Reviews for Lexical Insufficiency
Ccanadensis chapter 1 . 6/12/2011
I adore that song, and the title of the song / description of an amateur "abusing their thesaurus privileges" that it inspired. :)
TheLifeILive chapter 1 . 4/15/2010
That was beautiful. I loved it.

"...but somehow she found them all juvenile, as if an amateur writer were abusing their thesaurus privileges." Haha, too true.

Leah
Sarah9488 chapter 1 . 4/7/2010
Very sweet, very fluffy... just perfect. Especially the last sentence.
memento1 chapter 1 . 4/6/2010
Hee. I really enjoyed this. It reminds me of all those wordless moments, the grandness that cannot be described, and how somehow the simplest things are so powerful and so unimaginably hard to replicate or get across. A lovely little nugget.
jsiebert chapter 1 . 4/6/2010
Great creative story, as a librarian I love thesaurus! This really illustrates the intellectual process of trying to find the right word for eye color and provides insight into writing and Bones.

Have you considered a sequel perhaps about a dictionary which I am guessing is another writer's tool? It might even been a forensic dictionary or at least a medical dictionary.

More stories please..

Jean
daisy07 chapter 1 . 4/6/2010
Very clever and perceptive.
Sacrum chapter 1 . 4/6/2010
How do you do it? Seems like you are never in Brennan's position - your writing seems so effortless, but so packed with litteral nutrients and vitamins! I love your writing and I will always be looking forward to the next one. Thanks for avoiding the same cliche storylines that are a dime a dozen.
TemperTemper chapter 1 . 4/5/2010
*There was no way to put real words to the ebb and flow of existence, the gradual rise of light and color, the swift, glittering spark of that one look, that one glance, that stolen moment. Stolen from the shore, or the sky, or the corners of his upturned lips.*

I love that. And of course Brennan would find describing the imaginary impossible when the reality is so perfect *g*

Eyes are so difficult yet compellingly necessary to do justice to, aren't they? 3
PhoenixTears89 chapter 1 . 4/5/2010
I definitely know what you mean about describing eyes! Just saying "blue eyes" or "brown eyes" seems to be oversimplifying, but incredibly overused, melodramatic phrases like "sapphire orbs" make me want to hurt somebody.

Luckily for my blood pressure, your writing is always beautiful even in its relative simplicity. )
thisgirltries chapter 1 . 4/5/2010
Like always; nice job!
Agatha-Naomi chapter 1 . 4/5/2010
nicely done!
DarkArts27 chapter 1 . 4/5/2010
Once again you've created a short masterpiece that manages to create beautiful scenes and ideas, focusing only on a small moment of time. This was *brilliant* and a lovely piece to read :)
lizook chapter 1 . 4/5/2010
Oh look, I just got an alert in my e-mail! ;)

I love how effortlessly you put us in her frame of mind, the frustration is clear, captivating, and something many of us can identify with. (I'm suddenly remembering fighting with some "junk words" earlier...)

I really like how she *knows* eyes are hardest for her to describe and yet she can't help it. And this line Stolen from the shore, or the sky, or the corners of his upturned lips.

That one little pronoun, something that could be so easily missed, says... no, screams... so much. Of what she's thinking, who she's picturing... Love it.

"She didn't notice the chopsticks, though. She was elsewhere, lost somewhere in between the rolling tide and the surge of a burning, endless night. He smiled, the corners of his eyes crinkling and the wordlessness that no lexicon could ever enclose, enclosed her."

Beautiful closing image of him standing there grinning as Brennan allows herself to be lost in the moment. I love it when she allows it to happen; it was especially powerful here.

Wonderful job! :)
MadeOfStars chapter 1 . 4/5/2010
Love it of course! Eyes are very hard to describe and so many things are wordless, defying description but are still so stunningly real. Great job putting *that* into words. :)