Reviews for Morality Chain
That was a great (and needed) conversation between Azula and Irish.
Schtroumpf grognon chapter 2 . 5/9
When I think of this fic, there are a few scenes that immediately come to mind: Azula's scream during Zuko's Agni Kai, Katara (and later, Toph) confronting Azula about the colonies, Azula catching lightening, Ty lee's sacrifice etc. But Azula's promise to her mother is probably my favorite. This scene is gorgeous, and kind of owns my entire heart. Azula's final question to Ursa, "If I do that, would I make you proud?", I don't think I can say how hauntingly beautiful and heartbreaking it feels to read it. And I love the lead up to it: Azula overhearing Ursa talking about her, her conversation with Zuko, her kata demonstration in front of fire lord Azulon etc. All bringing us to The Promise. And it's such a character defining moment for Azula in this story. What will ultimately sets her toward her own path, make her look beyond what Ozai has laid out for her. Like a hidden trail her mother left so she can walk away from her father's all-compressing influence and philosophy. This fic is called morality chain, but Ursa's parting words set Azula free.

So yeah. While rereading chapter one and the beginning of this one, I was thinking, 'yes, I remember why I liked this,' and then I read that farewell scene and my heart just split in two. Gorgeous work.
Chousha chapter 1 . 5/9
Rereading this story after so many years is such a treat. I saw the update and couldn't help myself, I went back all the way to chapter one, mostly because when I think of Azula, I think of this one. (And when I think of atla, I think of this fic as well. It's such a great, character driven story.)

Can I just say how much I love how you've imagined and written Azula as a child? She's so driven, by her pride as a firebender, her need to be the best at whatever area she needs to excel at, and her hidden desire to have what Zuko has with their mother. All of these feelings are so well portrayed and feels very in character. And I guess if we didn't have the show's ending that sort of thing might seem like sibling envy that'd typically go away as you gets older. But you've managed to write her character with beautiful subtlety - the signs of the envy that could grow into something more malicious/a rift that keeps them apart are there but they're not huge red flags to all the characters around them. (Except for Ursa, and even in chapter one she seems unnerved by Azula's similarities with a certain Fire Lord) as matter of fact, a sense of competition between the fire siblings is encouraged. And your version of Azula as a child where she is so intelligent she misses obvious things- like when she skillfully drove the Hawkhound away and was so caught up by her own assessment of the situation; that she was the superior firebender, and therefore was more than well equiped to defend herself, that it didn't even occure to her why her brother would want to protect her. It's so well done.

Her disdain-confusion-jealously-growing-affection she has for Zuko is just lovely to revisit in ur writing style. I can't wait to see the Growth. Thank you for writing this!

,..
iiv chapter 45 . 4/19
Hi! I am new here. Can someone tell me how often this fic gets updated? It is awesome. I read the whole thing in about 4 days.
Vanessa Masters chapter 45 . 4/13
Nice little bit.

Oh Iroh talks to Azula, and makes things just a little more clearer.

And gives her a choice, what will hold her back, if not herself?

Maybe she can do both, save ty Lee and be there for her new friends. Chains to hold her up.
Leviathan chapter 45 . 4/12
Always exciting when i see this story update! My favorite avatar story by far. I hope you finish it but even if you don't it's been an awesome ride
Bobert chapter 45 . 4/4
You updated! Always a great read!
Stalking Fan chapter 9 . 4/3
ah Metal Bending Bumi
Discar chapter 45 . 3/31
I found this fic over on A03 and assumed it was dead. Very VERY happy to see that you're still writing. This is one of my favorite interpretations of Azula, because she's still 99% evil but that 1% is sloowly dragging her to goodness. Most fanfics either sweep all the things she's done under the rug or just treat her as a 2-D Ozai clone.

How many more chapters do you think you're going to do? Are you going to stop at the end of AtLA, or continue into the comics? You already did a bit of that early by showing the colony, but seeing Azula meeting back up with her mother would definitely be interesting.

And I'm guessing you're going for an Azula/Ty Lee ending. Not complaining at all, though that one will also be interesting because of the Fire Nation's homophobia. Considering Azula has aggressively internalized all of the Fire Nation's worst habits, that could get dark.
reozor chapter 45 . 3/27
Glad to see you're back! There's always that worry that the author of a story you're following is sick or unable to continue writing especially during pandemic. So I'm really happy to see a notification for a chapter update and thought to leave a review.

This fic is my all time favorite especially since it's Azula-centric. You just fleshed out her character really well so for me this is now canon. I've always thought that the show could have gone for a redemption arc for Azula too or gone all Evil Genius Azula until the end like a final boss battle that you unlock. Imagine my disappointment when they went the Crazy Azula route just to weaken her. That storyline should never have been written. I'm really happy there's fanfic like this.
Cavik chapter 45 . 3/27
Okay, I'm caught up now. The way you were able to incorporate various key moments from the show even when accounting for Azula's tweaked character was very interesting to see. So was the overall work and character moments for her. Even if she's partially nicer due to her better relationship with Zuko, it still all felt like her throughout it all. Good job.
Cavik chapter 41 . 3/27
Can't believe you managed to squeeze in part of the narrative from the Yu Dao comic.
The Wasp1995 chapter 45 . 3/24
So at this rate we can expect this story to be wrapped up by 2025? XD

Jk. I'm just glad you still update this amazing fic even if it's a long time between chapters. Truly the best Azula redemption fic. It was heavily inspirational to my own. And a big motivator to finish mine first before you reached this part so I couldn't be accused of copying ;)

Top notch as always my friend.
erica.phoenix16 chapter 45 . 3/23