Reviews for The Best Revenge: Time of the Basilisk
Congrats to author.a very well written story...one of best AU of HP i hav read so far...well done!
Mamamama99 chapter 30 . 3/19
I'll admit I feel oddly about reviewing something that was written almost a decade ago, since I mostly read more recent stuff. Still, I couldn't just read all of that and not leave a review.

I really, really liked how you handled this. First of all, Puff!Harry is brilliant (it is in fact how I discovered this work). I believe that, aside from his canon Gryffindor Sorting, it is the House that best fits the little boy who's suffered through ten years of living with the Dursleys. Not to say that his place in Gryffindor isn't deserved in the canon, or that the Horcrux inside him doesn't legitimate a Slytherin affiliation like so many canon-divergent stories turn out, or even that one couldn't find a reason to sort him into Ravenclaw (though I've yet to see one single fanfic featuring this), but Hufflepuff really is the right House for what the Dursleys have made of him specifically.

Moving on to Snape, I found it very interesting what you did with him. Yes, he's still the greasy-haired, batty, glowering Potions Master, but at the same time, he just seems to grow up in a way he has never allowed himself to. It's as if his life had been frozen that fateful Hallowe'en, but his meeting with Harry makes it begin to move again as he gradually lets go of past grievances and some of his prejudice (though he still retains a more than understandable dislike for Sirius, Remus, werewolves in general, and dunderheads overall). He simply grows from an old teen with a lot of issues to a more assured and calmer man. I really think it's great, as he never is allowed to have this kind of growth in the canon, and very rarely in fanfic even.

I'll admit I didn't really care for some of book 2 (mostly the Prince and Burbage families) but I definitely see why they're... not so much necessary as, well, interesting to have in the story.

In regards to the overarching plot, it's great how you had all of the events resolved within one year, while only altering the canon events starting just one month before Harry's first year. And it still felt quite natural - of course everyone (well, everyone but Dumbledore) would be in a hurry to ensure Voldemort doesn't come back, and that Harry is safe and cared for.

Speaking of Dumbledore (I promise, this will be my last point, this review is getting lengthy already), I really, really liked the insight you've provided on him. I have read my share of Dumbledore bashing, but your version of him is just very believable. Not a naïvely open man with cotton candy pink dreams of love and happiness, but no ruthless tactician battling Voldemort for power and fame either, only using the "greater good" as a pretense.

It really was an enjoyable read through and through, so for that, thank you.
Tom didnt like to share info...dumbledore is such a hypocrite
Streetpixie chapter 30 . 12/31/2019
Oh wow, i really do feel bad for poor Zach Smith, he was only eleven and I kept hoping against hope that the Flamels or Harry or someone would find him in time like with Ginny. His poor dad.

Alas, this was a really fun story and happy!Harry was really lovely to see, especially as we rarely ever see it! I wonder how Sirius managed to get over himself enough to have Harry warm up to him.

I think my favourite part was still the very beginning where Snape visits Harry in the midst of all of his own Issues and saves him from the Dursleys, it was very well done and very clever and engaging. McGonagall and Snape double teaming Dumbledore was also fun.
I also enjoyed the first meeting bit with Draco and Narcissa in diagon alley, they're sneaky manipulative thoughts were so much fun as was Harry bouncing off them! Narcissa gushing with Lady Barbara over the ballet was also adorable. I wonder what Dumbledore's character arc over the course of this story could be summed up as, seeing as he got called out on his mistakes and forcefully assisted much more in this story perhaps he DID end up becoming less confident in his own omnipotence.
Last of all I'm very curious as to why Pettigrew was so active during the first year this time around without Sirius' presence to make him run around. Perhaps it was something obvious and I just missed it ?
It's sweet that in this world so many characters - like Charity and Quirrell - were saved but so bitter that others like 11 year old Smith ended up dying in such lonely ways. After reading all this in one go I need time to digest it emotionally haha. Thank you for the story.
swift35 chapter 30 . 12/1/2019
Thanks for the story. I really enjoyed reading it!
Guest chapter 30 . 11/11/2019
Thank for happy Snapes family. It glemmer for me. I love Chloe, Harry, Charity, Sebastian, all knips of the ring table, all members of Prince and Burbage. Thank, its great story. Do you call it Saga of happy Harries house?
Guest chapter 29 . 11/11/2019
Do You knou, whome is revenge of Voldemort? Maybe his mother? All Gaunts? Or Riddles? I hope deatheatres. Old Voldy didnt know anythink. Thanks.
Guest chapter 28 . 11/11/2019
Im happy, that Harry is free of horycrux. Thats wonderfull. Thank You.
Guest chapter 27 . 11/11/2019
thanks. :-) It was nicefull.
Guest chapter 25 . 11/11/2019
thank you.
Guest chapter 24 . 11/11/2019
thanks.
Guest chapter 23 . 11/11/2019
OK, happy dream to snake. Teachers need the teeth, their skins, potion from the blood, I dont know what ever? Thanks.
Guest chapter 22 . 11/11/2019
I am shoked. Thank.
Guest chapter 21 . 11/11/2019
thank You.
Guest chapter 19 . 11/11/2019
Whats? PP lives? Not able! Fred and George know! Thanks.
2,582 | Page 1 2 3 4 11 .. Last Next »