Reviews for Tears of an Oracle
i know that thisvis off topic but i need to say this. Spyro andvcynder need to say thise three magic words at some point. They love eachother and are to nervous to say it. This is making me so anxious. THEY NEED TO SAY THOSE THREE WORDS OR I WILL GO INSANE!
Soulfire72 chapter 28 . 1/10
Ah, at last Ignitus comes in. Glad to see him at least.
Overall, I enjoyed reading this story very much. I'm surprised to hear it's your first; to be honest, the quality of writing is one of the best I've seen in the Spyro fandom. Most of the lore is expanded without waving away source material (apart from a little continuity blunder in the beginning, but only a minor one) so kudos for that! I'm not usually big on including Flame and Ember as characters, but Ember was done OK - and you know how I feel about Flame. Flame, Flame, Flame - it wasn't until near the end that he finally did something remotely positive. At least he'll be better in the sequel with his attitude. Uh... right?
As for your other OCs... to be honest I didn't take much notice of them. The only one that I really remember was Seriphos - he was a pretty responsible and nice earth dragon, and called out Flame when he was being a jerkass. Otherwise - well too many 'os's.
Sparx played a useful part, too. We can't forget him, especially considering how dark the games sometimes got. Sure, he was annoying at times (Billy West WTF?) but he was a needed counterbalance, and you portrayed him very well in this respect.
I'm happy that so many dragons were found, but at the same time, I'm wary of how this will affect Residual Darkness. On one hand, the dragons are far less likely to die out without outside interference. The other hand is that there are now far more targets for the outside interference, so I'm a little concerned as to how many innocents could die because of this. Regardless, I might take a look at Residual Darkness and see how it unfolds once it's finished. Until then I might try and look at your other fics, if it pleases you?
Anyway, I wish you luck with your future works! Thank you for writing this story; I know it takes a lot of hard work and determination to write at this level. But don't procrastinate too much on your studies, OK?
Soulfire72 chapter 26 . 1/10
Poor Alta. Though, suicide is probably the first fate I would think of when he wished all of the dragon race to die. No doubt, that would include himself, as after wiping out the dragons, what then? Suicide is probably the kindest fate you could have given him, sad as it is.
The most horrible thing you've written? Doesn't matter, as it fits with Alta's character. Don't feel bad about it. There are fics out there who slaughter innocent dragons for kicks - I've mentioned being emotionally burned before. But this felt right, no matter how terrible it might feel to write it.
Soulfire72 chapter 24 . 1/9
Yeah, now Alta makes more sense - probably a bit premature in one of your author's notes that all would be explained in the chapter before, huh? On Alta - if you want to go with the angle that his vision was so distressing and horrifying that it broke his mind, more or less - yeah, that makes sense. I do feel sorry for him, if that's what really happened. If he wasn't insane, though, wanting all dragons dead because of what he lost doesn't make sense, because if he was distressed at seeing those dragons die, wouldn't he feel even worse if he was directly responsible for more death? But I digress; Alta makes sense so long as he went insane.
Soulfire72 chapter 23 . 1/9
Jeez, these young dragons aren't very pragmatic in combat, are they? Ember's indecision makes sense, but seriously, she couldn't freely talk with Cynder if Flame was really in that state during the time. Was he listening to them? Weird. Same with Spyro, when Alta began to lose focus as he lost his control on Flame, Spyro should've just attacked him again instead of asking what's going on. I'm also surprised Alta was so forthcoming about things that would give Spyro an edge. Knowledge is power, after all. And... Alta's insane? Really? He didn't really act like an insane guy before - more like a sociopath.
Soulfire72 chapter 22 . 1/9
Hmm... I don't really get Alta's reasoning. Destroying the world because he saw it in a vision? Just being presented with a vision that he's convinced is meant to come true doesn't justify his actions in the slightest - he never says why it's the natural order of the world, why it has to happen. I think this could be justified in a sense if he talked more about the world as Malefor wanted actually being a far greater place, without chaos, suffering and death, instead of the world which killed Alta's family. That would make more sense - even if still a little cliche. But as it stands Alta doesn't make enough sense to justify genocide. Genocide just... should never happen to an innocent race. Not in the present, anyway.
Soulfire72 chapter 19 . 1/9
I had just had to go aww at that scene with Spyro and Cynder... anyway let's see how things turn out.
Soulfire72 chapter 18 . 1/9
Well, as admittedly cliche as the past few chapters have been, still entertaining somehow. Nice job in that respect.
Soulfire72 chapter 15 . 1/9
I'm hoping... hoping... that Alta has an actual logical or justified reason for doing all the stuff he's done now and what he's going to do. I've had bad experiences in the past with 'evil' dragons just doing things for the evulz, especially when the consequences are dire. Hopefully Alta's different, but I won't get my hopes up. Aaand Spyro's caught in the middle of a love triangle... I think. Somewhat amusing, but it looks like he's doing his best to end the charade.
Soulfire72 chapter 13 . 1/8
Hmm... I don't know what to think of Alta. The oracle/seer angle is interesting and all, but I'm wary of liking any fanfic Spyro villain too much. Last time I did, I ended up getting emotionally burned... anyway, hopefully Flame might get beaten up for being such an idiot at some point.
Soulfire72 chapter 10 . 1/8
Wow, Spyro's way too nosy for his own good, huh?
Soulfire72 chapter 9 . 1/8
This was a pretty sweet chapter, though I kinda wished it spent more time on Spyro and Cynder in the Valley and maybe some more spending time in the village. Still, pretty sweet.
Soulfire72 chapter 8 . 1/8
Ugh... Flame is really starting to annoy me, to the point where I'm skimming over some of his sections. Oh well, at least the other characters' interactions make up for his petty behaviour. You know, his animosity could be a justified for a biological reason, if you think about it, maybe you could use that in the future if you want to edit this some more.
Soulfire72 chapter 4 . 12/24/2014
So I get the gist that this chapter was introducing Flame to Spyro and co, but it feels like he's been presented quite negatively. All he ever really says is how he's hot headed and wants to pick a fight, but at least Knuckles had reasons for his hot-headedness. Flame could've at least explained a little bit about why he's so keen to pick a fight. He doesn't have sufficient reason to be angry at Spyro, either. He doesn't really make sense. He might as well be a different character; granted, Flame from Sierra barely had any lines but he wasn't much like this at all.
Soulfire72 chapter 3 . 12/24/2014
Whoops, I guess my previous review was a bit premature... oh well.
This chapter felt a bit short, but only really because of the reunion with the parents. They probably didn't have time to tell them everything that happened or whatever; hopefully they might be able to come back and visit when or if they ever get the spare time.