Reviews for Twenty Five Miles or Thousands of Miles
Fi Suki Saki chapter 1 . 2/3

I'm going to cry...!

That was painful ! just think about it is so painful !

From both side...
jambi chapter 1 . 7/15/2014
I loved your story and just wanted to say that I was so glad to find someone else who hates Sam bashing and believes that Sam and Dean are equally right and wrong. Sam gets the short end of the stick on a lot of things, it really bugs me when people don't take his side into consideration.
zekeschance chapter 1 . 9/26/2011
That was one of the saddest episodes ever. Ever. I can't believe Dean never thought the whole heaven thing was manipulated just to keep them at odds with each other. I so agree with everything in your A/N. I feel the same way about Sam and Dean. Sam is not selfish. Dean is not always right. But I love both brothers. Because you can't have one without the other. And for Dean to throw away the amulet the way he did? By waiting to make sure Sam was looking? That was one of the cruelest things I've ever seen Dean do. But who is always ready to forgive and forget? Sam. Loved how you wrote this. Loved it. Thanks so much!
azerjaban chapter 1 . 7/27/2011
Thnx for the read. I agree it's not all Sams fault either.
CeCe Away chapter 1 . 10/5/2010
Beautifully written. Would have been nice to see them really say something like this. Just lovely.
rahne2 chapter 1 . 4/17/2010
Had to comment on this as soon as I read it. I really liked Sam's understanding that this version of Heaven couldn't really be on the up and up. (Zachariah with his hands all over Mary? Gross!) I know how sensitive Dean is to any sign his family didn't love him the way he loved them, but come on, boy, how easy is it to manipulate you?) I've found most tags just assume the whole thing was real, but I'm with you, this was clearly manipulated to pick out the memories most likely to bother the other brother. (Dean's memory of comforting Mary just emphasized to Sam how long his brother had been covering for their father, ande all Sam's memories were the ones most likely to hurt Dean.) "He didn't know how he'd ended up being the only one who had any faith left." Pretty much sums this episode up. I'm getting a bit tired of Dean's inability to see his brother as he is, instead of how he thinks he was.

That brings me to the other reason for this review. Amen! I'm really getting tired of so many people who can't seem to understand Sam. Like you, I really love him, and I understand him, a lot better than I understand Dean, frankly. (Probably because, in temperment, personality, strengths, and weaknesses,I pretty much AM Sam.) As far as I'm concerned the only thing he did wrong after Dean's death was lie to him when he came back. So when he is accused of being 'selfish', I just have to sigh. Who wouldn't look selfish in comparison to Dean's utter selflessness? And there is absolutely nothing wrong with it!

Most people tend to fall into 2 categories when it comes to their approach to dealing with the world. Dean is an extreme example of a Giver, a nuturer, a caretaker and protector. His happiness lies in service and relationship, both to those he loves and to ANYONE who needs him. Sam is a Taker, someone who sees himself clearly, knows who he is and what he wants, and goes after it. His happiness lies in living up to his asperations and doing work at which he can excel. He doesn't want his loved ones to need him so much as be proud of him. He gives his heart to only those few he feels he can trust and open up to, but when he does the bond is soul deep.

And they need each other. Takers need Givers to curb their tendencies toward hubris and detachment, to remind them of their "better angels" from time to time. Givers need Takers to protect them from themselves, to shield them from a world that can too easily break their hearts and suck them dry. To remind them that they deserve to have needs and dreams of their own. To stand up for themselves occasionally and remember that true happiness can't come from the outside. Neither can be whole or fulfilled without the other, nor is one "better" or "worse". Without Takers nothing would get done, no progress made in science or the arts or just about any material human endevour. And without Givers our societies would be harsh and sterile, without true compassion or grace.

