Reviews for One You Haven't Seen Yet
Aliel Morgan chapter 1 . 12/3/2013
This was so lovely. I love the way you write both Gene and Alex, and it combines two loves of mine: Old films and "Ashes To Ashes".

Thank you. :)
Snapecharmer1 chapter 1 . 9/1/2012
I can't resist a fic where Gene looks after Alex. He's such a sweet character. Loved the old movies theme. Thanks for sharing! :)
Jazzola chapter 1 . 7/21/2010
Gorgeous fic! Poor Alex, though... the moping was a good touch.

Thanks!

Jazzola :)
lilgreenmomo chapter 1 . 5/26/2010
That was wonderful; sweetly romantic a very in character. I want to go out and watch all those wonderful old movies now :)
Igiveup chapter 1 . 5/26/2010
That was beautiful. You've really gotten everyone in character, too.
funk2funky chapter 1 . 5/6/2010
Wow, I really liked this. I don't know much about 1940s films, so I'm afraid that aspect of the story was somewhat lost on me, but I absolutely loved how you wrote Alex. It seemed very realistic, just like how she would speak on the show, and I loved the introduction to how she was feeling.

Very good story! :)
theHuntgoeson chapter 1 . 4/1/2010
Glory be, an A2A story from you at last, and it's a cracker! The use of old films as an emotional release valve for Alex, and then for bringing her and Gene together, is simply brilliant. I note your use of "Between Two Worlds", which is so appropriate to Alex's situation, and which you referenced when I was writing "Decision Time". And Barbara Stanwyck's first appearance in "Ball of Fire" could be said to reference Alex's own first appearance in 1981, in a micro-skirt and heels. You give them perfect line after perfect line - "You 'aven't eaten since Maggie Thatcher was a backbencher, from the look of things.", "booted feet firmly on the floor. Ready for the showdown. Or to get out of Dodge, if it came to that." "Bollocks au gratin?", "Right. Tie on the feedbag,", "no second feature starring Gene and Alex under her duvet, however much they'd both had to drink.", "keeping the Gene Genie in his bottle, the Manc Lion in his cage.", "Gene Hunt, film scholar and cultural critic,",

It is so right, and so moving, that she should suddenly think of Molly and break down so completely, and that Gene should take such care of her, fetching pillows, covering her with his jacket, and sleeping on the floor to keep near her in case he is needed. And the ending, a happy ending but open-ended (if you follow that) is perfect and leaves room for more. This must not be your only A2A story, please write more!
Solo Lady chapter 1 . 3/29/2010
As a fan of old movies, I just adore this story. And I'm proud to say that I've seen all the movies listed. "Ball of Fire" is a particular favorite. I couldn't help comparing Cooper and Stanwyck with Gene and Alex - especially when thinking of the "legs that go on forever." And the description of Tracy and Hepburn parallels our favorite coppers.

Alex's ambivalence toward an evening with Gene was very clear and easy to understand. And her breakdown over Molly was touching. Alex was right in thinking that Gene would obey the rules about "these things." He looked after her and stayed there while she slept. That was so sweet.

Finally, I loved the reference to keeping the Gene Genie in his bottle and the Manc Lion in his cage. And "Turns out your rump takes up more space than I'd thought." Hilarious!
Deweynumbers chapter 1 . 3/29/2010
Perhaps I need to give some of those films another look. What a delicately balanced piece. I couldn't stop grinning at the end.
Dinny93 chapter 1 . 3/29/2010
Aw, that was very sweet. Characters were bang on aswell :D Loved the idea of a film evening and Alex does seem the type to like those sorts of films :)

Dinny

x
sash queen of the jungle chapter 1 . 3/29/2010
me too. i love happy endings and galex hopefully will be. Thanks for a nice 1-2-1 galex moment.
Siggy chapter 1 . 3/29/2010
Absolutely lovely.

The test of a good story is if I can actually 'see' it in my mind - and with this story the pictures were coming through loud and clear.

You captured Alex and Gene so well here, just the right amount of tenderness between them and the dialogue funny and sparky. '"You 'aven't eaten since Maggie Thatcher was a backbencher, from the look of things."' made me laugh out loud while "Bollocks au gratin?" had me spluttering with surprise.

Of course I feel an urgent need to go and revisit some of these classic movies.
monkey-in-hell chapter 1 . 3/29/2010
Lovely fluffy story. Deserves a sequel, surely? Maybe involving a deeper discussion of the Hays code...?

And I have no idea what sort of films the BBC (or ITV/C4 for that matter) were showing back in '82 either but it doesn't matter - the films work for this story.
Malena Hunt chapter 1 . 3/29/2010
I really, really enjoyed this. Very funny, excellently written, and with enough UST to keep me happy. And it's totally in character as well. I've been on a classic movie kick for the past few months so the homage to the good oldies pleases me to no end. Thanks for this. :)
Lucida Bright chapter 1 . 3/29/2010
When's the next screening? You've got to give us the happy ending, KDN...

You're spot on with the BBC's choices in 1982 and thereabouts - used to watch endless b/w classics on the weekends, inc Ball of Fire. Isn't that the one where she has to climb on a stack of books to kiss him?

Cute story - cute Gene, very cute. Indeed.

Enjoyed this very much.