Reviews for I Think I See The Light
pisceanchic101 chapter 1 . 6/10/2012
Nice story, I really enjoyed reading it. :) It's nice to see Helga act herself.
Zephyr.Camida chapter 1 . 4/24/2012
Hmm. I wasn't sure what to make of this as I started reading. Of course, two sentences later I was immersing myself in the scenery you were painting. Helga is such a fun character to mold, simply for the fact that there are so many possibilities to her. Like a clay you mold to your will. *sighs* I feel like this Helga you have would be someone I'd totally want to be friends with, bitchy exterior or not. She's alone; but she breathes personality even when there is no one there to show it to. The combination of walking through a cemetery, humming tunes, and eating take out chinese of all things...I dunno. It felt- charming. Haha. I can't even describe it, I just loved it. I'm stumbling over words kinda like Arnold was! I also liked that these seemingly very different aspects were in the end the things that pulled the story forward. I loved the incorporation of the song and the fortune cookies! Overall, for a simple scene that maybe transpired over an hour or so, you crammed a lot of substance and life into it. Bravo!
Kimmiko T chapter 1 . 11/4/2011
I love this story!

Thanx!
anlmoon chapter 1 . 12/12/2010
very good, i like the movie harold and maude. though it was a tad weird
Jilly chapter 1 . 12/9/2010
Yay for your writing!

Not that it matters, but like :]
Alwaysanonymous2 chapter 1 . 9/16/2010
Beautiful fanfic!
Thundercatroar chapter 1 . 4/8/2010
You know, when I first read, I thought you meant Bea Arthur's "Maude" but then the theme songs didn't match up.

*Facedesk*

Moving on...

I loved it, you never cease to amaze me.

'Roar
acosta perez jose ramiro chapter 1 . 4/7/2010
Nice one.

Keep the good writing.
Pyrex Shards chapter 1 . 4/7/2010
This fanfic had me hooked on the first paragraph right when you described the vapor rising from the sunlight hitting the rain-soaked road. It's one of those little things that we've all seen before but take it for granted until someone uses it as well as you did to set the scene in a story.

In fact all of the description in this story is flawless. From the sights and the sounds, to the bird perching awkwardkly in a tree blowing around in he wind. Not to mention the choice of a cemetery as the backdrop. It adds so much more poetry.

I think the most striking part however is your treatment of Arnold in this story. You don't necessarily make him into some sort of villian, and it is obvious to the reader that Helga still loves him. But his "do good not evil" attitude seems to be taking its toll on him. He is truly naive to the workings of the world if his reaction to Helga is any indication.

He's not Helga's savior, he's not Helga's anything other than her football head. He's a normal person with normal character flaws. Which is awesome.

As for Helga... There's too many fanfics out there that seem to portray Helga as vulnerable to Arnold when she's herself. You've don't do that here. You portray Helga as a fully functioning Human being. She doesn't have the bully persona around Arnold in this case, but she also doesn't give him too much wiggle room, hence his reaction. Her statement about Arnold's head being full of empty space. I was grinning when I read that. It works! It makes sense! And best of all it is faithful to both characters! Really though, I wouldn't expect any less. You continue to impress me with your grasp of the characters.

This is a very gutsy and one-of-a-kind fanfic. Bravo! Now to read more of your work. I'm behind... :(

"That wasn't chicken" : Found on a fortune cookie.
J'aime ma vie chapter 1 . 4/7/2010
I knew this story was going to be awesome the moment you said it was inspired by Harold and Maude with songs by Yusuf Islam, AKA Cat Stevens, to add to it. I love that movie!

Helga walking down the street singing along to Cat Stevens makes her awesomeness gage rise several million notches in my book. I thoroughly enjoyed seeing a happier, more upbeat, much more humanized Helga, eating her Chinese food, singing like there's no tomorrow, and embracing what life's given her. It's refreshing to see her just be herself without feeling like she has to put up all these protective walls around her. Most writers don't put out that concept of Helga embracing the freedom she has to be herself, so it's great that you did that.

Arnold's curiosity and bewilderment was a great touch too. It proves that he's human and not entirely perfect like a lot of fics make him out to be. I think him being taken back by Helga's niceness and her true self is the more realistic approach he'd take as opposed to just embracing it outright. I think that in order for Arnold to truly love Helga, he must learn to get to know her real self and not let the hard exterior she's put up around herself over the years shadow that. Helga is very complicated that way, but I do love the little acts of kindness she showed Arnold, just because she can.

"A wise woman once said it's best not to be too moral. You cheat yourself out of too much life. And she was right, you know? If all you do is work on being moral and good to all mankind, you never take a chance and the next thing you know, you're sitting in a hospice home wondering where life went."

That line was just brilliant. And I do love that Helga told Arnold that Maude taught it to her. I could just see that reference flying over his head, but I find it fantastic that Helga can pull one of life's most brilliant lessons from the Dame Marjorie "Maude" Chardin herself. Lastly, the title of your fic is just wonderful, a great reference to both Cat Stevens and the movie.

All in all, this was a beautiful fic that I absolutely loved reading! Thank you for writing this! :)