Reviews for IN THE NAME OF SCIENCE
griezz chapter 17 . 3/11/2015
Wow! What a powerful story! Characters were vividly drawn for the most part; McCoy seemed a little didactic and a tad less compassionate, but I figured that was due to his role in the story.
There was one thing that seemed questionable: wasn't it established right at the beginning that knowledge gained from such evils was against the law to use? So, since it directly came from the research, McCoy would only be releasing an unusable treatment, right?
Magma chapter 17 . 1/8/2014
This story is really good. I'm impressed by the characterization of each person, especially at the end with the vote because they all sounded exactly as I would imagine. Also, (coming from the future year of 2014), I now have more love for Jean Grey. I'm a comic fan since 2009, and I've read a lot of classic X-Men stories (including alllllll New Mutant stories up to issue 94 because they're my team) and then, for the most part, have skipped over 90s comics and early 2000s comics. The only comics I've read from that time are ones with Rahne in them (she's my absolute favorite Marvel character and how I happened to find this fic). That being the case, Jean Grey has always sort have been elusive to me. I can't explain it better than that. But her caring for Rahne, and her Nay vote, which all fall in line with what I HAVE gotten from her character, have made me open my heart a little more to her.

I am a huge fan of breaking characters to pick up the pieces, which sounds horrible, and you've done an excellent job with Rahne and her platonic soulmate Dani. This was a hard but enjoyable read! (Also Kurt was lovely, my blue ball of fur and love)
skywiseskychan chapter 17 . 10/6/2010
I liked this story, I liked the issue and I like how you had the deciding vote cast. It was I feel an importaint thing to do it that way, and have his vote be the deciding factor. I think it was also the only reasonable way to portray your viewpoint in a fair way. However and here is something I will admit to be unfair, I think that it should have been Rahne who decided what was done. While realistic, and reasonable, and even understandible as to why she would have had but a single vote, she as one of/the survivor should have had the ultimate say in what was done with what was learned from her ordeal. Your leaving her own personal decision left unsaid was probably wise in the story to allow it to go with the moral you wanted without seeming to FORCE the moral you wanted. My position would have to be that it is the right of those who's rights were violated to deturmine what should be done with any knowledge gained from it. Be that informations source concealed to disuade future travesty's or openly stated to give those who suffered credit.

Given that it is imposible to ask that question of those whom would be most likely to suffer such experimentation I think that I would have to say that such information must be suppressed if those it was taken from cannot speak for themselves that they wish it otherwise.
zamzowwow chapter 17 . 3/16/2010
Heartrending,thought provoking, suffering heartrending,disturbing because the fact is this has happened and in some places probably still happening. The thought provoking part is,dispites know the suffering and torture was used to obtain the information and have known people close to me such a cure could have saves not just the millions that could have theoretically been saved, I don't know how I would have portail of what all the charracters go thru was perfect and the part at the end when Rahne says she wasn't free and never would be is the truth for anyone who has gone thru such a traumatic experience. Thu some will call for a better way to end it,it was the right and perfect way to do so.
H184 chapter 17 . 6/16/2009
Thank you for the great story. This really made me think about the ramification of both outcomes. Although I don't like the fact Rahne (My fav. X-Man) suffered so much in this but her not not having children was fixed (still pissed about the rape); it is truly one of the best, thought provoking stories I've read. The debate made me question my views on this subject, and I'm still not sure where I stand. Keep the stories coming.
EmeraldFang chapter 17 . 10/24/2006
Okay...damn. Woo this Is why I love Wolfsbane so much because she is so damn emotional about everything. Well I read this and Im under eighteen and yet I have a full understanding of this. Jeez Rahne really needs to get a lover or a love or something, I think I may bring dougie back in a fanfic eventually just so Rahne can love him.

When I read were it said she couldnt have children I went like this. 'Oh come on how else can you screw my favorite character over.' But when she regrew everything it was all good.

Now the ending was slightly confusing and I had to read it more than once to fully understand the deep message within it but I got it now and its there. This story is great and despite the fact that wolfsbane basically gets her hiney handed to her she still pulled through pretty much okay.

