Reviews for The First Taste is the Sweetest
Tonnerre chapter 1 . 10/28/2011
Insta fave and completely worth it. You have a true gift and have described Norman's addiction in ways anyone could understand. I'm just sad there's not more.
xXAngelOfSweetDeathXx chapter 1 . 1/18/2011
*real username, can't login* wow... I love this! I always wondered 'bout that scratch on his cheek, now i at least have an idea of an answer :D i don't think you wrote this beautifully. I KNOW you wrote it beautifully and people who don't think so, well they can get effed ;D my fave character and i accidentally killed him when i played. I almost cried
BloomxPerish chapter 1 . 9/19/2010
This is just stunning. Firstly your writing is such a pleasure to read- it flows so perfectly! I love how you explore Norman's character- I personally feel the game lacks in exploring this- his story seems so impersonal, less emotional in the game.

I love this as a standalone piece- everything about it- the atmosphere, the characterisation and the pace. And it moved me- you've made me feel more affection towards Norman's character than any of my three playtroughs, even despite him being my favourite character.
niki-nikster chapter 1 . 8/15/2010
Oh my God...this is flawless...and I hope David Cage is reading this. This is the perfect plot for the DLC. .it. The descriptions are amazing and you really get into the skin of the character. Why aren't you writing novels, girl? You'll definitely find me standing somewhere in the queue, book in hand, for the signing! *Bows in respect* Please ghost-write my fan fic! :D
ghost-wiring chapter 1 . 7/2/2010
Great story! That was a unique take on how he got the scar, something I would never have thought of. I like the way you delve into his addiction as well. You're a great story teller!
netherlady chapter 1 . 6/7/2010
My first Heavy Rain fic and I loved it. Your writing is smooth and I loved how you represented the dilemma of Norman's addiction.

His frailty was portrayed strongly overcoming his rational thinking. However, his weakness was a result of his 'angelic' nature making him the ultimate hero who sacrifices himself for others. Personally, I prefer a more complex approach to his addiction triggers since, usually, human motives are complex and have multiple dimensions. A massive ego and a strong competitive streak would have given Norman a more realistic appearance.

I think this fic has the potential of a series. In this one-shot, Norman's fall has just begun but he is yet to hit the bottom which is the ultimate ending of any addiction. During the fall, Norman's effort to escape the addiction and his continuous failure would tense things up.

Good Luck _
mlast chapter 1 . 5/9/2010
i loved it. the words you used throughout were simple yet effective, and the reasoning you used for norman using the triptocaine was very believable. you used some good metaphors and comparisons too, especially liked this one: "The scales are weighted with black and blue, and my whole life is finding the balance between them." i can imagine him using any means to solve crimes and be the best he can.

the story that his scar is a constant reminder of his imprisonment is good too.

well done, this was a very, very well written story.
MindOverMatter chapter 1 . 4/8/2010
I loved this! Really love how vivid your writing is and the way you wrote his first breakdown was wow. The backstory you gave Nahmin was believable and really interesting and made a lot of sense. You also captured a lot of his voice too.

I guess you probably could've given him a little more personality; he's very purpose driven in this fic but a little more personality could've helped us connect more to his plight of him.

I liked how he discovered that he was addicted to triptocaine. His crazy breakdown reminded me of the opening scene of "Apocalypse Now" where the guy gets all crazy and punches a mirror and there's blood everywhere. Pretty neat.

A little mistake: "reading his palm wide as THOUGHT the change"

Great! I hope to see more of your work in the future.
Vampuric Spider chapter 1 . 4/8/2010
A very well written flashback. The way you wrote was so convincing I could feel all of Norman's pain and joy (if you could call the addiction that.) I love how engaging you were with the reader, and I hope you continue writing this into something more.
We Stole Vodka From The Optic chapter 1 . 4/7/2010
This was great.

So in detail, so sad and hopeless and so in touch with the whole emotions present in Heavy Rain. I very much so felt the need to go play Heavy Rain again.

Thank you for writing this, it's great.
nellautumngirl chapter 1 . 4/7/2010
Your story is perfect :)

So yeah, the others have already said all I think :D I would love to read more about tormented, sweet Naahmaan from you.

