Reviews for The Price of One
narellew68 chapter 1 . 9/13/2013
Wonderful writing ... amazing forethought ... leads to a depth of understanding and compassion to the characters' thought and heart processes. Well done!
Guest chapter 7 . 7/13/2012
So glad you posted the link to this on GW. It was a lovely piece I probably wouldn't have stumbled across on my own since I tend to prefer stories with a shippier slant. This, however, was my favorite kind of story - a character study. You had some brilliant moments and pretty turns of phrases. I should have reviewed each chapter individually so I could cut and paste. I particularly enjoyed the chapter with Teal'c. I thought their conversation was so touching. I see him in much the same way you seem to so it was a nice moment. Thanks again for the link. I'm so glad I read this and I'm looking forward to reading more!
SaraBahama chapter 7 . 5/1/2011
This story took a lot of hard work, and you writing is excellent -technically beautiful. There are too many things for me to comment on all here.

The pros: the personal interactions were realistic. You didn't flinch from addressing the tough questions and bringing light to bear on the less desirable traits of our favorite characters (ie -Jack has done some distateful things in his long career. OR Daniel -thinks that Jack is too militarily minded, OR Carter is NOT Mary Poppins). The ending in the final chapter is sweet and within character.

The cons: I had been re-watching this episode and trying to guage Jack's motivations, and I think they are far more complex that the soldier's response. The story seems unkind to Jack and his motivations. Take this as opinion -and I know everybody's got one.

Conclusion: Well written, serious story that has a bit of a dark edge. It leaves me a little gloomy.
roamingstar chapter 4 . 8/7/2010
I think I forgot to add that you are an excellent writer. You're attention to detail makes the characters and scenes come to life in a readers mind.

But I still don't agree with Jack whinning at Sam about how he had to make a horrible decision when it was the military he's serves under that initiated the sequence of events in the first place. Sam and Daniel wanted to learn from it. I'm sure th story has a balance ending, but I'm with Daniel on this one. ;)

Let me say again though. Your writing is outstanding.
roamingstar chapter 4 . 8/7/2010
This is such an interesting story. There's a lot I would love to comment on, but too long. I love the warring intellectual philosophies of Daniel and Sam vs Jack and the military which western philosophy finds distasteful. It also brings home that the character of Carter is so much more interesting and thoroughly complex. By nature, she is just like Daniel, but her chosen career forces her to adopt the Jack/military views. I'd hate to see Carter become less 'Daniel' and more 'Jack' because imagine a world of just shoot first and questions later, even if its all in the name of protecting our world. Especially, when we create those situation in the first place. Afterall, whose decision is it to send that probe in the first place? The Military command. I'd say it was right for Sam and Daniel to want to communicate to an entity whose world was innocent in all of this. A world that SGC inadvertantly destroyed. Really, whose the real monster? Curiosity is what makes the human species so adaptable and so full of potential. It does need to be tempered though. To be nonest, I could live without the Jack's of the world, but I'd hate to be without the Daniels and Sams of the world.
Jousting Elf with a Sabre chapter 7 . 7/15/2010
I loved this story. It's a fantastic snapshot on the inner workings of Sam, and the intricacies of the two sides of her that she has to balance. Great job. I enjoyed reading it a ton!

Jousting Elf with a Sabre
Soleya chapter 7 . 5/28/2010
You write Awkward Jack with incredible acumen. :-) The last chapter was my favorite, but it was all pretty awesome.
jmj101 chapter 7 . 4/25/2010
Absolutely brilliant. You depicted the characters amazingly... just superb.
BettyHall223 chapter 7 . 4/17/2010
Very good story and well written as only you can do.
Hockey17 chapter 7 . 4/17/2010
Another lovely story - you are so good at this
D.K. Rhoswen chapter 7 . 4/16/2010
This was simply fantastic. You wrote the complexities of the situation so beautifully. Really really amazing job i enjoyed every moment of this ]

3 Keaira
i.m. nell chapter 7 . 4/16/2010
Thank you for your insight into what could have been the feelings and thoughts behind Jack's actions and Sam's reaction to the Entity epi.
Kaytee33 chapter 7 . 4/16/2010
You're right, but I hope that disecting the cost of her curiosity doesn't force Sam to hold back!
ScruffyLovin chapter 7 . 4/15/2010
Aw. This was a very emotional chapter with a sweet ending. :) Again; AW.
Ellie 5192 chapter 7 . 4/15/2010
OMG OMG OMG *bounces* You took my hint, raised it with awesomeness and doubled the bet to completely wipe me out with the amazingness of this chapter.

I was so blown away, I just used a very complicated poker metaphor and a word that doesn't even exist.

Thank you thank you thank you. You truly are talented in weeding out the complexities of an issue, and the revelations of this chapter moved me so deeply I'm going to go now and read it again.

Thank you!