Reviews for The Counsels of Men
Rachelle Lo chapter 1 . 1/17
Gorgeous. Subtle emotion and beautiful dialogue. Well done.
caligo-lux chapter 1 . 8/24/2013
...Oh my god...right in the feels...my poor heart TT

this story was really well done, gosh i love it.
It certainly has the lord of the rings feeling to it. Really,really well done
Petrichora chapter 1 . 7/14/2013
I'm glad you wrote this, as it now makes much more sense as to why Legolas and Gimli weren't there. I particularly enjoyed Legolas' reasoning regarding the peredhil.

In other news, I have now read all of your one-shots/completed shorter stories. :) In case you or anyone else who likes to skim the reviews was wondering because they are among those who "care for such things" (and possess, as you've called it, an almost "elven need" to see things organized), the chronological order is roughly as follows (as best as I can determine from dates/descriptions/other hints from within the each story):

A Mirkwood Solstice
Seas of Fate
Seaworthy
Of Rowan and Ruin
Beyond This World

There are a few that span multiple years and could thus be argued to belong elsewhere, but I took continuity into consideration as well, and I think ordering them this way gives the best "flow". Also, although I've only peeked at the beginning author's notes for each one in order to get the dates, I believe the correct "order" for the remaining longer stories is:

Fear No Darkness
Land of Light and Shadows
New Year's Eve
shine lots chapter 1 . 1/22/2012
Aw, poor Aragorn. I understand that Gimli and Legolas are trying to protect his feelings, but the news itself will hurt him. I like how you wrote this.
Rhys chapter 1 . 5/4/2010
That was beautiful and tragic and bitter. Absolutely incredible. You really are a genius, you know that? Your descriptions-not just the visual, but their inner thoughts as well-are so exquisitely melancholy. You even manage to make jokes (Elladan Elrohir one elf. Elladan Elrohir / one dwarf. Awesome!) and not break the mood you wove over the Pelennor. I can't even express how impressed I am, and how moved.

And here I thought they just wanted to wriggle their way out of a boring meeting! Teach me to assume, won't it? ;)

...of course, now I want to see poor, unsuspecting Imrahil's encounter with his first addled Wood Elf and his dwarf-touched logic. But that's just because I basically just want to see you write everything ever, because it's always so amazing. Like your ending lines: pure poetry!
abunnymom chapter 1 . 4/20/2010
You have such a way of turning attention toward and expounding upon ideas that aren't thoroughly explored by Tolkein. I love his writings, and he does address this to some extent, but this particular story captures the melancholy of Aragorn's situation so clearly and concisely. And you present an incredibly good, logical reason why Legolas and Gimli did not attend. I enjoy reading your stories (sorry I didn't post reviews on them all) and find they fill gaps - some of which I didn't consciously realize were there until I read what you've written. And the fact your grammar, spelling, and diction are precise - the care you clearly take in polishing your work is greatly appreciated. Thanks for sharing! You really are very talented.
Mia-philosephet chapter 1 . 3/13/2010
It's so good to get another story from you! This one has a much more sombre tone than most of your others. It is sad to to have to face the inevitable. Alas that beauty and glory must fade and friendships succumb to all consuming time! Yet, with the realization of the transient nature of life comes a deeper appreciation for all it holds. Thank you for another thought provoking glimpse into the lives of the characters we love so much. _

Mia

PS- I would still love to hear the ending of a Land of Light and Shadows! I think it's my absolute favorite story. _
Virtuella chapter 1 . 3/13/2010
I liked this very much. The opening paragraph is so exquisitely crafted and hauntingly beautiful. From that we move on to the sight (and smell) of the battle-field, more realistic, more shocking than Tolkien ever showed us. Aragorn's musings about Halbarad's death at just this particular time were a very good point. And Gimli and Legolas's argument about their fading people rang very true. The closing sentence leaves the reader with a melancholy feeling. Very well done indeed.
Elfinabottle chapter 1 . 3/12/2010
This was such a sad tale. I can't even call it bittersweet because there was no sweet to soften the bitterness of the world changing.

It's very well written, though, and entirely believable as s reason for the elf and dwarf not to be at the council. Tolkien himself was not a "happily ever after" kind of writer, but that is the kind of reader I like to be. I still thought it was a good story.
Jedi Sapphire chapter 1 . 3/12/2010
This was wonderful... Very beautiful, although it was sad. I love the way you write Legolas and Gimli, they have such a Tolkien-ish feel to them.

And I love your reasoning, although it's difficult to imagine Tolkien's ME without Elves or Dwarves in it.
Laurenke1 chapter 1 . 3/12/2010
Wow that was brilliant. It is good that Aragorn knows that not all people are here to stay. His future may just be beginning but there are many races who are disapearing.

I wonder what Elladan and Elrohir will say when they learn that they count as a full elf when they are combined. :P
Templa Otmena chapter 1 . 3/12/2010
I have not the time to leave a review that would do this piece justice but my mind is particularly addled at the moment and with it my memory.

So- wonderful, wonderful. I just watched RotK recently for the first time in a couple of years and I felt the loss of missing scenes from this particular moment quite keenly. I wanted more between Aragorn, Legolas and Gimli. I wanted more Eowyn and Faramir and hobbit action.

This was so well done. Character voices as ever ring so true and you put the Fourth Age into such stark and heartbreaking context from the point of view of those who fought hardest for it and perhaps reaped least from it.

Thank-you for sharing! x
Oleanne chapter 1 . 3/12/2010
Awesome gap filler. I have to admit, at first like Aragorn, I was clueless as to why they would not want to be part of the war council, especially since they lent their lives to this struggle and Legolas had more experience than most of the men at fighting this enemy. Gimli and Legolas' reluctance slowly filtered out with surprisingly sound reasoning. I like how you portrayed Aragorn's surprise and confusion. Great tale!
daisymall13 chapter 1 . 3/11/2010
I like this!
Lamiel chapter 1 . 3/11/2010
How lovely to have a new story from you! This seems as likely an explanation as any for my beloved dynamic duo's absence from what was probably the second-most important council of the Third Age. And of course you bring your own unique insight to it, and as ever you capture the voices of Tolkien's characters as no one else can. Bravo!