Reviews for The Education of a Swordsman
an-earl chapter 3 . 10/20
Thanks for writing. Hiko is a hard one to write- he loves Kenshin and cares a lot about him. But he has a sort of funny way of showing it and he'll never straight up admit it to him. That was a smart way of getting around that in chapter 2. (Btw, that was pretty heart wrenching omg Kenshin don't think like that...) "Because. I. Said. So."- nice
KenKa1804 chapter 2 . 7/18
Thank you so much for writing this! your fic is so heartwarming, I love the master-student relationship is so sweet! Hiko is a pretty hard man, solitary too but then we see him get attached to this broken kid is just... awwww. He needs Kenshin just as Kenshin needs him, I love how you show his paternal side, even though he will not admit it. He really cares for his baka deshi! I would love to read something where we see how sad he felt when Kenshin left, please continue this!
kokoronagomu chapter 3 . 3/27/2014
lol ... kids. :-\

lovely and amusing. i remember the 'why?' game, it gets frustrating and the last line is what usually never ends it because there's usually always another 'why?'. loved the interaction with the bear.
Syolen chapter 3 . 3/12/2014
So the master may have something to learn from the apprentice... ;)

So glad you updated! This is wonderful as always. Thank you!
Scarred Sword Heart chapter 3 . 3/8/2014
"Because I said so" the classic refrain of adults who have been proven wrong and don't want to admit it.
kitsuneluvuh chapter 2 . 12/28/2013
This is too precious for words
LadyRhiyana chapter 2 . 1/13/2013
Awww... That was sweet. Poor Kenshin, coming to believe Hiko won't sell him if he turns out to be useless. And Hiko's grand speech about *his* apprentice destined for great things? Well, of course *his* apprentice would be extraordinary.

Comparing Kenshin's terrified elusiveness to a particularly slippery fish was a nice touch.
kokoronagomu chapter 2 . 1/8/2013
oh poor baby! i just want to hug him and feed him and make all his monsters go away. *cries*

wow, very nicely described and hiko's thoughts and reactions. loved the end, he's going to be so hurt and putout when kenshin leaves at fourteen. one doesn't build a bond like that without becoming inextricably emotionally entangled.
omasuoniwabanshi chapter 2 . 1/4/2013
"he enjoyed the spectacle he created, the sidelong, appraising glances from the bolder girls, the open envy from other men. His height alone prompted amazed stares, and he moved with a self-assurance that parted crowds before him and trailed a wake of turned heads and open mouths."
That was such a great description of Hiko! I can totally see him thinking that way. I love that he let the merchant in on his plan to let Kenshin overhear that Hiko values him - though the merchant's "different is sometimes just different" comment didn't really go the way Hiko was intending.
The toy was a really sweet touch. Hiko can be kind, in a gruff sort of way, and pinwheels are a very traditional toy in Japan so I enjoyed the historical accuracy.
How heartbreaking, that Kenshin would think Hiko would sell or trade him! It does explain his baffling (to Hiko at least) mood and attitude change once they hit the marketplace. Good chapter! It's always a joy to read your work.
Murasahki-chan chapter 2 . 12/28/2012
I love the wonderful Kenshin/Hiko interaction. I especially like the way Hiko drapes his usual garments of arrogance around himself ("This boy will carry the sword into the new era.") while he manages to ignore his newly discovered hopes for the future. And the last scene deserves the highest accolade for a Shishou-Deshi fic, namely "Aww."
Peacebunnie chapter 2 . 12/25/2012
Hiko had the sweetest, truest reaction here - he knows he's not giving his deshi away, so it never occurs to him just what his twitchy child is worried about...
Syolen chapter 2 . 12/23/2012
So much love for this fanfic! The funny first story (I'm still trying to decide if Kenshin was asking genuine questions or if he tricked Hiko into taking him on a trip. Probably a bit of both. Smart kid. XD) and the heartbreakingly sweet second one.

I hope you'll write more! :D
Scarred Sword Heart chapter 2 . 12/23/2012
And that is why it takes patience to deal with a traumatized ex-slave with bed wetting issues. Patience and lots of sake.
Murasahki-chan chapter 1 . 3/14/2011
Ah, Sue-san! Forgive me for not reviewing sooner! I can only plead a complete life-upheaval! But on to the review-

I love the portrayal of Kenshin's earnest, innocent dedication: "Are there lots of ropes?," indeed! Just what our eager-to-please Little Dragon would say. And how well you have portrayed one of the teacher's greatest joys, learning the pupil. It calls to mind a line from a great horseman, Arnold Rojas, who said "The horse is an intelligent animal. We must allow him to teach us how to teach him." How well Kenshin lessoned Hiko, and how well the Master appreciated his own shortcomings in this vignette. It lightened my day to read this.

Feafea chapter 1 . 8/25/2010