Reviews for What I've Done
MADStar529 chapter 1 . 10/25/2013
Great story. Love the insights to the Pataki's.
Myriamj chapter 1 . 6/2/2012
Good history, and good job writting about Helga and Bob. Thanks.
pokingbuddy10 chapter 1 . 8/15/2011
"Thankfully, talking to Bob was a lot like talking to Helga," - I thought that was a great line.

What I liked most about this is the way you showed that Helga's relationship with her parents transpired through a series of really subtle events. It wasn't intentional; one thing led to another, and before you realize it, it's tense and complicated. I've seen a couple of these where Bob is a lot more volatile and angry, more of a bad guy. But I liked how you picked at how Bob seems to know things aren't great, but he just doesn't know how to fix it. I mean, it is a kids' show, so you wouldn't expect to see anything really really awful. And in the show, you do see him acknowledging their less-than-stellar relationship though.

I think pairing this with Helga's wedding, having Helga let Bob walk her down the aisle and give her away - it's like the epitome of all Dad tasks. It wraps things up perfectly. If Helga really wanted to mend things, this is a big step and a grand gesture to show how much she really sincerely means it.
HAFanForever chapter 1 . 4/23/2011
Wow, this is all so good in explaining the neglect and ignorance Helga's family expressed towards her, but especially Bob. It seems like he tried to be a good father to Helga when she was a baby, but the fact that Miriam was often too out of it to help frustrated him, and Olga wasn't much better. Heck, I can see her saying "No thanks, daddy" to him with her cheery disposition.

Like you put, he probably began to enjoy spending time with Helga, even though he was pretty much doing it all himself. It makes a lot of sense to me that Miriam would experience depression with Helga after giving birth to her, and when it's over, she'd feel so guilty about not having spent time with her. And I think it's because Olga's so perfect it's why Miriam wouldn't have experienced depression with her. Heh, Olga was a perfect child since before she was born.

Ooooh, vodka is exactly what I think Miriam drinks, since it's clear and colorless and looks like water!

Hmm, yes, she was probably enrolled in preschool early enough because he couldn't take so much time to look after her, and I wondered what it would have been like if they noticed Helga at all after her first day there and how she got home.

Yeah, she is pretty quiet and out of the way a lot, which is probably a help in how he hardly acknowledges her existence.

I really wish The Patakis had been made so we could have seen how the family members interacted with each other, what with Miriam attending AA meetings, Bob acting like Tony Soprano (and I think his empire would have expanded) and Olga getting into acting.

With all that you're saying here, it seems that Helga's relationship with her father would be strained the most. I think Miriam isn't as bad as Bob is when it comes to the neglect, and Olga doesn't neglect her in that sense. By nature, Helga could get a little closer to her mother and sister as she got older, but it seems that relationships between fathers and daughters are different. Helga has definitely picked her aggressive and loud personality from him, though I don't think she wants to be like him.

I like how you made it a whole part of Bob telling the story to Arnold (and yeah, he'd forget his name! XD) At least he has the guts to admit how bad he's been, and that Arnold's parents have been better despite their long absence.

And if Arnold can talk with Helga and reason with her, he can do it with Bob, since they are alike in that way. And yeah, I think she'd have too much pride to ask her parents herself to come to her wedding.

When I first finished this, I figured it was leading to them being invited to Arnold and Helga's wedding. And yay, I'm happy you made Phoebe the maid of honor, because she so deserves that role! And good way to end it, with Bob and Helga talking to each other, and she finally calls him "Dad" and tells him to walk her down the aisle.

Great job! You have nailed the characters in this story very well. Like you, I also think that Helga would make amends with her family as she grows up because of Arnold softening her up and encouraging her to do so. It's not like things have to be 100% better between her and her family, but enough so she can be on better terms with them, and I know Arnold would say she would never be at her happiest if things between her and her family weren't better. And they should definitely be there when Arnold and Helga tie the knot. :)

Nice work again! I love this!
Pip-2250 chapter 1 . 1/30/2011
I see from your author's note that you thought about making this into a full-length story, but I think it's perfect as a one shot. It breaks my heart that Helga had such neglectful parents, but I think it's even sadder that Bob saw that he was losing Helga very early on and still did nothing about it. I'm glad that she was willing to try and give them a chance to make up for the past, she's a much better person for it.

