Reviews for You're Coming A Long Way, Mary Anne
KayEn78 chapter 1 . 6/15/2011
In my teens, I read the BSC all the time. I loved that series and went to the bookstore or library often to see if any new BSC books had arrived. When I found out Ann M. Martin wasn't writing the series anymore and ended it with the Graducation book, I was sad, but knew that all good things must come to an end. However, I have never heard of the Fabulous Five - was that a later series that dealt with the BSC in high school or something? I don't remember seeing those books at the bookstore or library. I do remember seeing The California Diaries with Dawn Schafer and her friends.

This is a great start to Mary Anne's journal. It will be interesting to see what the other members of the BSC are up to in 2004. Undergrad and move-in day...I remember it all too well! I look forward to reading about Mary Anne's senior year of undergraduate school. It'll be interesting to see how the others turn out as well.

I realized that when I saw this story, it had been published and updated so long ago, but I figure it can't hurt to leave a review. I'm fairly new to the site myself, as I've only been on it since mid-January. Still, I know these BSC stories of yours will bring back fond memories for me.

-Kristi
MaryAnnefan4Life chapter 1 . 2/11/2010
I liked the story a lot.

I love Mary Anne.. Good job
FonzFan82 chapter 1 . 11/23/2009
I read this chapter and thought it good so far. I had been a fan of the BSC when it was popular. I read the series from the time when I was in the fourth grade till I was in the tenth grade. I'm kind of like Stacey in a way. I was born in the city, but not New York City. I was born in Denver, Colorado instead of New York. I now live in a small town in Colorado that is 6 - 8 hours from Denver.

I even listen to a '70s pop singer that is from New York named Barry Manilow, but he now makes his residence in California, but performs in Las Vegas. Barry Manilow lived in Brooklyn, New York until he became famous, in my research, so yes, he's like Stacey in a way. I'll read more of the story sometime soon and let you know what I think.
ChetvornoHoro chapter 16 . 12/26/2006
I should have added a little more to this and I will. I've read this story, and it's pretty good. I've thought about it, and the more I think about, the more it makes sense. Even though I wouldn't consider Mary Anne the most liberal of the BSC, I would still say it makes sense that she's a liberal Democrat. It's nice to see. As I said before, I'm like the Mary Anne you've created: we're both shy, and have almost the same views about a lot of things. It's nice to see Mary Anne portrayed as someone other than the sterotypical Mary Anne that is so common on here.

I would love to hear more about Mary Anne, especially about more current times. Like with Hurricane Katrina, it would be nice to see the BSC's reaction to what happened in New Orleans...knowing Mary Anne, she would have been very supportive of the people there. Or, reactions to the elections that happened last month..that would great.

Anyway, keep up the good work.
ChetvornoHoro chapter 1 . 7/27/2006
I like the story a lot. We have a lot in common. Mary Anne was always my favorite character. Even though it's nice to see her grow up, but I think you placed too many of your views into her into a point where she seems...cookie cutter. Not all liberals think the same way as not all conservatives do. But other than that, the story's good.
Anacondah chapter 16 . 6/18/2006
I like the exploration of Mary Anne's character. I also know that many people's lives are just like this; quiet and mostly free of any drama. There seems to be some peculiar emphases on people getting colds, and I kept expecting someone to develop some sort of terrible disease.

I like your writing style, but I do think this story needs more action and/or drama.
BalletPrincess chapter 15 . 11/27/2003
You UPDATED! YAY! As usual, an awesome chapter, I always enjoy reading your stories. I'm glad to see that in your story, MaryAnne and Kristy have stayed friends all this time, I hate stories that have all the BSCers grow apart. I don't really think that would have happened, especially with MA and Kristy. :)
visitor chapter 14 . 3/2/2003
I think I'm going to have to agree with the chorus on the political viewpoints, too, and it certainly isn't that I disagree with most of them, but they're presented awfully symplistically. I think Mary Anne, more than many people, would be able to really empathize with people even when they don't agree with her. Her views often come across as stereotypical and cookie-cutter. I would see Kristy, say, as much more stubborn and absolutist in her views, with Mary Anne as more of an empathic mediator. I think she sometimes comes off lacking empathy here, like she really can't even imagine that people could, in good conscience and thoughtful reasoning, come to different conclusions than her. I reread the earlier parts, and in a place like her report of psych class in Ch. 5 it really surprises me that she doesn't say something like "I can't imagine how scary it must be for some parents if they think their kid is hiding something important, but I still think you have to respect their privacy and try to be supportive so they come to you." I don't think she would just dismiss her classmates like that.

(also, nit-pick - Hillary became senator in 20. How are they voting for her "third term" in 2004 (that's chapter 8). Since you usually have a consistent timeline, you might want to fix that.

And the "politics" at the beginning of Ch. 9 seem off to me as well. I didn't think Mary Anne would go for conspiracy theories.

That said, I think it would be much more powerful if there were actually any political debate/dialogue, either among the former BSCs or Mary Anne's new friends or colleagues. Even if you see them as all liberal, not all liberals feel the same about every single issue. I think it would be interesting if some of the BSCers split on abortion, the death penalty, what action should be taken toward Iraq; stuff with no easy answers. It would be a lot more real, I think and it might even help you understand both viewpoints better.

I do think you are doing a good job with Mona.
CNJ chapter 14 . 3/1/2003
An ee is an e-mail; I've heard it called ee for short. Thanks for the reviews, everyone!
Lucy H chapter 14 . 3/1/2003
Like it, but what's ee?
Moon Gazer chapter 13 . 2/28/2003
Nicely written. Can't say that Mary Ann ever struck me as being a liberal democrat, but hey, artistic license and all that. The story however, is in danger of becoming a political rant. I can understand that you feel strongly about gay and feminist rights ( as do I, being lesbian myself), but your work is threatening to shove it down the readers throat, which takes away from the reading experience. We want to read about Mary Ann, not the politics of the time. Watch yourself, but keep up the good work.

PS. Not all conservatives are against personal rights and freedoms, myself a case in point. _~
Hailey chapter 13 . 2/2/2003
Interesting, but I have a few comments. My problem with this story is that there is not much of a plot. It does read like a diary, but I think it would be a much better story if there was a definite plot: a problem, a climax, etc. Also, many times it seems like you "take over" Mary Anne's voice to give your own views on politics and other issues. I don't think there's anything wrong with showing your beliefs in a story; I just think it's a little too much when every single character in the story is a liberal, because that is not realistic. I know when I started writing, I tended to give my characters my beliefs and dump beliefs that I don't agree with on characters I hated. Eventually, I learned to stop doing that and get inside the heads of characters who believe differently than I do. It's actually really interesting to write a character who is very different than you, and I think it really adds to a story if you have characters that are varied. This review is not a flame; it's meant to be constructive criticism. Keep writing!
BalletPrincess chapter 13 . 2/1/2003
COOL! You updated! Yay... good chapter! I havent had time to update, but I love reading about Mary Anne... write more soon!
nicole chapter 12 . 11/29/2002
it was pretty good. i liked it. it was just a little to intense and mature for me. but it was well done
Guest chapter 3 . 10/26/2002
weird to think of M-A getting wasted
65 | « Prev Page 1 2 3 4 .. Last Next »