Reviews for The Unending First Contact War
Axcel chapter 1 . 1/2/2013
You know, what I don't get is why the Systems Alliance (first, the name is stupid). Seriously, United Nations is far more likely, and consider each colony to be its own nation after reaching a certain population, like how the United States...states gained populations and eventually petitioned to become states. Said method clearly worked out well for frontier territories, so it'd probably work well on an interstellar level, too.

Anyway, why does the Alliance have such crappy defenses? In reality, if we discovered alien ruins and mass effect,ect. on Mars we'd have built Orbital Defense Platforms (like from Halo) and probably one or more of those installations that ring around the planet (seen in Starship Troopers the movie). We wouldn't burst forward with exploration because of the distinct possibility of running into Protheans. Instead, we'd only colonize a new world/moon when population and resources made it necessary. We'd also build strong defenses for each of our holdings before even allowing colonists to apply to live there. We also wouldn't rely on just eezo, we'd study the effects and way it effects gravity, mass, and...well everything else that it might or might not effect (even, probably, check if it conducts things, not just electricity passing through it). We wouldn't rely on it at all after getting our game on simply because we would see it as a useful variable in scientific study, not as a end-all-be-all substance. We're just too curious to allow the perspectives it opens up to be wasted.

We'd have been (Forerunner system) high Tier 3 or low Tier 2 by first contact with the Citadel species. Not to mention we probably would have something akin to slipspace travel through the study of how element zero affects & interacts with space/time (then replicating it without element zero after observing what causes the interactions and in what manner the interactions occur). Lets not even start on the anti-matter and hard-light weaponry.

Seriously, the Citadel Species gimp themselves horribly. They even appear to not comprehend the least bit about the technology they use (well, not comprehend the science behind it) or show any use of the scientific method. It's...kinda disgusting, actually. Oh, and humans would so use AI (like Cortana-level and above). Heck, we'd probably consider them to be humans without a biological body and would treat them as fellow humans. Oh and Bolo...and think soldiers/sailors/pilots/ect. with a VI like program in their neural lace that acts like a ZERO system (Gundam Wing) but without the insanity... yeah.
Relvain Jenafuse chapter 3 . 10/8/2011
LOL, I have read that book. But forget the name orphanage or something like that?
Relvain Jenafuse chapter 1 . 1/1/2011
I have read that book, the slugs were so stupid and I don't understand how they don't have air support, the explanation in the book was dumb. PS did first face to face meeting have the Turian on the crapper?
BrazeRancor chapter 3 . 3/8/2010
So technically it's now the Second Contact War?

Or the Re-Contact War?

Or Contact War II: The Contact?
College Fool chapter 2 . 3/8/2010
I'm enjoying this: I actually enjoy what-ifs and alternative histories in general, but I was a bit taken aback by your unusual format. It certainly isn't typical, and it's a bit shorter than most on a chapter by chapter format, but it's format means you can actually cover a lot of events easily, yet things such as the top brass conversation on scapegoats keep a human element to it.

I'll admit, I'm haping canon Mass Effect characters start filtering in (unless I'm missing them). It took me awhile to realize that the Harris blamed wasn't Harkin (Fade), and that (General?) Davidson wasn't Anderson. I realize you're sticking to a timeline, and so they wouldn't have come up yet, but I admit I am hoping to see mentions of known characters.

Out of curiosity, any reason you're refusing anonymous reviews?
BrazeRancor chapter 1 . 3/7/2010
A rather interesting idea. Cant believe I didn't think of it. Good luck.