Reviews for Avenger Have Mercy
TJ Jordan chapter 1 . 9/17/2013
Me again. ;)

Alright, I just had to do another review. I just love this story. ;)

Like I said before, I love that this story takes the point of view of Mercedes and we take a good peak into her mind, allowing us to feel what she feels. I have to say, just from reading this story, I was in tears from how Mercedes felt. This is a woman who went through her own hard times. Lets take a good old look down Memory Lane. She lost her true love on the eve of their wedding, felt alone, married the last man she wanted to marry to escape her pain, lives a miserable life, ends up with regret when Edmond returns, fearing for her son's life, and is all alone in Marseille after Edmond's revenge is complete. Now that is a tough life. I really feel bad for her. :(

In the original novel, I really loved Mercedes. She (sort of) remained the same throughout the years, still had a kind heart, but lost her smile and happiness along the way. We could tell that Edmond was he only person who made her happy. In the other adaptions she is okay, but nothing will ever top how Mercedes is done in the novel. This is a woman who had endured pain and suffering, and still managed to keep her innocents and the will to love as well. This is a real woman right there! ;)

I do get that a lot of people love the original ending where Edmond ends up with Haydee. I do see it as a deus-ex-machine and I actually kind of liked it. But it wasn't the ending that I was rooting for. I was hoping for a more emotional, heartfelt ending where Mercedes confronts Edmond for the final time, wanting to reclaim her lost love once more, and just have to where Edmond lets go of his vengeance and gives in to his love for her and just live in Marseille with her, forever. That was the type of ending that I original thought we were going to get when I was reading the novel. Don't get me wrong, I do love how Edmond finds the will to love Haydee and let go of his vengeance. But I just feel unsatisfied with the ending of the novel for some reason. I mean, Mercedes is now living in Marseille, all alone and nothing to live for, except for her son (who has joined the army). There just isn't any type of satisfaction with her character in the end. I was hoping that Mercedes would end up with Edmond. I mean, look at the 2002 movie, they end up together in a very romantic way. Heck, I even hoped that Haydee and Albert would fall in love in the novel. I really thought that Haydee and Albert would make a nice couple. :)

I do love how Edmond expresses his own emotions through actions and allows us to see that through Mercedes. You did an amazing job at showing us what the Count of Monte Cristo is like through other people's eyes. :)

Anyway, this story was beautifully written and I could feel all the emotions that were being expressed at the time. You really did an amazing job writing this story! ;)
TJ Jordan chapter 1 . 9/17/2013
A great story that really captures the attention of the original scene from the novel, with some translations and a few new added parts. Nice work! ;)

I really love that this story takes the point of view of Mercedes. We get to see what is going on inside her mind and soul, allowing us to know how she felt. I could feel the pain, suffering, and sadness within her. The words that describe everything made me cry for her. You did a great job at doing this point of view on Mercedes. I always loved her character from the novel and wished that she had a much better ending than how it was done in the novel. But you did an incredible job with Mercedes in this story. Just an incredible job! ;)

Compared to how this scene went in the novel, I actually like this version better. For one, it has a way better translation and the feelings that are expressed between Edmond and Mercedes is just beautiful. Despite the vengeance that lies deep within Edmond's heart, you can sense that he is still in love with Mercedes. The way how he spoke Mercedes's name, how he moved his arms around Mercedes when she kissed him, and how he had his face into Mercedes's hair while hugging her. All of those are huge references that he is still in love with Mercedes. We even know that Mercedes is still in love with Edmond (since she says it a billion times). Heck, we all know that Edmond is Mercedes's one true love. End of story! ;) But anyway, this scene was written way better than it was in the novel. But that's just my opinion. :)

Okay, I get that Edmond is taking revenge on Villefort, Danglars, and Mondego (or Morcerf, which ever name he goes by) for ruining his life and all, but why the heck is he doing all of this to Mercedes?! I mean, the girl thought he was dead and she was left with nothing to live for. She was lonely and longing for someone to love her (which would be Edmond). Horrible idea of her to marry Fernand, I get that, but Edmond can't take that out on her. She was young, in love, alone, wanting to be loved, and she didn't know what Fernand did! I say that she should get a pass for crying out loud! If there was one person who didn't deserve to be punished, it was Mercedes. She did nothing wrong to Edmond or even play a part in him getting arrested. Okay, maybe I got a little to far with my anger at Edmond, but you got to admit, it makes sense.

