Reviews for Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality
Matt chapter 90 . 8/31/2021
Another *near* failure Harry forgot to mention to McGonagall: she tried her hardest to prevent Harry from getting that healing kit in Diagon Alley, saying that monsters don't just eat your friends inside Hogwarts...you might almost consider that foreshadowing ;)
ChubbyQween chapter 90 . 2/3/2021
Spoiler for this fic here. Proceed with caution.

Oh my God! You killed her. You just killed her. It's like Order Of Phoenix all over again. You never think death will ever come to your favourite characters and then Bam! One horrifying release of soul at the most unexpected time.
zoey.amatuer.writer chapter 90 . 4/8/2020
You tore my soul into imperfect shreds and drowned them in my blood.
How could you kill Hermionie?
Alyce and Indi chapter 90 . 12/31/2019
Three things I'm having trouble with.

One. You. Killed. Hermione.

Two. Ninety chapters, and we're still in first year. Are all 660k words going to be first year?

Three. An eleven year old, talking, behaving like Harry does? I've been eleven. I have an eleven-year-old brother who is incredibly creative, and my gosh he'd never think of some of this stuff. Just saying, your Harry does not feel eleven.
Majerus chapter 90 . 7/17/2019
I'm honestly lost as to when quirelmort is quirelmort and not.
Guest chapter 90 . 12/10/2017
Quirrel you traitor! I thought you want to turn Harry dark! Why would you keep him out of the restricted section? (And prevent him from saving Hermione?!)
Guest chapter 90 . 12/10/2017
To the other guest yeah, the weasels have muggle names too although they aren't but that might be because Mr. Weasely is obsessed with the muggle world.
Guest chapter 90 . 12/10/2017
Yessss, he wants to bring her back! I think the Peverell Stone is still an option. It has to bring people back
IT HAS TO.
And not just as an illusion. Because the second brother asked for a stone to bring dead ones back and NOT make illusions of dead ones. There is no way death could've find a loophole in this. He full filled the first brothers and the third brothers wish literally and with no catch. So I find it kinda mean that he cheated his way out of the second brothers wish. MY OPINION.
Guest chapter 90 . 4/22/2017
Hermione is dead. It's in EVERYONE'S best interests that this be reversed.
Guest chapter 90 . 3/13/2017
You killed Hermione, you fucking killed Hermione, and if you don't revive her I swear to god.
Jatok chapter 90 . 11/20/2016
Awww, don't be like that whoever-you-are, i like New Harry
The Anguished One chapter 90 . 9/11/2016
I wonder whether Quirrell is really against Harry creating some spell to revive Hermione or not. His true motives will probably remain a secret until the final act of this story. Who knows, perhaps the professor is truly worried about his student.
MeanBeanDean chapter 90 . 7/25/2016
Fitting that mind magic would be located north north west.
Thingamajig chapter 90 . 6/25/2016
You can't do such things to people. This is unbearable.

I can't even begin to explain how many feelings this book stirs up in me, and in moments like Harry's conversation with McGonagall I'm just broken. Because he's painfully right in a way. And I can imagine what McGonagall must have felt (or, well, would feel, irl) /knowing/ that he's right, and that she's just one of those people who are bound to go around the world destroying things and lives because she's stupid, and useless, a role-playing NPC, not even good enough to be held responsible for her actions.

For all his good intentions and actual mental pain at the thought of a being's death, Harry is really cruel to cause such pain /anyway/. I wonder where he gets with such thinking in the end. He is constantly reminded of how most people are useless and conforming, how unflinching at others' pain and eager to judge. In Wizengamot he fantasized about feeding the people who gave themselves away to darkness to the Dementor. Yet he's still ready to sacrifice his life to destroy Azkaban and stop the suffering of people who are probably no better than that, because /most of us are not/. Where does this end? Will he ever accept it's the way people are? Will he still think them worth rescuing then? Will he mellow like Dumbledore or will he lose his morals like Quirrell, or rather this mask of Quirrell he sees - or will he become something else entirely.

From a very personal POV, wherever I'm yet to see this story going, thank you very much for this experience. I've been binge reading and reviewing the story for quite some time now and I can say that however much fun and suspence there was, this was also the first story in a very long time that has reminded me of how I once was. Quite indignant at any evil and very stable about my grasp of right and wrong, not being able to sleep at night sometimes, because the guilt was eating me away. And I'm happy to be reminded of that, because it's good to be able to see how much you have changed, and not in a good way. Thanks again :)
Guest chapter 90 . 2/26/2016
Best Fic EVER. Lucius an the others got what they deserved. Please write more stories even if it's not Harry Potter
Montara chapter 90 . 1/26/2016
So Harry can't go back in time! At least Hermione is in stasis...hope he'll find a way to bring her back! :((
GreatWyrmGold chapter 90 . 9/14/2015
Psychological destruction is, from a literary point of view, the best. It's difficult to pull off, and done poorly it weakens a work...but done well, it can make a character's struggle seem real and important, more than any galactic terror or hulking brute. In addition, the mind is the great equalizer; even a mere bully can crush a god, if she has the right insight.

Well done. And may any god that exists help Hogwarts...
Guest chapter 90 . 5/24/2015
What is he up to?
Wavelengths chapter 90 . 1/3/2015
I'm kind of still on the same wavelength as Harry right now... I'm afraid I simply can't believe you've really killed her. I only hope I'm right and won't be bitterly disappointed later to discover she really isn't coming back. Same thing with Harry's Slytherin friend, though he isn't dead. I miss Harry when he's NOT alone and miserable...
humanoidpatronus chapter 90 . 12/3/2014
"Or if I'd-if I'd only gone with-if, that night-"
Refers to the phoenix's call, I assume. As long as you keep us in the dark about Quirrel, you can extend this story even upto a thousand chapters.
thepkrmgc chapter 90 . 8/5/2014
quirrell wants hermionie to stay dead and stay away from the resticted section and spell creation, and that means that there is something in the restricted section that will allow him create a spelll to bring her back...
Kakareen chapter 90 . 6/17/2014
...my brain finally caught up with me. You f*cking fridged Hermione. You fridged her. 'Female character death for the purpose of motivating and giving purpose to the hero'. You /fridged/ her. ...I feel kind of sick now.
Guest chapter 90 . 6/4/2014
Wrenching.

"Rule Eight," said the Defense Professor. "Any technique which is good enough to defeat me once is good enough to learn myself."

Good one.
jesse chapter 90 . 3/18/2014
Ok, many things I can forgive in this fanfic (I truly love it!), but part of this chapter is just plain stupid. Harry and Quirrell being confused about the "mysterious" act of creating new spells... C'mon, Harry had JUST BEEN TAUGHT a spell that Professor Flitwick invented, to beat Moody. At the end of the chapter it's Obviously Quirrell had been slightly bluffing, since he orders professors not to speak to Harry about spell making, but why was Harry confused about it? Did he so easily forget he was just taught a spell that one of his professors invented? If he remembered, and truly cared, he knew all he had to do was talk to Professor Flitwick to get the answers he wanted.
Makokam chapter 90 . 1/25/2014
Despite what Dumbledore said, now that his time-turner is unlocked, why doesn't Harry just go back in time and try to save her life and fake her death ANYWAY? It seems like the sort of thing he'd do.

I'm also curious is this event was the reason you buffed trolls into "The worlds most perfect killing machine", even giving them regeneration.

Makokam out.
Lunaris-wind chapter 90 . 1/20/2014
If Hermione is truly dead, I will stop reading. You created 3 important child characters; Harry, Hermione, and Draco. One has, effectively, been banished. One is now dead. 66% of your young characters are now gone, and I hate main character death to begin with. If she does not come back, or have a hint of coming back, by the time I get to the end of what's been written, it might be one of the most disappointing stories I'll have read to date. The time I have spent reading will be a complete waste, as the love/hate feelings I have towards the story are turning to simply hate.
Artekha chapter 90 . 12/15/2013
... Sooo... .. -keeps reading-
always-kh chapter 90 . 10/31/2013
hmmmm it's hard to get a read on the man. it could be to allay suspicion and make harry all the more determined. but it could be real.
anyway that was wow not expecting that. i am rooting very very strongly for harry.
addikhabbo chapter 90 . 8/29/2013
Fuck YERAH!
Harriverse chapter 90 . 8/16/2013
Funny, for someone who wants Harry to go dark, Quirrell seems to be doing what he can to prevent Harry having access to the needed information. Is it because he wants Harry to only be able to turn to him for it? Or is it because the latest prophecy says that Harry can end the world, which is something he does NOT want?
BarbaraKaterina chapter 90 . 8/16/2013
You know, it has always irritated me when characters died because of some stupid mistake on part of another character. Not that it didn't happen often enough in real life, I guess, but it just seems so incredibly cheap. And when it's *your Harry* who does that, it just gets exponentially more ridiculous. Like *Spock* not realizing he could just drop the cold fusion device in that Vulcano in the new Star Trek. If you spend so much time depicting your character as perfectly logical, it doesn't work to have them make this sort of mistakes. I've said that before, of course, but at least there has been no one dying before. And I really don't see why you did it either - there would have been enough room for Harry to blame himself even without that ridiculous mistake with his Patronus, and it would have been much more plausible.

