Reviews for Red Rogues
King Tarol chapter 5 . 9/9/2010
Every good SoA fanfic needs more Gilder. No exceptions. I just wonder how he'll react when dealing with Skye and Vanessa, who aren't exactly ugly. This next chapter's going to be pretty fun, I'm assuming.

Other than that, I don't have much to say outside of what I usually do; this is well-written work. The characters get by on their own wits and sometimes a pinch of luck, but none of them are perfect. The flow is still good, the mechanics are still good, and you show rather than tell your story, in a manner of speaking. It's all very good.
King Tarol chapter 4 . 9/9/2010
A well-written chapter as usual, but there are two details that are bugging me: first, isn't a Black Pirate the opposite of a Blue Rogue, and not a Red Rogue? second, what was the defining event that changed the friendship of the Red Rogues? Again, it's quite all right if you don't answer the second question, unless you don't plan on answering that with your story. It just seemed that there were some rather important inconsistencies. No one just wakes up one morning and thinks, "Oh, I think I'll be horribly cruel to a friend of mine, and turn it into some nasty rivalry over the course of a few years."

With that said, though, it's good to see the balance you maintain in talking about the characters' thought processes. It toes the line between showing and telling quite neatly, in my opinion.
King Tarol chapter 3 . 4/23/2010
Well, that was certainly a high-quality, entertaining chapter.

The scenes were funny (except for the whole Drachma leaving the party for the umpteenth time bit; that always annoys me), and it left me with a few questions:

Why would they steal from Sailor's Island shops, only to then grab a Valuan cargo shipment and give it to a Sailor's Island tavern? I suppose that just means that they're personal friends of Polly or something.

Furthermore, does this mean that they're just slightly-less-scrupulous versions of Blue Rogues?

And why do I get the feeling that Milon, Gunthor, and Ivan are just a LITTLE more important to the plot than they seem right now? Minor characters with names bring my Writer's Senses to attention; I'll have to see if those guy are Chekhov's Guns of any sort.

No, I don't expect you to answer my questions right now; I just brought them up so that you can see if your writing is doing what you want it to do, and focusing the readers' attention in the right directions. So it's more for you than me, really.

Again, though, good work.
King Tarol chapter 2 . 4/18/2010
Heh; dynamic, playful characters with a bit of a penchant for disagreeing with one another for no good reason. If these characters are based off of you, I kinda pity you. Otherwise, it makes for some really good writing. As much as I want to label them as the "bad guys" for their style of thievery (that is, without much in the way of conscience), they're such "normal" people at all other times that it doesn't quite feel right to do so. These aren't your bumbling idiot thieves, but they aren't quite good guys either. They're somewhere in between, and it'll be great fun to see where they end up. You all seem like you're having a LOT of fun with this story, which is somewhat uncommon among writers, so I want to see more.
King Tarol chapter 1 . 4/18/2010
OK, aside from the well-worn opening line, this is good work. It nearly oozes characterization and good plot flow, and those are the two hallmarks of a truly good writer. Your grammar's good too, but hey, anyone can do that with a good enough word processor and education. To some extent, knowledge of personality and plot are things that a writer just...HAS. And you have them. Normally, little tangents within writing, like asides from the narrator, tend to clutter up a story. Your little tangent about Aika's personality, however, actually toed the line and made the story a little richer. It gave it more of an "I'm right here telling you this story" feel. I also have to agree with the others who have reviewed your work thus far. They're excellent Skies of Arcadia fanfic writers in their own right; they know what they're talking about, and I think they might just be looking forward to this next chapter as much as I am.
MagicMissile chapter 1 . 4/17/2010
Whoa, this is a good story. I actually read everything to my amazement. The part where you added "Vyse's Mother" always crossed my mind too. I just started playing the game again. Hm...looks like I gotta finish the game first. However, Red Rogues this early? You mean like Vize the Legend? Well, I'll read this later...after I finished the game. (Woudln't want to spoil anything for me) Oh yeah and I also wanted to say Drachma's personality was so...Drachma. Good job! I like this!
hitsukarinluvr chapter 2 . 4/16/2010
Haha well update soon.

p.s. SoA was my first obsession.
hitsukarinluvr chapter 1 . 4/16/2010
This is very interesting. It's been a while since anyone wrote anything new...dont be offended by it though, this is for you and you only to enjoy being proud of your stories, well awesome plot. I am going to read the next chapter now!
ImonZ chapter 1 . 4/13/2010
This looks interesting. The characterization is good, and you wary the language well enough.

I checked up your pictures, and it seems you've planned for a long ride. Very interesting.