Reviews for Mean Streets
Stefni chapter 1 . 5/17/2010
You have a wonderful way with words. It's so easy to see the escalation of war as well as the reality and horror.
Rayneken chapter 1 . 4/13/2010
Oh... I really, really like it. You managed to mix the dramtic elements and elegant wording quite well. Good job. Very good job.

omasuoniwabanshi chapter 1 . 4/5/2010
"In the end there are no true victors".

You really capture the way the ordinary citizens of a war torn area feel. This could be Bosnia/Serbia or any of a dozen blighted areas of the world. You bring out the pathos of war very well.
Murasahki-chan chapter 1 . 4/4/2010
Very telling use of the epithet "terrorists." How far do you go before you become what you seek to destroy? And your last phrase puts me strongly in mind of something I've often said of the Irish troubles, "Take away the Brits, and the streets would still run with blood, Catholic and Protestant, and all of it Irish, red as an angry sun."

You have taken this simple, unremarked medium-fanfic-and made it into a poignard thrust into the world's own troubles.

I do so love your writing.
sirensbane chapter 1 . 4/3/2010
This is very well-written. I like your last line especially:

"In the end there are no true victors, and the streets of Kyoto run red with blood." It captures the hopelessness of the Bakumatsu. Thanks for writing.
amamiya chapter 1 . 4/3/2010
'The Untouchables' as a source of inspiration? That is really cool. You've been so skillful in setting the tone of this piece; your writing here is spare and lean, yet it reveals so much. I enjoyed reading this; thanks for sharing.
sueb262 chapter 1 . 4/3/2010
WOW THIS IS WONDERFUL! Breathtaking and thrilling and terrifying, it sweeps us into the black, bloody night, and we, too, find ourselves trembling at the thought of the unstoppable assassin, backing into corners in the hope of escaping his notice.

Since I love all sides in the conflict, it's really satisfying to be able to place myself alongside the glorious Shinsengumi and watch from behind those blue-and-white-coated backs.

Thanks for this excellent piece.
Syolen chapter 1 . 4/3/2010
I love the progession in this and how each part is short, concise and straight to the point. Great work!
Warg chapter 1 . 4/3/2010
The blatant progression is so well crafted.. You can't help but be drawn in. The numbering serves quite a fine purpose as well, rising in tempo, in tone and in the sharp turns. Chilling, how you end the 2nd and the 4th.. Love the ending as well.. very nice very concise read.. ty..