Also, with Harry's reaction, you're actually making an excellent case for "people should be religious, otherwise the'll go mad when their friends die," which I really don't think is your intention, but that is how it will seem to many religious readers, I believe. Specifically, to many people who have always been religious and so never had to try and deal with death the atheist way. You know, just saying.
zerozeroseven chapter 90 . 7/23/2013
Hermione's death is the saddest, most shocking, and most horrible.
I hope you can bring her back.
rc chapter 90 . 7/23/2013
can it be that prof quirell is voldie?
this story is just epic but i was really saddened by hermione's death
still, i hope the epicness will last forever
Hank chapter 90 . 7/7/2013
For everyone still speculating about all these different people being the antagonist, you should really reread the end of Chapter 89 and the beginning and end of Quirrell's scene in chapter 90.

'He'd felt the fury the boy had directed at some annoyance who was likely Dumbledore; followed by an unknown resolution whose unyielding hardness even he found adequate. With any luck, the boy had just discarded his foolish little reluctances.

Unseen by anyone, the Defense Professor's lips curved up in a thin smile. Despite its little ups and downs, on the whole this had been a surprisingly good day -

(Trelawney) "HE IS HERE. THE ONE WHO WILL TEAR APART THE VERY STARS IN HEAVEN. HE IS HERE. HE IS THE END OF THE WORLD."

...

The man tilted his head slightly. Pale eyes examined the boy as though he were a specimen of life from a distant planet, and correspondingly dangerous.

"The library?"

"Yes," Professor Quirrell said. An uncharacteristic tension had come into his voice. "I intend to strengthen the security upon the Restricted Section with certain precautions of my own devising. The current wards are a joke. And Mr. Potter must be kept out of the Restricted Section at all costs."'

So the man is now completely afraid of Harry. He broke him and then heard a prophecy, in what ever dramatic way it was proclaimed, that the one who will end the universe has arrived. How do you stop that? Hes panicking and that why he is suddenly looking to help fix Harry after killing the boy's best friend. He has to act like a good guy.

Unfortunately in the latest chapter Harry doesn't realize he is in a book and that the obvious answer is the actual answer.
EternallyPivots chapter 90 . 7/5/2013
Call me naive for being surprised, but this was a LOT darker than the rest of the fic. Of course, I guess I sort of knew something dark was coming up, but... still surprised.

Anyway, I like what you did with Quirrell. In the last chapter, it seemed like it was clear that he was, in fact, the antagonist, but you've managed to create a glimmer of doubt.

Someone said that they thought Dumbledore did it. I'm sure he didn't, though he might have let her die if it was "for the Greater Good". Once again, it's not his style, and Quirrell seemed to have been trying a bit too hard to turn Harry against Dumbledore, though it might just be to make him stronger. But that's unlikely. If this had been his plan all along, though, I wonder why he would have tried so hard to get her out of the school. On the other hand, there's a much higher probability that he had been trying to get her out of the way so Harry could turn Dark without Hermione there to stop him, and when she refused, he changed his strategy and made him Dark faster.

It was cruel, but not uncharacteristically so - the use of a death to show how useful rationality would have been. I'm almost convinced. Nice job.
Majin Hentai X chapter 90 . 7/4/2013
Harry is Grieving what will he do next?
Finariona chapter 90 . 7/3/2013
I caught myself daydreaming today about pulling the author of this fic into a plot à la Stephen King's ''Misery''... that can't be good...

Though I would not ask specifically for the revival of his heroine; rather, I'd order him to write indefinitely, because I'll never have enough of this story!

Ch. 90 managed to surprise me yet again-I was convinced Harry would go on some sort of amazing/scary/mad/brilliant rampage, and on the contrary, he exuded utter, cold calmness. It was the first time Harry came off as creepy. And /that/ was very creepy. And storytellingwise, awesome.

Quirrell so far has not during the schoolyear made efforts to appear non-evil or non-suspicious to his colleagues. Yet it seems likely that he is bullshitting McGonnagall and has in fact no intention of preventing Harry from pursuing his plan. Either Quirrell (who is actually the Dark Lord possessing a body, I'm growing sure of it) wants to make sure Harry will be able to access the restricted section and merely wants to prevent others from taking real precautions, or, as an astute reviewer pointed out, he might want to exert control on what Harry can know in order to steer him where he wants Harry to go.

And I think he wants Harry to grow into a powerful wizard just so that he can then have him as a worthy opponent to fight against. I'm basing my guess on conversations they had the day they went to Azkaban, where a lot of what Quirrell said sounded like he was speaking truthfully, assuming he really is Voldemort. (We know he speaks truthfully-as-Voldemort because we know facts about Voldemort, thanks to canon, that Harry does not know. For example, when Quirrell said he ''resolved his parental issues to his own satisfation'', we are reminded of canon Voldemort murdering his father). Due to his ignorance of canon facts, Harry could not possibly guess what Quirrell is doing or who he is, so he does not know that in many of his statements, Quirrell hides truths about Voldemort in plain sight, probably just for the sake of his own amusement. Following that logic, then, what Quirrell said to Harry about wanting Britain to grow strong should be equally true, and if Voldemort is Harry's equal, then it's obvious that his motive for wishing his opponent a strenght gain would be something along the line of wanting to have more fun.

Are my wild speculations grasping at something, you think?

My new question is now : how might Harry react when he finally learns who Quirrell and Voldemort are?
Ehann chapter 90 . 7/3/2013
I don't even know what to say here. This chapter made me feel sick inside.
merolb chapter 90 . 7/3/2013
This is one of the best stories I have ever read. Yet remeains one question: how on earth did the Headmaster miss a troll eating a student's legs? I thought the wards in Hogwarts were meant to prevent or at least alert of sudden injurie, unlike what happened to Draco (Quirrell was unable to ward her, or so he told her, and I'm still wondering what ancient device [which might also be a lie] could be more powerful regarding the safety of a student than the wards of Hogwarts). Maybe Dumbledore is behind the attack, but that would be waaaay too weird (I think).
AlpacaOverlord chapter 90 . 7/3/2013
I seriously can't tell whose side Quirrell is on. Or what he wants. Or who he is working for. Or what he gains from anything. Or exactly what he's been doing. Or what he'll do next. Or why. Or how. Or when.
I was scared of what would happen in this chapter. Now I'm just confused. Next chapter in 3 hours and 44 minutes!
terrapin01 chapter 90 . 7/3/2013
Read the last 3 chapters in one go...
A PC died? What? This is FANTASTIC, undoubtedly the best fanfic I've read. Not a single chapter has disappointed so far, only the rate at which they come about, which is easily understood. I love this story so much more than the original.
noona chapter 90 . 7/3/2013
its exciting!
Guest chapter 90 . 7/3/2013
Given that the Defense Professor has encountered a prophecy in the past, and knows how far Harry will go, could his actions here reflect a true fear for his life?
theYellowDello chapter 90 . 7/3/2013
I didn't much like Hermione anyway.
John chapter 90 . 7/3/2013
Alas. I very much wanted Hermione to be by Harry's side when he took over the galaxy.
Guest chapter 90 . 7/3/2013
I haven't seen anyone else tell you this but, during the last PotterCast at LeakyCon, Your story was mentioned. I'm really on ch 10 and I want to say that I really like this story :)
annon chapter 90 . 7/3/2013
Fuck this is good :)
becuzitswrong chapter 90 . 7/3/2013
So Quirrelmort, at least, understands what has been unleashed upon the world, The Others will learn in time. Some to their sorrow, some to their wonder, some to their horror.
aaronlowe chapter 90 . 7/3/2013
And now I think Quirrel is appearing to fullfil his role as protector and guider while using Harry to help guide him to his real goal. He's out of ideas - but he knows Harry is not. All it takes is to get Harry to figure out what he cannot and hay presto - he's overcome an impassible obstacle.
skywiseskychan chapter 90 . 7/3/2013
I look forward to seeing the universe torn down. I'm also disapionted with Mr. Potter in not forcing/making/enquireing or otherwise requesting that Hermionies body be healed of the scars of her 'death' before at least attempting resucitation or transfer to a muggle emergency room.
RBWalker chapter 90 . 7/3/2013
I can't help but feel that this is Harry's punishment. He had the choice to put his money where his mouth is and "be a superhero." The phoenix came to him... and he chose not to save everyone. He refused the call. If he had accepted it then either (a) he'd be dead and Hermione wouldn;t have been a target or (b) he'd have had a phoenix with him to heal her before she died. Although he didn't realise it, he'd already decided not to save everyone, which means that he's got to take losses. Permanent losses.

Or maybe I'm reading too much in to it. But my guess is that Hermione isn't coming back...

Although, a potential stable time loop would be for Harry to go back in time, polyjuice himself into Hermione, then stun her and stuff her in a cupboard somewhere and take her place. This would fulfil the criteria for student death as sensed by the wards/dumbledore. Then Hermione could take over the story in a bold change of direction that would resurrect the feminist themes brought out in Self Actualisation. I mean, no way is this going to happen, but I thought I'd throw it out there.

Keep up the good work.
bkerrmom1 chapter 90 . 7/3/2013
This was a deep and disturbing chapter... well done!
Yvonne Oriel Petit chapter 90 . 7/3/2013
This story suffers from some serious mood whiplash, and not of the good kind. I don't know if this is still so, since you've apparently been editing the early chapters, but for a long while this story gives a far lighter impression than the path it later takes and firmly walks on now.

So now I'll just say, why couldn't this stay fun?
MizukiYumeko chapter 90 . 7/3/2013
Should be interesting. Looking forward to it.
And why "hypothermia"? Not "cryogenics"?
toraffles chapter 90 . 7/3/2013
You... killed Herimione.
You KILLED her.
She's dead.
WHAT IS THIS.
Guest chapter 90 . 7/3/2013
Hermione had better come back to life. She is an interesting character.
Bill chapter 90 . 7/3/2013
I'm a little surprised Harry didn't try having Heh use Fawkes to teleport Hermione to a well equipped muggle hospital. Between transfusions, surgery, cpr, and such, they still stand a chance of bringing her back.

