Reviews for The Path to Leadership
DiegoRedeemedLover chapter 3 . 12/19/2014
wow, oh my gosh, you're back! And this was a really great chapter!

[On Soto's third attempt, he collided into something that let out a very violent roar upon contact.

"Shut your mouth, whatever you are!" The ferocity of Soto's voice immediately caught attention.

"Soto!?" Soto immediately recognized the voice.

"Hey, I found you!" While Soto was indifferent to see his brother, Diego was quite happy to find a familiar face. "What the heck is going on out here?"

"I can't explain the weather, Diego. Did you find anyone else?" Both tigers had to strain just to be heard.

"I walked forward for a bit, but didn't see anyone." While normally honest, Diego found it necessary to tell a white lie and not indicate to Soto that he had experienced the discomfort of fear.

"I didn't see anyone either. Come on." Soto's voice was increasingly loud, trying to make himself heard over nature's fury. "Stay close to me and don't stray off, or we'll never find each other again during this storm."]

I like this moment because it highlights their differences and Diego's awe of Soto and his effort to not let Soto's power overwhelm him.

["Stop! I see something."

"Where is it, Diego? Are you sure?"

"I'm almost certain I saw something this way." Diego shifted to the left, pointing in what seemed like continued empty fields. "You have to trust me." Soto snarled at Diego, who remained unfazed and unthreatened. The unparalleled confidence emanating from Diego gave Soto solace.

"Fine. I'll lead. That way, if we don't see anything, we can track our way back."]

This was also a great moment with the "You have to trust me" line, a callback to Ice Age 1, but there Diego had used it on Manny, so that's an good inclusion in the story because it makes us reminded of how the past ends up reflecting the present and how Diego's confidence soothes Soto's demons, which is a good representation of their earlier dynamic from the Original movie.

Great update! It's lovely to see you back writing again!
Michelle chapter 2 . 12/15/2012
No wonder Soto was so sour in the first movie. If this was his childhood along with the rest of the pack he had kinds of a suckish life. He did however turned out to be the leader of the pack.
ZekeInTheNight chapter 2 . 8/3/2012
Aww! Zeke is so cute as a cub! Please carry on. I can't wait to hear more of it.
Ps: Zeke is my fave character from the film so... this is the best ice age fic I've ever read! REALLY!
GirlFromNorth chapter 2 . 9/3/2011
Your story is, shortly, amazing. :) Sadly, you're almost the only one to write a story about Diegos "cub-days"...

Please update soon!
KaylaDestroyer chapter 2 . 7/9/2010
I really think that you should continue this story! It's pretty good.
DiegoRedeemedLover chapter 2 . 6/29/2010
Hi! So long time no review, lol long time no see, sorry. I've been really busy lately with my own Graduation from high school and doing things within the fandom lately: notably that of holding a campaign (helped by Ice Age 4: Age of Man author nineteennintytwo, who's collaborated with me on it) to see if we can get Roshan into the 4th film, Continental Drift. There'll be a petition sooner or later...

Business talk aside, even though this chapter was short, it was really great and awesomely written.

Must quote! [ He'd been aggressively approached by his father twice before - once for the still visible fight scar running along Zeke's small forehead, which was presumed to be an accident due to a lack of attention by his younger brother, and thus, disregarded as a general action falling into Soto's demeanor. However, the second instance, an implied lack of respect for his mother's well being shown by his unforgiving need to have a larger share of the meal brought home by his father, passed the line. ]

So even as a young cub, Soto is desirous of crossing the line as much as he potentially can - neat observation, as it will definitely come into play later...

Oh... and apparently it appears that Soto already sees his youngest brother as his protege, as it were, given his conversation with Diego near the end.

This was also fascinating. Quotes again: ["Maybe there's more to it being that it's our surprise."

"That's your problem, Diego - you always try to find a positive in everything, even when the negatives are so obvious." ]

Okay, Soto is already verbally abusing his brother (in a way) for simply being who he is. And Diego is behaving in his quiet manner, apparently unruffled by Soto. :-)

Near the end, I also discern that Soto is, even at his young age, hungry for power. Odd, I for one didn't think his character and his intentions would reveal themselves so early...

