Reviews for Better Off Dead
Silaya Arctic Prower chapter 1 . 12/7/2013
three words. ho. ly. fuck. seven more and two sentences. that was som craaaazy shit right there. and i loved it. call me crazy but whatevs.
Mike Prower the Fox chapter 1 . 8/29/2010
Well, someone's rather irate!
KittyNakajimaX chapter 1 . 7/24/2010
From what I gather, this is allegory for certain writers and their stories on (or any other fan fiction site). I could tell that right away, especially as you had Sonic and other characters literally take the role of actors, which is essentially what fan fiction does; each fan author is essentially the playwright/director/camera crew of their own story with a set of usually well known characters.

Anyway, what stuck out most were the characters of John, Narcissus, and Mogtai, which I took as the common sense fan writer and the oft egotistical novice, respectively. John's utter frustration with the latter's antics in disrupting the film shoot resonate with me with things I've seen several times before on this site. A fan posts a hastily typed, ill thought story, receives a tiny bit of praise, and proceeds to spam with more of the same because it was given attention. Then freaks out/ignores when flaws and other things are pointed out to them in a critique. Sadly, a good portion of falls pray to that, and you have to really dig through it to find the gems that get hidden behind all of that.

John would seem to be the type that would go beyond simply ignoring it and voicing their opinions by giving those types of stories/writers critiques in the hopes that they'd improve or fix their work. And taking a bullet or two to their head out of sheer frustration. While critiques might not be wanted by everyone it never hurts to be honest with folks about what you liked and/or disliked, and what could be improved upon. It can only help them - from improving the quality of their work to potentially increasing the number of people who might enjoy it.

As for me and my co-author being name dropped as highly honored guests in the story, I have to say that we're both honored and humbled by the gesture. We're hardly consider ourselves among the greats, but we thank you for considering us as such. It's motivation to get continue to update our works while improving our craft at the same time.

I can also apply this story to fan artists and artwork as well, as I've seen one too many Mogtai/Narcissus type fan artists act in a similar light.

All in all, this was a pretty interesting read, as you applied the regular gripes of a common sense reader into a classic, yet hilarious scenario. Like the saying goes in Hollywood "I don't want to write. I want to direct."