As for Quirrelmort, I don't think his goal is to prevent Harry from bringing back Hermione; not exactly. To be honest, I don't think Harry has the power yet, anyway. By restricting Harry's access to new information, asking the other teachers to try and convince him from his goals, and by giving him a couple of bits and pieces of info himself, he's going to greatly increase Harry's dependence on him. Very devious.
xan avalon chapter 90 . 7/3/2013
He's going to save her with Science? Harry has a good start with the hypothermia treatment. Now get your rear in gear by getting her to the nearest Muggle hospital with expertise in traumatic amputation. Royal London would be a plausible site. The assistance of Molly Weasley for the magical aspects-transportation, minor memory modifications on the question of "What happened to the limb tissue?" "Eaten by a mountain troll" "Oh get on with you...what really happened?" and such-would seem most reasonable. If of course she can overcome her disdain for Muggle medicine. In any event get a bloody move on since even hypothermia is not going to help matters for much more than an hour. After that you're stuck with nothing but magic, which so far doesn't seem to offer a whole lot in the way of hope.
Stillwind11 chapter 90 . 7/3/2013
You.. you.. you killed her!
Nooooooooooooooooooooooo! :(

Darn it, I really liked this portrayal of Hermione, and you had to go and pull a 'Ned Stark' and kill off a main character. :P

Man, I am really hoping that since you took away one of his closest friends, at least he might somehow keep in contact with Draco. Or at least that her death wakes up some of the other students and maybe turns into a revolution.

Still... Nooooooooooooo! Curse you, you fantastic author and your plot twists! :D

At first I was thinking, "Ok, she might lose her legs but that's ok, she is smart, she wont need em. Harry was prepared with the med kit and his preparation is paying off. Looks like that ended up being foreshadowing afterall. Later he will point out to Minerva that yes, the med kit was entirely justified and now doesn't she feel silly for her earlier protests."

Then you have her DIE! Like properly dead dying, but with odd stuff happening too. And now I just have to hope he can bring her back, cus I was rather attached to her.

I cant decide now if you are not planning on this story being a tragedy in the end, or a more happy or at least bittersweet triumphant ending.

Post faster! I really want to know what happens next! :D
Arafell chapter 90 . 7/2/2013
I'm curious to see whether he can actually pull it off.
Final-Fan chapter 90 . 7/2/2013
I suppose Quirrell now thinks Harry is going to make the world go boom with his science, inadvertently of course.

Also, it occurs to me (since before I read this chapter, and no less so afterward) to wonder who was less wrong (heh) about the nature of ghosts, mentioned early in this story.
Anonymous chapter 90 . 7/2/2013
I don't usually cry when reading fiction, and it's usually not the character dying that makes me cry, but the effect on the other characters. I have yet to cry for Hermione. Maybe it's because Harry himself hasn't cried, maybe because we're both clinging to the hope that somehow she'll be saved, and if she's not, and Harry realizes that, I will probably cry my eyes out. But for now I'm trying to figure out how she can be saved. This IS a rationalist fic, there IS an answer, but I'm too stupid to figure it out. At the same time, though, that's what I like about this fic so much. I've never been a genius, but I'm quite a bit smarter than average, and even as a child I noticed no one I knew matched me in intelligence (not that I ever said it). When I started reading this fic I felt stupid for the first time ever, and it's amazing because I had never been able to learn so much. Nothing has changed my mind quite as much as this fic, and it's an awesome feeling.

Thank you for such an amazing fic and chapter. Now, to reread the whole thing because it's clear I won't be able to sleep until you post the next chapter.
Niqi chapter 90 . 7/2/2013
YOU PUT THAT ONE LINE AT THE START OF CHAPTER TWO. YOU WERE PLANNING FOR HERMIONE TO DIE SINCE CHAPTER TWO. WHICH MEANS ODDS ARE YOU /KNEW FROM THE VERY START/.
Though it makes sense, given what I know of you, that you would center the main plot around defeating death. (Is it the main plot? It's a significant plot, in any case.)
ANGUISH. HARRY IS GIVING QUIRRELLMORT VALUABLE INFORMATION ABOUT HIS PLANS, AND QUIRRELLMORT'S GONNA DO EVERYTHING HE CAN TO STOP HARRY FROM GETTING HERMIONE BACK.
I guess the whole "he is the end of the world" thing might've spooked him a bit.
I know a powerful villain makes a strong story but jesus damn, how the everloving shitsticks is Harry going to best Quirrellmort? I'm feeling really anxious for him. If I learned that I had to face Quirrellmort, I would run away screaming without a second thought.
I'm still upset about how Hermione died. She told me to tell you, "But you didn't have to cut me off!"
treena-ivy-carter chapter 90 . 7/2/2013
I sort of hope that Harry gets Lesath to give him some way to contact Draco - I want to see Draco's reaction to this.

I want the head of whoever had Hermione killed.

I want the head of whoever obliviated the Weasley Twins of the Map.

I want the head of Dumbledore and McGonagell and the jerk who said that Hermione deserved to die.

I want their heads on pikes revolving around the remains of Earth once Harry hopefully burns it to a cinder for killing her.

It is really difficult to type while crying, did you know that?

Keep up the good work.

Tree
Poetryfreak173 chapter 90 . 7/2/2013
Oh who the hell is the Good Guy in this fic?!

(Compliments. Not many things make brain mush fall out of my ears.)
Matt chapter 90 . 7/2/2013
...wow. I stumbled upon this fic some time ago and wanted to thank you for your incredible work, both here and at Less Wrong/Overcoming Bias.

I especially appreciate how much power you've given HJPEV without making him a Mary Sue, I suppose by giving his allies and enemies the same powers? Except then you've somehow managed to whip up an interesting and more-or-less-stable dynamic between rationalist characters who would like nothing more than to hurl your plot out the window and crush their opponents into oblivion on the first page, while keeping resorting to story logic to a minimum.

And then you sometimes just hurl in a sheer monkey wrench Game-of-Thrones-style (I apologize, you're not at all derivative (except for the "fanfic" part), but the comparison's inevitable). I mean, seriously? He goes to all that trouble, loses all his money just to barely save Hermione, and then she gets her legs bit off and bleeds out anyway? That's vicious, man; that might have even beaten the Red Wedding in terms of shell-shock. I mean, it's not like I liked Rob Stark much. But Hermione...GAH!

Anyway, I really hope you don't give the story a cryonics moral (still not sure what my feelings are on that subject), but despite the well-placed Frigideiro I don't think that's where you're headed, partly in light of Quirrell actually seeming scared of what Harry might do, and partly because that would suck, which wouldn't make sense since your plots have been one Crowning Moment of Awesome after another. I'm curious how much "Harry Potter and the Natural 20" influenced Harry thinking of a "Become God" spell, and what you have in mind for the nature of the universe he's in (and what he's going to end up doing with it).

Mad props for meeting your deadline, and keep up the fantastic work!
nobodez chapter 90 . 7/2/2013
This is one of many transformative events for the eleven year old Harry Potter-Evans-Verres (I hope I got the name right), and will likely colour his life forevermore. If there was ever a reason for him to "defeat death", and allow functional immortality, this would be that catalyst.

I look forward to the next entry.
Z.V chapter 90 . 7/2/2013
And it didn't occur to him within five hours to go to McGonagall to unlock the time turned and go back. He then could have transfigured a house elf (he would do it, even if Hermione or anyone else wouldn't) into Hermione, and used it as a dummy. Then he could have switched them.
Madsamurai chapter 90 . 7/2/2013
Can't harry take Hermione to a hospital and give her a blood transfusion? As far as was told us, that was the cause of death. It should be easy enough to restart the heart after that. Then a simple regeneration spell fixes the legs and a memory charm fixes the doctors. I even imagine that Quirrell should be able to help with that.
Guest chapter 90 . 7/2/2013
"Would you risk everything - everything - only for her?"
"Yes," Harry said back in reply. Ch.81

So what happens next? The author is inventive, but only three options I see:
a) Harry cannot not bring her back. Hermione stays dead. Very sad. Heart ripped out of the story.

ii) Harry brings her back to life, but is it really Hermione? It's like a copy that you brought back from your archive drive after deleting the original. Hermione v2.0. Looks like her, sounds like her, but its not really her. It's a duplicate, and that diminishes the value of the original. You can kill her as often as you like because you have backup copies.

#) Harry breaks down the laws of world, magical or otherwise, and brings Hermione Granger back to life. Soul and everything. Then the question becomes, will she be happy with what he did to reach his goal?
braindoll chapter 90 . 7/2/2013
So now Harry has a working time turner. What can he do with it?

-Watch Hermione die again and use some spell to catch her soul: unlikely. It would probably be beyond his power level, it does not seem consistent with the death description, and anyway he thinks in terms of brains more than souls.

-Make it so that a doppelganger dies instead of Hermione: also unlikely. Even if he could get polyjuice, Hermione would have to cooperate (by saying "aaaa") and there's no way she would do so with someone dying in her place. There are of course ways around these constraints, but that would make the scheme too complicated (especially given "DO NOT MESS WITH TIME").

-Figure out how the troll was introduced: also unlikely. Following backwards in time is not easy, even with a time-turner; especially if the opponent took basic countermeasures, as can be assumed.

-Catch the prophecy: very possible. He has the cloak, the fiendfyre left a clear trail with an endpoint, and he'd just have to sit and watch. This wouldn't help him save Hermione but it would give him useful info (both the prophecy itself and Quirrel's reaction. One wild-card would be the mental connection, but that could easily be handwaved away by the strength of emotions of Harry1 and/or the cloak's powers and/or Harry's occlumens nature.

