Reviews for The girl on the number 7 bus
ejb chapter 1 . 5/6/2010
I've been waiting for the other version to go up before I read this as I wanted to keep the two story lines different in my head.

I liked the way Lucy turned Parker away from a life of crime, even if she did not know it,he does seem to have his heart in the right place and your story shows the lovable rogue that we all know and love in his earlier days.

The description of the other members of the criminal gang too was first class. They were very much as we would expect them to be from watching loads of British TV series.

I've often wondered if replacing the London underground trains with an overhead monorail system would ease congestion. The thoughts of loads of monorail trains flying around overhead in and out of the buildings makes the mind boggle! I think they are better where they are now - underground.

I liked this story very much, thanks for posting.
TRKQC chapter 1 . 4/2/2010
Just so you know, "Maria Katz" is a psuedonym I've been trying for the last four years to get rid of.

My real name's Laura Stanley.
Silver Bee chapter 1 . 3/30/2010
I'd never thought much about Parker's back story before but this works well. Both the good and bad in his character are evident and it's easy to see how the good would eventually win out. Interesting that he seems to like working for strong women who like tea in china cups! Also like the idea that fate seems to have decreed the link between Parker and the Tracys. Bee
dream lady chapter 1 . 3/29/2010
quiller this was such a lovely and unique story. What really stood it out for me was the fact that Parker and Lucille do not actually 'meet' as such and yet you can imagine they would really like one another. It leaves a warm fuzzy feeling about Parker knowing that he is indeed a good man. Patti-anne
Limelighter chapter 1 . 3/28/2010
a lovely little story. I really enjoyed the gentle way you introduced the characters at an earlier point in their lives, particularly the way Lucille was obviously a musical person - I wonder if any of her children will inherit that trait?

Parkers journey in this was great - the fact that even when he was living a life of crime, he was still a good person really fits in with how we see him later on.

I can't help but wonder if Parker ever discovered who Lucille was later in his life, or vice versa? I imagine that would make for an interesting meeting!

another fantastic story, and well done on the challenge in general. 'twas a grand success!
tiylaya chapter 1 . 3/28/2010
A wonderful little glance into Parker's past. I love the picture of him as a swaggering adolescent, just experiencing the heady thrill of crime for the first time. And having it brought home to him too that there's no such thing as a victimless crime.

We're so used to thinking of him as a fairly staid, reformed character, that I was wondering how you'd bring across his youthful side - but you do it very well. The well-developed sense of what's right and wrong (even if that doesn't quite follow what is and isn't lawful) comes across very clearly, and I could see it driving him to make an effort to set right his mistakes.

I guess the characterisation of Lucille could have been a little stronger, but the focus is, as it should be, on Parker, so it's little wonder that he's the one who comes across most clearly.

Given his conclusion at the end of this story, it's interesting to speculate how his life developed from that point - I guess once you're involved in that sort of life escaping must be very hard, particularly without a patron to support you.

All in all a charming glimpse into Parker's background.
Mirvena chapter 1 . 3/25/2010
It's nice to see you back with a story - glad your muse bit! This is such a sweet story - it's so nice to see a bit of background on Parker who always gets a bit overlooked. He always strikes me as a curious mix of villain and good guy, and this captures him perfectly.
Tikatu chapter 1 . 3/25/2010
Now this is an unexpected gem. Parker and Lucille? You've crafted a story that's not only plausible, but persuasive, and shows young Parker in an interesting new light. Both the idea of "no bowing and scraping to the nobs for him!" and "perhaps he wasn't cut out of a life of crime after all" both come together in the Parker we know.

An excellent answer to the challenge, quiller. Thanks for sharing it!