When I read the final end to the novel, I did love that Maximilien and Valentine are reunited and that Max had fully expressed his for love for Valentine by wanting to die in order to be with her. Out of everyone in the whole freaking novel, both Max and Valentine deserved a happy ending. There is the argument for Albert and Mercedes, but that's a different story. But the most emotional part was when Haydee (or Haidee, however it is spelt) professed her love for Edmond and suddenly had Edmond falling in love with her too. Now that was a beautiful ending! I do love it, but I was actually pretty disappointed. Don't get me wrong, I do agree that Edmond and Haydee falling in love was a great deus-ex-machine for the story, but I was left unsatisfied for Mercedes. I really hoped that Mercedes and Edmond would end back up together and the two would just finally forgive each other and get married. No offense or anything, but that was one of the small problems I had with the novel. But despite that, I really did enjoy the ending with Edmond and Haydee falling in love.

The ending to this story that you made was beautiful and great! I really enjoyed it and I love the kiss that Mercedes shares with Edmond before she leaves. It was beautiful, heartfelt, and even made me cry. You did a beautiful job and I just love this story that you created (or recreated). ;)

Keep up the amazing work! You are one great writer! ;)
swfan101 chapter 1 . 12/9/2012
I agree the book ending was good... Until I saw the movie ending.

Good story!
Josc chapter 1 . 8/6/2012
Great details-I love how you write. I want them to be together so much-why does it have to end the other way!
Hayal Kurmak chapter 1 . 6/6/2011
Sweet! I certainly think a lot was going through Mercedes's mind in the scene; you filled what was missing well.

I, however, am glad they didn't get back together in the end.
foreverandaday97 chapter 1 . 1/4/2011
Yea i hated the ending too. Haydee annoys me. I dont exactly know why. But i loved this. Fluffy with a bit of an edge. ;)
IrregularHonour chapter 1 . 11/16/2010
I really enjoyed this! You captured the tension and characters beautifully. The Count would be a difficult character to write, due to the complexity of the story- and you did a very good job of it. Well done!
DirigiblePlum chapter 1 . 8/24/2010
Beautifully written, and you really captured the emotion Mercedes must have been feeling, that Dumas never really focuses on.

I always found her ending very unsatisfying- she becomes an poor old woman living alone, while her former lover sails off into the sunset with the young and beautiful Haydee, who up until an hour or so before he had seen as a daughter.

(And because as I was reading I thought it would end Dantes/Mercedes and Haydee/Albert and then felt confused when it didn't...)
Alex Prosper chapter 1 . 6/20/2010
Lol I totally agree with you about the ending.

This was beautiful! Stark and rife with emotion. I love how you describe Edmond's changing facial expressions seen through Mercedes - what a delightful touch. I really enjoyed the little bit of E/M you put in. You had both their characters perfect.

(groans) it;s so heard for me to find fanfics this good in the Count of Monte Cristo category, by writers with talent who actually read the book. I hope you have more of this when I check your profile - and if not, please do not deprive me! :)
booface16 chapter 1 . 6/5/2010
LOVE THIS FIC! You portrayed Mercedes's emotions so well, lovely.
King Caspian the Seafarer chapter 1 . 5/3/2010
Beautiful. Absolutely beautiful.

The line "He had Edmund's eyes" gave me a chill, and the bit that surrounded it. The plot of the Count of Monte Cristo is so complex already...and you've added a lovely thread with a bit of Mercedes emotion that wasn't quite there in the actual book. I always loved that scene...but now I'll love it even more. ;)

Lion be with you,

KC
Lucrecia LeVrai chapter 1 . 4/19/2010
Ever since I watched Gankutsuou, an anime based on the Count of Monte Cristo, and consequently remembered the book I read in my childhood more than once, I've been searching – frantically, fruitlessly – for a fic like yours. Thank you so much for writing this one-shot! I enjoyed every word of it, not only because it was focused on my favorite couple and one of my favorite scenes in the book, but mainly because it was such a well written, insightful piece, unlike most Monte Cristo fanfiction I've seen to this day. I liked how you chose Mercedes' point of view for this scene, and I think you portrayed her inner turmoil very well – but also the count's feelings, which I was able to catch a glimpse of. All in all, you did a great job of this piece!