Reviews for everyone's a winner if the stadium is right
starry eyed dreamers chapter 1 . 2/10/2014
i love this so so so much i can't even... you did really good at characterizing Max and Alex and Justin, which makes it that much more impressive. :)
Guest chapter 1 . 9/28/2012
Your author's note cracks me up. Also for only having seen a few youtube vids and part of the movie, you nailed the characters. I always hoped Max would end up being the family wizards.
Inkfire chapter 1 . 3/4/2012
Well, I didn't even know anything about the show when I started reading this ;) and I still absolutely loved it! It was really well written, insightfully and prettily: I love the way you handled the relationship between the siblings, the magic, and the timeline. Alternating parts that happened after the competition and parts that happened before was clever and the global effect was really interesting. Max's reaction and the way he handled the whole thing seemed to be stressed all the more, with that contrast. You depicted very well the solidarity between the siblings as well, Justin's and Alex's complicity, which led Max to feel left out, and yet also the bond they had with their youngest brother. There was a strong feeling of unity coming through, and each of the siblings' character was insightfully depicted, they all seemed unique and engaging, even to someone who didn't know the show. And lastly, I love the way you described Max's relationship to magic. It was beautifully described, quite… well, magical… and the difference with Justin and Alex was quite clear. I like the way that in the end, it was what made the difference indeed – because Max needed the magic, and his brother and sister did not. The description of the competition was very well done, great way to finish the story. Loved this )
siriusly cool48 chapter 1 . 1/20/2012
Whoa, I love the whole reverse-chronology thing you've got going on. And I have to say, this is pretty impressive for someone who knows nothing about WoWP. Good job!
pinklatent chapter 1 . 6/1/2011
This was very touching and warm in every way. I love how you wrote how Max wants magic so bad and the way Justin and even Alex gave it up for him.
alphaladywolf chapter 1 . 4/16/2011
Max is in character, but why did they give up their magic? I guess Max does need it the most.
lynn chapter 1 . 4/3/2011
that's pretty brilliant.
Nur S'ba chapter 1 . 2/26/2011
This story makes me so happy. I've read a lot of them in this vein, with Alex and Justin ceding victory to their brother, and they have run the gamut from awful to awesome, but this one stands head and shoulders above the others if only because I can actually see this being how it could really happen.

Your characterization is spot-on too. I love the strength of understanding between Alex and Justin, how their agreement on the matter is reached via a blistering argument (of course it would be) and how Max is mostly-but-not-wholly resigned to the fact that, while they love him, of course they love him, he will always be a half-step out of sync with them. You've captured the dynamics of their relationship perfectly, and made it an organic part of the story. Lovely.

The characters are deliciously themselves, too. Alex is perfectly flippant while at the same time being oddly focused and driven, once she has decided what matters to her. Justin is steadier, purposeful, supportive; the quintessential big brother. Lastly, and perhaps most importantly, your Max voice is exquisite. The characteristic fog of confusion and his own pet interests overlay the persona of a reasonably, if belatedly, perceptive young man. Your portrayal of him is definitely one of the most balanced and believable I have encountered.

So. Much. Love.
AquaMarenia chapter 1 . 7/9/2010
I always wanted Max to win! Great story! :D
Nayuki-Bunny chapter 1 . 6/5/2010
yeah, it was a bit apparent that you didn't fully know the ins and outs of this show, but, regardless, this was absolutely lovely. you're perfectly excused for any OOCness though, as these siblings actually have an extremely complicated relationship with each other. saying so, really nice job. oh, and believe me when I say you're not the only one who picked up on the chemistry between Alex and Justin. there's a fandom.
GoldenRat chapter 1 . 4/29/2010
An interesting end to the Wizard Family Contest, I like Max' POV.
hopelessromantic549 chapter 1 . 3/29/2010
ah i love your writing. you captured the siblings' complicated relationship so perfectly.
anditgoeslike chapter 1 . 3/27/2010
This was a really sweet, well written piece. The characterization is pretty close to the show and very thorough. I really love your Max and just the whole plot. I followed you from LJ, I'm glad you're writing for this fandom!
xoxcrescentmoonxox chapter 1 . 3/23/2010
Oh man, trust you, of all authors, to write a fic for a Disney show that I really, really enjoyed reading. I've seen bits and pieces, enough to get an idea of Max, Justin, and Alex's characters ... and your version of them is incredible. The language you use that's a little teenyboppy adds to the effect of Max's voice. I loved the hint of him always being on the outside of Alex and Justin's really close relationship. As it's Disney, they'll probably find a way to get all the kids to keep their powers, but if ever a resolution made sense, this is it. Justin and Alex's reasoning for NOT wanting the powers were as solid as Max's reason - that he just enjoyed magic - for getting them.

This review is all over the place; sorry. Your writing is beautiful as always, and you've really crafted an incredible story. I staff for an community/forum called the Reviews Lounge, Too that archives exceptional and underreviewed stories, and this meets both criteria - I hope you don't mind if I put this in.

Thanks for the fabulous as ever story :-D

-Crescent
justafan chapter 1 . 3/20/2010
oh my goodness, I love it. I really do. I love sibling stories especially with these three and I love that Max won and just...everything was so woven together beautifully and the last sentence was just so beautiful and it brought a smile to my face. Awesome.