Reviews for A Flickering Candle in the Darkness
Steve chapter 2 . 3/17/2013
...That was close! I thought Isaac and hector would-I'd rather not say it. whew anyway, good story
SuperiorDimwit chapter 10 . 8/30/2012
I remember reading this fic long ago. Stumbling over it again, I thought I'd re-read it. I can see this happening, yes. It feels like a possible scenario for Hector, both in meeting Dracula and his "development" (regression?) of character in his service. It feels like it holds together well with canon - if you'd continue writing, that is... *hint hint*

I really like that you're telling the story of Adrian's betrayal, too. Technically, the first time he betrayed Dracula was in 1476, when he sided with Trevor Belmont (who I assume is the Belmont on his way?). So "I've done it before" isn't entirely true, unless we count him betraying his father in thought. Wonderful way of bringing up Lisa and tying her story to Hector's. (I always thought it was strange that he never thought back on Alucard in CoD. Really, they must've lived under the same roof for a while?)

Also, I can't help but think... Are you familiar with the plot in Lament of Innocence? Because I see interesting parallels to be made.

In LoI we see Mathias Cronqvist exact revenge upon God for taking his wife Elizabetha from him, by becoming a vampire (under the name Dracula). To this end he betrays his best friend Leon Belmont and sacrifices the fiancé of the latter. He then offers Leon to share eternity with him, because he has also suffered the unfairness of God (or, uh, Mathias, technically...). The interesting thing is that Hector is not unlike Leon (check character design if cutscenes fail you). So aside from seeing Lisa's strength in him, Dracula might also see the reflection of his defiant old friend (and later arch enemy).

And please, write more. You've had us hanging on the verge of a son-against-father rebellion for more than a year!
SuperiorDimwit chapter 6 . 8/30/2012
Reminds me of the time I got a syringe stuck in my neck during a half-failed surgery procedure... It's a horrible, burning, tearing sensation to have something sharp pierced through your skin and wiggling about in your veins. (Note: it's the movement of switching angles that hurts, not how deep in it goes. Go too deep and he'll be out of the artery and get no blood.) Not that you'd need a reference, but... that's what it feels like. To be a little nitpicky it's virtually impossible for blood from the jugular to leak over in the windpipe. Dracula would need VERY long fangs for that.

Reading on, reading on...
Machlassie chapter 10 . 6/15/2011
It's nice to find a serious Curse of Darkness story on this website! I'm hoping you're going to incorporate Rosalee into it soon. Good job and keep up the good work!
James Birdsong chapter 10 . 5/20/2011
People do like the two chapters
LadyArmster chapter 10 . 4/30/2011
Hey, it's been a long time! I hope you are doing well, and I was really excited when I saw that you updated your story about Hector. Sorry for seeming to disappear suddenly. Unfortunately,I was overwhelmed by school work and final exams, and had very little free time this semester. :(

The quality of this fic is superb. I found a few typos here and there, but nothing that can't be fixed with another grammar check. I like how tension between Adrian and Hector is building. Adrian seems pretty in character - its clear that, like Hector, he uncertain about Dracula's authority. My only question is why Adrian is allowed to hang out with Dracula if he has been helping the Belmonts? Oh well, I probably need to play Symphony of the Night again to remember his storyline.

Hector is clearly torn between light and darkness, and you did an excellent job portraying his unease about his future with Dracula in this chapter. I'm curious to know why Hector adores Dracula so much and how his decision to go against him will impact his rivalry with Isaac. There are so very few good stories written about Curse of Darkness. Fortunately, yours is one of them.

I'm looking forward to seeing where you will take this story. Will you incorporate Hector meeting Rosalie into the story eventually? How you will describe Hector's ultimate "betrayal" of Isaac and Dracula? I really want to know what happened to make Hector finally "snap," so to speak. Overall, you have done a great job at providing readers with a very unique view of Hector's past.

As always, I will eagerly anticipate your next update. Now that my classes are done for the spring/summer, I will have a lot more time to read and write! :D If you are still beta reading stories, be sure to send me a message as I am working on future chapters for Melancholia and posted a new chapter a few days ago. :)
Amon2 chapter 9 . 9/29/2010
I hope Adrian frees Hector from Dracula's chains as well, and I look forward to see how they manage to escape. Difficult though to do so, if they ask for a Belmont to help them things might go alot smoother. Man, I rememeber all the Innocent Devils in the game, the hardest to achieve was pumpkin kid and Ares, you have to go through alot to get them. Short, but I liked this chapter, hope you update soon.
MaryGarland chapter 9 . 9/27/2010
What a lovely story. I really like it ! You now have a french fan.

Hope you get well soon !
chocolate banana chapter 1 . 9/2/2010
keep going
Scitzo and Psyco chapter 8 . 7/29/2010
Finally an update! I was worried this story died. short but funny, hooray for dumb vampire hunters! Sorry for not reviewing chapter 7. I was on vacation. I have a question, I always thought that Hector and Isaac were the same rank. Could you explain what Hector said/did to outrank Isaac? I don't mean to throw you off course with your plan for the story, but the Castlevania fan in me would like to know. Still a great story. Please continue soon. *gives you sad eyes*
Amon2 chapter 8 . 7/25/2010
Poor, poor Hector. If you ignore the fact that he himself used to be a villian he's as trapped as his victims. What's a hot guy to do to escape? Great chapter, Sorry I haven't updated yet. I wish I could update my story but I've sort of hit a wall and can't think of anything to continue with. I haven't given up though, it will just take some more brainstorming. Again, great chapter, update soon.
James Birdsong chapter 8 . 7/24/2010
The world thanks you for the five chapters I think.
LadyArmster chapter 8 . 7/23/2010
Horray, you updated! :) I liked this chapter. You have done a really great job with showing Hector's divided morality. The 'rape' was pretty disurbing and I can imagine it would greatly bother Hector even though he doesn't want to show it. Is there any reason why Hector likes Dracula in particular? It would also be interesting to know Isaac's backstory and how he met Hector, though I don't want that to distract you from keeping the story in Hector's POV. I can tell Hector is starting to emotionally break down at this point. Part of what making this chapter kind of disturbing is the fact that I could see Isaac raping someone without the slightest thought. I look forward to reading the next chapter. Update soon. :)
LadyArmster chapter 7 . 7/9/2010
Poor Hector :( I feel bad for him. Isaac is such a creep, even when he tries to be "nice" to Hector. The lemon in this chapter was a nice addition to the story. I'm glad you decided to continue with it. You have done an effective job at portraying Hector's struggle between morality and immorality, which is a significant part of his character most CoD authors tend to overlook. I am also glad that your story has an actual plot/storyline and isn't just about sex. I look forward to reading more, soon (please?) *puppy dog eyes* :D
Amon2 chapter 7 . 7/8/2010
Poor Hector, always caught between these two fiends. Who will save him from this terrible(maybe) fate? Great chapter, please update soon.