Reviews for Kyon: Big Damn Hero
Grosstoad chapter 30 . 12/2/2012
-shirt review-

Mwehehehehehehehehehheheheeh hehehehehehehe
A special hell, Kyon, a special hell.

Anyway, I don't really see how Tadamichi Kyousuke can be considered... Regal, or manly.
Is there a historical figure with the name or maybe it's the reading of the kanji?

First name that popped in my head when thinking royal and sounds like Kyon is Kiyoharu for some reason.

It's a great work! Keep on writing!
JonBob0008 chapter 3 . 11/15/2012
I finished "Chapter ten", and it continues to be quality work. My favorite scene was the one where Haruhi, Kyon and Nagato were in the clubroom. I also find your interpretations of certain events in the canon story to be insightful. Also, since you characterization is so spot on, this story almost feels like it fits within canon. Good job!

There were more nick-picks with the prose, but again, I'm waiting to see if correct those errors in later chapters before pointing them out myself. The last thing I wanted to note was that the achronological order of events is more fragmented in your story than in the light novels or anime. This isn't bad, but it makes me feel like I'm reading a Baccano story with TMoHS characters. I wonder if that was intentional...

Anyway, I'll read more on a another day.

Paul "Jonbob" Taormina
JonBob0008 chapter 2 . 11/14/2012
Well, I have to admit it. You are indeed a cut above most of the fanfiction writers on this site. This chapter was VERY engaging, and I'm very much looking forward to reading more. Your capacity for characterization and plot are excellent. I would even go so far as to say that your first two chapters blow away the first two chapters of Meet the Suzumiyas.

That being said, it's not perfect. The biggest weakness in this chapter was that the prose was kinda sloppy in a lot places. There were also a number of gramatical errors. I'm assuming that you've improved considerably since you've written this chapter, so I'll avoid pointing out examples. That being said, if I see you making the same errors in later chapters, I WILL make note of them so that you'll know better in the future.

In any case, reading this is inspiring me to want to work harder. I'll read more of this when I have the time (I'd like to read more now, but I can't). Now that I have a better idea as to how good my competion is, I want to strive to even greater excellence.

Paul "Jonbob" Taormina
JonBob0008 chapter 1 . 11/12/2012
It been a while, hasn't it Durandall. I know I've been a no show in the Haruhi fanfiction community for a while, but I've decided to come back and finish what I started.

Unfortunately, I needed just a little bit more inspiration, and since I've already seen the episodes of the anime many, many times, I decided to obtain my inspiration from fanfiction, instead. And what better fanfic to choose than yours, am I right? It's always bothered me that I've never read this fic, so I figured now was a good time to rectify that.

Don't worry. I intend to review every chapter you have on here honestly (it's too bad you removed most of it), starting with this one:

This was a great starting chapter. It got me hooked, and I do want to see what happens next, and find out how Kyon got that coat. At first I was confused by the fact that chapter two was first, but I looked ahead and realized that it was intentional, much like how the first season was put together. It remains to be seen whether I believe the achronological order of the chapters was a good idea, but given your level of experience, there's no reason for me to believe that you couldn't pull it off (the number of reviews is probably proof that you succeeded).

Anyway, I'll probably read some of the later chapters after I complete the newest chapter of my sequel. I still intend to do everything in my power to make it the best Haruhi fanfic written to date, so don't think for a second that I've given up trying to compete with you. You're one of the most popular writers on this site. It'd be a shame if you didn't live up to my expectations.

Paul "jonbob" Taormina
Rubel chapter 15 . 8/15/2012
Awesome story. I am loving the character growth for all of the brigade. Keep up the great work.
n0mster chapter 15 . 7/5/2012
A very interesting rendition of the Haruhi series, I love how Kyon has taken a level in badass, his dangling of Yamane outside the window was an awesome scene. Interesting to see Haruhi jealous that Kyon did something for the first time with another girl instead of her, even more so to see how she phrased it such that she wouldn't be pissed if Kyon had done it with her first, haha.
I haven't read the Haruhi novels, so I don't know if Mikuru was as insecure in them, but at the very least, your version of Mikuru definitely has some rational fears about her usefulness and place in Kyon's life. I am enjoying the character interactions very much and I do like your stories route so far. The scene with Yuki opening her heart to Kyon was extremely heart-warming, it's always sweet when we have the seemingly emotionless character display glimmers of warmth and love.
Anyway, hopefully the conflict within Kyon's harem will die down, and may more weird and special girls fall for him, haha.
n0mster chapter 13 . 7/5/2012
Haha, a fantastic chapter, nice to see Kyon really be able to whoop some ass on his own now, though Yuki's display was awe inspiring as always. Once again, the misunderstanding between Mori and Kyon was pretty hilarious, can't wait to see if Kyon's mother finds out about his protection.
Really like how Kyon's harem is developing, Tsuruya seems like a great addition, she's another distinctive character and she brings her own brand of energy to the gang. Now that Kyon's got a Yakuza Heiress as well, I can only wonder who else will be next, maybe a proper vampire? (Just not a sparkly one)
n0mster chapter 12 . 7/5/2012
Oho, delicious misunderstanding between Mori and Kyon co, really liked the out of phase conversation they were having, haha.
RealRemainder chapter 15 . 6/8/2012
Hmm... Kyon seems a bit out of character... He'd be more oblivious about certain things... Then again, with everything he became and gone through in this, it seems natural...

I guess I'm more used to narrations by Kyon only, so fics like this seem 'alien' and with OOc to me...

That does not make this bad. In fact it's a pretty cool fic. I'm on the edge for more... Keep up the good work!
Nauran chapter 1 . 6/6/2012
I was caught up in Haruhi's excitement. When I got out, I was like... "Whaaat did I just read?".

Must continue on. Later.
RealRemainder chapter 2 . 6/2/2012
Wow, first chapter and I'm already hooked...

I found this through the reviews of "error in calculation".

Kyon and the IDE seem a bit off... Kyon isn't that all out of a hero and the IDE knows that if it moves against Nagato, Kyon would tell Haruhi the truth and save her... Still, Awesome concept.

I'll read the rest later and put another review with some more thoughts.
chimmon chapter 14 . 4/27/2012
The different characters POV's were nice, especially for Kyon's little sister and Nagato. It makes you wonder what details they might notice or miss in other situations.

Kyon's default thoughts of what someone might want to talk to him about were funny. I was going to say something about his parents calling him "Kyon", but the lampshade was actively hung for that one.
Korsar13 chapter 15 . 4/26/2012
All chapters are available at /brian/fanfic/kbdh/
chaosglory626 chapter 15 . 4/24/2012
You know you should fix/continue this story. It isn't messing me up much as I have like 40 chapters of it saved on my Nook. It would be nice to get more though, and even if you keep switching around where the story is, that doesn't stop the story from being one of the best things I have saved and one that I reread all the time.
Grosstoad chapter 14 . 4/3/2012
'"U...uh, w...well," he started, stuttering nervously, his eyes darting away even as his grasp on her hand tightened. "W...we really... I mean, if this gets back to Haruhi, she'd get really mad, but..." He sighed, slumping slightly and shaking his head. "Who am I kidding? I'm going to burn in a very special hell for this - but it's worth it. Just to warn you, though ... I don't know if I'm any good at this.'

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHHAAHHA! Love it!