Both brothers love fiercely, just differently. And both were willing to give their lives and souls to do what they felt was necessary and right, however different their motives and methods. They need to see see themselves through the other's eyes, to understand that they were both right and both wrong in what they've done. And I'm afraid that Sam is a lot farther along with that than Dean, at this point. I don't think I'll ever forgive Dean for not going with Sam against Lilith when he begged him to. Nor can I give him a pass on his mistaken belief that Sam "betrayed him", and "chose a demon over his own brother". Sam chose to give his life and soul to try and kill Lilith and save the world rather than give in to his brother's irrational need to save him from making the sacrifice, even if the world would die in hellfire because of it. Remember, he thought killing Lilith was the goal for all of them. When Dean says "I told you so", someone needs to remind him that Ruby never lied to Sam. She told him he was the only one who could kill Lilith, and she could teach him how. That was absolutely true. The angels lied to Dean much more disastrously. Dean's heart is broken because Sam didn't love him enough to never leave him, even for school? What about Sam, growing up in a family where his strengths and skills were constantly derided as unimportant, and he had no possible chance of living up to his brother's standards. I'm hoping that Dean's epiphany in Point of No Return brings him to a better understanding of the man he raised his brother to be, and of his own worth. Sorry, my rant got to be a lot longer than your's! Thanks for the great fics all these years.
Mizpah chapter 1 . 4/12/2010
I stumbled across this while going through the favourites list of KKBelvis, so I knew if Karen favourited it, it must be good.

And I wasn't disappointed. It was heartbreakingly real, a mirror to the brokenness of the Winchester brothers at this point in time. I'm a Dean woman, but my heart shattered for Sam when Dean let that amulet drop into the rubbish bin. And I firmly believe that he would have picked it up, holding onto the hope that not only could they get through this together, but that he would be able to return his gift to his beloved big brother once the dust settles.

And I completely agree with you about the way fandom has been going since season 4. As I said, I'm a Dean woman, but I've always had a huge soft spot for Sammy, even when it looked like he was going completely off the rails. But Sam wasn't all to blame - Dean wasn't exactly squeaky clean in the lead-up to the apocalypse.

My beloved Deany-babe tends to hit first and ask questions later, and I can understand Sam retreating behind a wall of lies when faced with such a reaction. I would, too. And there was also Sam's biggest fear - what if Dean saw him only as a monster, and fulfilled his father's final order? Couple that with the fact that Sam is very much John's son in regard to being single-minded and revenge-driven, well...*shrugs* wonder things turned out the way they did.

Also, they had help - they were being coerced and conned by both angels and demons towards an end game that only the higher powers knew about. The Winchesters had a little help in creating that rift between them. Heaven has as much to answer for as Hell, in my opinion.

Back to the story - thank you for sharing this. I thoroughly enjoyed it, and I'm glad your dry spell is over.

Kind regards,

masondixon chapter 1 . 4/9/2010
Dean loves Sam and always has. And always will. I am certain of that. And both boys need to be together for this show to have the heart and soul it started out with. I believe Sam will be there for Dean now like Dean has been there for Sam all of his life.

A good job with your story. I enjoyed it. Thank You.
jenilee chapter 1 . 4/8/2010
Thank you! Not only was that perfect in its pain but you hit everything I keep thinking about this manipulated ruse of a Heaven that Zachariah created. And I couldn’t help but think when the amulet hit the trash bin how Zachariah had just won.

I haven’t read any tags/codas to this eppy and doubt I’ll read many others. You, I know I can trust to be fair to the boys even when they don’t deserve it.

"Sam didn't know how long he could go on saying "I love you" to Dean if all Dean ever heard was "I never loved you. I left you and I'll do it again."-This makes me want to cry because it rings so true. Sam has made so many mistakes for sure, but he is trying.

But Dean has never let go of that hurt and anger at Sam, his Dad, or I imagine his Mom for that matter and I doubt he even realises it. Dean can’t move on and neither can Sam because Dean’s not letting him.

