Reviews for Yearbook Day
sirr89 chapter 1 . 4/29/2013
Awwww...this is so nice and sweets! thank you! sometimes having changed the main character is refreshing. many thanks to you for this wonderful story, though i wish that you could make a longer story 3
again thank you D
Sophrosign chapter 1 . 7/14/2012
Hello,

I truly hope I am not starting to become bothersome with the bombardment of reviews- and if I am, I apologize- but after your exceptional talent finally dawned on me, I felt an obligation at the pit of my stomach urging me to read yet another one of your stories and share my thoughts.

Once again, thank you for shedding light on not only important themes, but minor characters who seldom receive the opportunity to be recognized. I find Nonoko a great representation of the sort of character who has so much potential- almost blatantly so, with her intriguing alice- but it is an unfortunate reality that many do not focus on her character and what her character could entail, ultimately ending up opting for writing the cliched Natsume/Mikan story. It's rare to come across stories that use Nonoko as the spotlight character, and it is even rarer to find one that flawlessly utilizes language in such a witty, intelligent manner that captivates and inspires.

You capture Nonoko's character with a depth that resonates in every syllable of your writing. As a child surrounding herself with others who received more recognition than her, the insecurity is evident, and displayed exquisitely. In that way, she becomes the most relatable narrator I have ever come across. The fact is, as much as she loved her time at the Academy, she wanted to be the best at something, which was something her surroundings barred her to do. It is understandable that she left the Academy in pursuit of a life of recognition, because she was always denied the chance as a child. That selfishness is her flaw- the flaw that undeniably leads the distance between herself and the gang grow exponentially- but it renders her imperfect, just as humans are. Everyone, at one point in their loves, has felt the sentiments she stumbled on, and so her viewpoint is absolutely valid. Also, your characterization of her is impeccable- your words are meticulously crafted such that her narration develops a solid, unique voice. I appreciate deeply the fact that it was written in first person, because the perspective made it all the more personal, like a clip of Nonoko's mind. Her love for chemistry made it obvious she was Nonoko and not anyone else, but her language was so universal as to be easily connected by anyone. As she drank her coffee, we as readers slipped into the systematic chemist's brain and recited with her the substances in the drink. As she saw Yuu for the first time in years, we too were hit with the nostalgia. I could glean vicarious pleasure from Nonoko's experiences, and I fed off her happiness or her loneliness- any sentiment filling her veins.

Similarly, Yuu Tobita was extremely well done. Often times authors portray him with so little depth that it is appalling- he almost has the importance of a filler character. No one recalls his potential to be the most heart-warming, caring character that an individual can portray. Here, he is illustrated in the light that I think he deserves- he has the affable presidential quality that even the narrator has observed. The notion that he called Nonoko by her surname at the beginning established, however, just how much he had felt distanced from Nonoko after all of these years. It is unfortunate, but truthful all the same. Also, I enjoyed the fact that you got Yuu to be an artist, as you established that just because he was academically studious does not mean that he doesn't want to pursue something creative. I find that creative skills are undermined in schools, and the fact that after graduation Yuu chose to harness such skills is the paragon of what I feel society should promote. Although I don't have a preference with regards to who Nonoko should be with, Yuu seemed to me in this story as the best choice.

You portrayed the theme of friendship, and how a true friend never truly forgets their companions. The mundane narration of the rest of the gang's current status only heightened the great realism that you managed to capture. Nonoko missed these somewhat uninteresting events, and though usually one would not feel in the least guilty for missing so little, Nonoko felt regret because of the undeniable obligation as a friend that she knew she had discarded. It is also interesting to note that, despite her mental note to call him Tobita in response to his surname-calling, her narration still continued to call him Yuu. Now, that could be for continuity's sake, but I find that meaningful in that her emotional connection with Yuu could not be thrown away so easily. It also foreshadowed the exchange towards the end in which he told her to call him 'Yuu'- a gesture that established that their friendship had been resuscitated.

This story confronts the somewhat inevitable prospect of becoming distanced from one's childhood with an admixture of contentment, confusion and regret. Nonoko, having able to find the recognition that she always deserved, had felt at least a bit of contentment- that is, at least, until she comes to her epiphany and undergoes a long journey of regret. This story is overflowing with thought-provoking themes- a manifestation of what the unstoppable passage of time ultimately entails. The yearbook is the symbol of her subconscious that I feel is talking to her, trying to awaken an epiphany within the aspect of her that chose work over the bond with her friends. That is, I think, very appropriate considering the fact that yearbooks often capture a moment in our lives that we are never meant to forget, but unfortunately inevitably do. You elucidate the effects of time, and you do so with a situational backdrop that is probable.

All of the sentiments here are genuine, and not in the least saccharine. Never do you allow a contrived replacement take take the place of an emotion that you can develop. On the contrary, whenever a small seed of emotion is planted, you never fail to harness the seed to grow into a full flower.

