Reviews for Normal Boy
Fireglass chapter 1 . 3/29/2011
There are no words for this story right here. I had tears in my eyes at the end. Oh my God-you write the John/Sam dynamic to perfection. And poor Dean caught in the middle-HOW DO YOU WRITE LIKE THIS? Are you secretly a writer for the show? :P Ugh, I cannot get ENOUGH of your stories! Still reading down the list! But this one is far and away my favorite! Kudos!
arodhwen chapter 1 . 3/7/2011
Awww. That was so sweet that I need to brush my teeth to ward off the cavities :D
TaraHalliwell chapter 1 . 2/6/2011
This story is awesome!
Dassy1407 chapter 1 . 4/10/2010
I love this! Great job! :D

Miss Dassy
rockyshadow chapter 1 . 3/18/2010
Oh, that was so sad. It's so hard to read about the boys being so miserable. I love how you wrote their thoughts. Their childhood was far from normal and it's horrible that they had to go through that. Sam's thoughts when he found the trophy in the storage locker probably hit me harder, because by that point he was finally able to understand his dad.
Visionairy chapter 1 . 3/15/2010
This was poignant. My favorite part was Dean's perception, "I stood silent, with not much else to say, watching my brother's pain - feeling my own. I could lie to Sam, but I couldn't lie to myself. Sure I thought that. I'd lived it. I missed the man I knew as a kid. The dad he was before mom was killed. Before Sam was born. The hugs. The storybooks. Walking hand in hand. Playing ball. Cradled in his arms when I had a bad dream. Sam never knew that man. John Winchester wasn't that father anymore. I understood Sam's pain, his want. But I couldn't let him bind into it. Dad wasn't there for the kid in the 'normal' way Sam needed him to be, but I was here, and I could try to give my brother a little bit of normal.

Though John is a rather extreme case, I like the way you present how much a parent's priorities and decisions can effect a child. And Dean's oh so tried and true way of trying to pacify Sam, ""Ice cream's normal," I spoke up. "What do you say, short stuff?"

And, of coure, Sam would originally refuse. Very well written, thanks so much for posting!
TraSan chapter 1 . 3/15/2010
I really like that you created a backstory for the trophy! Very believable that while John kept the trophy, he missed the game - and yet, that Dean didn't.

And being the big brother rather than the dad, Dean tries his level best to be a one-man rooting section for Sam. Dean's not perfect, and I liked how while he tried to fill that role when left with a sad!Sammy he tries to empathize at first and then falls back into the big brother 'let me tell you how it is' role. Let me tell ya, no matter how old your younger siblings get, that's a hard role to stay out of! LOL.

Nicely done, K!
ziggy.uk chapter 1 . 3/15/2010
A great story Karen. Had to google cleats as over here they are just called football boots as they have studs on the bottom! Nice to see Sammy playing out national sport and scoring the winning goal to boot! Trust Dean to be shouting out encouragement but using he wrong terminology but at least he was there to watch his little brother, rather than off hunting like their father.

Could so imagine Sam's disappointment at John not being there, celebrating their win, especially with all the other kids parents cheering them on and not surprised he went off to be on his own, upset. Perfect Dean going to find Sam and cheering him up.

A stroke of genius the end of the chapter adding the scene from BDABR, them finding Sam's soccer trophy in their dad's lockup, proving years after he had been proud of his youngest, they'd both misunderstood each other. Perfect final sentences - I choked back a sob. Dad trained us hard. Taught us that losing and giving up were never an option

I could hold on to that as I tried to hold onto Dean.

Another awesome read Karen, thanks.
carocali chapter 1 . 3/12/2010
I love that you created a backstory for that quick moment; even though John blew off Sam's soccer game, he still kept the momentum of the match. Very cool.

On a side note, do you realize you've written 130 stories! Wow, you are a machine! I just noticed the number as I was doing the review. You SO rock! Please keep going, you make my day!

:D

Caroline
Wallflowergirl chapter 1 . 3/12/2010
Aw. They lost out on so much, didn't they? Poor Sam, just wanting a taste of normality, and Dean trying so hard to give it to him where he could...
supernaturalsammy67 chapter 1 . 3/11/2010
OMH! KAREN!

this was freakin ace!

aw such a powerful thwack and insight to Sam and his normal wants! NAAWW! :) and omg...so heart tearing! :)

bless him- loved the ending too! that snap back to the here and now, another loved one lost but he found out he loved him! aw

so good!

brilliant wording and excellent fic

my god...you ARE just bursting with talent xx
UpstairsMind chapter 1 . 3/11/2010
Absolutely loved it. 3 Fantastic, brava!
Phx chapter 1 . 3/10/2010
You know I feel for Dean, put in the position he was put in between his father and brother - basically covering for the man and justifying things to Sam (who really... what was his crime? Wanting his father to be proud of him for who he was?) But my heart also aches for Sam to be told that basically what he wants and dreams of does not matter. And constantly being told to suck it up by both Dean and his father. It really is a wonder that the kid turned out with such a sweet nature. Well, pre season four...

Grr... John. Sometimes your sons should have come first when it wasn't life or death.

*sniff sniff*
LaylaBinx chapter 1 . 3/10/2010
Aww this was soo good! I loved the end; I completely forgot about that scene until you mentioned it and it fit perfectly! Great job sweetie, this was awesome! :D
buggyswifter chapter 1 . 3/10/2010
Karen - you are going to get me into so much trouble! I can't resist your email alert when there is a new story! Today I am in the midst of divorce mediation chaos and kept trying to sneak a peak at the story. When I was finally able to take a break I read and re-read from beginning to end it was like a balm to my soul. I really treasure these little gems from you! Beware - venting ahead...I spent my entire morning dealing not only with my frazzled attorney boss but also our stressed client, her soon to be ex-husband (he wins the psycho award for the day - the guy is certifiable) and his weird attorney who was sporting a lovely toupee that made him look like Alfalfa from The Little Rascals. Angry people waste their time and money on the stupidest stuff. I kid you not - they actually were arguing over who gets the Burl Ives Christmas CD and the Coyote Ugly DVD. Okay, Burl Ives might be worth it, but Coyote Ugly? Give me a greak. I was about ready to go out and buy the damn DVD in the $5 bin at Wal-Mart and give it to them. But no, they would rather spend $200 per hour for their attorneys to argue such things. Sad, very sad. So you can see why I need distraction. You probably saved a life today without even knowing it! I was certainly losing my patience and I'm just the damn assistant! Your distraction gave me peace. Thank you.

This was just a wonderful story. I liked the separate points of view and how their relationship comes through so solid without being bitchy or sappy. Heartfelt without the angst overkill. Dean's rock solid support of his brother, while still believing in his dad - perfect. Sam's adolescent disappointment in his dad, while still believing in his brother - more perfect. You rock girl!

Be well my friend!