Reviews for At Any Cost
Book girl fan chapter 7 . 1/8
How does Asterix get into such situations? He doesn't even have Obelix to help him this time!
Ninjalinda chapter 1 . 3/25/2013
I LOVE your Asterix-stories. They're well-written and have good plots! Keep up the good work! I plan on printing them out and bring them with me on my vacation this weekend. ;-)
Also: a section for Asterix has been added under "Comics", so they don't have to be submitted to the "Misc."-folder anymore. :-)
WybiE'z KidNapPer chapter 15 . 1/24/2012
Yaaay Asterix lives! :D

I was so sure he was going to stay dead.
PutMoneyInThyPurse chapter 12 . 11/15/2011
""I have failed you," Obelix went on. "We were best friends and I..."

"Were?" the ghost raised his eyebrow. "Friends forever, remember? Forever is more than till the end of life. We ARE friends. Always will be".

I nearly cried at that line. It's so beautiful.

I'm just loving all your Asterix h/c. I've read them all and I'm in the process of re-reading them. Thank you so much for writing them.
Lestatounette chapter 15 . 5/29/2011
Salut CrazyBeaver, désolée, je ne suis pas douée pour crire en anglais, donc je reste en français, j'espère qu'avec google traduction, tu arriveras à me comprendre...

Je viens de finir cette fic, et j'ai d'ailleurs lu toutes tes autres fics, et je les adore toutes, mais celle-ci est ma préférée!

Même si parfois dans la BD il y a des moment difficiles pour nos héros, c'est plutôt une BD joyeuse, donc ça change de voir Astérix dans une situation angoissante et sombre comme ici. Je dois avouer que j'aime bien les darkfic, c'est sûrement mon côté sadique, mais j'aime voir mes personnages préférés souffrir, à condition bien sûr, que ça finisse bien pour eux à la fin.

Ton histoire est super et très prenante, pleine de suspens, je crois que tu as toi aussi un côté sadique, tu aime jouer avec nos nerfs. Et tu m'as tué quand Astérix est mort, mais j'ai espéré jusqu'à la fin que tu allais le ressusciter, et tu l'as fais, merci!

Bien que l'anglais ne soit pas ma langue maternelle, j'ai pu apprécier ton style, qui est très agréable à lire, j'espère que tu écriras d'autre fic *puppy eyes*
Filosofie chapter 15 . 4/9/2010
Wow, it feels good to have read the epilogue.

on top of having been dead, Asterix has killed people now. And seen afterlife...though I guess it looked different for him because he had to linger for this battle... I don't know, best that you don't fully remember I guess, or things like this could drive you crazy.

Anyway, many things happened, but Asterix really saved himself in the end..

The ending is quite positive still, the other one was sadder maybe?

Do you have plans for other stories? I'm going to think about what to write next. Maybe create an outline for an entire story that I can then publish chapter by chapter

(my boyfriend insists on writing a bestseller :) but Dutch books barely make you a living if you are really good, and who gets good without practice...

So no, a larger fanfiction is good exercise.
Filosofie chapter 14 . 4/8/2010
It could be the end of the story. Maybe it would be a bit sudden, but still, the end is there. Still, I'm curious for the epilogue. It is strange to have asterix act as a ghost, without temper...it is asterix, but not completely.

the story is almost finished...

I really like exchanging opinions with you, also on the not asterix-parts.

Next week i'm looking after the cats at my parents house. I won't be online that often, but I might be able to write something. It depends on how they behave. Me and the boyfriend take our pets and go and live there for a week, not without reason. One cat really has someking of a I'm being left alone fobia, on top of bad kidneys, and one of the other ones has had some strange sort of stroke a few weeks ago. He recovered completely though. To avoid having to worry over them...we just move in with them. And since I really miss them (I lived there my whole life before moving to rent something with the boyfriend) I quite look forward to it. To be short, I might be writing less next week, but will certainly want to keep contact with you. You write very well, but are also fun to talk to (even if it is in messages)!
Filosofie chapter 13 . 4/7/2010
the story is really getting epic proportions now! You did explain well, I just got over-tired a little lately. It was Voyagix then with the remark I'm still thinking of.

Right now, I have a funny feeling about the medal too!
Filosofie chapter 12 . 4/7/2010
He's a ghost...like mechantix predicted? But apparently free to do as he pleases. Strange, strange. I guess answers will start to come now...

