88 . 7/1/2013
Hermonie can't die.
Hermioinie can't die.
Hermonie cannot die.
She only reads books, and she cannot die.
Not even if she's reading a how-to-die book...
TT_TT
badkidoh chapter 88 . 7/1/2013
Yet another great chapter.
Also i reread ch 85-87 and there still great.
Guest chapter 88 . 7/1/2013
This strongly brings to mind Quirrel's statement about how Harry would be less forgiving when people's stupidity cost him something dear to him, rather than the horrible deaths of a hundred strangers.
Guest chapter 88 . 7/1/2013
And the really sad thing is that if Harry had just thought to send his Patronus to Dumbledore he could have saved Hermione easily.
Wow, an update!
Rjalker chapter 88 . 6/30/2013
Someone else replied to this, raising her voice, but Harry didn't catch much of it, the gist was that mountain trolls were highly magic-resistant and incredibly strong and could regenerate but they were still noisy so if you heard them coming, it shouldn't be that hard for a Hogwarts Professor to wrap them up in Vadim's Unbreakable something something.

Tick.

And Harry still didn't realize.

And that's when I realized.

"WHERE THE FRAK IS HERMIONE?"
kruchy85 chapter 88 . 6/30/2013
So - Quirrel and Trelawney alone - I guess he will get all the prophecies he wants from her. I wonder if he somehow planted the idea to pair them together in the Gryffindor girl's mind.

Also - great to see new chapters of HPMOR:)
pistols-at-dawn chapter 88 . 6/30/2013
update! im so happy right now u have no idea
Wandering Airhead chapter 88 . 6/30/2013
I also don't see Brienne as Hermione. She was described as giving Harry an interested look. I can't see Hermione sending Harry that sort of look in a stituation where she is beeing miracolously saved from death. That does not make any sort of sense.
jdboss1 chapter 88 . 6/30/2013
Dont let Hermione stay Dead
Niqi chapter 88 . 6/30/2013
Forgot to mention this in my chapter 89 review, but this works too. Because of all the mentions of time and time fracturing and stuff these two chapters, and Hermione meeting that mysterious figure/shining lady she doesn't remember meeting who I swear was going to explain something by saying "time travel" before it changed its mind, I hypothesize that Harry is going to break time. Somehow.
On the other hand, you've established stable time-loop time travel, so how the hell Harry expects to change anything by going into the past is beyond me.
On the other other hand, if he ends the world and tears apart the very stars in heaven, what the hell can't he do?
Cait.C chapter 88 . 6/30/2013
After getting over the inital shock, I'm more and more convinced that the solution is time travel. Maybe the mention chapters ago of Bill thinking that he had traveled years back in time, was less a parody of peggy sue and more of a foreshadowing? And this chapter was emphasizing the time a lot and Atlantis is mentioned again after a very long time in the next chapter. If I remember correctly Atlantis dissappeared in a time rift or something? And travelling back in time to overwrite the current timeline is like bringing the end of the world: it would "destroy" the current world and replace it with a new timeline. So that part of the prophecy would be fulfilled.
On the other hand, maybe a time travelling Harry is already messing around? And someone, maybe Mr. Hat-and-Cloak, might actually /be/ future!Harry... wait before I make such kind of guesses, I should go back to reread a few chapters. I don't remember a lot of things as clearly as I'd like to.
(Alternatively this universe is already a new alternate timeline that overwrote the canon events. Explaining why Bill thought Scabbers was Peter: he came from the canon timeline. Also Sirius might be time travelling. That's how he knew to escape and put Peter in his stead in Azkaban. The prisoner in Azkaban who is not "serious" is Peter and there was that Quibbler headline where it was speculated that Sirius and Peter are one and the same person. But that would imply that Luna is... but the point of divergence for this story's AU is Petunia not marrying Vernon, so Petunia is... but no, it's possible that it was actually Lily, because she decided to be nice to her sister compared to her canon counterpart... *continues to rant madly about time travel conspiracies*)
As for tearing apart the stars... maybe Harry will do that in search of Quirrelmort's Horcrux in space?
fractalman chapter 88 . 6/30/2013
oh. and I am not 90-95%% sure that Quirrel is behind the (big event of this chapter pair).
more like 60-80%. there are still other characters who could be behind any one event...
Snape; Oh wouldn't that be ironic. then again, you DID manage to restore his status as a wildcard character. and it was never clear what, exactly, he was trying to do with the bully thing...(it seemed to me he got most of what he wanted, but I'm not sure what, exactly, he wanted out of that...was he trying to get at Granger while easing his conscience or...?)

Dumbledore-wasn't he going to return the map to the twins? how sane/insane is he, anyways? (is he merely insane by the standards of a baysian, or his he insane by lesser human standards?) (And did he BURN Narcissa, did he pheonix her away, or did he let himself be framed for it?)
Aberforth-tampered with the Weasley-mind(s) before; could have done so again. has unknown capabilities and intentions in this fic.
Sprout-original prior of 5% probability behind each plot courtesy of the "last person anyone would suspect"; I'll arbitrarily update it to 2.5% here, but only to make room for the huge increase in "quirrel did it"; "last suspect" plot-twists give really weird updates.