The biggest theme in this story to me is the idea of distance, both physical and spiritual. The Academy is quite distanced physically, yes, which is one of the valid reasons why she did not visit. However, I find that that was just a trivial barrier that could easily be hurdled over. The spiritual distance that Nonoko had from the Academy- after being so far from it for so long- led to her inability to move there. Hence, I found a feeling of overwhelming contentment fill me inside when you wrote at the end of the story about Nonoko not minding the distance. Like two continental plates, she drifted a little closer to her childhood friends, and even that minuscule inch made all the difference in her world.

The pacing of the story was absolutely brilliant. Though I anticipated your ending, its presentation was breathtaking as it was corroborated by your use of repetition and fragmented sentences. Your writing was still to the level of a great author- the descriptions almost at the level of perfection. You constantly shifted tenses, and while that could be regarded as a problem, here it isn't. You use present tense at the end to hint at the future of Nonoko and the gradual recovery of the severed ties between the gang. It created somewhat of a halcyon ending with perfect equipoise which still retained a sense of hope for the future without instability. I applaud you for that literary decision, because for this reason the whole ending ended on a different tone.

All things considered, I think it just goes to show that your writing is of the highest caliber in whatever you do, and always catholic in scope. I say this so often that I may be sound akin to a broken record, but your writing is one that I hope you continue to share, and I look forward to what more your genius has yet to offer.

Sincerely,
Sophrosign
lyranne chapter 1 . 12/15/2011
Very touching indeed :)
Lorette chapter 1 . 11/13/2011
You are AMAZING! I going to read all your stories! Whenever I read your stories, the image plays so well in my head and I just love it when authors can do that! I'm starting to wonder if you are actually a character in the manga, you put in so many details that I'm unsure if you actually lived in Alice Academy with the whole gang! Anways, I just to say that you are most favorite author ever! You definitely inspire me to write! Thank you for your stories!

P.S. I think I use too many exclamation marks! Oh,well! The more, the merrier!_
Lorette chapter 1 . 11/13/2011

P.S. I think I use too many exclamation marks! Oh,well! The more, the merrier!_
Akshatsinghal chapter 1 . 6/12/2011
You really will make me review each and every single one of your stories :)

Really nice work. Hope you do this for the rest of the alices too :)
303 Chocolate chapter 1 . 10/3/2010
Something efveryone could relate to. This is really awesome! T-T :)
Chennah chapter 1 . 8/8/2010
WOW! SUGOI! I love the way you interpreted the story. All the emotions are like gushing to me. The way you made Nonoko sound so out of place, yet still belonged.
KidTantei chapter 1 . 7/21/2010
Sweet! Whoa, you're so detailed in those ingredients. I don't even know HALF of those! And yay, I learned a new color today! Puce. It sounds like 'puke' XD That was a great oneshot!
Irrevocable Memory chapter 1 . 7/16/2010
My, you just amaze me with your works.

I love how heartfelt this is, how REAL, and how it's just so glaringly ..I don't know, it just somehow fits into place with everything and explains a lot of things and makes me appreciate being with the people I love being with more and more.

(Did that make sense? Oh well.)

Anyway, great job! Thanks a lot for this.

- Irrevocable Truth
Vain Harmony chapter 1 . 6/28/2010
If I had to describe this with one word, I would have to say: Bittersweet-wow, I feel so unoriginal because I have bittersweet in my name. The way you mention the memories is what makes this bittersweet. In my opinion, the memories are treasured and give you a certain warmth in your heart, while it is only a reminder to her that she was deprived of her friends.

Then here comes Yuu-san, a former classmate and good friend of Nonoko, at the café. After she decided to come all the way out there, she never expected meeting up with him. By the time they separate, she already feels as though she's a part of her friends' lives once again.

I'd say it started off a little lonely, but the ended with a rather happy note.

I apologize for the long review. Now I feel like I just repeated your story to you in my point of view. Actually, I read this quite awhile back and just now noticed I never reviewed. So here I am, reviewing. Even though I don't remember this one-shot completely.

I'm looking forward to your next update!
kattylin chapter 1 . 6/26/2010
nice one :) sequel? :P
Meechii chapter 1 . 6/14/2010
Gosh, this is one thing that I feared that would happen to the Alice gang. I can't imagine them living separately :(

Buut, the story is awesome! As expected of you. :)
Anon Fishy-chan chapter 1 . 5/14/2010
A very nice fic about Yuu and Nonoko. They're my fave "secondary" characters in the manga, so it was nice to see them get the spotlight here.
Timeless Rhymes chapter 1 . 5/7/2010
When I'm reading a story, my eyes always fall upon the wrong punctuation or silly grammar mistakes. I'm always thinking of how this person can improve and mentally forming the review in my mind.

But this was different.

I was so entranced in the story that my eyes just flew over the words and I absorbed everything you were telling me. It only became too soon when the story was coming to a nice end. There were questions left to be answer, but the ending was just so hopeful that it inspired me so much.

I suppose I'm just at a loss of words.

Keep writing,