Reviews for A Helping Hand
Cassandra30 chapter 2 . 12/8/2010
Well done!
Cassandra30 chapter 1 . 12/8/2010
Well written! I totally agree about Molly Weasley.
Swallow B chapter 2 . 10/26/2010
This was touching and fun, with your own brand of humour that is becoming familiar to me. Nice characterisations of everybody. I love Willa ! Luna would be a good apprentice for her, with her independant spirit and taste for solitude. (I had been thinking of Milly Bulstrode, but that's my thing.)

Good point about Molly not befriending Luna before she went to school. I expect Xeno was not her cup of tea.

And, to add another capital X, two lines that made me laugh :

"what's a Xanadu?" and "bless Molly while we're about it".
Ysilme chapter 2 . 4/11/2010
And so lovely the story continues. Just the perfect follow-up on the first part, and I'm only sad the tale ends here. My favourite part was Minerva's thinking ahead and providing a multiple-choice-letter *g*.
Kelly Chambliss chapter 2 . 4/11/2010
I think things will work out for everyone, but I love the way you make them address the real issues. All four of them are approaching huge life changes, and they'll have difficulties no matter how much they might love one another. Even the center of one's life can be irritating at close quarters day after day, and we see that reality here.

You do such a good job with Luna's calm, sometimes disconcerting centeredness; Willa's thoughts make such perfect sense (and I so admire her willingness to say the difficult things); I love Minerva's plans for Neville and the House. And our friend the gargoyle. . .well, he's a triumph of hopeless cheer. Love him.

/I told you so. I meant it. It's just … I wanted it when it wasn't possible. So that made it all right./

I know exactly how she feels!

/Willa firmly intended to sell her own place./

Another fine example of her perceptiveness - it's just what she needs to do.

/she painstakingly drew a large circle – well, it was roundish, at least./

Haha! I adore the ticky boxes.

Such a wonderfully satisfying story all around. (Though I might not go so far as to bless Molly.)
tetleybag chapter 2 . 4/11/2010
Such a treat to read this again! I love every word:

- the beautifully-painted old lady love with its warmth, humour, conflict, and intimacy - and of course no less appreciation of the various uses of motley-coloured ribbons

- the old ladies themselves: wonderfully-butch and untameable Willa, and wonderfully-stern and equally untameable Minerva

- Mr Carmichael, who got off lightly

- Neville and Luna, and Neville/Luna

- the gargoyle, and his response to Neville

- "I could do with a bit of holding you."

And the way you pick up the beginning of Speeping Dragons at the end makes us come full circle just perfectly.

(Acromantula sting...seriously, the /things/ we do to our characters...;))
Kelly Chambliss chapter 1 . 4/4/2010
I love this story; it's the perfect sequel. Everything so precisely-tuned, from the inspired Neville-gargoyle conversation to poor Mr. Carmichael to the supposed-to-be-tartan-ribbons to Wilhelmina's wonderful interior voice. And Minerva...ah.

/bugger the gargoyle/ - Argh! Minerva's not the only one who visualizes, as you well know /g/

There are so many fun details that fill out your story-verse: the poetry passwords, Neville's thoughts about Myrtle, the gargoyle's hilarious thoughts about Neville, the "Victorian monstrosity" (and its absence), the tea banter (which has inspired me to get up and make some Minvera-level brew).
Ysilme chapter 1 . 4/4/2010
I wanted to "save" this for after "Sleeping Dragons" (which I still haven't finished, so much shame on me), but couldn't resist when you put it online today. I had so much fun reading it, what a lovely, lovely story of such a wonderful couple. As I told tetley already, Willa used to be kind of a Harry Potter blank for me all the time, but you both are filling it so wonderfully. Willa really came to life for me here, and the relationship of the two is so delightful.

And there were so many details I really enjoyed, too. First, the gargoyle conversation and the character of the gargoyle - brilliant! :o) And then all the innuendos later on, to Carmichael and about ... *rofl* Oh, the Victorian nightshirt! *giggle* Perfect! And the Luna-Cameo was wonderful, as was the rant about Molly.
moira of the mountain chapter 1 . 4/4/2010
Oh what fun! I'd forgotten this lovely tale and it's a delight to find it posted here. The relationship between these two strong women is so well depicted. Dialouge sturdy and believeable just like the characters, with a lovely balance of humor and tenderness. I love how briskly and efectively Min puts that young Healer in his proper place. Fine job, and it was my pleasure to offer my humble beta opinions!