Mr. Malfoy: he has the motive (hurt hermione and harry in one blow), but would have extreme difficulty with the means.
esscsc chapter 88 . 6/30/2013
i should also have said, i am really, really impressed by the twins, they did *really well* :)
L.E chapter 88 . 6/30/2013
Great chapter! Super exciting!
Lenore chapter 88 . 6/30/2013
While reading through this chapter I just realized that I'm reading all of Harry's dialogue in Sheldon Cooper's voice. Hell it might as well be named Sheldon Cooper and the Methods of Rationality
YlvaThorgalsdottir chapter 88 . 6/30/2013
Thank you so much for updating!

I can't believe I actually *can* believe this turn of events. I guess it was so heavily foreshadowed that I was prepared for it, kind of.
Guest chapter 88 . 6/30/2013
So Madam Pince could have also died? If they didn't stop the troll? I realize he had no time, but somebody had to think about it. For example, the Professors of Hogwarts... also, didn't Hermione have her own super-bag for storage of all her things? Or it was tempered with, too?
Mavarax chapter 88 . 6/30/2013
What was the deal with Brienne? Was it just a way to get a cameo in? Because that seems an unlikely way for Both Harry and her to react. Harry seems unlikely to start talking about AI to a random magical person, and a random magical person seems more likely to with confusion, than by understanding what he's trying to set. Although she could just be trying to pretend that she understands, or be a relatively intelligent muggle born.

And why would the Weasleys treat being a squib as a reason to not prank someone? Even someone Like Filch? That seems remarkably out of character for them, given how much I would assume they dislike him, due to their need to evade him. Also, just noticed, on my third read through, that Harry was likening Hermione's situation to Hagrid's and the chamber of Secret's, in an attempt to et more sympathy. And I note that the people who helped Harry get out of the Great Hall were of the sunshine regiment, and some who tried to stop him were of the Chaos Legion.

That someone changed Fred and George's memories is interesting, I'm assuming that they also took the map, so are likely to be in Hogwart's. I'm guessing Mr Hat-and-Cloak, Quirrel or Snape. Dumbledore would also have a use for it, and clearly knows that it exists, but seems capable of using it in a time of dire need anyway, and so I assign him a lower probability of taking it. Although I would assume that whoever took it would keep it on them, what with it being so useful on short notice, and Quirrel didn't use it, but Snape would have had a definite use for it, to help guard the Stone. On the other hand, Quirrel may simply have wanted to deny Harry the ability to find Hermione quickly, and not needed to use the map. And the stealer would have needed to know that it exists and was possessed by the Weasley Twins, and to deduce that someone has something from their actions seems like Quirrel's style, after he deduced Harry's cloak and time turner.

That Patroni can find people is interesting, and Fred and George now know of Harry's Patronus, which could have interesting repercussions, although I never understood why his Patronus need be so secret, just put it down to regular Boy Who Lived weirdness, people would most likely not care, unless they saw it destroy a Dementor.

Incidentally, that Harry didn't crash into anything I find very hard to believe, although I guess the broomstick does work on Aristolean physics, which has got to help. And I hope that 0.3% of the speed of light was an exaggeration.
Lendary chapter 88 . 6/30/2013
Alright, now that I have recovered enough to use complete sentences again, some actual feedback:
Maybe I'm just beeing stupid and overlooking something, but how could this have happened? Harry's timeturner may not be useable now, but he WILL be able to use it some hours later. With the way time-travel works in Harry Potter, a future version of Harry should have appeared and helped Hermione back to the hall before anyone knew that something was wrong, giving her a note for his past self that explains what he has to do in the process. The way it is now, Harry would try to go back in time to save Hermione, but since she is already dead and time travel in Harry Potter can't change the past, because the past people see already takes the time-travel into account, a paradox would ensue.
Also it would really help if Hermione's death-scene was written from her perspective and a little longer. The way it is now, it feels kind of rushed and the emotions don't have time to sink in.
TDB chapter 88 . 6/30/2013
Chapter 87 still has the notice at the end saying it is the end of the line.
I hate giving vague praise, without describing what made me happy or excited. This chapter is pretty great, I'm not quite sure why. The "tick tick tick " is a good touch, Harry's mounting panic. Quirrell and McGonigal in good form. I like this fanfic much better than any of the novels I've read in the past year. I'm not sure when I began to like it better than canon.
esran chapter 88 . 6/29/2013
best troll incident ever
flame5495 chapter 88 . 6/29/2013
Oh no, you can just feel this going from bad to worse...
DarkRavie chapter 88 . 6/29/2013
Great story! I can't wait to read what happens in your next chapter.
becuzitswrong chapter 88 . 6/29/2013
That was freaking amazing! I loved that Harry challenged them all, but no one stepped up to the plate except Fred and George. And now we find that the Marauder's Map is missing and they've also been memory charmed. Makes you wonder if there is even the slightest bit of integrity in the Wizarding World...
Darklooshkin chapter 88 . 6/29/2013
And I totally saw this coming... not. Thank you for those inspired chapters. Hermione dies and Harry's destined to pretty much initiate a time war/open the outer gates/turn the universe into chunky salsa paste as a result? Ahoy, this is going to be awesome.
Lazurman chapter 88 . 6/29/2013
AAAAAHHH! THIS IS SO FAHKING INTENSE!

Time's runnin' out, boya! Save your girl!
xlightningz chapter 88 . 6/29/2013