Reviews for The End and the Beginning
Linda chapter 14 . 5/10
Good story
Rogue Survivor chapter 14 . 5/9
Ultimately, I can't find it within myself to recommend reading this story unless you are well and truly bored.
Harrison Aldrich Emrys chapter 2 . 5/8
Why does he keep saying fong? I don’t know if you already stated why, but it was just annoying
Rogue Survivor chapter 6 . 5/7
Our "heroes" casually burning everyone in Azkaban to death, sure hope they only put murderers in there, and not, say, petty thieves.
Stormzy chapter 3 . 4/28
Ay good luck to any future endeavors but damn this is where I depart... This just gets worse and worse
Stormzy chapter 2 . 4/28
I had only started reading chapter 1 when I wrote that review but oh my god... Jesus it really gets worse...
Stormzy chapter 1 . 4/28
Literally it's the start of the story and already damn... Like good damn for the writing skill but cmon what is this plot? He's somehow already that close with Hermione through some unwritten plot? Or how they decided to leave Ron behind for no reason at all other than you probably setting up some anti Ron stuff later.
Dragonanzar chapter 10 . 4/25
Great story so far. I'm really enjoying the relationship between Harry and Hermione, as well as the more peripheral ones with the Family (nice name, by the way - makes me think of the mafia ;) ) I'm glad that Hermione's parents now know the truth and have accepted the two of them, though with a little (understandable) difficulty. Maybe having realised that he was wrong about Harry's placement with his relatives, on the heels of his redemption project Snape going and killing multiple people, Dumbledore might second-guess himself in the future...probably not, though.

Just a thought about Voldemort - what if they tried sending an owl with a tracking charm? I mean, maybe he has anti-owl wards up or something, but given that pretty much every believes he's dead, he might not have bothered...

Another thought in response to your fifth point in your AN - the one about the Dursleys' treatment of Harry being supported by canon. I agree that most of what you said is a reasonable extrapolation of canon - the range of potential behaviour behind closed doors at the Dursleys' is quite wide. Anything from what is visible in the books - neglect, emotional abuse, verbal abuse, and allowance of child-on-child (or dog-on-child) physical abuse - to including a certain amount of physical abuse from the adult Dursleys (beyond the skillet incident which could be argued to be more of an intimidation than a genuine attempt at physical harm). Of course, all that is bad enough; I'm not trying to make light of it. Any one of those abuses would leave scars in the psyche of the person suffering them, and JKR is lamentably poor at dealing with the trauma she inflicts on her characters. I suppose because it was originally intended to be a children's book.

That said, I can't help but feel the cat-o-nine-tails was a bit over the top. Not because of the violence involved (that would be hypocritical as I'm writing a story where Vernon is significantly more sadistic than anything you've mentioned so far), but because of the premeditation. In order to hurt Harry like that, Vernon would have had to to find a shop that sells whips and then either buy or order one. I have no idea where I would even start finding a shop, and since I doubt Vernon is into the BDSM scene ;) I can't imagine why he would have any more clue, or who he would ask - a middle-aged company man taking up an interest in guns or golf is one thing; whips is quite another. Of course, these days Google would have the answer, but in the 80s... Plus, he would actually have had to spend money on the 'freak'. I could easily imagine him laying into Harry with his fists and feet and leaving him bloody and broken. Equally, I could imagine him grabbing a tool from the garden shed or his belt and causing just as much damage as a cat-o-nine-tails. Actually going out and buying a whip specially? That threw me.

Not, of course, that I'm expecting you to go and change anything - it's your story. Just thought I'd share my musings :)
kirahunter chapter 1 . 4/21
I have really enjoyed the story and look forward to reading the rest of your work!
Great plots with interesting takes on the original characters.
Lady Jewel
SixFtWookie chapter 13 . 4/21
The ocean seems like a horrible place to dump those foul things, it makes me expect Cthulu to rise or Aquaman show up to rain down vengeance with a fury. Nothing good can come of pollution of that nature.
SixFtWookie chapter 12 . 4/21
"Prune juice... a warrior's drinkLt. Com Worf
CarolsSister chapter 12 . 4/19
Please tell your Hermione if she chooses Tahiti to look up an older, overweight who owns beachfront property with a Dunkin' Donuts/Baskin Roberts/To Go franchise. There should also be a scooter and paddleboard rental attached to the property. She may be running from the disaster that is wizarding Britain, while I am just planning my retirement.
CarolsSister chapter 10 . 4/19
Just a stray thought - is there any chance that Minerva has the blood of Robert the Bruce running through her veins?

Still want to push fishhooks through Dumbles' balls and suspend him from the front entry to Hogwarts.
CarolsSister chapter 8 . 4/19
While he might not have done much at this point in time, I think I despise Dumbletwat for his deliberate blindness to the evil around him.
CarolsSister chapter 5 . 4/19
Putting the comment here as opposed to chapter 6 as will not allow for multiple comments on the same chapter, close-minded ninnies that they are.

Atticus freaking Finch? It is at times like this that I wish the wizarding world read more books from the no-mag world.

It is a testament to the intestinal fortitude of Hermione, Harry, and Sirius (and Remus as well) that they did not even hesitate to flambe those bastards who had already done so much harm, and would do so again. Maybe not Barty Crouch Senior. Yes, he was guilty of using an unforgivable multiple times on his son, but he did not kill, rape, torture, etc. as the Mortality Munchers did.

It hit me how very lonely Minerva must be from that comment about her wistful look. As I have many of your suggestions queued up, I thought I would mention flamethrower's most excellent "Of a Linear Circle". It is a very long, and extremely well-written time travel tale. It also has the virtue of Minerva finding love late in life.
1,877 | Page 1 2 3 4 11 .. Last Next »