I still wonder how the man in the town knew Astronomix name. I guess it could be that they met in Condatum, or that Astronomix once helped him, end of story.

But I thought before: maybe Astronomix made a pact with mechantix once, and still freed himself.

Being a ghost is no fun...I have no personal experience :) but most fictional ghosts seem to think it sucks :)
Filosofie chapter 11 . 4/6/2010
Somehow, I even feel relieved that this ends the spell...somehow. Yikes, Yikes Yikes. So this was the dream.

And they're in Condatum...

Waah, you just killed Asterix! Back when I started Harry Potter I was convinced that every character would just come back to life, but Rowling crushed that belief. I guess I'm still postponing mourning a bit...

I only reviewed no, for the obvious reason: the second chapter is up!

I did leave one name in English, on purpose. I thought of that name while I wrote the story (and was using every sort of name, French or English or Dutch and when I wanted to translate it later, it simply didn't fit. So I left it...

My sister wants to read too (yey!) but she did not read the actress so I told her to wait up until I leant her the comic. And the how Obelix fell in the magic potion story too. You can easily understand without it, but it is just the cutest book ever. It reminds me of "le petit Nicolas", something Goscinny wrote for another cartoonist (it is mainly text). These stories are about little children, six years old, and they are just hilarious. A little outdated, since written in the fifties, and forr example there was one tv in the entire city, but still hilarious! And Uderzo gets full credit too, the pictures are beautiful, and the little ones so cute.

Anyway, I'll wait until you review to tell more and spoil everything. Just so you know, I corrected a lot of mistakes, but there are bound to left a lot. I rushed a little, wanting to read and review, and post!

It also confronted me with some twists I liked less, some things that maybe were AU, but well...I also had to erase five thousand 'quites' and 'justs' which apparently became my favorite words in the English language. There are still plenty left.

Am I avoiding that you just killed of Asterix? Possibly :), By the way my OC is totally speechless on the background. She has no idea what to do right now. Poor thing.
Filosofie chapter 10 . 4/5/2010
Every chapter makes me shiver... god it is really tense and the suspense is just killing me. Turns out Asterix is stronger than I gave him credit for once again. I don't know why I'm so suprised.

Yay, Finished! I just ran a spell-check on the computer (saved me lots of time) and printed the second chapter (almost nine pages). It will just be a quick check on sentences and stuff now.

Maybe, you could help me out with a few things? I don't have any english version of the comics at hand...

-The name of the place where Obelix makes his menhirs

-What Asterix' mother calls him when she is belittling him (it's Ririx in French and Rixje in Dutch). I just guessed and made it Rixie for now.

I'll give the characters their french names, since I am not familiar using the English ones, and forget to use them all the time. I'll make a short list...

Anyway, I'm still dead-curious for your story. I wish I knew russian :) But maybe it's more fun to read chapter by chapter.

And I did not dislike christian clavier that much, it was just that it was really strange to see a live full-sized actor playing him. Initially they thought of a midget for him, but that would just have been weirder.

Depardieu never disturbed my one single second, he was brilliant from the beginning. But he got better. And Clavier got more convincing too, facial expressions and all. so the replacement was really not that necessary.

Generally, Asterix came of a little less friendly in real-live, and Depardieu just made Obelix the likeable character he is. I had a lot of fun with Asterix in this second chapter "winks". I'm very curious to hear what you think to, but don't want to have you to wrestle trought too much grammatical nonsense.

In general, the part I postponed to write was just so much fun. My boyfriend had oficially questioned my mental health over it. he wants to me to tell what is in the rest of the story so he can just read the last part. Which is not going to happen.

Anyway, off to bed now. I might not have time to read things during the day (I made myself an entire to-do list before the weekend). But I'll definitely continue to review every single thing you publish in the evening. Or maybe at breakfast :).
Filosofie chapter 9 . 4/5/2010
Wow, harsh part! But luckily Asterix managed to hold back. I knew there would be complications. I really inwardly hoped he would just crack Mechantix neck and be done with it, but I know there are 15 chapters :). And the story would be over far to soon if things were that simple.