And this is not meant to belittle either boy. It’s just an observation ( my disclaimer- so I don’t get hate mail from people who read the

Honestly as painful as the episode was I really liked it. I’ve liked this whole season actually. LOL I’m like the only one but I’ve enjoyed watching the story unfold and I can still see hope and a way this’ll work out. Hey, wait a few years for a few epic fantasy series to be completed and you learn patience and to see the big picture. LOL

Great story as usual and OMG I didn’t have to use the dictionary once! You’re slacking girl! LOL
chasingbluefish chapter 1 . 4/7/2010
-cheers and second's your AN II- THANK FUCKING GOD SOMEONE ELSE SAID IT.

XD pardon the language...but it's really getting to me. I said in a comment on another coda that I was glad there were some Sam ones coming out because right after the episode they were all about how broken dean was...and cas [rightfully so] but all I kept thinking was 'BUT THE NECKLACE GUYS!'

And your coda was wonderful. The way Sam's thoughts worked, a lot of his/your deductions were just along the same lines as mine. I was so jacked when Ash showed up and as glad as I was to see him there was that ' convenient' and 'seriously pamela?'...anyways. LOVE IT.
Onari chapter 1 . 4/6/2010
Hey there! I loved your story and I totally agree with your rant. I mean, yeah, I've been mad at Sam lately, but I've also been mad at Dean. Both are screwing up, not listening to each other, not seeing each other...even after being told that they're soulmates.

I don't do boards or forums, though, because I know recalcitrant Sam!Girls and Dean!Girls will get on my nerves. It's so stupid to side like that with one of them, like, what you said: "Sam is a selfish SOB" "Dean is a controlling, self-righteous tyrant"... It's like they haven't understood the show at all!

Ok, enough of my ranting!

Thanks for sharing!

L xx
Lisa Paris chapter 1 . 4/5/2010
Gosh - I found this strangely believable and in-keeping, because of the way Sam has always looked at the world through his own, rather one-dimensional pair of glasses. Once again, it's all about how he feels and how he thinks Dean should feel and behave, in response to the views of heaven they were shown.

It would be really great if Sam actually tried to understand things from Dean's POV just once in a while. Dean knows Sam would never have left Jess and 'normal' behind if the demon hadn't stepped in and ended things so tragically at Stanford. The only reason Sam rejoined Dean on the road was to seek his version of revenge. Same with the whole Lilith and Ruby thing - it was never about Dean, simply revenge.

I really hope Sam does love Dean enough to help him regain some belief again. I guess I hope he can be honest enough to realise at last, that it isn't enough to fuel your own sense of honour and self-worth by noble words and grand gestures. It's about being there when people need you for the small stuff, or the dark stuff when they're afraid and having nightmares. And then there's giving up the last bowl of lucky charms, and insisting on the bed nearest the door. About taking your little brother to the fireworks and being bowled over by the look on his face.

Oh Sam . . . sigh . . .

Thanks for this, enjoyed it a lot.
Star Mage1 chapter 1 . 4/5/2010
This was wonderful and I like seeing stories where one of the boys realize that Heaven was rigged. I hope you do Dean's response to Sam's speach.
Sue Pokorny chapter 1 . 4/5/2010
This was probably the most hopeful, yet honest, tag to this episode I've read. I also believe the memories they both were shown were manipulated by Zachariah for one purpose - to isolate Dean and make him believe he had nothing left to fight for. I hope that Sam has some happy memories of his childhood with Dean and his Dad, and I like how you explained that. Of course, from Dean's perspective, he's given everything and gotten nothing in return. He's been left so many times that it would be all he could see, especially considering what they were shown and Sam's reaction to it. He's still trying to get over Sam lying to him for a year and choosing Ruby. He's forgiven a lot, but apparently not forgotten a thing. I can relate to that.

Of course, Sam has an uphill battle to prove himself to his brother. He's kind of shot himself in the foot and is going to have to get past his selfish nature to see things from Dean's side this time. I'm hoping he can. They can't give in. That would negate the entire 5 year struggle, right?

Anyway, wonderful tag and it actually served to bolster my hope for the boys. Dean may be at rock bottom, but as long as one of them is fighting, they can both win.

supernaturalsammy67 chapter 1 . 4/5/2010