Reviews for Warm and Yellow in a City of Gray
wotumba1 chapter 1 . 2/12/2014
what a terrible day for the people!

the only therapy a lot of people accept, dogs are miracle workers
Jaz22 chapter 1 . 3/11/2011
Beautiful tribute story with the characters nicely woven in.
TJ-TeeJay chapter 1 . 1/16/2011
So I went and read your story. And I love it, in a very bittersweet kind of way. Not that I have any personal experience with 9-11, you know, other than watching the disaster on television, like I guess most of us not in New York at the time did. Of course for us in Germany, it was the middle of the afternoon. I was still studying at university and was actually at home, writing my diploma thesis. I dragged my roommate out of the shower when I heard. I saw on TV live when the second plane hit. I think the whole world stood still with shock on that day.

Your backstory for Satchmo is also great, and I think a very real possibility. What I love even more is the part about where Peter tells Neal to grieve. Post 1x14 aftermath stories have a special place in my heart.
nynine chapter 1 . 8/8/2010
Sad but wonderfully done. How much we all lost that day!

Along with Hiroshima and the destruction of Jesuralem, it will always stand as a symbol of unthinkable loss. You chose well.
SK Musings chapter 1 . 4/23/2010
Very powerful story. I am truly an in awe of your ability to vividly describe these scenes and how you incorporated the White Collar story line into it. The scene with Neal and Satchmo was very tender and touching. I am glad that you were able to show such respect in handling this very difficult topic.
Sparky Dorian chapter 1 . 4/15/2010
Aw... You always make your 'fics so awesome. That was sad... I was in first grade or so on 9-11, but I still remember it being horrible. That was a good way for Peter to help Neal, I think, and I liked how you brought Satchmo in. Well done.
MizDenton chapter 1 . 4/14/2010
This is an absolutely wonderful beautifully done story. I had tears rolling down my face and that is a rarity for me. You have been utterly respectful to those who were lost, those who lost someone and those who survived.

I have never read a fic story that involved 9/11 in it. I couldn't bear it. Yours is the first. I could see everything happening just as if I was watching it on the television. You have a gift.

I live nowhere near New York City. I live in Deep South but I was teaching high school when the events of 9/11 unfolded and one of my co-workers had grandchildren who lived in NYC. They were fine, it just took a while to find them.

I had Ninth graders and I remember watching in stunned silence the events unfolded on the tv in the classroom and realizing that I couldn't show my fear in front of my students. I can only imagine the horror of those who were actually there.

Thank you for sharing this story. I appreciate it.
tigerlily0 chapter 1 . 4/12/2010
Very sad, made me cry.
Olivia Sutton chapter 1 . 4/12/2010
I read this the other day on LJs - and it's incredibly good Ursula. Very respectful - and beautifully written.

I loved how you tied everything together with the dog (Satchmo's mother) comforting Peter and Satchmo then comforting Neal.

The only thing - ONLY - thing, and it's just my personal preference, is I just don't buy that Peter's *always* been in the White Collar unit or that he and El have always lived in NYC. People move - they change careers - they move UP in their careers. Peter's a supervisor, and in an organization like the FBI there's a good chance he physically moved locations when he was promoted. (I'd buy that he was in NYC but not White Collar Unit oddly enough :-)

I think I just don't like the idea of a character being static, especially an intelligent, professional career-oriented person.

But, again, that's JUST ME and MY view on the characters. It might have been hard to do this story if you didn't transport our Peter nearly 10 years into the past just as he is now.

(FWIW - My view is that Peter was moved from another East Coast city to New York after the tragedy basically to replace agents that were lost. And yeah, that *would* be angsty for him. I picture El has having a different job, and the move & everything inspiring her to go back to school and start her own business.).

-Olivia
peppe1951 chapter 1 . 4/11/2010
Wow...what a powerful story...where were you when 9/11 happened? I was getting ready for work; shocked at what had happened...with this story all of those memories resurfaced...you did an excellent job with this story...
Enfleurage chapter 1 . 4/11/2010
Very powerful and something that I probably couldn't have read without the distance of 9 1/2 years. I worked downtown during the 93 bombing (& around the clock for days afterwards) and had just moved upstate in 2001. I'm sure that even those who didn't know people killed there that day were affected. You tread on sacred ground but you did it respectfully and with great care. I loved how you tied it all together with the unconditional love of a dog.
Ultracape chapter 1 . 4/11/2010
Beautiful story.

I was supposed to go into NYC that day but got delayed. My neighbor across the street lost her son in the towers and one of her other sons worked for the F.B.I. They had their office in the towers at the first bombing but moved them after that happened.

Got a lot of memories of that day. You did the event justice. Thank you.
Gloworm41 chapter 1 . 4/11/2010
Wow! Awesome story - loved the end with Neal and Sachimo.
Wondo chapter 1 . 4/11/2010
From title to completion - beautiful! Powerful idea linking Peter and Elizabeth to 9-11.
Surreal13 chapter 1 . 4/11/2010
This is perfect. I briefly touched on Sept. 11th in "What Remains" but I hadn't gone into this kind of detail yet. I've been hoping someone would write about it, and I'm glad it was you.

This was so beautifully written, pitch-perfect and absolutely true to what the following days were like for the people who worked to rescue, and then recover at Ground Zero.

This is by far the most tastefully done 9/11 fic I've ever read. You honor those who fell, and honor those who served during those terrible days.

And Satchmo...of course he'd be the perfect one to bring some healing to Neal's wounded spirit. I love that you made him a 'flunkie', but only because his body was too big, not his heart.

I sniffled and teared up during this fic, and that's hard to get me to do.

Thank you for writing this!