Something involving Brienne: possible, but unlikely. I don't see any hidden meaning there.

other: very likely. He would not just let that resource go unused.

Still, just having the turner gives him info about the level of sophistication of his opponent. As he said, the turner calculation is NP-hard. If there were an easy way to save Hermione (just go tell Dumbledore to send a phoenix just in time!) then the observed time-loop would never have been stable enough to survive in the first place. So the opponent must have the ability to ruthlessly kill anyone from another time-stream who tries to save her.
Freyr chapter 90 . 7/2/2013
Oookeey... I did not Expect that... at all... But I am looking forward to seeing how it goes on.
GhostOfHarrenhal chapter 90 . 7/2/2013
Thanks, George R.R. Martin.
SamusOlderBrother chapter 90 . 7/2/2013
A prophecy that Quirrell fears... There must be a point where he decides to simply kill Harry instead of risk the destruction of the universe. Even the plate on Voyager would be susceptible to "the destruction of the stars."
Peshomaro chapter 90 . 7/2/2013
To be honest I am not quite sure how to react to the fact that the chapters up to 96 are all written and done, and yet not uploaded all at once. Although it could be in order to avoid the 'cramming' effect, I still can't get over the feeling of being a fish, baited with crumbs of bread. And the embarrassment, followed by the revelation of the fact that I am continuing to nibble happily on the crumb and expecting that the next one will come shortly. Especially since Mr. Less Wrong has gone out of his way as to specify that the content of the chapters has not been (and presumably will not be) a subject of change due to disagreeing experts on storytelling.

Lastly, in order to justify me leaving this text in the 'Review' section despite it being whiny remark, I will add that the last chapter was very enjoyable and that no scene in which those two nutcases are alone in a room together can be 'too long'. (within the bounds of good taste of course)
pegp chapter 90 . 7/2/2013
please bring back hermione please am crying
Knut25282 chapter 90 . 7/2/2013
What?! Hermione is DEAD?! Nooooo!
Just a fan chapter 90 . 7/2/2013
Mr. Yudkowsky,
Thank you for this incredible attempt to show humanity what our individually percieved worlds really are. Never before have I been so affected or influenced by the work of another human. I sincerely hope that yours is the first of many works that celebrate the world as it is rather than worship the mysteries we have yet to understand.
mockingbuddha chapter 90 . 7/2/2013
This is TheHypnotoad and everybody else also.

First, Hello to everybody, I just registered here. When I started this book, it was complete through chapter 85, so I am definitely a newbie, I never read any of these reviews before the Hermione death, because I am desperate for someone to talk to about this and nobody I try to make read this will read it. (I swear, nobody reads anymore).

Anyway, I didn't really have anything to contribute until I read your post The Hypnotoad, I am not sure if this will get Harry out of Malfoy's debt, but it is possible. When you typed that though it reminded me that before all the stuff about puberty came up, they had just decided to let Hermione solve the debt problem. What if all of this is a plot of Hermione's? I don't believe that after all the battles and bully fighting that MOR's Hermione could just be stuck in a fridge like that. I personally would love it if this was the case, but I am so dejected right now that I just can't believe it.

Also, to me THIS IS the real Harry Potter now, and that was the REAL Hermione that just died. I feel broken. And I'm freakin' 40!
EchoesInTheEther chapter 90 . 7/2/2013
Ok, so I completely bindge read the entire fanfic over the last 5 days after discovering it and I have to say I am highly impressed. I love that there is increased depth placed on new characters from the old stories and that the individual "schools" of magic are interpreted and examined in depth.
I have read some reviews that disagree with the lack of time turner use in the last couple chapters (88-90). But there has been so many instances of paradox avoidance by Dumbledore throughout that you have to undersand that certainly you could go back and attempt to change something. But you would cause some level of damage to the fabric of time... Also without this challenge there would be nothing to truly challenge the boy who lived. His nemesis, The Defense Professor, challenges his character but the attempt to solve this ultimate question will push his mind and his magic to the heights they must climb. "Death is the last enemy to be defeated"
Rancorium chapter 90 . 7/2/2013
I love your story. You are amazingly talented and skilled. I eagerly await the next update. Thank you very much for continuing to entertain and engage me through your writing.
L.E chapter 90 . 7/2/2013
Okay, I like (I mean love) where this is going. The stuff he said to McGonagalll, about possibly blaming her, was heartbreaking. Well done, sir.
Treenearthewater chapter 90 . 7/2/2013
"Magics that some would consider to be unnatural" Thank you, Professor Palpatine.
123 chapter 90 . 7/2/2013
отлично. жду продолжения
Separ chapter 90 . 7/2/2013
Ah, a pity, the time-turner decoy would have been a classic. Not sure why it wouldn't work.
Great chapter again!
Paulajie chapter 90 . 7/2/2013
This is my first review of this story as I only found out about it fairly recently however I've been waiting with no small amount of anticipation for it to resume and am definitely not disappointed :)
Your writing style is excellent and the plot is well paced with interesting and original character development.
I couldn't believe I read the latest 3 chapters so quickly and can't wait for the next update. Tomorrow seems an age away.
I'm sure I'm not alone among your reviewers to ask this but are we likely to discover more of Quirrel's intentions towards Harry in relation to those of his canon equivalent any time soon? Curiosity about his relationship or apparent lack of with Voldemort is driving me to distraction. Thankfully it's university holidays so my distraction can continue with minimal consequences :P
Thank you for writing this, it's a very enjoyable and enthralling read.

Regards
Paula
Violet Shadows chapter 90 . 7/2/2013
Hmmm, definitely need to see how Harry interacts with Sunshine and the Choas Legion after this; his faith in others has been sorely tested.
DocCBM chapter 90 . 7/2/2013
Very interesting. I found myself remembering those usually foolish, but with glimmers of brilliance, 'What If?' comics I read in the 80s. One in particular was Reed Richards (scientist head of fantastic four) who went insane when his wife was killed. He basically destroyed the world if not whole universe to get her back or get revenge. Can certainly see Harry doing this, though somewhat disappointed he would be stupid enough to tell a certain defense teacher. He has to know he will interfere more than he will help...

LIke others, I will find this story has lost its heart if she stays dead...or its brain if she comes back in a rather stupid way...
ultra dragon chapter 90 . 7/2/2013
I don't know why, but I get the feeling Harry might be listing outside the storage room under his clock. His time turner is now free and noting is stopping him from getting valuable information, like Quirrell is apparently is going to work against his wishes, although he probably already suspects something.

I have no idea where you are heading with this story, I honestly don't. The only thing I hope is that you will finish this arc and won't leave us in suspense for months.
And hopefully bring Hermione back (and Draco) because this story needs them. To me at least seeing the Harry's thoughts and theirs bounce of each other is one of my favorite parts of this story.
Arkh Cthuul chapter 90 . 7/2/2013
Hmmm, I think I understand why writing these chapters took you so long.
Intense, dark, important. Exceedingly well-written.

And, especially with Quirrels Actions at the end, quite ... confusing. Why would Quirrel tell mcGonnagal, why would he not want Harry to follow that path (or why would he want MacGonnagall to believe this and how will he help harry instead if its a double bluff)?

Questions, questions...
Miss Mercury101 chapter 90 . 7/2/2013
Okay, fantastic few chapters as always, but oh my god, poor Hermione! What a way to go! And poor Harry as well. I really hope someone can get him out of that thinking, otherwise the later war (if there will be a war?) will not be good for him. Great writing as well.
Higashiyama Sayuri's Devout chapter 90 . 7/2/2013
The universe within this particular work of Fanfiction, without a certain character is devoid of value.

And if turns out to be an irreparable truth, I'm going to feel like i lost my time.

I'm beyond piss right now.
Lord Patience chapter 90 . 7/2/2013
It's funny that you used the a analogy of Gravity and Responsibility, because the same analogy was used in r/science two days ago.
beege chapter 90 . 7/2/2013
Does Quirrell only give McGonagall this advice because he knows her stumbling efforts will have the opposite effort from what ever she intends?

Incidentally, I agree with a lot of what Harry said to her here. With the benefit of hindsight the head of Gryffindor house taught in a way as to encourage moral cowardice.
esran chapter 90 . 7/2/2013
wait, potion creation has a definitve and intuitive formula, but spell creation doesnt?
alextfish chapter 90 . 7/2/2013
Hee. Well, there we have the confirmation that what Quirrell had been "hoping" Harry's resolution was is not at all what it actually was. I wonder what spells in the Restricted Section Q doesn't want Harry seeing? Or whether that's just a lie to Minerva so that he can get up there and plant some books that'll send Harry down the path Q wants him to go down? And although we know better than to trust anything Q says, I wonder whether his comment about the troll being a distraction was in fact accurate, and if so, what it was a distraction from?

I also wonder what plot consequence the holes in the castle will have. And, for that matter, what Q was hoping to achieve if he reached the troll and Harry in time, because it seems likely that it was him that set the troll on Hermione after all.