Although I see he is a loner, I always felt so sorry for him.. Maybe someone could show up who is kind towards him for once and wants to help him? Someone who is linked to a case for example. But that's just a thought of course, feel free to write whatever you like, I'm looking forward to it :)
Waterfelon chapter 1 . 4/7/2010
Very nice! I read the first few lines and was instantly absorbed into the atmosphere of heavy rain once again. You did a very good job with this, I got a sense of who Jayden was, as although I liked him as a character in the game I couldn't really connect with him.

The little monologues you do from Jayden's mind are well done, you capture his mindset and accent quite well. Nice references to his piano playing and so on as well. It was all a very convincing representation of the character and I think you captured splendidly what would likely have happened in these situations.

One slight plot hole though, after the Nathanial section in the game, if you shoot him, that's the first time Jayden has ever killed anyone, so yeah a little continuity hitch but that's only a very tiny detail and I'm just being a little pedantic :)

One thing I did pick up on, is that the whole affair came across as a little rushed. I barely had time to imagine the surroundings and so on in each scene before I was whisked away to a further section of the flashback.

But overall these are minor gripes. A great effort, sir. I take my hat off to you!
Phantaz-magoria chapter 1 . 4/7/2010
Holy cow. That was freaking amazing! I loved it! So dark and gloomy and so plausible. Hell, that's probably the most realistic 'Why did Nahmen start taking drugs' story I've seen so far. Super cool! I especially loved the line about his life being balanced on scales of blue and back. That was excellently poetic. I'm not sure how you would continue this fic, it's fairly perfect as a one shot, but I love reading your stuff, so whatever you write, I'll be sure to read. )
GrimmXEchelonXShipperXNut chapter 1 . 4/7/2010
HOLY SNAP! No words...I have NOTHING! Lol. This...Woo. Has to be one of the best Heavy Rain Fics I've EVER read! And it's about Norman so that makes it even better! WOO! Lol.

I really like this story about how he got his little scar...this story may pop into my head every time I play the game now!

I'd really like you to do a Blake/Norman story. Not really sure on a plot but I REALLY love your writing so I guess anything would be fine with me!
BURN-ALL-360s chapter 1 . 4/6/2010
Well... where do I start? You made me sign for the first time in three years, that is quite a feat. I don't remember having a reason to do that before.

This is so... so PERFECT! Every single word is how I would imagine it actually happening in the game, you captured the panic better than I thought simply words COULD! The music plays such a big part in the intense emotions of Heavy Rain, how did you do this with only WORDS?

I am stunned, staggered, and a million other words I'm too lazy to find a thesaurus for. THIS is Normans' backstory to me now, nothing will change that. This fits everything in place, to the point where I am sure my next play-through will be more enjoyable because of it...

I was only thinking last night that it was nice of them to leave Normans' scar completely for us to explain the story behind, then it suddenly hit me I hadn't checked to see if anyone had written any fanfiction for Heavy Rain. This was the first thing that caught my eye, and I have never had a better start to anything as this.

The fact that I was only expecting three or four Heavy Rain fics to exist and there is nearly thirty here made my... uh, would still up at 5 AM and no sleep mean it would be making my day or making my night...? -ANYWAY, that fact alone made me very VERY happy. But THIS has probably made the majority of the rest of the time I will be playing Heavy Rain, which will be at LEAST a year.

(I don't have the money to just get bored of things so brilliant, which I think is a good thing.)

Oh, sorry! I've just left a review over 2,0 characters in length! THIS is why I don't do this kind of thing, I just end up cluttering up the place... "

I am not going to demand another chapter just because I took the time to leave a review, I cannot tell you where to go with this story next because I can't see anywhere you DIDN'T go, but I DO demand that you feel VERY accomplished and give yourself a hug for me.

A big one, because I'd hug the crap out of you right now if I could and I don't care how creepy that sounds. I hope all my praise will provide you with a couple of DAYS worth of joy, because my hands are sore now. My PS3's wireless keyboard is a lot more comfortable than this lump of plastic attached to my computer... T_T