Reviews for The Reluctant Hokage
bladz-liska chapter 8 . 9/26/2010
Saludos!

My, my…I was looking for something to read, I found myself curious about your summary and well, I really like this story. At the beginning (I admit) I hesitate a bit imagining what kind of plot was this, but I found a great style and an interesting way to portray characters.

I like this Itachi, and the way you used each characteristic he has to ‘perform’ the Hokage role; also, every reaction people around had and their own doubts/likes/dislikes with this ‘sudden’ decision. The Uchiha conflict with it is very remarkable and creates more tension around… they’re not the only ones doubting about the young man.

Since you’re not giving the ‘emotional fact’ a protagonist role I’m more than thankful, this helps a lot to obtain perspective and create this interesting fic (or group of ficlets).

Shisui, Kakashi, Hiruzen, Tsunade, Mikoto… Ino? (this won’t turn a cute romance thing, right?) few characters in short chapters that have been enough to create a round plot that gets me pretty interested.

Shisui (alive) being a kind of guidance (a very awkward one) for Itachi’s solemn self, Kakashi being ‘surpassed’ by Itachi (god! I liked that ‘rivalry’), Hiruzen… well, Hiruzen has been just the ‘key factor’ for this story, Tsunade representing a potential opposite force, the role you give Mikoto in this last chapter was completely out of the ordinary (slight used to a nice-kind-almost invisible role) and, Ino, well… I don’t know what are you planning with her, but she has ‘potential’ to become a good character to read about.

I know the ‘correct’ is to leave a review for each chapter, but I’ll limit myself to this review since I don’t have enough time to do it with the attention I would like to. But I’ll be around to write reviews for next chapters.

See ya!
jaeriaxabielle chapter 8 . 9/26/2010
a powerful piece about mikoto as a wife, a mother, and finally, a kunoichi of the Uchiha clan.
phoebe turner chapter 8 . 9/26/2010
wonderful fic!
Mineral-Soul-Bottle chapter 8 . 9/26/2010
Whoa!

Suddenly things look pretty grim for Itachi...

Or do they?
volrath77 chapter 8 . 9/25/2010
...And so the the seeds of destruction were sown and in time, they will be ready to be reaped.
Mabra46268 chapter 8 . 9/25/2010
Mikoto as the real leader of the Uchiha clan is something that never occurred to me. That being said, there is nothing in canon that contradicts it because Mikoto was a minor background character.

This chapter made the Ino chapter make sense. The traditional role of a kunoichi is something Kishimoto barely touches on.

I read your author’s notes and I have to agree Kishimoto does not write female characters well. This is really unfortunate since quite a few of his female characters have a lot of potential. I also really like the contrast between Tsunade and Mikoto.

I have to wonder if Itachi would even see his mother coming. He is certainly smart enough to see it coming, but he may well have a blind spot concerning his mother.

So part of Mikoto’s plan is to use Sasuke against Itachi. I am not sure how well that would work. I always thought Itachi was the more talented of the pair, but Sasuke was more driven. I can’t believe in this story Sasuke would have the same drive. Actually, I have no idea what Sasuke without the loss of his clan would be like.

Looking forward to more.
Piper Julian chapter 8 . 9/25/2010
Absolutely stunning! I really liked how Mikoto is the descendent of Madara as opposed to Fugaku. I just really liked how you focused on her trying to get her last moments with Itachi. Very well done.

Spelling/grammar was excellent too.
copycat-capycot chapter 8 . 9/25/2010
Mothers. You really don't want them against you. Anyway, great portrayal of Mikoto's conflicting thoughts about her son and her clan. Really wish that she wasn't so caught up in Uchiha politics, but that's to be expected.
Tellytubby101 chapter 8 . 9/25/2010
I simply adored this chapter - and also your very perceptive A/N. Naruto has many faults when it comes to women, and it is odd, that although this problem has been in circulation for many years, Kishimoto seems to continue with his brand of "male supreme" thinking in his manga.

I take your head-canon and make it mine, too. No, I'm not going to write a story about it or anything, but I'll probably consider the Uchiha a bit more sneaky, and I love the idea how Sasuke's mother is the real leader with the blood/heritage backing.

Kunoichi don't need recognition was an interesting way to explain why men are in the limelight; still, Kishi should give a few more independant main female roles in the canon plot.

I truly hope you never lose inspiration for this story, simply because it is so riveting!

Thank you very much for updating. I am envious of your prose.

From Tubby. :-)
bakapervert chapter 8 . 9/25/2010
Thanks for the update.
Dan chapter 8 . 9/25/2010
Interesting take on Mikoto. Hopefully everything will be done at least somewhat realistically. There's no doubting Itachi's resolve- its absolute. He's willing to do anything for what he believes in- evidenced by the Uchiha massacre. As Hokage this should be magnified. I can't forsee much success for Mikoto as Itachi is not only extraordinarily perceptive but he also has the will to destroy her before she hurts Konoha in any way.

Furthermore, the distrust of the Uchiha is long-standing, the Nidaime segregated them and used ANBU to monitor their compound. He passed on this distrust to students and also Danzo who he left to take command of the ANBU he created. Danzo and the Sandaime's teammates won't stop being suspicious of the Uchiha and monitoring them. Especially after Itachi's disowning of his name- they're sure to be making contingencies.

A lot of their plan was depending on the element of surprise and their pride caused them to underestimate the situation. If itachi had not agreed the deed would have been carried out in the dead of night by ROOT. The Uchiha are no match for Konoha's entire military, all clans and ANBU- the Sandaime alone could kill all of them. I hope we don't see some ridiculous, unrealistic Uchiha uprising taking over Konoha or something equally annoying.
Lucy Ash Hawthorne chapter 8 . 9/25/2010
awesome the links are driving me nuts through!
shadowquark chapter 8 . 9/25/2010
wow just wow. this was chapter was super impact. great work. worthy of the wait
mangacrack chapter 8 . 9/25/2010
Nice that someone finally voices the theory of Mikoto being Uchiha Madaras grand-daughter. Would make the Kushina-Mikoto friendship the most peaceful in the entire Uchiha-Senju history. But this chapter shows that Mikoto as much as entangled in the old feud as everyone.

Just there's one thing that she can't do: corrupting Sasuke into hating Itachi, but I doubt that will be possible. Making Itachi Hokage and Sasuke the new clan head is probably the only way to ensure the Uchihas loyalty to Konoha ... if they make it long enough it can envolve to a long term thing.

I doubt it that it was the Sandaimes direct intention, but since Itachi holds Sasuke's well being and Sasukes only loyalty belongs to Itachi, as we have seen in the canon, it's a balanced relationship between the Hokage and the Uchiha clan.

It's just another thing if you will make it work.

mangacrack