Overall this is a great story.
Necrovore chapter 17 . 10/12/2006
Stick with me, this could be a long review :)

I remember researching the concentration camps and the experiments they preformed on the prisoners for some class I was taking in school, how some advances in medicine were discovered, but that it was decided to ignore the knowledge because of its source. I admit it never really made sense to me at the time, why not use what was learned to save lives, and if it seemed like that would prove the doctors in the right, then at least use the knowledge gained on those who were harmed because of it, as a sort of lasting insult to the doctors for preforming the experiments. Your story makes that even more difficult of course by not giving a clear us vs. them. since it was the actions of mostly one person and not a larger group. Of course, looking back in history, it seems that the decision to destroy the data gained in the camps in WW2 might be the only instance where damning the data because of the means has occured. Off hand I remeber that some of humanities greatest medical advancements came about from similar frowned upon methods. For example, much of our knowledge of anatomy exists only because a number of people decided to go against god and the law and dug up human corpses to disect and find out just what everything does. Before that mankind had little idea about what organs humans had and what they did, of course the people who commited these crimes were imprisoned and their work condemend but it was still used to advance our understanding of anatomy and to eventually help save many lives. The question of whether or not to use knowledge gained by such means may never be definitivly answered as there are so many examples for both sides of the decision.

And I think this qualifies as my longest review ever. :-D
mattb3671 chapter 11 . 5/4/2005
this is terrific so far, great storyline. THANKS!
Mr Sinister chapter 4 . 5/21/2003
Finally got round to reviewing this... and all I have to say is: poor Rahne :(

Good stuff so far.
Buckster chapter 17 . 10/6/2002
All I can think is WOW. That was very thought provoking and honest piece of writing.
Marie chapter 9 . 5/11/2002
sweet story, very creative, good stir-up of controversy, never dull, good job!
Acetoorion chapter 9 . 4/27/2002
intriguing ending. I still hold that the data should ahve been used, but I'm a scientist, so tend to look at thigns frm that point of view. I'm not sayign that I am uncaring, just that, by detroying knowledge you are ultimatly condemning the lives of thousands more individuals, who could die painfully, needlessly. It was a great story and you're a good writer, I look forward to reading more of your provocative work!
Acetoorion chapter 8 . 4/22/2002
Good chapter, personally I think they should ahve used the formula, like tehy said, teh dead are going to stay sort of thing will only happen again if we let it happen. I think it's very easy to say that the formula shouldn't be used, but what if it was the only way tto save a loved one, I'd use it. For example, if it had been Scott lying on the table, I think Jean would have used the formula. Dani said herself that she would still have used the formula, to help Rhane, it's very easy to condemn something like that if there is no one you love's life at stake.

All in all a good ending, although I still think the formula should have been used.
hellion666 chapter 7 . 4/17/2002
The cliche evil doctor willing to sacrifice his life and soul to further the cause of medical science is a very difficult thing for a rational society to deal with; assuming you don't stop him then there's nothing you can do to effectively punish him without hurting the innocent even more, and for no reason. But even if he did exist and had the ability to achieve anything worthwhile enough to present a conflict of interest, as the story shows he'd still need an extensive support staff to get any significant evil research done. Are all of them going to display the same unbounded selflessness? No. Even though the doctor is beyond punishment, his staff won't be and if they expect to go to jail you have an effective deterrent. There's no such thing as a conspiracy of one.

True, but there also exists a possiblity that some less than honorable government decides something like this might be a good idea because of what benefits came out of it the first time. China does sell the organs of political prisoners, does it not?

"The most disturbing thing, though, is that the best reason the good guys (and author) could come up with against using the data was that the bad guys would then be 'vindicated', that people might feel that the suffering of their victims was less important, and that it might one day lead to stupid people thinking that perhaps human experimentation is a good idea. Leave aside all the people who are suffering just as much as the doctor's victims and dying even as they argue about it, _perceptions_ of the cure are so much more important than little things like facts."

As the saying goes, I have not yet begone to fight! So far, we have only really seen Rahne's reaction. Seeing as how she was raped, molested and tortured within an inch of her life, she has a right to be just a little emotional about it, don't you think?

"Or as one Jason Medwid once put it, "Your rights end where my _feelings_ begin!"

Thanks for the quote, but that's not the best one to use in this instance.
Guest chapter 7 . 4/17/2002
My thought when reading much of this story was an incredulous "people actually think like that?" While there is a danger of conflict of interest should you maintain a policy that allows you to profit from the crimes of others - in that it might make you less vigilant in preventing those crimes - the 'interest' in question is in most cases an altruistic one. Society can't punish someone by preventing him from helping others, it's akin to shooting yourself in the foot.