Afterthoughts is almost finished, I am having a lot of fun right now. It will be a lengthy chapter, I'm at seven word-pages right now, but I will post them tomorrow night, because right now I'm just using English names, Dutch and French ones at random, making grammatical errors and making up some English too. And I have to cut up some sentences too, I really make them too long. All this is just correcting however. The story itself is almost written, I'm just getting into it a lot and if I do, I make mistakes quite frequently. But you can see for yourself tomorrow, because I'll probably forget to correct a lot of things :).
Filosofie chapter 8 . 4/4/2010
I think Mechantix is going to underestimate the power of a truly scared/angry Obelix.

Yikes, even though these people were robbers, this will probably hunt Asterix forever. That's assuming Obelix will be able to save him in the end. But I have limitless faith in my heroes...

I'm still up because I wrote some more on the story, there was one more thing in Asterix and the Actress that we missed, and I just had some fun writing that part. :)

By the way, you're right, The cauldron was brilliant on Obelix part. And in his own way, I thought it was quite a sad story too. It was kind of easy for the robbers to get the cauldron, even though you had to give come credit to Asterix afterwards, since their chief had probably just seen them break in and that was something that was difficult to foresee.

But the banishment was a completely ungrateful thing to do in my eyes when I read the story as a child, and I totally felt like, wow, I'd just walk away and never come back anyway. I felt so sorry for Asterix in that story, which is probably why I did not want to understand the rules of Gallish pride back then. Still it was a story that had a sort of tension during the adventures that usually is not so present in the other comics. This was not a fun and games story...though Obelix was a hilarious actor!
Filosofie chapter 7 . 4/4/2010
Wow, I just returned from the easter family gatherings (from boyfriends' side of the family) and this is a nice surprise. Obelix made it! There is hope!

I have written quite something, but somehow put off the final conversation because it is just a difficult part to write. But this will be written tomorrow!

It is a bit hard I suppose because I want to stay as in character as possible for this story...since it is not a story on its own. Asterix part will be relatively easy, but Obelix is difficult. He's a brilliant character but can be naïve, childish, revengeful at times. Also he's the most faithful friend I can imagine, and in my eyes not stupid at all. He just has different priorities...and that mixture is something I sometimes feel even Uderzo has difficulty with sometimes. Obelix and co, the gift of Ceasar, display him very well. And all at sea was in my opinion an album that did him and Asterix justice as friends, though the album was a little too far-fetched (the flying cows were so not necessary) for my taste.

I guess I really liked that he turned back to normal when Asterix was in danger.

I don't know if rescue will come from his part here...but if he gets to know about what happened to Asterix...I think we might see a character that is a Lot less friendly then usual.

As you can see, I'm totally imagining characters to kick Mechantix butt. I have this hunch about Astronomix coming into play...You created a character that I want to see destroyed with all my fictional heart.

But I guess it will have to wait, cause the story can't be over too soon :).

Yesterday I started a book that I like quite much! It took me a while to get started reading again after I finished a lengthy triology. I get quite attached to certain characters, so I have short periods of mourning when I finish a series...Fanfiction is a great invention for me. But starting in a new book and liking it that much is also a great feeling and a source of inspiration.
Filosofie chapter 6 . 4/2/2010
Wow...

I already saw you added a chapter at noon. usually we eat together, but today we were forced to eat at different times because everyone was very busy. I checked my mail, saw the update and wanted to read while eating at the desk (I was curious), but I stopped after a few paragraphs, just because it made me feel too weird.

That does not mean it is bad, it means it is totally good! But incredibly sad. And Astronomx and Sasparilla make it even worse...I just want to jump into the story and kill Mechantix off. I read dramatic books often, but usually at top speed, and because the chapters come one by one, you can't rush.

It is just his worst nightmare coming true, and he totally realizes. And doesn't see a way out...for like the first time ever I guess.

Nope, in the black cauldron he didn't see a solution either (at the end). I really hope help will arrive...

Maybe it is because Asterix is my all-time favourite fictional character, but the writing style is brilliant too. You translated with great care, use Dogmatix very cleverly to add to the general miserable feeling (I mean that in a good way:).On top of that,having his parents there. Last but not last, Asterix is a very proud character end you carefull emphasize this.

So I really though dis chapter was heart-breaking and terribly good at the same time. I have a feeling that this story will make me cry at a certain point, so I'll read future chapters in complete privacy.

(crawls into story to give Asterix a quick hug, than jumps back out so as not to be in the way for the next chapter!)