I also have to agree with the others who reviewed, remarking on how Soto appreciates Diego's intelligence. I've often wondered why no one does a one-shot or something about Diego communicating his plan to infiltrate Soto's pack - now that would be fascinating to read.

Okay... I think I've said my piece (and this long belated review could be erm, longer, [ooh, such quotables in this chapter!] but I'm ah, busy with several issues at the moment) and I think it's time to sign off. :(

Until next update, me :-)

God bless!

(and my review is still long...) *Sigh*
FABCHICKXO chapter 2 . 5/27/2010
ugh! Sorry I haven't been able to review, I've been crazily busy :(

But, so far it's looking very, very good! It seems like you have another classic story in store for us! ;) Which, I'm very excited to see. Reading your writing always does make my day! You are very talented! And this chapter was so great to read! I am very much looking forward to the next chapter. I really like how this chapter builds on Diego and Soto's relationship. Not yet showing them close, but not showing them with completely negative feelings toward each other. I like how Soto notices how Diego is a lot smarter than the other cubs. Love it! Please update this story very soon! I am looking forward to reading the rest of this story!

You are a very talented writer! :D
kaktusic chapter 2 . 4/16/2010
Good to see you update! :D

And good to see Soto so self-assured and bound for being the Number One at such early age; it suits his personality perfectly. I was particularly impressed by this thought of his: "He'll learn. Nothing ever comes without consequences." I found it very strong and fitting for his unforgiving nature we'd get to see in his older days.

And of course, I, too, share Soto's opinion on Diego being the smartest of the brothers! :-)
goldenpuon chapter 2 . 4/15/2010
Nice chapter. Diego and Soto do seem like they talk a bit too adult-lie for cubs but other than that, your story si great! Never read one where Soto was so evil or where I learned where he got his personality from so well.
Xion the Author chapter 2 . 4/14/2010
Ah! Update! Finally! I've been really waiting for this, even if it is short!.Soto, the eldest, is the strongest of them all, and Diego, the youngest, is the smartest. This is getting quite interesting. Soto is known in the movie for his ruthlessness, but the fact of Diego being smart though didn't really appeal to me before.

Oscar and Zeke are like extras here lol

hope you update soon!

~Been Here Before~

Xion the Author
KaylaDestroyer chapter 2 . 4/14/2010
This story sounds real cool!

Please upload the next chapter soon!
DiegoRedeemedLover chapter 1 . 4/12/2010
I am very glad I am not the only one to notice that "Diego" and "Soto" are Spanish names, so I was heartened to see that you named their father "Tino" which is also Spanish. The sabers and the mammoths are probably the hardest characters to find names for in Ice Age fanfiction to my mind...

Once again, love the descriptiveness in this. I revel in writing like this.

Soto already appears to be throwing his weight around and threatening his brothers, Oscar is quiet in his resentfulness, and Zeke is off-balance due to Soto's aggression. And Diego is the youngest child, favored by the parents, thus causing CONFLICT! Because, as everyone, pro for the course, that Youngest Child Wins.

That certainly makes sense when you think of the Original from this viewpoint.

Sorry I took so long to review...

Until next update, me :)

DiegoRedeemedLover aka DRL
doodlechick12 chapter 1 . 4/7/2010
I loved it! Is there more? If there is, please update soon!
FABCHICKXO chapter 1 . 4/1/2010
Sorry for the late update! I've been LOADED with homework. But...

I love this story! It's going great so far! I love the way you characterize little Diego and Soto. And I really like how at the end Diego and Soto get a little compassion toward each other. hehe:) I really like this story, it just has a great vibe to it!

(I have a story going on sort of like this with Diego& Soto as cubs... but it has nothing to do with how the cubs' pack rankings were determined.)

I really like this story! Keep going :D
thatsonehappychick chapter 1 . 3/23/2010
very good story idea, can't wait to see where it takes us. I hope they manage to get up to some missadventure along the way, as I found them to be naughty boys as grown ups with all the snipes and challenges to each other, so some fun as kids might show why they still stuck together as a team for so long.