Reviews for To Carve a Pumpkin
Ava Taggart chapter 1 . 1/27/2014
And so the wall between Chiyo and Pumpkin grows higher.
I love this, it seems so in character for Pumpkin and hints at what is to come and the way the relationship between these two will deteriorate. You've managed to make a constantly happy girl begin to have negative feelings. Her daydreams seem fairly in character, the whole being adopted part seems plausible even if the daydreaming about owning the okiya doesn't, but she's not a total idiot and knows that the second thing follows the first, so she probably would think about owning the okiya. Beautiful writing.
SilentWriter987 chapter 1 . 10/10/2013
I always did feel a little bad for Pumpkin. Sayuri was kind of selfish... But, as Auntie said, Sayuri succeeded and Pumpkin didn't. Sayuri needed to survive, even at the cost of one's own survival.
mistrali chapter 1 . 10/24/2011
Nice work. :) I like the way you wrote Pumpkin. I'm not sure if it says Pumpkin was actually told to keep watch Chiyo that day - but it's definitely plausible that she would be punished for letting Chiyo escape in any case.
Clarisse the Wild chapter 1 . 8/27/2010
I've got to agree with the previous reviewer; Pumpkin was unsympathetic in this, but so was she in the movie and the book, so really there's no problem there. :) I immensely enjoyed the writing style and first-person viewpoint. Favorite. :)
KatherineSpice chapter 1 . 8/17/2010
You made Pumpkin a little unsympathetic in this, but I could also sympathize with her. I liked your writing style and the first person viewpoint. Good job!:)