Reviews for Still Waters
30WaysToKillAPineapple chapter 1 . 1/26/2013
Wonderful. Especially liked the Yorkshire accent bit. My accent goes a bit wonky when I'm angry, too.
Hades'Queen chapter 1 . 1/30/2011
This is so lovely and well written it makes me want to cry. I wish there were more of it.
excessivelyperky chapter 1 . 11/21/2010
Oh, my. This is very good indeed. I do hope that Will had a nice, quiet talk (that later became less than quiet) with Minerva, and that all became well.
tetleybag chapter 1 . 8/30/2010
Re-reading this today for the n-th time and still loving it every bit as much as in the first round.

The beginning already is a winner, with the terse style of the diary, followed by the first glance at Wilhelmina facing facts (which the convalescent owl might have recognised had he been awake), Will's thoughts on keeping diaries, and that dratted imp of honesty.

Agony Auntie Amelia who doesn't listen to soup spoons is a winner, as is Will's style of dealing with her. I love this Minerva, especially how you present her to us first from Amelia's POV, and then from Will's, showing us two interpretations of her that are different yet both perfectly in harmony and make your Minerva once again a beautifully round character.

The little references to other interpersonal dynamics (Wilhelmina-Augusta, Wilhelmina-Neville) are a delight ... and I could simply lose myself in the backstory, the backstory-of-the-backstory and the hopefully-to-be-frontstory of that wonderful old-lady couple you've painted.

I am as head-over-sensibly-birkenstocked-heels with this story as on the first day.
Swallow B chapter 1 . 8/23/2010
Well, of course, I really loved this. There are too many good lines in there to quote them all. The humorous tone was a good touch - it might have been too heavy otherwise. The story was well-built. We are intrigued as soon as Willa says 'It's a professional request, nothing more.'and we get more and more curious.

Your Minerva, so in character and everybody, really. I am amazed at how you have given life to these minor characters. They aren't minor to me any more !
Vera Rozalsky chapter 1 . 7/19/2010
What I love in this story:

* the framing with the unicorn foal and Will's careful charting of its progress. Even in the magical world, documentation is of the utmost... and it establishes immediately the no-nonsense persona and the resistance to introspection.

* the friendship between Amelia and Will. The romance is lovely, particularly as a wartime encounter of two women who are essentially widows, but the friendship of many many years is transcendent. One wishes for friends like this, who will frankly speak the truth (or ask the right questions) when most needed. And I chuckled at the picture of them _not_ sleeping together because they'd mix up the monocles on the nightstand...

* ... and falling "head-over-sensibly-booted-heels" in love. Even sensible footwear will not help you on the slippery slopes where desire sends its lightning bolts.

* oh, and all of the little details that convince me it's a real world: the clothes, the food, the furniture. I'm happy here even though heartbreak is in foreground and background both, and war is impending; it's a world well loved by its inhabitants.

Superlative work, once again.
beebee chapter 1 . 5/30/2010

simple.

beautiful.
McGonagall'swoman chapter 1 . 5/6/2010
I've just re-read this (again) and felt compelled to post! This is one of the most beautiful fics on this site. The writing is honest and gentle, and the characters believable. The tone manages to be wistful and melancholic without destroying all hope. You have some real talent.
Chemistress chapter 1 . 3/17/2010
Reading it the third time, there is no need for me anymore to hold my breath and rush towards the end in an effort to find out, what went wrong with Will and Minerva...so I could really appreciate your Amelia /gg/...there are so many great describtions that made me smile (at least /gg/)

/...every time a romance had wrecked on the rocks of Amelia's Ministry ambitions.../

/Amelia Susan Bones hadn't got to be Head of the Department of Magical Law Enforcement by sitting still and being quiet.../

/She grinned at Amelia's offended expression. "Question asked - Will I take the job? Question answered - Haven't decided. Leave it there. Please."/ *LOL*, yes, that's the way to handle some people...

/But Minerva was too hide-bound; she had a hard time seeing other points of view. (And no, Amelia told herself, she was not saying thisjust because the points of view Minerva couldn't see tended to be the ones Amelia held.)/*LOL* again, wonderfully put, and true, too (*sorry, Minerva*)

The whole Diagon Alley-memory is so perfect! (Only I am not sure about Neville, if he still was with his toad that year...had he not "graduated" to the Mimbulus-plant...?). Augusta is so clearly visible, and then the pub-scene, which broke my heart.../Until Minerva stopped in mid-mundanity, touched Will's arm, and whispered, "Will, I'm so. . .I'm really sorry, you do know that, don't you?"/

And this made me smile again: /Ministry politics had long ago taught Amelia that often the best way to get someone to do what you wanted them to do was simply to act if there was no question that they would./ what a clever observation!

/Beneath their differences, the bluff, hearty animal healer and the proper, private schoolteacher had matched each other in stubbornness and loyalty and passion; they'd argued and laughed and most of all, had loved so deeply and so well that Will had believed they would never part. Could never part.

"Well, and that was foolish of you, old girl, wasn't it?" she said aloud, rubbing the unicorn's velvety ears. He sighed, and Will sighed with him./ And every reader will sigh also, with every reading...

/Numb with shock, Will had first tried joking, then reasoning, and then she'd simply started yelling, her voice thick with a Yorkshire childhood that surfaced only in moments of extremity, "Don't tha dare think this gallant! 'Tis nobbut damned pig-arsed selfishness!"

In the end, she had begged, but it hadn't helped, as she'd known it wouldn't. There was only one thing more immovable than a Gryffindor in a fit of noble sacrifice, and that was when the Gryffindor in question was Minerva McGonagall./ ...probably my favourite lines...I can see the scene so clearly...

And the whole setting, sharing the night with the unicorn... it fits so well... just pushes her along on the memory line...
Amanda Pearson chapter 1 . 3/15/2010
Kelly, that was wonderful, as usual. I love that you've fleshed out characters, who, in the book, play minor roles. You make me feel like they've been part of the story all along. Well done. :-)
aptasi chapter 1 . 3/15/2010
You have such a knack for developing minor characters and creating original ones. You're so thorough and sensitive to the nuances here that your characters feel very real.
moira of the mountain chapter 1 . 3/14/2010
Bollocks," snorted the little imp of honesty that lived in her head.

Wilhelmina often hated her little imp of honesty.

Those two lines are priceless! I love the balance in this story - the fierce and caring friendship of Amelia, Wil's toughness tempered by her vast capacity for tenderness, and of course Minerva is as complex as you always render her - but so maddening in that hard-nosed belief that she knows what's best. I'm delighted that Wil has the strength to fight for what she believes is best - for both her and Min.

One of the things I think I appreciate most about your works is your ability to lead the reader through experiences they might not be completely comfortable with - to shed some desperately needed light on distorted perceptions of what is, and is not, proper and legitimate love. Never heavy-handed, but firm in conviction and honesty. Brava, as always !