Reviews for Pleasing Chains in the Soft Folds of Love
Madam'zelleGiry chapter 5 . 1/14/2012
This one was very fascinating; I love the way that at such a young age, we can already see that she is different from the rest of her family. And she knows it all too well.

All of these drabbles were very well done and gave us such a fascinating look at Andromeda, Wendy. I want to thank you very much for sharing! Excellent work!
Madam'zelleGiry chapter 4 . 1/14/2012
This was a dark piece but, again, you write it very well.

(you can take the girl out of the evil family, but you can't take the evil family out of the girl.) This was such a powerful line and it struck me as being very true. It was probably my favorite sentence of the entire drabble. The way that you write her in this one is a very fascinating way at looking at her character and reminds us of her background. I really enjoyed this one!
Madam'zelleGiry chapter 3 . 1/14/2012
This was was very different from the other two but I still can feel a power to it. We all must grieve in our own way and I can see this really happening to Andromeda. I can't honestly say that I liked it; after all, how can you 'like' a piece like this? But I liked the way that you wrote it because it came across in a very effective manner.
Madam'zelleGiry chapter 2 . 1/14/2012
This picture of ltitle Andromeda is very sweet. I really enjoyed this because I can see such truth in it. I take it that you have some experience dressing up little girls who don't want to be dressed? ( :

I think that my favorite part of this chapter was that I could really see Andromeda as she would later become in this little girl. Very well done!
Madam'zelleGiry chapter 1 . 1/14/2012
I know from experience just how difficult it is to write an effective drabble and I would have to say that you have definately succeeded in this. Very nicely done!
TheWordFountain chapter 5 . 1/13/2012
This is a great change from what was in the earlier chapters! Maybe it's because I am a Hufflepuff, but this is a great moment to read. It's reflective of what she went through as a child, but also her resilience and her differences from her family. There's something ingrained in her that made her different from those who molded her, and I hope you'll go into that later on. I'd like to see what made her different.

Although, I am a big believer in nurture being way more important than nature, if there even is a nature.

Great job once again!
TheWordFountain chapter 4 . 1/13/2012
Whoa. This is a very unexpected twist, and I have to say I enjoyed it immensely. How interesting it must be to be her, away from the family and doctrines she had all her life, and then having new ones to live by. It's great that you've put this spin on it, and I have to say it's making me think a lot.

I also immensely love your opening line "Broken plates and broken hearts..." because that is such a great comparison, along with being a great way to give the immediate feeling of the moment Andromeda was in.

Great job!
ShadedRogue chapter 5 . 1/12/2012
I really like how you begin and end the piece with the Hufflepuff colours, with the first one reflecting the joy and naivety of childhood, and the last one reflecting the terrible feeling of abuse that she suffers at her father's hands. It really shows how messed up her family is when her father is willing to beat a three year old girl just for wanting to be a Hufflepuff because the colours are pretty.
ShadedRogue chapter 4 . 1/12/2012
I like the darkness of this piece. Usually when I think of Ted and Andromeda, I think of essentially a happily ever after that happens to turn into a tragedy later on, but I never thought about the fact that they probably had fights like normal people do. I really love the last lines, it reminds the readers that even though she rejected her family, she is, at the end of the day, still one of them.
ShadedRogue chapter 3 . 1/12/2012
I really like this one because it at first seems like it's really just about Andromeda thinking of apple sauce, and then it takes a sudden, tragic turn at the end. I also liked the rushed feel of her thought process. It's interesting because the purpose of the rushedness isn't revealed until after you read the line about Tonks' death.
ShadedRogue chapter 2 . 1/12/2012
I love how this chapter is written in a completely different style from the one before (although, I suppose that's probably the point, but I find the contrast more powerful and interesting after reading one after another). I like how the language of this one is simpler, as reflecting through the thought process of a young girl.

The last line, I think perfectly reflects Andromeda, especially in her later years. Her family wants her to be nothing but the perfect image of their pure-blooded family, represented her in her mother trying to dress her up, and she wants nothing but to throw of these binds and do whatever she wants, so the line where she rips her dress and gets all dirty, seems to be paralleling when she gave up on the ideals of her family and decided to marry Ted.
ShadedRogue chapter 1 . 1/12/2012
I absolutely love your use of language, how it's slightly archaic, but not too archaic that you can't follow what's supposed to be going on. My favourite part is probably the first few lines, of course the children become "cursed with the woes of the generation before them". I imagine this is supposed to represent how Andromeda feels like she's being smothered by her family, and smothered by all the hate her family has for the wizards who aren't pure-blooded, and all that. And how, consequently, even though you don't specifically mention it, how her sisters get caught up in all the hate as well.

Maybe I'm trying to read too much into it. Harry Potter was never my strong suit.
TheWordFountain chapter 3 . 1/12/2012
Oohhh what a good change of scene. I think this was a good situation to show that not all was smiles with Andromeda after Tonk's death. The way the whole paragraph seemed to be based in a rant or stream-of-consciousness fluidity showed just how quickly Andromeda's mind was moving. It showed just how Andromeda was struggling with Tonk's death. Well, that's my take anyway.

However, I am wondering about your use of her asides throughout this chapter. They are italicized, but is there a specific reason that you didn't use capitalization or proper punctuation? I'm interested to hear what you were trying to convey, because this is an area where I'm no good at assuming.

Anyway, really nice! :)

TheWordFountain chapter 2 . 1/12/2012
Ahhh I love this! I don't know how to write it out, but I guess I'll start with your use of "Mummy." It really puts the reader in a young girl's shoes, and I think that makes her thought process and evolution all the more believable. Plus, the italicized quotes of Andromeda's mother do a really good job of showing the attention span of a young girl. At least I think so. It's just barely seems to register, and I'm sure most anyone else imagined Andromeda's mother prattling on about this and that as she dressed her daughter, and only a few snippets caught Andromeda's ear.

And then the last sentence was a simple, concise way of "shatter[ing]" (as you said) the earlier part of the chapter. All in all, this was great.

TheWordFountain chapter 1 . 1/12/2012
Ahh, dribbles are always very hard for me to review. I have to say that I really enjoyed this because I think you did a wonderful job at being powerful, yet not overbearing. This is important in dribbles, if only because you need to get ahold of your readers more swiftly and more powerfully with less words.

Your responses, or explanations (I'm not really sure yet!), to the Ovid quotations, are extremely well done as well. There is a fluidity, beauty, and power behind your words, and I think you did well at giving a premise to the story. Not knowing the complete story keeps me in suspense and makes me want to move on very quickly to the next chapter so I can gain a better understanding.

Can't wait for the next chapter. :)

51 | Page 1 2 3 .. Last Next »