Reviews for Europa
ihateslash604 chapter 1 . 8/15
Hey, I hope you still read these, but I found this on TV Tropes. I really like this idea! Without a doubt the best Songfic I’ve read! This is the way to do a songfic right!
But there are things that irked me. The explanations often read like Wikipedia summaries, and it would be nice if they were more creative. Also, the part with Belarus made me cringe. You could have had the former Eastern Bloc in separate places. They’ve had their pasts with War too, and they could be maybe reminiscing about them too. Maybe Poland and Lithuania are reminiscing about their old glory, or the times they’ve fought for freedom, or Poland specifically about when Germany invaded and he fought tooth in nail to get out of the Nazis’ grip (or all that other stuff he did in that war). Belarus could be reminiscing about all the people (as much as half of her population) who died in the World Wars as she was caught between two big powers beyond her control. Latvia and Estonia could also reminisce about all the wars they’ve been caught between. They should also all have a reaction to Bolsheviks. The Russian Revolution from what I can gather is not seen as entirely negative in Russia, but it would definitely make Poland and the Baltics flinch. It might even make Poland angry, remembering everything communism put him through.
And please have Germany feeling extreme regret over World War II. As the most remorseful country of his past actions in the real world, he should be feeling pain towards what he has done. What he did, thinking it was in some way “right”. He should be way more emotional over this. And I’m disappointed the Hapsburg trio came in so late, as did Prussia. Come on! These were major players!
And did you forget that Gallipoli is remembered mostly for the ANZAC effort. You could have at least mentioned that, England seeing two of his wide-eyed children being greeted to the horrors of war as they wait, huddled in the trenches next to him.
And oh, Sweden and Denmark hold the record for the most wars between them. It would have been nice to note this.
And you missed the obvious reference to modern Islamic terrorism. Was that intentional? The song was saying that Imperial conflicts in the Middle East have led to modern terrorism, but yet that was painfully missed. It should also be mentioned terrorism used to be common in Europe in the 20th century, due to minorities fighting for independence.
And speaking of Islam and Gallipoli... where’s Turkey? Shouldn’t he be in this too? And Greece? You know, the center of the Byzantine Empire and the cradle of Western Civilization? Shouldn’t he be deep in thought too?
In a nutshell, great idea, though it definitely isn’t perfect. If you’re still in the fandom, I hope you can improve this sometime. If not, I will be happy to make an improved version sometime. This still gets my favorite.
Allstarall chapter 1 . 7/9
I like the story. That it was a song.
However, the tone of the story doesn’t really match the song.
There are historic facts, and I usually love that, but this is like a history lesson of a song combined with Hetalia, rather than something to read.
Also. Because of that, the characters seem somewhat OOC. Romano especially.
Pecha Pichu chapter 1 . 5/26
dude, thanks so much for writing this up! I'm a big fan of Europa by Globus, but never had the time to research the lyrics (or just ended up trawling through to the other side of Wikipedia). Really appreciate you uploading this fic!
L chapter 1 . 3/4
FREAKEN AWESOME!
Guest chapter 1 . 2/10/2017
This fic is just perfect.
Sapphire363 chapter 1 . 6/6/2016
I really love this, It was really moving.
I was a little miffed that there was no mention of Australia in the bit about Gallipoli, as they played a major role in that campaign, but it had little effect on the overall impact and I really enjoyed it. Thank you.
Karano chapter 1 . 12/29/2014
Eh, war will come again. It's undeniable, it's in our blood. The only thing we can do is remember Horace's words. "Dulce et decorum est pro patria mori." "It is sweet and honorable to die for one's country."
What can we do against fate? Hope and pray for as long a peace as we can get.
Every 100 years...something happens.
Your fic and this song, I love them both. These lyrics are one of my favourites, because I heard this when I was barely in the fandom, long time ago. And it made me research and fall in love with history.
History, cruel, good or bad, is just like the flow of time. Unchangeable, but beautiful.
decfjb chapter 1 . 11/8/2014
And now I'm crying. What an amazing fic.
BeautifulDesertFoxglove chapter 1 . 11/8/2014
Cool story. I love Europa, and I've always thought it should be Hetalia's theme song.
Pr0lixity chapter 1 . 6/30/2014
Wonderful tearjerker. Good history lesson, too.
TheDarknessOfHeaven23 chapter 1 . 6/19/2014
I love the song and this story, listen to the song while reading this!
TheAwesomeMe128 chapter 1 . 1/24/2014
Excellent job! I enjoyed reading this.
Peridot Tears chapter 1 . 1/23/2014
I remember reading this fanfic years ago on dA. I'm glad to find it here.

I guess there's not much to say. It's a good analysis for a jarring song. Deeply personal and thoughtful.

I enjoyed it then, I enjoy it now still.

PT
Yukaricchi chapter 1 . 11/20/2013
Wow... When I watched the hetalia video of this song I already thought it was epic, but your fic complimented it perfectly and was very well written. I really loved this!
kimi-ebi chapter 1 . 8/31/2013
I love it !
It's so sad and right...And the ending is just perfect... I'm an european and it was great to read about Europe's history here. I hope there will not be any war between europeans again. And I love your ending "If we don't end war, war will end us"... it's so right...
Thank you for this one !
kimi-ebi