Reviews for Mail Call
VioletHawk chapter 1 . 1/5/2011
Very touching story...luckily he has the tapes to keep him company far, far away...and now he has the tapes since they are far, far away! :)
Visage chapter 1 . 7/25/2010
What a beautifully descriptive piece. Absolutely wonderful. I especially loved how Gibbs created his own reality just by listening (Kelly giggles in his ear, and he swears he can smell her shampoo).

A wonderful look into our favorite leader's past. Thank you so much for sharing this special piece!

Annie
honeydust9251 chapter 1 . 7/6/2010
Good story. Good writing. Keep it up.
jediyam chapter 1 . 3/20/2010
wow, so much in that short little story, i was hearing and feeling along with gibbs!
alix33 chapter 1 . 3/18/2010
"How's that little girl of yours?" Gibbs smiles. "Beautiful. Brilliant." Sanders barks a laugh. "Must take after her momma, then." "Thank God," Gibbs retorts, but he laughs too, despite his weariness." - Hehehe.
Hope06 chapter 1 . 3/18/2010
WOW that was so powerful I have tears in my eyes well done well done
USAFChief chapter 1 . 3/18/2010
For any of us who have ever spent any time overseas alone with only mail and cassette tapes to see us through the torturous days, this story really means a lot. You have it very, very close to absolute perfection. (I'd say perfect but my scientist son tells me there is no such thing outside a few perfect numbers.)

Thank you for posting this. It brought back some old memories for me.

pdf
SherryGabs chapter 1 . 3/18/2010
Very imaginative and well done. Makes me feel like I have to brush sand off me. So sweet and sad at the same time considering what they don't know will be coming up too soon.
dolphinsiren is me chapter 1 . 3/18/2010
Sweet... I really like the tender look in his eyes each time he remembers them...

Just one thing: his "old" casette player, in 1991 ( almost 20 years ago... )should be "new" ! ha ha...!
finlaure chapter 1 . 3/18/2010
Beautiful. Absolutely and completely wonderful.

I know you have absolutely no way of knowing this about me, but you just hit a very, very emotional cord. A GOOD one, but very emotional. When I was 3(and a half) to 4(and a half) my Daddy, had to leave my Mother and I behind in the states while he flew a dangerous year long tour in Vietnam, 1973-1974. We still have the cassette tapes of our talks and laughs we sent back and forth to each other. I missed my Daddy so much and just didn't understand why he couldn't be home for my birthday or why Mommy cried at night. The first time that I heard the recordings in the show, I bawled. I have tears now, but only because I know that Gibbs came home to nothing. Fortunately, my Dad came home safe and Mom and I are still loving him today.

Thank you for this wonderful piece. I think I will go visit my parents today and give Daddy an extra hug.
Ryley chapter 1 . 3/18/2010
That was sad and sweet. Excellent details. Very well written.
TaylorGibbs chapter 1 . 3/17/2010
What a beautiful story! I absolutely loved it! So sad knowing what is coming.
moms5thchild chapter 1 . 3/17/2010
Was this the tape that drove Hollis away? It sounds like it but I don't want to take the DVD out to check.

This is a nice slice of life piece and a terrible reminder of what was lost to all of us who know the show.

I have always wondered what happened between Hollis and Gibbs after she played that tape. It drove her to Hawaii, but why?

This is a very good piece of writing.

Mom
Arisprite chapter 1 . 3/17/2010
This had me in tears! It was soo cute, and uber fluffy, but there was an undercurrent of tension, because we know that they get killed because Shannon testifies. This very well could be the last tape he gets! So very very sad! Great job!

Ari
HeavenRose chapter 1 . 3/17/2010
Very touching story. Great writing.

I loved it :)