Reviews for Kyon: Big Damn Hero
Thurhame chapter 45 . 11/1/2013
I really love this story! Are you still writing it? I wanna find out what happens next! Especially with Kanae-chan's sliders!
Thurhame chapter 41 . 11/1/2013
"Our current spacial reality is located at the intersection of two parallel membranes in the Calabi Yau manifold,"

...wait, what? 'Parallel' means things that DON'T INTERSECT. You might want to consider revising this bit of technobabble.
Thurhame chapter 16 . 10/29/2013
I am disappointed. This "crossover" has absolutely nothing to do with the Higurashi story. (Not that I mind; I wasn't looking forward to the addition of a horror element to this story, and am relieved it seems to have come to nothing.)
Twylyte chapter 45 . 10/23/2013
This is absolutely brilliant! I'm impressed with how slowly and carefully you sculpted the relationships, making it seem almost reasonable. Your use of time travel is excellent and interesting, and I really like seeing what you've done with Haruhi's powers.
This entire story is very well written, and I look forward to seeing more.
-Twy
yohanberger chapter 45 . 10/5/2013
Please update soon! It's a very cool story!
SaphireHeart chapter 45 . 10/2/2013
I like this! :)
Guest chapter 45 . 8/29/2013
Muy buena la historia, a la espera de la continuación que a cada capitulo se pone mas y mas interesante
Rurouni209 chapter 45 . 7/30/2013
Excellent story-telling and use of time travel. I'm interested to see what happens next. I'll check out your other stories in the meantime.

R
Bigreader in The Omniverse chapter 9 . 7/23/2013
I came across this many months ago and it interested me after the first 2 chapters, but I felt I couldn't read it since I was so far behind in the novels, because I find the novels a little bland, slow and I only started reading them after I saw the anime. I'd like to say I've read the first 9 books now and I find your story a lot more entertaining and fun and I wish the author had done something crazy like this. The mention in book 9 about if you found your self in a different universe where the universe ran on those common book,movie and anime conventions where the hero find some hidden power and pull off awesome action stuff and how someone transplanted in that setting wouldn't be able to act like the natives kind of reminded me of the fan fiction story by Admiral Tigerclaw "Sleeping With the Girls' where a normal person is dragon to real version universes of his favorite anime s and has to survive ina universe that runs of those conventions like slapstick anime comedy but his body doesn't. I just brought this up because thats kind of what happened to Kyon, he got an upgrade to function better in this setting. You are favorited my friend.
Ergoemos chapter 45 . 7/18/2013
This story is probably one of the most well composed fanfictions I have ever come across. It isn’t about some person’s personal twisted fantasy of their vision of the way the story “should be”, or some high minded intellectual’s attempt to bash the audience with a message. It isn’t a drabble or lemon or a lime or any sort of one-shot series. This story is an epic. It is a love song to the original source and glimpse into another possibility. I make no claims that this story is better than its origin stories written by Nagaru Tanigawa, Ryukishi07, Valve, or a collection of snarky folks on the internet. But this story is very good. It is so good it should be considered for merits beyond its origins as a story written by a fan. It is Ascended Fanfiction.

Of course, I am claiming quite a lot. I didn’t major in English, so I don’t intend to break down the tone, syntax and major themes. But as a fan of novels, science fiction and fantasy, I will endeavor to explain why this story should be amongst those you read.

This story is sharp. There is no half-hearted plot twists, unexplained threads or even a mildly unexplained comment. In fact, the author takes the time to slowly build up ideas, plots, and misdirects for the audience to catch and read. I finished reading this story at the end of last month, and I am now rereading it. I have caught references to what would be major events forty chapters in advance. I wouldn’t be surprised if the author had finished this story years ago and is now just teasing the audience with a long slow drawn out release. This tale is more than just single person’s thoughtful aside. It has taken years of dedication. The entirety of this story is longer than half a million words. To keep things in perspective, the average novel is around eighty thousand words.

This story is fun. I can’t begin to tell you how many times I openly laughed aloud at my desk, both at home and at work (where I probably shouldn’t have been reading, but alas). All of the characters play their roles straight and very true to the origins, except for perhaps added doses of genre savvy, dry wit and camaraderie. The characters grow into a true Nakama, which Japanese for close friend or family. As such they are closer, able to laugh more and share the best of their experiences without breaking character. This story isn’t just about fun and warm, fuzzy feelings. There are real moments of tension, suspense and excellently written action as well. The fun infuses the story, but doesn’t overwhelm important points of drama. It instead helps make those moment of contemplation and seriousness all the more stark and believable when they occur.

The only reason I could ever consider cautioning you from reading this story depends on how stark your opposition to the idea of polygyny or bigamy is. Not polyamory, where multiple people share their love with each other, regardless of gender. This story does an excellent rendition of a group of characters, believably, I add, who decide to not simply settle with traditional monogamy, but who wish to share their relationship with eachother. When I first read this story, I had some serious trepidation about the “harem” plot involved. I identify as a feminist and this story doesn’t involve one man getting all the girls. It involves all the people in the relationship identifying with each other and choosing to come together, not fall apart, due to some comical romantic hijinks and silly jealous humor. The romance is believable, more believable almost any anime I have ever come across. I think you will find the same.

For being able to accomplish everything else, let alone the above I mentioned, I seriously urge you to try this story out. Read it here if you must, but don’t forget to find the rest at the author’s blog. I am reviewing sixty-one chapters as of this review, not just forty five. You can find the rest of this story at his blog by using your favorite search engine and looking up Durandall or even Kyon Big Damn Hero. It is easy to find. While you are there you can find more of his stories not posted on

Seriously, try this one out. The story is nothing like the TVTropes it is derived partially from. * Once you start, you can always stop whenever you like.

*statements marked with asterisks are complete lies, falsehoods and/or untrue.
FashionablyHospitable chapter 1 . 5/22/2013
Holy spawner of D'Arvit! Tvtropes!

Niten ichi ryu... I see what you did there.
Altes chapter 45 . 5/9/2013
And the legend returns. Awesome. Sadly, I suck at finding tropes, so I'll just have to enjoy the story.
fiction reader chapter 1 . 5/7/2013
I found the visual novel for this fanfic on fanfic is quite popular
justbehappydammit chapter 12 . 5/8/2013
Between the dangling of Yamane out of the window, Haruhi's presentation to the student council, and the joke about "protection" at the end, I think this is definitely my favorite chapter.
Troglodytarum chapter 1 . 5/6/2013
So just by reading the summary I thought this was one if those "crack" fictions, then I look at the amount of reviews and think. "How the hell does a crack fic get top 5? So I read some reviews and see its a legit story. So I read the first chapter and here I am.

So my question is the hell happens to the main story line? But I'll read on before I ask further.
902 | « Prev Page 1 2 3 4 5 12 .. Last Next »