Reviews for Angle
Crow's Talon chapter 1 . 8/5/2013
This is yet another excellent story.

As always, I really, really love your characterization of Sherry. You have made her such an interesting character and deepened her in ways that make her a well-rounded and realistic person. She can be mean, but she can also show hints of concern and decency, and she leads Jonathan to test himself and try new things. This well-rounded, more adventurous Sherry adds a lot to her underdeveloped comic character and makes me respect her as a character on her own as opposed to a plot device. Here, I can see why Jonathan got attached to Sherry and pinned enough hopes on her to ultimately lash out in the way he did when she turned on him.

The dialogue is fresh, realistic, and well-done, and I like the differences between the ways Sherry and Jonathan speak. I also liked the italicized lines; they show how Sherry treats Jonathan around her friends as opposed to how she treats him in person. I like the contrast between their personalities - Jonathan is constantly working hard and focusing intensely on schoolwork while Sherry's more concerned about having fun and being adventurous, encouraging Jonathan to be the same way. Your use of language fits the characters and how they view one another.

Sherry herself seems conflicted here - she likes Jonathan enough to hang around him of her own will and teaches him to try new things, but she isn't willing to stand up to him in front of her friends at school and risk her social position. You do a great job with her here as usual, and your take on her relationship with Crane is a multi-dimensional and unique one - she isn't all bad or mean, or entirely the stereotypical shallow cheerleader that she came across as in the comics. I like how she does some rougher things like tree-climbing, as that adds a lot to her. As for Crane, I always love the way you write him, and he is very anxious here, probably in part because he's around Sherry. Great job with her and with Crane - you add a lot to their relationship and give a great deal to an underused character with a lot of potential.

And great, great use of double language and foreshadowing in the last line and the use of the word "scarecrow" - especially given that Jonathan is seen on a tree in Batman Annual #19 when he attacks the prom in costume. Sherry teaching him to climb adds an extra bit of irony to that scene.

Great job! I really enjoyed this, and I look forward to reading more of your work. Your take on the relationship between Sherry and Crane is the best I've ever seen here.
deleted9 chapter 1 . 3/19/2010
I really liked this..it makes me like her a bit more too than in that other one. She's more...I don't know...nice, I guess. You can still tell she isn't as nice about him around her friends but to him...seems like she could do some good for him. Great story!
Anime Monster chapter 1 . 3/8/2010
Interesting, how does it fit into the grand scheme of things? That's the only question I have. It seems Johnny is being pulled further and further in. That italic part kinda confused me.