And it's interesting that Q says, I believe truthfully, that "if it were that simple" (to get the power of Atlantis, or to raise the dead using it?) "I would have done it many years earlier".
Reader-anonymous-writer chapter 90 . 7/2/2013
"Nothing I could have DONE? I've lost track of how many different ways I could've saved her! If I'd asked to have us all given communications mirrors! If I'd insisted on Hermione being taken out of Hogwarts and put in a school that isn't insane! If I'd sneaked out immediately instead of trying to argue with normal people! If I'd remembered the Patronus earlier! If I'd thought through possible emergencies and trained myself to think about Patronuses earlier! Even at the very last minute it might not have been too late! I killed the troll and turned to her and she was still ALIVE and I just knelt next to her listening to her last words like an IDIOT instead of casting the Patronus again and calling Dumbledore to send Fawkes! Or if I'd just approached the whole problem from a different angle - if I'd looked for a student with a Time-Turner to send a message back in time before I found out about anything happening to her, instead of ending up with an outcome that can't be altered"
Agree. But you hadn't known. You couldn't have known. You weren't paranoid enough to suspect Death grasping your friends at every turn of time.
"Of course it's my fault. There's no one else here who could be responsible for anything." "No! You-Know-Who killed Hermione!"
I do not know whether Voldemort was involved with this. I do know that somebody created this test for Harry, knowing that Hermione will likely die. I do know that getting revenge on him would neither resurrect Hermione nor save other Harry's friends - there are other dangers, besides this 'villain', and this person is unlikely to repeat such a test (i.e. putting Harry's friend into danger and seeing whether Harry manages to save him-her).
Harry is at fault for Hermione's death only as much as a surgeon operating a patient is at fault for patient's death. Each surgeon has his own first patient who dies after the surgeon's operation; the surgeon finds then many ways he could have prevented this death; similarly to Harry, surgeon's intention is to protect from danger, not to put patient in harm's way; and yet, Harry-or-surgeon is at fault for not being good enough to save the patient.
He should not feel terrible guilt; he could not have known the danger ahead of time. But he should improve himself, and leave margin for error, to know that others are unreliable enough to hinder him in critical situations - like students in Great Hall - and yet indispensable, since alone he would be able to achieve much less than leading a large group.
Once you look at it from that perspective, you realise that allocating blame never helps anything unless you blame yourself, because you're the only one whose actions you can change by putting blame there.
Just, don't allow guilt for the past burden you to the extent of getting nothing done. Be strong enough to continue fault analysis to both improve yourself and plan ahead for unpredictable events. You cannot become infallible; therefore, your plans have to include additional parts to support you in case something fails.
By the way, you can place part of blame onto others - if you are willing to change them, and not only yourself. Part of living in society is changing other people within society, be it leading, sharing, helping, or anything else. For example, I am curious about Draco's reaction to Hermione's death: Draco was changed by Harry's influence, Draco was not strong enough to help her, but surely, Draco is shocked enough by her death to somehow help Harry?..
Albus flickered his fingers at the door behind her. "I was afraid Mr. Potter might do you some harm."
Always thinking the worst of genius... Don't you think that this mistrust could be the reason many people dislike you? One of reasons, at least.
"I thought Mr. Potter's remarks were entirely unfair and undeserved," Albus said.
Albus... You are Light, you are blind, you are solid, you are inflexible, I repeat, you are blind.
A sharp sense of catastrophe had risen in the air between the two of them, and hung there unchanging.
Will they now part ways? Will they become enemies? Or has Professor nothing else left to teach to student? Is Harry's decision not to Quirrell's liking?
"You see, I deduced at once that the troll was but a distraction from some other matter, and of no great importance in itself."
Then why were you so interested in Harry's battle against the troll, and his resolution?
"I do regret that the girl is dead. She was a good student in my Defense class, and could have been an ally to you later."
So, Professor could have easily been the one organising the test.
"You did want to save her. You wanted it so strongly that you made some sort of actual effort. I suppose your mind, if not theirs, would be capable of that."
Thank you.
"Someone who is knowledgeable of much secret lore, and magics that some might consider to be unnatural?" There was a slight narrowing of the boy's eyes, so imperceptible that someone else might not have -
Quirrell and Voldemort are quite close to each other. I still don't know whether they are one and the same, or two separate persons.
"Pity," the boy said. "It would've been nice to see the look on the enemy's face the next time they tried using a troll."
First, this person will not necessarily be your enemy in the future. Second, they will not likely use a troll. Third, this cursed fire is likely useful for many other purposes, besides defeating a troll.
So whose side is Professor Quirrell on? I do not expect that Quirrell's grim face shown to Minerva is less of a mask than emotionless face shown to Harry; but which of them is closer to truth, who is more trusted by Quirrell, Harry or Minerva?
Why should Harry be kept out of the Restricted Section? Does Quirrell intend for Harry to consider Professor as his only source of information? Is Quirrell afraid of Harry noticing the link between them? Does Quirrell intend to help Harry in his search or hinder him?
"You will confirm to Flitwick and Vector that the boy is to be diverted by the usual evasions if he asks precocious questions about spell creation. And though it is not my own area of expertise, Deputy Headmistress, if there is any way you can imagine to convince the boy to stop sinking further into his grief and madness - any way at all to undo the resolutions he is coming to - then I suggest you resort to it immediately."
So Quirrell claims to be opposed to Harry's resolutions. All the same, I will not be surprised if these claims are only to mislead Minerva, or to get further control over Harry by being his only source of information.
I hope Harry will see through Flitwick-Vector smokescreen.
The only way to undo Harry's resolution is to convince him that attempting to save Hermione, when she is already dead, would put humanity at risk. Not Harry, not Hogwarts, not wizards, but whole humanity.
The only way to strengthen Harry's resolution to the point of being unbreakable is to convince Harry that Hermione is more important to Harry than any other person on Earth.
My advice: let Harry spend more time with his Patronus.
Good day, good night, and good luck, Draco, Harry, Severus, Quirrell.
Computer Mad Scientist chapter 90 . 7/2/2013
Goodness, has nobody realized that Harry will probably evacuate the world before he destroys it?
harrypotterspiri chapter 90 . 7/2/2013
You have us spellbound. The big question is what will Harry's sacrifice be to save Hermione. I'm drawing a blank. So happy the next chapter will soon be posted.
The Babel Fish chapter 90 . 7/2/2013
Why does Professor Quirrell list Neville Longbottom as a valid target? What does he know about Neville that Harry does not? Why doesn't Harry question Professor Quirrell when he mentions Neville? You wrote earlier: 'For it is a sad rule that whenever you are most in need of your art as a rationalist, that is when you are most likely to forget it.' This probably counts as an Event in Harry's life - if he's ever going to forget rationality, it would be now.

I also doubt that Harry goes through all his years at Hogwarts because this fic is 90 chapters long and Harry is still in his first year. (Unless you pull some time-travel thing, of course.)
w chapter 90 . 7/2/2013
Still impressive.
LightsPast chapter 90 . 7/2/2013
Oooh, interesting chapter! Quirrell is confusing . . . This story just keeps getting better! Is Draco going to be in the next chapter?
Acronymous chapter 90 . 7/2/2013
harry is falling

I love how you set this up
someone chapter 90 . 7/2/2013
Yes, how does one go about permanently loosing a drop of blood? One specific drop of blood (I) or one drop worth of blood carrying capability (II)? What if I gain weight? If I get fat or grow I should have more blood.. hm.

(II) The equilibrium state of your body will forever be with one drop blood less?
- You can reach equilibrium with very little blood. You will probably have reduced stamina because the transport capability is lower. Depending on your age you might get problems with low blood pressure. (Cure for high blood pressure for old people with artery calcification? :D But wizards probably won't have that..)

(I)/(II) Your body will never be in equilibrium again?
- Exhaustion because of energy spent to regain equilibrium and failing? Hm. Maybe magic will help here and put up a block to create an artificial equilibrium.. hard to imagine. Also lower blood pressure, but in everyone. Reduced transport capability.

(I) Or that drop just goes away and the body can just replace it? (Like blood donation blood loss..)
- Drink some water, you'll be fine. Don't overdo it. Not a problem, Quirrel probably wouldn't have mentioned it. Even though it's permanent since that specific drop of blood won't come back to you.

From what Quirrel says, I'm going with the first hypothesis.
Tiatiou chapter 90 . 7/2/2013
I love how you maintain the suspense throughout the story! I 'm eager to read the next chapter.
kruchy85 chapter 90 . 7/2/2013
Looks like even Quirrel is terrified of what Harry might do if he knew how to create spells.

Also Harry now has an unlocked time turner, I wonder if he will try to get back in time - even if he can't change the events that already happened, he might gain something from observing them, coming up with some immediate action while Hermione's body is still in hypothermia.
Ptronille chapter 90 . 7/2/2013
Hello again.
Well, I'm glad I waited a while before reading the previous two chapters, so I could read this one right after. It does not make the truth any less awful, but that the story moves on (even though Harry refuses to, and I get it) allows me not to end up in a bad, bad place because of MOR. It's really grim, though... I wonder, will we ever have the same laughs we had at the beginning? I suppose not, unless someone takes it upon themselves to correct the situation ('Raise Dead') and Memory-Charm Harry. A lot, and deeply.
I wonder about Harry's (and Hermione's) parents' reaction...
I'm very glad I'll be able to read your chapter tomorrow (or the day after, I think I'm in advance time-wise). Thanks again, and keep writing ;)
Moonlit Phantasy chapter 90 . 7/2/2013
Come to think of it... can we as readers even be sure who the prophecy refers to? It's heavily referred to be Harry, but...

Anyway, awesome chapter.
YlvaThorgalsdottir chapter 90 . 7/2/2013
I never thought you'd change anything based on our speculations; I just figured you are really good at foreshadowing.

