Reviews for Close Your Eyes, Clear Your Heart
MoonlightTyger chapter 17 . 3/1
(Awwwwww the part where David gets glomped by his sisters nearly brought me to tears! T.T)

Well...if THIS story didn't end up going in quite a different direction than what I'd imagined when I first started it! Those were *quite* a few twists you threw in there! The two teams of people and us not knowing if Tassle was a good or bad guy and keeping us wondering there, Mai's role, the foreshadowing of what might happen when the Star is destroyed, then the set-up and subsequent subversion of many tropes :D And of course, I loved all of the philosophical questions and conversations along the way :D

This last chapter didn't go the way I expected, either, but I'm glad about that. The ends were tied up well, even though not *everything* is "well". Things with Duke and Yugi's group didn't magically get fixed, and there's still the tension between Duke, Joey, and Tristan. But Duke's happy overall and has found his own way, and it does seem they've reached more understanding than they have in the past. Really good finish and I thought it was a logical conclusion for the story.

Anyway...overall this was another good read :D Can't wait to get to the next one! :D
MoonlightTyger chapter 16 . 2/27
So Mai's responsible for that little flub at the beginning, huh? Wasn't expecting that! Trouble likes to follow her around, doesn't it? XD I'm glad Serenity and then Snakes were able to make her see a bit of sense. Snakes especially...for someone who didn't trust her, he certainly knows what to say *to* her! Their conversation was nice to read; very pointed. Hopefully she goes back to Domino sooner rather than later.

Yay everyone remembers everything! Or...maybe not yay, given that means Joey and Tristan do, too. And how are they going to explain away David's death to his family? Yugi and the others can accept "magical object" but David's family...well, I'm sure Duke will think of something. He always does XD I like the convo between him and David near the beginning too, about Serenity being sheltered. David's observations are point-on and wise as always :)

Enjoyed this chapter! :)
MoonlightTyger chapter 15 . 2/11
(I've been chatting about FFVII all day or writing it so this is definitely a gear-switch, lol.)

YES I knew Snakes would come back! He's too interesting a character to not make use of XD Duke was so cute there, and I loved the interaction between him and David, too :D Your Snakes has a good core. I often wonder how many people would be better if they had real friends to rely on, good friends (one of many things I've learned to appreciate about this show!).

Ugh poor Duke T.T Yep, been in the 'ignored' position myself. Except I didn't have conduits like Serenity and/or Yugi. Tristan clearly underestimates Serenity's independence, but if Yugi can't make Tristan see reason, no one can. I hope Duke is able to give them another chance.

Wait...Mai's the one responsible for the amethyst? This should be interesting! 0.0 The plot's all starting to come together, now!
MoonlightTyger chapter 14 . 2/9
(...Really, von Tassle has no idea what 'insane' actually looks like!)

...Plot twist again! I was not expecting that to happen to *Snakes*! At first my bet was David, but after all the trouble you've gone to bring him back to life...geez though if von Tassle didn't just get really dark really quick! 0.0 (Shame your FFVII 'golden boys' no longer have the power to arrest people! Zack would *really* enjoy bringing this guy in!)

I really liked Duke's epiphany at the end of the chapter; 'there is a time and a place for everything' is sometimes a painful lesson to learn, but there's often an equally great comfort once we've learned it. But I like the way you wrote it, too; I thought it flowed really nicely and realistically (which is especially good considering a magic gem is a major plot point, lol) and led very nicely to that surprise conclusion at the end! Excited to read the next chapter!
MoonlightTyger chapter 13 . 1/24
“They weren't living in a science-fiction novel, after all.” Doesn’t matter what else you put in the story, THIS is my favorite line XD One of my favorite things to see (and do!) is have characters casually mention the fourth wall but not actually break it XD

“...still worried all the time that he would remember you and it would set off a negative chain reaction unraveling everything you'd tried to do...” Stuff like this makes me grateful for not just my religion, but really any that has a loving Being at its head. Even if time *did* unravel back, I could at least trust that there was a lesson of some kind, or that it was a gift. As for David...even if it ends tragically, it seems like he appreciates what he’s learned about himself in the meantime.