Very nice job on this.
Twilight Phantom Dragon chapter 1 . 3/13/2010
Beautiful. It was a good background story and I liked that Helga wanted to make things better with her parents at the end. The emotion in the story was poignant. Great job.
loonytunecrazy chapter 1 . 3/12/2010
Very emtioonal and touching fic here and intresting show Bob point of view
CarlinJ83 chapter 1 . 3/11/2010
it was good; i do i hope you'll continue, just take your time.
Readrbug21 chapter 1 . 3/11/2010
Very, very nice background story. I really enjoyed reading this! It was very emotionally charged, especially the end (or at least it was to me, anyway. lol). And great job on the characterization! Arnold seemed very much like himself, and I like that you didn't make Big Bob an ogre, as most people tend to do. He also wasn't overly mushy-gushy, either... he was just himself, only a little older and wiser.

I really liked the flashback story. All your descriptions were wonderful. And that last line? Possibly one of the best I've ever read (and I've read quite a few, believe me). There was so much said in that one little sentence.

Great, great job!

-Rb21
BunniGirl chapter 1 . 3/11/2010
This was really well-written and in-character! Thanks for posting. The regret from Big Bob was rather poignant.
acosta perez jose ramiro chapter 1 . 3/11/2010
Very good analysis on the 'why's and 'how's of Helga's neglectful family.

Quite good ending.

Keep the good writing.
Miles Kaufman chapter 1 . 3/10/2010
This is wonderful. From the flashback of Bob taking care of her as a baby, Helga staring at him disappointingly after her first day of preschool (it tugged at my heart, that one) all the way through until she calls him "dad" at her wedding. It also made sense that in the long run Arnold would play a sort of pacifying role between her and her parents. The dynamic of her family often doesn't seem to offer much more than yelling and chaos and petty plot complications, but you saw more than that, and a fine job you did at writing a memorable piece.
The Awesome Person chapter 1 . 3/10/2010
Incredibly touching.

Sweet and straight to the point. Loved it when he finally confronted Helga. The subtle way of showing they both cared for each other and just /knew/.

Simply touching - keep up the good writing!
J'aime ma vie chapter 1 . 3/10/2010
Not only do I love your idea, but I LOVE this story! There are very few fics about Bob on the site; your introspection on him is fantastic and gives him so much depth as a character. I really liked how you showed Bob and Helga's relationship disintegrating over the years and what lead to that happening. The little details, such as Arnold moving away, Bob leaving behind beepers and converting to cell phone sales, Miriam's AA Meetings, basically, your references to "The Patakis" really added a lot to this oneshot. I also liked how you added in Helga's colic and Miriam's depression, and how it explained Miriam's excessive drinking, and the strained relationship she and Bob have with their youngest daughter.

The fact that Bob saw Olga as an escape from his troubles is also a great character exploration. It shows that Bob saw Olga as an escape from his troubles, and the hope he had that even if he messed up with Helga, that at least he did something right in being a parent. It's a great add-in that at some point in Helga's life, he tries to redeem himself and actually be a good parent to her. In some ways, the dinners alone and the wrestling matches on T.V. are small ways of Bob and Helga bonding, and the two of them wanting to break the ice, but not having the courage to do so.

The ending was great too, because it shows that it will take a long time to repair Bob and Helga's relationship. I liked how everything wasn't perfect at the end, but how it shows that Bob and Helga are beginning the long journey of reconciliation and repair. I liked that you emphasized that it will take time, but that at the same time, it's beginning. Arnold was great in this, too. I liked that he was willing to listen to Bob's sad tale and that he was man enough not to point out how offensive Bob's comment about his parents was. It seems that Arnold knows all too well that it will actually take some time for Bob to "grow up" and that it'll take a while for him to repair his relationship with his daughter.

Lastly, thank you so much for the "Special Thanks". I saw that and did a happy dance. :) It was really flattering. Truly. So, wonderful story! I loved it, and the depth you've given to Big Bob. I can't wait to read more of your "Hey Arnold!" stories and to hopefully have more conversations with you on the forum! :)