Reviews for The Education of a Swordsman
Khrysalis chapter 3 . 12/26/2016
Yes indeed, this young man has just the gift needed drive his master nuts.

The beginning of this chapter had an interesting angle, one that I've never quite seen in the reconstruction of the relationship between these two. Hiko felt the need to carefully define that relationship, and the definition was just...Hiko. So very Hiko.

The events outside in the deep night were greatly interesting. Imagine—Kenshin understand the rhythms of the night, knows the ways of the things out and about in it. So much so that he has no fear of a sow bear. There's such contrast to his uncomprehending fear back at the marketplace.
Khrysalis chapter 2 . 12/15/2016
Ah, another chapter with quite a lot of nuggets. I'm glad we stayed with Hiko's point of view, because scratching my head thinking, "What the heck is wrong with this kid?!" along with him was delightful in its own way.

Sometimes it really surprises me what I will notice with that kind of delight, such as the way Hiko inwardly refers to Kenshin as "unwilling creature" or "wretched thing", like the boy is some exotic wild animal that the master is attempting to tame.

A definite highlight here was the interaction with the saké seller. This was very fascinating for me, because here we get to see someone who knew Hiko before he was Hiko. A bit of connection to the past when the Hiko we know was the baka deshi of the Hiko Seijuro before him. This vendor knew Hiko when he was a clumsy, complaining apprentice. It's especially boggling to think that Hiko believes he isn't inflicting the same misery on his own apprentice. What on earth could the former Hiko have put his own apprentice through if the current Hiko believes he has better methods?

Fascinating as that conversation was, and a bit humorous as well, I felt just a touch of sadness. Hiko will literally put all of himself into training this apprentice, because he knows that in order to complete Kenshin's training he will literally have to give his life. He couldn't know that Kenshin—and a very special sword—would one day find a way around the sacrifice it has traditionally taken to pass this sword style on.

I have only a little talent for drawing, but I actually tried to sketch the mental image I had of Kenshin running around with his new pinwheel, I found it so sweet.

You know, I already had a lot of sympathy for Hiko's role in Kenshin's life, but I'm actually gaining more reading this story. Upon finding out why Kenshin acted as he did in town, I felt duel urges—one to shake him until his teeth rattled, and the other to wrap him up and coddle him. In exactly that order. Raising this poor creature ought to have driven Hiko stark-raving mad.
Khrysalis chapter 1 . 12/12/2016
Ah! A different way of looking at things. I might have been ever so slightly unsettled to gain an understanding of how narrow a range of experiences this boy has. In fact, I'm not certain Hiko himself has reached that particular conclusion. More like, "The reason the boy doesn't understand this very simple thing is because he's a baka."

But that's Hiko to the hilt, isn't it?

On the other hand, Kenshin also showed that his brain is indeed working, as he takes the symbols on the map too literally and then tries to imagine mechanics in his misconceptions. It's actually quite adorable.

Once again your knowledge of the geography and history of Kenshin's land is astounding and more than a little impressive. I must admit to a little jolt when I read the word "Otsu".
an-earl chapter 3 . 10/20/2015
Thanks for writing. Hiko is a hard one to write- he loves Kenshin and cares a lot about him. But he has a sort of funny way of showing it and he'll never straight up admit it to him. That was a smart way of getting around that in chapter 2. (Btw, that was pretty heart wrenching omg Kenshin don't think like that...) "Because. I. Said. So."- nice
KenKa1804 chapter 2 . 7/18/2015
Thank you so much for writing this! your fic is so heartwarming, I love the master-student relationship is so sweet! Hiko is a pretty hard man, solitary too but then we see him get attached to this broken kid is just... awwww. He needs Kenshin just as Kenshin needs him, I love how you show his paternal side, even though he will not admit it. He really cares for his baka deshi! I would love to read something where we see how sad he felt when Kenshin left, please continue this!
kokoronagomu chapter 3 . 3/27/2014
lol ... kids. :-\

lovely and amusing. i remember the 'why?' game, it gets frustrating and the last line is what usually never ends it because there's usually always another 'why?'. loved the interaction with the bear.
gin
Syolen chapter 3 . 3/12/2014
So the master may have something to learn from the apprentice... ;)

So glad you updated! This is wonderful as always. Thank you!
Scarred Sword Heart chapter 3 . 3/8/2014
"Because I said so" the classic refrain of adults who have been proven wrong and don't want to admit it.
kitsuneluvuh chapter 2 . 12/28/2013
This is too precious for words
LadyRhiyana chapter 2 . 1/13/2013
Awww... That was sweet. Poor Kenshin, coming to believe Hiko won't sell him if he turns out to be useless. And Hiko's grand speech about *his* apprentice destined for great things? Well, of course *his* apprentice would be extraordinary.

Comparing Kenshin's terrified elusiveness to a particularly slippery fish was a nice touch.
kokoronagomu chapter 2 . 1/8/2013
oh poor baby! i just want to hug him and feed him and make all his monsters go away. *cries*

wow, very nicely described and hiko's thoughts and reactions. loved the end, he's going to be so hurt and putout when kenshin leaves at fourteen. one doesn't build a bond like that without becoming inextricably emotionally entangled.
omasuoniwabanshi chapter 2 . 1/4/2013
"he enjoyed the spectacle he created, the sidelong, appraising glances from the bolder girls, the open envy from other men. His height alone prompted amazed stares, and he moved with a self-assurance that parted crowds before him and trailed a wake of turned heads and open mouths."
That was such a great description of Hiko! I can totally see him thinking that way. I love that he let the merchant in on his plan to let Kenshin overhear that Hiko values him - though the merchant's "different is sometimes just different" comment didn't really go the way Hiko was intending.
The toy was a really sweet touch. Hiko can be kind, in a gruff sort of way, and pinwheels are a very traditional toy in Japan so I enjoyed the historical accuracy.
How heartbreaking, that Kenshin would think Hiko would sell or trade him! It does explain his baffling (to Hiko at least) mood and attitude change once they hit the marketplace. Good chapter! It's always a joy to read your work.
Murasahki-chan chapter 2 . 12/28/2012
I love the wonderful Kenshin/Hiko interaction. I especially like the way Hiko drapes his usual garments of arrogance around himself ("This boy will carry the sword into the new era.") while he manages to ignore his newly discovered hopes for the future. And the last scene deserves the highest accolade for a Shishou-Deshi fic, namely "Aww."
Peacebunnie chapter 2 . 12/25/2012
Hiko had the sweetest, truest reaction here - he knows he's not giving his deshi away, so it never occurs to him just what his twitchy child is worried about...
Syolen chapter 2 . 12/23/2012
So much love for this fanfic! The funny first story (I'm still trying to decide if Kenshin was asking genuine questions or if he tricked Hiko into taking him on a trip. Probably a bit of both. Smart kid. XD) and the heartbreakingly sweet second one.

I hope you'll write more! :D