Serenity went to Kaiba?! Seto “I-Have-an-Ego-the-Size-of-Mt-Everest” Kaiba?! Holy crap, that girl DOES have spunk! XD BUT for all his ego he does have a (little) heart, so I’m glad he used it here!

"You're questioning the decisions of a guy with long pink hair?" XD XD XD Excellent point, Duke. That said, you exist in the same universe as Yugi Moto, Pegasus, and Dartz :P

"It would also be good to keep a fair amount of distance between us and the local police.” David’s witty wisdom is comedy gold XD

"I hope [the myths are] not," Serenity said, brushing a piece of hair behind her ear. "Most of them are so creepy or sad." Norse mythology/society Greek stuff. (Although the Greek stuff allowed Disney to give us James Woods’ Hades, who is hilarious XD)

The cabbie who scolded them about not seeing Greek sites was a great touch XD All in all this was an awesome chapter!
MoonlightTyger chapter 12 . 1/24
(I finally made it back to this story! Gah I feel so behind! XD XD XD)

I LOVED seeing Mai in this chapter (I'm behind on YGO too but I'm to her duel with Marik now and even just what I've seen of it, her behavior here makes so much more sense, and I know there's other things I haven't gotten to yet XD). Her interaction with Serenity was really nice; it seemed both of them were able to help the other some.

That twist with the Star, though! I was *not* expecting Serenity to orchestrate that; what a selfless little thing she is T.T I liked her conversation with Snakes, too (though to be fair I'm liking him more and more; I wasn't entirely sure what to make of him in this story at first, but I do like the direction you're going with him). He seems to be a character with layers, too, and those are always interesting to read :)
MoonlightTyger chapter 11 . 12/31/2019
HOLY CRAP that was a good chapter! Wow I don't really know *what* I was expecting Mai to do...but *that* wasn't it!

Snakes *does* have some excellent advice :) There's something to be said for the wisdom of the 1800's! XD Poor Duke and David, though...wondering if the wish will be undone (loved David's impromptu "Useless Fact of the Day" bit with the history of the word 'gas' XD). Still, it's a question that makes one think. I read this chapter a second time through and Diamond Rio's "One More Day" came to mind (a song that now almost inevitably makes me cry! XD)

Hahaha loved Mai's comment to Serenity about her picking Duke over Tristan. The more I see of Cheershipping the more I like it and you write the two of them so nicely :D

Happy New Year's Eve! :D *throws confetti*
MoonlightTyger chapter 10 . 12/17/2019
Eh, Serenity's not missing much with the wine; just a bunch of liquefied rotten fruit. No thank you! (Great to cook with, though! XD)

Ooooohh poor David and Duke, realizing those false memories were real ones! I'm glad the truth finally came out though; Duke's right in that they do need to know. And Serenity...carrying all that and keeping it a secret! And for how long, too? It's been how many months since the story before this one? Geez! Duke has a gem in this girl (luckily, he seems to know it! ;P). And the "hate mail" XD XD XD Oh boy; I can only imagine how *that* reads. Joey, Joey...you should trust Serenity a bit more!

YAY MAI! (I had to look up von Schroeder; creepy-looking dude! XD) I wasn't expecting to see Mai in this story; I've always liked her in the show so I'm excited to see how you write her here :D
MoonlightTyger chapter 9 . 12/9/2019
I love the interaction between Duke and Snakes! The ol' gambler hit the nail on the head with a lot of things :)

Geez...those comments about friends hit hard. Boy do I remember *that* life lesson. Unfortunately actual "friends" are few and far between and for Duke, Yugi-tachi sadly probably mostly qualify as "acquaintances". "Better acquaintances than others" but not quite "friends", either. I think Yugi and Téa (see I'm spelling her name right now XD) especially would shrivel if they realized how much Duke wants to be more in the loop. I also really like the convo about Duke's dad. Darn tootin' he failed his son. David's totally right, both on his dad knowing better *and* on Duke going above and beyond his familial duties. Duke's a lot better person than he gives himself credit for, methinks!