At any rate, if it is not a "soul" that her body now lacks… whatever seemed to explode at the moment of her death… then maybe he can find a universal donor. There's got to be something he can do.
Surianas chapter 90 . 7/2/2013
The way I see it, Harry has already created a functional temporal waypoint back in chapter 74:

"I... see," said Harry, as he trod through the halls of Hogwarts after Professor Quirrell, following him toward the Defense Professor's office. "So my chant, the way I wrote it, implies that the Outer God, Yog-Sothoth -"

"Was permanently sacrificed in a ritual which but briefly manifested your presence," said Professor Quirrell. "I suppose we will discover tomorrow whether anyone took that seriously, when we read the newspapers and see whether all the magical nations of the world are banding together in a desperate effort to seal off your incursion into our reality."
IveGotNoIdea chapter 90 . 7/2/2013
Screwing with time One oh One:
Grab a time turner (steal one if you have to).
Go back in time (that's kind of obvious)
Grab Hermione before she encounters the troll
Transfigure something to look like Hermione and tell it to say that line the young Harry has heard. Have a way to fake Hermione's death so the wards will be notified. Have a way to fake her location so wards will think she is on that tower.
Send the fake Hermione after the troll
The weird laws of time will do (have already done) the rest.
Wait for the young self to go back in time.
Congratulations, you have just cheated the time.
unwrittenaria chapter 90 . 7/2/2013
Review is for the last 3 chapters 88 - 90.

It makes sense in hindsight (as all things must) that Quirrell wouldn't exactly stop at having this happen, he had given her an out as it were, and so now things are played for keeps. What he perhaps doesn't realize is that in doing so he's forced Harry to play for keeps (and lo and behold a prophecy).

He keeps stumbling over the love thing which is accurate to canon but interpreted quite differently in terms of how the defense professor stumbles in your series.

As perhaps the ultimate pragmatist, I thought it might have been possible that quirrell would build up harry as the next leader of the wizarding world and simply be his emperor palpatine, or replace harry with himself if need be once Harry was established enough.

Now though given everything he knows I'm confused why he wouldn't try to get rid of harry outright. He may have had plans that involved potter but at this point it might make more sense to cut your losses than risk the destruction of everything else. Especially true given how the last prophecy worked out for him. Perhaps armed with that knowledge, it's more a question of whether he's already acted to fulfill this new prophecy or still has work to do that could lead to it coming to fruition.

Harry has grown up quite a bit over the last few chapters, and while it's a fairly believable arc for him, it's perhaps a little impossible to believe that he didn't break down by now. There is after all a limit to how much even rational people can handle before they crack. (maybe that's what harry's doing right now)

Still enjoying it immensely. The stuff with hermione was powerful, brutal, and unfair. Like a few others I have some issues with the dismissal of both draco and hermione at the altar of Harry's character development/plot development, but it's not out of line with the way the rest of the story is written so I applaud the choice. It certainly brings to mind that there is still 2 more deathly hallows, and a bunch of horcruxes to deal with and at least one gate which should get a looksie at some point now.

Wednesday can't come soon enough.

i would like to see some kind of fallout in terms of how the grangers recieve the news. I can't imagine Harry going back to the armies with his new priorities in play, but if he does "the only rule is there is no rule" is going to be sorely tested if Harry decides everyone needs to get more "practical" about winning. next chapter hopefully we'll get some reactions from some of the other hogwarts cast, and their reaction to the new and improved harry potter.
Zicou chapter 90 . 7/2/2013
another awesome chapter !
continuuuuuuuue,
z.
TheHypnotoad chapter 90 . 7/2/2013
The simplest solution however would be to give Hermoine the regenerative abilities of the troll at least temporarily. The troll was able to regenerate from his head 'splodin.

With Harry's slow thinking throughout the entire affair it would seem that his head was messed with as well as the Weasley twins. A weak Confundus would explain everyone's problems. I say this because Harry isn't Harry even afterwards. It takes him a bit too long to come up with lowering body temperature. He's certainly read enough SF to no longer limit himself to what is currently medically possible. His mind would be looking for hypothetical means he could realize with magic. Certainly preserving Hermione should pose no problem. There's probably a dozen magical ways he could keep her body timeless. The body kept levitated and frictionless, An endless hallway kept in a vacuum with a portkey at one and that transported you back to the beginning with a small kick to accelerate the body each pass. Her body could be brought close to lightspeed buying a lifetime of time to solve the problem.

There are just too many options open to him for him to be stymied.

Considering Harry's patronus and his attitude regarding death as something to be eventually defeated, I don't expect Hermione's death to be permanent or ever accepted by Harry as permanent.

This is still a great read. Thanks.

I assume Harry is now out of debt to the Malfoy's. The intent would appear to be the removal of Hermione as she was capable of influencing Harry on many levels even without meaning to and was a threat to controlling Harry.
jdboss1 chapter 90 . 7/2/2013
"The idea that Hermione might not be brought back is impossible to comprehend."
"She's like my favorite character and the thought of her being eaten to death makes me cry."

Elizier and stop playing with us the last two chapters have really made me disturbed a never get like this and reading stories
but you have such a gift and bringing characters to life so when you kill one of the main one it painful to listen read

Why in heck didn't you have Harry revive her this chapter Phoenix tears on the body then restart the heart and hopefully no brain damage

Is this a big FUCK you to all Harry/Hermione fan

Have her wounded Harry all upset-nearly die but Bailey's survive in this chapter could have gone the same way
there was still absolute need to kill her none at all
even if you left in a coma for several months while harry got stronger in the meanwhile

Before the last two chapters I really liked the defendant teacher but now all I want to do is boiled him alive and probably you the authors were doing this
to your beloved fans

Please do not write a horror story estimated to be problem and danger but the main two or three characters always need to just pull through
Harry and Hermione are the main two every other person is expendable

NICE put down of McGonagall

destroy the world if you cant get Hermione back
Serpent91 chapter 90 . 7/2/2013
Well written! It's so complicated!
Darth Parallax chapter 90 . 7/2/2013
How many of you have actually read the first 89 chapters recently? Please go back to before The Stanford Prison Experiment and try again.

1. All of the characters' actions so far have been painfully consistent, except that I would have allowed McGonagall to be smarter in this world, or to become smarter. In canon! Order of the Pheonix and onward, she was actually competent herself, in fact especially in OoTP she was the !Rationalist answer to Umbridge, sometimes. This McGonagall seems set in this role because Yudkowsky took her words in Book 1 about the Remembrall and created McGonagall's character mostly around that. While we ARE still in Harry's First Year, Minverva McGonagall was already old by then...her character I think is supposed to represent the reader more, the target audience. But the real Minverva McGonagall is smarter than the type of NPC Adult that needs to learn these lessons. Still, we needed an NPC Adult at Hogwarts to make this story work at all. McGonagall was I'm afraid obviously the only choice for the Author's purpose, though Harry does her injustice.

2. Quirrlemort is unfortunately both so evil and so right about people that most of you just aren't going to be able to understand what's going on with Hermione and what's going on with Quirrell. Yes, I will first say that Harry Potter has made it explicitly clear that he is much smarter than Anakin Skywalker. However, the Quirlepatine *knows* *thinks*, and, like Lord Malfoy admiring Draco a number of chapters ago battling the Sunshine Regiment, has decided this is even better for his Darth Harry Potter plans. The plots and tricks will have to be more devious, more cunning, because the subject *knows* their enemy and his plot- that is, Harry *knows* or guesses that Quirrell might be trying to tempt him into becoming Darth Vader. And yet some things still have to be done to achieve that, which will of course be suspicious.

3. Forget talking about returning Hermione Granger to the land of the living- let's focus on one particular plan to Keep Her Alive: Does anyone else besides me agree with Dumbledore that she would have been no safer at Beauxbatons? Oh, I think some of Harry's *other* ideas would work to Save Her Life or Keep Her Safer...but Quirrell tried very insistently to get her to go to Beauxbatons...and either Harry Potter or Hermione Granger or both of them would not have had long to wait to be in trouble. Either that, or the plot against Potter would have been able to move so slowly that Potter would be caught in trouble without realizing it in time. Because Hermione Granger chose to stay at Hogwarts, the Defense Professor's hand was forced and he had to do something even though he knew there was a chance that the Troll would do something to make Harry Potter dangerous to everyone-including-the-Defense-Professor. The Light has a slightly better outcome when Hermione Granger doesn't go to Beauxbatons because Evil has no choice but to Look Suspicious, and Evil is best at succeeding when it can pretend it's innocent.

4. If you want to make a Darth Vader, you might as well groom him to be more dreadful and powerful than you, and take the Rule of Two as your consolation prize: that if Darth Vader-Potter succeeds to kill Quirrelpatine, then he is even worthier of the mantle of Sith than Skywalker ever was. Here are the characters that don't make mistakes:

Dumbledore
Potter
Snape
Quirrell

5. We can assume that they are all almost fully functional PC characters who take a large amount of Responsibility on themselves- their actions may result in costs to themselves or harm to others that are supposed to be their friends, but they aren't *stupid*, and are in fact, sneaking, scheming, Plotters. We can assume that anything we at first don't understand, is not them being *stupid*, but them accepting *collateral damage* in their Plots.

This isn't a perfect picture because WE aren't Dumbledore, so we have no idea what happened with Narcissa Malfoy, and WE aren't the Author, and we have no idea who "The Defense Professor" really is, and Both of those things are terribly important to assessing the Timeline as we see it. We'll just have to wait for the Author to divulge his secrets.

6. My best guess about Spell-Research is that it's almost as UN-guarded as Obliviation, but the teachers have realized it would not do for Harry to realize this. They are taking advantage of the few short months Harry has left where he'll still have the "Muggle-born Handicap/Raised by Muggles" feature that prevents him from knowing all the ordinary every day knowledge of the Wizarding World that everyone of Arthur Weasley's Level or higher knows. (Basic stuff that gets into books that HARRY at least would read if had them, if not every First Year in Hogwarts). In other words, most of the things he was learning from Draco, and now can't.

