Reviews for Under One Roof
LeahKeehl13 chapter 62 . 5/27/2013
Re-read sins of the father and then read this twice through, so figured I should probably review.. Anyway here's my list of things that were awesome about your stories :P
1) you actually bothered to develop Rodger as a character (and really well)
2) you're fantastic at writing a TON of oc's. they're a perfect mix of quirky and brilliant without each one being defined by a single trait.
3) mello and nears relationship was incredible, absolutely fantastic. I think it was G who said they were symbiotic and that totally made sense. It was awful seeing near after mellos death.
4) finally you made the house completely unique with its own culture and character with the "language", slang, and just the way that they all interacted with each other.
5) also your ordering of chapters was really good, I like how you saved things like robosapians death and As suicide for near the end.
Kinda long review :P anyway, nice job.
Dtkfan888 chapter 1 . 7/5/2012
Interesting,liking this fic.
Dust in the Light-Crisi chapter 60 . 1/1/2012
Wow...you authentically had me crying by the end of this. Something about that last chapter is so beautiful and it so sums up the story. As did the big confrontation with B. Loved how you set up all these arcs and tied them together in the last ten or so chapters...the cat incident, A's suicide, and the memorial.

You have such a lovable cast of characters here and an amazing almost sub culture. Yet you kept it very real and even though we all so intimately know these characters you acknowledged that by our fickle society's standards, no matter how amazing on the inside on the out they're a bunch of freaks. You created a unity and a world here that I frankly prefer over even the likes of Harry Potter, PJO, and many other published works.

Bravo, I tip my hat to your uncanny ability for pure beautiful creation. This is every bit of a work of art as the masterpiece paintings and such of yours. Looking forward to continuing reading your works in the future.

~Crisi
hellopandaa chapter 64 . 1/1/2012
I'm a couple days late reviewing this, but I really think this story is perfect. You write Mello and Near so well. Somehow, you manage to keep the personality that Ohba gave them while also building backwards from that, filling in the gaps of their backgrounds. It's amazing to see you do it every time. :)

Oh, and happy 2012!
definatleynotafelineorcephalod chapter 1 . 11/4/2011
I just love all of your work so much, you have a real talent for fleshing out the different characters.
NSB chapter 60 . 7/20/2011
Oh. My. God. I am just...blown away. This story is epic and I have so enjoyed reading it that I'm sad it's over. Hell, I'll just read it again. And again. And again... .

I am truly, absolutely, without a doubt impressed. Kudos.
Totally Lost It chapter 5 . 6/19/2011
Uhh...what does "blakabaka" mean and what language is it?
sx chapter 1 . 6/12/2011
interesting. worth a second look.
May000 chapter 1 . 3/28/2011
This story was pretty fantastic. I'm not usually one for OCs that are central to the story and most of the time even if they are tolerable, I tend to want them to get out of the way so I can see the canon characters again.

You've managed to avoid all the pitfalls, however, and your characters were a joy to read about. They fit in well with the Death Note mythos. I also like how Mello and Near are viewed by the other residents and how they're kind of in house celebrities and figures of contention both at once. It's really interesting to see how L is viewed, too, and how he's a somehow sort of a legendary figure (that some of the kids are even sceptical about) rather than some sort of hands-on cool big brother type (not that I don't like that particular interpretation).

I also like how you've set up a small society within the house with distance from the outside world. I've always thought that Wammys would be a certain way, judging by the kids we know have come from there. It gives extraordinary children a place to live but only because they can be capable of more than ordinary children, and can be pressured to be so. The social climate that the kids have set up around themselves seems to reflect that and what they are capable of.

Well done. :)
faery7 chapter 15 . 1/21/2011
Just wanted to say that I've recently come across your work, and I must say it is quite excellent! I enjoy reading your DN works, and SotF was very well done. So well, in fact I would go so far as to say that it could be considered canon! You portrayed the characters well, and I love all the OCs now that I'm reading UoR.