And poor Serenity :( Her wanting to "shelter" Duke and David is not quite the same thing as the way her family shelters her, and she doesn't realize that :( She's protecting him from something that was devastating, while it seems Joey and her mother, though perhaps giving her *adequate* space to grow, are not giving her space to grow as much as she *could* (Joey, at least, certainly not intentionally). There's a big difference between what she's doing and what her family does!

Really enjoyed this chapter :)
MoonlightTyger chapter 8 . 12/9/2019
(I realize my mistake now about Snakes XD He appeared in one of your “Maverick” stories I read so that’s where I thought he was from XD Still a good character though; I like the way you write for him!)

I would really like to like von Tassle, but nah I don’t trust him, even if he’s playing nice now. This is the SECOND life-threatening situation Duke’s found himself recently! Really, what is he doing that he’s attracting *all* the crazies?! XD First drug lords, now crazy gem collectors!
MoonlightTyger chapter 7 . 12/9/2019
It IS the guy from “Maverick”! Resurrections and magic and time-travel, oh my! XD This just gets better and better! I’m liking Snakes here; he seems to have turned over a new leaf from the last time I saw him :D If Serenity trusts him, I can, too...and it never hurts to have someone from another time in your midst, especially from a harsher era like the 1800s (boy HOWDY, couldn’t they tell *us* some stories! 0.0)
MoonlightTyger chapter 6 . 12/9/2019
Snakes, that same guy from “Maverick”?! XD And I really only know him from that *one* story of yours I happened to read like *years* ago now XD He’s one of the LAST characters I’d expect to make an appearance, but you *do* have a habit of taking fandoms a person would never think in a million years would make a good crossover and molding something really memorable out it! XD This story was compelling from the first chapter, but it just got a whole lot *more* so!
MoonlightTyger chapter 5 . 12/8/2019
“The chamber lies deep within the Valley of the Kings, safeguarded by a Pharaoh long passed into the realm of Osiris.” (Lemme take a wild guess at which Pharaoh. Atem, you just wouldn’t know what to do with yourself if you couldn’t protect the world from imminent danger even after you’ve been dead for thousands of years and now officially passed on to the Afterlife, would you?)

“The only way the Star can leave the chamber is if someone pays the price to use it." I think the writers of “Avengers: Infinity War/Endgame” have some crediting they forgot to do ;P (*Story makes an LOTR reference like two paragraphs later* Well good to know the characters and I are on roughly the same page XD)

*Reads the extended description of the Star* Yes, the MCU writers DEFINITELY have some crediting they forgot about! (Also starting to see where this is going! 0.0)

YAY PETE! And ooooohhh boy Joey and his ma are NOT gonna be happy when they find that note! For that matter, Duke is going to have a cow, too!
MoonlightTyger chapter 4 . 12/8/2019
(And suddenly I have the strangest craving for lasagna XD Gotta love a man who can cook!)

Heck YEAH that distraction was awesome (feel sorry for that cab driver, though! 0.0 I doubt he’d have gone into that if he’d known he was gonna get shot at!). Yugi-tachi if you only knew how hard Duke keeps trying to protect you! (That said, I feel like Joey and Tristan will want to punch him if/when they find out he’s doing all this dangerous stuff and not telling them...One: because of Serenity - even though it was her decision - and Two: because they’d want to help! XD)
MoonlightTyger chapter 3 . 12/8/2019
Why no this wasn't a surprisingly morbid chapter at all...I also definitely don't have chills running up and down my spine (and not the good kind you get when Atem pulls a Penalty Game on someone who's really asking for it! XD). The writer in me is very impressed, however! Very well written so I hope this is the reaction you were aiming for XD

More Serenity interaction, yay! I liked the scene between Solomon and Duke, too; Solomon's another character that doesn't get enough credit on-screen. It was nice to see business rivals interacting in a positive way. And the interaction with Yugi, too...appropriately a little awkward, but also appropriately Yugi (who doesn't seem to have a malicious bone in his body). I like that Duke is able to trust him and the others enough with the secret, even though things are a little tense between them right now and he still feels somewhat like an outsider.

I LOVE the conversation at the end between David and Duke! Dukey-boy you ain't mysterious to everybody; David reads you like an open book! XD