7. The Troll Attack is obviously directly provoked by Potter getting Granger off the Wizengamot's charges. In Universe, Potter and Dumbledore and all of them haven't quite yet figured this much out, but they sort of know they have a Deliberate Enemy.

Like an inversion of canon! Harry's OoTP trial being directly provoked by the original plot of the Dementors failing. Granger may not have been exactly targeted this time- but the Troll was there to PUNISH Potter for his insolence, and Hermione was the first one it found to carry out its murderous rage against. Kind of like how Dudley wasn't a target- he was just -there-.
Blazen chapter 90 . 7/2/2013
Maybe Harry is going to be Mr Hat-And-Cloak?
NA chapter 90 . 7/2/2013
I'm missing something, I know. Why hasn't anybody tried using a Time-Turner to avert this? Maybe the time-lock on Harry's prevents it, but doesn't Dumbledore have one of his own he could use arrive before the troll killed Hermione, and avert this?

Granted he hasn't, so he can't, because stable time loops. But WHY hasn't he?
apeljohn chapter 90 . 7/2/2013
"But wait!" I thought, "Hermione *can't* be dead! You see, in the start-of-chapter quotes, Yudkowsky likes to quote things that haven't happened yet. And Chapter 5 has a quote from Hermione at the top. QED!"

Then I looked back at Chapter 5.

What it used to say was: "He's only eleven years old, Hermione." "So are you." "I don't count."

What it *now* says is: "It would've required a supernatural intervention for him to have your morality given his environment." (This is a quote from somewhere around Ch40, iirc.)

This is strong Bayesian evidence that Hermione will stay dead until Harry is at least 12, otherwise the author would have been able to work the quote into the story later. I'd say it's weak evidence for permadeath, as another year of Harry being melancholyscary would get a bit dire.
Wandering Airhead chapter 90 . 7/2/2013
And thus Hermione Granger is dead. Well, I suppose it may still be possible, she be alive at the end of the arc, though I doubt that.
...
It's actually really said. I don't suppose mourning a fictional character is normal?
...
On the other note, the story truly seems to go into a 'mad scientist', or more precisly 'maddened scientist' route. And Voldie is taking step to stop the monster of his own creation... I'm vaguely curious how long will it take him to abandon his grand plans and actually try to kill Harry. I take him for a man to value universe more than even a most devious plot.
Onipo chapter 90 . 7/1/2013
Her body is an object like any other object. Reparo it, then a little mouth-to-mouth and a few heart-compressions. Should be good as new.
Aapo Alasuutari chapter 90 . 7/1/2013
Well, I cannot say anything else but... I well and truly hate you now, Elizier :D Nicely done, damnit! :D
atymer chapter 90 . 7/1/2013
One can only worry.
tenchifew chapter 90 . 7/1/2013
Amazing as always.
Thank you for writing.
Tom Hardy chapter 90 . 7/1/2013
woot! more updates
Kayla chapter 90 . 7/1/2013
There's no need to talk about the obvious outcome.
Harry Potter will turn his mind to steel,
and become a superhero.
brethebabbit chapter 90 . 7/1/2013
Love ! Just had to say that & since this is my favorite story I wanted to add a review
WildCard-Yes Man chapter 90 . 7/1/2013
MOAR!
BreeDante23 chapter 90 . 7/1/2013
Poor Harry. :( If anyone can bring Hermione back though, it'll be him. BTW: I love that we get the date and time of the next update. It helps to stop from going crazy with the wait. Thanks for that, :)
obscurica chapter 90 . 7/1/2013
...but isn't the solution ultimately simple? There are spells, introduced almost immediately in the canon, that'd totally reverse entropy for a discrete object. So long as we assume that Harry picks up enough neurology to apply that to her brain, the physical components of a resurrection spell is in place.

Sure, souls do exist in the HP world, and cartesian dualism seems to have a hand in these matters. But there IS interactivity between material and spirit, especially via magical manipulation. It would, in effect, be the reversal of a Horcrux spell - rather than splitting the soul and assigning its shards to another physical material, the ultimately product would instead apply the common housewife wizard's object restoration spell to a grander framework in order to draw a soul back to its host body.
Non-Existent ONion chapter 90 . 7/1/2013
Either your Author tracts are becoming more delusional or you're becoming better at imagining viewpoints you consider irrational. Either way I will continue to read and review.
Guest chapter 90 . 7/1/2013
I'm glad I wasn't the only one to spot the obvious Star Wars nod.

Look out, younglings!
Seclorum chapter 90 . 7/1/2013
So many chapters! So awesome!
DarkRavie chapter 90 . 7/1/2013
Great chapter. I can't wait to read what happens next.
Guest chapter 90 . 7/1/2013
What's this? A new plot device? Apparently creating new spells is so top secret that teachers have 'the usual evasions' in case any student ask about it. Will this be the miracle that restores Hermione, or is it just another misdirection on the part of the author?

Frankly, I see little rationality in the death of Hermione. Quirrelmort knew that Harry is very protective and would go to any lengths where she is concerned. He used that argument himself when trying to persuade her to leave Hogwarts & Harry behind. She wouldn't be intimidated, so he killed her believing he could remove her influence, but that looks like its going to backfire spectacularly. Can't even be sure of Quirrelmort's motives. Why would he race to protect Harry when we know that Dark Lords do not share power?

Speaking of rationale thought, why hasn't Harry made the obvious connection that Quirrelmort is lying to him? Maybe were finally seeing the barest hints of that in Harry's reactions, but if your best friend had been murdered in front you, would you trust any adults at the school?

Apparently, you are not posting any authors notes during this arc. There's probably not much you can say that would confirm, deny, or put your readers at ease. You're not going to change your direction at this point. Personally, I think it was an ugly death you gave Hermione. Unfair too. All her character development was thrown away for the simple sake of pushing Harry over the edge.
Devil Reader chapter 90 . 7/1/2013
This is just speculation on my part, but I'm going to proceed as if they were true.

Thank you for anticipating the reader response to Hermione's death and the fact that all of us would be desperately wanting to know the continuation of the story and not leaving us with a cliffhanger to torture us. Thank you for writing such a brilliant and enlightening story.
staringatstars07 chapter 90 . 7/1/2013
Alright, Professor Q, whose side are you on?
Tiky3000 chapter 90 . 7/1/2013
Harry made Quirrell at the very least nervous. Quite a feat.

I am actually wondering if you are going to bring her back at all or use the coming chapters as a lecture on the nature of death and the lack of second chances once a life has been lost.

Having Harry succeed in bringing back the dead would alter the balance of power immensely. The only option if you are going to bring her back without introducing God-like powers would be to prevent her death in the first place.

I am glad speculation won't influence the story. I wouldn't wish to influence you in any way.
Loonynamelass chapter 90 . 7/1/2013
Why no author's notes?

Also, thanks for the frequent updates.
CryptIXeeper chapter 90 . 7/1/2013
This chapter gave me a feel.

Hermione as Nora and Harry as , striving to do anything in his power to bring back his friend/wife.
skycomv2 chapter 90 . 7/1/2013
excellent aftermath chapter, or perhaps the beginning of a new arc. I think it is the most important that the defense professor and harry are coming into direct visible conflict.
BlackRosary chapter 90 . 7/1/2013
Oh man please please please let Harry succeed in bringing Hermione back. She's like my favorite character and the thought of her being eaten to death makes me cry.
LittleFaeChild chapter 90 . 7/1/2013
Amazing! :D

Ooooh. Quirrel is up to something...
Though, everybody knew that.

Love this story!
Rjalker chapter 90 . 7/1/2013
The idea that Hermione might not be brought back is impossible to comprehend.

Heh. This is a very dangerous game we play. Imagine that she really is gone forever, and we're all just left stranded with the hope that she really will come back...
Fresh C chapter 90 . 7/1/2013
I wonder at what point Quirrell realizes that Harry cannot be deterred from the path he is taking and realizes that the only way to stop him is to kill him. Though in truth I cannot see Harry becoming the kind of madman who would risk destroying reality for the sake of reverting the death of one person. If he was in his right mind, he would have to be reasonably sure that his actions would not result in the destruction of the fabric of reality (or at least would not destroy it in such a way that reviving Hermione would be pointless since they would have no life in which to live.)

And given the prophesy of the previous chapter, his determination won't waver on this, most likely. The thing I don't like about the prophesy is that is much less ambiguous than others. It says "He is the one who WILL tear apart the very stars in heaven." Not who could. I'm not sure if this means that this future cannot be changed, since you did state in previous chapters that prophesies were told to those who had the ability to cause or advert their outcomes. But it is unclear at this point whether that applies to prophesies with such little room for uncertainty.

That all being said, it feels like you tipped your hand a bit too much with the prophesies. Because now we know that Harry WILL "end the world" (as we know it, I'm presuming. Because again, he wouldn't conciously make a decision to destroy all of reality, or even risk destroying it to bring back Hermione because that would defeat the purpose. But I suppose he could always make a mistake). Or, Quirrell will stop him, since he is the only one who has been revealed to have heard the prophesy and therefore is the only one who could possible do anything about it. It's kind of anti-climactic to know more or less what is going to happen. When I see Harry on the verge of making some big decision that could shape reality, I will now know that 1) it's either going to work and fundamentally change the world as it is currently known, or 2) it will not work and will have been stopped by Quirrell's actions, either directly or indirectly.

