Reviews for Clumsy
ComicalEpiphanies chapter 1 . 7/16/2010
Out of character, but oddly fitting. I'm sure Casey probably felt like that when he found out he had a kid.
Katie chapter 1 . 4/23/2010
I hate angst. It tears me up, and life has more than enough of it for me to search it out in fanfic. But this story is beautiful.

I don't think Casey's out of character here, a closed off man like that would only get angry and then soften under copious amounts of alcohol.

Its a beautiful story. A sad, beautiful story.
chasingfireflies chapter 1 . 4/5/2010
very nice. :)
jagged1 chapter 1 . 4/2/2010
Yes, it was angst, but you don't give yourself enough credit in the way you handled it either. I love how you used the pictures as haunting reminders, and the fact that he couldn't destroy them. Casey is not a piece of wood, (that designation is reserved for Shaw) so I can accept the fact that he would have reacted this way.

everg8er23 chapter 1 . 3/31/2010
I think you should give yourself more credit. I'm pretty much an angst hater and usually avoid angsty fics at all cost, but I think you actually did this properly.

Yeah, Casey is a little out of character, but Casey showing any emotion at all is OOC. So writing him is pretty much like describing a wooden board. You've got to figure out how to say that a tiny little wrinkle on his forehead means that he's not so sure that he did make the right choice 20 years ago.

But the great thing about fanfiction is that you get to take the characters outside of the show and dissect them to try to figure out what is actually going on in their heads. And if that means making them fall over drunk so be it.

ANYWAY... my point was that I really like the way you handled the angst in this. It's more in Casey's head than in his actions except for that part at the very end. Which, personally, I can see actually happening in the show's universe. I don't know about Casey screaming in his sleep, but I thought comparing that to how Chuck used to have nightmare's was pretty brilliant since you made a nice comparison between Chuck and Casey in the beginning and how they would make different choices.

The description about the fire and the scotch is really good. Especially how Casey would really just like to burn the pictures but can't bring himself to do it, so it's kind of like he's burning himself instead. For me the image of the fire got a little repetitive, but I'm also hyper sensitive to that sort of thing.

Well, congrats on the story and for getting me to write the most rambly review ever... Thanks for sharing this!
JustAnotherCrazyWriter chapter 1 . 3/30/2010
Dude, this is amazing. Seriously. Even though this didn't happen on the show, I accept this as canon. I especially love the bit on the roof and counting stars and making wishes. :-)
Ms. Chips chapter 1 . 3/29/2010
Casey lost everything - the life he'd been living for the past twenty years, and a life he didn't even know existed before he saw Alex. Duty was what allowed Casey to quash his feelings for all those years and focus on action, but now that his duty is gone, this "second second chance" leaves him only with those buried feelings, so I think the internal struggles here fit with the character and his new situation. As much as I love Chuck and Sarah, I wish the show would give Casey's character a little more depth. He should be used for more than just comic relief and the occasional action sequence. One of the things I liked about "Chuck versus the Tic Tac" was that Casey's choices so clearly served as a counterpoint to Chuck's. In some ways, Casey becomes a kind of cautionary tale to the younger agent about becoming too singularly focused on duty. Protecting people in the abstract but sacrificing them in practical ways, as Alex Coburn did to Kathleen, isn't as noble a choice as it might seem as first glance. I do hope that at some point we see more of Kathleen and Casey's daughter. I'd love for the final episode of the series to end with Walker and Chuck going off together, while Casey makes contact with his former fiancee and daughter.

Anyway, all of this rambling is my way of saying that I really enjoyed your story. I hope that at some point we do get to see some appropriate angst from Casey on the series. Thanks for sharing this with us. Great job!
AmyNY chapter 1 . 3/29/2010
Loved this! Your characterization of Casey was great.
Dancanman chapter 1 . 3/28/2010
LOVEDIT! Great Casey characterization! you got inside the big mans head and did it well. You wouldnt mind making "crapfests" more often, would you?
KuryakinGirl chapter 1 . 3/28/2010

Stress makes people do crazy things, and to act differently than they may normally act. I think you captured Casey's angst well, from denial to avoidance... to when everything finally hit him.

I like how Chuck and Casey were able to have a conversation without having one. And I especially liked that Casey was finally able to let go because Chuck was able to hold on.

Beautifully done. Thank you for sharing it with us. :)
vandevere chapter 1 . 3/28/2010
I'm not upset with how you wrote it, because how you wrote it is how Casey was played in the Tic tac...

With Casey. it's all internalized, so nobody else can see it, and that's Casey all over. Guy could be bleeding ti death, but he wouldn't let you know. Okay, I'm exaggerating; but only a little...

This was a great little story...

Brandywine00 chapter 1 . 3/28/2010
I thought you did great with the angst, Casey-style. He's a man used to keeping his 'lady-feelings' inside, and would internalize them rather than get all chatty with Chuck or anyone else. The use of 'how to deal with the photos' was a great symbol for 'how to deal with my feelings/past' and 'where to go from here'.

So, I think you did angst quite well. Loved how you had him give Chuck the photos, with the same reason he made that choice years ago... he'd not have them, but they'd be safe. Technically, I think if Kathleen had been able to tell him about the baby (before Keller hung up the phone) he may have changed his mind, or at least checked on them... who's to say?

Anyway, I really enjoyed your story, and look forward to reading more from you. )
youresuchanerd chapter 1 . 3/27/2010
You're too hard on yourself, that wasn't entirely out of character. Fine, it sort of was. But that expressed all the emotion felt in that short moment during the episode where Chuck talks to Casey. And you're right, there wasn't angst where there needed to be angst. But that might just have to do with the person Casey is, he wouldn't cope with it how Chuck would expect him to considering the situation. But that's Casey, he moved on, that's who he is. He accepted that he lost everything, and that he can't go back to what he gave up so long ago (And that's the best part of what you wrote, when he asks Chuck about his wife and then his daughter, how could he go back to that? How could he expect them to understand that?). And you can't show what he's feeling or thinking the same way you can read it, so I'm not too upset about there not being enough angst in the episode.