Reviews for Thoughts at Midnight
LBZIP chapter 1 . 3/23
Outstanding ! As far as I'm concerned, you articulated the Doctor's fear, panic, and helplessness wonderfully. I also liked the part about Sky's voice sounding like an actress on a soap- I actually thought the same thing when I saw this episode. This was always a favorite episode of mine; creepy, scary, and some unexplainable unknown is still lurking around.
ThePro-LifeCatholic chapter 1 . 8/27/2015
I'm shivering as I read this. So brilliantly done. I don't really have anything else to add, except to applaud you for the originality of the work. Looking into the Doctor's mind, describing him actually forgetting speech...words and their meanings...I've never read a "Midnight" ficlet with those characteristics until now. In short, Fantastic work. Molto Bene!...
Molto Bene.
Guest chapter 1 . 7/4/2015
Fascinating first person take on the horror of that episode. Dear God. Poor Ten. The mind-raping part is done so chillingly in this fic.
Though I don't think the ending is accurate — he's not curious about the creature. Usually he would be, but this time he just gets them to close down the place without ever trying to find out what the creature really is. Which goes to show how terrifying the experience was for him.
AnitaHoward chapter 1 . 6/23/2015
This was brilliant! Absolutely brilliant!
I love that part where he still wants to know what the thing was. It's so Tenth Doctor. His curiosity is insatiable; he knows it, and really can't help himself. He'd probably do it all over again and he knows that too, and it disturbs him.

I really enjoyed this. His thoughts as they become more disjointed, and he begins to lose understanding of the simplest words. Really chilling. A great addition to the episode, where you can only see his expression but don't really know all he's thinking. Five stars!
rusty o'neill chapter 1 . 12/11/2014
This was absolutely amazing! I love the twist you took on this with the Doctor getting less and less coherent as his words are stolen. I was literally in tears by the end, and I was freaking out even though I knew it was going to be okay. I love Midnight and at the same time I can hardly stand to watch it because I get so emotional. It's one of the rare few times the Doctor actually seems vulnerable and maybe even helpless.
JackSpicer2311 chapter 1 . 10/16/2013
poor Doctor! *snuggles him somewhat protectively*
Guest chapter 1 . 8/29/2013
That was the best "Midnight" related fic I have read, I loved how you wrote it as if you were in The Doctor's head. I also liked that he lost words (makes sense, but you made it very chilling, nice work!) thanks for a wonderful read!
tenthrose chapter 1 . 8/16/2013
poor Doctor! *snuggles him somewhat protectively*
somebodyknightmerlinalready chapter 1 . 11/24/2012
Wow. This is probably the best midnight themed story I've read so far! Great job!
the Twice-ler chapter 1 . 5/19/2012
This. Is. BRILLIANT.

I absolutely love the Doctor's reactions. You stuck to what happens in the episode and yet you gave us some incredible insight into the Doctor's thoughts. I love how you really gave some thought to what happens to him and realized that he was more than likely incoherent in his thoughts. It makes perfect sense and it's so delightfully angsty and horrifying.

The bit at the end that you inserted, pretty much the only thing that really wasn't in the episode, with "the obligatory 'woooh' motion" - that's both funny and sad at the same time and it always makes me smile. Love it.

"Make me… I'm losing it… I'm losing my mind as I sit here… Give it back, please. Please give it back."

"But Rose doesn't. Rose is gone, gone forever, and the next instant I have no idea who this Rose person is."

"My WORDS. For a moment, I'm furious. Absolutely, uncompromisingly livid. Then I abruptly forget what both of the phrases mean, and my white-hot rage fades into the kind of fuzzy, confused alarm that an ant probably feels when a leaf falls in its path."

"I didn't see it, but she pulled Sky over to the door, and... How do I keep getting perfect strangers to kill themselves to protect me? Really brilliant, isn't it? What a spectacular talent I have."

"Anyway, I'm fine. I'm always fine. Fantastic. Brilliant. Have a jelly baby. Woooooh."

The poor thing. I love him. Thank you for being so brilliant and writing this.

Like, alas-we-never-do (col name by the way), the only problem I have is with the misspelling of "molto bene." Other than that, this fic is wonderful and really adds a whole new level of complexity to the already-brilliant episode. Bravo, madam, bravo.
feyathene chapter 1 . 10/14/2011
I really, really like this. This is probably the best "Doctor's take on Midnight" I've ever come across.

. . . and yes, I'm kinda going on a Midnight kick at the mo', so I've read quite a few.

It actually goes through what it might be like for him to be ~literally~ losing his voice. Most others still have him perfectly coherent while under the 'goblin's' thrall. I especially liked his reactions to the creature stealing his expressions, his anger seems very in character.

All in all an excellent piece. Well done.
BlueNeutrino chapter 1 . 6/23/2011
I watched this episode again last night and had the urge to read some fanfiction about it afterwards, and I've got to say this is one of the best Midnight-based fics I've come across. Very intense and superbly written.
Commander Ael chapter 1 . 1/16/2011
Brilliant. Absolutely brilliant.
alasweneverdo chapter 1 . 12/31/2010
In one word: wow.

And now I'll elaborate, I suppose.

I was watching this episode again tonight, and even though I knew what would happen it just tore me up inside. The Doctor always lives in the end, but there's that one moment where you think he might not, when they're pulling him through the aisle and his shoe catches on the seat but you don't dare to hope they'll let him go. It's frightening, and the way you wrote this keeps it just as terrifying and emotional.

I love his insistence that they're smarter than this, that they know better, wanting to think humans are the brilliant things he says we are, when sometimes we're really just... stupid apes. So now he's shaken and he's in denial about everything, and you've just captured it perfectly.

To be honest, I wish I didn't have any criticism for this fic, because it's just gorgeous, but I can't overlook the misspelling of "molto bene." Otherwise, I hope you know that this is just really well-written and I am extremely impressed. You even slipped Rose in there without making her the focus or detracting from the plot! I love it. I absolutely love it. Five stars.
Vilinye chapter 1 . 12/27/2010
Wow. That one was incrediably, increadibly scary. And sad at the same time. Especially the ending