On to this chapter review. It's one of those things that you never really think about it, but when you do it makes perfect sense. I've never thought about the staff at Wammy's, but it makes sense for them to have to leave behind everything to work for this secret underground operation to raise L's heirs. I liked this chapter to give some more insight on the staff. Excellent work!
Miranda chapter 63 . 11/27/2010
gotta tell you how much I loved this- it's completely epic; your ability to keep all of this information straight amazes me to no end. any chance of doing a glossary that catalogues the slang the kids use? i've been reading it over for a second time and every once and a while i come across a term they use that i'm pretty sure i get what they're referring to, but i'm not quite sure anymore
EhMa chapter 63 . 11/20/2010
I love this! It's great reading about some of the kids after graduation, not that the index didn't give an idea of what happened to everyone after the House, because it did and was really useful, but I'm so glad that there's an actual chapter about some of them, and even more glad that the main focus are Devon and Crash. Gotta say, when the index said D and C's relationship settled down after fifteen years I didn't think that meant marriage. Even more surprising that Devon was actually the one to propose! Poor guy, first Crash laughs at him and then storms out. Hopefully the fact that she's actually there now means she'll marry him, at least eventually. The idea was surprising at first but I really do hope they get married now. If they do it'll never be boring that's for sure.

Interesting how everyone's names (assuming they are using their birth names) aren't such a taboo anymore, though they still seem to mostly keep to their House names which makes sense since that is what they went by for so long. I love how everyone who graduated from Wammy's House seem to keep tabs on other graduates, it really drives home the fact that even if they weren't best friends or hardly talked to each other they did grow up in a very insular environment and that goes along with their mentality of Insiders vs Outsiders. Near's thoughts in that chapter where both he and S were back at the House as adults and talked also helps with that point.

Hmm, I'm not sure how exactly I feel about Zane now. The first chapter that had him was when he was just orphaned and was being introduced to the House so of course he was a sympathetic character. Then in the index it said he viewed his wife as nothing more than an expensive pet! But now in this chapter his interactions with Muffie... I don't think they have an equal relationship and I hate how he doesn't really defend her to his friends and even makes jokes at her expense, but it does seem he cares about her at least some. Yep, I definitively have mixed feelings about Z now, which is interesting because as much as I love Mello and even L I tend to have mixed feelings them when it comes to some of their actions or even their behavior. Actually I tend to have mixed feeling when it comes to all of the canon characters (or at least the ones who were actually fleshed-out) who come out of or had something to do with Wammy's House.
LeahKeehl13 chapter 63 . 11/18/2010
Wow... This was incredible... I really can't describe it :) so many ocs all interesting and unique. The world u created for wammys house was so great with so many little details like their 'house slang' that made it really fun to read. Too tired 2 talk sense rite now but awesome job! :D
EhMa chapter 62 . 9/11/2010
Thanks for putting this up, it was great having more information on the characters. Wow, so Crash and Devon took over a decade to settle into a stable relationship? Not really surprising what with their contrasting personalities, but at least it seems like they'll manage to stay together since they did keep coming back to each other for fifteen years. I'm glad Yuan got the help he needed Outside and was able to actually get better, most of the kids that were scrubbed seemed to commit suicide! Speaking of, I'm curious, did Gao call Kae to tell her about Fallon's death with malicious intent or did he and the others make up with her and he was the one chosen to tell her? I'd like to think it's the latter but knowing what he grew-up to become...

Well out of all of these Train's bio was my favorite. I can just imagine him causing trouble for Near with his choice of career!
Sayonara7Sauce chapter 60 . 9/9/2010
I was actually just thinking about your story when I saw it was updated.

... But now I'm a bit sad that it's over (even though to agree with other reviews, it was a fantastic ending).

Maybe, to add onto what Lighthouse Tail was saying, it'd be super cool if you could put what chapters the characters are in, because I'm sure I'll want to reread a couple of them :)

Because Under One Roof is that good. It's canon. I can't think of any term better than canon, except that you went were the creators didn't, and created it yourself. Good job.

~ Sayonara