Reviews for And Merrily We Go Along
shadic rules chapter 1 . 4/26/2014
So... Kyon believes that he has come to terms with this new world around him? I don't know, it seems strange.
1st off: How does Haruhi know of her abilities?
2nd: how does Kyon not freak out?
However, I will admit that I have a guilty pleasure in messed up psycho love. Allow me to elaborate: I enjoy stories where a guy is stuck, alone, with a girl that loves him. Overtime, he loses his mind and begins to accept her love.
flairina chapter 1 . 1/10/2014
Huh. Wow. I'm not one for romance or shipping, but that was... rather powerful. Nice idea, very well executed.
Anonymous chapter 1 . 1/27/2012
On the one hand, this is kind of cute.

On the other hand, if you stop to think about it for more than 10 minutes, this is a horror story with nothing romantic about it.

I realize this is the implication of things from the end of the books, if Kyon didn't 'man up' and show some courage. In the novels that works fine, because this doesn't happen. In this story...

Haruhi ERASES all of Kyon's family. His parents. His sister. His friends? Gone. All of them. Permanently. Forever! Unlike the promise she made in the novels, where they'd come back, here? They get in the way of what Haruhi wants, so she acknowledges that they're gone and is immune to any responsibility for her actions:

The subtext here? Haruhi's a juvenile girl who wants what she wants, and damn the consequences. Her final sociopathic line towards the end are utterly chilling, framing everything in a sort of a, "If you had JUST given me what I wanted, I wouldn't need to destroy everything else you loved and made myself the only thing left in the world you could even tolerate," stance.

What's more horrifying than that? The fact that Kyon completely buys into it. That he's so utterly crushed that he doesn't even fight for what he believes in or wants; Haruhi doesn't need to exert her awesome will for him (and claiming she 'can't' turn it back comes across as a lie to me; it feels like she's chosen to punish him for not giving her what she wanted sooner - specifically, that even after coming to her new world, he took too long to give her the gratification she wanted). It really just takes enough time of her destroying everything he knows/loves, until she's the best option left.

But that's not what really horrifies me about this story.

What really horrifies me is that someone thinks that this is genuinely 'romantic.' What utterly TERRIFIES me ... is the idea that the author herself still believes it- And then thinks that it's 'cute' or 'romantic,' when the reality is basically just a horrible omnicidal maniac (and erasing the original reality and not bringing anyone back makes her 'no one dies in wars' change utterly pointless- She STILL killed everyone on Earth. Just because Kyon wouldn't kiss her) forcing the target of her affection into something significantly worse than slavery.

So. Loved it. Enjoyed it.

Thought about it. Am now terrified - possibly scarred for life. And I still enjoyed it - just as a horror story.
skipple chapter 1 . 12/14/2010
Lovely story! I liked the little change to the poem at the end, it was clever and just felt right.
Amythista chapter 1 . 11/22/2010
This is awesome. No other words for it. Awesome job.
where are the rest chapter 1 . 5/19/2010
Nagato, Itsuki,and mikuru

Haruhi did say they would see them again

it would be nice if we did get to see what life was like for them in the new world.
Myrrn chapter 1 . 4/12/2010
An excellent one-shot, reading it was like wandering through a dream. Great work.
Tabasc0 chapter 1 . 3/31/2010
I like it, a short little what if that in spite of beginning in a cataclysm still ends happily.

I also liked the ambiguity in what exactly Haruhi let herself remember of the old world, it added a little tension.
MCK Agent of Moriya chapter 1 . 3/31/2010
This was really good. I had "Emiya" playing in my head while I read this. For a one-shot romance, it felt incredibly epic. It takes an insane amount of skill to make a full fledged, multi-chapter romance epic, much less a one shot! Great work on this.
GeshronTyler chapter 1 . 3/28/2010
Surreal, that was. Yes, there but for the grace of "god", go we. _
Mint Pearl Voice chapter 1 . 3/28/2010
This is beautiful, poetic, shippy and sweet- I love it!
mafalda157 chapter 1 . 3/28/2010
Oh wow! This was so beautiful! The new world felt so vibrant and dreamlike, I could vividly picture it in my head.

Koyn's interactionc with Haruhi felt both fascinating and completely natural. Haruhi's curt answers were a lot of fun to read. Although I spent most of the fic wanting to give her a hug. Even after reshaping the universe, she was still unhappy, probably because Kyon dissapointed her yet again. :/

It really was an interesting idea for an AU, mostly because it could have easily gone this way in canon. I like how in the end they couldn't go back to how thing were.

Also, I've said this before, but I really like your pseudo-poetic style. :) Keep up the good work!
Another Duck chapter 1 . 3/28/2010
This was an odd fic, and very unique. It was mostly like a dream that in the end, didn't mean all that much, but was pleasant throughout.
Mr CJ chapter 1 . 3/28/2010
Very nice work! I always wondered what a 'Haruhi Suzumiya-esque' world would be like. Is the world still tied to her subconscious (if it was, logically, if she wanted things to go back, they'd go back) or is it in its way more fixed now? I'm guessing Haruhi is aware of her abilities by now, but you'd think she'd want the rest of the SOS Brigade back too (after a while). I'm sure there was a line to this effect somewhere in the anime (when Kyon is trying to explain why he likes the old world, and Haruhi is counter-arguing) - can't remember re: the novels.

And lulz at Kyon. Everyone says he's nothing special, but really, he has a power all of his own. He's immune to gods. :P

(That, actually, would make an awesome premise for some sort of Cthulu Mythos crossover...)

Excellent writing, excellent 'plot' (or possibly 'theme'/'idea' etc, being a one-shot). Keep it up!
Durandall chapter 1 . 3/28/2010
That was really good. Like most of my favorite Haruhi fanfics, it encapsulates a genuine feel of melancholy, but also escapes ending bitterly.

Well done.