You've pigeonholed yourself into those two outcomes. However, that's not to say that I think this story will be predictable. You rarely cease to surprise me, and of course, knowing the "whats" doesn't take away the thrill of learning the "hows" and "whys". But it does take a little edge off of the future resolution of the story.

... though the thought has just occurred to me, that if Harry somehow manages to change the foundation of reality, that could potentially also include changing the outcome of the prophesy itself. Which is a bit of twisty logic that I'm not in the mood to really get into right now.

Also, as a side note, the bit about the library at the end makes me wonder how long it's going to take for Harry to leave Hogwarts and find other sources of knowledge. I wonder if Quirrell is limiting his actions because of genuine fear of what Harry will do with the knowledge, or because he wants to make himself Harry's only point of contact for gaining access to forbidden knowledge so that he can control what he knows and perhaps in time lead Harry toward a goal more inline with his own. Or maybe both of these reasons apply.

In any case, I'm still enjoying this story, though I sort of wish more had happened in this chapter. It doesn't feel like a good stopping point. It might have helped to combine this one with whatever you have planned for the next one, or to have tacked this on as an epilogue to the last chapter.
Dur'id the Druid chapter 90 . 7/1/2013
Damm. The feces is starting to get serious. No more games, and why do i have the image of that puppet from "Saw" as i write that?
Nytefyre chapter 90 . 7/1/2013
Wow... quite the response from Harry.. So much to process... I eagerly await the next installment.

Thanks for posting.
Lahel chapter 90 . 7/1/2013
So I suppose she really is dead, and not just faking it? I think Harry was extremely harsh on McGonagall, but I guess it's understandable considering what just happened. Quirrell handled him better than you'd expect. Like, exceeds expectations. Will Harry eventually destroy the world? If so, will it be by design or in one of his experiments?
Guest chapter 90 . 7/1/2013
Thank you so much for updating! This story is so ridiculously addictive and every time there's an update I start rereading parts of the story to tide me over to the next update.

This was fantastic and I can't wait to see what your creative genius reveals the plot to be!
Lazurman chapter 90 . 7/1/2013
...And so, Harry successfully delivers the Why You Suck speech. Poor McGonagall.
reesessweetie chapter 90 . 7/1/2013
sigh... i hoenstly don't know what to make of quirrell. you've done a really fantastic job turning him from a stuttering, quivering, pathetic character from the original series to a unique and one of a kind person. his character has so many dimensions to it, i hvae to constantly change my mind about him. at first i thought he was going to go along with harry's madness and truly help him, but i'm glad that he won't follow along with everything harry's saying. but i would truly like to see if harry is capable of bringing hermione back to life. realistically, i can see that it is not a good idea, that one cannot bring back the dead, and if it's possible, that person will probably be just an animated corpse with no thoughts and emotions... but i truly hope that harry will be able to do it. i have no idea how, but if anyone can do it, it will be harry.

gah, i absolutely cannot wait for wednesday! you have no idea!
Sage of Wind Dragons chapter 90 . 7/1/2013
So while everyone seems to get in Harry's way and being unhelpfull the only person that will be guiding him and actually be of some HELP will be Quirrell in his endevors making Harry deep and deep in Quirrells ploy.
and hell denying him guidance will cause hell cause hed be alone and have to get creative and unteasted witch means that Harry has to rely on Quirrell completely for guidence.
I wonder if Harry is going to do its not you its my enimies type dea with the rest of his friends?
really I was amused about Harrys little views on the nature of blame and such things
you know how to make your charecters HUMAN SCARY HUMANS IN ALOT OF CASES. but flawed humans with the "right" and "wrong" things being all mixed and tangled and hell their isn't any solid footing there either with all of these resolutions on the "right".
I guess Dumbledore is going to have to teach Harry on how to move on in regards to losses. sad that a little kid that you supped up to genius intellect that has POWER and USED to have money but not anymore.
really the absolute worst combo right here.

although if harry doesn't believe in afterlife im really curious about what he thinks death is and the nature of dying specificalls and how he thinks bringing people back to life. like dieing what the conceious does, do you recreate it? and if so isn't that just a copy back up?

I do like the muggle thing that you brought up, that dead and brain dead and heart dead and all of it is interesting. and it make sense that the wizards might not know stuff like that.
so an explosive situation.
and yet, I miss all the war groups having their battles.
only Ron and Blaze? are really up for leading it. or like two others that I can think of but who are minor charecters and thus hard to remember after the fact. for a while. but when you bring them up int he piece ill go oh yeah him type deal.
did I mention that I liked how Ron was the one to shoot nevil in Harrys way down?
that could be interesting what you decide there, the people he could count on as of the moment.
anyway you tell a nice story so thank you for that.
nihilsupernum chapter 90 . 7/1/2013
If you *know* when the next update will be and it's two days from now, judging from previous author's notes, the next chapter is probably already complete. Is there an actual reason not to post it now?
Also, what does permanently sacrificing a drop of blood even *mean*? What if you got a blood transfusion? And how much is a drop?
I can't really picture Harry not going back in time to try to save Hermione just because Dumbledore said bad things would happen.
Strategist14 chapter 90 . 7/1/2013
Did... did Harry just call Minerva out on being an NPC?

That is simultaneously the best thing I've ever read, and also the most horrific.
Great job, author. You broke me.
badkidoh chapter 90 . 7/1/2013
Another great chapter.
Bob Schwartz chapter 90 . 7/1/2013
This is insane, and awesome. Quirrell moving to marginalize Harry while Harry is done shitting around. Wild guess that Quirrell leaves due to Harry somehow forcing him.
wolf girl811 chapter 90 . 7/1/2013
that memory spell is really terrible and enemies are over using that spell to cover bad deeds way to often now so I really can't wait for the long and well deserved counter to that problem knowledge is a double edge sword after all would not be surprise if the restricted section had quite a bit of useful and dangerous knowledge if use right and carefully but this is harry were talking about so im all for his eventual quest to that section one day.
i feel sorry for Hermione parent for the wizard world will never tell them the truth or might never give the body back for all we know terrible.
rosie chapter 90 . 7/1/2013
Thank you so much for the updates! It has made me very happy, except that it's so sad. I'm conflicted. But it's still amazing as ever!
Jacob chapter 90 . 7/1/2013
One would hope that the precaution Quirrell takes with the Restricted Section of the Library is to remove it from the Library. Shouldn't such matters be taught by mentors to those ready to learn it?
Unfortunately we don't have any internal dialog going on here. I don't think we can take anything said as cannon. I suspect Harry is just using this fixation on thinking about the problem to hide from thinking about anything else.
I am growing unhappy with the failures of the Rationalist. Themes like "People can't change." are untrue and a horrible lesson. Some readers who aren't quick on the uptake will learn the wrong things reading this. Please bring out an internal debate where Humanism Harry (Sub Personality A-Z) can at least expose people to things they should be learning.
sensoray chapter 90 . 7/1/2013
Woot! Can't wait for that update, I'm so excited that you are churning out chapters again!
OMG! OMG! OMG!
The very end really blew my mind.
I had certain theories about Quirrell. Now they are all blown to pieces!
Great writing, as usual. I will be eagerly looking forward to July 3!
Darklooshkin chapter 90 . 7/1/2013
Yeah, sorry Quirry. The only one who can legitimately stop him is dead. You, and the rest of the universe, just ran out of luck. Plus, unlocked time turner. Things are about to get nasty.
iShiney chapter 90 . 7/1/2013
90 chapters in, still can't tell if Quirrell is Voldemort or not. Well played, well played. Keep it up! (What's with the influx of updates, recently? Awesome awesome awesome! :D)
Ayriannah chapter 90 . 7/1/2013
Sh*t just got interesting. So many updates so close- Exciting. Bated breadth, etc.
Sachmis chapter 90 . 7/1/2013
Welcome to the Eye of the Storm, now with 50% more death-threats.
Rosa Mundi chapter 90 . 7/1/2013
Ouch. I honestly can't think of any way things could get better.
Bravo
Tom chapter 90 . 7/1/2013
Yes, excellent, he used the cooling charm. He seems to be getting back on his game.

Nice job incorporating the feedback from the last chapter into this one.
Neeros chapter 90 . 7/1/2013
I want to see harry tear apart the foundations of reality! _

Great story, so glad you are updating again.
flame5495 chapter 90 . 7/1/2013
Interesting, though nothing really happened. Quirrell is getting more confusing. I wish the next update was NOW! But thanks for writing this amazing work. Quirrell is definitely afraid of what Harry will do, I would be too, especially after hearing the new prophecy.
Guest chapter 90 . 7/1/2013
Quirrel you bastard... I can only imagine what direction you will manipulate Harry in. Though is that actual fear Quirrel is experiencing in realizing Harry might hurt himself experimenting with spell creation? I know he isn't actually afraid of science or Harry so long as he has the advantage, so he must be afraid of Harry dieing. But wow, what a perfect way to deflect suspicion from himself by denying Harry access to the restricted section.
bittersweet65 chapter 90 . 7/1/2013
Wow. I did not expect that Harry would be trying so hard to get Hermione back, although I should have. Great chapter! So glad that updates are frequent again! :)
Shay McSudonim chapter 90 . 7/1/2013
"Of course it was my fault. There's no one else here who could be responsible for anything."

That was the quote at the beginning of chapter two, one of the ones that didn't appear in the text. It was a flash-forward to this moment.

Which means the quote at the beginning of chapter one was probably Harry breaking the universe.

Hooray!
Nanashi113 chapter 90 . 7/1/2013
Awesome chapter!
G01den Unicorn 11 chapter 90 . 7/1/2013
Thank you for the Star Wars reference.
Oh dear.