Reviews for Bookends
Glamour Addict chapter 1 . 6/8/2012
That was real sad and has set me into a full blown depression...Poor Jervis...
Nightmare1 chapter 1 . 11/10/2010
An odd little ditty, but amusing.
CaTigeReptile chapter 1 . 10/12/2010
This is a great characterization of elderly men (although they are WAY older than 75 in this, at least in my perception). I haven't read your other stories, but based on your excellent atmospheric writing, I should (although I'm not really into the whole soul-crushing despair thing). The Riddler's characterization had a good personality so that I can definitely see him as being the old-man version of the villain, but Scarecrow just kind of seemed like any random old man. But he's never really been given a consistent canonical characterization, anyway - which I think is fine 'cause it's cool to see different artists' takes on the same character - it's like comic superheroes and villains are in the 'public domain' of creative license (canonically, I mean) - but I wish I had seen more than just a cranky old man. Maybe something a little more esoteric, like, well, the idea of the inevitable end of existence looming nearer and nearer as his time comes to - well, I suppose that would be . . . not so light-hearted.

Sorry for going on like that, but your story inspired a lot of interesting thoughts about character-building. It's great!

And clam chowder is the best food ever.
BloomingFireHeart chapter 1 . 9/26/2010
I have to say I'm a little surprised your short story hasn't had tons of reviews! I think it's one of the most original stories about Jonathan Crane that I have ever read. I thought it was very clever of you to write about the batman villians being old and retired. I can honesty say I have never read anything like this about the batman villians before. What an interesting concept! It's so original and nicely written. Well done!
ginnyisdacoolest chapter 1 . 5/31/2010
This is a lovely little story - funny in places and touching in others. I'd never thought about what the Batman villains would be like as old men.

Nygma is great as the witty and rather arrogant old man, but Scarecrow feels a little out of character, though. It would be nice to see some little indications of who he once was; the only one I was able to find was his observation about people 'ignoring that which he fears he'll become'.

I love the idea of them playing chess when they meet up :)
VertigoShock chapter 1 . 5/8/2010
This is great. I love your take on Edward and Jonathan as grumpy old men.
highland girl 1592 chapter 1 . 4/14/2010
How bittersweet.I can certainly

imagine Jonathan going from a

cranky lonely young man to a

grumpy lonely old man.:( And as for

Eddums dear? He'd never be cranky or

grumpy or alone.I can see him marrying

one of his girls and having twins.

A boy and a boy would maintain

the 'status quo' much to his parents secret

disappointment,but Eddie's daughter will

follow in her father's footsteps and become

the new name would be Edith...

Edie for short.:D Eddie will also be a grandpa

um,about four or five grandkids! lol.

Jonathan would rather die than admit it but

he appreciates Eddie's friendship.:)
GiveTheDevilHisDue chapter 1 . 4/10/2010
Love. This. Story! It's true to the characters and creative :) I feel as though age is catching up with Edward's mind more quickly than it is with Jonathan's. Hehe.
Aliera chapter 1 . 4/9/2010
I loved their dialoge.

Loved the calm and humor Eddie kept to Jonathan's grumpiness.

especialy the answer to the state of the scarecrow's retirement.

I don't usualy start readding this pairing orJoker\riddler or two-face\riddler because many times it just turns into slash.

This story, was well-worth reading. It was inteligent, funny and sweet. And even at old age the characters were very well presented.

Hugs

Aliera
LittleBiscuit chapter 1 . 3/10/2010
I love it. Very well written indeed, I like how you take time between the conversation to paint the scene from an outsiders view by having the cyclist come by. Clever.

The story itself is in on one hand heart-warming but on the other very sad. We never think of our heroes (or, in this case our favourite rogues) growing old and die one by one.

Ah, but the world must go on, eh?

Very nice work, I bow to you.

Cheers! *tips hat*
Sunflare2k5 chapter 1 . 3/8/2010
Were you listening to a lot of Simon & Garfunkel when you wrote this?

Bookends - title track of their 4th album

"Hazy Shade of Winter" - The references to the weather

"Voices of Old People" - their age

"Old Friends" - despite what Johnathan says, if he was truly that much against Edward they wouldn't be meeting up.

"Can analysis be worthwhile? Is the theatre really dead?" - direct quote from "The Dangling Conversation" lyrics.

But it's a good story. :)
Captain Zex chapter 1 . 3/8/2010
Hehe, very cute. I love how bitter Jonathan and how chirpy Edward is, very well done.
TheBlackCatCrossing chapter 1 . 3/7/2010
You know what I really like? Your style. Very witty and your descriptions are flawless. There is this extra breath of light you add into the characters. For example, I love JK Rowling but I find her wording and descriptions bland. You are the perfect panacea for that. Like, there is this extra spice to it, you know?

BTW, it was kick ass meeting up with you. I hope all is well and we can go comicbook shopping next time!

Cheers!
The Illegible chapter 1 . 3/7/2010
I'm very out of it right now and haven't done much reviewing lately, so this'll be a quickie here. :-P I really enjoyed this fic. First because I'm relieved that things are at least somewhat more pleasant for Jon and Eddie than they were for Jervis and Harvey, second because it was just /nice/. And that is a horribly unspecific way to phrase my opinion, so lets see...

The "drowning in his overcoat" description stood out a lot, and I'm a major fan of Jonathan's scarf. I've seen him with one when written by at least three different authors, which is both fitting and interesting because I don't think I've seen him wear one anywhere in cannon yet...anyway, I also loved how ENERGETIC Eddie still is. His thick glasses and classy outfit on top of still being a cheerfully quirky guy (albeit with some memory lapses) just made me so happy. Plus I'm glad he takes the time to visit Jon and offer soup and make conversation despite the inevitable snark. While it took me a moment to grasp the real eight letter word, once I did it brought a chuckle.

I could probably go on, but my attention span and other projects combined are dragging me off. Glad you got this fic out. :-)